Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 182795 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #2700 on: November 29, 2014, 02:29:02 AM »
Marcus Solo gets walled so hard at the final chapter. Actually many FE7 solos do, I think Meeple gave up on beating his Hector one there for instance. I'm actually pretty impressed Lucius was able to get through that, though blah blah depends on stats etc. RNG abuse can go a long way if you're willing to do that.

HM actually barely matters for the final chapter, and everything before then is largely fairly easy on a solo (aside from some rough spots getting started depending on the character, and as mentioned a few points where you can lose a battle without dying)... so yeah mode shouldn't matter too much I wouldn't think.

Light is the only battle in the game that really punishes low speed (Oh god does it ever) and Dragon has fearsome defense. If you don't hit a weakness there you are going to have trouble against the final.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: November 29, 2014, 02:35:47 AM »
FF10 HD: So...we just wrecked 1000 years of tradition in order to save the world!

First plot stuff we get? A bunch of scenes from prior pilgrimages!  Apparently Ohaland and that other dude aren't important enough, BUT LADY YOCUN MUST BE SHOW SO WE CAN FORGET ABOUT HER 2 MINUTES LATER!  Then we have kid Seymour whose all "I don't wanna say the world because you won't be in it :(" even though he's going to die too...pretty weird thing for the kid to be scared that his mother is going to die instead of he himself and...wait, how does Seymour and his mother know that the Final Aeon yield the death of the person?  You don't learn about this until you get inside!  I suppose because Lord Jiscal is a Maester, he might have inside knowledge or something, but that's about the best I can come up with.

Then we see Jecht being all "Don't do it" and Braska's all "too bad" and Jecht's like "Well shucks, I tried" and Auron's like "MY TURN! BEHOLD MY HEARTFELT SPEECH TO TALK YOU OUT OF IT!" and Braska's like "nope, didn't work!"

Then we do the Cloyster of Trials...which is weird because they don't play the music here but they do play it if you come back to get the Destruction Sphere!  THIS IS TOTALLY IMPORTANT AND IF YOU SAY OTHERWISE YOU CLEARLY DO NOT HAVE YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT!

Then we meet some old dude who is...completely useless.  Like, does Yunalesca really need an old, undead butler to help her?  What does a dead person who does nothing but lay around half naked on a couch need?  Speaking of which, what the hell does she do all these years?

There's 8 Aeons in the game, meaning 8 people who reached Zanarkand and failed to kill Sin (or in Seymour's case, simply said "screw you, I quit!"), so they met Yunalesca, then we have the 4 high summoners.  So over the course of 1000 years, only 12 pilgrimages have gotten that far...you'd think she'd be happy to see another person!  You're the first person she's seen in like 10 years after all, and Braska is...the first person she's seen since Seymour's pilgrimage I guess?  God knows how long a difference between Seymour and the others and *fast forward button pressed because this is looking too deep into things*

So Yunalesca appears, is all "kill one of your friends so you can kill Sin...and you will die too...KILL YOURSELF DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!"  Yuna's like "ok" and Lulu and Wakka are like "We volunteer!" then Tidus is all "HELL NAW!"

Ok, to be serious, this is the part where Tidus really comes through.  He puts his foot down and says "no, you are not going through with this, killing yourself is not the answer."  We see a flashback with Auron saying the same thing to Braska, and Braska just goes "there's a chance it won't!" and it does, and Auron gets angry seeing this part of his life over.  This is a rare case of seeing Auron show legitimate emotion that isn't casual happiness or anger or something.  Which is fine; Auron's suppose to be kind of stoicy and unphased by much, so seeing him get emotional shows just how much this hurts him.  Tidus seeing Auron doing the same thing and failing just further cements that Tidus has to try harder.

Wakka and Lulu respond with "You want everything, but you'll get nothing.  Stop being a child!"  Tidus says "but I want everything!" Not the best response, but Tidus is also not the brightest person despite not being an idiot.  The better statement is Tidus' follow up to that:

"Ok, tell me, what would an adult do?  Just send more summoners to throw away like trash?"  Paraphrased, but I do like his point here, because while it is arguably "childish" he's taking the moral high ground and basically saying "This is stupid!  All you're doing is enabling more death and destruction and we all know it's just a temporary solution!"  Then he follows up with "Yunalesca knows, let's talk to her one last time!"

Yunalesca of course goes "nope, Final Summoning, only way, AND SIN ALWAYS COMES BACK!" and pretty much spells out that Yevon's teachings were always a lie, just to give people hope, if a false one.  Then Yuna gives the "we will live without false hope!" speech, basically telling Yunalesca to shove it, Auron's "Now's the time!" speech kicks in, everyone gives their epic lines of determination, and they kick Yunalesca's ass.  Yunalesca's response is "Now you've REALLY doomed Spira!  Yu Yevon is immortal!" and dies.

Then we have talking about what to do next, then Auron pulls Tidus aside.  One thing I left out is in an earlier scene, Jecht explains why he decides to go with Braska:

He's given up hope of ever going home, and thus his biggest dream will never be fulfilled.  What is his dream?  Seeing Tidus grow up and become a star player like he himself.  This is the scene that finally encaptures that Jecht was thinking what he was doing is tough love, and he really did care for Tidus, and wanted him to succeed, he just was really bad at doing it.  Still, it's a noble dream nonetheless, and one he will never see fulfilled, so he decides he might as make himself useful.

So piggybacking off that, Jecht basically hands the torch over to Auron, asking him to raise Tidus.  He calls him a crybaby that needs protecting, but it's still a noble thing to do; he wants to make sure Tidus has some form of father figure to look up to, though the Tidus/Auron relationship came off more like Nephew/Uncle than pseudo father/son, but I digress.  Still, we also learn that Auron is dead, he used this to his advantage, etc.

Not much important happens from here, just discussing of what to do next.  I guess a few minor things worth noting are:

-Yuna finally meets Cid, her uncle, and they don't exchange any words.  Yuna bows her head, Cid turns around, because he's about to break up crying seeing her; probably because Yuna looks a lot like his sister, and it's an emotional moment that he almost lost her, etc.
-Rikku and Wakka fighting over the "LET ME TELL THE PLAN!"  Just funny little incident of how far that relationship has gone and how the two bounce off each other.  On one hand, we have the energetic 15 year old girl, on the otherhand, we have the idiot who loves attention.  So Lulu jumping in and being the one to say the plan was a great little punch line that made them both go "Aaaawwww..."

Then I went off and started doing gameplay things...because gameplay...and gameplay...and YOJIMBO YOU ARE AN EXPENSIVE WHORE!

EDIT: Regarding Hector solo, yeah, I gave up.  Part of this was because I didn't plan properly and save Tomahawks which may have given me a chance, but ultimately, the mages were doing too much damage and them being able to attack without countering effectively (Hand Axes weren't cutting it from my recollection) led to some bad stuff.  Ursula especially was threatening because of the move, and while it was a joke, Jerme's damage was meaningful because taking 7 damage can mean the difference between surviving something Ursula does or dying.

I am not sure if Tomahawk would have made a difference, but I'm sure a legitimate ranged counter would have been meaningful.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: November 29, 2014, 02:58:46 AM »
Well. Erk would have an easier time except for that gimmicky final boss that he couldn't possibly beat!

I'm really glad I bought that Initiative weapon for Oh fuck! so he could triplecast "Failing to run away" at the start of every battle.
I also noticed that Flare actually isn't even on Lulu's tree at all. it's nearby geographically on the spheregrid but there's no link.
And oh wow Seymour Flux. I'm utterly fucked. Dunno how I'll get out of that one.  Edit: Auto remedy ability maybe? I think I stole some remedies from Marlboros in the Calm Lands. I still don't have a lot of X-potions though...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:05:50 AM by Fenrir »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: November 29, 2014, 03:04:24 AM »
Yeah, on Expert Grid, Flare is actually on Rikku's grid.  I know this because I just got Flare with Auron who has been going down Rikku's grid my game.  Holy is still on Yuna's but hidden behind some locks now, with Full-life now being on her grid instead of Rikku's.  Ultima is now actually on Lulu's grid as well; I'd say go for that but you probably don't have the Level 4 key Spheres to get it.

Expert Grid is built very much around the idea of flexibility with movesets in any event, less on the original mindset of the Sphere Grid of "everyone has a role and a skillset, and they're going to be stuck with that for a while!" with some leniency factors.  Expert, by contrast, you'll note has a lot of branching pathes that lead into someone else's grid without any key spheres (or if a Key Sphere si involved, often a low level one).  Even ignoring the "everyone has access to Kimhari!"; the way I've been building Rikku alone seeing as she's been basically jumping around the grid where I feel like, provided she's not outright following another character.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: November 29, 2014, 03:55:48 AM »
Captain K, are you crazy, this sounds like the worst game for solos. You have almost no options and have to rely on the RNG Gods all the time. And how do you get past Bloodbane anyway? This is B ending only?

I've completed solo games with Valk, Lawfer, and Jelanda.  Think I was level 37-ish with Jelanda beating Bloodbane.  Be sure to check the end of my FAQ if you decide to do Valk solo though, there's some weird glitches with only her in the party.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: November 29, 2014, 04:04:59 AM »
Man FFX is not really a good game

keychainspheres.

level 2 annoyingspheres. Yep.

Seymour Nachos went "Cool, you have Stoneward... But do you have Stoneproof?" and of course I died. Jesus Christ FFX.

I then averted my eyes from the Tidus sex

I'm really glad I bought that Initiative weapon for Oh fuck! so he could triplecast "Failing to run away" at the start of every battle.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Fenrir that by this point you could talk about basically any video game and I'd read your commentary about it.

Breath of Death 7:

Interesting take on the NES Dragon Quest formula. Started on Hard Mode because I'm a cheeky little bugger.

It brings a couple things to the table here. First, enemies get stronger each round of battle, so you really need to finish battles quickly. Second, HP regens to full at the end of each fight, but how much MP you regenerate is based on how quickly you end the battle. Third, and perhaps most infuriatingly, each level up you must pick between one of two level up options. Sometimes, this is between making your status attack low-percentage MT, or high-percentage ST. Sometimes, it's choosing between number of hits vs. base damage, sometimes it's between which stats you want to level up. Sometimes it's between two things that are so completely different that it changes how that character acts in future fights permanently. I actually quite like the system, but going in blind it is VERY easy to lock yourself into an unwinnable situation. I've had to restart twice (fortunately the second time around is quick) to change skill choices just to be able to beat an area... only to get locked into another unwinnable situation in the next dungeon because of poor skill path choices.

Now, I was playing Hard, which I imagine you're only supposed to play once you have a build figured out, sure. The issue is that playing normal is BOOOOOOORING and none of your choices actually matter because you can just mash attack on all your characters and win, so you don't actually have an accurate feel for what skills you're going to need when the enemies can actually kick your ass.

I'll probably restart again, breeze through normal and put it up. Grinding on hard is too frustrating, and maybe the endgame will make me have to pay attention more. Lots of interesting concepts largely wasted because there's no middle option between Normal and Hard modes.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:13:11 AM by Makkotah »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: November 29, 2014, 06:02:25 PM »
Yeah, on Expert Grid, Flare is actually on Rikku's grid.  I know this because I just got Flare with Auron who has been going down Rikku's grid my game.  Holy is still on Yuna's but hidden behind some locks now, with Full-life now being on her grid instead of Rikku's.  Ultima is now actually on Lulu's grid as well; I'd say go for that but you probably don't have the Level 4 key Spheres to get it.

Expert Grid is built very much around the idea of flexibility with movesets in any event, less on the original mindset of the Sphere Grid of "everyone has a role and a skillset, and they're going to be stuck with that for a while!" with some leniency factors.  Expert, by contrast, you'll note has a lot of branching pathes that lead into someone else's grid without any key spheres (or if a Key Sphere si involved, often a low level one).  Even ignoring the "everyone has access to Kimhari!"; the way I've been building Rikku alone seeing as she's been basically jumping around the grid where I feel like, provided she's not outright following another character.

Ultima would have been pretty cool but I already teleported away!
Doublecasting -gas is already pretty awesome though.

Captain K, are you crazy, this sounds like the worst game for solos. You have almost no options and have to rely on the RNG Gods all the time. And how do you get past Bloodbane anyway? This is B ending only?

I've completed solo games with Valk, Lawfer, and Jelanda.  Think I was level 37-ish with Jelanda beating Bloodbane.  Be sure to check the end of my FAQ if you decide to do Valk solo though, there's some weird glitches with only her in the party.

What's your secret Captain.

Zenny you don't really have to change what I wrote, I still see FFX as pretty eeeeh.

I mean I considered it as "that good game I don't like because Tidus", but now I just find the game below average (And Tidus maybe not that bad. Just repulsive / cringe worthy)

The game just wastes so much of your time.  I've talked about the super long unskippable cutscenes and slow pace in battle, but man, I should also mention the super simple puzzles stretched out to eternity so they take an half hour each. That Tetris pieces puzzle before Spectral Keeper. The conveyor beltish thing below Bevelle. Why.
Man you are never interrupted by a one hour long crossword puzzle playing FF5. (A crossword puzzle where you have to move across the map to select each letter, to make it extra slow)
Amazingly on Mt Gagazet there's an actual "Fit the right peg into the right hole" puzzle. It is pretty short. But, like, really?

The story had potential for some melodrama. Zelda Link's Awakening did it better though. And bad cinematography ruins the cutscenes (The camera really likes to wobble around, there are too many extreme closeups on faces. There's SeizureCam in the pre-Yunalesca battle) There's also too much fanservice in a franchise that usually doesn't rely on it. (There's Tifa and Shiva and that's it)

Really cool battles though. CTB is such an improvement over ATB.

Seymour Flux? I stole a few remedies from Marlboros and made that awesome auto ability that automatically cures status effects whenever you get hit. Unfortunately Hi-potions weren't cutting it anymore at all. So with those super fire gems I stole from 'nades on Mt Gagazet, I also added Absorb Fire to the previously mentioned so I could heal to full by throwing giant fireballes at myself. Doublecast Giant fireballs on Yattaf + Giant fireballs on the enemy = Pretty sweet.
I also bought a staff with +15% magic damage and Magic Booster and added First Strike to it.
Flux was still a big jerk with Reflect and high damage and whatnot. Fortunately he's vulnerable to poizn and Overdrive ignores reflect. So. I just kinda waited for his demise from the sidelines, eating an healthy diet of magma, throwing one Overdrive every few turns.

Sanctuary Keeper: Lrn2dispel bro
Properly buffed Yattaf was hasted, evaded all his evadable attacks 100% of the time and could do 10000 damage with Doublecast -gas.
I still had to use an ether, because I ran out of shit.

Spectral Keeper: Spent the battle putting mines on Oh fuck!'s corpse. GG.
Fury was a noteworthy problem. But, thank god, Furyward was enough to be entirely immune to this effect in that battle. (because I have no idea how to make Furyproof)

Yunalesca: ffffffffffffff
This battle can go relatively smoothly but Curage on Zombie Yattaf is instant death.
My plan is stealing some trinkets from the zombies in Zanarkand to get zombie immunity. Then add ID immunity. Not sure if that will be enough... I have no accessory with three empty slots, so I can't have Absorb Fire on top of all that. This sucks.
Edit: Yeah it was easy. She stops using Absorb alltogether after her first phase right? She had no damage anymore and always made sure I had Regen on. Nice.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 06:31:16 PM by Fenrir »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2707 on: November 29, 2014, 06:35:43 PM »
Sounds like your experience with FFX was like mine when I replayed Parasite Eve.

Anyway, you know what's a pretty good game so far?  Dragon Age 3.  They took the one good thing from 2 (Varric) and basically jettisoned the rest.  The tactical camera is back, bitches.  Unlike other entries in the series (or recent BW games in general), the maps are also fucking huge.  I'm six hours in and I've spent almost all of it on the first major map.  It includes the village of Redcliffe from the first game, which is cool. It's a tiny corner of a huge fucking map that is absolutely packed with missions and fights and small dungeons and such.

They let you play as the Qunari this time, so obviously I did that because what would make a bunch of Christian analogies more uncomfortable than their chosen one being a foreigner with weird gods?  Fucking nothing, bro.  So I gave him the coolest horns I could find and named him Freakzilla after the [url =http://youtu.be/UqT0quOMMBU]most eloquent man I could think of[/url].  The game actually acknowledges this and gives you the chance to role-play with it some, letting you decide if your character is open to the idea of their god or if you wanna shut it down or try and deflect people away from that line of questioning all the time.  Reminds me of Arcanum, though I'm sure you are actually the chosen one this time.

Looking forward to being racist against elves some more.  They let me import all the shitty things I've done to every elf settlement I've come across so if there's not another opportunity to side with werewolves against them or turn them over to the Man I'm gonna be bummed.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: November 29, 2014, 09:28:42 PM »
Bayonetta Wii U: Completed!  I got the accessory that makes enemies enraged and used that not knowing what it does and the tower climb kind of went crazy...but hey, lot's of combo points at least!

Fun game still, but a number of things stand out more now that I've played the sequel, which either removed a lot of them, or adjusted them to be less annoying.  Here's a quick run down!

-Losing Magic when hit.  This is obnoxious as very few games have you lose super gauge when hit, and Bayonetta's is even already more limited.  Bayo 2 removing that, while making the game easier, just makes it feel more conventional, in a way that benefits it.

-Quick Time Events.  Pretty much all gone outside of "Mash for Bonus Points" which are fine.  You won't find yourself dying for not pressing X fast enough.  I actually died to Jeanne 4 because of that stupid mid-battle QTE where you have to dodge a missile for the next phase.

-Gimmick sections.  I actually like the Motorcycle but it overstays it's welcome; Bayo 2 has a similar segment but you are a little more varied and the segment is way shorter.  Space Harrier returns as well, but is much shorter and way better handled due to more options and NO MORE SCREEN SPINNING.  Speaking of this, it is better in the Wii U version because it seems to control better but still has the "TOO LONG" problem.  The new stuff like Flying sections are actually cool because it feels like an extension of main gameplay as opposed to a complete change.

So basically, Bayo 2 can be summed up as Bayo 1 with the few kinks the game had banged out.  The one thing Bayo 1 seems to have an edge on Bayo 2 is it's definitely a harder game, so if you want a more challenging game on your first playthroguh, Bayo 1 is better for it!  Bayo 2 is better in just about every other way.  Oh, Bayo 2 also lacks Angel Attack, I FEEL EMPTY FINISHING CHAPTERS WITHOUT "Ladies and Gentlemen, it's the moment you've been waiting for: ANGEL ATTACK!!!"

Yeah, that's why I haven't really did a formal review of Bayo 2; it's basically "take the first game, make it better" and go from there.  Considering how good the first game was, that should give you an idea of how high my opinion of the sequel is!

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: November 30, 2014, 01:55:30 AM »
I'm recording this mostly for Super's edification:

Was on PSN and someone on the friend list suggests a round of Harmony of Despair. After repeated failures due to non-Cid people dying in skeleton form, we call it a day. Afterwards, presumably because I'm a masochist, I decide to find out exactly how incapable Maria is of dealing with Astarte. Damages done on hard mode:

Ice dragon: 17 damage. (This, sadly, is in practice the big gun.)
Firebird: 13 damage. (Might hit twice if she's airborne?!)
Lightning kitty: 15ish I think?
La la la, la la la la la: 90 damage per note (holy or strike type after all, apparently) but you can't use this because it keeps you immobile and you'll get tornadoed for trying.
Bird tossin': 5 damage. (!!!)

All skills rank 8, for reference. Guardian Knuckle might not fail, but I couldn't remember the controls.

After ten minutes of dodging and tossing birds I finally fucked up and died.

Maria!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:58:20 AM by El Cideon »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: November 30, 2014, 02:58:53 AM »
BTW Zenny, in later Zeboyd games (Penny Arcade 3/4) you also have to make this kind of decision with huge consequences, but can't even grind at all ever.

FFX the Yattafing:

I finished this, so I might as well post.

I've realized that true FFX soloers restrict themselves to their character's own sphere grids, so, in not doing that, I am basically a dirty gaijin peasant casual. But since I know basically jack about FFX I think that was pretty fair; true soloers know that you HAVE to farm cactuar needles in the thunder plain to forge Citanstrike into their weapons. And I don't.

Anyway after Yunalesca, I captured a few monsters from the early areas before I got bored. The Monster Arena guy gave me a few items for it, and I could forge "All spells now cost 1MP" on that spare "Magic Boost + 15% magic damage" weapon I had around. It was wonderful.

Sin boss battle: Giant whale basically just spent all his turns waiting.

Inside Sin: At this point I had gotten a few Return spheres, so I just returned near Ultima.
And I needed 22 more levels to learn Ultima.

You know, in FFX-2, you go multiple times through the exact same areas you go through only once in FFX, plus some other areas.
I was wondering why FFX-2 didn't feel super combat-heavy compared to FFX, considering that? Well the reason is that FFX has a totally super crazy, Tales of Phantasiaesque encounter rate. I got 20 of the levels I needed out of 22 in the one screen right before Seymour Omnis.

Seymour Omnis: I came with that Fire Absorb accessory, so lol. His Ultima did like 1500 Damage? Poor guy didn't even get the time to switch elements, but I had a Ice/Lightning/Water proof accessory waiting so he wouldn't even have been able to do anything..
He had the best music though.

So anyway I got Ultima right after. Then, in every random battle, I sang along with the battle theme "Dou-ble-cast-Ul-ti-maaa, Dou-ble-cast-Ul-ti-maaaaaaaaaaaa" It was the best part of the game.

BFA, BFF:
Quite overwhelming. Real strategy talk here.
Defeats included:
- Petrification -> Instant loss. For the next battles I equipped a Stoneproof accessory, so I couldn't heal with fire anymore at this point.
- Jecht's attack inflicts a strong delay, I had low Hps and only one turn before he could act again: I decided to heal with a potion. One of the pagodas then got a turn and decided to inflict a bunch of status, I'm screwed.
- Same as before except I killed the pagoda with Ultima instead of healing. Then Jecht used another big attack with Delay, and the other padoga resurrected. I was in the same situation as before with even less HPs. Dead.

I grinded a bit in case enemies in the area dropped cool items; and I noticed that those stone monsters in the final dungeon actually have the grenades I needed to customize Stoneproof. So I added Stoneproof and Fire Absorb on the same ring. -> I could heal and kill Pagodas on the same turn. This was all I needed to win the battle, but I also slapped an extra +30% HP on top of it.

And that's it.

Three things about the rest:
- Why do all the characters become asian in FMVs?
- I named Shiva FemCielo. I really like that nickname. It fits very well while also super insulting to her.
- I googled "Yu Yevon cosplay", figuring, there are so many Yuna cosplays, there can be ONE Yu Yevon cosplay right? But nope, no results. :|

Edit: Oh wow though, Seymour cosplay. That hair.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 03:04:54 AM by Fenrir »

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: November 30, 2014, 02:59:47 AM »
Breath of Fire 3: Been doing a magic no physical attacks playthrough. Just got through the first adult dungeon. As you might expect, Nina is MVP. It was pretty rough going until I beat Stallion (who wasn't too bad Garr used items, while Nina and Ryu plinked away on offense). At that point Momo had already learned Quake and Mygas gave us Typhoon and Magic Ball to pass around.

As a whole, Momo has been kind of underwhelming. I have to run away a lot to convserve MP, and as a result Momo didn't learn quake till around the tournament arc (which she never got the chance to use). Everything in the Lighthouse is immune to Quake aside from the boss so she wasn't great there either.

As you might expect, Nina is pretty good. She was essential in the first couple non Teepo dungeons, and even after that she beat the Dodai's one on one and wrecked the lighthouse. Iceblast was about as good as you would expect in the Volcano too. It'll be interesting if she can keep up her dominance in the second half of the game.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: November 30, 2014, 03:26:08 AM »
Nice work, Fenrir. Also I didn't think OwnSphereGrid Lulu could reasonably beat BFA (it's possible the FFX challenge community has figured out a way in the last ten years), so no shame there.

I got 20 of the levels I needed out of 22 in the one screen right before Seymour Omnis.

In fairness that "one screen" is a monster, half the final dungeon (there is only one other screen with random encounters, and it's smaller if anything). You also get pretty much one level per battle there IIRC (less if you don't overkill but more if you do, I want to say?), even at the Exp-per-sphere-level cap.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: November 30, 2014, 03:41:26 AM »
The Lulu solo faq is OwnSphereGrid actually so yep.
It suggests doing some minigames though, for items like an Auto-Haste bangle. (And I personnally didn't want to bother with that)

In fact even the Auron only guide is OSG too.
It says "Go grind for 30 hours to beat Sinspawn Gui" hahahah

Yeah that screen is pretty huge. Not that much if you remove random battles though. I got slightly bit more than half a level from your average random there. I ran away from King Behemoth and Ahriman x 3, killed every other enemy formation.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 03:50:26 AM by Fenrir »

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: November 30, 2014, 04:34:25 AM »
The FFX puzzles (at least the Fayth ones) are supposed to simulate the difficulty of fulfilling the trials. So yeah, probably annoying on later playthroughs, but I thought they were excellently done the first time around (compared to BD, and that horrible buttonmashing at the crystals which I'm betting was intended to be the same thing).

BD- Beaten. Overall, super excellent game. Hard boss fights, interesting classes, well balanced overall. This is the type of game that Square hasn't made for a decade for the most part, and it's why their brand suffered. More of this please and less of everything that went into FF 15's design strategy or endlessly rechurning the same game out.
...into the nightfall.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: November 30, 2014, 05:28:51 AM »
Hyrule Warriors - Finally kicked the shit out of Ganon and beat the entire Adventure Mode map, which is like 128 squares! It was most glorious. I still need to collect Gold Skulltulas for these maps if I decide that's worth it, and of course my foolish fool self bought the entire DLC Season Pass, so they keep giving me new maps and content. I got Twili Midna with the most recent DLC. She is utterly overpowered vs. randoms and minibosses, between her Strong attack that just wrecks a giant area around her and her YYYX / C4 that is a giant freaking laser beam of doom. (The game has four major type of enemies; randoms, minibosses, plot bosses, and giant bosses. generally characters are better or worse against the different types.) I also tried out the Dominion Rod, which is a decent weapon, certainly, but not as ridiculous as Twili Midna. Anyway, now I've started on the Master Quest, mostly working toward getting villain weapons and goth outfits for the characters. Important goals.

Super Mario 3D World - Got to World 7, also known as Castle World. Went through a hilarious blue lava map that took two continues for me to beat. Definitely a pretty challenging game compared to SM3DL as well as the newer NSMB. I've been mostly playing as Peach because she floats and wears pink.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2716 on: November 30, 2014, 11:31:17 AM »
Settle It In SMASH!!-  The unlocking dance is complete.  Did up to Game and Watch just by doing Smashes, then unlocked all the stages which due to shared requirements also meant I got the last character and the last map at the same time (because Cruel Smash is still Cruel Smash).  Hurray, now I can play because I feel like playing instead of being compelled to get the things first.

Largely just been playing as Lucina, since Marth has long been one of my guys and Lucina is basically Marth except awesome.  Although it seems to me that giving her marth's moveset except having Aether instead of Dolphin Slash would have made more sense.  Oh well.  Casual experimentation suggests that I could probably do well as Greninja too.  Shulk seems straightforward too.  Robin I like but is definitely not a character for someone bad at the game like myself.  Haven't really tried any other newcomers.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2717 on: November 30, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »
BD- This is the type of game that Square hasn't made for a decade for the most part, and it's why their brand suffered. More of this please and less of everything that went into FF 15's design strategy or endlessly rechurning the same game out.

I feel compelled to mention that Final Fantasy Dimensions is more recent than a decade and has a lot of BD's design philosophy (though not quite up to its level, it's still pretty solid). I also hear it's getting a sequel.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: November 30, 2014, 05:22:12 PM »
I would say I consider FFD a bit worse than BD overall, but it's still worth playing if you enjoy BD/FF5 style games. The class system in FFD is a bit less robust and the its cast is quite a bit weaker. It doesn't end with a whimper like BD does though so that's a plus.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: November 30, 2014, 09:17:09 PM »
BD's final chapters completely sunk it for me, but at least it was a step in the right direction for Square. I don't think they've made a game that's hit on gameplay and story for me since the P2 era and BD at least hit the right notes at parts on both.

Ciddy: Notes are holy elemental, Guardian Knuckle is holy elemental as well IIRC (Good fucking luck using that against bosses though)
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: December 01, 2014, 02:37:25 AM »
Up to the Elite Four in Alpha Sapphire. Thoughts on some minor stuff:

-The surfing Ace Trainers are a nice touch, they made the Water routes something like 60-70% Water types instead of 99% like usual. I still would've liked even more variety, considering how many Water routes there are in this game.

-The encounter rate in water is actually pretty low in this game, so repels aren't necessary to make the last third of the game bearable for once.

-Being able to Fly/Soar to anywhere instead of just towns+Pokemon League+Victory Road entrance sometimes is a really nice change, one that hopefully carries over to future games.

-Mega evolutions cancelling Pokemon-Amie benefits is kinda interesting as a gameplay mechanic (lose out on the 1.2x exp boost, mainly) but continues to be nonsensical plotwise, where mega evolving is supposed to require a strong bond between trainer and Pokemon. In a related note the number of Megas is starting to get kinda silly.

-The facial expressions and body language on your rival and gym leaders is pretty good this time around.

-Using the Ruby/Sapphire gym lineups instead of the Emerald ones was a big mistake, IMO. Tate & Liza only having two Pokemon for the seventh gym is inexcusible.

-IGN has unintentionally made Team Magma way funnier as an enemy team than Team Aqua; sadly, I preordered AS before their review became public.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 03:05:30 AM by hinode »

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: December 01, 2014, 06:38:20 AM »
Oh yeah, FFD existed, but then it basically completely invalidated because iOS only games might as well be a poke in the eye for most consumers (Hopefully they were smart enough to fix this, but knowing Square probably not).
...into the nightfall.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2722 on: December 01, 2014, 07:00:17 AM »
If memory serves FFD is available on android devices as well as iOS?  Buuuut yeah, it's never gotten, say, an eShop or Steam release.  For... some reason.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2723 on: December 01, 2014, 08:55:25 PM »
I don't think Square signed any kind of exclusivity deal, they're just... either lazy or not good at business, hence why so many of their games are iOS only.  Either would not surprise me.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: December 01, 2014, 10:40:31 PM »
I played FFD on my Nexus 7, so yeah, they fixed that.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.