Author Topic: Rate the bad guys! (Spoilers, duh.)  (Read 43314 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the bad guys! (Spoilers, duh.)
« Reply #225 on: September 20, 2009, 03:08:03 AM »
DHE: Saro interacts with the plot.  Hence the "good for the era" hype.  To note it by counterexample...  DW1-3 all have the problem that their big bads are sitting in their invincible castle filled with monsters waiting for some hero to beat them up.  The number of bad actions they actually take, or actions period, verges on 0.  Really depends on how much hype you give to their army of monsters....  I certainly have nothing against a good "controller" or politician villain who gets others to do their dirty work for them, but I never really got the impression the various DQ baddies were the ones saying "Bob!  Smash the bridge!  Fred!  Kidnap the engineer in the nearby village!  We'll stop anyone from crossing and show those puny humans!"  Hell, Garland is better than this simply for kidnapping the Princess personally rather than outsourcing its defense to a dragon.

Saro runs around and messes with your party repeatedly, and you generally have a vague idea of what Saro's up to.  I approve.  Granted, he doesn't personally face off with you much...  but once RPGs learned that hero-villain interaction was a good thing, it does avoid the problem many later games have of "Bwahaha!  Hi!  I'm awesome and could slay you all.  Instead I will release this monster then teleport away."  (Though this is still way better than "does nothing.")

(Also, as for the tournament issue...  it's never explained, but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that he found out that the Hero's hometown had been found and went there to finish the job.  Don't the monsters you overhear talk directly to Saro when it's being burnt down?)

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 20, 2009, 03:50:09 AM »
If I recall correctly, Saro was in the area for the Golden Bracelet incident and did the tournament to kill time while his minions did their job. Once that was done Saro left since he didn't really give two whits about the entire thing. The game doesn't do a very good job of elaborating this. Still, it's reasonable enough -if you gather that bit of information- and a way to play up the bad guy as a badass.

This may have also been added in the DS version and I'm retro-adding it. It's been awhile.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 24, 2009, 04:58:07 PM »
Dragon Warrior 1:

DragonLord: 2/10.  "Rar, I'm the bad guy, watch as I sit on my throne and mock you!"

Dragon Warrior 2:

Hargon: 3/10.  Gets a point for having more than one scene, which is that much more than DragonLord had!
Malroth: 1/10.  Space Flea from Nowhere.

Dragon Warrior 3:

Kandar: Who The Fuck Are You/10.
Baramos: 2/10.  Basically Dragonlord MkII.
Zoma: 1/10.  Is Malroth MkII.

Dragon Warrior 4:

Saro's Shadow: 2/10.  Had to check back and...yeah, ok, this works for a bland, stupid, badly written villain, much like Dragonlord.
Balzack: 4/10.  Has a vague sense of plot and motives, I guess, which...uh...something?  This is probably the highest a Dragon Quest villain is going to get, preDQ8.
Keeleon: 3/10.  More seens than Saro's Shadow, so uh, ONE MORE POINT!?
Necrosaro: 2/10.  Replaying the game recently...no, he's just a bad villain.  First off, his "Secret of Evolution!" is just another way of saying 'Humans suck, we're going to become superior to kick their asses!"  his Rosa motive was just a sad attempt to make you pity him, cause all he does is rant about "Rar, save us Nonhumans!" and she doesn't even say anything (even in remakes.)  Fuck, he even tries to pull a "Summon Ultimate Evil Being!" stunt, just for once that's not the final boss.  I really don't agree with "Good for the time" cause...

FF2's Emperor was a better villain.  He has similar amount of screen time, and like Saro, active role in the plot...but at least his evil deeds were genuinely evil, and he even has the first "My Death Is Only the beginning!" stunt and what not.  He's a pretty poor villain himself, but he predates Saro I believe, and when you're worse than him despite coming after...yeah...

------

I should note the remake gives no indication of Saro's actual reason for the Arena stunt.  From the sounds of things?  Sounds mostly like he was just bored, killing time, and by the time Alena got there, he had better things to do.  It'd be one thing if he appeared in the Arena and said "I don't care, you can win this!" to Alena, but he doesn't even show up, so its likely he had already high tailed (he was, after all, about to invade Solofia's hometown soon.)

Really, DQ4DS adds nothing to Saro; I thought I was maybe misremembering a few scenes with him, but in truth, that wasn't the case; he's just not a very well elaborated villain, and what we do know of him is generic, even for then.  Again, see my comparison to FF2's Emperor, someone who got very little respect in this topic (if rightfully so...).
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 24, 2009, 05:09:44 PM »
Whoops, I knew I forgot something! Okay, this closes tonight or tomorrow morning, get your votes in now!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #229 on: November 08, 2009, 01:29:57 AM »
Can we get a revival of this topic? Discussion here was such a good refresher for games I hadn't played in ages.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #230 on: November 26, 2009, 06:53:38 AM »
Cause I like this topic. Results!

Dragon Warrior 1:      

DragonLord   3.666666667, 3 votes

Dragon Warrior 2:      

Hargon   2.5, 2 votes
Malroth   1.5, 2 votes

Dragon Warrior 3:      

Kandar   1.5, 2 votes (1 DNR)
Baramos   2.75, 4 votes
Zoma   2.25, 4 votes

Dragon Warrior 4:      

Saro's Shadow   2, 3 votes (3 DNR)
Balzack   4, 5 votes (1 DNR)
Keeleon   2.6, 5 votes (1 DNR)
Necrosaro   4.916666667, 6 votes

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #231 on: November 26, 2009, 07:10:42 AM »
Top ten highest ranked villains:
1. Delita(FFT): 9.04, 12 rankers. (3 DNR)
2. Irving Vold Valeria(WA2): 9.00, 16 rankers.
3. Dycedarg(FFT): 7.86, 15 rankers.
4. Charlton(WAXF): 7.82, 11 rankers. (Thanks Dhyer!)
5. Bangaa(FFTA2): 7.66, 3 rankers.
6. Jecht(FFX): 7.30, 15 rankers. (3 DNR)
7. Katrina: 7.22, 9 rankers. (1 DNR)
8. Reno(FF7):  7.21, 21 rankers.
9. Liz: 7.04, 12 rankers.
10. Rufus(FF7): 6.97, 21 rankers.

Top ten lowest ranked villains
1. Kresnik: 1.47, 13 rankers. (6 DNR)
2. Volsung: 1.64, 14 rankers. (1 DNR)
3. Zemus/Zeromus(FF4): 1.88, 17 rankers.
4. Amon(Lufia 1): 2.00, 8 rankers.
5. Necron(FF9): 2.13, 22 rankers.
6. Zoma (DW3/DQ3): 2.25, 4 rankers.
7. Amon(Lufia 2): 2.26, 15 rankers.
8. Daos(Lufia 1): 2.31, 8 rankers.
9. Adel(FF8): 2.33, 18 rankers. (1 DNR)
10. Mewt(FFTA): 2.44, 9 rankers.

Victims of Fate:

Baigan: DNR (2.2, 10 voters.)
Jenova: DNR (3.00, 12 rankers.)
Edea: DNR (4.8, 10 rankers.)
Beatrix: DNR (5.83, 10 rankers.)
Golagros: DNR (4.5, 6 rankers.)
Bart: DNR (3.2, 5 rankers.)
Celia: DNR (4.00, 7 rankers.)
Lede: DNR. (4.28, 7 rankers.)
High Priest Funeral: DNR (3.66, 6 rankers.)
Kletian: DNR (3.42, 7 rankers.)
Cid: DNR. (4.00, 3 rankers.)
Neukhia: DNR. (4.00, 2 rankers.)
Luceid: DNR. (2.25, 12 rankers.)
Nazeby: DNR. (1.40, 5 rankers.)
Hargon: DNR (2.5, 2 rankers.)
Malroth: DNR (1.5, 2 rankers.)
Kandar: DNR (1.5, 2 rankers.)
Saro's Shadow: DNR (2.00, 2 rankers.)

Victims of really sucking:

Kain(1.0, 1 vote)
Tunnel Armor(10, 1 vote)
Yuffie(4.0, 1 vote)
The Occuria(5.33, 3 votes)
Dycedarg's Elder Brother(10.00, 1 vote.)
Professor Daravon(10.00, 1 vote.)
Marche(10.00, 1 vote.)
Fiore and Asia: (2.00, 3 votes.)
Hauser: (2.50, 4 votes.)
WA5 Writers: (10.00, 2 votes.)
Ice Queen Avril: (8.00, 1 vote.)
Arek(2.00, 1 vote.)
Egg Dragon(2.00, 1 vote.)

Games ranked:

FF1, FF2, FF3, FF4, FF5, FF6, FF7, FF8, FF9, FF10, FF12, FFT, FFTA, FFTA2, WA1, WA2, WA3, WA4, WA5, WA:XF, Lufia 1, Lufia 2, Lufia 3, DW1, DW2, DW3, DW4/DQ4.

Yeah, Lufia early Dragon Quest wasn't a great rating category. Oh well. Let's move along and pretend it never happened! I'm also going to skip Lufia 4 since I think that may get like 2 voters total.

Moving along to a series I remember something about: Lunar! Hopefully there's significantly more to talk about with this cast. If I managed to forget anyone important, tell me quick and I'll add them in.

Lunar: The Silver Star / Silver Star Story Complete:

Royce
Phacia
Xenobia
Ghaleon

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue / Complete:

White Knight Leo
Lunn
Borgan
Mauri
False Althena
Ghaleon
Zophar

Lunar Dragon So-- *is shot*

Discuss.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 03:21:47 PM by DjinnAndTonic »

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 26, 2009, 07:15:11 AM »
Whoops, missed this. By all means continue it, Djinn.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #233 on: November 26, 2009, 07:19:27 AM »
Vote slacker!

Taishyr

« Reply #234 on: November 27, 2009, 03:16:05 PM »

Royce - 5/10. Present, had lines. Beyond that, Iunno.
Phacia - 3/10. OHNOES I R REPENTANTANT.
Xenobia - 2/10. Kinda just wasn't there.
Ghaleon - 6/10. I AM A SPOONY BARD FINAL BOSS. Works.

White Knight Leo - 7/10, though Mystere/Leo colors this.
Lunn - 2/10. RARR I TRAIN EVIL BABIES.
Borgan - 3/10. RARR I AM EVIL. +1 for bromide hilarity.
Mauri - 4/10. Yeah, decent for mind control.
False Althena - 3/10. Just kinda there.
Ghaleon - 5/10. Amusing cameo.
Zophar - 4/10. Space Flea From The First Scene And Various Other Places.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 04:03:46 PM by Taitoro »

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 27, 2009, 03:25:22 PM »

Royce: 5/10.  Points for the snake.  
Phacia: 1/10.  Less naked than the others.
Xenobia: 3/10.  Not as hot.  Seriously, the vile tribe isn't that impressive.
Ghaleon: 10/10.  I love Ghaleon.  I've gone over him before, but the short is that I like his style, his background, and even his motives.  He works exceptionally well, especially with his Lunar 2 appearance mixing with things.

White Knight Leo: DNR.  I guess...not sure if I very much view him as villain.
Lunn: 1/10.  Bleh.
Borgan: 6/10.  Not amazing, but at least entertaining and a good fight.
Mauri: Do Not Resuscitate
False Althena: 2/10.  Felt very unpresent and impotent.
Ghaleon: 10/10.  Still feels threatening.  
Zophar: 10/10.  Awesome.  

Lunar Dragon Song: 10/10.  The most vile villain I have ever seen.  Completely makes someone hate a game, nay, the entire SERIES because of their involvement.  So evil, such diabolical plans...yeah.  Probably the best villain in the entire universe, who completely fits wonderfully, and is the best part of the game.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 03:22:17 PM by OblivionKnight »
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 27, 2009, 03:45:26 PM »

Royce: 7/10. Royce is a bitch. But she is suitably spiteful and actually very menacing for her arc such that I do appreciate her. Also hot.
Phacia: 4/10. She... inspires nothing in me. Gets a point for being a traitor and surviving?
Xenobia: 6/10. She works for what she does. Not much else to say about her.
Ghaleon: 7/10. Menacing, powerful, intimidating where he needs to be. He works well for what he does. Motivation was silly but eh.

White Knight Leo: 8/10. Mystere makes him the best conflicted villain like ever.
Lunn: 3/10. He reforms? Seriously. After everything he did he should have died as a villain. That was screwed up.
Borgan: 6/10. Gets points for being HIDEOUSLY UGLY and just rolling with it.
Mauri: 6/10. I guess? She is suitably wicked at several portions, and her turning around to good was reasonable. Not a bad mind controlled villain.
False Althena: 7/10. Liked her last scene a lot, so I feel she deserves a few points.
Ghaleon: 7/10. Generally likable this time around, and still intimidating like before. Good redemption scene.
Zophar: 9/10. I love voice. What can I say? Zophar is the ubiquitious driving force behind everything. He is evil, he likes it, and I can't help but enjoy his megalomania.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 27, 2009, 06:00:09 PM »

Royce: 5/10.
Phacia: 6/10. Phacia had a shred of charm, which is good enough to propel her up.
Xenobia: 5/10.
Ghaleon: 10/10. At the end of the day, Ghaleon's right. It's retarded that Althena threw away what she was, tossing aside her duties as a freaking GODDESS(A literal one, not just a title) for her own gratification.  It doesn't excuse what he did in response, but I don't fault him at all. He's one of the few villains I've ever felt is reasonable.

White Knight Leo: DNR. Eh.
Lunn: 3/10
Borgan: 4/10
Mauri 2/10
False Althena 4/10
Ghaleon 0/10: I despite Ghaleon's return. It was unneeded and cheap.
Zophar 6/10.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 27, 2009, 06:56:43 PM »

Royce - I barely remember you at all.  2/10
Phacia - OMG VILE TRIBE ISN'T COMPLETELY EVIL.  Needed to make it work better, but at least I remember her shtick.  2.5/10
Xenobia - I also barely remember you at all.  2/10
Ghaleon - Had stage presence and was generally memorable.  Motivation... eh, 5/10 works.

White Knight Leo - DNR.
Lunn - Oh please.  1/10.
Borgan - Oh please Mk2.  1/10
Mauri - DNR.  lol mind control.
False Althena - Meh.  3/10
Ghaleon - Again, works.  5/10
Zophar - Space flea, sure, but he pops up every now again, making him superior to other space fleas.  Also generally memorable.  4/10 works.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #239 on: November 29, 2009, 06:51:51 AM »

Royce- 6/10.  Works.  Well, mostly works.
Phacia- 3/10.  zzzzz
Xenobia- 3/10?  I feel like I might be forgetting some of the detail from her stint as not!Lemia but I dunno.
Ghaleon- 6/10.  Good presence but feels like he spends too much time enjoying being an over the top villain to mesh with his motives.  Like... I feel like someone with his motivation shouldn't be so overtly evil, or someone so overtly evil shouldn't be motivated by such noble, or at least sensible, origins.

White Knight Leo- 3/10.  Leo the Villain is a rules lawyering dickweed.  Does not reflect on his later character development.
Lunn- 3/10.  zzzzzz.
Borgan- 5/10.  As completely retarded as he is as a villain, the reveal that, really, he was just obsessively in love with Lemina's mom is that right level of sad to make him an overall tolerable character.
Mauri- 2/10.  I remember finding her whole arc kinda offensive.  Memory is fuzzy but I think it had to due with hating how she affected Ronfar.
False Althena- 6/10.  VSM.
Ghaleon- 8/10.  This is sort of complicated.
Ghaleon's motive rant at the end of SSSC, while it does fit with the events of the game, in many ways comes out of nowhere because, like I mentioned before, feeling compelled to either resurrect or replace Althena because of a sincere belief that the world needed an absolute being feels very at odds with his general MO of murder, mayhem, and killing everyone in his way.  I think the a big reason Eternal Blue is a sequel, and not its own story, was they really wanted to provide a better, more tangible context for Althena's decision to relinquish her powers and go into more detail about Ghaleon's motives in the first game.
From everything we see in EBC, Althena could never truly destroy Zophar.  Seemingly, the greater part of Althena's magic is invested in her creations; in other words, by all evidence Althena's magic is literally the core of life on her worlds.  Just ending his reign of destruction and sealing him on the blue star required her to, in fact, reabsorb the vast majority of her magic to redirect at him, with the direct consequence that the blue star reverted to a dead waste of a world. 
However... what we see at the end of the game, with the party regaining their skills through force of will, also suggests that over time althena's powers grow with the creation of new life, and that further humans, as intelligent beings, are theoretically capable of generating new magical power on their own.  However, by relying on Althena's presence, this development was stunted, perhaps indefinitely.
In other words, a large part of Lunar 2 seems to be just saying "ultimately, Althena was doing what was best for her creation."
What I like about Lunar 2 Ghaleon is that, from the outset, he's seen that the world has grown in Althena's absence, and thus determined to safeguard it in his own way, while still having the same flair for the dramatic and hint of enigma he always had.  In other words, I think it's the right balance they should have run with in SSSC and he's a lot better for it.
Zophar- 6/10.  I AM ZOPHAR MASTER OF *FOGHORN*
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 29, 2009, 09:21:40 AM »

Royce- 5/10 Worked
Phacia- 6/10 Worked, one pity point for what happened to her in Lunar2's time
Xenobia- 5/10 worked
Ghaleon- 4/10 worked, but I hate you

White Knight Leo- DNR
Lunn- 3/10 Yeah
Borgan- 5/10 Funny I guess?
Mauri- DNR
False Althena- 3/10 Yawn
Ghaleon- 4/10 Inoffensive but really isn't needed
Zophar- 6/10 worked

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 03, 2009, 09:53:58 PM »

Royce - 5/10. Worked. There's nothing notable good about her though.
Phacia - 5/10. Same as Royce. The whole deal about her not being a rear end didn't do that much.
Xenobia - 4/10. She's like Royce, but toke part in far more annoying cut-scenes.
Ghaleon - 8/10. Stylish and manages to pull of being a threat. He has minor glitches when it comes to motive, but is otherwise a solid villain.

White Knight Leo - DNR.
Lunn - 1/10. He has the most nonsensical scenes. The whole debate over the blue and black dragon styles was painful, not to mention that the blue and black dragons already exist elsewhere. He shouldn't have been allowed to enter the tournament on account of being a criminal and frankly, arrest/kill him would have been the reasonable approach instead of teaching him the error of his ways.
Borgan - 6/10. I can understand "create my own magical floating city" as a goal and bigotry is very plausible. It was easy to see what he was thinking, and more importantly, what he was not thinking.
Mauri - 3/10 - I found her inoffensive, but totally bland. The only reason I felt she needed help was because otherwise Ronfar would have been sad, not because I actually cared about her.
False Althena - 3/10. She just kind off exist. The game doesn't mention her name which I think says a lot about how serious the writers toke her.
Ghaleon - 4/10. Well, it was fun seeing him zapping Leo, but he felt unneeded.
Zophar - 4/10. He does manage to look evil and menacing and all that. However, despite the story portraying him as more powerful than Ghaleon and more malevolent, he still did a worse job at actually feeling like a threat.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #242 on: December 04, 2009, 12:09:26 AM »
Throwing in my 2 cents before I post results.

Royce - 8 - Really liked her. It was nice to get some villain presence in early, and she was a delightful bitch. Especially enjoyed her scenes with Nash.
Phacia - 5 - Eh, I don't really like her, but she's better than a 4 due to giving the Vile Tribe something vaguely sympathetic.
Xenobia - 5 - Eh, I like her more than Phacia, I guess, but there's definitely some boosting going on because I liked her boss fight.
Ghaleon - 8 - See CK.

White Knight Leo - 7 - Favorite villain in this one. Works as a reformed PC, unlike a lot of others that fit this trope.
Lunn - 2 - Ugh.
Borgan - 7 - Funny. Liked his boss fight.
Mauri - 3 - I could barely remember her name.
False Althena - 3 - Doesn't even have a name.
Ghaleon - 7 - See CK. I think his appearances work well together. I'll be tallying these separately due to how I set up the voting.
Zophar - 7 - I like Space Fleas, and Zophar is one of the better ones.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #243 on: December 04, 2009, 12:13:30 AM »
Results:

Royce   5.333333333   (9 raters)
Phacia   3.944444444   (9 raters)
Xenobia   3.888888889   (9 raters)
Ghaleon   7.111111111   (9 raters)

White Knight Leo   6.25   (4 raters, 5 DNR)
Lunn   2.111111111   (9 raters)
Borgan   4.777777778   (9 raters)
Mauri   3.333333333   (6 raters, 3 DNR)
False Althena   3.777777778   (9 raters)
Ghaleon   5.555555556   (9 raters)
Zophar   6.222222222   (9 raters)

Not really sure what to do about Mauri. Is 1/3 DNR the threshhold for discluding someone?

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #244 on: December 04, 2009, 12:23:21 AM »
Top ten highest ranked villains:
1. Delita(FFT): 9.04, 12 rankers. (3 DNR)
2. Irving Vold Valeria(WA2): 9.00, 16 rankers.
3. Dycedarg(FFT): 7.86, 15 rankers.
4. Charlton(WAXF): 7.82, 11 rankers. (Thanks Dhyer!)
5. Bangaa(FFTA2): 7.66, 3 rankers.
6. Jecht(FFX): 7.30, 15 rankers. (3 DNR)
7. Katrina: 7.22, 9 rankers. (1 DNR)
8. Reno(FF7):  7.21, 21 rankers.
9. Ghaleon(Lunar1): 7.11, 9 rankers.
10. Liz: 7.04, 12 rankers.
11. Rufus(FF7): 6.97, 21 rankers.

Top ten lowest ranked villains
1. Kresnik: 1.47, 13 rankers. (6 DNR)
2. Volsung: 1.64, 14 rankers. (1 DNR)
3. Zemus/Zeromus(FF4): 1.88, 17 rankers.
4. Amon(Lufia 1): 2.00, 8 rankers.
5. Lunn(Lunar2): 2.11, 9 rankers.
6. Necron(FF9): 2.13, 22 rankers.
7. Zoma (DW3/DQ3): 2.25, 4 rankers.
8. Amon(Lufia 2): 2.26, 15 rankers.
9. Daos(Lufia 1): 2.31, 8 rankers.
10. Adel(FF8): 2.33, 18 rankers. (1 DNR)
11. Mewt(FFTA): 2.44, 9 rankers.

Victims of Fate:

Baigan: DNR (2.2, 10 voters.)
Jenova: DNR (3.00, 12 rankers.)
Edea: DNR (4.8, 10 rankers.)
Beatrix: DNR (5.83, 10 rankers.)
Golagros: DNR (4.5, 6 rankers.)
Bart: DNR (3.2, 5 rankers.)
Celia: DNR (4.00, 7 rankers.)
Lede: DNR. (4.28, 7 rankers.)
High Priest Funeral: DNR (3.66, 6 rankers.)
Kletian: DNR (3.42, 7 rankers.)
Cid: DNR. (4.00, 3 rankers.)
Neukhia: DNR. (4.00, 2 rankers.)
Luceid: DNR. (2.25, 12 rankers.)
Nazeby: DNR. (1.40, 5 rankers.)
Hargon: DNR (2.5, 2 rankers.)
Malroth: DNR (1.5, 2 rankers.)
Kandar: DNR (1.5, 2 rankers.)
Saro's Shadow: DNR (2.00, 2 rankers.)
White Knight Leo: DNR (6.25, 4 rankers.)

Victims of really sucking:

Kain(1.0, 1 vote)
Tunnel Armor(10, 1 vote)
Yuffie(4.0, 1 vote)
The Occuria(5.33, 3 votes)
Dycedarg's Elder Brother(10.00, 1 vote.)
Professor Daravon(10.00, 1 vote.)
Marche(10.00, 1 vote.)
Fiore and Asia: (2.00, 3 votes.)
Hauser: (2.50, 4 votes.)
WA5 Writers: (10.00, 2 votes.)
Ice Queen Avril: (8.00, 1 vote.)
Arek(2.00, 1 vote.)
Egg Dragon(2.00, 1 vote.)

Games ranked:

FF1, FF2, FF3, FF4, FF5, FF6, FF7, FF8, FF9, FF10, FF12, FFT, FFTA, FFTA2, WA1, WA2, WA3, WA4, WA5, WA:XF, Lufia 1, Lufia 2, Lufia 3, DW1, DW2, DW3, DW4/DQ4, Lunar1, Lunar2.

Wow... Lunn managed to rank lower than Necron.

Next... Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross!

Who should we be voting on for this? CT has lots of minor stuff, so I'm not sure where to draw the line. And, of course, CC plot is a trainwreck and who knows what even counts as a villain? ORCHA?! FARGO?!

Anyway, waiting for some suggestions on this before I open voting.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:56:29 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Taishyr

« Reply #245 on: December 04, 2009, 12:42:22 AM »
CT: Magus, Lavos, Azala, Ozzie, Slash, Flea, Dalton, Queen Zeal, probably best in order of arrival in plot. 

CC: Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh uhm ... uh FATE?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 04, 2009, 01:05:27 AM »
Chrono Trigger:

Slash
Flea
Ozzie
Magus
Azala
Dalton
Queen Zeal
Lavos

Chrono Cross:

Lynx
Harle
Miguel
Dragons
Fate

You can add Viper/Karsh/Zoah/Marcy/Garai if you want but meh. Weird to rank the Dragons as a collective but they're too important to ignore yet unrankable individually. Sorta like the Congressional Knights or the Gazel Ministry I guess.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #247 on: December 04, 2009, 01:24:55 AM »
Going with basically NEB's list. Adding in the minor-ish ones to CC, but feel free to DNR them off. Note that even with CC-level plot, most of them have more development than anything from the DQ/early FF era, and we ranked those, so I don't feel bad about adding them.

Chrono Trigger:

Slash
Flea
Ozzie
Magus
Azala
Dalton
Queen Zeal
Lavos

Chrono Cross:

Lynx
Harle
Viper
Karsh
Zoah
Marcy
Garai
Dario
Miguel
Dragons
FATE
Time Devourer

Vote or suffer the consequences!

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 04, 2009, 01:31:21 AM »
Chrono Trigger:

Slash 2/10. There
Flea 2/10. Gimmick.
Ozzie 3/10. Unfunny gimmick but memorable.
Magus 7/10. Style and generally effective.
Azala 2/10. Barely there.
Dalton- 1/10. Unfunny gimmick and not cool at all. Go away.
Queen Zeal 5/10. Entirely style, but she worked.
Lavos 6/10. He's just a faceless space flea or whatever the tropes term is, but he was a constant presence threat that transcended time.  Works.

Chrono Cross:

Lynx- 7.5/10. I'll defend Lynx as one of the few bright spots of CC plot.  He was a competent villain who succeeded at his plans and did exactly what he set out to do with a minimum of bullshit.
Harle- DNR, only remember her as a PC. Did have the Harley Quinn style which is neat.
Viper- 3/10. Old fool at least in the path where he is a villain.
Karsh- DNR.
Zoah- DNR.
Marcy- DNR.
Garai- 2/10. Barely existed.
Dario- 8/10. Very good backstory about someone who died and the guilt about it afterward. Way better than I expected from CC plot, and the resolution made sense.  He and the survivors just sort of pick up the pieces after he is uncursed in the world he survived in, and nothing else.
Miguel- I can't for the life of me consider Miguel a villain. You do fight him, but I mostly remember him giving you some plot backstory before getting killed.
Dragons- Don't remember.
FATE-  I know it's techincally Lynx, but CC plot is very hazy after Polispolice and Kid rejoins.
Time Devourer- 1/10 GO AWAY
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:15:43 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 04, 2009, 01:48:03 AM »
Chrono Trigger:

Slash - Fail minion.  1/10
Flea - Fail minion, gets half a point for EBIL TRANNY.  1.5/10
Ozzie - Fail minion.  1/10
Magus - Mmm... yeah, he worked for what he was.  6/10
Azala - RAR LIZARD SUPREMACY and then you make her dead.  2/10
Dalton - Go.  Away.  1/10
Queen Zeal - Whee evil queen.  2/10
Lavos - Worked, unlike most space fleas.  4/10.

Chrono Cross:

Lynx - Okay Lynx started off kinda cool as a villain.  Then the game decided that it was gonna have him go SERGE I AM YOUR FATHER OH I AM ALSO EBIL SUPERCOMPUTER.  Then I just went "what is this I don't even."  Then I docked him 3 points.  3/10.  
Harle- Uh... DN...R?  I vaguely remember her being connected with the dragons somehow but... meh.
Viper - 2/10.  Whee unwitting dupe who barely exists.
Karsh - DNR.
Zoah - DNR.
Marcy - DNR.
Garai - Man Garai you barely existed.  DNR.
Dario - DNR.  lolpossessedbyebilsword
Miguel - DNR.
Dragons - Oh fuck this bunch.  1/10
Solt & Peppor - Yeah sure they had a pretty good comedy routine going on.  5/10.
FATE - DNR, is Lynx.
Time Devourer - NO. (1/10)

Edited for SOLT & PEPPOR
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:26:54 AM by Random Consonant »