Author Topic: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!  (Read 129219 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!
« Reply #1075 on: May 19, 2014, 04:56:09 AM »
I know it is hard to quantify as well, but specifically RE: Phyress, I do feel the need to really hype the 90% chance of showing up on top of all the things Elfdudes are saying that.  Also from memory her competition (Ehrde) is like the worst of the archers isn't he?  Or one of the worst

That shit is kind of dumb and so very very valuable in game.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: May 19, 2014, 05:07:47 AM »
I WAS THE 10%! FUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU, VP2!!
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: May 19, 2014, 05:59:18 AM »
So was I Ciatos.  So was I.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: May 19, 2014, 01:23:59 PM »
Actually, Ehrde isn't so bad. He starts with Flame Shot (pretty much THE ur-attack for Archers), IIRC, but he has no Psychosoma, which makes learning it less intuitive. You still should get the skill party-wide somewhere around C4 at the latest, though.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: May 19, 2014, 08:32:56 PM »
It's interesting because while Phyress is clearly the best Einherjar archer, that 10% chance leads you with still a very competent Archer for the reasons Snow laid out.  He's worse, make no mistake, but arguably not worse enough to bother resetting, since he gets the important things, and you do get Psychosoma eventually anyway, so her notable advantages are short term (though arguably long standing enough that it's a big deal.)

Mind you, even with Psychosoma on Erhde, Phyress is still better, particularly because she gets Flare Blast which I believe Erhde does not, so she has better twink potential due to getting more out of Fire Boosting Seal Stone and having 3 good magic attacks instead of just 2 (both get Poison Shot I believe or whatever the Earth Elemental + Poison status one was called.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:35:38 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: May 19, 2014, 08:42:24 PM »
You should all post ratings! :)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: May 19, 2014, 09:03:16 PM »
You should all post ratings! :)

You don't have to tell me twice!

(though seriously, I purposely wait til later as it works as a late reminder that the update is coming soon...I should more regularly post "UPDATE HAPPENING SOON!" with my ratings granted...this does stifle discussion on my end with ratings and gives people less chance to refute anything, and I could just post a 2nd time later but LOGIC HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS! I DON'T CARE IF TotA HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS EITHER!)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: May 20, 2014, 06:39:49 PM »
Alicia: 7.5/10. Yeah, Alicia's skillset is just great and having actual mults on Light Warriors gives her a huge leg up on the other swordsmen. I've benched her before and can actually say there were plenty of times I felt like she'd be useful even though I went full-on archer smash.
Rufus: 7/10. Rufus begins solid and eventually becomes the best archer, but for around half the chapters he isn't even your best PC available. Worse than Alicia overall works out.
Dylan: 5/10. I don't like Heavy Warriors, but he deals plenty of damage.
Lezard: 2/10. VP2 mage, eeeeeeeeeeeeew.
Arngrim: 4.5/10. Generally inferior to Dylan, not sure why bother - though he's decent enough anyway.
Leone: 4/10. Light Warrior without a skillset.
Brahms: 6/10. Nice stats, dude.
Hrist: 6/10. Nice stats, dudette.
Lenneth: 8/10. Lenneth, about your performance... it is magnificent!
Silmeria: 5.5. No point in using her, but archers can only go so bad and even the worst one is above average.
Freya: 6.5/10. Nice smash, dudette.

Archers: 7/10. Most versatile class in the game. With proper elemental twinking, they deal unsurpassed damage, have their fair share of status options and bypass immunities amazingly, and most of the archers even get menu spells for extra ripples in their versatility. They do have the problem of taking a little bit to get truly started, though - but things start looking up as soon as you land a Supreme Crossbow and just pick up from there. Not sure I care about HP in VP2 maingame, the game is -so- bad at exploiting durability woes.
Heavy Warriors: 4/10. The damage class that manages to be outdamaged by archers. That works swimmingly.
Light Warriors: 4/10. At least they get enemy combo positioning shenanigans and menu spells here and there, though the damage is frankly kinda anemic.
Mages: 2/10. Bad at damage, bad at tying up enemies and even bad at durability. The skillset's not even a compensation, since Light Warriors and Archers also get menu spells to play with.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 02:10:04 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: May 20, 2014, 11:33:04 PM »
Alicia: 7.5/10
Rufus: 7/10
Dylan: 5/10
Lezard: 3/10
Arngrim: 4.5/10
Leone: 4/10

Archers: 7/10
Heavy Warriors: 4/10
Light Warriors: 4/10
Mages: 2/10

Didn't finish VP2 because difficulty curve is dumb (not overwhelming, just dumb), swamp was a stupid and the future looked pretty terrible too.

Edit - This was to say why I am not voting on Seraphic Gate stuff and only the first handful of plot characters.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 01:30:09 AM by Grefter »

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: May 26, 2014, 01:59:07 AM »
Mother 3: lazycopy strats go
Lucas: 8/10
Flint: 7/10
Duster: 5/10
Kumatora: 7/10
Salsa: 2/10
Boney: 3/10

Persona 4: random plays catchup again why didn't i do this like a month ago i blame gen2
Souji Seta: does anything, eventually does anything while being the best, does have some growing pains though.  9/10
Yosuke Hanamura: it's like the game went out of its way to make him useful.  8/10
Chie Satonaka: mt physicals are alright and i guess she can make the big numbers pop out of something's head late but could you not have stretches where you're being outsped by yukiko kthx.  5/10
Yukiko Amagi: oh hey battery healing in a game like this.  also not totally frail and not inept at damage unlike some people i could name.  8/10
Kanji Tatsumi: slow st and game design not really makin' me care about his durability awww yeah.  i guess he can do the make big numbers pop out thing but who cares p4 doesn't do leaked exp and lol to his randombusting, lemme use someone who doesn't fail at it and can still contribute against bosses instead.  4/10.
Teddie: i guess he picks up mediarama/diarahan faster than yukiko does but in practice i didn't really care that much.  buffs are cool but the plot-tied slink/bad weakness means in practice i waffle between him and chie for #4.  5/10
Naoto Shirogane: gets outdone by narukami at her niche from basically the moment she joins with virtually no effort and then makes up for it by being bad at damage and durability, gj girl.  but but sp conversation yeah that isn't worth sandbagging another pc over when the fox exists.  3/10

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:06:51 AM by Random Consonant »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: May 26, 2014, 03:06:21 AM »
I ran a mixed comp on general principles at almost all times in VP2 because that seemed more fun.  (Okay I did shelve mages for the final chapter, sure, since the game throws tons of actual characters at you by then.)  Also I was a VP2 scrub (never messed with the attack chains, etc.) so take my rankings with a grain of salt.

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria:
Alicia: 9/10.  Is in your party the entire game and therefore is the best target for devouring Einjerhar souls and getting uber stats by far.  Why else did they give you so many extra characters?  They'd be sent up to fight a divine war in VP1, Alicia eats their soul in VP2.  and oh yeah has Heal (so other characters having Heal or not is almost totally irrelevant with a shared bar).
Rufus: 7/10 Is in your party ALMOST the entire game, so some soul devouring hype here too.
Dylan: 6/10.  Lots of HP & damage.
Lezard: 4/10.  Solid mage - while he's around.  There are some enemies mages (or at least elemental damage) is favored for at least.
Arngrim: 6/10.  See Dylan.
Leone: 3/10.  Competes with Alicia for Light Warrior role so lolno.
Brahms: 7/10.  Arngrim+.
Hrist: 7/10.  Competes with Alicia for Light Warrior role so - wait her stats are really good now?  Okay.
Lenneth: 8/10.  Well the Glance Reviver isn't unique to her anymore but she's pretty broken anyway.
Silmeria: 2/10.  Joins for 2 seconds with no key skills learned like Toughness then leaves.  No.  (Presumably competes with Rufus & Einjergar in the SG anyway, so minus another point.)
Freya: ?  No VP2 Seraphic Gate.

Einjerjar: Competes with named PCs usually (except mages post-Lezard leaving) so I barely used any of 'em, I'll take the people with plot kthx.  Except a Mage for C4 & some of C5, sure.  Unsure how much to downrank them for this as this is a playstyle thing.
Archers: 5/10.  Competes with Rufus BUT the game gives you the "run a 4 Archer party" Sealstone so sure there's some reason for them to exist.
Heavy Warriors: 3/10.  Competes with Dylan / Arngrim / Brahms.
Light Warriors: 2/10.  Competes with Alicia hahaha no.
Mages: 3/10.  Has periods where they aren't competing with Lezard except everyone says Mages are bad so sure I'll trust 'em to a degree.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 02:28:20 AM by SnowFire »

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: May 28, 2014, 04:58:57 AM »
Mother 3:

Lucas: 7/10 -  Decent durability, nice selection of spells for spoiling straight damage, and the only one to pick up MT Healing, not to mention MT Revival?  Stat-ups for both Offense and PDEF that can stack, and eventually be applied MT?  Both physical and magical shields that can reflect damage?  Really good support character, though for how long he's in the game, it's a weird decision.  Still, that speed kind of sinks him.  I think Lucas is somewhere between beating Raquel but losing to Dekar in a footrace?  I'm not sure, but it's bad.  Rolling HP really saves his purpose in a game like this.  Resources are...  Passable, though could stand to be better.
Flint:  5/10 - Good durability, able to pass his gear on to allies as a temp (in a small window), and single-stage stat-ups?  His main problem is that he's always solo, and he doesn't have much past "Hit things hard".  Granted, that's a good job to have, but boring, and he's only playable for one chapter.
Duster:  7/10 - Another character with good durability, but unlike most of the others with that moniker, he has no damage.  The tricks he brings to the table, however, rage wildly from "Mildly Useful" to "Holy crap this is great".  Stat downs that go to stage 3, speed that doesn't fail, viable status effects that can be stacked, and you have a great support character that you want, despite no real healing or damage.
Kumatora:  8/10 - Durability woes, sure.  Not as bad as Boney, but they're there.  However, what she gives up pales in comparison to what she still has - she has healing of both HP and status (Alpha/Beta only, but still), status effects, stat downs, and for most of the game, your cheap damage.  I think I might be understating just how good she actually is in-game - she's even slightly more important than Lucas for party composition.
Salsa: 0/10 - He's got a useless, although interesting, gimmick.  Worse stats than Boney, and that's saying something.  Relies entirely on allies of both flavors to actually do anything.
Boney:  2/10  - High speed!...  And nothing else.  All the other Mother 3 characters hate him for how fast he is, because it makes them that less viable in the DL.  All this makes him good for in-game is tossing items, like the Shield Remover gained late in chapter 5 or the occasional healing item.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: May 28, 2014, 05:20:59 AM »
Mother 3:
Lucas: 8/10. Ness minus, but still good enough to get the job done. Gate overvalues healing(MT healing especially) as always.
Flint: 5/10. Hits things, is good at hitting things, doesn't really exist during a time period where there are any skillsets to compete with, but I can't really give a prologue char above a 5.
Duster: 4/10. Uh...skillset, sure. When it works. I wanted to like duster, I really did, but his stuff is just too unreliable.
Kumatora: 7/10. Blows shit up, gets the job done. -1 compared to Lucas for durability issues.
Salsa: 1/10. Bad monkey is bad.
Boney: 2/10. Uh...better then the monkey, sure. Otherwise bad dog is also bad.

Played VP2 but don't care about it enough to rate.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: May 29, 2014, 09:35:57 PM »
Mother 3:
Lucas: 8/10.  Ness-lite, so he's your durable healer with decent physicals, and a trump-card damage move.  Gets an extra point simply for carrying 45% of the team's weight.
Flint: 5/10.  Technically a solo character who hits hard, but there is a brief moment he's comparable to Duster I believe...except Duster has like only one tool, so he's worse than normal.  Yeah, kind of definitively average.
Duster: 4/10.  So here's a character whose entire skillset is given to you from the outset...sadly the skill-set is limited and really needed to be expandable. 
Kumatora: 8/10.  For the most part, takes the positive aspects of Paula and Poo and marries them together, making her overall better than both.  She carries another 45% of the team's weight as a result.  Yes, Lucas + Kumatora are only 90% of the team's worth, that's because warm bodies and item slots have to count for SOMETHING (and...Duster does have stat downs, I guess)
Salsa: 0.5/10.  When you're practically a solo PC and demonstrably awful, and need to rely on a random acting NPC to do anything, you KNOW you suck.  Damage anemic, skill-set sucks, can't take hits...this is exactly how NOT to do a Monkey PC.
Boney: 2/10.  Fast and has a lot of item slots due to less equipment!  And his worth ends there; bad at damage, no variety whatsoever, kind of frail, a complete and total waste of a dog PC.  Feels like he was intended to be a temp that somehow got stuck being a permanent PC because they were too lazy to think of a 4th legitimate character.

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria:
Alicia: 7.5/10.  Heal, good attacks, and no real glaring flaws, I hesitate to say "MVP" but she's solid in her own right.
Rufus: 7/10.  Only reliable 60 Energy Soul Crush PC without using Heat Up, and some good moves, but he takes some time to get going.  Once he gets going, he's arguable for MVP, and easily the best archer in the aftergame due to nothing but unique oves.
Dylan: 6/10.  Service-able Heavy Warrior, the main thing they have are weapons that allow them to hit extremely hard on Soul Crushes, and his normals are good enough as well.  Also a nice perk of anything he learns benefits another good PC later in the game.
Lezard: 1/10.  He's a Mage, and not a particularly good one.  The one fight he joins with SUPER EQUIPS, he still really sucks.
Arngrim: 4/10.  Hybrid of a Heavy Warrior and a Light Warrior, didn't really work out as expected.  He's not bad, but not really stand out either.
Leone: 3/10.  Light Warrior who misses out on some key moves like Holy Smite, on top of low health.  Her only saving graces are early development for Hrist on skills, and a high hit count Soul Crush for Light Warriors.
Brahms: 6/10.  Thanks to parasitic healing, keeping him at full health is easier than most so Adamantine and Paper Tiger work better on him, inheritting Dylan's skills means he won't be behind on them despite joining late, and he really lacks any sort of flaws.  However, his joining late means I can only give him so high. 
Hrist: 5.5/10.  Kind of like Brahms, only prepping her is harder because Leone sucks while Dylan does not, and she's a temp in the main game and misses out the early parts of the SG.  Once she gets her good stuff, she's quite good, and she's got one of the best weapons in the SG through Gungnir, which on top of being gotten early, you can get multiple of too boot allowing for that 300% Attack seal stone to be used with her.  Still, limited usage means I can only give her so high, alas.  Unique weapon allows for flexibility in usage too since she never competes for stuff unlike...
Lenneth: 5.5/10.  This character here!  On paper, she's better than Hrist, but a number of minor little flaws like no Leone skill thing, competes for weapons, Levantine gotten notably later than Gungnir, etc. means I give her the same.
Silmeria: 2/10.  So what we have is a character who joins late, with no skills learned, and doesn't have any real unique features whatsoever other than being able to equip a select few weapons (like Rangrid's Blade), which don't amount for much.  Worse yet, she competes with the STRONGEST CLASS OF EINHERJAR BY FAR.  They really dropped the ball on this character.
Freya: 5/10.  Like the Valkyrie, but gotten later with limited skills, IIRC.  She's by no means bad and definitely good enough to justify a party slot, but "late in SG" only goes so far for me.  I was tempted to DNR her until I realized I gave Hrist and Lenneth legitimate scores based on that partially.

Archers: 7/10.  The best Einherjar Class, easily.  They have everything you could want, and in effect, are your best source of magic damage before the SG's Levantine (and maybe Gungnir.)
Heavy Warriors: 5/10.  The HP is nice, and the Soul Crush damage they can dish is great too, but that's really all they have.
Light Warriors: 4/10.  Honestly, their ability to build up combos never really found useful to me.  They compete with Alicia quite directly and she alone is enough to fill that niche, where as Heavy Warriors have an entire stretch where you don't have Dylan, and Archers compare laterally to Rufus, so using both makes a lot of sense.
Mages: 2/10.  The only thing they have going for them is those that learn Tidal Wave and Maleficent Harm can get 60 Energy on a Soul Crush which is a feat in this game, meaning they can...fill that slot when you lose Rufus briefly if you want to one round things and rely on Soul Crushes?  I guess they have some menu spells too.  Yeah, I'm reaching and I could be argued to dock them another point, Mages suck this game.

Write-Ins!
Phyress: 8/10.  Joins stupidly good out of the gate thanks to Flame Shot and Psychosoma; she stops being stand out after a point due to most archers being capable of what she has, but she's easily the best short-term archer and definitely a good one long term. 
Valkyrie: 4/10.  On paper, she should be really good, but she's behind on her attacks and gotten at the VERY END OF THE SERAPHIC GATE.  Also, she competes directly with Lenneth for weapons in the SG and Lenneth is overall better due to relying on only one element, thus doesn't need to use two seal stones to boost herself.  Arguably games best Mage, but probably better off going with Rufus there.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: June 01, 2014, 01:07:29 AM »
Updating tonight at some point.  With what?  NOT TELLING!  Mostly because you're going to find out in a few hours anyway and I don't think the anticipation is really killing anyone.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: June 01, 2014, 02:59:00 AM »
Run Bravely Default next!
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: June 01, 2014, 03:52:48 AM »
I'm purposely holding off on BD because "Too new."  I'd rather leave actual time between a game release and the in-game rankings of it.  This is not something you'll argue me out of either.

Anyway, ratings!

Mother 3:
   Average   STDEVA
Lucas   7.80   0.45
Flint   5.80   1.10
Duster   5.00   1.22
Kumatora   7.40   0.55
Salsa   1.10   0.89
Boney   2.40   0.55

Standard Deviation of Whole Cast: 2.69

Valkyrie Profile 2:
   Average   STDEVA
Alicia   7.80   0.67
Rufus   7.00   0.00
Dylan   5.60   0.55
Lezard   2.30   1.10
Arngrim   4.80   0.76
Leone   3.60   0.55
Brahms   N/A(6.38)   N/A(0.48)
Hrist   N/A (6.13)   N/A (0.63)
Lenneth   N/A(7.38)   N/A(1.25)
Silmeria   N/A(3.63)   N/A(1.89)
Freya   N/A(5.75)   N/A(3.38)

Archers   6.60   0.89
Heavy Warriors   4.30   0.97
Light Warriors   3.60   0.89
Mages   2.30   0.45

Standard Deviation of Eligible Cast: 4.79

NEXT GAME!  This one was requested 2 weeks ago, and brought to my attention of "Huh, we haven't done that yet? Ok, fixing that!"

Digital Devil Saga 2:
Serph:
Argilla:
Gale:
Roland:
Cielo:
Sera:
Heat:
Seraph:

Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories:
Adell:
Rozalin:
Tink:
Hanako:
Taro:
Yukimaru:
Etna:

Like in VP2, if you want to rate specific generics, feel free to write them in; there's too many to realistically do otherwise.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:12:02 AM by Meeplelard »

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: June 02, 2014, 05:54:22 AM »
Disgaea 2:

It's been quite a while since I played this, so going from memory of my last playthrough.  Ratings will be a little fuzzy.  You forgot D2!Etna, by the way, Meeple.

Adell: 7/10 or so.  Competent enough Disgaea human and fists are pretty good in D2.  As I recall he had pretty good specials too.  The evility is nice when it kicks in.
Rozalin: 6/10?  Probably the best gunner in D2, but guns were only kind of 'eh' in D2 as I recall.  Definitely used her though, the evility is helpful.
Tink: 5/10?  I guess he's okay if you flank him with female generics, I didn't bother but he looks okay on paper and the move is impressive.
Hanako: 3/10, Disgaea caster monster who doesn't learn spells innately.  Shame, really, the skillset is nice but actually getting her levels is :flush:.  Not a 1 because her physical damage is at least vaguely non-fail (but nothing special and she's stuck with basic physical for a long time).  I guess she can tank monsters with her evility?  Meh.
Taro: 6/10.  What's this?  He has better buffs than his sister, an innate heal, and better damage (albeit still late)?  Sure, I actually got some use out of him.
Yukimaru: 7/10.  Swords are awesome, I'd almost say she'd be better than Adell if she weren't so late relatively, zam.
Etna: 6.5/10.  Basically her D1 self, but D2 spears are better.

And one more write-in, for the PSP version where he has his own storyline (the other characters in it are all just "Special Generics" and not interesting):

Axel: 8/10.  Basically a better Adell.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: June 02, 2014, 03:49:51 PM »
Digital Devil Saga 2:

Serph: 8/10. Same deal as DDS1. I probably consider Serph and Seraph to be pretty much sides to a coin in a sense to boot, so I expect to repeat this score.
Argilla: 6/10. Still benefits from the first game's build, but she leaves the party for a goddamned long time and rejoins way too underlevelled to be useful by the end. Still, while you have her, she's good.
Gale: 5/10. Stays in your party for pretty much the longest time along with Cielo, but losing 3rd-best magic kinda sucks.
Roland: 3/10. Eeeeeeeeeeeew, Heat minus.
Cielo: 5.5/10. Well, having -actual- Mag is cool, and being around the longest is cool for the endgame. Weaknesses still suck, though.
Sera: 7.5/10. Benefits from a proper Serph build and her very own bases translate well to DDS in general.
Heat: DNR. No.
Seraph: 8/10. We all know the drill. Objectively better than both Serph and Sera, but effectively works as an evolution of them.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: June 09, 2014, 04:28:25 AM »
Adell: 7.5/10. Always pulls his weight, even if he never truly excels. A fine main.
Rozalin: 5/10. Guns are mediocre and her specials don't really make up for it. She's not bad, just not great.
Tink: 2/10. Has utility with his movement speed and not much else.
Hanako: 2/10. Early Disgaea caster. You know the problems here.
Taro: 4/10. Didn't get much out of him.
Yukimaru: Meh/10. Don't care.
Etna: 5/10. Not unusable, just a bit bland.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1095 on: June 09, 2014, 12:17:15 PM »
Adell: 7.5 - Better Fist-user than in any other Disgaea game? He actually dodges sometimes too, which is nice early on. Good hitboxes and his innate ability is aces for a low-grinding playthrough, which is probably what I'd assume for a 'maingame worth' rating.
Rozalin: 6 - Solid ranged attacker right out of the box with a group buff that lets you abuse team attacks with her. Wants better throw and move, but ultimately a good gunner if you decide you need one (and works well as a healer if you take some time to get her a healing spell or two).
Tink: 7 - Sucks as a fighter in all regards, but high move, flying move-type, and a geo-piercing special is undoubtably useful on key trouble maps in this game and no amount of grinding generics can replace him.
Hanako: 2 - The same cannot be said of Hanako, who have low move, can't throw, has kinda lame support skills, but sick burns against the rest of the cast?
Taro: 5 - Can be twinked to solo the game! This is a genuinely valid strategy that could actually take less time than actually levelling up 5 to 10 PCs for a team. Later Disgaeas are less forgiving of this strategy, but Dis1 and 2 are probably easier to run as a SCC than standard play.
Yukimaru: 6 - Swords are good, she has good specials, she occasionally dodges! No reason -not- to use her, but you probably already have a generic sword specialist by the time you get her so she's got more competition than Adell and Rozalin.
Etna: 6.5 - Similarly, Etna will have competition from Lancers or Axe-users (though there's not really a dedicated Axe-using class in Dis2, so Etna's high stat growth and passive prinny bonuses if you like using the little guys might make her a better candidate than most for this). Throw an Axe and a ton of glasses on her for big numbers. Generics could certainly keep up, but she has better move and similar throw and higher accuracy than most of the Axe-using classes (which is to say... Fighter, Samurai, and Heavy Knight. And Heavy Knights really only exist as throw-bots). Chaos Impact is just solid reliable damage in any Disgaea game still.
Axel: 7.5 - Aftergame-only but is basically Adell+!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: June 13, 2014, 01:57:05 AM »
Digital Devil Saga 2:
Serph: 8.5/10.  It's still Serph, he's still awesome, but he does miss a portion of the game this time.
Argilla: 7/10.  Yeah, more or less the same as before.
Gale: 6.5/10.  Same as DDS1, but a little better simply because of having the most party time in the game, thus giving him better skillset and such.
Roland: 3/10.  Is basically Heat with a different element.
Cielo: 5/10. Like Gale, good availability, but worse stats.  His weaknesses aren't as bad this time around at least.
Sera: 8/10.  Serph-, not that this is a bad thing at all.
Heat: 5/10.  The fact that he can get a no weakness set up using an equip is a nice boon, but that's about it.
Seraph: 9/10.  No weakness innately, and best stats hands down, do I really have to explain much more?

Adell: 7/10.  Solid but nothing amazing.
Rozalin: 6/10.  Decent, but not stand out.
Tink: 4/10.  I honestly found his utility not that great and his fighting capabilities are just bad.
Hanako: 3/10.  Buffs are ok, but nothing special.
Taro: 5/10.  self buffs are better though!
Yukimaru: 6/10.  Decent swordsmen.
Etna: 5/10.  She's actually pretty good, better than Dis 1 due to Lances being better and Sexy Beam based off attack instead of Magic, just...level 1 that late is a huge penalty for me, and arguably not worth raising, so average score she gets.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:08:29 AM by Meeplelard »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: June 13, 2014, 06:50:45 AM »
All you poor people who tried to use Etna with spears in Disgaea 1 make me sad.

Digital Devil Saga 2:
Serph: 8/10. As before. However, I think DDS bats a higher average and also feels like it exploits fire weakness slightly more relatively.
Argilla: 6.5/10. Leaving for a while sucks, but she still has the magic stat.
Gale: 6/10. Always around. Cool.
Roland: 3/10. I dunno what his stat build is trying to do, but it doesn't work too well.
Cielo: 5.5/10. Status weakness still sucks, but the stats are a bit better and availability does help.
Sera: 7.5/10. Slightly worse Serph.
Heat: Pass.
Seraph: 9/10. No weaknesses? Notably better stats than anyone else thanks to fusion abuse? Well then.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 11:49:07 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: June 13, 2014, 07:24:40 AM »
Digital Devil Saga 2:

Serph: 8/10. Good and no reason not to use like 80% of the time
Argilla: 7/10. When she is around you use her.  When you get her back a mix of her stats and her unique spell keep her useful.  I definitely stuck with her in final dungeon.  If Seraph didn't exist and you got Serp/Sera both she might drop off.
Gale: 6/10. He is good and around a lot.  Unique skill in final dungeon also nice capstone to skill set since odds of you building Fire on him are low, but it lets him pinch hit Fire Weakness respectably.
Roland: 3/10.  Everyone is right, that build sucks.  I got use out of him in like Power Plant as an MP battery.
Cielo: 5.5/10. Like Snow said, the Mag stat is good.  The weakness isn't super crippling in this game (Curse is way more prevalent than "Status" and he isn't impacted IIRC?), but it comes up often enough you want to hedge around it a bit.  It comes up only a little bit more than his Lightning Resist to be fair!
Sera: 7.5/10. Yep she is Serph that is around a bit less.
Heat: 1.5/10. I don't see why DNR.  He is just Roland with slightly better stats or something and never fucking around.  And when he is he kind of sucks hard.
Seraph: 8/10.  Same as Serph because functionally equivalent in quality with availability mixed in etcetc.  By the time you get Seraph you could have just about had Serph with Resist Fire.  That said, this is a point to hype how much better the balance of having Resist further up the upgrade in DDS2 rather than DDS1 is.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:31:29 AM by Grefter »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: June 14, 2014, 01:24:55 PM »
All you poor people who tried to use Etna with spears in Disgaea 1 make me sad.

She can still use Axes in Dis 2 which I found good, so her other option being better still makes her better, and my second point about Sexy Beam still applies!