Author Topic: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition  (Read 224415 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition
« Reply #1425 on: July 22, 2012, 03:38:31 PM »
A lot of the DLC is pointless anyway. 

The costumes are exactly what you expect them to be, so you can see how they look in the DLC menu that should be enough.
The Weapons are NOT better than stuff already in the game, despite how they have names like "Genji Bow", more just alternatives, so I wouldn't bother there either.

Sazh and Lightning DLC do help some behind the scene stuff in plot, and Lightning stuff does add to the game's ending a little bit, I guess; Sazh's stuff is just there for "hey Sazh!"

The DLC fights...well, kind of neat for extra challenges, but not overly important.  Outside of Snow's DLC; that sort of ties into the genuine plot, by wrapping up his arc in a tongue and cheek manner, but its not crucial or anything. 

So...yeah, not getting any of them shouldn't hurt the game too much.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: July 22, 2012, 06:12:26 PM »
Dark Souls: Had the urging need to play again ever since I heard of the Prepare to Die edition.  Which was actually about a month ago, but I'm lazy.  Felt like playing as Bobstein, savior of the Soul Level 1s.  Who prompty proceded to die a half-dozen times in the forest while I relearned things.  Then despite being months out of practice I manage to finally beat Pharis.  Granted last time I played was before the Patch so fighting Pharis then was without lock-on so eh.  Got my swanky new hat though!

Fudo are you actually doling a SL1 run? If so, I request deathcount.

Bobstein was originally going to be a SL1 run but I burned out while waiting for the Patch so I could target the Invisible d00ds.  Though at the very least there's I think 5 deaths from that little playing I did recently.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: July 23, 2012, 04:59:21 AM »
Grandia 2 LLG:

Eye of Valmar -

So yeah, this big guy gets an entire post. His fight took approximately an hour. I have like 4 eye witnesses to boot watching me slowly outslug it. First, skill set ups and the like. I'm going to list specifics because this is by far the hardest fight so far and tops some of the other crazy hard fights in other games. The entire fight constantly kept me on my toes, so that's pretty impressive. As a further note, 0 resets on the eye, which is of course, awesome.

Going into this fight, we have around 3.8k SC coins, and 1.5k MC coins (not counting the ones spent on Snooze). This is obviously not a lot, so RICHARD proposed the following which I agreed. For Skills, we improve on a few key skills and avoid investing any coins into techs. This results in 2 maxed HP Up skills (as discussed in chat, NEB notes that +800 HP is pretty beefy especially for LLG characters), maxed Item skill use (important AND cheap!) as well strength+30 and Agility+20. For Magic, the exact opposite; get as many spells as possible and avoid magic related skills. This gets us Burnflame (important), Diggin (important) and a few upgrades to some other spells (Heal, Stram).

Millenia equips the Chaos Egg with Burnflame (duh) and has HP Up/Agility Up as she is the most important person in the fight. Ryudo gets nothing. Roan gets HP Up as he is frail (and for whatever reason, the most commonly picked target during the fight) and Mareg gets Skilled Item Use and Strength Up. With all that set, we're ready.

The Eye really is a huge step up from the last Valmar boss, even on a normal game. In a LLG, aside from being a pest in adding status, he also has lots of GT damage and Crackle, which deals massive amounts of damage (500 or so). The HP Up characters can afford to take a hit, but Ryudo can't (610 HP max) and Mareg is 2HKO'd by it, so it is nasty. However, more nasty than that, the eyeball bats are back. With 4 of them attacking, they can easily lock down targets on the turn gauge and delta burst still exists. Crap.

The strat is as follows: Eyeball bats have to die ASAP. To do so, Sleep is used to put as many things out of commission at once. The success rate is decent, but the main Eye and the left tendril can't be slept. 5 Diggins also needs to be cast to prevent characters from being near KO'd by everything. Preferably, this can be done after a large majority of things are asleep, but it's not always possible. With Diggin up and sleep floating around, slowly Burnflame things and throw lots of bombs at targets to knock them out. Millenia uses Fallen Wings once and then a second time when she gets pissed, so that extra damage helped. Once 3 bats are out of the way, we gunned straight for the eye. On reflection, RICHARD suggests we probably need to take out one of the tendrils and I agree. The amount of status they fling out can make things go out of control and at one point, I have a confused Ryudo, SBE'd Roan and an asleep Mareg which was incredibly dangerous despite the reduced number of targets. Eventually, after a long slog, the left tendrils fall, leaving us with only the main eye and the right tendril. However, I'm also in bad shape, running low on MP and items. I spend multiple turns replenishing Ryudo and Millenia's MP for healing, sleep and damage. A final push with 3 bomb users drops it though and we are victorious with no deaths. Whew.

Levels at the end of this: 18, 18, 17, 19 (Ryudo, Millenia, Roan, Mareg). Yep, Claw is next with a 20 level disadvantage or so.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: July 23, 2012, 05:05:44 AM »
Since in some form of irony that post about deaths got my prepare to die blood pumping a bit more.

Bobstein Deaths Chart The Yesterday or Two Days Ago Version.

Cleric Gang-Beating
Probably murdered again
Died again?  Probably.
SURPRISE! Ent attack
Pharis Slash Frenzy

We'll start this count at 12!  Because I know I died a bunch back in December or whenever.

Now for Today/Yesterday Deaths!

13: Getting greedy with the Stone Soldiers and Ents.
14: Capra Demon being a fatass stopped the dogs from running up the stairs until after he attacked and wiped out most of my stam.
15: Capra Demon and dogs being terrible assholes and not even letting me up to the stairs.  Bye bye 4 humanity and 27k souls.

Random Notes of the Day
-Stone Soldiers are hilariously weak to blunt weapons.  I was two-shotting them with the Reinforced Club+5 being two-handed.  A lot faster than the minute long brawl with the Drake Sword.
-My first boss kill was the Moonlight Butterfly.  Yayyyyyyy.
-Second was the Capra Demon.  YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
-Randomly placed my summon sign and got summoned for the Taurous Demon.  TWICE!  Still haven't beaten him in my game.
-Rescued Pyromancer, can make my hand all super-burning now!
-I Can actually retain fast roll with Elite Knight's Leggings.

Current Goals
-Get More Reinforced Clubs.
-Get better at Parrying.
-See how many Shields are better than Hollow Soldier's now.
-Farm stuff.
-Probably go laugh at Pinwheel.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: July 23, 2012, 10:57:41 AM »
How can you skip Taurus Demon? I thought going past him was required to reach Undead Parish the first time.

Also greatclub is best. Nothing like smashing people with a weapon bigger than you are.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: July 23, 2012, 05:05:50 PM »
Fire Emblem 9: Challenge has become somewhat brutal, actually. C26, the one with Bertram as the boss, starts off with army of enemies rushing the team. Since I generally set up defensively on stages without time limits (and most of the ones with!), I instantly did this again, but always had someone die - Shinon, Rhys, Boyd, Gatrie, Ulki, Muarim, Elincia, Kieran, Jill, Zihark and Makalov all died during this. Next try, I send forward a select few units, keep my mounted units at a short distance so they can go in, attack, and then flee, and leave the rest in a corner out of reach. However, as soon as the cavalry come in, they attack the mounted support unit and people die. Now? My current strategy is to solo the stage with Ike, basically. Rhys/Tormod have long-range spells, so they can pick off anyone who gets past Ike's range, and I can pick up a Silver Sword along the way to help with weapon charges. The main issue I have here is getting the party to survive and give Ike a weapon after he runs out of charges, which is how Muarim died on the last attempt.

Currently trying this as the easy challenge, with the harder one being...
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne: LLG! Yes I'm quite probably insane to try this. Just beat Specter, who actually took a few attempts, and have only done one optional fight so far (right at the start, where the first encounters in the game are, I took a detour for a treasure chest and fought the Will O' Wisp that appeared.) I'm keeping a -very- detailed log of things, but to summarise.. Main character is currently Lv 8, recruiting demons is incredibly difficult, I have a High Pixie, thanks to the Specter fight, Magatama purchases are based on whether I'll actually learn anything from them any time soon (bought Shiranui and not Iyomante because Shiranui gives Fire Breath at Lv 9, Iyomante doesn't give Sukunda until Lv 13), and I am absolutely dreading Matador.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: July 23, 2012, 08:05:11 PM »
Congrats for the Eye of Valmar.
A pure Nocturne LLG has already been done before. (Matador at level 8. Ouch.)
Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgCmfxl3NNc
(We are inferior)

ME3, Insane Vanguard: Doing the geth stuff. There's not much more place left on the party screen, so I guess I have my total 6 characters. I'm... a bit disappointed. I loved ME2's cast. I definitely think this game is inferior now, though I can't really tell why. I know the ME2 Overlord music played during some ME3 mission that was so boring compared to Overlord that it felt like a disgrace. Like Hoshigami using the FFT track Apoplexy.

The final choice on Tuchanka was extremely hard, probably the hardest in a game so far. I know there will be no consequences in this game, but it doesn't really matter; they're easy to foresee. I'm impressed by the closure given to some topics started a few years ago in ME1.

It's amusing how easy insane mode has become with a vanguard. (I still die sometimes) Multiplayer on gold is substentially harder. This shows well the schizophrenia between the RPG singleplayer part of the game (RPG being the easiest videogame genre in general), and the multiplayer Gears of wars like mode.
I find multiplayer unlocks less bad as before, you just have to not want a single particular thing, and be happy with whatever you get. OR YOU WILL GO CRAZY.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 09:26:44 PM by Fenrir »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: July 24, 2012, 01:02:46 AM »
How can you skip Taurus Demon? I thought going past him was required to reach Undead Parish the first time.

Also greatclub is best. Nothing like smashing people with a weapon bigger than you are.

Master Key allows you to go down to Havel and backroute yourself into the Parish through Darkroot.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: July 24, 2012, 02:21:07 AM »
Graces: F arc is done. Beat it at L80. Final boss was a massive pain in the ass, but it's done!

Some F arc/general plot thoughts:

Props for the game not using death as an easy escape. Even both final bosses live through the confrontation. The only characters who die are Cedric (executed by Richard) and Kurt. 

I really liked f arc. Lambda of all people got fleshed out quite nicely, and Sophie also benefited from it as well. She grappled a lot with her own lack of mortality, which was a nice contrast to the otherwise lighthearted story arc.  I loved Richard in the main party. He makes a great foil for Malik and bounces very well off Hubert too.  Malik and Richard's trolling is fucking hilarious. Asbel is more or less relegated to the straight man for this arc.  Hubert confessing to Pascal was *painful*, since you could tell that she totally got the gist of what he really meant. Nice scene though.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:40:56 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Niji

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: July 24, 2012, 03:07:35 AM »
RPG Maker VX Ace

Made 2 custom sprites(in game character generator is pretty good; really boss hairstyles lol!)
1 custom class
Quite a few skills and an animation tweak.
And tooled around with all the settings for awhile.

This game is gonna be sick.

Verdict on map editing: I HATE THIS SHIT OMG so tedius lol, nah its super fun but man i suck at setting up god damn battle events!
2D/2.5D RPGs, Platformers, Action-RPGs, Brawlers are my bag! Minor Video Game knowledge outside of those!

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: July 25, 2012, 12:20:43 PM »
Dark Souls, legacy of the SL1 Bobstein.

16: Backstabbed by Forest guy.
17. The Black Knight who guarded the Peculiar Doll didn't take kindly to my actions.
18. Skeleton shiskabob 1.
19. Cowardly necromancer ran from Divine Judgement.  Right into trap.  Skeleton shiskabob 2.
20. Did you know that the skeletons can parry/riposte?  You do now!  Shiskabob 3.
21. Titanite Demon gets all up in my face.  Then my face is smeared across three rooms.
22. It's not the fall that kills you, it's the skeleton shiskabob at the bottom 4.
23. Titanite gets me by the skin of my teeth.  My teeth and skin meanwhile end up reaching orbit.
24. Wheel Skeleton testing ground the first.
25. Black Knight SURPRISE!  Sayonara 5 humanity and 30k souls.
26.  Pinwheel.  Wait what, how the fuck does anybody die to Pinwheel?  Dammit this whole run must be another drug-addled fever-dream.
27. The only thing worse than a skeleton is one with a necromancer with three more skeletons nearby.  Shiskabob 5.
28. Wheel skeleton roadkill 2.

-At this point Pinwheel dies and I get Father Mask, which was actually what I wanted.  Since I actually got a Skull lantern from one of the Necromancers I decide to brave the Tomb of the Giants and rescue Rhea.

29.  Vince and Nico are actually pretty big bastards when you have no health/stamina/armor/poise/stability.
30. Like, BIG bastards.
31. Huge even.
32. FUCKHUGE totally.
33. Make Mount Everest look like an ant.
34. I kindled the bonfire to 20 to deal with them.
35. And at this point it was also to deal with the four skeleton towers that took one life away.
36. And I still died--
37. --a lot to those two.
38. Finally I said screw it to light armor and threw on my Stone.  I got close, very close...
39. AND DID IT!  YAYYYYYYY RHEA!  39?  Oh, dying to the bloody giant skeleton archer arrows of all the stupid things.

General Purpose Notes
-Fire Club rocks.  Divine Club sucks.  Magic club is in the middle.  Dividing damage also makes the Divine and Magic clubs worse than the Club+5 against the basic skeletons somehow.
-Pyro Hand is at +10.  Yayyyyyyyyy.  Still less useful than fire club.
-Current armor is Father Mask/Black Leather/Elite Knight's Gauntlets/Stone Leggings.  LOGIC!
-Havel still hurts even with the decent equipment.
-Got Gravelord because why not.  Sword Dance is hilariously useless.

Current Goals
-Cry myself to sleep for dying to Pinwheel.  Also pray the universe doesn't explode from the impossibility of it.
-Kill the Basin Hydra and rescue Dusk because I am a knight or something.
-Become a Sunbro.
-Farm up some Green Titanite for some more firey clubbin'.
-Kill Gaping Dragon I guess.  Maybe Stray Demon if sense takes all leave of me.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:47:45 PM by Fudozukushi »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: July 25, 2012, 01:45:29 PM »
Mighty Switch Force - played through

Fairly entertaining, but a bit shorter than I expected. This is no doubt hand in hand with it being a time-attack style of game which I also didn't expect, and I'm not really a big fan of time attacks because I'm not very reflexy. That said I did replay until I beat the par times on incidents 1 through 14, at which point I got sick of doing it. Times for Incident 16 and Bonus 5 are 7:04.68 and 4:26.66 respectively.

Wario Land II VC - played through

Still great. Got 8:42 on the really final chapter which I think is fairly reasonable for not having remembered any of the tricks and playing on inferior 3ds controls. No idea what I had gotten down to back in the day when I cared about that sort of thing.

Essentially remembered where all the actually-hidden secret world entrances were, which is a mixed blessing. First played through without any doing any secret worlds because flowchartland is horrible, for all that in retrospect most of them lead to a game of the same length anyway (and consequently roughly the same amount of time banished to flowchartland).

Necromium - hit level cap

Hooray, level 33/33/33/33/33 warrior/warlock/druid/rogue/warrior avatar. At the advanced age of 666 necromium-years (I don't know how much that converts to in human years, but the only older character online currently is an 888-year old immortal, and there's a character the same level as I am which is only 25 necromium-years old... not that there are many people online these days (I'm hardly one to talk)).

Now I guess I can just let my character lapse at some point.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: July 25, 2012, 09:10:04 PM »
26.  Pinwheel.  Wait what, how the fuck does anybody die to Pinwheel?  Dammit this whole run must be another drug-addled fever-dream.

I've died to Pinwheel...once. (The only boss that's never killed me is Gaping Dragon. Well, and Priscilla because I don't fight her.)

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: July 26, 2012, 09:10:56 AM »

I've died to Pinwheel...once. (The only boss that's never killed me is Gaping Dragon. Well, and Priscilla because I don't fight her.)

Heat death of the universe is that you o'er the horizon?  The thing that absolutly pisses me off about the lose was because I had like eight Estus.  I've literally gone into the fight with half health and no Estus and won.  It's just this time he decides to fly high and summon out five clones before I even get a hit on him.  My screen is so covered in Pinwheels I can't even see me.

Moving on....

Dark SOuls, revenge of the overly-long held shift key.

40. Phantoming.  Havel decided that doing quintple damage was the in thing and took off 80% of my stamina and all of my life in one hit.
41. Phantoming. Havel again.  This time one-shotting through full stone armor.  I know being summoned boosts enemy stats but jeez what the hell this is completely boosted from last time I was being summoned.
42. Phantoming.  Invader camping the walkyway with a spear.  FUN*
43.  Phantoming.  Same jackass.  Almost kill him this time.  He only lives because he's eating on, I'm guessing, Divine Blessings to heal himself.  A LOT OF THEM.
44. Giant rat chow.  I was even in human form dammit...

I'm counting my deaths as a Phantom but not host deaths because they are wonderful marks of failure or something.  I did manage to kill one invader though.  And by me I mean the other guy with ballin' equipment who killed the invader while I distracted him.  And then the host DCed or something.

General Notes
-Fire and Magic Reinforced Clubs are both at +4.  Reinforced Club that's gonna be Lightning is at +10.
-Gaping Dragon is a lot faster than I remember.
-Trying to attack with the Spiked Shield without stats is kinda funny.
-Dusk rescued.  Hydra only hit me once.  Then I spent half an hour trying to kill its last head.
-Pyro hand at +15.
-Crown of Dusk, Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring and Pyro-hand+15 do good damage.  And yet I still love my trusty club.

Current Goals
-Be stupid and fight the Stray Demon.  Lose..... I'll say 13 humanity from being unable to recover the bloodstain.  Maybe I'll instead do something smart and kindle a bunch of bonfires first.
-Go kill Sif because I am a monster.
-Fight zombie dragon for giggles.
-Backpath into Blighttown to fight Quelaag and Ceaseless Discharge.
-Hopefully be able to squeeze in killing the Gargoyles. 

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: July 26, 2012, 05:18:52 PM »
Wild Arms XF

Up to Part 4 now. Part 3 was fairly rough... some notable battles which either drew resets or came close:

3-2-A: Clarissa and Alexia alone. This map is balanced for Alexia being able to one-shot most things but of course she couldn't for me so it was fairly easy to get overwhelmed by HP Down status from the dogs.
3-5-A: Martial Guard fight inside the Guardian Shrine. Lots of enemies with pretty decent stats. One of the usual tactics for dealing with physical swarms is Mesmerize but my evade is so low it doesn't work well. A couple resets, just mostly a matter of being careful and ensuring I'm not overwhelmed on any of multiple fronts, especially when the reinforcements appear.
3-6: First Samille/El Jackson fight in the past, the one with the Shut Out wall. This proves not as bad as I feared despite their damage; I have enough bodies. I dispel the wall and toss enemies back across to my dudes so they can beat them up.
3-7: Samille/El Jackson and the power of friendship. This one on the other hand is extremely nasty; the enemies have special defences to protect them from their weaknesses and many of them hit very hard. The two bosses + archer at the end are quite a nasty push; I end up going with Widespread Slow Down and Devastate to control them.
3-9: Status nightstalkers. Mostly deserves note for not being as bad as I expected, since this fight was hell for three people. Of course, status doesn't get any more effective against bad equipment. Would have been a much harder fight if the Royal Knights didn't hang back while I deal with the Nightstalkers, but oh well.
3-10: Asgard. This is tough, I get pretty badly wiped out the first time. Second time I use Widespread Remain and come in with more counters for Asgard such as an Extremist with Mesmerize (also successfully get Misery to land before half my party is wiped out, grr). Undead are not negligible by any means but between Exploit Weakness elements and Sanctify I have enough offence to mostly blow through them.
3-12: Unlike the previous Asgard fight this one sucks, why does he lose his support? The remaining golems are better but still not too hard to blow through with three people having Electrigger and two having wrenches.
3-13-A: Rewind fight gets a lot of my team wiped but I do successfully get Martial Mage Quickened Levin in range to Electrigger the Smoky Specimen, and make it out the rest of the way just barely. Spread Barrier's mean against my defences.
3-13-B: Weisheit is tough this time, no question, but I come ready with knowledge of how best to cheese his range, lots of aforementioned anti-golem tricks, and of course, my trump card of Widespread Remain. (Widespread Remains isn't perfect, since auto-revived PCs come back with 1 HP and an empty turn gauge, but it gets more effective the more enemies are dead, especially against a boss whose attacks come rarely such as this one.)

For classes, now that the final jobs have come out I have used a bit of High Cavalier (for the OC and for the raw HP, though the armour also helps more than usual... it boosts healing and I can use that with my non-godly magic stats), as well as Extremist (occasional evade tanking and Debilitate is nice) and of course Emulator (Electrigger and some Downhearted mostly, but in general the low MP consumption and Exploit Weakness are great). Still making extensive use of the elements of the first four jobs as well as Sacred Slayer, Strider, and Enigmancer, but nothing is new there. Using Grappler a bit more than I usually have in the past too just because the repositioning seems more valuable as my offence is more about formation arts than before (since otherwise fighters seriously struggle to hit).

Devil May Cry 4

Beaten chapter 4 (ice frog boss). I really miss Devil Trigger, why do the games keep taking this away? It may be the series' best idea. Anyway, fun enough combat besides that, I think enemy design may be the best it has been since DMC1? A bit early to say; the grunt enemy is quite bad unfortunately and right now I still fight too many of those, assuming that will change of course. Oh and the plot is taking itself kinda seriously which is lame. But yeah, I'm still enjoying it well enough.

I am also thinking of starting Shadow Hearts 3 again, been meaning to do it since beating SH2 again a few months ago and of course that game put me in the mood for the same gameplay with better battle design. I just haven't decided yet if I want to do a fairly normal playthrough or some sort of silly challenge. Fenrir, Snow, etc.: any ideas?

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: July 26, 2012, 05:37:55 PM »
SH3 challenge sounds good. You tried giving less emphasis to magic in the last replay you did, why not try that again? Alternatively, some elemental-alignment challenge, challenges limiting use of items (which break your resource management woes something fierce with the excess) and buffs (which bend bosses to their knees)... there's actually a bit of a dearth of options, but I probably need to be at home to concoct something more solid to begin with. SH3 feels like a game that would be tailor-made for something as convoluted and minutious as that VP challenge you did that may as well have been a piece of legislation. >_>

EDIT: No stock-busting challenge. Lady for eternal Bluelike.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: July 26, 2012, 06:06:09 PM »
For what its worth, Devil Trigger pops up I think at the end of Chapter 5.  I know before your next major boss, and earlier than DMC3 did.  Its also ridiculously broken on offense in this game!

And I think the reason they keep taking it away is plot.  DMC3 was called "Dante's Awakening", and in DMC4 you're playing with a whole new guy whose technically human (...with a possessed right arm.)  I'm not saying this is necessarily a GOOD reason, just trying to play devils advocate or something.

For whatever its worth, if you replay early missions after DT is unlocked, you can still use DT in those missions.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 06:09:34 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: July 26, 2012, 06:34:09 PM »
Theatrhythm - Trying to take down all the Ultimate songs without equips or abilities. I've completed FF2, FF9, FF11, and FF12 this way. Working on the others now.

FE10 - Eh, just did a playthrough. All glory to God-Aran, he who easily capped speed. Kieran is sadly really bad in the Endgame, but I used him because he's awesome. Also used a lesbian, but most of the hot chicks died. 13 deaths total because I'm not a purist.

Endless Frontier - Got some girl without boobs, which presumably will lead to hilarity(?). Need to play more.

FF8 without GF command - So far so good, just learned that Seifer has a romantic dream.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: July 26, 2012, 10:49:04 PM »
Hrm. All of Fudo's Dark Souls talk is making me want to pick it back up and actually beat it.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: July 27, 2012, 01:39:29 AM »
Hrm. All of Fudo's Dark Souls talk is making me want to pick it back up and actually beat it.

Praise be to the Reinforced Club.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: July 27, 2012, 02:23:08 AM »
Well, I was going to do so, but I seem to have encountered an issue. My disk appears to be missing. May have to search a bit to find this.

Edit: Durr. Found it. Now to remember where I was.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:35:44 AM by AndrewRogue »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: July 27, 2012, 04:16:46 AM »

I am also thinking of starting Shadow Hearts 3 again, been meaning to do it since beating SH2 again a few months ago and of course that game put me in the mood for the same gameplay with better battle design. I just haven't decided yet if I want to do a fairly normal playthrough or some sort of silly challenge. Fenrir, Snow, etc.: any ideas?
I haven't played the game since its release, I can't remember what would make a challenge fit with those mechanics. Plain simple Shania solo sounds tempting but probably doesn't work well. (might as well have Yuri solo SH2 instead)
Maybe Always pick the lowest level character at the beginning of a dungeon + Give them elements?

Penny Arcade 3, Insane mode: Went back to an earlier save, grinded a bit (for cash mostly), then beat the game.
Too bad about that one drastic difficulty spike. Just like Santa in Cthulu's angels. Zeboyd has trouble balancing the harder difficulty modes.

The addition of the Grandia battle system was kind of a waste. You can't interrupt with a regular attack (until later with a particular class), and your interrupts have diminishing results over time. What doesn't help is that Moira, the speediest character who sounds like she was made to interrupt people, was even better as the item spamming girl.
The biggest advantage over regular FFX style CTB was that you could really tell the exact speed of anyone more easily. It is actually essential in insane mode.

I can't praise the gameplay and job system enough. There's a ton of depth here, and it's all streamlined to work well with a really short RPG. (Unequipped classes still leveling up)
I used mostly:
Gabe: Crabomancer + Dinosorcerer. Use Leer, and tank with a T-Rex if I'm feeling confident, or a stegosaurus if I'm not.
Jim: Apocalypt + Gentleman. Gentleman brings much needed healing and magic. Apocalypt is one of the best source of damage until lategame.
Moira: Slacker + Cordwainer. High speed, healing, item use.
Tycho: Gardenar + Hobo. Didn't really know what to do with him, so he ended up as the supporting guy.
Eventually I replaced Apocalypt and Slacker with Diva and Delusionist. I nearly never used Masochist (Too bad), Tube Samurai (I'm not wasting one turn for this) or Elemenstor (Boooring).

Mass Effect 3: Finished.
Yes, I can understand the complaints about the ending. It's actually the exact same ending as Deus Ex Human Revolution!
I did kind of like how Asimov-ish the plot got (Note: I actually haven't finished Foundation) but the lack of consequences for the rest of the game is a serious issue. I wanted to see Krogans go on war against the entire galaxy for getting betrayed again then getting exterminated. I wanted to feel that guilt! But no, happy ending for them too.

The game's kind of impressive, and is trying to be bold and ambitious, but the countless graphical glitches during cutscenes will make it seem extremely dated in a few years (moreso than the graphics) The game wants you to be immersed, like in a good movie (Batman 3!) but that's impossible.
The lategame also suffed from being too huge, the greatest strength of this game actually being the small talk.

Endgame gave some actually though battles for my overpowered Shepard. Namely the true final one with a reaper shooting on a battlefield while fighting brutes, banshees and a ton of general grunts. That was intense.
I still died more because the game fucked up and Charge didn't work for some reason (this happens constantly. The special powers sometimes feel as accurate as a Wii waggle, which is terrible for a power that restores all your shields), than because of honest mistakes.

Diablo 3: I'm a level 15 female witch doctor, and I'm invincible.
Plot is terrible.
The best part of the game is stacking as many Exp+ items on yourself as possible in co-op gameplay, to get levels faster than whoever you're playing with.

Spelunky: I think I'm done here. My goal was unlocking that strange door with the strange hat, but I just can't reliably kill an Anubis with no weapons. He is a god and I'm a shotgun-less adventurer. This is a severly mismatched fight, and I don't want to play 15 minutes to get there every time I want to try again.
I still beat the game!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: July 27, 2012, 05:31:18 AM »
Don't expect it to last, Fenrir.  The XP-up items are okay on Normal but just don't keep up later.  +5 XP on monster kill is fine when it takes 5,000 XP to get to the next level, but +10 XP for monster kill when it costs 500,000 XP to get to the next level not so impressive.  (On the bright side, the Ruby-in-a-helmet is percentage based if you want to grind faster.)

What's your b.net ID?

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: July 27, 2012, 06:36:36 AM »
If it wouldn't be too much trouble, would you mind sticking that information in http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,6057.0.html as well?  Always good to know who plays what for easy cross-referencing.

SaGa Frontier 2 - Cheating, as I'm not actually playing this myself, but guiding a friend through it.  He just cleared the Water Tower with Richard.  Picked up No Moment, Blade Spray, and Bear Crush in duels here.

UMvC3 - Dropped Ammy to pick up Doom (Hidden Missile), and then dropped Doom to pick up Trish (Peekaboo).  Current team is Wright (Press the Witness)/Dante (Jam Session)/Trish (Peekaboo).  Attorney May Cry team? 

BBCS:EX - Got to play this with Meiousei a bit.  Apparently the only character I remember how to play even REMOTELY well is Lambda.

I feel like I should be playing other things, too.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: July 27, 2012, 11:01:44 AM »
the greatest strength of this game actually being the small talk.

I have found this to be true of every Bioware game I've played. Are people surprised at this point that they tend to fail on plot? Or were ME1&2 actually better about that?

Andy: I think Sen's Fortress was the next stop?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:06:06 AM by El Cideon »