Author Topic: Good Morning, 2014! #firstworldproblems edition  (Read 18778 times)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
Re: Good Morning, 2014! #firstworldproblems edition
« Reply #275 on: September 24, 2014, 01:06:43 AM »
Writing an english CV.

So last year my formation was : One week at the university, then three months working for a company (as an internship), then repeat. It's called an "alternance" in France. Does this exist in english? How would you translate it?

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 24, 2014, 01:12:26 AM »
Depends on your goals in your CV, but IIRC from my last conversation about such things with coworkers, it would be understood as a work/study training program.

Work/study has its own connotations in America (typically a form of financial aid for a college degree) but it gets across the idea.

Alternately, you could just use internship. If the years of your education wrap around the date of the alternance, everyone will understand what that means.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 24, 2014, 01:18:08 AM »
So it is various different companies you are interning at or is it the same one you go back to?

Google spat out

alternance   
      nf   alternation 
en alternance      alternately 
formation en alternance      sandwich course 

So "Alternation" appears to be a one word term equivalent, but not one that you would see in common parlance.

I would probably describe it as one internship alternating 3 weeks practical on site, 1 week theory at school.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 24, 2014, 05:13:27 AM »
Just call it an internship, as long as it's clear elsewhere in your CV that you were in education at the same time or immediately beforehand.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 24, 2014, 07:39:57 AM »
Thanks all!

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 30, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »
I bought a motorcycle.

I pick it up on Saturday and hope I don't crash it on the ride home. :D

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 30, 2014, 07:39:46 PM »
Please don't. That would be worst birthday.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #282 on: October 30, 2014, 07:41:45 PM »
... why does this give me the image of Ashley, with Remy just kinda hanging out on her shoulder in a little doggy bike helmet, riding around the living room chasing Andrew?
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 31, 2014, 05:07:12 AM »
I finally have health insurance and I am so excited. The job I'm at is not going to be long term, but it's good for holding down the fort for now.  Mmm, must find better paying job and tackle grad school at... some point. Eventually.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 31, 2014, 11:59:09 AM »
I bought a motorcycle.

I pick it up on Saturday and hope I don't crash it on the ride home. :D

Ashley and the Motor Corgis would make a good post-indie band name.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: November 02, 2014, 09:21:22 AM »
Just going to drop this off here, if anybody's interested: $5 off of Smash 4 Wii U if you go to futureshop.ca and redeem the promo code SMSHPRE. Works an unlimited number of times.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 06, 2014, 06:44:37 PM »
I'm still job hunting myself, but this is probably about the worst time of the year to look for jobs in science, since grants to do research are distributed in January-March. So I've been doing other stuff to stay happy. First, I got a few books from the library and I'm trying to teach myself how to draw. So far it's been decent but a bit humbling. I feel in some ways that it's tapping some potential that I've always had, but right now it's a little painful to look at the pictures. I've also been working on a romantic fantasy novel for NaNoWriMo. I'm trying to use it as a way to teach myself to be consistent in my writing, so I'm attempting not to do too much in any one day, but to do a bit every single day. I also checked out some books on creative writing from the library for NaNo but I haven't actually touched them yet. Oh well. I've also tried to keep in better touch with my parents and grandmother since I have more time to just sit around and chat with people. I also cooked some tasty brownies. :)

Aside from staring into the dwindling void that is my bank account, it's been a pretty pleasant couple of months.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 25, 2014, 06:17:24 PM »
I guess everyone's growing up and either failing to do anything interesting enough to talk about, or being disinterested in complaining/chatting about it. Oh well - I still haven't grown out of that.

Those of you who've been around a while have seen my repeated interest in and failure to buy(ing) San Diego Comic Con badges. This year, I totally facepalmed and remembered that I could qualify for a trade professional badge. So I applied and I've been accepted. Woo hoo!

It doesn't mean I'm guaranteed a badge, but it does make it a heck of a lot more likely that I can get one. Plus, if I do, trade pros get priority badge pickup and a special fancy lounge. A special fancy lounge that other industry professionals also have access to...

The badge sale for pros isn't until early next year, but, woo hoo! Another chance to get badges!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 25, 2014, 07:47:07 PM »
Man I can't do anything constructive and job hunt at the same time. I'm not depressed at all (I'm pretty happy actually) but completely lethargic. I don't know how you do it Ciato.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 25, 2014, 08:28:56 PM »
FB kind of filled the void that the good morning topic filled for me. Anyway, right now I'm just working retail still. I have a job interview next week I'm excited about. It's just nice to get a callback from a job I'd want, rather than a job that pays the bills and passes the time.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 26, 2014, 09:50:07 AM »
Yeah you're either job hunting or like working. Even my job has settled into a work-game-sleep routine after 3 years. I guess I could talk about stressing about what to do after my contract limit is up but meh I got games to fail at. No news is usually good news.

Also, congrats on Comic Con.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 27, 2014, 02:28:09 PM »
Yeah you're either job hunting or like working.

Second'd. I could talk about the joys of learning speedruns and the practice, frustration and hilarity at getting the worst luck at every possible turn, but my assumption is that people don't want to hear about it >_>.

Stop me if I'm wrong though.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 28, 2014, 07:12:39 AM »
It's a big topic, there's plenty of space for everyone to rant.
-------------------

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 28, 2014, 04:45:36 PM »
rantans? on MY intrenets?
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #294 on: December 10, 2014, 11:07:04 AM »
Good morning. I love my job. I really do.

But it is tiring. I'm just really worn out every day after all the daily life stuff on top of the really long workdays and long-ass commutes.

I am so tired that I no longer have the energy to debate about video games on the internet. That's how tired I am. So if my posts seem a little truncated lately, it's not because I'm trying to be pithy and dismissive. It's because an effort post with impassioned pleas to emotion for awesome games... requires energy I don't have. (NieR is awesome)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 10, 2014, 11:51:44 AM »
I don't have to like everything you do.  We will always have Tales of Xillia (you do like Xillia right?).

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #296 on: December 10, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »
I do like Xillia. And no, you don't have to like everything I do, but NieR is literally the game I listed as my number one favorite and I do enjoy talking about games and debating their merits. So even if I disagree with you, it's a conversation I want to have and hopefully allow you to see where I'm coming from as a separate perspective on this game you seem to really hate. But goddamn, I am half-asleep, typing this excuse for my excuse. Actual debate just isn't happening. Is it Christmas break yet? I miss free time.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 10, 2014, 03:53:09 PM »
How can you work without thinking about your rebuttal to Grefter nonstop re: Nier.
This is like the purpose of the Internet.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 10, 2014, 05:05:19 PM »
Well, once you're not so overwhelmed and exhausted, I'd like to read something about how Nier connected to you (or to other DLers who really liked it), just as I'm interested basically any time someone is able to articulate why a form of media or whatever really works for them. I went through all of the content and found things to a lot to like, such as the detailed backstory, the soundtrack, surprisingly powerful emotional moments from characters you wouldn't expect (as well as other reversals in expectation), and touches like the weapon stories (which are always welcome and are a positive part of even shit games like Drakengard 3). In the end, though, I didn't walk away from it really connecting with it the way that some others have. It may be that articulating something that personally works for you to that extent is extremely difficult if not impossible to convey, especially to someone who doesn't like it, but I think it's worthwhile to try.

This is a bit of an aside, but when I first played Dark Souls, I did like it but didn't quite understand why everyone was so obsessed with it until I listened to the Bonfireside Chat podcast. It was just great to listen to two people who really loved the game just talk about and dissect the lore and each stage of the game with the depth that they did, and they covered a lot of things that I hadn't noticed or found. I did a replay (the first of many) and had a renewed appreciation for things that passed over me, and at that point, I really understood the hype. So again, while some things about your feelings about a game/whatever may be difficult to communicate, I can say definitively that my opinion has been swayed by people who were able to articulate themselves well about it (the same for me is true of good literary/film criticism).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 10, 2014, 08:38:50 PM »
If you want to see that kind of thing go well Duck, I had similar experience of trying to understand why people liked dark Souls as much as well.  Like every time Fenrir and acid posted about it last year they got the third degree from me trying to understand it.  I think I kind of understood before I started listening to Bonfireside Chat, but it was listening to that which softened me up enough to give it a try myself.  Now It struggle to articulate what it is I liked about I.

For a bad experience though, do the above for me and FF13 where I get into arguments with people I love over a game I don't like but can't leave alone trying to understand the appeal.