Author Topic: Watching any anime?  (Read 253612 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: Watching any anime?
« Reply #1175 on: November 23, 2009, 06:06:58 PM »
EPISODE OVER.  SO either there is an episode or 2 I don't have or this is over and I am bored.

Oh well, it wasn't bad, just sucks at resolution, so ultimately it really does line up well with The Professional meets SHoujo.  It was cool with young people shooting people like The Professional and it was full of dead end plot that didn't do anything.  Looks like I am missing an episode though.  Such is life.

You're missing six or seven episodes, which is a shame because stuff actually happens in some of them.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: November 23, 2009, 09:33:33 PM »
That doesn't forgive the nothing happening for the other 20 episodes of the series.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: November 24, 2009, 12:19:39 AM »
No, it's just unfortunate not seeing whatever rants the rest of the series would've inspired.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: November 24, 2009, 11:54:46 AM »
This is true.  Glad someone got amusement out of it other than Sopko (Because there is only so much it is worth posting just for his benefit since he knows exactly what I am going to say half the time -anyway-)
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: November 24, 2009, 12:17:04 PM »
Oh, I think everyone enjoys seeing you vent.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: November 24, 2009, 12:25:28 PM »
You just "think"?
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: November 24, 2009, 02:39:53 PM »
Gurren Lagann v5 -

This was somewhat superior to the last volume. Machine takeovers and more interesting-looking (albiet not especially interesting in other ways) enemies and some crazy shenanigans. Not sure it really holds a candle in that regard to

Gundam SEED Astray, the comic -

however, the plot of which seems to turn to whatever the writers thought would be more ludicrous at the time half the time. Very enjoyable. Not so enjoyable is the fact that X Astray does not appear to exist over here despite being advertised at the end. At least Astray R is available.

Gundam 00 v2 -

Okay the previous volume came out in September so I didn't really remember any specifics about what was actually happening in the show. This didn't seem to affect my viewing of this volume; whether that has good or bad implications is up for debate. The next volume comes out in January, setting a bad trend. I am currently hoping that this is a bizarre side effect of 0083 having been released in November and 08th being released in December and that they'll go to monthly releases for 00 after January, but as 00 is not related to 0083 or 08th this is a highly tenuous theory.

Ali seems kind of similar to Gauron. Let us hope that he refrains from going the same sort of places Gauron went. Meanwhile, Setsuna and Princess What's-her-name both have no knowledge of the concept of 'sensible courses of action', which is a little grating. OH MAN I AM GOING TO SAVE THIS GUY FROM BEING ARRESTED BECAUSE I THINK HE LOOKS LIKE HE MIGHT BE THE SAME RACIAL STOCK AS ME OH MAN I AM GOING TO REVEAL TOP SECRET INFORMATION TO THIS WOMAN BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO BE MY LIFE GOAL TO REVEAL IT TO EVERY PERSON POSSIBLE

Gundam 0079 -

Gave up on the subs I was waiting on and got the Zeonic-Corps ones. The ZC ones were somewhat low-quality at points but they got the job done. Entertaining all round.

SD Gundam I/II/'III'/IV/V/CA-

Okay. SD Gundam Mk IV has a Wacky Races style episode which put it as the standout leader. Mk I and Mk II are more skit-oriented than the rest so they're in next place; Mk I would be before Mk II. The set I was using was missing an episode from Mk II so it is kind of handicapped here. Mk 'III' is aways next, being mostly especially tiny episodes about samurai-theme versions of the Gundams, with one good episode. Then Mk V which revisits the samurai theme in a less humourous fashion - will note that I only had one episode out of three total here however. Finally CA languishes way down the back somewhere for being thoroughly pointless and generally unfunny. Again, the set was missing an episode from this 'season' however. All up: probably not worth your time. Except the wacky race episode. And possibly the good episode from Mk 'III'.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: November 24, 2009, 05:30:13 PM »
Setsuna really is kind of a total dumbass. Same with Marina, really. Don't worry, Setsuna sort of gets better in part two at least! And he's really good at killing things.

Ali... he's no Gauron in more ways than one, but still entertainingly violent.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: December 04, 2009, 01:44:30 PM »
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket - UC Gundam decides to hammer home the 'war sucks' point that it always tries to show, only this time it does so in six episodes with a civilian main character and having less action per episode than most longer Gundam series. This means that it actually works! Most of the complaints I've heard about it are about the 11 year old main character, Al, but being someone who actually likes kids goes a long way towards sympathizing with the kid.  Generally well-fleshed out characters and setting given the amount of time they had, better in that way than plenty of shows of its length. Bernie was generally interesting for what he was - a rookie who talks big and makes shit up, but is generally pretty scared and also a pretty nice guy - certainly a better showing than any Zekes get in most of the franchise. Chris was as much of a nice girl as I'd heard, and ended up a little bland for it but was good for what she was, since it was really all about Al and Bernie. Al... honestly, I've never had to see for myself what it's like for a kid to realize what the war games he plays are really emulating, but Al really did a wake up call that was probably too much at his age. He starts off as goofy as any kid, but ends up the only kid his age on the colony with a clue, and a lot of the stuff in the last episode showed it. So, the Gundam pilot isn't the main character, the main character doesn't pilot a mobile suit, and the second most important character is from the 'bad guys'.

Aesthetically, 0080 was pretty solid. Nice character designs, probably better than most of UC, and animated very well - it's a short OVA production of a major franchise coming from Sunrise, so this is no surprise. The dub was good, though Garcia was a wee bit overdone on whatever accent they were going for with him, and being from Zeon... why do these guys have different accents? Not the best voice direction I guess, but David Hayter showed that he can do more than just gritty tough guy. What action there was looked good and the only thing really gratuitous about any of it was watching a Gelgoog Jaeger fucking guys up, which is excusable because it's a cool MS. The one big point against it though, is the music. The opening theme was fitting and catchy but nothing standout, and its ending theme was just kind of there. The incidental BGMs though... holy 80's synth track Batman. It really did take something away from an otherwise excellent show... but not enough to keep this from probably being my second favorite Gundam series at the very least.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: December 04, 2009, 01:47:22 PM »
Yeah. 0080 and 08th MS Team are generally the only things worth a damn in UC to non-Gundam/mecha fans. They're good stuff.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: December 04, 2009, 03:56:50 PM »
Summer Wars- Easily the best anime movie of the year, barr none. Probably best anime of the year period. Even better than Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Hosoda is a fucking genius that will one day be spoken of on the same level as Kon and Miyazaki. 10/10 isn't enough to say about this movie. Fun, simple, full of life and personality and still holds up to closer inspection. You'd do yourself a disservice as an anime fan of any interest level not to watch this.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 04:14:58 PM by Hunter Sopko »

Bardiche

« Reply #1186 on: December 04, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »
Yeah, saw it. Shame my uhm, copy had some desynching errors that made it a subpar experience. Definitely intend to see the DVD version and if it gets localised buy it~

It reminds me so much of the first Digimon movie (with regards to animation), that I couldn't help but pick it up.

Also, that grandma is seriously badarse.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: December 04, 2009, 04:14:38 PM »
Yeah. We probably watched the same file. It still rocked. 

The Grandma was awesome, yeah. Especially with the spear.

Bardiche

« Reply #1188 on: December 04, 2009, 04:27:53 PM »
GRANDMA MARTIAL ARTS OF NAGINATA SWINGING DOOM, FUCK YEAH.

It was touching. I wept.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: December 04, 2009, 04:30:59 PM »
Hmm, talk of the best damned thing to happen to UC Gundam?  Guess it's time for me to make a post here.

Anyways, fiddling around with SRW:AG inspired me to watch Macross Plus again for what would likely be the first time in about 11 years.  Maybe 12.  I can recall that my thoughts at the time where along the lines of "This is neat," and the thrill of staying up until Midnight for it to start through four fridays in a row after accidentally catching a bit of the second episode in an earlier showing, and realising there would be a repeat performance.

Since this was also my second viewing, this gave me not just time and maturity to alter how I saw it, but also this time I could watch, knowing the revelations, and knowing what to look for.  On the one hand, the story didn't hold up as well, largely because I had forgotten how they had glossed over Myung's...  hmm, chance to speak clearly about how she felt about the revelation.  But, I'm less sure how I feel about that, since it's also fairly obvious all of that was not only getting repressed, but getting shoved off into a computer.  Not only not being faced/dealt with, but also pushed as far away as possible.

And I think that's my primary discovery on this watching, that Myung is actually the protagonist.  I mean, sure, Isamu's the guy we spend most of our time following.  But he's kinda like Faris Bueller, in that where he starts the series, and where he ends is the exact same place.  He's got a fight to win against the world, and fun to be had, but when it comes to change and character arcs, it's not his place to have one, but to act as a guide to others.  (Granted, in both cases this is as much because they are supremely arrogant and haven't fucked up badly enough, or lived long enough that they have reason to doubt this arrogance, as because they aren't in need of it)  But the fact is, it's Myung's victory over herself that's the climax.  After she wins that, everything else falls into place like a line of dominos.

Which brings me to the final thing that really came to my attention this time that I know totally went over my head the first time.  The music, and skill with which it was used.  The fact that most of the music tends to reflect Myung's inner state.  With Sharon ascendant, it's techno of varying sorts, with Myung ascendant you'll hear Voices, not just in the overt uses, but also some of the subtler background pieces using it as a backdrop to whatever is supposed to be catching your ear.  And neutrality either with background noises, or if Isamu's around and having a good moment, the brasses that sound when the show focuses on him.

So yeah, I think I'll finish with this final note.  That has to be one of the more fucked up, yet oddly logical reasons to kill a man I have ever seen.  I love him, so I'll make him happy.  He's happiest when he's cheating death, so I'll try to kill him.  He's good enough that I probably won't succeed, and if I do, then he'll die happy.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: December 14, 2009, 12:33:34 PM »
Éureka Seven -

Overall, fairly good. The quality of the first quarter or so varies back and forth a fair bit but it generally evens out as things progress. I'd peg the first Coralian episode episode as the nadir of the series. Things do start to waver again somewhat in the approach to the ending, but never approaching anything like that low.

Renton's defining character trait is his complete and utter willingness to fling both of his feet as far down his throat as possible at all times, which persists through to the end of the series. He manages to improve his skills in recognising this after the fact and dealing with the consequences, but nothing with regards to solving the main problem. Tsk. He also manages to get somewhat less ugly by the end of the series, but since ugly!Renton is the one gracing the case, this doesn't really help.

Eureka suffers from a reduced version of the same problem as Renton, but at least she has an excuse. On the other hand, I wouldn't say that she improves in the dealing with it sense much. To be honest, I think that their continued misinterpretations of each other as things begin to draw to a close detract from the theme of the story a bit. But then I also think that there is a disconnect between their level of maturity in general and the theme of the story, so what do I know.

Not sure where they were really trying to go with Holland. For some time they're constantly faking out the viewer with him acting like a prat and then revealing that MAN HE HAD PEOPLES'S BEST INTERESTS AT HEART THE WHOLE TIME but as he continues to act like this the entirity of the time he isn't actively supposedly looking after anyone's interests, that excuse falls thoroughly flat. Then he changes personality with horribly inadequate prompting.

Of course the queen of that is Anemone who at one point between times we see her apparently 'gained' a personality in a manner which is never explained. Previous!Anemone is easily one of the most freakishly annoying characters in the show, but Later!Anemone could actually possibly surpass her solely because she existed and this happened. Without the existence of Previous, Later!Anemone would merely be generally annoying.

In conclusion, the ending was a bit nonsensical due to the continual warning about what would happen if the object in question was destroyed but when it does get destroyed the warned-about events completely fail to happen. Also I'm not sure what Dewey's final action was intended to accomplish, but of the available options either it utterly failed to have the effect he expected, which doesn't seem like him, or it did do exactly what he expected and the show was trying to redeem him slightly, which isn't going to work at all. Whatever.

Zeta Gundam -

Halfway through this. Currently I can say that it doesn't appear to be the masterpiece that I get the impression people think of it. Of course, I don't appear to hold to the same viewpoints as the general Gundam fan, so this isn't really saying much.

Jerid is a much more likable character than I had expected. In contrast, Camille started the series a twerp, although he has improved a fair amount. Four had a considerably smaller part in terms of screentime than I was expecting, although this carries with it the bonus that I don't have to put up with her atrocious fashion sense. Aside from her being in the OP2. I guess it's possible that Camille has a fair amount of time left to mope about her as well, but he doesn't really seem to be that sort of person at the moment.

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: December 14, 2009, 01:20:45 PM »
Zeta Gundam -

Halfway through this. Currently I can say that it doesn't appear to be the masterpiece that I get the impression people think of it. Of course, I don't appear to hold to the same viewpoints as the general Gundam fan, so this isn't really saying much.

Jerid is a much more likable character than I had expected. In contrast, Camille started the series a twerp, although he has improved a fair amount. Four had a considerably smaller part in terms of screentime than I was expecting, although this carries with it the bonus that I don't have to put up with her atrocious fashion sense. Aside from her being in the OP2. I guess it's possible that Camille has a fair amount of time left to mope about her as well, but he doesn't really seem to be that sort of person at the moment.
This is pretty much Kamille in a nutshell, and part of why people seem to like Zeta so much is that he does a good job of getting better. Now, granted, I still have ten episodes to go myself, but I'd say it's the later parts of the show that earn it a lot of its credit. I can agree with it not being the great masterpiece of its reputation, though I still like it plenty. There are some fairly derp character moments, and very few of the characters deserve the hype that they get (for all that I can't help being a fan of guys like Yazan at times).

At the very least, Zeta was the source of many excellent mech designs, and I'm looking to get a 1/144 High Grade Gaplant in the near future, and if I ever lose my mind enough to buy a Perfect Grade, Zeta Gundam itself looks like a strong candidate.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: December 19, 2009, 04:01:42 PM »
I need to finish watching Zeta. Then again, it's been so long, I might want to start from Mobile Suit Gundam to get a good grip on all the characters. Then again, the only thing I can remember about the original is Amuro being a god, and Char's last scene with the whole ROCKET LAUNCHER TO THE FACE! (and really, that's all the original had worth remembering!)

~

Anyways, I haven't gotten into a good anime in a good minute. The last anime I watched completely was Basilisk and it was good till the end which was a let down. I am out of the anime new network so I don't know what's in right now and what's hot or what have you. Ayone want to fill me in?
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: December 20, 2009, 12:33:39 AM »
Hey, Ramba Ral jumped at Gundam with a grenade. That's memorable.

Acguys too.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: December 21, 2009, 11:48:57 AM »
Gurren Lagann - finished

Well, if you were trying to make me care about the secondary characters, show, you utterly failed. I didn't even remember some of them. But don't feel too bad, it's a hard thing to do - I can only think of two shows that attempt to do so with the same general idea that succeed offhand. Of course both of these don't attempt to apply it to so many secondary characters, which probably helps a great deal.

Actually, thinking on it, I was not exactly a fan of either of the characters I'm thinking of, while I was apathetic regarding the GL ones, so that may also be a factor.

Final battle moved a bit too quickly at times to tell what was going on. Also not a fan of starglasses or cosmic weaponry. The final attack was pretty nice, however.

Finale A probably should have been touching, but it didn't manage to be, and I'm not sure why. Ah well.

All up... it's really just a stock super show. I have no idea where the fanatacism is coming from.

Read Or Die OVA

Well, the first episode is fairly awesome. Sadly the second doesn't really approach it, but the third is a good middle ground between the two.

I am divided on whether it could have used a couple more episodes or not. At least there is always the series, but it is currently positioned in almost the worst possible place in my list of things to get.

Gundam Awakening/Escalation/Confrontation

Well, they tried to humanise Gihren somewhat, which was interesting to see. Didn't really end up improving his character much though. Also Lalah gets to die considerably earlier which is always a good thing, but conversely it also introduces newtype lamery far earlier.

The writing feels amateurish at times, for all that I really have no place to say something like that. I wonder whether it's Tomino's fault or Schodt's. It was enjoyable in general, anyway. [/blatantly offtopic]

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: December 21, 2009, 12:15:25 PM »
Gurren Lagann - finished

Well, if you were trying to make me care about the secondary characters, show, you utterly failed. I didn't even remember some of them. But don't feel too bad, it's a hard thing to do - I can only think of two shows that attempt to do so with the same general idea that succeed offhand. Of course both of these don't attempt to apply it to so many secondary characters, which probably helps a great deal.

All up... it's really just a stock super show. I have no idea where the fanatacism is coming from.

Yay, someone agrees with me. The main paragraph highlights one of my problems with the show, yes.

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: December 21, 2009, 02:30:30 PM »
Part of why GL worked for me is my general love of/good memory for secondary characters.

Granted all the guys who went kersplodey... Kinda forgot their names already.

Not really... fanatical about it, but I do find it to be very, very high up the 'stock super robot' list in terms of quality. I still found the part one finale to generally be better though, despite my Viral fanboyism in the second part of it.

The Gundam novels are pretty spiffy, though I've only gotten through the first and a little of the second before my HD failure a few months ago. Plan on getting back to that... eventually.

Guess I didn't mention Gundam SEED CE 73: Stargazer yet? Pretty spiffy show. Too short to care about most of the characters, especially the guys in the tank at the beginning and the other two Phantom Pain pilots. Sven and Selena were neat enough, for all that I kept getting vibes of Project TD from SRW. Which is probably a bad sign.

Fortunately, it was very pretty as well. The animation was solid, and the mechs were very nice - I can see why Strike Noir gets the love it does. Honestly, could've maybe spent a little more time on the action, as good as it was, but it's Gundam so they need to have silly things like emotions.

Ending was kinda lolwut but not actively offensive or anything, just... a little out of nowhere.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1197 on: December 21, 2009, 08:32:27 PM »
Slayers OVA Collection-  Aaaahh ha ha hahahha!!  Aaaahh ha ha hahahha!!  Aaaahh ha ha hahahha!!  Aaaahh ha ha hahahha!!  Aaaahh ha ha hahahha!!  Aaaahh ha ha hahahha!!
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: December 21, 2009, 08:51:30 PM »

The right show at the right time with a lot of exposure (due to Gainax) and a big enough budget to snag casual viewers.

Also:
* Shale Dragon Slaves CK.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: December 21, 2009, 09:21:25 PM »

Most of the GL fanbase has never watched a super robot show in their life and appear to believe that Kamina invented the whole concept of being hot-blooded and yelling out all his lines in an over the top fashion.