Author Topic: Watching any anime?  (Read 253951 times)

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
Re: Watching any anime?
« Reply #750 on: April 15, 2009, 02:42:21 PM »
READ KEKKAISHI BITCH.
So I've done a bit of this now.

From now on, when Soppy says this, add me in as a small but noticeable echo.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 15, 2009, 03:44:46 PM »
What chapter are you on? If you haven't hit at least chapter 79, you're not even into the good stuff yet.

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 15, 2009, 04:43:04 PM »
In the 50's and I already like it more than most stuff.

Which means that this is going to be awesome.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Idun

« Reply #753 on: April 16, 2009, 02:47:49 AM »
I finished s.cry.ed in three days. Oh my effin' lord. Besides redundant parts where they tried wrapping the storyline's discourse through constant flashbacking, I absolutely, positively fucking love this anime. I am a converted fangirl. Plus I cried during many parts of the anime. Plus I think it gave me a moral boost in writing my paper by not quiting and finishing through (Lol lame reference, hai). Now I'm confused at what to watch. I'm not interested in anything romantic; I've been avoiding Bleach with a passion. Blah.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 16, 2009, 03:39:02 AM »
Hahaha. Excellent. Curious on what your reaction to the last episode was. What genre are you interested in, I can steer you in similarly awesome directions.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 16, 2009, 03:58:12 AM »
Drop Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei on her. If nothing else, for the shock value.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 16, 2009, 04:40:34 AM »
Drop Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei on her. If nothing else, for the shock value.

This.  Very this.

Idun

« Reply #757 on: April 16, 2009, 04:40:35 PM »
Hahaha. Excellent. Curious on what your reaction to the last episode was. What genre are you interested in, I can steer you in similarly awesome directions.

Mecha really (But not like, Gundam Mecha. Bleh). But what's been recommended to me, like Kimagure Orange Road, and Gankusou  I really liked. So maybe, either action or good drama?

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 16, 2009, 05:07:03 PM »
Mecha really (But not like, Gundam Mecha. Bleh). But what's been recommended to me, like Kimagure Orange Road, and Gankusou  I really liked. So maybe, either action or good drama?
Any mecha examples of what you like?

Idun

« Reply #759 on: April 16, 2009, 05:34:15 PM »
The best one I can give is Robotech and Macross. I heard Gurren Lagan is good stuffs. 

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 16, 2009, 06:48:12 PM »
Gurren Lagann and Gunbuster 1 and 2 sound right up your alley at the moment then. As for drama... Planetes.

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 16, 2009, 06:53:11 PM »
The best one I can give is Robotech and Macross. I heard Gurren Lagan is good stuffs. 
Well it's certainly no Macross (as atmosphere goes), but it is very entertaining. And very Gainax. Your mileage may vary.

More in that vein... well, there's certainly enough variety in the Gundam franchise that you'd probably like something in there. Turn A is a good change of pace. Escaflowne and Eureka Seven are similar to Macross in many ways, and the Macross franchise's main man Shoji Kawamori was the creator and script supervisor for Escaflowne (as well as mech designer for E7). Genesis of Aquarion was another mecha anime he directed, though I haven't seen it - look up other things he's directed too.

I'll suggest Aim for the Top! Gunbuster as well, Anno's first job directing and the anime that put Gainax on the map. At the very least, you get mecha anime that actually pays attention to near and faster than light speed travel time dilation.

Idun

« Reply #762 on: April 16, 2009, 07:10:36 PM »
Ahh, okay. I've seen Gunbuster 1. Haven't went onto 2, but I liked it.

Gundam.. Gundam.. I know I've seen plenty of episodes, and it was so long ago that I don't remember all the names of the Gundam iterations, but I don't like it. D:

I'll look up Planetes and Eureka 7 for the month. Theeeeeen Aim for the Top and Gurren Lagan. I stream from rawranime.com

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 16, 2009, 07:32:42 PM »
My standard recommendation for anime is Haibane-Renmei. I don't watch us much anime as the other folks in this topic, but it's easily the best of what I have seen.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 16, 2009, 08:27:58 PM »
This is the part where I note that each different Gundam show is ludicrously different from each other, and that writing off the entire franchise because you didn't like oh Wing or something is stupid.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 08:33:10 PM by Xeroma »

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: April 16, 2009, 09:36:23 PM »
Ahh, okay. I've seen Gunbuster 1. Haven't went onto 2, but I liked it.

I'll look up Planetes and Eureka 7 for the month. Theeeeeen Aim for the Top and Gurren Lagan. I stream from rawranime.com

Aim for the Top is Gunbuster.

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 16, 2009, 09:36:29 PM »
This is the part where I note that each different Gundam show is ludicrously different from each other, and that writing off the entire franchise because you didn't like oh Wing or something is stupid.
Thisthisthis.

Also applies to most large franchises, but especially Gundam. Not many similarities between, say, Zeta and G Gundam; and quality is not at all consistent.

Idun

« Reply #767 on: April 16, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Aim for the Top is Gunbuster.

Oh. Well then I'll fill that in with Gurren Lagan now.

Anyways, I don't consistently watch anime. This is the biggest increase I've had watching anime, since... forever. What I've seen of Gundam was shitty, and I'm not currently interested in fishing for other Gundam stories at the moment. I want to be introduced to new series, and I don't think it's stupid. And anyway, I never claimed to write off the entire series.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #768 on: April 17, 2009, 12:26:41 AM »
Seconding (or perhaps third-ing?) the recommendation for Gurren Lagann. I pretty much abhor all things mecha and I still think of Gurren Lagann as probably my #2 favorite anime of all time. Pacing and characters are just awesome. It's very male-oriented, but if you liked Scryed, this shouldn't be a problem.

Don't know if you've already seen them, but I always like to recommend Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. Good action stuff.

Good drama? Berserk, maybe? The anime always felt more like a drama than an action/horror series.

>.>;;

-Djinn

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 17, 2009, 01:22:54 AM »
Oh. Well then I'll fill that in with Gurren Lagan now.

Anyways, I don't consistently watch anime. This is the biggest increase I've had watching anime, since... forever. What I've seen of Gundam was shitty, and I'm not currently interested in fishing for other Gundam stories at the moment. I want to be introduced to new series, and I don't think it's stupid. And anyway, I never claimed to write off the entire series.
...still kinda want to know what Gundams you've seen...

Which Macross series have you seen anyways? There's the original, Plus, 7, Zero, and Frontier, and Macross II, a non-canon movie. There's also the movie retelling of the original, Do You Remember Love?

Idun

« Reply #770 on: April 17, 2009, 01:46:06 AM »
For a quick Wiki reference, I've seen Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam Seed, Gundam Wing and the 08th MS Team sounds familiar. :P My roomate at Valdosta made me watch G Gundam.

I've seen (all of Robotech*), Macross Frontier, Plus, 7, .. . . the Plus movie (?) some of Macross Frontier(the moobie)  and Zero (can't seem to find good streaming sites w/ it). I haven't seen Do You Remember Love? I think I tried downloading it, but there were no seeders or some isht.

*Robotech - yeah yeah I understand there's some people out there who get fed up with Robotech lubbers. :P

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 17, 2009, 05:21:10 AM »
Well if you didn't like any of that, Turn A is about the only one that I'd recommend at this point.

I torrented DYRL? but I might have found that torrent at 4chan. /rs/ tends to have a lot of good stuff.

Yeah, go do Gunbuster 2, E7, Gurren Lagann, and the non mecha suggestions of Haibane Renmei, Samurai Champloo, and Cowboy Bebop.

I'll add Black Lagoon to that for now.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 17, 2009, 05:55:09 AM »
Naruto: Holy shit that is the worst reason for revenge I've ever read.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 17, 2009, 06:16:42 AM »
I'll add Black Lagoon to that for now.

Black Lagoon is not worth it. If you have time to watch its anime, just go read the manga instead.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 17, 2009, 11:45:33 AM »
I am not being especially lucky in anime recently it seems. Tru Mazzy is being somewhat unwatchable due to horrific desynching, the second disc of Tylor (which arrived last week after being ordered in November) is a copy of the first one. Exasperation.