Author Topic: DLC 5 Main Topic  (Read 33648 times)

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
Re: DLC 5 Main Topic
« Reply #275 on: May 25, 2010, 12:57:14 AM »
Hey man, no money's a pretty valid excuse for not travelling to the other side of the country. >_>  I just didn't realize that the bus cost that much less.

Nah, it wasn't me being defensive, just trying to explain that they *aren't* if I had been able to get more on the ball about it.

Things just didn't work out. Ah well.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 01, 2010, 06:40:58 PM »
I'm still down for tentative? Whoops.

Confirming. Would like to stay in the house if still possible.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 02, 2010, 12:35:13 AM »
Go ahead and put me in as confirmed.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2010, 08:28:10 AM »
Okay, I'm in the proces of getting tickets to SFO, but the prices are really way higher than I was expecting. Normally whenever I check ticket prices, they're about $500 cheaper, but apparently since it's summertime, all the prices are jacked up.

Anyway, I'm still trying really hard to get to the con, but as it stands, I'm not sure I can get everything situated in time at a reasonable cost. And even if I manage to to get it all together, I may not be able to afford anything once we -get- to Cali.

Just how much are we looking at for in-country travel costs (aka, how much is public transportation/rental cars in California?) and how much is the cabin-thing going to cost each person?

Time to get budgeting.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 07, 2010, 06:52:32 PM »
Are you 25+? If yes, rental cars are moderately expensive (roughly $175/week). If no, they're ridiculously expensive (roughly $350/week). You CAN find them cheaper, but that's a solid average. I'm not even sure how car rental works if you have international ID, so I hope you've maintained a US state ID. The thing that will kill you is probably gas, unless you drive in Japan in which case you might just be relieved that gas is so cheap. It's running about $3/gal in CA right now. Word to the wise about car rental: make sure you KNOW of some place to park. Parking is kind of ridiculously bad in most places, or else it costs a premium. Sometimes both.

If you're staying in/around the Bay Area, the price of public transit will depend on how long you're staying and where you want to go. Bus trips on AC Transit (much of the East Bay) run $2 one-way or $80 for an unlimited 30-day pass. The MUNI (San Francisco) is also $2 per one-way trip, but if you're planning to use it a lot or be here a while you can buy an unlimited pass for $60 or $70 (the more expensive one includes in-city BART transit). The BART, which is the best way to travel long distances, starts at $1.75 one-way and goes up to around $6 one-way. EDITED TO ADD: SFO-to-anywhere or anywhere-to-SFO tickets on BART are more expensive than other fares because the BART train goes almost directly to the terminals. I believe it's $7+ one-way right now.

I can give more detailed information if you know more about how long and where you are going to stay and what kind of places you might be looking to go.

This goes for anyone, by the way! I've lived in the East Bay for a few years now, and my mother's family lived in North Bay for 30+ years, so I'm reasonably familiar with the area.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:57:11 PM by Lady Door »
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 07, 2010, 09:33:21 PM »
Sorry guys, I can't make it this year. Family funds just aren't what they used to be :/ I'll definitely try for next year though.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #281 on: June 08, 2010, 01:15:36 AM »
Are you 25+? If yes, rental cars are moderately expensive (roughly $175/week). If no, they're ridiculously expensive (roughly $350/week). You CAN find them cheaper, but that's a solid average. I'm not even sure how car rental works if you have international ID, so I hope you've maintained a US state ID. The thing that will kill you is probably gas, unless you drive in Japan in which case you might just be relieved that gas is so cheap. It's running about $3/gal in CA right now. Word to the wise about car rental: make sure you KNOW of some place to park. Parking is kind of ridiculously bad in most places, or else it costs a premium. Sometimes both.

I do drive in Japan, I'm 25, and I have a FL Driver's liscense that doesn't expire until December! So yay, not too terribly expensive all-around except for that nasty parking bit.

If you're staying in/around the Bay Area, the price of public transit will depend on how long you're staying and where you want to go. Bus trips on AC Transit (much of the East Bay) run $2 one-way or $80 for an unlimited 30-day pass. The MUNI (San Francisco) is also $2 per one-way trip, but if you're planning to use it a lot or be here a while you can buy an unlimited pass for $60 or $70 (the more expensive one includes in-city BART transit). The BART, which is the best way to travel long distances, starts at $1.75 one-way and goes up to around $6 one-way. EDITED TO ADD: SFO-to-anywhere or anywhere-to-SFO tickets on BART are more expensive than other fares because the BART train goes almost directly to the terminals. I believe it's $7+ one-way right now.

I can give more detailed information if you know more about how long and where you are going to stay and what kind of places you might be looking to go.

This goes for anyone, by the way! I've lived in the East Bay for a few years now, and my mother's family lived in North Bay for 30+ years, so I'm reasonably familiar with the area.

Uh... well, if the offer still stands, I thought it was worked out that Chiaki and I were staying with you and Andy for the better part of 7 days?

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 08, 2010, 06:15:22 AM »
Offer still stands. Parking over here necessitates moving the car frequently.

Edit: Also, do you know which 7 days?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:17:20 AM by AndrewRogue »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #283 on: June 08, 2010, 06:51:24 AM »
Appears to be from Aug 10 to Aug 20 at the moment, not including the nights we'll be at the con lodgings. Haven't gotten ticket confirmation yet, so it might move a little in either direction. Is that okay?

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 08, 2010, 05:30:38 PM »
S'cool. More advanced notice just means more comfort for all -- I can send the brother up to the parents (if he isn't already gone) for the time you guys'll be here if I know when to do it.

Archmage

• Laggy's Post-marketing Surveillance Team
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 23, 2010, 08:50:24 PM »
So, despite living on the fringes of the DL, I have plans to attend DLCon this year, partly because I've always wanted to visit San Francisco and partly because of my undying love for Laggy-chan. I will be staying at his place, for the official record.
"That which can be destroyed by the truth should be." ~P.C. Hodgell

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 23, 2010, 09:06:25 PM »
S'cool. More advanced notice just means more comfort for all -- I can send the brother up to the parents (if he isn't already gone) for the time you guys'll be here if I know when to do it.

Update: Hooray! Consider the brother sent away. We will be able to revel in the glory of having four people and a dog* in a 730 sq ft apartment. It's downright ROOMY compared to Japan. <_<

*Dog may get boarded. Still looking into that.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #287 on: June 23, 2010, 11:54:15 PM »
Noooo!

The dog is like 4/5ths of the reason why I want to stay with you guys!

I miss doggies. ;_;

Halbarad

• Youkai of the Boundary
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 24, 2010, 02:07:23 AM »
Sadly I am confirmed out at this point. Testing phase of the project at work has been extended, can't really take time off in August.
- Have you ever contemplated suicide?
 - Frequently. But only for others.

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #289 on: July 01, 2010, 02:57:04 AM »
Alrighty then.  Sorry I haven't been checking in.  It's been a month from heck for the most part.  The first post has been edited with the current list for the house and who all is coming in total.  Currently looks like 16 staying at the house (with two not having stated where they're staying).  And with the number of people we have, I think $70 a person for the whole weekend for each soul staying at the house should cover the cost of the rental nicely.
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 04, 2010, 07:14:35 AM »
I have booked my ticket.

Arriving in SFO on 8/13 12:10 noon

Count me in the house if there is still room.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 04, 2010, 02:38:11 PM »
Miki also confirmed for the house if they're room as well.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 13, 2010, 04:32:04 PM »
Still got room in the house for one more? <_<
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 13, 2010, 10:50:54 PM »
Alternately, don't suppose anyone knows a good hotel nearby for lazy Australians?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 14, 2010, 07:51:15 PM »
I count 19 people staying at the house. Plus a 'rat (since Grefter is already listed as staying in the house), that rounds out to 20 people!

Are we definitely staying in this place? Occupying it mid-day August 13th through early AM August 16th?

I ask because: 1) it's time for me to request time off work; and 2) 20 people is a little bit over their suggested "sleeps" range of 10-16, which suggests some planning questions (such as, "Will Andy and I be commuting from Oakland every day?" and "Should we bring some sleeping bags/inflatable mattresses?").

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 14, 2010, 08:33:20 PM »
*sigh*

There is a possibility I might have to cancel the trip.  I will know more within a week once I hear from one of my contacts.  Just heard about it today, will keep up if things change.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #296 on: July 14, 2010, 11:54:47 PM »
Grefter:  I'll be able to answer your hotel question in a few days.

LD: That is the place and those are the dates.  Now, as for sleeping, we do have a lot so we may need to arrange either hotel stays for some (who obviously wouldn't need to pay for the house at that point), or else stash them with local DLers.  I know we can stash a few up here at our place.  Once I get a look at the inside of the place, I can get a better feel for how much room we'll have including floorspace.  It may be just a matter or getting some air mattresses and cots n things.  The place is booked pretty solid so I'm working with the guy to find a time between rentals to get in and take a look.  If there's enough floorspace, the number may not be as dire as it sounds.  A few souls willing to stay at a hotel instead of the house might not be a bad idea, though.  If memory serves there's a place right down the hill from where the house is.  I'm going to try to do a drive by this weekend so I can at least get a feel for the outside and what's around it.

OK: *sadness*

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 15, 2010, 08:47:19 AM »
Let me rephrase, it doesn't have to be good and don't let me put you out over it or anything (Although of course it would be greatly appreciated).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 15, 2010, 05:14:29 PM »
We'll split a room, if necessary!
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #299 on: July 19, 2010, 05:38:07 PM »
Well, I think it may be safe to unpanic at this point.  My weekend has been one long ulcer-inducing stressfest, but hopefully it's all sorted out now.

THE REALLY BAD:  Got an e-mail on Friday from the guy we rented the house from letting me know he'd sold it and wouldn't be able to honor the rental.  Panic ensues.  He tells me he'll look around for alternative housing and will try to find something.  I decide it's better to look on my own and begin searching.

THE BAD: We got the place as early as we did because vacation rentals fill up fast here.  All of the answers I got were 'We're full those dates' or 'Sure, but it'll be 3-5k for the rental'.  Neither good.

THE NOT SO BAD, HOPEFULLY GOOD: The guy we rented from gets back to me first with a place that's smaller than his, then, when I explain why we need the size, he finds one that's actually a lot bigger.  The place also seems to have held a party for 40 earlier in the year so should accomodate us all.  Plus it's not going to cost extra.  I'm also going to look up hotels as soon as I get an exact address from the owner.

THE SUSPICIOUS: I've asked for the new landlord's contact info so I can get inside and take a look around.  Hope to have that today.  In the mean time, see below.

CHANGE: This is north bay, so those of us locals in the south bay will either need to stay over or pay tolls going home each night (and don't forget they raised the rates).

http://www.vrbo.com/206270