Author Topic: Within a Deep Mafia Forest - Game Topic (GAME OVER)  (Read 41057 times)

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
Re: Within a Deep Mafia Forest - Game Topic (Day 1)
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2008, 10:44:47 PM »
APPARENTLY it's nigh impossible for me to post a reply that doesn't have six million lines of text. I'm sorry. I'm working on it. -_-
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2008, 10:51:14 PM »
I don't see one of the problems Kilga has with Otter, at least not yet; as to whether the Otterdance smokescreens discussion is debatable, but it hasn't been demonstrated as a black hole yet since there really wasn't anything else going on at that time. Now, as to whether one draws anything from the content is certainly debatable, although I can't see a lot to attack Otter on from my point of view personally (I did agree with Ciato looking badly, but for only one reason of the ones he stated; that being the harsh language attributed to the jokevote method of play, then later glozed over as nothing.).

Also, smodge has finally rearrived...and there's really not a lot there. The link that makes scum Ciato lead to scum Andy still seems obscured to me, personally, and that's one of the key points of your argument. With your quick dropoff vote and "reasons later", you still look the worst to me. It's...not overly a good case due to the possibility of RL issues, although I would wonder why you explicitly felt the need to switch votes right then without justification.
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2008, 11:14:40 PM »
His point about scum me leading to scum Andy is... pretty tenuous but it exists, although I do question the logic of voting Andrew before me if he thought I was scum... if he was "satsified with my responses" as he stated in the switch post but yet his reason to vote Andy was because he thought if Andy was scum I was... that seems odd. I would think that lynching the person who you believed initated the coverup (i.e. my ignoring of Andrew's falter) would be a priority over lynching the person who screwed up, because you can infer from a scum-flip of the person doing the covering up that they were covering up for someone, whereas if you vote the person who makes the falter, there is a lot more room for error. I have no idea how to interpret this at all, because I see no real need for him to flip votes at that juncture, though...
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »
I, um, wasn't in Pretty Princess Mafia.

No, but Dhyer was, and I figured he would recall I made a similar accusation on Day 1 of that game.

You can consider my posts to be smokescreens because "they draw attention away from other issues," but, um, what DOESN'T draw attention away from other issues?  It is my hope that people can read my posts and other posts.

That was my hope as well in two earlier games where I drew suspicion purely for extended discussion of whatever on Day 1, but apparently that's not the case. This is what DL has taught me is scummy the hard way, so I'm going to use it.

As for whether they're useful, well, right now I've been going "Hey, Ciato has been saying some very scummy things, here's why they're scummy and why I'm voting for her."  If you want to disagree with me on some point, feel free, I'll be glad to discuss whatever it is, but I do wonder why you think this mode of behavior isn't useful.  Town does want to find and lynch scum.

It's mostly because you're very aggressive and very wordy about it. The length of your posts makes them undesirable to read and your choice of words needles at someone I know is prone to taking the game seriously on a personal level. (Remember "town has no need to be uncivil"?) Combine walls of text with stinging words over an issue that's potentially better suited for either private or post-game discussion and I don't see much reason to want the end result.

Nitori: There was Andrew discussion going on at the time, and it was completely ignored for almost a page while this sorted itself out.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2008, 11:32:59 PM »
Got back from work and am now in class, but from what I've seen, I'm not really sure what to think of Smodge here. His logic train is kinda... tenuous, at best. I'm not really inclined to remove my vote, but I'm going back through the topic right now to see if anything leaps ahead of Smodge but... yeah. His point boils down to voting me because I made a groggy post, retracted a mistake and that Ciato didn't vote me, which apparently only makes sense if we're both scum, which seems like an incredibly weak case. Add in his posting habits (which, I know, might well be the cause of RL circumstances, but sadly this is not a free bye), and I think it's going to be hard to find a better case before we start crossing into deadline enforcement time.

Any chance of hearing some finalish thoughts from some of the quieter folks?

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2008, 12:00:44 AM »
smodge...the roleclaim is fairly weak.  Yeah, I know vanilla can be boring sometimes, but just the role, not the name?  Not much push behind it to try and save yourself - seems more like a resignation.  As per your voting style, that's what I've noticed - you seem to follow the same pattern each time and each game.  Still...

Your comment about (post #95) "hold off my vote until i see something substantial" followed by "i switched my vote, i had less than 5 minutes to do it with a possible 8 hours to go before i got home, i didn't read over the thread, just checked the latest vote-count" does seem to conflict with yourself a bit.  In fact, with the "instead i leave mine sitting on whoever looks the worst at the time regardless of whether i think the case is valid or not" comment that started the post that really, really looks like convoluted logic.  If you hold off your votes until they make sense, why would you post without having a chance to read the topic?  How could you find something substantial without re-reading the topic?  There's a lot of contradiction there.  You say you think logically and look for substantiation, then, despite whether you think there is logic in a case or not, you leave a vote there?  I...

Yeah, that's pretty weird, no offense.  Saying that you want to keep a vote on someone you feel has the best case is one thing, but keeping it on one person?  That...that's stubborn.  Tempted to vote you, but I'll wait for more comments if they come in first.   

Dhyer: Your concern with me is that I haven't voted?  Well, a serious vote.  I do admit, I forgot to take the vote off Nitori when I posted my most recent post, so I can do that now.  It is a counting vote, however - if you read my last post, you'll realize that.  It almost seems like a random off remark on me because , but I can't fault that - I've made a total of 2 posts this topic so far (yay, rotation that's an hour+ drive away every fucking day!), and the only vote I had was a joke, so that's acceptable thought.  Still...

##Unvote: Nitori

To Alex:  Yeah, I can see how that would be difficult.  I didn't want to make the rule right away, and I saw no comments that it had to be done in the first post, etc., just a post somewhere.  Like I said, I was expecting to use it at the end, but I do see it, so I did it last post.

Wow.  I suppose sexual innuendo doesn't count for this sake, but a little bit of conflagration strikes me as a bit odd.  Reminds me of the South Park episode Go God Go!, where a whole bunch of otters and human atheists fought because Mr. Garrison had sex with a high ranking evolutionary studies official.

As for whatever else...

Ciato and Otter are both good players, with different styles.  I really don't think either gave a smokescreen off, just some debate between townies. 

Otherwise, I really am not getting a good read on much else that's happened throughout the day so far, which is...concerning to an extent.  Andrew has been a bit quiet since the first outbreak, but he's back, so let's let him get to doing his thing before I make judgments.  Don't think he's done anything wrong yet. 

Dhyer...Corwin doing the evading of the rules thing could be a scum thing.  I really don't see how that's not a possibility.  He could be advised not to, or he could be advised to.  It's an odd way to go about things, but what if it were designed to be an attention draw early on?  It could make a good smokescreen for the first day if it gets out of hand., if people start picking at him.  I don't think that's the case, but...eh, I don't think it's anything to go after.  The theory's a bit out there, and the possibilities are fairly limited with it.  I don't think it was a scum ploy, personally, and if it was, it failed miserably - we have other things going on for discussion day 1. 

Zuh, I really, really can't get a feel for anyone else.  This is ODD. 
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2008, 12:56:07 AM »
Good to see an OK post, complete with content!  Was about to initiate callout procedures.

No fullclaim from smodge?  Dude, you're a vote away from hammer.  I have no idea why a townie would feel the need to conceal his name at this point, and I'm wondering why smodge is acting so resigned rather than actively trying to defend himself.  "It won't save me anyway"-type comments don't leave you looking too enthusiastic.  I see the case against you, but your train also moved awfully fast with nobody really feeling the need to respond to your defenses or clarifications, instead letting momentum just sort of wash you away so the day can be over.  I'm all for decisive action, but this feels a little odd to me; your voters aren't really asking you questions and trying to get to the bottom of it, they're just going "yeah smodge looks bad" and piling on votes without a lot of justification other than me-tooisms.

ALL THAT SAID, I'm not going to try harder to defend you than you are, for reasons I think should be obvious, and you're not even providing a full roleclaim at -1 to hammer.  I fully expect players to read the rules and play to win.  If this is a case of "Eh I'm a nilla townie, this game is BORING, I don't mind dying" then I will be... unpleased.  It really, really sucks for town to mislynch at any time and your attitude should reflect this.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2008, 12:56:36 AM »
Votecount! 

With 13 alive, it takes 7 to lynch.

LadyDoor (1): Dhyer
Excal (0): , Andrew, Nitori
Otter (2): Yakumo, Kilgamayan
Yakumo (0): Kilgamayan
Corwin (0): , Andrew, Fnorder
Dhyer (0): Excal
Andrew (1): Smodge, Otter, Corwin
Ciato (1): Otter, Smodge, LadyDoor, Corwin
Kilga (1): Ciato, Smodge
Smodge (6): Andrew, Excal, Nitori, LadyDoor, Fnorder, Corwin

48 hours have now passed on day 1.  Y'all gonna hammer, or unvote and pick someone else?  If the former, (conditional) night actions would be really nice!

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2008, 01:02:38 AM »
Well, plane full of meerkats says that I should back up my words. 

[coloer=red]ANNOUNCING INTENT TO HAMMER

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2008, 01:03:25 AM »
DAMN LACK OF EDIT!!!!

[size=24]ANNOUNCING INTENT TO HAMMER

Plane full of meerkats wants me to.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2008, 01:03:44 AM »

You get the idea.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2008, 01:04:52 AM »
Mmm, I was mostly waiting for Yakko to get here to put in his input before any hammering could occur.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2008, 01:07:19 AM »
Yeah...  I know that what Smodge said didn't really move me to vote another way.  And given that we're basically sitting at two days in, and no one's really gone out of their way to defend Smodge, let's either hear why we should choose someone else, or let this day end.  Conversation is stalling, and we're not really getting anything else from this waiting for the flip.

On a side note, OK, it's been 48 hours, and we're at day's effective end, so where's your vote?

Edit: That works.  Let's do this.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2008, 01:43:35 AM »
Ok, then.  Seems like the day's over for all practical intents and purposes.

##Vote: Smodge

We'll miss you, smodgey-poo.  Unless you're not a bouncy ball, in which case, good riddance!  In the name of the lemmings!

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2008, 01:58:21 AM »
Hammer!
Day 1 Final Votecount! 

With 13 alive, it takes 7 to lynch.

LadyDoor (1): Dhyer
Excal (0): , Andrew, Nitori
Otter (2): Yakumo, Kilgamayan
Yakumo (0): Kilgamayan
Corwin (0): , Andrew, Fnorder
Dhyer (0): Excal
Andrew (1): Smodge, Otter, Corwin
Ciato (1): Otter, Smodge, LadyDoor, Corwin
Kilga (1): Ciato, Smodge
Smodge (7): Andrew, Excal, Nitori, LadyDoor, Fnorder, Corwin, OK

And so the various creatures of Pinewood gathered, all of them more than a little loopy.  At some point, someone muttered a half-remembered line.

"... high.  I mean, really, REALLY high!"

"Oh, yeah, haha, I said that about the Rubber Ball.  It's true, isn't it?"  hiccuped a squeaky voice.

As one, the balls and assorted nonballs bounced upon the speaker and thrust him into the lake. 

"NOOOOOOOOOoooooo oh hey, this isn't all that bad.  Kinda nice and cool, actually.  Nothing like that boiling cheese, maybe this planet's not so bad..."  were the last words they heard from the squiggly lined thing as it floated away.

Smodge13, aka the Lunar Cheese Mouse, Vanilla Townie, was lynched!

Night actions please!

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
Re: Within a Deep Mafia Forest - Game Topic (Night 1)
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2008, 03:12:24 AM »
Suddenly, the mysterious mushroom's power forced everyone asleep for a short time!  Well, almost everyone...

When the creatures and inanimate objects and strange entities awoke again, they discovered another one of their number splashing in the lake, floating only because of its odd pressurized suit but beyond anyone's reach.

"Uryc!"  the being cried out.  "V'ir snyyra vagb n ynxr naq V pnaabg rfpncr!  Gur ohblnapl naq pheeragf bs lbhe yvdhvqf ner hayvxr gubfr bs zl angvir cynarg, naq guvf vf n fgenatr naq rayvtugravat arj rkcrevrapr gung unf pnhfrq zr gb sbetrg gur rkvfgrapr bs gur zhfuebbz ragveryl!  Nyfb, gur fphz ner - "

And then he passed out of earshot.

Excal, aka That Alien Guy, Vanilla Townie, was pushed into the lake overnight!

It is now Day 2.  With 11 alive, it takes 6 to lynch!

Corwin

• My Natsuki....
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Within a Deep Mafia Forest - Game Topic (Day 2)
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2008, 09:15:13 AM »
Nitori, being a lurkish kappa, should go next. ##Vote: Nitori, YES. ##Start: Conversation, maybe?

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2008, 09:38:17 AM »
Kilgamayan- I'm not sure how the argument of smokescreening in Pretty Princess Day 1 is relevant...because Day 1 didn't even have arguing. On day 2, I again disagreed with you calling that a smokescreen just like I disagree with you calling Otter's actions a smokescreen. Yes, Otter was drawing attention to himself, but stimulating discussion didn't make it useless. Until that point, we had almost a null conversation. It was an argument over gamestyle, but there really wasn't any argument over votes that they could make. Additionally, I don't really feel like Otter has been all that uncivil; he's very aggressive yes, but I tend to equate uncivility with out and out attacking people rather than attacking their gameplay.

Nitori- Well, first vote of day 2 is for him! He's playing the same style of game he always is. I really can't glean anything from his posts, but at the same time, this is generally my typical feelings on him.

Corwin- On OK's note that Corwin's evading the rule could be a scum thing: I'm not ruling him out just because of it, I just find it likely that extra help might tell him that he was drawing a lot of negative attention by being so adamant about flavor related issues. I guess in the end maybe I shouldn't read too much into it either way because it's WIFOM area. What is standing out more with Corwin to me was the argument he got into with Ciato. Something about the argument seems off to me. Ciato jumps on Corwin for being rude, but I can't really see where he was being that offensive (Granted, not being in the middle of argument might make me view things differently), and they both said the other had bothersome phrasing without fully going into it. Also suspicious is that Ciato implies that Corwin pinged her radar because he put Andrew over 3 votes when Otter had previously unvoted him, leaving him at 1 before Corwin's. On the other hand, I've not exactly been so hot at keeping track of votes this game at all, and I could be misintrepreting the 1/3 thing.
...into the nightfall.

Corwin

• My Natsuki....
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2008, 09:50:25 AM »
Nitori playing the same way he normally does? Sure, although with a mentor that probably should've changed. When I call him a 'lurker' I mean that he lacks a presence in the game so far. I have trouble remembering he's playing half the time, and the other half I can't really see concrete, solid views on people from him. Ultimately, we tell the others about us the more we talk, and so going after someone who keeps to the sidelines makes sense to me, unless someone has a better idea here.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2008, 06:51:10 PM »
Votecount!  With 11 alive, it takes 6 to lynch.

Nitori (1): Corwin

16 hours have elapsed in day 2. 

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2008, 07:33:47 PM »
Okie-dokie. smodge being town is... fairly frustrating because I understood what he meant by his arguments, but he just phrased them poorly/wasn't really on the right track.

Dhyer and Nitori both focus in on smodge in their posts in vote him. Dhyer's post definitely feels less cursory, but both posts feel like they are focussing on points that others made while not really offering any opinions on many other things. Dhyer's stuff seems to have a tone of trying to hook people, but that's just sort of the tone I extract from it.

LadyDoor... uh... well, I find it rather hard to read through her walls of texts, honestly, but from what I've read, she seems like she's put forth logical enough arguments and tried to discuss a wide variety of things.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2008, 07:39:51 PM »
Oh geeze. It has already been 16 hours? Blar, looking over posts right now. I'd say, off-hand, one of my largest concerns is Nitori who is indeed very quiet and, indeed, very unmemorable.

Looking!

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2008, 07:46:42 PM »
I agree that Nitori is lurking, and while a mentor would advise him, the mentor probably could not force him to post more. Defaulting to LAL is good if we have nothing else to go on...and considering that only 4 people have spoken in what is approaching a full day, it might be necessary.

Ciato, do you mind clearing up my confusion about your throwing in the 1/3 thing when Corwin hadn't actually put someone over 1/3 the votes needed to be lynched?
...into the nightfall.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2008, 08:35:48 PM »
"Nyfb, gur fphz ner - "

And then he passed out of earshot.

Oh, damn you.

Dhyer: All back-and-forths of decent length will stimulate discussion of some variety, be they smokescreen or not. I don't agree that we were twiddling our thumbs at the time because Andy's gaff had just occured and looked like it was going to start a decent amount of discussion before the other issue jumped forward.

Also, I'm curious as to how you interpret the tone of the entire "Let me introduce you to someything called the unvote" paragraph, as I can't read it as anything other than deliberately talking down to Ciato, which is quite unnecessary.

Nitori...this is par for the course for him, but that doesn't really excuse anything. He was the third vote for smodge, a decent blend-in time, and it came right after smodge's quad-post, which is what turned a lot of people...it's worth a poke, at least.

##Vote: Nitori

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2008, 09:47:45 PM »
Sneaky work post since our tax program died and the boss is out of the office.

The "Let me introduce you to the unvote" paragraph is something that I could see someone misintrepeting as being harsher than I think it is. It's really that first line, since the rest felt like frustrated explanation. But that's just my interpretation. Also, Andrew's voting gaffe was 5 hours before Otter-Ciato started up, so it definetely had not "just occured."

Nitori...I shouldn't be giving him a pass on whether its his style or not because it then perpetuates acceptance of the few posts with little info style. Still, he already has two votes on him, so throwing more pressure there probably isn't necessary, especially since it would put him halfway to lynch when again, more than half the game has not even checked in on day 2.
...into the nightfall.