Register

Author Topic: DL Mafia GAME OVER Scum Win  (Read 58410 times)

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
Re: DL Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2010, 05:31:29 AM »
Wow, Xanth's vote sure is getting spun a lot. The way I read it, Xanth's vote for Laggy is because Laggy voted for Alice and cited riding lurking to scum victory in the past (Meme), where Alice has also ridden lurking to town victory in the past (Cthulhu). Laggy's Alice meta (and vote reasoning), therefore, was incorrect, as super lurkiness is a proven null Alice tell.

Dislike Zenny the most out of all this for bringing IRC activity into the equation when neither Laggy nor Xanth ever mentioned it once. This reads more like sensationalism than anything else. Actually you know I think this is worth a vote. MC's done decently for herself since my last post (I feel the Xanth vote is maybe misguided but at least decent), and that's an absolutely terrible sensationalist spin to put on Xanth's reasoning.

##Unvote: metroid composite
##Vote: Zenthor/Makkotah

Not much liking either side of the Yoshi/Laggy spat too much, but Laggy looks worse for seemingly dropping most of the prior events of the day for an OMGUS, only briefly commenting on Tai's role speculation and MC Bigass Post Of Summaration and even those aren't anything special. Makes me want to give Yoshi a small pass (for the time being).

Generically unhappy with QR for reasons previously stated. Not really feeling anything strong either way on anyone else.

Splitting post here; upcoming post will discuss my thoughts on Voteless Syndrome. I didn't really want to talk about it, but everyone else seems to want to, so.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2010, 05:40:58 AM »
Wait.  Laggy never said anything about the whole IRC thing?
* Makkotah goes and does a quick re-read of Laggy's posts about Alice.

... Well, clearly I'm focusing on seeing him in IRC and not bothering to check the topic for my own good.  Well, no, I'm not, because it's a valid complaint when you see someone active in chat who hasn't even bothered checking the fucking topic all game yet.  Wrong to put those words in Xanth's mouth (could have sworn he had said something about that, but no excuse for it there, but certainly not wrong about my complaint about Alice there.  If you've got time to be dicking around in IRC you've got time to be paying even the least bit of attention to Mafia.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2010, 05:53:15 AM »
So, Noyn being voteless. I've gone down a few avenues of thought on this one, and have come up with the following.

- I do not believe Noyn's votelessness to be an active townie decision.

Reasoning for this one is simple; what townie, with literally zero information to work with, is going to take a blind anti-town action? I could see a Town Votestealer using their power a few days into the game on someone they think is scum, but just tossing it on a random person at the start of the game with absolutely nothing to go on? No. This would be a terribly anti-town move, even if you don't trust $NEWBIE to have their head on straight.

- I do not believe Noyn's votelessness to be an active scum decision.

Whoa, wait a minute! The effect had to come from somewhere, right? Yeah, I know, but bear with me.

* With no information to work with, why would scum steal the vote of a newbie? Why not Xanth or Tai or Ciato (or even me :toot:), someone they can expect will be a great danger to them? Noyn is up there as one of the worst possible blind votesteal choices in this game, because who the hell knows how he's going to play.
* Why would scum have actively stolen ANYONE'S vote last night? Why would they tip their hand now? It makes far more tactical sense to save it for later in the game, like using it to surprise town in LYLO.

So where did it come from? I see three possibilities, listed in the order I think most likely.

- It was a third party action. Who the hell knows what the third party's win condition is, and who the hell knows what else they can do, so they may not care about tipping their hand now like scum would.
- It was an unintended action performed by someone of any alignment. Basically, whoever did it didn't know they could do it. (This includes the possibility that Noyn has a role of which this is a previous unknown side effect. (And before anyone gets on my case about this statement, no, I am not trying to speculate whether or not Noyn has a role.))
- It was a predetermined game event performed by Excal. Not impossible, but impossible to really account for, and has no bearing on anyone's alignment, so not really worth thinking about.

Zenny ninja, will address it in a moment.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2010, 05:58:43 AM »
Forgot one possibility: Scum Votestealer-Attached-To-Something-Else. Still don't really believe this one, whatever that something else could be (Rolecop/Roleblocker/???) would still most likely be better served targeting Xanth/Tai/Ciato/etc.

---

Zenny: What you say about IRC activity combined with thread inactivity is true, but that doesn't really so anything to address the issue I have with you.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2010, 05:59:02 AM »
*doesn't really do anything

MULTI-

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2010, 06:05:39 AM »
Eh.  I conflated what Xanth sad about Laggy's metagaming and my own metagaming on Alice.  Xanth was referring to the Cthulhu mafia game where Alice pulled that bullshit all the time.  I have nothing else to say in my defense on that matter.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2010, 06:06:48 AM »
By "That bullshit", if it isn't clear, I mean the whole being in IRC and not posting in Mafia.

Alice

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2010, 06:39:49 AM »
Wahaha, I have perfected my MASTER PLAN(TM) to lurk through D1 (actually not, but it's a long story). Anyway, taking a look at the past couple posts, a couple things stand out. First thing that does is Laggy's comment about Scum having guts to try to cram the Rat train through: the Rat train built excessively rapidly, and, unless Excal's even more of a bastard mod than Snow is, not everyone on that wagon is going to be Scum - not to mention that quickhammers have occured here in the past - so I fail to see why it would necessitate Scum to have "guts" to try to cram such a thing through: there almost certainly are Scum on the wagon, but the train in general took surprisingly little pushing to get to the extent that it got.

I'm not actually sure what to make of that: early day 1 rapid trains are a nice way to not get someone lynched D1 as they tend to provoke that exact sort of fear of a quicklynch - yet at the same time, I'm probably reading far too much into this.

Somewhat perplexed at Zenny, as I haven't been dicking around on IRC today. But whatever, lurking is bad - and I'm not acutally sure why he's being slammed over this, that similarly makes no sense: Kilga, why are you voting Zenthor over this?

Anyway! Noyn is probably the main person to discuss today: I pretty much agree with Kilga here, I'm not sure it gives a nice swing alignment-wise. Also, because the opening post stated that such events "usually" only lasted one day does not mean that they universally will - and I'm also extremely perplexed at Laggy's behaviour: first he votes me over lurking, while complaining about the Rat train, then he backpedals stating that "oh hey maybe voting Rat to L-2 might be a good idea after all for we get useful information this way!"...um, why, how? It's Day freaking One.

The sheer amount of times that Rat's been voted, then unvoted, then revoted by others is somewhat perplexing. I am extremely weirded out by anyone voting Xanth over his Laggy case, as it's one that, um, makes a lot of sense to me? In fact I'd be voting for Laggy, but personally I feel that metroid_composite is even worse: a whole lot of reporting-style posts with a lot of words and next to no content.

##Vote: metroid_composite

Xanth

• Denizen
  • Girls go on dates on Valentine's Day?
    • View Profile
Ghost Envy Quirk
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2010, 06:57:51 AM »
Okay, haven't really read the thread properly (this is me getting up and heading to work), but will see if I can make the time at lunch. Only making a quick post now because I seem to have taken some flak for some reasons I haven't even read regarding my vote on Laggy. I think(?) that this has mostly been covered since, but this vote was overall due to jumping into LaL altogether too soon, combined with trying to make it stick too hard, in particular with selective metagame reasoning. Metagaming not always bad, but cherry picking metagaming is. I like how his response is to disregard the evidence that contradicts his evidence and falls back on 'well that doesn't matter, lurking is bad'. Oh okay.

Yeah, I know, tons has happened since. I'll catch up in either like six hours or twelve depending.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2010, 08:00:50 AM »
I will publically state that there are no scripted events.  All events that happen are due to player actions.  As well, there is no Vanilla Town, and every role has hidden information.

Now, here is a vote count.

Day 1 Votes

Alice (0): Cyril, Quietrain, [i[Metroid[/i]
Carthrat (1): Snowfire, Taishyr, Taishyr, Metroid, Snowfire, Cyril, Snowfire
Cyril (2): Ciato, Snowfire, Xanth, Yoshiken
Taishyr (0): Taishyr, Quietrain, Metroid
Xanth (2): Xanth, Metroid, Taishyr
Ciato (2): Zenny, Quietrain
MC (2): Kilga, Carthrat, Alice
Kilga (0): Taishyr, Yoshiken
Zenny (1): Taishyr, Kilga
Yoshiken (1): Cyril
Snowfire (1): Ciato
Noyn (0): Excal, Excal
Excal (0): Snowfire

No Vote: Noyn

With 13 Alive it takes 7 votes to lynch.

There are 39 hours remaining in Day 1.

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2010, 08:54:48 AM »
I see no reason to discuss Noyn shenanigans, unless someone has some truly mind-blowing insight into his scumminess (or lack thereof).

I am quite amused by Laggy choosing to target Alice for lurker-meta early (which makes no sense as Kilga described earlier) and then saying 'oh MC is always like that' and letting her slide over contentless reporting. This is pretty much the epitome of why meta fail. Laggy also kneejerk OMGUS's Yoshi after getting somewhat rightfully called out on unecessary LaL hype. I find this troubling, as Laggy had recently dropped his vote on me in apparent preparation for going over things again, yet seems to just pounce on one of the responses directly after his post.

I considered voting him but I am not really inclined to let MC off the hook presently since her vote for Xanth is quite weaksauce, little more than a clarification prod really, and I dislike her quantity of words-to-relevant-actions; Yoshiken in particular did not look like he was really flailing to me, so I do not understand how she could put so much effort into talking about how uncomfortable he makes her, yet leave him be in the end in favour of her existing case.

I do not agree at all that reporting is a weak charge against her, her posts have pretty much been nothing but that. It seems nice and helpful to post lists and summations and things, but it's pretty much just a 'here's what's happened so far list' that does not venture any strong opinions. The other parts of her post have been role speculation on Noyn, or conversation regarding to it, which is not especially helpful.

WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Alice

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2010, 10:51:55 AM »
We already have a Hitler of lurkers, so now we're going to have a Burgdorf of lurkers, a Koller of lurkers, a Schenck of lurkers...
*snicker*

Anyway, on second thought, while m_c's lack of content is still horribly disturbing, and I can't say I'm at all pleased with Laggy, this post of SnowFire's worries me incredibly. In it, we have:
Quote from: SnowFire
So.  I don't really agree with Carthrat's last post.  The part about requiring some time to pass to qualify as a lurker is self-evidently true, of course, but meh, and the "reporter" accusation is the weakest one against MC.  And that's about it as far as content.  Could be an active lurk if I squint.
- "It's self-evident, but meh"? How does that somehow invalidate his point that LAL right now is bad?
- The m_c reporting charge is weak? How so? A good amount of her posts feature a bunch of statements about what occured in the game and when, with zero opinion and analysis of them. This type of posting is worthless at doing anything beyond giving the illusion that one is contributing to discussion, i.e. it is classic tell-tale Active Lurking.
- And then he misapplies the principle behind Active Lurking on Carthrat to vote him, accompanied by a statement to the effect of "LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROY JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENKINS #VOET RAT" for no appreciably good reason. Why sure that post is going to be useless if you disregard everything in it as being useless for no good reason, really, but...your reasons for disregarding it are, quite frankly, awful.

##Unvote
##Vote: SnowFire

Taishyr

« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2010, 11:38:29 AM »
Xanth: My main balk at your actions comes from pushing Laggy over QR at that point; near-contentless "me too" lurkvote switch doesn't take priority over someone actively attempting to justify their actions? And Laggy's main point had -always- been to aim for lurkers so to attack the meta and then cheer when that falls over seems spurious. Thus my push for you: I feel you not only avoided a more obvious target (given your lines of reasoning) but that you misrepresented his case.

If you think there's a case in his stuff still, try to prove it and I'll listen through, but the attack on his meta as a "weak point" when that wasn't the main thrust of his argument (lurkering in general was) really does not ring well with me. Vote stands for now.

Kilga voting Zenthor: I appreciate going after a factual error but on the other hand you're freely going after someone for still calling out a lurker. Granted Alice in chat is a null tell, Alice is supertoro. But following this as your vote seems mistaken. And... labeling it sensationalism seems off, too: if someone's around in one area it's not terrible to expect them to at least show up in another. Still, again, Alice. Null tell (to me, at least.) So yeah this kinda all seems a mess, wanna hear Kilga's response.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2010, 02:04:01 PM »
Addressing this MC post.

Ignoring your talk of para 1/2 of mine, nothing there. Para 3: this post doesn't contain much, but it's better than the previous ones - some talk of your opinion on metagaming, a push against Xanth. This was the post I meant was better, in comparison to the two before it: this one and the summary, which contain absolutely nothing in opinion outside of saying we have nothing on Zenny/Noyn and saying Kilga takes a reasonable stance - I said it had 1-2 opinions, close enough.

Knowing someone is LAL D1 and D5 are totally different, sure. That doesn't work both ways, though. If someone is happy to LAL at the start of D1, are they going to be reluctant to on D5, assuming nothing else? I should damn well hope not.

Pressure voting being good does not contradict what I said. Pressure voting should demand content, not just any old post, and the vote should not move if the content produced is bad.
Personally, I don't give Laggy credit for things like pointing out the mod note. And sure, he's chimed in on some other arguments, but they usually amount to one sentence before going straight back to LAL (example~). Your next point asks for evidence, and I'll point to the core of my argument: he votes Rat here, Rat posts this which is essentially "MC is reporting, LAL is bad" which was fairly obvious, IMO, and then this post basically gives Rat a pass for his post, removing the vote two posts later (with the post in between containing a prod to remove it.) There is practically no comment on Rat's post other than "It is a typical Rat response" which says nothing about whether it is townie or scummy, and it just reads as an easy way to look like scumhunting while doing nothing. Also, no vote after that just makes it seem as though he has nothing outside of LAL, when there was easily enough to vote on by that point.
-----
In other news, I don't like Snowfire saying he needs to look over other cases here and then posting nothing else. Also seconding Alice on the "self-evidently true, of course, but meh" - that post is pretty horrible, and I'm.. seriously considering switching votes on that and the "more content soon!" *gone*
Agreeing with Zenny that IRC activity can and should be a point against someone, but I know I'd not seen Alice in chat, so.. hrm. Not sure what to think here, minor point against Zenny.
Still not liking QR's lack of content. We've had weak LAL votes and nothing else, looking to see some opinions from her very soon.

Alice/Kilga/Tai read best to me so far. Laggy > SnowFire > QR > Zenny/MC for worst, methinks.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2010, 02:40:34 PM »
Turbo note before leaving: Off to work and might not post again until tonight, since Yoshi at least seems to be pestering me about holding back my other thoughts or something.  Yoshi, that post was just a brief reply to Ciato, not "my entire thoughts on the game."  I did intend to post again last night but got distracted and busy by other stuff, but I'll be back tonight.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2010, 03:03:17 PM »
The problem I had with Zenny has nothing to do with whether or not chatting on IRC + not posting is a bad thing. The problem I had is that he was trying to spin Xanth's vote that way when I felt it was incredibly obvious that that was not at all what Xanth meant, given neither Xanth nor Laggy had ever said anything about IRC. Misrepresentation, if you will. I also cited sensationalism because he decided to throw his spin out in bold.

That being said, in having time to sit down and think about it and not make a quickie judgment at 1 AM, I've realized that it's not as good a vote base as I thought it was last night, especially if it was a genuine brain fart as Zenny said it was. So...

##Unvote: Zenthor/Makkotah
##Vote: Laggy

Which I probably should have done in the first place. Reasons cited previously, see this post for them as well as this Rat post for an additional/alternate explanation.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2010, 04:23:39 PM »
this post doesn't contain much, but it's better than the previous ones - some talk of your opinion on metagaming, a push against Xanth. This was the post I meant was better, in comparison to the two before it

Yes, that's exactly the post I meant too, and I stand by it having far less total content than the summary as far as I'm concerned.

If someone is happy to LAL at the start of D1, are they going to be reluctant to on D5, assuming nothing else? I should damn well hope not.

Umm...quite possibly yes?  Particularly one person on the LAL train, Quiet Rain, calls LAL the "tool of last resort" and thus probably won't push it D5.  (Not to mention, don't most people here have a decent feel for each other's playstyles by now?  "This is my playstyle" won't necessarily be new information to most people here.)

Your next point asks for evidence, and I'll point to the core of my argument: he votes Rat here, Rat posts this which is essentially "MC is reporting, LAL is bad" which was fairly obvious, IMO, and then this post basically gives Rat a pass for his post, removing the vote two posts later (with the post in between containing a prod to remove it.) There is practically no comment on Rat's post other than "It is a typical Rat response" which says nothing about whether it is townie or scummy, and it just reads as an easy way to look like scumhunting while doing nothing. Also, no vote after that just makes it seem as though he has nothing outside of LAL, when there was easily enough to vote on by that point.

Hmm...decent point, Laggy, why did you consider Rat's post content?  Rat's two sentences at that point give me the impression that Rat only skimmed my posts (calling a post a wall of text doesn't require reading)...and I also don't get the impression that he was paying much attention to who he was voting for (as evidenced by getting my gender wrong--it takes one click to check someone's profile).

And that's followed by an anti-LAL paragraph that for all I know Rat could have copy/pasted from another game.  The whole thing comes off as incredibly lazy.

Hmm...
SnowFire attack analysis

Three people are training him now; he's kinda flown low under my radar.

Ciato's analysis: Hmm...I'll agree there's not much to go on with Snowfire yet.  Snowfire's behaved pretty rationally to me so far, though (removed vote from Laggy when it was clear Laggy was "not being lazy", calls out Rat for incredible lack of content after Laggy probably incorrectly removes pressure).  Though yes, Ciato's right that this isn't much to go on.

Alice's analysis is...terrible.  Wall of text analysis on a 2-sentence attack on a 2-sentence post.  Attacks SnowFire by defending all of Rat's content, saying that there's no lurkiness about it (in the process accusing me of active lurking).  Did you just accuse me of having less content than Rat?  Seriously?  The person who had (at the time) given exactly one two-sentence opinion on a single user?

Yoshi's complaint about SnowFire promising more content last night, and not having it delivered by 6am the next day?  Silly.  (Still not feeling Yoshi=scum so much as Yoshi=unobservant, though).

And...my own thoughts on SnowFire...stuff that jumped out at me was mostly jokevote phase "L-3, abandon ship!!"->"Oh, it'd only be L-4?  That's totally different, jump back on the train!"  But that's...jokevote phase; doesn't worry me much (and L-3 is worse than L-4 to be fair).

Overall, Ciato's right to push SnowFire on content, but I don't think the content that's there is bad.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2010, 05:10:28 PM »
Umm...quite possibly yes?  Particularly one person on the LAL train, Quiet Rain, calls LAL the "tool of last resort" and thus probably won't push it D5.  (Not to mention, don't most people here have a decent feel for each other's playstyles by now?  "This is my playstyle" won't necessarily be new information to most people here.)
Not really. We still have some players who've not been around for too long (hi! Also, Noyn) and some people who don't play Mafia often (Laggy, QR). Playstyle discussion is still discussion, and is better than nothing at all (and seems to have produced a decent amount here)

Yoshi's complaint about SnowFire promising more content last night, and not having it delivered by 6am the next day?  Silly.  (Still not feeling Yoshi=scum so much as Yoshi=unobservant, though).
Because timezones do not exist and I did not just see it as "brief reply while I look at other cases" followed by 10 hours of silence. (Idly, checking SnowFire's profile, it looks like that came at 10.30pm and my post was at 8am there.) So yeah, maybe that wasn't much of anything, but the "It's a good point, but meh" still bugs me.

Judging by the last votecount we have... 29 hours remaining? And, uhm, I've still got absolutely nothing to go on with Noyn/QR as far as content goes. Wouldn't mind hearing from them again.

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2010, 05:15:18 PM »
MC: Super kindly pointed out my mistake earlier, apologies, but 'he didn't check my profile' is not really something that can possibly be held against me in a scum/town context.

I did indeed only skim content at the time, mostly owing to it being in the hazy hour before I stumble out of home for work. But upon returning I saw little to convince me I was in the wrong, particularly when inspecting your following posts. Unless you back up your analysis and summaries with votes and cases I fail to see how it can really be considered useful content. I continue to struggle to see how your vote remains on Xanth despite continued professions of distaste for many other people. My issue is that citing Xanth's supposed verbosity as a scumtell seems pretty ludicrous to me, and almost anything else would seem more credible. Yet despite apparent analysis your vote remains there.
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2010, 06:40:33 PM »
I did indeed only skim content at the time

Okay, glad we're in agreement then.  So essentially, "Carthrat really was low content yesterday", which makes SnowFire look better, and Laggy look worse.

I continue to struggle to see how your vote remains on Xanth despite continued professions of distaste for many other people.

I'm okay with my vote on Xanth for the time being, though for different reasons.  Rereading...Xanth's sum content is a verbose playstyle argument, and a defence of said verbose playstyle argument, and a vote on Laggy based on playstyle arguments.  Basically, nothing I can work with; I don't really want to let low-content off the hook the moment I see "ooh, weak logic! Squish it!"

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Manticore Exile Honeymoon
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2010, 06:44:53 PM »
Right, I'm back home and should have the time for something decent enough. Before I get to that, though:

lol, metroid, just lol. That's bad and you should feel bad about it.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2010, 06:59:49 PM »
Well, ran home to do the lunch posty thing.

Carthrat, re MC reporting charge: Well, see the discussion about Cranbud / Peyton Hadley 's posts in Day 1 of Cthulu Mafia.  Reporting is bad if it is hiding not having an opinion on anything.  I feel that I have an idea of where MC stands on people and there's a paper trail to hold against her if there's any whipsaw position changes.

Alice: Um. 
- "It's self-evident, but meh"? How does that somehow invalidate his point that LAL right now is bad?

What was self-evident was "lurkers only become lurkers after enough time has passed without a post."  How legitimate the "lurker pressure votes" were on early Day 1 is basically an issue of Mafia philosophy and something I definitely consider a null tell short of sudden convenient reverses (so it IS helpful to explain it, to be clear, and I don't fault Carthrat for posting why he opposes early LaL, though I don't entirely agree with his point.).  My charge against Carthrat was more "lurking even by Day 1 standards" + "one position of record at the time smells fishy to me, could be attempted scum smokescreen."  I realize that you're sold on the MC reporting charge, but I'm not.

Incidentally, Carth has posted more now.  So hmm. 

...and lunch break is done, argh.  Short version: Zenny / Tai / Xanth messes hurt my head.  Tempted to call it a null read and usual Day 1 shenanigans.  Would like to see more content from Ciato and Noyn, no surprises there, unsure how serious Ciato's vote against me was.  QuietRain too though it sounds like there's a strong RL reason for not being around much.  I'm not really buying the anti-Laggy case, but as noted I'm on the "kill all lurkers" side so his pressuring doesn't read badly to me, more like something to help get things going early Day 1.  Kilga reads moderately towny.

Carth...  I still disagree with you on most everything aside from "MC's Xanth vote is kind of weak" but then again Xanth hasn't posted much more to clear things up or not (Edit: And now mc & Xanth ninjas, good, maybe this will be resolved).  On the other hand you're not lurking anymore, but on the other other hand I don't want to fall into the trap of "any content is good content whee vote jumps to whoever's not around."  Honestly, tempted into a Yoshi or Alice vote here; I'm a sucker for OMGUS because I mean who would inveigh against the perfectly towny SnowFire but scum amirite.  On the other hand I think Alice & I might just disagree about the relative towniness of MC.

Ugh.  Day 1.  Indecisiveness.  Meh.  I'm really out of time now so guess I will keep the vote on Carth for now and hope that some of the other lurkers perk up some.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2010, 07:07:13 PM »
Also turbo post before I get jumped on for it: Yes, I'm aware that Kilga is voting Laggy right now and I just said they "Kilga feels town" and "Laggy does not feel as scummy as others say."  The pro-Kilga sentiment is...  on second thought, I'd rather not say why.  Call it wild speculation that might be entirely wrong so never mind, I probably shouldn't rate Kilga quite so highly myself.

And now I'm really gone.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2010, 08:11:21 PM »
Welcome one and all to the special 27 hours remain until end of day vote count!

Day 1 Votes

Alice (0): Cyril, Quietrain, [i[Metroid[/i]
Carthrat (1): Snowfire, Taishyr, Taishyr, Metroid, Snowfire, Cyril, Snowfire
Cyril (3): Ciato, Snowfire, Xanth, Yoshiken, Kilga
Taishyr (0): Taishyr, Quietrain, Metroid
Xanth (2): Xanth, Metroid, Taishyr
Ciato (2): Zenny, Quietrain
MC (1): Kilga, Carthrat, Alice
Kilga (0): Taishyr, Yoshiken
Zenny (0): Taishyr, Kilga
Yoshiken (1): Cyril
Snowfire (2): Ciato, Alice
Noyn (0): Excal, Excal
Excal (0): Snowfire

No Vote: Noyn

As always, with 13 alive (if not actively able to vote) it takes 7 votes to lynch.

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Rainbow House Type
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2010, 08:13:01 PM »
Tai: sure, I disliked QR's move and made it plain enough, but the short of it is that a terribad explanation for a bad mechanical move is worse than none at all. What part of cherry picking the metagame process (again, not simply metagaming, which it seems to have devolved to (#42, #51, #53, #54, etc.), and support in general principal) doesn't cause alarm bells to go off? Or trying so much to make an early day one case stick like that? Not to mention if we zoom out a little and see the context of "lurking is terrible! Alice has scumlurked multiple times in the past!", "What about the time Alice townlurked?", "Who cares about other games? Lurking is terrible!" and see how slipshod that hastily pasted position was. And has since climbed down more than once. Okay, Laggy boarding the flusterbus wasn't why I put my vote down, but my point is that I hold that there are worse explanations than [effectively] none at all (and let's not forget that 'apply LaL' is the first level explanation in and of itself).

Metroid: as above and other posts. My vote was (is? Still catching up) not simple game theory, and I made it nice and clear who my top two suspects were.

Actually going through the thread now...

#41: Metroid's vote on Tai is terrible, and worse based on the current rationale for voting me.

#48 Makkotah: ohnomoregametheoryfrommebut mod kills are actually usually pro-town, on account of town having a limited number of lynches and mod kills only waste 'half' a lynch apiece, and remove players that would otherwise need lynching anyway. While it's perhaps worth noting the 4th joke vote down on the same person, it's absolutely not a position to be actually worried about.

#51 (Metroid's big player action summary): very much in Rat's (#55) camp with regards to this, except more so as a convenient vehicle for misrep than it is for reporting (not to understate the reporting that is present). I count two and a half pieces of incorrect information on myself alone, and that's being generous. It's funny how these 'objective' reviews of play can gain such spin on them so easily. This is also different to day 1 Peyton in Cthulhu Mafia, as Snowfire gets around to using in defence here (#96), in that Peyton tempered the walls of text with an inclusive tl;dr summary, rather than summarising a summary of the game so far with reporting.

#55: while I'm passing by this post, I'd like to point out the position on LaL here. Much like how my 'cherry picking meta' was sliced down to 'anti-meta', my position against starting a game with LaL, which Rat has supported here, has been reduced to 'anti-LaL'. Very different things! Important and dangerous differences.

#54: QR generates some null reads and gets back on a steady diet of LaL. It's okay, though, because she comes back and... oh, no, that is in fact all so far. :sad face:

#65 (Makkotah puts words in Xanth's mouth): No. Not even close.

In fact yeah, go figure this is getting big. Time to scrap this approach and start again with bullet points for people rather than posts. Probably after dinner.

In spoilers, however: Laggy and QR remain at the top, for almost completely opposite reasons despite first getting flagged for doing the same thing. Metroid has joined them, partly for words:content, reporting and misrep, and partly for the underlying theme of vote delaying (that part much the same as QR, without the lurking). As an OMGUS accusation grows ripe (although really, I'm always hard on this stuff), I'll point out that I don't have any immediate beef with Tai, who at least appears to be parking on me due to a difference in priorities, which I can at least understand, except maybe in using Metroid's position to strengthen his own.