Register

Author Topic: Gauging of interest on music review thingey  (Read 47381 times)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Gauging of interest on music review thingey
« Reply #350 on: October 16, 2015, 07:42:19 PM »
Akdong Musician - Bouncy and fun, doesn't really grab my attention but it doesn't need to.

Christina Novelli - I love the instrumentals in this, that is good piano. More repetitive than I usually care for music being, but it makes it work. "An expanded version of the song that had another verse or two and some kind of bridge in there instead of just looped chorus would go far" is a better phrasing than I could come up with, though I dunno anything about the original track(haven't heard it, not looking it up because I want to judge this on its own merits). Yeah, I liked it but it could easily have been better.

Ellie Goulding - elliegoulding.txt. I'm starting to feel like most of her songs kinda bleed together for me. Maybe it's just me? It's okay, good background music but I had trouble paying attention to it.

Demi Lovato - The lyrics don't grab me, but I like the instrumentals a lot. It's heavy low brass without being so bass that it starts making me ill. I like odder instrumentals like that, not using the usual instruments or only using very restricted things but then using them well like that.

黃齡 - The "Haaaaa, haaaaaa" breathing bits were kind of annoying. Once she started singing more forcefully it was really nice. But then it went back to *breathing intensifies*. Not really a fan. Reading alexchan's notes on it...it's probably another case of "gate does not watch the videos" sparking the low opinion.

n.a.s.a. - ...is that kazoo? What the hell. I actually had to look at the video for this one because the music grabbed my attention and did not let go, I had to see what the hell was going on. And I saw...skateboarding? No lie, my first thought there was "this would make an amazing track for Tony Hawk game". It's the right kind of hard hitting, energizing and not getting in the way. The "where my dogs at *barking*" part pulled me out of the groove enough to deduct points though.

Aaaaand have to go sooner than expected, posting this now, will edit the remaining three in when I get back from errands.

EDIT: back, done.

Demi > n.a.s.a. >Christina Novelli > Akdong > Ellie > *breathing intensifies*
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:45:30 PM by Gatewalker »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 17, 2015, 06:09:20 AM »
黃齡 - Now obviously I know very little about actual singing technique OR Korean (it is in Korean right?

Definitely not korean.  I'm fairly sure it's Mandarin.  (Which would explain the constant zh/xh/sh intonations to the vocals).

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 18, 2015, 08:47:26 AM »
Wow, ok my family absolutely loved N.A.S.A.  My Nephew has been watching the video on repeat.  My sister posted it to facebook.  My mother said good things about it.

This is not the response I expected from a party track.  It's a really good party track, but still!

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 23, 2015, 04:13:59 AM »
On the one hand, by far one of the best country tracks I've heard in quite a while.  On the other hand, OMG the competition this week o_o.  Strong week I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuCF-Rpol-A
Danielle Bradbery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co0A3vT-6-k
KORPIKLAANI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc7-krRX8uA
Pentatonix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqG9hsjLf3M
Meg Myers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZr5Tid3Qw4
Florence + The Machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8tbQgXyn1c
Tove Lo

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 23, 2015, 10:23:05 AM »
Danielle Bradbery - This is pretty much the most pop I have heard pop country (even more so that Taylor Swift...).  I might like pop country less than regular country?  I don't that's wrong actually.  It is a very pop country song, but it is a pretty weak pop song IMO.  Go with your guy though if you think it is good (also you know what my pick is going to be...)

KORPIKLAANI - This is pretty great.  It feels a bit like some Metallica stuff from Garage Days, the way they cover some stuff that predates Metal as a genre really (which is a long way of me saying it reminds me of the delivery of Whiskey in a Jar).  THis is pretty goddamned rad.  Not as great as the track that autoplayed right after it.  If anyone reading this liked this track you own it to yourself to check out Pilli On Pajusta Tehty which is a live filmed clip turned into a music video (so the song is the studio version), but they are a pretty great band do see all together live.  It is also a rad song.  Expect it to be the second favourite and my non-Florence pick.

Pentatonix - a song about how great music is telling you to sing by an a capella group?  That is... super on the nose.  It miiiiight blow past the point of literally being the thing where I don't enjoy it again.  That or I am just a grumpy jaded fuck who hates other people having fun.  Its cool that it exists, but I am going to go over here with all my sad music and fall in love with my own misery a bit more.

Meg Myers - Yeah!  Like this!  I love the first 50 seconds intro, then dig the 20 second build to where it breaks.  Then it breaks into a nice minimalist chorus.  This is more country than the country song (and has actual strong songwriting unlike my opinion of most country).  I am trying to think of what it is like... Maybe Hole with much cleaner vocals?  It would be early Hole though because it is much poppier than most Hole is after that album that was written with Kurt Kobain (who lets face it, wrote pop "grunge" music as well).  Which is weird because the further away you get from that album the cleaner Courtney Love's vocals are, but the more alt rock the songs get.  Anyway, this is really good!  I was wrong, I think this is stronger than Korplikaani, but YOU are right in that this is a strong week.

Florence + The Machine - The Odyssey continues.  The film clip once again just puts the concept of the album right out there in the open.  I love that she is so very openly showing that it is a concept album and putting it out there to the world in a sequence of short films.  She is doing two things that pretty much died in the 80s and doing it in a genre that never really did it.  We have a concept album in 2015.  We have film clips as mini movies which no one has done even close to as well as Michael Jackson.  However unlike lots of concept albums it isn't really a story (though the videos are!) it is just an album that is exploring a very very tight range of topics and exploring them with slightly different metaphors each track.  Unlike Michael Jackson she isn't doing a short film as spectacle, it is a sequence of incredibly serious art pieces.  Also can we talk for a bit about how much I like the concept of a song referencing Samson and Delilah referencing the point of view being from the Delilah referencing being the cause of destruction in terms of "pulling the pillars down"?

Now the sun is up and I'm going blind
(Holding on for your call)
Another drink just to pass the time
(I can never say no)

Gods I fucking love this artist, this album, everything about this.  I just keep feeling all the emotions during it and get the shivers from this.

Of course this is my favourite and this is my pick.  I will be honest before this film clip and typing all this up? I probably would have off handed say Delilah is pretty low on my favourites for the album.  I am wrong to do that.  Just ... gods.  Even just thinking about this one now destroys me.

Tove Lo - The cop's stache is fucking great.  Also yeah this is also what I am talking about.  Synth pop that is deeper than country is these days.   This is a great track... I do think this is also better than Korplikaani and I really liked that track.  I don't have tons to say about this.  I love "But on the good days I am charming as fuck".  I dig the start of the track where she is rocking the Bad jacket dancing through a shopping centre.

This.. is probably the strongest week we have had in a very long time.  It is a week with Florence though so Florence wins for me because well... I was super serious when I think she is the best artist of a decade.  I just... can't even really parse everything that goes on with her tracks.  What the Pentatonix track is ABOUT is how what every Florence track IS for me.

I am kind of on the fence between Meg Myers and Tove Lo as second best.  I think I like Synthpop better than indie rock by just a tiny bit like as a genre on average, but I think Meg Myers track is more interestingly put together.  Tove Lo uses repetition better though.

On repeat listens... yeah I think Meg Myers is just tiny tiny tiny tiny bit better to me?  Some of it might be that Meg Myers is building with the song where Tove Lo is building with a soliloquy.

Oh also I suppose to just heap more praise on Florence, in a week of songs wallowing in being broken people where life is hard, the reason I like her SO much more than everyone else is that she takes me through all that emotional torment in much more focussed instances.  Like a very specific part of relationships and uncertainty.  Gods it is just laser focused.  So good.

Damn, that was hard this week which is ridiculous given how easy this week was.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 23, 2015, 02:25:29 PM »
Danielle Bradbery - Yeah, this is more pop than country.  The lyrics were unintelligible to me outside the chorus, and what I could understand I didn't like.  Treating the "friend zone" mentality as a real thing, while at the same time having the video full of deliberately ripped jeans and bikinis?  Egh.  It's like the slimiest of both worlds. 

KORPIKLAANI - That is a really solid opening riff and first minute.  Then the lyrics kick in.  I was uncertain for a bit, but yeah, the bare voice conveys an earnest tone that is necessary for the whole thing to work.  Strong lines and not a note out of place the whole way through.  Is... is that an accordion solo?  I think it is.  These people put an accordion solo in a metal song and made it sound awesome.  Watched Pilli On as well, still preferred this track, too much percussion in Pilli.  This was great and I very much enjoyed it.

Pentatonix - My family really loves this group, so I get to hear a lot of their stuff often, repeatedly and at high volume.  This is... I think one of their better songs?  It is on point but not, for me, past the point of believability but rather on it.  I would actually enjoy it if this was the song I was often subjected to.  Simple and happy but well made.  Except the end.  It needs to actually stop where they say cut and not have that extended outro. 

Meg Myers - Oh, is *this* the country song?  Maybe that's the video speaking, but this feels country in musical tone too.  All about possessive relationships.  For me this falls into "interesting, but not really enjoyable."  There's an undercurrent of unease, verging on horror, but not clear enough horror for me to get into it and past the pop-country surface.  It did get me to think about it, even if my conclusion was "I'd rather not listen to that again..."  And yeah, this is a strong week.

Tove Lo - Listening to this first because Florence has so much buildup.  ... ... ... I'm not sure what I just watched.  Uh, neat song though.  This also falls under "interesting, but not sure I enjoyed it" - but unlike the previous track, this feels like more of a one and done art piece than a song that is meant to be listened to multiple times, so the avant-garde stuff is more palatable to me here.  The song loses some steam in the last parts, gets a bit threadbare with the mental illness stuff, but maybe that's intentional too.  On the one hand it feels like there is a lot more to unpack here, but on the other hand I'm not sure it grabbed me quite enough to want to do so.  Still a very strong piece.  I still like Korpiklaani over this song, but either one could take first in most any other week.

Progressive Insurance ft, Flo and A Robot - So here we are.  I've tried to tiptoe around saying it outright because Grefter and Tai and everyone else around me loves her so much, but I, myself, don't really get the Florence & Machine hype.  I just don't see the depth and emotional appeal they say is present in all of her songs.  I listen to something like Ship to Wreck, and I don't come out feeling anything in particular. 

However!  There has been a major running exception so far, and that is the Odyssey tracks.  Maybe/probably it is complex contextual stuff, but for whatever reasons, I am able to get more into this particular series than any of her other tracks.  They still don't carry much direct emotional affect to me, and musically they all kind of sound the same, but I can peer into the depths and see the fish swimming far below the surface of the abyss here.  To give a direct comparison, this track has one line about "takin' the pills to pass the time, I can never say no" that in context, with just that, accomplishes everything the Tove Lo track took an entire speech and song to do.  Absolute top tier in depth and thought provocation.

... I still liked Korpiklaani more, though.

Korpiklaani > Florence > Tove Lo > Meg Myers > Pentatonix > Danielle Bradbery.  Very easy week for me to rank, but also incredibly strong overall.  (That is probably why it is easy - stronger songs stand out and differentiate themselves better.)  Everything here but the last two could win another week for me, and Pentatonix is upper mid tier still.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 24, 2015, 03:44:51 AM »
So...just casually listening while I coded, Meg Myers was on top, Tove Lo was on bottom, and everyone else was constantly running the gamut between 2-5.

Actually stopping and watching the videos after I got home, I think Pentatonix and Flo have the two best videos by a fairly significant margin (enough that they make me feel enough better about the songs that I put them ahead of Meg Myers).

And Alex and Grefter are both putting Florence+The Machine much higher than Pentatonix, so I guess that's the logical pick?

I feel like we've been in this exact situation before, though, where we had Florence + The Machine up against...was it pentatonix?  No I think it was Nightwish.  Anyway, response to Florence + The Machine was pretty low that time.

Hmm...Ok, hold on, I'm going to go back and figure out who Pentatonix lost to last time, because they had another original recently that was pretty good and we didn't pick.

EDIT: it was Lindsey Stirling.  Well ok, yeah, that will happen; Lindsey is both the most picked, and most liked artist in this series.

EDIT2: Damn yo, we literally haven't picked Pentatonix since...February 2014.  Granted, we haven't picked Florence since February 2015.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:52:34 AM by metroid composite »

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 30, 2015, 05:24:33 AM »
So hm, yeah this week.

I've been home sick pretty much the whole week since sunday, not really listening to music.  I didn't even send the list of stuff I had listened to on Friday.

I do however remember that there's a new Adele song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQHsXMglC9A
Adele

Which...Adele is really good, and has never been featured, so...seems like a reasonable choice.

Option 2: run something from last week (heavens knows last week was a strong enough week to run two songs).

Option 3: Anyone know a particularly good song that came out this week that I missed?  By all means let me know.

EDIT: option 4--OK, checking the UK charts, this song is kinda interesting (unlike the new stuff on the US charts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh44zE-hlL4
KDA
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:37:47 AM by metroid composite »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 30, 2015, 11:09:36 AM »
I don't think anyone will really knock running a new Adele song.  She doesn't do tons for me, but she is pretty universally praised for good reason.  She is good at a ton of things, sings well, writes songs well, is genuine and speaks to most people.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 06, 2015, 03:37:26 AM »
This week's finalists.  I am rather tempted by the comedy option, I have to admit.  (Which one should be considered the comedy option might be up for discussion, granted).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk32JhmiC7Q
Demi Lovato

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAnSr5N3c8E
Ben Haenow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPsbLoh0l98
SHTEVIL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j7PBy7WiIY
Tonight Alive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWxVQ-00HIg
Andrew Rayel & Mark Sixma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOzgW6HeMzg
Take That

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: November 06, 2015, 03:09:19 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk32JhmiC7Q
Demi Lovato

This is no where near as good as Cool For the Summer.  It has more parts to it, but that makes it less clean and minimal which is what made Cool For the Summer work so well.  It also does that weird mid 90s rap verse in the middle of it, but it is still just a dance track, it talks the same few verses over and over and over, which doesn't work for a song that is trying to be about something. 

Also that is a fucking terrible way to box.  If it is bare knuckle boxing a mouth guard won't save your teeth much at all, but will save your opponents hands from being shredded up by them!  But like, your shits fucked either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAnSr5N3c8E
Ben Haenow

This was the joke song right?  Because it is a song that starts off talking about how this isn't going to be like one of the story books and is then literally a stock love song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPsbLoh0l98
SHTEVIL

I was expecting SHTEVIL to be the joke or a metal track.  It instead is a nice old school rock track by a band with a metal as fuck sounding name.  So yeah they are Black Rebel Motorcycle Club pretty much straight copied.  BRMC is an amazing thing to be a copy of.  This is good and probably my favourite for the week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j7PBy7WiIY
Tonight Alive

I listened to this while I was shopping to be honest, it was just kind of teflon.  It is a personal growth anthem and well... I am still honestly going back to Tove Lo and Meg Myers tracks two weeks later, so it is getting compared to something muuuuch more of my taste.

That said, the track Lonely Girl that autoplayed afterwards by them?  Oh they are normally a pop punk band?  That's pretty cool.  If they get something else come up in the rotation I would consider that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWxVQ-00HIg
Andrew Rayel & Mark Sixma

Like I said, I was listening while shopping so didn't see videos.  This being the comedy option I guess?  The song itself is absolute junk food.  It is like probably 8 actual bars of music?  I don't fucking care.  It is delicious choice of old school tones.  It is literally just a stock dance track, but instrument choices makes it work (and of course i have already commented like... every single time I like a dance track that yeah the formula works).  This is my second favourite, but it is literally just below SHTEVIL.

Edit - And I dont' really get what is going on with the "game" here.  I am all for asynchronous gameplay here, but it looks like the kids high five after the boy fucks around and does fuck all useful while the girl cleans house as the cop.  The win condition is opaque as fuck if he is achieving something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOzgW6HeMzg
Take That

This is kind of pop that just never sticks with me.  It is too slick and clean but with nothing to really grab a hold of. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:13:47 PM by Grefter »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 06, 2015, 10:58:48 PM »
Demi Lovato - First 40 seconds of this were quite good and I was gearing up to say I liked it.  But then the chorus comes in, and it's ugly.  I dunno how else to say it.  The other week Grefter was showing me some rap stuff and I learned that style of music was much more interesting than I had thought.  This, though, is the negative stereotypes of the rap aesthetic without much of the positives. 

Ben Haenow - It's here!  The anti-me!  I feel antipathy for every single thing about this song and its imagery and lyrics and worldview!  o'u'o

SHTEVIL - I couldn't understand a single word of the lyrics by just listening to them.  Thanks to the uploaders for including them to read.  No big deal in the end though, they're unimportant anyway, this is an aesthetic groove kind of song and it hits the notes it's going for very well.  I am fairly neutral on the aesthetic and therefore just above neutral on the track overall, thanks to the video.  It works.

Tonight Alive - Song is just kinda there.  Okay but nothing special.  Video brings it up a couple of points by slipping in hints of a robotic transhumanism vibe.  My overall impression is the same style of song as the Demi Lovato, but better executed, but still just okay. 

Andrew Rayel & Mark Sixma - Good track.  Like Grefter said, very similar to SHTEVIL, genre aesthetic song being genre aesthetic with a few special brushes and a video trying to make it memorable.  I think this one succeeds a bit more, both due to genre preference and to my brain liking memorable impressions from visuals. 

Take That - Haha, what is this?  This should be the comedy option.  It has just enough self-awareness to push it into hilarious and enjoyable for me.  I recognize that is a personal threshold and if taken straight the song falls apart.  But that's the joke.  It isn't straight.  It isn't straight at all.

Mrf, tough week.  Kinda weak overall too.  Guess I'll toss it at the guilty pleasure.

Rayel & Sixma >= SHTEVIL > Take That >>> Tonight Alive > Demi Lovato >>> Ben Haenow

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 07, 2015, 05:12:06 PM »
Huh, yeah, I was having trouble deciding between SHTEVIL and Rayel&Sixma.  Looks like everyone called out those two.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 13, 2015, 04:46:10 AM »
This is like interesting percussion week.  Also, DJ earworm went political--didn't expect that.  Anyway, finalists, help me choose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS26xch5U24
sigma & rita ora

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVxRKMr-WGc
DJ Earworm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlZhZErPbHg
Mel Jade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBzl7XPJrRQ
伍俊華

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REfCDodbaxw
ghost town

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfYy5zBYHPo
Рэджл (Rejl)

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 13, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »
sigma and rita - Noooo there's no grefterpost already here for me to crib an idea base from!  Uhh so, this sounds like a stock song.  Standard buildup and chorus and all that, themes of general malaise with the world and wishing to come back to a comfortable home culture, well executed except the weird percussion line.  To me this is zzzfest.  The percussion line does stand out as being unusual and out of place, but unfortunately not in a good way - it sounds like a preset loop on one of those electric pianos on store display in Sears in the 90s. 

DJ earworm - "Freedom feels like flying, that's why I feel so free"  Hahaha are you serious?  This exists.  Well, it's exactly my brand of humor, so the lyrics and utterly deadpan vocal delivery score major points here.  Good thing they do, since the track spends most of its time relying on just the vocals and percussion and feels a little empty otherwise.  But it works!  Delicious stuff, gotta be a lot of writeup bait here too.  Agh okay I have to force myself to turn it off and continue. 

Mel Jade - Yeah, this is a pretty neat drum and bass line, set to adequately composed sexualized imagery.  I guess there are lyrics and a higher register tucked back in there somewhere, but they aren't very important.  The genre is called D&B for a reason, it is simply what it is.  The drums and bass here are good.

伍俊華 (aka Simon Ng) - Wow.  High production values, east/west classical fusion, highly emotive delivery.  I have no idea what the song is about, and the composition is really just standard movie music at its core, but the execution to my ears is on a whole 'nother level here.  Gotta say I'm a sucker for it.

Ghost Town - Ok, this feels like a song Grefter would have a lot to say about.  I hear a lot of stuff that I can only vaguely identify as "retro disco influence, kinda?" and "but it's actually good and there's a modern touch too."  The lyrics are pretty positive, and to quote a nice youtube comment for once, "i don't know exactly what the video had to do with anything but i liked how it didn't give a fuck about gender roles."  I am lost at trying to take this apart, but it sounds nice and has intriguing concepts.

Рэджл (Rejl) - Rounding out, we have another pretty standard sounding drum'n'synth line backing some vocals.  Emphasis is on the vocals here, but they're not terribly emotive beyond raw force so here I do feel lost not knowing what the lyrics mean.  The synth solos do a few nice things toward the back end of the song, but it's still second fiddle, the lyrics are meant to carry everything here.  If they're good then the song is good, if not then not, so... shame about that language barrier.

Wow, this is a really strong week for my tastes.  Sigma's getting the lowest marks but it's still average at worst, and I couldn't be unhappy with any of the others winning a week (assuming someone found a translation of Rejl's lyrics and they were good).

DJ earworm > Simon Ng > Mel Jade > Ghost Town > Rejl > Sigma

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 13, 2015, 04:30:53 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS26xch5U24
sigma & rita ora - ALex is right on this one, it is pretty standard song.  I don't have much here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVxRKMr-WGc
DJ Earworm - This is good like DJ Earworm will probably always be.  It is neat seeing something that isn't constructed out of diverse samples into its own thing.  This is good and probably the best made and catchy track of the week.  Its the best but in all honesty?  I kind of am not sure I am deeply invested in it.    Maybe it is just because of the subject matter.  Drones simultaneously seem like the greatest idea and the most fucking terrifyingly horrible thing we have done in the west on that small a scale of war. 

I just don't even know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlZhZErPbHg
Mel Jade - This is a nice dirty as fuck track.  I like a lot of what it is doing, but I don't think it capitalises on it as much as it could.  Video wise it is tame Gaga fashion.  I think overall it is mostly just, this is a good track that is almost entirely the instruments and producer at play here ... which upon googling to make sure it IS her so there is definitely credit for the art there.  Hmm I dunno?

伍俊華 - This is someone's dad wearing leather pants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REfCDodbaxw
ghost town - Alex is right, I have tons to say about this.  This is a bunch of stuff I like from the 90s musically.  The music video is some mish mash of mid to late 90s which is weird because it is early to mid 90s musically.  There is all kinds of dirty dark 90s rock tones going on, it is great bleak feel and then suddenly out of nowhere there is a dance chorus and the singer does a Michael Jackson impression and it kills the mood.  This is a weird fucking song man.  Visually it is like it is trying to push early 90s goth sort of stuff, but musically it is like... the stuff a goth and their friends would probably listen to, but it isn't their jam.  Its just kind of tangentially there.  I don't really get why absolutely everyone but Fake Skrillex busts out in dance.  There is a kid wearing a visor labeled VISOR BOYS, I can't realistically not say this is my pick of the week and a chunk of it is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfYy5zBYHPo
Рэджл (Rejl)

This would be way better with less production work done on the vocals.  The beat is good and the songwriting is solid, then the vocals are cleaned up and have a bunch of echo thrown on it and blech.  It doesn't mesh with the rest of the song at all.  It is a shame because I really dig stuff in Russian (like not just in I like hearing songs in foreign languages.  Russian has an interesting flow to it of its own... which I guess is generally the appeal of the tracks in different languages to me, but whatever, I dig this specifically anyway).

DJ Earworm is better song, but Ghost Town speaks more to me.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 14, 2015, 04:20:57 AM »
伍俊華 - This is someone's dad wearing leather pants.

Oh, yeah, my bad, here's the (roughly) 7th and 8th place songs.  Much more to comment on in the fashion department, just not songs I thought I was likely to pick over the competition this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqzBrI76e4g
Vixx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVdAXzu6LgE
Raina

the lyrics are meant to carry everything here.  If they're good then the song is good, if not then not, so... shame about that language barrier.

Here's what I'll say about the russian song.  When there's a female russian signer, approximately 100% of the time she has bleached blonde hair, and dresses slutty.  By comparison, this Russian woman...looks like a stereotypical western lesbian, which is particularly noteworthy when being gay in Russia is...pretty rough right now.  I have no confirmation on this theory at all, but it definitely stuck out as different, and caught my attention.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 04:27:03 AM by metroid composite »

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 20, 2015, 04:24:44 AM »
Finalists.  You know, there's a funny story about Justin Beiber almost making the top 6, but he scrubbed out about 9th in the end.  I don't have any sarcastic quips to make about the remaining six, they're all stuff I expect would be well-received.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hkmuTvkp_s
Halestorm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bSq4eB9cO8
Amaranthe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUChk0lxF44
Panic! At the Disco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1_rw1gU6h0
B.A.P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLuNr70paw4
Maxsta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBRH4mFODwM
Fleur East

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 20, 2015, 06:36:26 AM »
Halestorm - More standard 90s alt rock stuff.  I love it of course because it is standard 90s alt rock stuff.  That chord progression is pretty stock.

Mad props for double neck guitar and its use being shown pretty accurately

Amaranthe - Prog metal track with a film clip at least 50% devoted to ice hockey?  Its okay, we still remember you are Canadian.

I think it is a bit too busy (even for a prog song), but well... It is a prog metal song with a film clip that is 50% devoted to Ice Hockey.  I can seriously get behind this.

Panic! At the Disco - This is a pretty great get pumped song.  That guitar riff is spot on.  Of course it is a Panic! At the Disco song, so it is only ironically about that.  It is still good, it does what it does well.

B.A.P - Glasses dude works every outfit he is in.  More than the others (who are all super pretty), but Glasses gets a ton of mileage out of his jackets and coats.  There is some cool set pieces here.  A cool film clip like these vampireguys always do.

The song just kind of is there though.

Maxsta - I looooove the beat for this.  It is so bare bones and stripped back.  I also generally like any rap from London that bubbles up that has decent flow.  This guy maintains flow with that beat so yeah good stuff.  I think this is the kind of thing that like Alex and I will like but I wouldn't really go "HEY EVERYOEN LISTEN TO THIS!~!!!" so poooosssibly in my top 2 or 3 it sits like bottom of the would recommend list for public consumption.

Fleur East - Sax.  Bass guitar and horns.
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 20, 2015, 10:06:11 PM »
Halestorm - Very up front and in your face.  Maybe a little too in my face, though the straightforwardness is refreshing.  Not much to say, this is firmly in the territory of "solid but not a favorite" and I think that's what it wants to be, anyway.

Amaranthe - Excellent job capturing the earnest intensity of youth extracurriculars.  The song is full, overly full but not unpleasantly so, which is exactly how a kid like that feels in that sort of situation.  Or should, in the best case scenarios.  This is one of those cases where the video, or at least a glimpse at the video, feels really integral to how much I like the song, though.  If I just heard this on the radio and had to try and figure out what it was about from the lyrics, I think it would be too muddy to bother with.  The video is concise, though, there isn't a story or anything, you can get everything you need to get out of it by watching any random 10 second segment.  So... pretty good in my book overall.

Panic! At the Disco - Geez, another loud victory anthem thingy?  That's three in a row that all sound and feel similar, so it's kinda hard not to compare them.  I liked the first part of this one, but not so much when the chorus and later verses hit.  Kinda turned into a weaker version of the Amaranthe when that happened.  On the other hand, the musical flairs going on here are a cut above the first two songs.  I like them bringing in a bit of brass and varying what's happening.  The video and lyrics are a downgrade though, whether or not they're intended as parody.

B.A.P - Good video, good production values, technically okay song.  Heartless though.  Not my thing.  It leaves something like soap scum in my brain, a certainty that these people are maybe young but neither wild nor free.  This is the sort of derivative overly slick music that I think PSY is famously trying to rally against.

Maxsta - Yeah, unsurprisingly this is easily my favorite business.  If you are actually young, wild, free, and valuing earnest self expression, this is the sort of thing you come out with.  Even kept in some of the moments where he fumbles the delivery slightly.  It works as a stark contrast to the rest of the week's offerings.  Grefter continues to be right in that this sort of thing is why I do not overlap musical tastes with most people though.  There is certainly a topical writeup angle to be had here about minorities and disaffected populations in Europe right now.  But it is not for mainstream people.

Fleur East - A Good Song.  Well composed, well delivered, and makes me want to dance to it.  A much safer venue for the Europe writeup if you wanted to go in that direction, probably.  Like Simon, I have nothing much to say, it's just good.

Maxsta >>> Fleur East > Amaranthe > Panic at the Disco > Halestorm > BAP

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 26, 2015, 04:05:08 AM »
So...Thursday, the day I usually use to reduce the options down to a just 6 picks...is not happening due to American holidays.  This means I have a mess of songs right now, most of which I've only listened to about five times.  (B- or A- at this point means five listens.  B means 10 listens.  B+ means 20ish listens).  Some of these won't be that great. On the flip side, it's not unusual for songs that we eventually pick to start Thursday with B- (just due to time constraints of listening to 100 songs in a week).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHd4HPmz5aE
The Doubleclicks - B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDu93pdyBDE
andy grammer - B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t6lIN0jPvc
LuHan - B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNHxwSp-6Og
chvrches - B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kszLwBaC4Sw&feature=em-subs_digest-g
David Bowie - B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTZTA3oe_U0
phantasma - B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58y6axpS-E
against the current - B+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o4Zj98FeX4
CL - B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFZBMPg2y3w
Charlie puth, brett eldredge, ty dolla sign, sofia reyes - B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNnV2D7ME7A
9muses - B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6iKSUoUN48
avicii - B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS-PLcAvuhk
Gus G - B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLNqmDOa-Ww
Kate Miller-Heidke - A-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTGlvcuVlkA
d_29 - B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvVEqlo3Htc
Carlprit & U Jean - B-

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 26, 2015, 11:53:05 AM »
I would go for Kate Milker-Heidke and The Beards but that is because I fully support them both.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 04, 2015, 03:39:52 AM »
You know, despite a week with two new PSY videos, and DJ Earworm United States of Pop 2015, and Dash Berlin remixing videogame music of the game I'm playing the most right now...I actually feel like this week's choices are kinda below average.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32kRlB59zqQ
Disney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Hkl3CxGS4
Helloween

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF27TNC_4pc
PSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjHToPS3W1o
D.O.D. & Futurisitic Polar Bears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJV7gzn1I4k
Dash Berlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfFEhd7mk7c
DJ Earworm

(And as a bonus, the PSY song that didn't even make a B-rating, but has the funnier video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrG4TEcSuRg )
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:41:59 AM by metroid composite »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 04, 2015, 12:00:54 PM »
Disney - Nonsensical lyrics, engineered earwormness, not really my bag.  Thing that sticks out the most to me is how overtly sexualized it is for a Disney thing, even discounting the video.  Feels strange.

Helloween - Metal, feels strangely low energy.  Part of that is the video, the crowd in this recording is very unhype.  But still, just feels restrained and kinda eh.  Good metal is about the opposite of restraint.  IMO anyway.

PSY - Seems like a lot of the time there's K-pop on here I wind up thinking about how so much of it seems to be wrapped up in a fascination with specifically American culture.  Well, when PSY drops into a fake Tonight Show with a fake David Letterman halfway through, it's hard not to notice (and it is a PSY song so there's no use pretending we're not watching the video).  This is not as earwormy as his previous tracks, at least not overtly, but I still nodded to the beat and it still flows very well.  Good clean song.

DOD and Polar Bears - Well... they have a cool sound.  I have heard this cool sound before though, and in better songs that do more with it.  Was talking with Grefter and he was able to cite some specific examples.  The sound is good enough that I still felt the need to turn the volume to max, but the track around it is very bare bones and doesn't do anything particularly special. 

Dash Berlin - All I can think about here is "What is with the nipple lasers?"  We get Marine Dude with extremely prominent nipple lights, Diablo with nipple flames, and then Kerrigan and Nova who, well, yeah.  The actual song barely registers to me.  There is Blizzard cinema stuff and then it gets electrified a little bit.

DJ Earworm - It is a mashup of pop songs.  That is all the commentary I can really give.  It exists and is exactly what it says on the tin.  Maybe a bit dry, just comparing to other mashups?  Mwaf.

Yeah this is not a terribly strong week.

PSY > you know, thinking about ranking the rest just causes apathy, even generic PSY is a solid cut above the rest.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 04, 2015, 12:13:42 PM »
Disney - The characters are a bit uncanny valley for my tastes and ... the song doesn't do much for me?  It is too much high pitches fed through so much synth that blergh.  I guess ultra synthetic is an accurate stylistic choice for Disney but it really doesn't work for me.

Helloween - This track is kind of eh.  It is epic metal stuff.  The crowd just sit there and do nothing.  I wouldn't either.  That kind of music isn't really much on depth and is kind of whatever for going to see live just to see someone play it live.  They have really bad stage presence, so the crowd are just like... there.  Its a meh song in a bad live music clip.  It would do much better as a regular music video.

Psy - I like this track a lot.  It is a good Psy track, those generally are pretty good.  The bass line kicks and bounces along really nice.  I dig the 70s fashion.  I would really love to know what the it is all about.  I am not sure how much cache there is left in linking "Here is a weird thing Psy did".  Otherwise this is my favourite so far.

Day of Defeat and the Futuristic Polar Bearts - I like this better when it was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvwtuRUM5oU

Dash Berlin - This... does nothing for me.  I think Blizzard could have licensed the X-Men the Animated Series song and it would synch up and be more exciting (it also has church bells).

DJ Earworm - HHhhhmmmmmm okay.  I don't think this is great.  It is technically really well put together and it makes a good song, but I think it is held back by pop in 2015 not being that great.  LIke.... I think this track is better than all bar maybe at most 3?  Like... it isn't as good as the Adelle track.  I am going to give Megan Traynor benefit of the doubt and say that the song sampled is probably better.  At least one of the Taylor Swift songs, Blank Space?  What do I think of Blank Space now months later?

Yeah I go with Psy pretty strongly.