imageRegister

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194264 times)

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2825 on: August 30, 2015, 07:08:46 AM »
I think the real question is when will we get Payne?

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2826 on: August 30, 2015, 07:48:09 AM »
Probably after we get Ceodore...

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: August 30, 2015, 10:56:24 AM »
Final Fantasy The Sound Of Autobattle - Still plowing through Elite dungeons. The randoms got pretty dangerous, to the point where summonspam actually isn't simple QoL dungeoning, but optimum strategy in order to perform reasonably.
Eeeeh I still feel summons pretty worthless, especially compared to Quake. I still use them a little (I like to use a two white mage setup, my second white mage can have Curaga + a summon + Summoner materia) but I don't quite feel they've become actually optimal or anything since they're competing with things like Protectga.

If you have two R2 4* summons (often enough, even a 3* is all you need due to their mults being close to Quake's and Summonspring 2 existing), they actually become legit offense against bosses as well as slaughtering dungeons. I've been running a R3 Quake + 4* mage/healer with Curaga + one of Protectga, Shellga, Diaga or Slowga/summoner/support/melee team for the dungeons and it's been actually substantially better than running multiple melee fighter - hell, bosses don't last -much- longer than the four shots my dedicated summoner has as a rule of thumb either, so it works out nicely for core dungeon running (not quite ideal, but given the stellar results against increasingly dangerous trash mobs, it's good enough). On dungeons, trash mobs are the majority of the medals you score as well, so excelling against them is pretty big. Bosses are generally entirely under control under mitigation anyway, so having a lowish-resource, high-power slot isn't -that- much of a problem, as long as it's only one. Meanwhile, running physical fighters who 3HKO enemies and spend non-replenishable through RM ability uses has become increasingly problematic. Quake also has the problem of running off the most often immuned element in the game, so you want a competent backup when it doesn't work. That's also why I'm likely not honing it past R3 anytime soon, for all that getting it as far as R3 was absolutely worth it.

Trash mobs is a bad name for thoese freaks!

I dunno, I feel that this is a pretty handy strategy for 90-100 difficulty dungeons but becomes sub optimal for the realest craziest later ones, as bosses that die in 4 turns are pretty weaksauce and I really wouldn't want dead weight in my team past turn 4?

I haven't had too much trouble clearing randoms with Quakespam so far, and if failing that, one replenishable Waterja/Diaga on one monster + melee spam on another (using abilities not physicals, since melee fighters never actually run out now. Physical attacks are over) I could see replacing my melee armor/mental break dude with a mage with R5 Comet + R5 Biora but not with a summoner

Also the biggest problem for me is spending all those orbs. Man, they even ask for super duper orbs even though they're only 4*! The nerve

Anyway, praise the heavens, sweet xp is upon us, etc. I am not sure my plan to level everybody to level 50 is going well considering that DeNa just releases one million new characters every week and we only get one sunday per week. At least most of the future event reissues will give me eggs instead of new people to level.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: August 30, 2015, 11:19:10 AM »
The FFRK devs have taked about adding FFT later on.

I'm looking forward to the potential Calculator core.
And Delita.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: August 30, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »
Yeah I pretty much agree with all of this from what I remember. I will note that I still think the absurd dimension door plot is better than what Tri-Ace often musters, and would honestly be pretty okay with it if the character writing hadn't completely fallen off around that time.

I actually don't think they're routinely terrible, at worst I'd call their work uneven with some notable bright spots, but my experience here is based on:

SO2: Okay, this one really does have no story merit that I can recall after two playthroughs.
SO3's already covered.
VP1: I think a lot of the recruitment scenes have great emotional impact considering their brevity. The actual plot of course is barely existent, but I like the portrait B+C routes paint of Lenneth as being a committed drone with no personal understanding of her recently deceased recruits' emotional distress, and exactly the kind of meager reward such a person should expect for her labors. Suddenly emotional A ending Lenneth happens so fast that it's kind of jarring, though. If there's anything Tri-Ace consistently struggles with, I'd say it's endings.
VP2: Having just replayed this, I'd reiterate that the plotting for the first two thirds of the game is solid. I wouldn't say the cast has the kind of chemistry of SO3 at its best, but the pacing takes full advantage of player expectations re: characters having hidden agendas/personas and hiding the really important ones behind the red herings of more obvious disguises, and I respect that. Also, no one felt it necessary to have the male and female leads fall in love, they get to be mutually supportive friends the whole time and that's great. Everything after Lezard's reveal is a mess (although I love the reveal scene itself), but that's Tri-Ace endings for you. (Kobold scenes almost make up for it.)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: August 30, 2015, 03:37:39 PM »
Honestly, I agree with you. I'll make the caveat that VP2's last third certainly made me angrier than SO3's (though both represent a clear drop in quality). I do think that the two Tri-Ace games you haven't played don't really help its average much: SO4 is okay (it doesn't drop off at the end unlike most Tri-Ace, but its writing quality is a clear step back from SO3's otherwise) while VPDS is pretty damn bad (it has some good ideas in there, but botches their execution and is particularly bad at being a Valkyrie Profile game). But... yeah, can't disagree with anything you wrote in your own summaries. So maybe I need to give Tri-Ace a bit more credit; they have an uneven track record at writing but there is certainly worse.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: August 30, 2015, 08:57:54 PM »
Final Fantasy 3 Dual Play: Labyrinth of the Ancients and Eureka completed.

-Labyrinth of the Ancients sucks and should feel bad.  It's boring visually, the enemies suck, and the only cool thing is the gear you get here.  Really no point in addressing either version specifically since anything after Titan is pretty much entirely filler.  I also missed the Crystal Shield on the DS version which matters because I am using Red Mage (the one job that may care about these things)

-Actually, both these dungeons highlight just how annoyingly close the FF3DS camera is, especially Labyrinth of the Ancients.  Easy to miss side pathes and such without going out of your way to check them because it's so zoomed in.  As I said before, for all the crap I give it, one thing FF4DS did very right was applying a minimap, which does wonders with the zoomed up camera.  It's also worth noting that I suspect a number of people are going "What is he talking about, that wasn't an issue for me!" but it's mostly apparent relative to the NES version where navigating dungeons is easier because you can see more of it.  It's a very apparent drop in visibility compared to the NES version.

-This point of the game feels like bosses are only as hard as the RNG lets them be.  Kunoichi can triple physical someone and deal legitimate damage if all three hits a certain person; if she doesn't do this, and you're casting Curaga/ja every turn, you'll be fine.  The others are all "Do they cast this spell and this character!?"  Also worth noting that Lightning attacks are mockable since you have Diamond Gear which plays in the AI thing since most bosses with elemental damage will have the big 3. 

-The sad part is? I still can't tell you anything about these bosses besides Kunoichi.  NES version she has high evade and usual Magic Defense/Elemental Resistance nonsense making Summoner useless beyond the limited Bahamut shots, DS version, see the triple acting physical thing (and she has evade but not as much as the NES version.)  The other bosses are all basically just a lot of the same crap.  I guess Scylla in the DS version had a 4000 healing Curaja, which off sets a basic physical from Dark Knight and Dragoon, but it's also having her offense meaning you're probably fully recovering unless your healer is dead or something.  Also worth noting?  Red Mage w/ dual Aegis Shields in back row feels unkillable.

-Eureka is way easier in the DS version than NES version.  Even though NES version has Summoner's really good MT damage being meaningful (though Shiva isn't as good as you'd expect, so ammo is limited) as well as Warlock's crazy accurate status with deep MP resources, enemies are generally just better.  On top of this, the DS version also fully heals you between each boss fight, the NES version does not.  Granted, when you get to the last two, you can skip them, run to the back, use the full healing pond, and fight both fully restored (also with potentially more Crystal Gear, but I don't think it's worth it for reasons I'll get into.)  I digress though, the fact that you recharge every fight alone makes Eureka far less strenuous, especially since the NES version basically makes you run off a single MP Pool since the start of the Labyrinth.
--You can also get Ninja/Sage before the last one and get a huge boost to...well, everything!  I intended on doing this...then promptly forgot to change jobs against Scylla and wasted the opportunity.  Whoops!

-I played around with Holy lance vs. Dragon Lance because the latter weighs less thus doesn't lose hits and...convinced Holy Lance is just better.  Apparently it's raw power does make up for the extra hit loss, and there are enemies weak to it, which makes Dragoon's damage disgusting when combined with Gungnir. 

-Red Mage and Knight get a huge damage boost here in the DS version since they go from Defenders to Break Blade, Excalibur and for Knight, Ragnarok as well.  No other Job gets a damage boost this big.  Even if you didn't get Gungnir, Dragoon's Dragon Lance is only a marginal drop from Holy Lance Dual Haken is a marginal upgrade to Blessed Hammers from Vikings, Demon Axes used by Warriors aren't too far off either (though Warriors do get Break Blade and Ragnarok; only reason to use Dual Haken is because someone else wants the Break Blade or Ragnarok, which is a very possible outcome I'll grant), and yeah you get the idea.

-Red Mage gets a huge spike in physical durability if you want here.  Crystal equips, can tank with dual shields, etc.  The Shield Set Up has merit for a tanky healer of course, but I personally don't see the other equips as meaningful.  One of Red mage's defining features is being a workable physical fighter who can use Mage gear, which is a huge magic defense push over fighters; the healing of course is an added bonus.  Still, viable option against 2 Headed Dragon though I didn't buy a Crystal Equip set because you get 2 for free anyway and I suspect dual shields should be enough there.

-As a fun note, in DS version, Red Mage AND Dark Knight were being used to item cast Protect from Defenders in some fights because Protect makes a notable durability increases.  This is another perk Knight and Warrior can make use of as well.

-NES version doesn't let you use Exit in Eureka, DS version does let you use Teleport.  This is nice and handy!  The NES version does, however, have you curbstomping the entire dungeon on the way out since not only did you get the absurb weapons, you also get Ninja and Sage.  While Ninja is a marginal boost over Knight and Dark Knight when not using Shurikens, Sage is a huge boost over other Mages.  First off, just about every summon they use can clean house, even Shiva.  Heck, their Chocobo Summon works as a modest physical stand-in instead of a "meh, got nothing better to do."  The resources are absolutely absurd too; Shaman/Warlock have about double the MP Summoner has, and Sage has even more than that.  This means you can spam a number of **** off summons if enemies pull back attack nonsense on you like Bahamut and Leviathan.  Those summons...may not be stronger than Summoner because of JLevels (Intellect is added directly into damage, so lower end summons benefit a lot more from Sage's higher stats than the higher end ones, which makes Summoner's JLevel advantage offset it), but honestly, 7 shots of (temporarily) slightly weaker Bahamuts vs. 2 shots...yeah.  Oh and you are likely using 2 Sages.  Let's not forget all the Healing, Status, etc. Sages bring too. 

-As for why I didn't buy a 2nd Crystal set?  Both games give you a 2nd one in Syrcus Tower.  In NES version, I'm only using 2 Ninjas, so I only need two sets.  DS version, I'm using 3 characters who can use it, but as I said, Red Mage will probably only ever use the Crystal Shields.  Also, after a point, the only Crystal Equip worth using is the Crystal Mail if you play your cards right.  Your Fighters should be using Protect Rings, not your mages.  The Magic Defense push is far more relevant to them than defense boost to Mages, since most big threats at Magical.  Also, you want Lightning resistance since a handful of enemies use that INCLUDING the Cloud of Darkness; Protect Rings cover this.  Mages' 2nd best is the Diamond Bracers anyway; it's not CoD's strongest move granted, but you want to mitigate any damage she throws at you to insure survival.  For Helmets?  Everyone is going to be using Ribbons anyway, since status immunity + defensive stats.
--NES version, though, you'll want the Crystal Gloves on your Ninjas and Protect Rings on the Mages; Ribbon covered Elemental AND Status defense in this game, so Protect Rings clearly were a Mage thing here.
---In DS Version, fighters may go in with Reflect Mail, because of the Magic Defense push over Crystal Things but only for specific fights.  This one is a tougher call I should note because the Reflect Mail causes a nose-dive in physical defense and enemies always have a physical, but it's still a valid option.  For that matter, Red Mage may prefer Aegis Shield over Crystal Shields depending on set up, but with Mage equips and 2 Crystal Shields, something tells me he won't be needing Magic Defense if I need him in emergency healer mode.

NEXT TIME: The Long as **** Final Dungeon.  I'd do this in shifts except there's no way to do that in the NES version legitimately, so you'll see the entire update then and there!
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: August 30, 2015, 10:55:28 PM »
Video of Kefka's first soul break is out: https://ffrk-movie.static.sp.mbga.jp/soul_strike/10601600/20150831_s9FnKcCj-uw.mp4

The laugh sfx is enough to ensure I get a bunch of RWs at least.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: August 30, 2015, 11:31:28 PM »
THE LAUGH

THE FUCKING LAUGH
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: August 31, 2015, 12:52:50 AM »
HE FUCKING BREAKDANCES WHEN HE LANDS

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2835 on: August 31, 2015, 01:38:48 AM »
God damn it guys.

Stop trying to make cocaine look like fun.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: August 31, 2015, 02:58:22 AM »
Final Fantasy Lost In Autobattle - Welp, after the Sundaily bonanza, I got Sephiroth to L50 and cap-broke his ass. Also got started on the Rinoa reissue.

Tangentially, I decided to do a single pull for the lolsies, like I almost always do on every event. It's usually worth little, it's almost always some 3* junk equip.

The game gave me the new FF8 5* gun off the gatcha pull. My streak of not getting what I want, but getting stuff that covers niches I was missing continues. Ranged Spellblade Lightning and backrow usable Sazh/Balthier, here I come.

Well, I guess there's also -Irvine-, but why bother.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:06:48 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: August 31, 2015, 03:17:51 AM »
I disagree completely Cid.  Tri-Ace's beginnings are way worse than their ends.

The ends are at least usually fucking crazy weird, the beginnings in like every game (even SO4) are really long and tedious as fuck.

Also insert timid defence of SO2 here, the plot is dumb and 5 flavours of stupid, but it embraced the Star Trek rip off more than the other games in the series (from the parts of 4 I picked up).  Tons of SO2 doesn't make sense and either does most of what happens in TNG.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2838 on: August 31, 2015, 04:17:52 AM »
FFRK: Did a 50-pull on Rinoa's banner hoping for some ranged options in Guns or her unique stuff. Instead I got another 5* Sword and some crap. Sigh... I didn't even get any 4* staves...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: August 31, 2015, 04:51:45 AM »
Did you at least save those 3* Flails from Selphie/Quistis' event? You can combine those with one of the Flails this event hands you for a 120 Mag goodie in FF8 dungeons, which is quite frankly better than a non-synergy 5*. Doesn't solve the long-term problem, but will serve you well during this event.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: August 31, 2015, 05:32:35 AM »
Dann Kefka drops silence and paralyze with his super?

Op
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2841 on: August 31, 2015, 05:51:53 AM »
I don't think I saved the Flails. Even still, the 5* sword I got is FF8 flavored so I think I can handle the event with superior Reta Meta instead of going that one day I'll get to join you guys in the cool Mage Meta. As it stands, my best Mage weapon is Tyro's 6*book, de facto making him a better Mage than 4* Stick Vivi... At least I've got SG... So I can stall forever but Mastery on EX battles is a thing of tales and legends...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: August 31, 2015, 06:32:30 AM »
Fashion Fantasy Typ0 - The side events during school time are better than the side quests.  Got in a second one with Carla who tells Cinque and Jack to refer to her as a "Blazing Merchant"

xXx420BlazingMerchantCarlaxXx then proceeded to try and sell them meth at 70k Gil a pop.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: August 31, 2015, 06:46:23 AM »
Tri-Ace openings are usually terrible for gameplay/slowness reasons. Their quality writing-wise varies. (VP1's I think is pretty good for instance, but YMMV.)

Also insert timid defence of SO2 here, the plot is dumb and 5 flavours of stupid, but it embraced the Star Trek rip off more than the other games in the series (from the parts of 4 I picked up).  Tons of SO2 doesn't make sense and either does most of what happens in TNG.

Huh, that's actually the opposite of how I feel. I never noticed the similarity of SO2 and Star Trek myself, whereas SO3 has all the stuff about the prime directive UP3 and giving scientific knowledge to affect the history of a less developed planet which is extremely Star Trek. (The lategame plot craziness is also, I feel, very in line with crazier Star Trek episodes.) SO4 is... arguably an entire game about how the UP3 came to exist and why it is a good idea (not to mention that the protagonists are on a mission which is pretty much the same as the Enterprise, and actually planet-hop a lot doing so). And I had heard that SO1 is also more Star Trek-like, though I haven't played it myself.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2844 on: August 31, 2015, 07:11:52 AM »
Yeah, that's a decent summary.  SO1 is Star Trek, SO3 has some definite TNG vibes, SO4 is Enterprise*.  SO2 is... a bit like Voyager in its way?  Owes a lot to TNG but mostly meandered pointlessly a lot of time.

*Well no.  Enterprise wanted to be SO4.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: August 31, 2015, 08:10:08 AM »
I specifically was thinking of the ways the plot doesn't make sense (not the arc of the story).  Oh there is secret super human space men that can manipulate the fabric of space time because of reasons and stuff.  One of them eats people and another one is on fire.

Fashion Fantasy Type 0 - I invaded the enemy empires weapons development lab in their capital city where they were busy making prototypes of impossible super weapons.  They lean on this Nazi thing really hard.

Then someone invoked the Fabula Pact and now there is a peace treaty (and the Fashion Teens are presumably stuck behind enemy lines or something).  They seriously call it the Fabula Pact.  They know their target audience here.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: August 31, 2015, 11:09:26 AM »
FFRK: Spent 100 mithril on Rinoa's banner on the off chance I'd get Valiant or another Blitz sword.
Got only one 5*: Valiant.
Gatcha is easy guys, I don't know what you're talking about. Just spend some mithril and get what you want? Not complicated.

IrvineMeta is upon me, he just OHKOed Edea with a breakdown.

The Swindle: I got to the end of this game but can't beat the last level.
Balance in this game is non existant.
You have 100 in game days to beat the game, it goes roughly Initial Struggle (10 days) -> Buy a bug -> Buy a second bug (1 day) -> Buy every other upgrade in like 30 minutes because bugs are fucking OP (15 days) -> Die repeatedly in the last level.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: August 31, 2015, 11:39:01 AM »
From the gobs of Greater Orbs we'll get from this event, I also predict the age of R4 Waterja will soon dawn upon us. I know I'll have the materials for it when I'm done with it.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: August 31, 2015, 12:23:30 PM »
Then R5 Waterja during OrbFest.
BOOM

I have the opposite feeling re SO3: I found SO3's intrigue at the beginning extremely boring (Albel, Sophia, Farleen, Welsh, a litany of terrible characters) and couldn't wait to get to the cyber spaceships 2000 part, and I was NOT disappointed when the game went completely bonkers/meta at the end.
Tri-Ace is at its best when it does its own thing instead of copying everybody else.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:33:47 PM by Fenrir »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2849 on: August 31, 2015, 12:30:56 PM »
FFRK: After that disappointing use of 50 mythril, I threw two of them at extra stamina today and got every character who can break the level limit up to level 50 today, excepting Red Mage, but who cares. This meant Eiko, Sabin, Edgar, Cyan, Tifa, Sazh. Red Mage is around level 40 now, and I also had an opportunity to toss Snow, WoL, and Luneth into my grinding parties to have them get their RM2s. I am now the proud owner of every available Record Materia save Red Mage's (lol) and Cyan's RM2 (meh). At least that's -something- like an achievement, unlike my Gatcha luck.