Author Topic: Doubles Tournament: Round 1, Week 2  (Read 1406 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Doubles Tournament: Round 1, Week 2
« on: July 13, 2015, 02:32:16 AM »
Same disclaimers as Week 1 apply.  Week 1 will remain open for another day or two as well.

Blue Mage and Summoner (Final Fantasy V) vs Groudon and Exeggcutor (Pokémon)
Ernest Raviede and Rena Lanford (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Zelos Wilder and Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia)
Lightning Farron and Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Hiro and Jean (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue)
Hilda and Ricardo (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Eirika and Ephraim (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)

Lulu and Wakka (Final Fantasy X) vs Riou and Jowy (Suikoden II)
Lang and Sharon (Legaia 2: Dual Saga) vs Mesarthim and Zozma (Saga Frontier)
Vayne Aurelius and Pamela Ibis (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) vs Vyse and Fina (Skies of Arcadia)
Layna and Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Cthulhu and Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
Re: Doubles Tournament: Round 1, Week 2
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 04:08:29 AM »
Blue Mage and Summoner (Final Fantasy V) vs Groudon and Exeggcutor (Pokémon)
Ernest Raviede and Rena Lanford (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Zelos Wilder and Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia)
Lightning Farron and Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Hiro and Jean (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue) - I think? Jean may have some status that can cause problems but I'm not sure the Lunar team can put on a lot of pressure.
Hilda and Ricardo (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Eirika and Ephraim (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)

Lulu and Wakka (Final Fantasy X) vs Riou and Jowy (Suikoden II) - Is the stat topic about Forgiver Sign being ITD correct? If so, I'd presume Riou blows up Lulu with it, Jowy Hungry Friends and then Wakka... uh... Well, he can Osmose Jowy, but... I don't think that really helps him any? If Forgiver Sign isn't ITD then things become a lot more complicated, I'd think.
Vayne Aurelius and Pamela Ibis (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) vs Vyse and Fina (Skies of Arcadia)
Layna and Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Cthulhu and Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 04:18:26 AM »
Honestly Lulu's MDef isn't saving her from a Forgiver Sign OHKO regardless, but yeah it's ITD from what we know (even does full damage to Luca if hacked in?).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 04:19:42 AM »
Blue Mage and Summoner (Final Fantasy V) vs Groudon and Exeggcutor (Pokémon) - sure wynaut
Ernest Raviede and Rena Lanford (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Zelos Wilder and Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia) - uhh sure
Hilda and Ricardo (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Eirika and Ephraim (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) - On the off-chance that Ricardo can actually do anything meaningful to keep Hilda from dying, I'd think he's in that range where the wondertwins being mounted still beat him out anyways.

Lulu and Wakka (Final Fantasy X) vs Riou and Jowy (Suikoden II) - Riou and Jowy are both faster.  The end.
Layna and Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Cthulhu and Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World) - sure
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 02:13:09 AM by Random Consonant »

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 07:53:27 AM »
Blue Mage and Summoner (Final Fantasy V) vs Groudon and Exeggcutor (Pokémon)- Pokemon can take out one person turn 1 (Summoner, since it has the MT status. Blue Mage might too though). Then status ties up one and neither can OHKO.
Ernest Raviede and Rena Lanford (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Zelos Wilder and Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia)- Man, what a terrible, terrible match. But Ernest/Rena seems like a pairing with little in sync besides Growth, which would work better on any other fighter.
Lightning Farron and Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Hiro and Jean (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue)- I don't let FF 13 characters fire off a few random things early, so Hiro and Jean's superior speed trumps here.
Hilda and Ricardo (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Eirika and Ephraim (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)- Kill Curvy Hilda before she gets a turn, no one form threatens here.

Lang and Sharon (Legaia 2: Dual Saga) vs Mesarthim and Zozma (Saga Frontier)- Block Stun, Sharon Charms. Semi gut.
Vayne Aurelius and Pamela Ibis (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) vs Vyse and Fina (Skies of Arcadia)- Well, in order to take out Pamela, they need to wait until turn 2. By then, Fina has been blown into the stratosphere.
...into the nightfall.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 08:42:38 AM »
Blue Mage and Summoner (Final Fantasy V) vs Groudon and Exeggcutor (Pokémon) - EDIT: Abstain, I was thinking Pokemon vs. status = lolz no, but apparently the Pokes have an argument.
Lightning Farron and Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Hiro and Jean (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue)
I guess I'm willing to let FF13 block Fog to stop Paralysis, although it's shaky.  Anyway they're gonna need Death resistance, Daze/Sleep resistance, AND Paralysis (=Fog?) resistance, so they eat whatever penalty there is for going 3 accessories deep into status blockers, and it's just resistance, so they can still maybe get status'd out?  Luckily for them, Hiro + Jean damage barely doesn't KO Lightning.  However, Lightning + Snow damage barely KOs Jean, although the blocker penalty might screw that up.  (If you let Hope/Vanille have Commando that also screws things up for the FF13 pair.)  Anyway, if they can nail Jean on turn 1, even if Lightning is statused on turn 2...  uh...  can Snow 2HKO?  Uh.  Nope.  So the ID train continues with 2 more attempts for Hiro.  I guess both Lightning & Snow can equip 3 Death Blockers though, and hope for the best vs. Jean's status, since she will only have 1 turn to make it happen...  is a 50% chance + a hugely resisted ID enough for turn 1?  Probably not.  Seems kinda cheesy, very much a DL interps thing, but I'm inclined to tiebreak against status, although Jean sleep landing is obviously deadly here.
EDIT: Uh will take another look at this when it's not 4 AM.
Hilda probably counts as a monster.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:35:50 PM by SnowFire »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 01:54:22 PM »
Blue Mage and Summoner (Final Fantasy V) vs Groudon and Exeggutor (Pokémon) - EDIT: OKAY, so Exeggutor and Groudon put down Summoner. Then, Blue Mage... uhhhhh... I'm honestly not too sure Blue Mage can do a hell of a lot unless you want to hype L5 Death because Pokémon stat topic levels are taken at a multiple of 5 (and that would likely invite making stat topic levels at non-multiples just for -that- sake and so screw that shit). Moon Flute feels like an invitation to murder against Groudon and it's not even turn one on average (if it misses Groudon even once, death comes even faster). Mind Blast doesn't work as lockdown against a full team. BM's deadlier status comes at a turn two average. Maybe Mighty Guard could let him pull off -some- kind of shenanigans, but I sorta doubt it, Exeggutor under Sunlight has actual offense. I donno, guys.
Claire "Lightning" Farron and Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Hiro and Jean (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue) - EBO Hiro and Jean have it even better, perfect MT ID rips Light and Snow in tiny ribbons.
Hildagarde Valentine and Ricardo Gomez (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Eirika and Ephraim (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) - I can't fathom what could Ricardo possibly do to stop Eirika and Eph from punting Curvy Hilda into the sun, and none of the other forms can do anything remotely resembling relevance.

Lulu and Wakka (Final Fantasy X) vs Riou and Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) - Hungry Friend => Forgiver Sign before anything moves, holy shit.
Lang and Sharon (Legaia 2: Dual Saga) vs Mesarthim and Zozma (Saga Frontier) - EDIT: Right, Mes doesn't have the MysticMail. Burp.
Layna and Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Cthulhu and Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World) - EDIT: Nevermind, Blind is great.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:23:14 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 03:37:20 PM »
Exeggutor's speed doubles in sunlight so it should be the fastest fighter in that match.

Fog is rather clearly silence, I don't see the comparison to paralysis? It doesn't matter, Jean has another status not listed in the stat thread: charm. I think it's not listed because I didn't want to test how it worked in a duel, but this isn't a duel anyway, so here's what it does: makes the target attack random allies with a dinky 1-hit EBC physical.

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 03:54:59 PM »
Exeggutor's speed doubles in sunlight so it should be the fastest fighter in that match.

Oh right, this is gen 3. Forgot about that!

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 05:39:35 PM »
Lightning Farron and Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Hiro and Jean (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue)- Faster.

Vayne Aurelius and Pamela Ibis (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) vs Vyse and Fina (Skies of Arcadia)- FINA?! Good gods. >_<
Layna and Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Cthulhu and Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World)- Strong kneejerk.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 02:43:05 AM »

Vayne Aurelius and Pamela Ibis (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) vs Vyse and Fina (Skies of Arcadia)- FINA?! Good gods. >_<

Yeah, wonder what doofus did that.
(I honestly thought about just changing it to Aika but thought "naaah, I should do it as nommed shouldn't I")

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 03:11:53 AM »
I meant to nom Aika htere, so that's me being spacey.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 04:58:50 PM »
Blue Mage and Summoner (Final Fantasy V) vs Groudon and Exeggcutor (Pokémon): Yeah, Eruption + Solar Beam kills Summoner and does a bunch of damage to Blue Mage. At this point Blue Mage can... status out one of them, but either can finish the 2HKO next turn. Or use Vampire, but that doesn't KO and then both are around to 2HKO. Or Mighty Guard, but then the combined damage of both kills. Yeah, the opponents just have too much magic damage, too fast.
Lightning Farron and Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Hiro and Jean (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue): Yeah Lightning/Snow aren't one-rounding anything, while every single Concussion Sword Hiro gets off is potentially deadly. Honestly even if I did see Lightning+Snow one-rounding, a Concussion Sword + an Enchanted Kiss (or whatever)... that's three shots of effectively fatal status, one of those is going to land regardless of the statusblocker situation.
Hilda and Ricardo (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Eirika and Ephraim (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones): Ricardo's evade-booster could grant Hilda a turn, but not like I see Grand Slam as turn 1 here anyway. So the twins kill Ricardo, Hilda revives him, repeat until the time Ricardo spends dead costs him a turn or one of the twins crits or Hilda runs out of MP? Yeah that's not working. So YOLO Grand Slam is the only hope, and even if that hits Hilda has to pray you don't see her as weak to monster-slaying weapons and... actually even if not will need to hit with Grand Slam next turn too, as revival gets her killed the turn after and leaves Ricardo vs. someone he can't beat.

Lulu and Wakka (Final Fantasy X) vs Riou and Jowy (Suikoden II): Ow. Best-case scenario is Wakka barely survives Hungry Friend and dies to Shining Light next turn. Pretty sure I see him being OHKOed anyway, though.
Lang and Sharon (Legaia 2: Dual Saga) vs Mesarthim and Zozma (Saga Frontier): 50% stun resistance + petrify immunity is probably enough here seeing as Mesarthim is not immune to charm.
Layna and Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Cthulhu and Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World): Uh... this is difficult. Should Vitali be in Layna's room or not? Mmm, never mind, no way he gets a turn in his own room, so he's in Layna's. But either way, it feels like an uphill fight for the SN team, as their typing advantage on male swordsmen + spears isn't that great (just a 15% damage cut for Cthulhu). Blind Strike is horrible for Layna, and speed-twinked Umi gets a turn for sure. Meanwhile, Vitali's still easy to kill and can't use field tactics. Layna can try to buff but isn't soloing this considering Umi's bevy of status options.

Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 12:12:36 PM »
Layna and Vitali are getting free counters (that include 80% MT healing) that should allow them to stall and put pressure on until Layna gets her Limit which is likely match right there.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 12:18:21 PM »
Problem there is that, once Umi lands Blind, she can very easily set up a OHKO on Vitali (Cute Pose + Siren's Call => whatever should make him EXPLODE), and Layna can't really do much of anything to stop that in time. I'm probably going to edit my vote there.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 07:59:13 PM »
Pretty sure the Limit is ITE so Blind isn't stopping the KO and I doubt the Cthulhu team is taking out Layna before she can hit that Limit on like turn two with counters...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 08:48:19 PM »
Limits can absolutely miss, and Layna's is turn 3 assuming two counters for what it's worth. It's also listed as "targeting the leader" so you'd have to let her choose who to hit (i.e. see Cthulhu and Umi in different squads?) with it otherwise it's pretty clear Cthulhu is the leader and hitting him with it isn't useful... but there's targetting weirdness on both sides in matches involving SN so I could see throwing that out. EDIT: I probably would? I really have no idea...

On the note of targetting weirdness, given the way SN targetting works you might see Cthulhu's protect (semi-unique defend command since only half the cast gets it, draws attacks) as accomplishing something here, but again I'm not sure. It's another respect check the SN team has to pass, though, since Cthulhu really wants to do this if it will be useful, I suspect, since Umi's turns are so much more valuable than his own (Blind, Stun, Cute Pose, etc.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:35:06 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 07:27:11 AM »
Blue Mage and Summoner (Final Fantasy V)- i vs Groudon and Exeggcutor (Pokémon)- iii
Ernest Raviede and Rena Lanford (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Zelos Wilder and Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia)- iii
Lightning Farron and Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII)- i vs Hiro and Jean (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue)- iiii
Hilda and Ricardo (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Eirika and Ephraim (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)- iiiiii

Lulu and Wakka (Final Fantasy X) vs Riou and Jowy (Suikoden II)- iiiiiii
Lang and Sharon (Legaia 2: Dual Saga)- iiii vs Mesarthim and Zozma (Saga Frontier)
Vayne Aurelius and Pamela Ibis (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis)- ii vs Vyse and Fina (Skies of Arcadia)
Layna and Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)- i vs Cthulhu and Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World)- iii