Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194267 times)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2800 on: August 28, 2015, 10:30:07 PM »
It is pretty far from terrible, but it definitely makes it feel like a much smaller studio's $25 games that runs in a free copy of Unreal 3.  Then the actual plot is Square with the melodrama cranked up to 16.

Yeah this is the perfect description for this game.
This + Glamrock hair

Grefter, 2 might seem like the most bland party member but you should definitely use her in battle. Because https://youtu.be/KMf6NdM55ws?t=1m32s
In fact you should use everybody for the hell of it, it's fun

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: August 28, 2015, 10:48:01 PM »
Oh I also forgot to mention that their teacher is totes that ninja from Naruto.

Also he came into the room while I was being date raped.  He seemed unhappy about it but didn't do anything to stop it.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: August 29, 2015, 02:29:24 AM »
Phew. Rk

Eiko event mastered. Had to use a mithril on the boss rush, but Beatrix I squeaked by each of her fights. Lost 3 medals each time.

Now, I have to beat that Seymour fight so I can get that smn rm.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: August 29, 2015, 03:55:52 AM »
Star Ocean 3 - Five hours in or so, just reached Arias.

To some extent this is a tale of two games so far. The first couple hours are terrible. Awful. Bad game is bad. First of all, there's hardly any gameplay, and what little there is is confusing. I really hated it on my first playthrough because I had no idea what I was doing. Now it's just boring as heck. But whatever, it's not the first game to start light on gameplay, and/or what gameplay there is to be boring or simplistic. That's just Tri-Ace being Tri-Ace or whatever. No, the bigger problems are definitely related to writing.

Looking back on Star Ocean 3 a decade later, one thing I respect a lot about it is its treatment of gender issues. Most games fall into a trap of stocking their NPC casts of primarily men; that is, even games whose core cast is roughly balanced gender-wise usually break down if you expand the circle to say, the twenty most important characters. SO3 is a rare game which bucks this, chiefly due to the nation of Aquaria. And quite apart from number, most of the female cast can hold their own just fine in terms of competence. Maria is the leader of Quark; Mirage a capable operative; Nel and Clair are the de facto leaders of Aquaria's military, overseen by a queen and a female chief military engineer. Of course there are plenty of male NPCs too (patriarchal Airyglyph answers right back to Aquaria on this front), but in both quantity and competence the female cast acquits itself just fine, and better than most games.

Why this tangent? Because early SO3 is pretty damn embarrassing on this front. Sophia is, like, every problematic stereotype of JRPG female characters rolled into one. She needles Fayt passive-aggressively, but of course secretly likes him. She gets exhausted easily. When the crisis hits, Fayt generally keeps a cool head while she gets all panicky. She exists partially to give Fayt someone to protect. Most of her scenes are cringe-worthy. Peppita, the only other female character worth mentioning from early in the game, spends her first scene and only particularly memorable scene desperately hoping for the male player avatar to lavish attention on her and validate her. It's all rather uncomfortable.

So the earlygame features two bad female characters for Fayt to bounce off, and Fayt isn't really a strong enough personality to overcome this and be worthwhile. Also after a long exploration of a boring hotel setting which literally is irrelevant for the rest of the game, you get shunted from one crisis to the next in a way which is kind of tiring and ineffective. It's a relief once the inevitable Star Ocean "get stranded on a lower-tech planet" kicks in even though you know the game has kinda just been one long excuse setting this up until now.

But despite all that negativity? Once this arc ends the game gets legitimately good. I was honestly starting to wonder if the game just had worse writing than I remembered. I'm glad to say those worries weren't really necessary. Cliff shows up, and is generally great. He bounces off other characters very well. He has his share of character flaws, but the game isn't afraid to call him on them. His interplay with Fayt, Mirage, and Nel is always a lot of fun. And Nel is pretty wonderful. She is coldly pragmatic in a way which is somewhat unusual for a JRPG character (even moreso a female one). Her relationship with Fayt reverses the cliched "overly emotional woman / rational man" dynamic fiction is over-fond of. The game sets up a situation where all three of the major characters have sympathetic, understandable viewpoints and encourages the player to look at it from each of their sides, and the resulting scenes are a lot of fun. They're long, but I never begrudge the game this. And when I died to some Airyglyph soldiers after one particularly long scene, I was very glad the game had sceneskip.

Gameplaywise the game still feels positively restricted compared to what I know is still to come; the first few techs are pretty weak and you can't combo them effectively and/or at all due to CP limitations. But the core gameplay is still pretty fun (although I do wish there was a way to control the camera, and after playing SO4 a bunch I now really miss enemy HP gauges).

That ended up longer than I intended. tl;dr: SO3 before Vanguard = crap. SO3 once Cliff shows up = outstanding. It's a game I remember as inconsistent, certainly, but damned if it isn't the best writing Tri-Ace has ever done when it's on its game.

Fire Emblem 8 - Up to Eirika chapter 11. Not much to say about this replay, game is still thoroughly enjoyable as always.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: August 29, 2015, 04:04:38 AM »
And when I died to some Airyglyph soldiers after one particularly long scene, I was very glad the game had sceneskip.

GLORY TO AIRYGLARGH!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: August 29, 2015, 12:03:49 PM »
RK: Finished the new classic dungeons, working on elites in a completely random order.

Dragoon's in my team!! I gave him a major egg and he now has thousands of HPs! And by thousands, I mean 1,9 thousands.

The elite dungeons are rough. I never bring max level characters in those and this is starting to be a problem.
Randoms suddendly do 1-2k damage and have 10k HPs so I kinda need to spend resources on them, but then bosses are super tanky and I might run out of resources. It's all about very close balance, and I would have literally not being able to beat the FF5 elite archeomegabird if I hadn't honed both Diaga/Waterja to R3. Quake is also legit super useful now instead of just being quality of life.

Not using max level Vivi is a problem because my alternatives are not so hot. They are:
- Quistis (Hybrid with lower magic, so her Waterjas do like 7000 damage only)
- Maria (No record materia)
- Vanille (see Maria + Quistis)
- Red XIII (See Maria + Quistis)
- Rydia (No lvl 4 black = Terrible)
- Loser (Has less magic than Kain)
- Black mage (lol)
- Kimahri and other hybrids with 3* black magic
- Rinoa (comes out next week yeeeessssss)

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: August 29, 2015, 12:42:04 PM »
Who is loser? I'mma guess Red Mage? Also, that's hilarious.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: August 29, 2015, 12:46:02 PM »
Loser = Loserface = Tyro = Loserface = Loser.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: August 29, 2015, 12:52:40 PM »
Yeah, the guy you can rename who can equip everything. With the silly hat.

Red mage does have higher magic than Kain, but his magic stat is still pretty terrible (I complained about Quistis' but he is something else entirely) and he can not even equip 4* black magic

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: August 29, 2015, 12:52:57 PM »
SO3 stuff

SO3's been on my replay list for a while, since I'd just unlocked 4D mode last time I played it (like eight years ago?) Granted, I don't see how a 4D Freya is even logistically possible to beat, since I nearly ran out of stun bombs just beating Universe Freya and there is practically no other reliable way of dealing with her than constant stunlocking.

Writing I recall being surprisingly solid throughout the war arc on Elicoor (excepting the obvious plot tumor of Ameena). The PC trio there works very well together and I pretty much fell in love with Nel first time through the game in a way I don't think another videogame character has prompted me to respond. Also Aquaria seems like a place I'd be happy to live in if not for you know impending conquest by patriarchal invader. Everything plotwise shifts to being completely absurd the moment you jump through the talking dimensional door from that one Star Trek episode, but at least it's in a way you can laugh at. Also NEB you pointed out all that legit awful stuff about Sophia and neglected to include that she runs around in public with her pants unzipped.

Gameplaywise, in retrospect I don't see much point for CP limitations at all. I mean, it's not like it stops you from using broke shit anyway (like for example Side Kick -> Side Kick -> Side Kick -> Side Kick).

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: August 29, 2015, 02:49:30 PM »
For a game I respect as much as SO3, I feel I have done it a disservice NOT replaying it ever.  Sadly not sure if this will ever happen in the forsee-able future, because I have too much other stuff.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: August 29, 2015, 03:42:25 PM »
I've been playing Grandia II Anniversary Edition. 

Everything as been pretty easy on Hard mode until I got to Eye of Valmar.  He actually took me out twice!  The eye and its two parts attack very fast.  Crackle does around 500 to 600 damage which is a 2HKO.  The Tendrils can do around 300-400 damage. Spellbinding Eye is a lot more frequent and comes off quite fast if you can't cancel it.  I had to spend some coins picking up Alhealer to get by.   It almost felt like I was fighting a Grandia III boss.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: August 29, 2015, 04:37:50 PM »
Final Fantasy The Sound Of Autobattle - Still plowing through Elite dungeons. The randoms got pretty dangerous, to the point where summonspam actually isn't simple QoL dungeoning, but optimum strategy in order to perform reasonably. Randoms now get 3HKOed by boosted Cloud physicals, which really marks the end of the Reta-meta age against trash mobs. Honing Ixion and Valefor to R2 feels validating at this point. I also R5'd Biora and will do the same to Comet next Tuesday, which should leave me ready enough for Golbez's event. Maybe I'll farm more Greater Fire and Ice Orbs on monday.

EDIT: Also, Japan just got PC KEFKA what the fucking hell
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:40:14 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: August 29, 2015, 05:05:40 PM »
PC KEFKA as a Black Mage/Bard/Dancer hybrid at that. Because he is dancing mad, obviously.

We'll have to wait for the event to drop to see the exact levels on those skillsets, though.

The JP roster of dancers is now Mog, Lenna, Faris, Rikku, Penelo, Kefka which is uh... interesting.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 05:08:22 PM by hinode »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: August 29, 2015, 05:24:03 PM »
Writing I recall being surprisingly solid throughout the war arc on Elicoor (excepting the obvious plot tumor of Ameena). The PC trio there works very well together and I pretty much fell in love with Nel first time through the game in a way I don't think another videogame character has prompted me to respond. Also Aquaria seems like a place I'd be happy to live in if not for you know impending conquest by patriarchal invader. Everything plotwise shifts to being completely absurd the moment you jump through the talking dimensional door from that one Star Trek episode, but at least it's in a way you can laugh at. Also NEB you pointed out all that legit awful stuff about Sophia and neglected to include that she runs around in public with her pants unzipped.

Yeah I pretty much agree with all of this from what I remember. I will note that I still think the absurd dimension door plot is better than what Tri-Ace often musters, and would honestly be pretty okay with it if the character writing hadn't completely fallen off around that time.

Re the last point, I figure I will leave the skewering of atrocious fashion sense to Grefter; he is much better at it.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: August 29, 2015, 09:17:56 PM »
Weird choices on Kefka, but whatever. Should probably be what? Rods, Swords, Daggers? (Since everyone has daggers.)

Hope he's primarily YET ANOTHER Black Mage, because I feel like the other two aren't scary enough to be even OG Kefka.

EDIT
Fuck, make Gestahl a character. He's got a sprite and we know he knows MERTON. Make it his Soul Break. Make everyone hate Gestahl again.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 09:21:51 PM by Veryslightlymad »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: August 29, 2015, 09:45:03 PM »
Actually, Kefka makes perfect sense as a playable villain, more so than Reno at least; he already has a full functional sprite for Record Keeper since he has those Fake!PC Boss forms you fight multiple times. 

Granted, you'd think they'd have gotten the rest of FF6's cast in first before him, but I think most of them are there so there ya go.

I am a bit disappointed Kefka doesn't get Summon though; that feels like something that'd have fit him considering.

Also, VSM, Gestahl doesn't have a fully working sprite.  Kefka has a full PC Sprite Sheet, like any normal character, including stuff like the finger waggling animation, Casting poses, etc.  Gestahl does not; he has the standard walking and standing poses, a "raise arm" pose (see his flashback speech or when he kills Madonna) and a downed pose (though vertical only; don't think he has a horizontal one.)  That means he's lacking things like a casting, ready, and impact pose.  Most NPCs have that much.

For reference, full list of characters with a full sprite sheet are:
The main 14 (+ Esper Terra, so really 15)
Banon
Leo
Kefka
Ghost
Soldier
Merchant
And any Palette Swap of the above like "Gerad" and Duncan.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if late down the line, Banon and Leo pop up, and Merchant is turned into a Core PC as an excuse to use the sprite.  Heck, wouldn't be shocked of Biggs/Wedge get in because they are recurring FF characters, though it's not like they're in the game in some form (FF8's variations)

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: August 29, 2015, 11:54:28 PM »
OK, we need Banon and ?????, STAT.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: August 30, 2015, 12:07:13 AM »
I... Don't see why that is a problem though?  It isn't like half the series also don't have sprites.  Gestahl is still half the work of people from games without sprites (that weren't in ATB).

I don't have much to say about rocking your fly undone.  If the pants are tight enough to stay on while they are undone then they probably aren't hiding much either?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: August 30, 2015, 12:38:08 AM »
Eh Kefka makes sense, we already have Sephiroth and Golbez.  I'd guess at Kuja being the next villain to get PC treatment.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2820 on: August 30, 2015, 12:56:30 AM »
With NPCs/villains I'm pretty sure DeNA's number one criteria is "will this character make us money?"

Sephiroth is a no-brainer on top of technically being a temp, Gilgamesh is a definate yes in Japan at least, Kefka is almost certainly a yes (globally at least, not really sure what Japan thinks of him), Reno... probably has enough fangirls plus general Turks fans to be a yes there?

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: August 30, 2015, 01:25:19 AM »
With NPCs/villains I'm pretty sure DeNA's number one criteria is "will this character make us money?"

Sephiroth is a no-brainer on top of technically being a temp, Gilgamesh is a definate yes in Japan at least, Kefka is almost certainly a yes (globally at least, not really sure what Japan thinks of him), Reno... probably has enough fangirls plus general Turks fans to be a yes there?

Yeah
This is also why PC Kefka exists before, say, Umaro

Japan also has PC Seifer, rad as fuck. It sounds like they're focusing mainly on FF4 through 10, so I am pretty sure we could get PC Xdeath/Rufus/Edea/Kuja/Seymour later.

Also. I don't think we mentioned Laguna existing:

Final Fantasy The Sound Of Autobattle - Still plowing through Elite dungeons. The randoms got pretty dangerous, to the point where summonspam actually isn't simple QoL dungeoning, but optimum strategy in order to perform reasonably.
Eeeeh I still feel summons pretty worthless, especially compared to Quake. I still use them a little (I like to use a two white mage setup, my second white mage can have Curaga + a summon + Summoner materia) but I don't quite feel they've become actually optimal or anything since they're competing with things like Protectga.

Protip for Sol Cannon elite: You need either Nanaki's or Sazh's RW to get the mastery. I tried this fight with the absolute sickest team for this fight (trust me on this) and still couldn't beat him before it used the laser, without Hastega.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: August 30, 2015, 01:52:43 AM »
Oh yeah, I just did some Towerfall DLC local co-op and local PVP and had an absolute blast.

I... think I consider this to be the best game on PS4.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: August 30, 2015, 02:19:22 AM »
I... Don't see why that is a problem though?  It isn't like half the series also don't have sprites.  Gestahl is still half the work of people from games without sprites (that weren't in ATB).

I don't have much to say about rocking your fly undone.  If the pants are tight enough to stay on while they are undone then they probably aren't hiding much either?

I didn't say it was a problem.  Granted, VSM just said "he has a sprite" so my point could be argued fruitless, but no where did I say that'd be a problem, pretty much for the exact reason you laid out.

That said, basically what hinode said for the actual reason he won't get in.  My point wasn't "This is why Gestahl won't get in", more just highlighting he isn't 0 work the way someone like Kefka would be (which isn't much of a point granted.)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: August 30, 2015, 04:22:18 AM »
Final Fantasy The Sound Of Autobattle - Still plowing through Elite dungeons. The randoms got pretty dangerous, to the point where summonspam actually isn't simple QoL dungeoning, but optimum strategy in order to perform reasonably.
Eeeeh I still feel summons pretty worthless, especially compared to Quake. I still use them a little (I like to use a two white mage setup, my second white mage can have Curaga + a summon + Summoner materia) but I don't quite feel they've become actually optimal or anything since they're competing with things like Protectga.

If you have two R2 4* summons (often enough, even a 3* is all you need due to their mults being close to Quake's and Summonspring 2 existing), they actually become legit offense against bosses as well as slaughtering dungeons. I've been running a R3 Quake + 4* mage/healer with Curaga + one of Protectga, Shellga, Diaga or Slowga/summoner/support/melee team for the dungeons and it's been actually substantially better than running multiple melee fighter - hell, bosses don't last -much- longer than the four shots my dedicated summoner has as a rule of thumb either, so it works out nicely for core dungeon running (not quite ideal, but given the stellar results against increasingly dangerous trash mobs, it's good enough). On dungeons, trash mobs are the majority of the medals you score as well, so excelling against them is pretty big. Bosses are generally entirely under control under mitigation anyway, so having a lowish-resource, high-power slot isn't -that- much of a problem, as long as it's only one. Meanwhile, running physical fighters who 3HKO enemies and spend non-replenishable through RM ability uses has become increasingly problematic. Quake also has the problem of running off the most often immuned element in the game, so you want a competent backup when it doesn't work. That's also why I'm likely not honing it past R3 anytime soon, for all that getting it as far as R3 was absolutely worth it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 04:46:13 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »