Author Topic: 2020 Miscellaneous Links: Untitled Moose Game  (Read 145446 times)

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Miscellaneous Links: The Links Awaken
« Reply #1425 on: October 04, 2016, 01:23:14 AM »
I know, it's just perspective for me. I take for granted that where I live is "expensive" because, well, it's one of the most expensive places in the world! Obviously everyone knows that.

But then to see somewhere I consider cheap considered expensive to someone else... it's a nice kick in the teeth reminder that "most expensive place in the world" has meaning, you know? I can move anywhere but a handful of places and see a substantial increase in my standard of living.

Which reminds me to be frustrated with where I am now, where what I have means NOTHING. Where making more than 2x the median US household income means I can afford to pay rent on a 1-bedroom, but it most definitely does not mean I can buy anything (ahahahahahaha).

Wait, this is Misc Links, right? Here, have a link that is sustaining my rage:

Frisco versus Don't Call It Frisco

<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1426 on: October 04, 2016, 09:44:47 PM »
Might be cheaper now, but housing costs are rising faster here than anywhere in the country and it's mostly because of You People so please don't move here.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: October 05, 2016, 11:57:25 PM »
Might be cheaper now, but housing costs are rising faster here than anywhere in the country and it's mostly because of You People so please don't move here.

I mean the city could do things to help people living there by enacting rent control laws

oh that's against oregon state law

well it's 100% Us People's fault

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: October 10, 2016, 06:16:35 PM »
I feel like every city needs its own program; austin wouldnt benefit from rent control, too many students would take up space for workers in the city, landlords wouldn't keep up properties... those turning austin into a silicon valley (the developers, etc) should pay a premium for the people of all backgrounds they're pushing out, and this means more than just sidewalks.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: October 12, 2016, 07:30:24 AM »
Gentrification can only be slowed down not prevented.
Even in France
RIP Rob
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 07:32:40 AM by Fenrir »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: October 12, 2016, 08:43:03 AM »
I feel like every city needs its own program; austin wouldnt benefit from rent control, too many students would take up space for workers in the city, landlords wouldn't keep up properties... those turning austin into a silicon valley (the developers, etc) should pay a premium for the people of all backgrounds they're pushing out, and this means more than just sidewalks.

true

that said i was mostly speaking to what very little i know about portland's housing crisis with that statement

(that said having been said to what I would like to counter in this post that is a response to another post, Gentrification has only kiiiinda hit Albuquerque so far, so the situation isn't the same. The best pre-emptive answer in my opinion IIF that's going to become a problem would be to enact rent control laws to make sure people and families and people with families already living near major metropolitan centers don't get booted out by greedy landlords selling overpriced, decaying housing space to people with enough money to throw around to shove out the people already living there

(additionally, it would be nice to try enacting laws preventing realty companies with tons of money to throw around to buy out the current (slum lords/realty agents/rich people who bought houses for their kids to live in while they were in college and are now renting it out to other people because that kid has long since moved on)... just in order to drive up the cost of living in order to make more money from the employees of tech companies building campuses in the area who want to live in a house "closer to the action" of the downtown and uptown areas of the city.

(the thing is that the houses in these sorts of areas are already barely kept up and aren't really worth any more than they are now. if they WERE better kept up, they already would be going for more on the market here. artificial price inflation on houses like that would be a fucking terrible for the people already living there who don't own their own homes, which I imagine is a lot of them.

(so at least for Albuquerque, in the very realistic scenario that it faces a similar housing crisis as portland and california, the answer wouldn't be to stop "you people" from moving here to work in companies setting up shop here, it would be to prevent predatory land prospectors from driving rent prices above reasonable rates for current local residents living in already shitty housing)

But yeah that tangent aside, you're absolutely right, the best urban planning strategy really does depend on the city. I can only really speak to the places I have lived in and have heard about vaguely from people who have lived there.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: October 14, 2016, 02:50:25 AM »
Stuntman performs moves from Tekken characters.  His whole channel is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2G45kLcArU

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: October 14, 2016, 03:12:31 AM »
Nice.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: October 14, 2016, 06:04:14 AM »
I stopped a bit in because I need to work/bored.  Those 10 strings were pretty great though.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: October 15, 2016, 09:19:55 PM »

true

that said i was mostly speaking to what very little i know about portland's housing crisis with that statement

(that said having been said to what I would like to counter in this post that is a response to another post, Gentrification has only kiiiinda hit Albuquerque so far, so the situation isn't the same. The best pre-emptive answer in my opinion IIF that's going to become a problem would be to enact rent control laws to make sure people and families and people with families already living near major metropolitan centers don't get booted out by greedy landlords selling overpriced, decaying housing space to people with enough money to throw around to shove out the people already living there

(additionally, it would be nice to try enacting laws preventing realty companies with tons of money to throw around to buy out the current (slum lords/realty agents/rich people who bought houses for their kids to live in while they were in college and are now renting it out to other people because that kid has long since moved on)... just in order to drive up the cost of living in order to make more money from the employees of tech companies building campuses in the area who want to live in a house "closer to the action" of the downtown and uptown areas of the city.

(the thing is that the houses in these sorts of areas are already barely kept up and aren't really worth any more than they are now. if they WERE better kept up, they already would be going for more on the market here. artificial price inflation on houses like that would be a fucking terrible for the people already living there who don't own their own homes, which I imagine is a lot of them.

(so at least for Albuquerque, in the very realistic scenario that it faces a similar housing crisis as portland and california, the answer wouldn't be to stop "you people" from moving here to work in companies setting up shop here, it would be to prevent predatory land prospectors from driving rent prices above reasonable rates for current local residents living in already shitty housing)

But yeah that tangent aside, you're absolutely right, the best urban planning strategy really does depend on the city. I can only really speak to the places I have lived in and have heard about vaguely from people who have lived there.

Re: asking businesses to be compassionate

I also suggest being on the lookout for tax-funded entertainment bloat funds hidden in new laws with corporate backing: IE, it is fucking disgusting how taxpayer money goes to football stadiums that draws up an economic bubble of brunch locations and froyo shops that also contributes to pushing those taxpayers out... IE, folk need to pay attention collectively, too.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: October 20, 2016, 10:18:04 PM »
Nintendo revealed their new console today.  I like it a lot.  This is the direction they should have gone with Wii U, focusing on portability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: October 20, 2016, 10:26:44 PM »
Naming your console the same thing as a part of BDSM culture is weird.

Device itself looks way sleeker than a normal Nintendo console, but is in line with their movile stuff since like the DSi.

Need more details before excitement but it looks neat and I would lose controllers instantly.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: October 21, 2016, 08:40:43 PM »
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1438 on: October 22, 2016, 09:34:56 PM »
Gentrification can only be slowed down not prevented.
Even in France
RIP Rob

I don't care about Gentrification, I just don't want people from California moving here. RIP them.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: October 26, 2016, 09:20:30 PM »
These made me smile today:
http://blackyouthproject.com/comic-book-artist-under-fire-for-hypersexualized-drawing-of-black-girl-iron-man/ (ew, what a gross URL listing)
http://blackyouthproject.com/black-comic-book-store-owner-featured-on-invincible-iron-man-variant-cover/

Hurray to people to are comfortable speaking out! And this #TeensThatLookLikeTeens - should it be #TeensWhoLookLikeTeens? - hashtag has me thinking about some awful bodyshaming and respectability politics that adults dump on young folk. Shirley Temple was sexualized as a child, I'm quite sure certain segments would be okay with sexualized young people (hello vidyagamesanime). The thing is sexualization in the first place.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: October 26, 2016, 10:07:01 PM »
#TeensThatLookLikeTeensIfTeensHadSomeDisorderThatGaveThemGiganticAnimeEyes

They hit it right with Kitty Pryde though; she covered the anorexic segment of the teenage population well.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: October 27, 2016, 02:18:45 PM »
Right!?

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: October 28, 2016, 05:18:35 AM »
#TeensThatLookLikeTeens - should it be #TeensWhoLookLikeTeens? -

At least according to most modern EFL teaching resources either is acceptable usage these days

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: October 28, 2016, 08:32:01 AM »
#TeensWhoLookLikeTeens

It uses less characters so you can fit more into your other 118.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: October 28, 2016, 10:00:48 PM »
oh please you'd just waste it on an oxford comma anyway

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: October 28, 2016, 10:15:12 PM »
Why would you speak to me that way.  Especially when I always said that I Haven't got the words for you All your diction dripping with disdain
Through the pain
I always tell the truth

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: October 31, 2016, 01:47:55 PM »
http://time.com/4549289/apple-macbook-pro-surface-studio/

I've been out of the loop with new computers since 2009. Hell, I'm stuck in the "olden" days of Mac OSX 10.7. But, I hadn't thought about the PC market shifting to just professional demographics. It has me wondering the pressure on, or investments by, universities that move at different frequencies for updating material. Also, what about public libraries!? They still have they keyboards with the big ass keys, and no Macs! (In ATL)

We were going to get a desktop sometime next year, but hm… I wonder when the upgrade steam will slow?

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: October 31, 2016, 10:52:05 PM »
https://www.humblebundle.com/day-of-the-devs-2016

Excellent bundle here.  Titan Souls is so worth a dollar.  Really neat game, short, takes a simple idea and runs with it, very pretty, cool boss design.  If artisinal were a word that hadn't jumped the shark, you could call it artisinal.

https://medium.com/charged-tech/apple-just-told-the-world-it-has-no-idea-who-the-mac-is-for-722a2438389b#.tjbzmwm63

Alternate take on the Macbook Pro.  I think the general consensus is that the pro *should* be oriented at professionals, but that the new pro doesn't actually do a good job of that at all.  The thing about the march of progress of PCs is, there's always going to be hype, and sometimes it's warranted and sometimes not, but it's rarely worth waiting for - you'll wait forever.  This year's video cards are hype-worthy compared to last year - a gigantic leap in efficiency and speed for your consumer dollar.  This year's CPUs are an iterational change, with efficiency gains that make a difference in a laptop but are barely relevant in a desktop.  And so on.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: November 01, 2016, 03:31:10 AM »
So this entire animation was done by one guy.  One.  He's working on a Street Fighter animation next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU