Author Topic: Watching any anime?  (Read 253644 times)

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
Re: Watching any anime?
« Reply #475 on: December 03, 2008, 12:17:32 AM »
D Gray man Manga is okay. Didn't touch the anime.

Being a fan of both Yakitate and Beck, I'm of the mind that objectively, Beck>Yakitate, but in an anime club setting beck loses slightly whereas Yakitate being more episodic and goofy rises up a notch. I'd still vote Beck, though. It does rock.

WanderingMind

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 03, 2008, 12:22:19 AM »
I've only read the first volume of the D.Gray-Man manga and I thought it was so-so.  Allen reminds me of Edward Elric.

My anime club is going to have a Miyazaki movie night this Sunday.  We voted on Porco Rosso and Nausicaa.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 03, 2008, 12:31:07 AM »
BECK is a dirty lie. No one in Japan knows anything about American music that isn't Beyonce or Justin Timberlake. Or the Beatles, but that's not American.

-Djinn

Beck is more about how the music industry in Japan is stagnant and formulaic. (And of course, making good music and an awesome coming of age/slice of life story)

The band who did Beck's songs actually did one of the manga songs (Baby Star) some years after the anime finished. It's better than all the ones in the anime. Only place I could find it was Youtube, but it's definately Husking Bee.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdjXW-9RCW4

Linking Baby Star, because anyone who enjoyed Beck should listen to it. The video is just spliced together by the person who posted the video.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 01:01:25 AM by Hunter Sopko »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 03, 2008, 07:46:53 AM »
Objection in the presumption that Americans (or westerners in general) think about music more than Beyonce and Justin Timberlake either.  Really really passionate people about music are few and far between.  Look at the DL and its music habits.  It might not be Justin and Beyonce, but there is a very prominent trend to video game music which with how big game nerds is ~= the same thing (Video game music sucks in case you didn't know).  Edit - Disclaimer of course we do have a nice chunk of people that do give shit and really try with music.

Yakitate Japan is really funny, but I can sympathise with it being something you wouldn't really want to sink a consistent amount of time into.  It is something to sit down and just chain watch until it is gone, not to watch in serial in my mind.  lacks the substance to really want to watch it weekly.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Ryogo

• DOC!
  • Denizen
  • Somebody call for a medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 03, 2008, 10:34:11 PM »
I'm currently watching Lucky Star. I love it so far :)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #480 on: December 03, 2008, 11:17:35 PM »
Unless Beck is about Beck, it's still wasted potential.

WanderingMind

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 06, 2008, 07:57:46 AM »
I have a backlog of manga I need to read through.  Right now, I'm reading a lot of xxxHolic so I catch up with Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle.

Currently reading: xxxHolic 6
Current progress in Tsubasa: Vol 13

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 06, 2008, 09:24:15 PM »
Toaru Majitsu no Index- こ...壊れたのね 岡本さん さすが百合子ちゃん.....

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 07, 2008, 06:19:15 AM »
New Getter Robo
Euhh... why does so much of the newer Getta Robo stuff end up so disappointing. Can't really recommend a show where the best feature is the standard fighting music. Will concede that it does do a couple of interesting things, but on the whole really mehish. Also Hayato goes from insane psychopath to not-insane not-psychopath within one episode for no readily explained reason. Also non-ending. Also the pseudogore that I've seen it hyped for is far, far tamer than Tru Change's.

Full Metal Panic
Is pretty pretty. The story begins to fall to pieces a bit near the end, though. I found it highly enjoyable in any case. Now I need to wait indeterminately until the store restocks the other two serieses ._.

WanderingMind

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 08, 2008, 03:41:17 AM »
Watched Porco Rosso for the first time and Nausicaa for the second time.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #485 on: December 08, 2008, 04:23:57 AM »
So I ended up getting engrossed in the D. Gray-man anime.

It's horrible fluff most of the time, but the psycho Batman-esque villains are great fun to watch and keep you interested.

Also, it's another 'alternate history' / 'historical fantasy' story, so I'm digging the visual style, even if there's very little to suggest the time period outside of the aesthetics.

Also, Miranda Lotto is really easy to empathize with, so I suppose the writers are doing -something- right with their characters.

Still, it's ridiculously -meh- for how popular it is. That said, I still like it and I'm looking forward to the conclusion. I'm on Episode 43-ish if anyone follows this series and has any comments, positive or negative, they'd like to add/warn me about.

In the DL!
Allen Walkter: Well, Allen is pretty awesome. He has the most variety of moves of the entire cast - he can attack ranged, up close, multiple targets at once, not to mention his Hamedo-like blocking abilities. He's also got a parasite-type Innocence, so he gets immunity to Akuma POIZN! Special bonus points for having the Eye That Sees Demons, which is kind of broken. Being the main, he gets the highest number of kills, certainly.

Kanda Yuu: Despite being an ass, he's another versatile one. Mostly a close-range swordsman, he has a few magic tricks (and multi-target moves) that he can do with his Innocence. Kind of average on speed for an Exorcist, but his ridiculous recovery speed means that he's pretty durable overall. The team could probably do without him.

Linali Lee: Has the feeling of token girl. She gets magic boots for her Innocence. You know what that means - she's the speedy/evasive one! She has no real multi-target abilities to speak of, but she should get enough turns to keep up with the boys. Arguably immune to ground-based attacks while she's using her level 2 Innocence. Not a powerhouse, though.

Lavi: Favorite character, he's essentially the Big Guy, despite his appearance. He wields the Giant Hammer that grows larger on command, which while decently fast, he's certainly the slowest of the Exoricists. He's also the only one who can use more than one Element, plus he knows some low-level First Aid, so he's all-around useful.

Bookman: Finally, a Healer! He's the wise old man-type, who can supposedly kick some ass, but the only thing we've seen him do is Heal people. He's good at it though, which is awesome considering that there's not a lot of ways to heal yourself in the D. Gray-man universe.

Alestair Crowley: Vampire-guy! He's really a nice dude, and he only drinks Akuma blood, so it's okay. He has a parasite-type Innocence that takes the form of his teeth, so he's definitely a short-range, single-target fighter, whose not even particularly accurate. His usefulness comes from the fact that he's one of the fastest characters, that all of his attacks drain HP, and that they often cause ID on Akuma. Note that he's useless against non-Akuma, but being one of the few characters who can keep his HP up makes him useful enough.

Miranda Lotto: Her Innocence is a Clock. As can be expected, she fills all the roles your average Time Mage does - she can speed things up, slow things down, Reset an entire battle, form an impenetrable barrier out of Time/Space such that anything that passes through it suddenly reverts back to initial state of nothingness (okay that last one's kind of new). More importantly, she can turn back time in a localized area for a short amount of time such that wounds and other injuries revert back to normal. However, once she stops using this effect, all the wounds and injuries received come rushing back to the recipient all at once. Better hope you're close to the Inn.

Daisya Barry: Temp! SPOILERS! He doesn't make it to the end of the series! END SPOILERS! He uses a sound-based Innocence, so most of his skills are effectively ITE. He's also ridiculously fast. Not particularly durable though. You only have him for one mission, but he's memorable enough - and good for when you have him!

Noise Mari: Blind and as such relies on MT attacks. Slow, durable type who uses mostly physical attacks and not a lot of tricks (or personality! or screentime!).

Komui Lee: Not an Exorcist! He's Linali's big brother! ...and leader of one of the main branches of the Black Order! He sends the characters out on missions, but he can do some fighting too. Sort of. He makes robots (he calls them Komuin) that tend to be overall useless, but never fail to wreck destruction to the area. Since they are uncontrollable and often attack allies, it's best to leave them out of the party. They -are- capable of healing, which is nice, but it doesn't make up for the indiscriminate damage they cause. Could be useful in sections where you don't have a full party.

Finders: But a better option would be the Finders! They tend to be seen as nameless (useless) recruits in the war against the Millenium Earl, but if you don't ever bring them along, you're likely to never find more Innocence fragments! They can use a weak-level Barrier skill to protect the party or to stun an Akuma. They also make great back-up healers if you don't have Bookman or Miranda around. Unfortunately, they tend to die to a sneeze and have no immunities to Akuma POIZN!

Generals: A group of 5 temps that come and go throughout the plot. They are ridiculously overpowered and tend to leave just before you have to fight a really hard boss, so don't rely on them!

Akuma: They have a range of abilities and basically act as Random encounters. The 'Level Two' Akuma are slightly more difficult and range from 'pushover' to 'badass' as Bosses. Since Innocence is designed to be specifically an Anti-Akuma weapon, these guys end up with lots of penalties against the main cast. Some of the better developed characters tend to be Akuma.

Noah Clan: Sucks to be an Exorcist fighting these guys. They're supervillains without any real weaknesses. Since they're still actually Humans, Allen won't kill them (think STactics Kyril), so you'd better hope that someone else is around to land the final blow.

Millenium Earl: Well, I haven't reached the Final Boss yet, so who knows? But he's pretty badass and psycho in plot scenes, so I'm hopeful.

...That was more fun than I was expecting it to be. I had just wanted to make a joke about Allen being immune to Akuma POIZN! and it spiraled out of control to the point where I think I ended up making a rough outline for a D.Gray-man RPG...

-Djinn
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:31:21 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Pyro

« Reply #486 on: December 11, 2008, 11:55:41 PM »
ef: A tale of Melodies.

Episode 10.

;_;

It was expected, but it still hurt.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 12, 2008, 12:33:45 AM »
Ocean Waves- An early 90's Ghibli movie not directed by either Miyazaki or Takahata. A friend of mine wrote about this a while ago, and after reading the article I got a copy of it from him. Finally got around to watching it and it was... amazing. Very straightforward, simple story. Almost a cinema verite style movie. No supernatural elements, just a real story. Great characters, great theme, if you can find it, watch it.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 12, 2008, 12:42:37 AM »
Rune Soldier Louie: amusing concept (mage who is ackshually RAR brawler!), never goes anywhere.  Genie is a pretty awesome character, though.  Wields a sword that'd put Cloud to shame and actually looks like she has the muscle to do it.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 12, 2008, 01:23:36 AM »
Rune Soldier Louie: amusing concept (mage who is ackshually RAR brawler!), never goes anywhere.  Genie is a pretty awesome character, though.  Wields a sword that'd put Cloud to shame and actually looks like she has the muscle to do it.

I liked it, for some reason. You're right in that it doesn't go anywhere, but it also avoids a few of the worst harem type cliches. Louie was pretty likable too. Surprisingly, my favorite female ended up being the priestess girl.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 01:31:20 AM by Hunter Sopko »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #490 on: December 12, 2008, 01:31:41 AM »
It's also officially set in the same world as Lodoss War, but apparently on a separate continent.

Talk about diametrically opposed themes...

-Djinn

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 12, 2008, 01:41:28 AM »
Lodoss is actually a rather small part of that world. It's an isle off an actual continent.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 12, 2008, 03:36:30 AM »
It's also officially set in the same world as Lodoss War, but apparently on a separate continent.

Talk about diametrically opposed themes...

-Djinn

Mm, that makes sense.  I thought the goddess sounded familiar.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 12, 2008, 04:06:08 AM »
Genie is a pretty awesome character, though.  Wields a sword that'd put Cloud to shame and actually looks like she has the muscle to do it.

Pretty much sums up what I liked about the show, I think. I mean, it wasn't bad, per se. Just nothing outstanding about it.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 15, 2008, 12:06:47 AM »
Tokyo Godfathers - So sick day finally gets me a chance to sit and watch this.  Glad I did, actually technically a good time of year to do it since you know it is a Christmas movie but actually is good.  I am amazed at just how well Satoshi Kon handled a genuinely mundane movie (Sure the buildings dance in the credits, but you know, a whole movie without anyone walking through walls or featuring a cognitive split in reality as we experiment with the concept of the Conscious and the Unconscious mind through the cinematic medium from Kon is impressive!).  Really good movie and glad I watched it.  Stopped watching Lain for it because my mother was in the room at the same time and subjecting someone to Serial Experiments Lain starting half way through the series is just rude.  Mum really liked it. 

Good stuff.  Satoshi Kon is better than anyone else in the ... fuck it lets say better at it than anyone else in the world in the industry.

Bardiche

« Reply #495 on: December 15, 2008, 12:10:36 AM »
So you anime watchers, is there anything that's uh, sort of slice-of-life romantic stuff without being overtly loli and/or harem centered?

Basically I want to watch something that involves a guy and a girl falling in love and dating eachother. Can also be a comedic thing.

Preferably something new, since I've seen most of the old stuff.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #496 on: December 15, 2008, 12:39:59 AM »
So you anime watchers, is there anything that's uh, sort of slice-of-life romantic stuff without being overtly loli and/or harem centered?

No. Give up. It's anime, not real life. If you don't like harems and lolis, you're obviously in the wrong place.

That said, there's a ton of Shoujo manga like this, but most of it is not animated. Try Paradise Kiss if you REALLY need an animated fix.

There are a VERY FEW manga like this that are directed at boys/men, but don't expect to find one without some kind of mafia/sports theme to drive the story. Hajime no Ippo has a pretty heavy focus on its love story at times, though the whole thing is a little pervy when it's not dealing with boxing.

Of course, if you're willing to accept a series that completely throws away physics, there's tons of this. It's quite a common anime thing to write "A Traditional Love Story... in SPACE! (or in MagicLand/Parallel Universe/Post-ApocalypticDystopia)". For a good short one, try Voices of a Distant Star.

But seriously, name a shoujo anime, if it's not about Magical Girls, it's about your standard dating drama. Or both. Usually both.

-DJ

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 15, 2008, 12:43:18 AM »
Man... I was going to say the same thing Djinn and then decided it was to mean a joke to play...  But then I was going to say to watch Gravitation because it doesn't have a harem or lolis.

Seriously though, look up some cheesey shitty live live action TV shows for that kind of trash television.  Baby Sitters Club or something.

Taishyr

« Reply #498 on: December 15, 2008, 01:01:30 AM »
Man... I was going to say the same thing Djinn and then decided it was to mean a joke to play...  But then I was going to say to watch Gravitation because it doesn't have a harem or lolis.

Seriously though, look up some cheesey shitty live live action TV shows for that kind of trash television.  Baby Sitters Club or something.

I should hit you for suggesting Gravitation but the memories have been repressed enough.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 15, 2008, 01:22:21 AM »

Basically I want to watch something that involves a guy and a girl falling in love and dating eachother. Can also be a comedic thing.

His & Her Circumstances. You just described it in a nutshell (and it's got good comedy, too). Warning: Hideki Anno is in charge, which doesn't show in the plotting (since it's based on a manga) but does come through in the animation budget.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.