Author Topic: Watching any anime?  (Read 253903 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Watching any anime?
« Reply #700 on: April 10, 2009, 12:44:06 AM »
Oh yeah.  I love it when you catch someone's hand moving down the neck of a guitar to play lower notes.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: April 10, 2009, 01:51:35 AM »
Oh yeah.  I love it when you catch someone's hand moving down the neck of a guitar to play lower notes.
You don't even have to know music at all to know that that's wrong... sad.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: April 10, 2009, 01:58:52 AM »
Reminds me of movies from the fifties when anyone driving a car would constantly have the wheel in motion (usually this frantic left-right-left-right pattern that would realistically send them veering all over the road) just to make it really really clear that they're driving.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #703 on: April 10, 2009, 03:00:46 AM »
I'd just assume, given how people that grew up in the 50s drive, that was just how they did it back then.  Everyone was slightly sloshed all the time, but cops didn't give a shit so a little drunken driving wasn't anything big.  Makes perfect sense to me anyway.

on-topic

Finally unlazied enough to pick up Vol 2/3 of Gurren Lagann.  Is forged from the purest veins of awesome by only the highest Gods in the mightest fires and tempered upon the sturdiest anvils.  There is nothing this drill cannot pierce.  Row.  Row.  Fight the powah.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: April 10, 2009, 04:32:02 AM »
Yes. Row that Nice Boat to the Heavens!

Nanoha A's, first four episodes. Is magical girl anime with action sequences out of a mecha anime and 'magic' that's pretty much just fancy... spirit using... technology (lolthatonequote). Granted, naked loli transformation sequences, but it's also lolis that can get thrown through buildings and then blow them up too. Non-lolis too, but the main characters are the 11 year olds.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: April 10, 2009, 10:00:20 AM »
Claymore: ...at this rate, I feel there is danger of killing off characters for the sake of killing them.

Nabari no Ou: I feel like to say the latest chapter is dragging... but the sometime say it is not. Maybe the artist is trying too hard to be touching and set up future plot to be romantic.

Idun

« Reply #706 on: April 10, 2009, 07:13:54 PM »
Watching s-CRY-ed. s.CRY.ed? Whicheva. Good stuffs.

Boyfriend made me watch three episodes of Bleach. Blehhhhhh, I'll watch it since he's so excited about it but I sorta-kinda-think-it's-overrated-and-whether-or-not-it-has-validity-has-nothing-to-do-with-the-fact-that-it-kinda-bores-me-and-the-fight-scenes-r-way-2-long.

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: April 10, 2009, 07:50:26 PM »

Boyfriend made me watch three episodes of Bleach. Blehhhhhh, I'll watch it since he's so excited about it but I sorta-kinda-think-it's-overrated-and-whether-or-not-it-has-validity-has-nothing-to-do-with-the-fact-that-it-kinda-bores-me-and-the-fight-scenes-r-way-2-long.
s-CRY-ed is the superior shonen by far. Bleach has some good stuff in Soul Society, but the pacing is pretty ew.

Suggest Buso Renkin to him at some point.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 10, 2009, 08:25:21 PM »
I'll get lynched for comparing the two, but Bleach has Monster syndrome to me.  I'd like it a lot more if they'd cut everything down by about 33%.  (Well, and in Bleach's case take out 100% of the filler trash, THEN cut the main story down by 33%.)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: April 10, 2009, 08:43:07 PM »
Bleach suffers from twin problems: first, it's based on something still going on, hence filler.  second, the manga also takes too damn long for anything to happen.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: April 10, 2009, 08:49:24 PM »
Ehh, I personally quite like the Bleach manga. It tends to just be one or two chapters on an individual character & their developments (two only for the most important ones - such as Urahara, when he's introduced) and then switch to someone else. The anime... I'd probably hate the fillers. And Bleach's obsessive fans still annoy the living crap out of me. >_>

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: April 10, 2009, 09:51:51 PM »
And Bleach's obsessive fans still annoy the living crap out of me. >_>

My problem with reading Bleach is that it just goes too slow.  I'll read it in batches of 20, but the fighting to plot (or fighting to anything, for that matter) ratio is too skewed.  I don't think it's right to judge a manga by its fans, but Bleach encourages fanboys in a way other big fightin' shonen manga like Naruto don't because every little thing in Bleach is made out to be a big goddamn deal.  I mean, Naruto got through Sasuke vs. Itachi without each character needing to power up DBZ-style to new planes of enlightenment too many times, but Bleach that kind of powerup happens all the freaking time.

Idun

« Reply #712 on: April 11, 2009, 01:45:05 AM »

s-CRY-ed is the superior shonen by far. Bleach has some good stuff in Soul Society, but the pacing is pretty ew.

I just wiki'd it really fast and skimmed over a few images. It looks interesting to me! This is a good thing, hahaha. Also, I found it on rawranime.com which means insta-streaming. Start now without him, or later?

Despite Bleach's fight scene (the one I've watched), this anime does very well in dialogue. It's entertaining, emotional, etc. . .

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: April 11, 2009, 06:29:22 PM »
Shonen show sucks because it uses standard shitty shonen tropes like every other fucking successful Shonen show ever.

Seriously, just watch 1 show in the genre and stop.  Watch Tokyo Godfathers again or something.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: April 11, 2009, 07:43:17 PM »
Why stop when so many shonen shows are so much fun?  I'm just annoyed Bleach has gone from good to bad.  There's nothing wrong with the tropes in question except that they've been overused to an extent that makes the show and comic dull.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 11, 2009, 08:02:42 PM »
Why stop when so many shonen shows are so much fun?  I'm just annoyed Bleach has gone from good to bad.  There's nothing wrong with the tropes in question except that they've been overused to an extent that makes the show and comic dull.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 11, 2009, 09:58:47 PM »

Seconding everything here. Just stop watching Bleach after the Soul Society arc, really.

If you like Scryed, you'll probably like Busou Renkin, even if it's as much a parody of shounen shows as it is a legit entry into the genre.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 11, 2009, 11:49:04 PM »
Eh, Bleach's filler is tolerable, though you can skip it and miss nothing other than "who are these 3 dolls?", and the start of the second main arc isn't actually half bad...but once Hueco Mundo kicks in, FIRE! LOTS AND LOTS OF FIRE!

...yeah, Soul Society Arc is the high point of the series.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 12, 2009, 12:00:08 AM »
so you skip the filler...so the series ends early?  works.

mia~

• miasmacloud
  • Denizen
  • bored rich kid wants to blow shit up
    • View Profile
    • http://srsfkn.biz
« Reply #719 on: April 12, 2009, 04:18:02 AM »
Eden of the East had an interesting first episode. Would recommend A+++++.

Sengoku Basara continues to be awesome.

Xeroma, one of these days I'm going to drive through your window and be like HI WE'RE PLAYING BASARA 2 CO-OP AGAIN.
This is how I will enter your house:

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: April 12, 2009, 05:05:04 AM »
You're gonna have to make that soon considering I'll be moved out of AZ by August at this rate :F

On the topic of SB it needs less Kenshin Uesugi.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 12, 2009, 07:33:53 AM »
Eden of the East had an interesting first episode. Would recommend A+++++.

EDIT: I fail
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 03:17:24 PM by TranceHime »
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: April 12, 2009, 01:24:24 PM »
Well sure if you want to watch remakes of the same show over and over again then continue to watch Shonen, but just stop watching them after say the first season/majour story arc because that is when they inevitably seem to go to shit in everyone's opinion.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: April 12, 2009, 02:59:46 PM »
Eden of the East is awesome. It's kinda like a lighthearted Bourne Identity. Animation is gorgeous, first ep is HILARIOUS. There's also an OP by Oasis, English speaking characters that actually speak English (no Engrish crap! Fuck you, Regios!), and an ED that was probably one of the two best animated of the season (the other being Arad Senki, of course).

You need to keep gg on that, mia. File was good quality
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 03:09:09 PM by Hunter Sopko »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: April 12, 2009, 04:11:20 PM »
Well sure if you want to watch remakes of the same show over and over again then continue to watch Shonen, but just stop watching them after say the first season/majour story arc because that is when they inevitably seem to go to shit in everyone's opinion.

Good shonen manga (of the narrow type we're talking about here) builds well on its foundations.  It gets better each storyline, and sells the reader on the importance of what's going on.  The fun is in watching characters develop over time, seeing the show's mysteries revealed, finding out what's really going on, y'know, the typical reasons long-form fiction is good.  Because this kind of thing is the genre's strength, short shonen manga often aren't worth the read at all, and there's certainly no point in reading something long if you plan in advance to give it up in the middle.  Bleach hurts because the first couple arcs showed a lot of promise, and that promise led nowhere.  More to the point, it's clear the author never had a larger vision in mind, and is at this point just making it up, badly, as he goes along.