Author Topic: Watching any anime?  (Read 253971 times)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Re: Watching any anime?
« Reply #1975 on: September 03, 2013, 08:31:29 PM »
Anyway, excellent excellent show.  Was (pleasantly) surprised that despite the setting, it's not an action show. 

Man. Why?

Seriously, people need to stop making these "trapped in an MMO" scenarios NOT be action shows. >_>

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: September 03, 2013, 09:03:16 PM »
Why?  It sounds like an accurate representation to me.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: September 03, 2013, 09:52:54 PM »
Because a lot of the time they are basically just generic fantasy shows with a layering of the "it is actually an MMO" thing going on.

I actually wouldn't mind a show that really went more to the efforts to really get into the mindset of players, nature of online play, relationships online vs in person, etc, etc. Certainly room for an amusing comedy (ala The Guild) or a fairly mixed mood show. But yeah, it just always bugs me because they are pretty much fantasy shows with some gameism thrown in because "rawr it is a game."

It is goofy to see, but I'd like a more character driven show that is about a guild just trying to clear endgame content 'cause there's a real life prize or something. You'd obviously need to divorce it from reality a little, but you could probably do a pretty neat thing there.

</pointless dumb ramble>

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: September 03, 2013, 11:11:30 PM »
Well, the problem with SAO is that it continues after its titular MMO is over. There are elements of what you want in the SAO arc, Andy, done averagely at best. The problem with SAO isn't so much that SAO goes more into the fantasy aspect, but that it is an escapist/wish fulfillment fantasy centered around Kirito moreso than anything else. To a certain extent, the characters losing themselves to the fantasy aspect of the game is inevitable given it is literally a matter of life and death to them. They're living it, day in and day out. But instead of really getting into that, it focuses on Golden Boy Kirito and his Perfect Online Relationship, or Kirito and his Giant Awesome Gaming Penis. This subject matter would, admittedly, merit an episode or two's exploration if the series were doing an overview on the ways people coped, but instead just becomes a big game of house.

Also doesn't help that the Alfheim arc exists almost entirely to cater to Japanese fetishes, despite actually being (I think) the more interesting MMO setting/setup. It's a shame too, because I also really like the ideas they failed to explore in the school for victims of SAO, in favor of more mai waifu. The complete lack of any weight or tension, and the utterly unbelievable setup for the arc also doom it.

It's really what the show fails to do that makes it terrible, given that it even gives itself every opportunity to explore some of these ideas.  I'll admit the show has some mild entertainment value, on both the legitimate and hilariously bad ends of the spectrum, some good music and a pair of good fights. But it's just a trainwreck of lost opportunity otherwise. Kind of a representation of everything that's gone wrong in anime for the last couple years.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: September 04, 2013, 05:24:03 AM »
I... disagree entirely with Sopko.  The anime *is* about those people trying to cope with the psychological aspects of being trapped in a game of death.  Sure Kirito is the... narrator for lack of a better word.  But the SAO arc isn't about Kirito.  It's about everyone around Kirito and how the world itself develops.  It's a virtual ant farm and the viewer (along with the game's creator) gets to see how these ants build and interact in their closed environment.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: September 04, 2013, 05:30:39 AM »
Watamote (9): #dl the anime high school girl
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: September 04, 2013, 06:25:49 AM »
I... disagree entirely with Sopko.  The anime *is* about those people trying to cope with the psychological aspects of being trapped in a game of death.  Sure Kirito is the... narrator for lack of a better word.  But the SAO arc isn't about Kirito.  It's about everyone around Kirito and how the world itself develops.  It's a virtual ant farm and the viewer (along with the game's creator) gets to see how these ants build and interact in their closed environment.

Man, and I thought I went easy on/was too forgiving of some shows about their narrative shortcomings.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: September 04, 2013, 11:00:54 AM »
No one's easier than the capt'n.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: September 13, 2013, 09:34:29 AM »

Your assessment probably holds true more to the Sword Art Online light novel reboot than the anime. In fact the anime is a very watered down retelling of the light novel which somehow manages to paint Kirito in an even greater light than he already is in the story. The light novel, despite being several times better in the narrative department than the anime, also manages to get some things done fairly badly as well, such as the GGO arc literally being all about how Kirito is the badass who saves a DID (so badass, he can cut down bullets with a lightsaber at point-blank range), even if it is somewhat subverted a little when he gets IRL ganked and creates the setup for the Alicization arc. While I think Soppy is mostly correct with how badly the anime went I mostly blame the fact of its art and story direction, choosing which parts from the source material to adapt. Something went wrong there, mostly.

It really sucks too because it doesn't give me much hope for any extra stuff in the future, given how excellent Mother's Rosario was and how the Alicization arc is an actually reasonably well-written discourse of "Kirito is in yet again another virtual reality."
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: September 13, 2013, 08:58:43 PM »
I wouldn't say that for the Alicization arc.
The light novel really heads off into a really different direction in that arc, completely missing its point.
It became way too much of a fantasy story, when the point it suppose to address is how fragile life is when the server is its only container.

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: September 14, 2013, 05:35:21 AM »
I wouldn't say that for the Alicization arc.
The light novel really heads off into a really different direction in that arc, completely missing its point.
It became way too much of a fantasy story, when the point it suppose to address is how fragile life is when the server is its only container.

That was the point of the SAO arc when it was a death game

The theme you mention isn't something I felt was meant to be the entire point of the overarching Sword Art Online story. I don't think there was a point to miss there in the first place. That's just how I read it, though. With how long the story is running, it's really hard to maintain that kind of idea especially considering that it's only until GGO we even have a case of "die in the game, die in real life," and that was for completely different reasons than the plan hatched in the SAO arc.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: September 15, 2013, 03:20:34 AM »
The difference between Alicization and the rest of the story is that Alicization adds artificial life form into the story.

The setting of the UG being so fucked up was to show how something artificially created can be easily distorted and puts a doubt on the value of artificial life. But but.... everything just spiral into a mass after Admin is dead. The fantasy story part gets blown out of proportion, making me wonder why is there the on-line game factor in the first place.

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: September 15, 2013, 08:52:47 AM »
The setting of the UG being so fucked up was to show how something artificially created can be easily distorted and puts a doubt on the value of artificial life. But but.... everything just spiral into a mass after Admin is dead. The fantasy story part gets blown out of proportion, making me wonder why is there the on-line game factor in the first place.

Underworld could also be seen as a test-bed to investigate the possible viability of a highly-advanced form of self-learning artificial intelligence in a real-life situation or deployment. However, as I'm sure you and I know, that really doesn't turn out as well as people would like! I don't think the claim is that it can be distorted, rather that it will be, and human intervention of some sort is needed as it is in status quo.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: September 16, 2013, 03:32:08 AM »
Then it goes back to the point on exactly how much value those artificial life form posses.
But what really disappointed me is the novel goes down the super power route in the second half of the arc rather than dwelling on the more ethical issues.
The author just breeze the entire matter by after Alice made into the real world.
I was like "......so what's your point to bring the on-line game aspect into this? Just so you can fit in more super powers?"

The LN version didn't help either, by making Yugio a far more weak minded individual, rather than the determined boy who questioned the world he is in.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: September 21, 2013, 01:00:43 PM »
(Eons ago)

Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack - watched

Was strange.

Love Hina Specials - watched both

Were mediocre.

Love Hina Again - watched

Was horrible.

(More recently)

Gundam Unicorn - watched episode 6

Fine.

I feel like I would have a better handle on what was going on if I remembered anything more from the previous episode than that one character going insane. I don't remember why those two separate groups of people were on the battleship together, for example.

Maybe once episode 7 comes out it'll be worth my watching everything in sequence.

Persona 4 - watched through including NOIA

Fine.

Some minor problems, but generally competent enough. Don't think it would be too incomprehensible to a person that hadn't played the game.

Slayers: Book Of Spells (Special) - watched through

The Scary Chimera Plan was pretty much the best show you could hope for out of any which contain Naga, setting aside that the castle destruction scene ran for about five times as long as necessary. I guess the opening scenes weren't that great either, but once it got going it had me laughing on a number of occasions.

Jeffery's Knighthood was pretty good as well, but not really up to that standard. A bit repetitive.

Mirror, Mirror was good conceptually but they really didn't pull it off. Not helped by the fact that I found it impossible to understand what mirror Lina was saying. Could probably have done with cutting part of the lycanthrope section and extending the mirror section in addition to cleaning that up.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: September 21, 2013, 06:49:19 PM »
My girl has some thing called cruchyroll and we have been watching an anime called "Attack on Titan."

It's decent. Lots of dying which is fun. Naked human looking zombies too, and other things. 23 episodes in right now.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: September 29, 2013, 06:44:45 AM »
Slayers Excellent - watched through

A letdown after BoS. The fashion war episode was probably the least - the other two were fairly mediocre.

Appleseed XIII - watched through

I want to say that it wasn't as good as any of the Appleseed movies that I've seen? Still fine-ish.

I have to say that I don't really understand what was actually being expected of the eligible people, given the state of at least three of them and the fact that the plan was apparently going ahead right then. For two of those it would make sense long-term, but I didn't get the impression that there was any sort of time gap. Given what they were in for, I'd understand something like their minds being digitised and used rather than them going personally, but that wouldn't explain why they didn't just do that earlier given what was happening, and also probably doesn't make sense with the one eventually used.

Also, the build up in the credits had essentially no payoff. If that was all that resulted from it, why was it even being done in the first place?

I've heard that each episode in the series was done by a separate studio - I can't say that it really seems to have had much of an impact? I didn't notice any differences in animation style across episodes, or anything. I did hear about this after I'd finished, so maybe if I'd known about it beforehand I'd've been looking out for that sort of thing.

I feel that the final episode having nothing to do with the rest of the series is also a strange decision for someone to have made.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: September 29, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
Attack on Titan: I can't believe they turned one of the best plot twists with actual characters completely freaking out about it into a stinger that no one in-show notices.  They even had filler in the episode for sake.

Other than that it was awesome and a real fun ride the whole way through.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: October 02, 2013, 04:35:59 PM »
Been watching and rewatching RBWY over the past couple of days (after not checking up on it for ages because I assumed there was no way they'd have weekly episodes o_O).

One thing I've been doing for fun is...so the main characters each correspond to a colour, which also seems to have something to do with their peronality.  I've been speculating on which colour they'd correspond to in magic the gathering's colour philosophy.

(spoilers contained within)

Yang (yellow) is red.  Red red red.  With a secondary helping of red.  And some more red.  Not just because she lights herself on fire, but also because she's the lustful one, the quick to anger one.  She's the easiest to place.

Weiss (white) is a bit harder to place, because she's selfish--typically a black trait.  Considers herself the smartest girl in class--typically a blue trait.  But so much about her screams establishment and hierarchy and following rules--very white traits.  Obviously she's an heiress, but also she has strict rules about how far apart her feet should be, and yells at ruby for attacking out of turn.  She seems the most horrified at breaking rules or being late.  She's used to being the leader due to her upbringing, so she gets bent out of shape when that's not the case.  But once she gets over her own ego, she declares that she will strive to be the best minion ever.  Gonna have to go with white primary.  Does she have enough in other areas to have a secondary colour?  Hmm...leaning no for now; it definitely seems like her selfishness and attitude stuff was short term plot devices adjusting to a new hierarchy.

Ruby (red) is...well she can be impulsive, and that suggests red.  She seems more at home in the wilderness than in a school setting, and that suggests green.  She really, really likes weapons (artifacts) and that suggests blue.  She doesn't show a strong interest in making friends, which suggests blue or black.  She likes books, which leans towards blue but really depends on the books.  She really really wants to make it up to Weiss, which suggests that she's not black or red.  She doesn't seem off-put by the Shnee company's questionable labour laws and business partners, or if she is she doesn't hold it against Weiss, which suggests...I dunno...not green maybe?  But the real sense I get out of her is that she's clever.  She comes up with a ridiculous plan involving three people's weapons to kill the giant bird.  She's the one in class that notices the soft underbelly having no armor and yelling to Weiss to hit it.  She's the one that comes up with the idea for bunk beds.  She forged a ridiculous weapon herself.  Clever and inventive is blue.  Does she have a secondary?  Hmm...well no real evidence for white.  Black is pretty much out.  Green is possible, but I also feel like green is kind of the enemies they fight (forest monsters) so it would be weird for any of the hero cast to be green.  Red...well maybe; some of her contraptions and schemes remind me of ridiculous goblin inventions.  But I'm kind of not feeling it--the one time she brashly charged into battle there was a calculated reason behind it (she wanted to prove to Weiss that she wasn't a useless partner).  She gets angry less than Yang, and probably also Weiss.  She shows more passion about inventions than boys.  Like...I suspect she has a bit more range of personality due to being the main character, so we see aspects of several colours in her, but blue does feel like the dominating one to me at the moment.

Blake (black): Ummmmm...well she never shows strong emotions (not red, probably not green).  Reads books (suggests blue, but depends on the books).  Wants everyone to fuck off and leave her with her thoughts (blue or black).  The book she's reading is about a man with two souls fighting for control of his body (feels black to me).  She seems a little disgusted by the empire Weiss is a part of (black or maybe green).  In her trailer she's seen robbing a train (black) but shows concern for the crew when her partner talks about setting charges (leans white or green, but having morals can happen in any colour) and at the end doesn't stay loyal to her partner, cutting the train link (definitely not white or green, and it seems too calculated to be red).  I feel like I need more information on her, as she's been so secretive up till now, but black or black+blue seem likely.  I'm going to make a wild guess and say black, and that she's not going to be a source of clever ideas and plans with Ruby around, and that the whole books thing is more of a "fuck people" thing than a knowledge thing.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: October 18, 2013, 10:06:36 PM »
Durarara!! - watched through

Well, the first half was awesome at least.

The second half of the show feels more traditional/tightly focused, which was disappointing. Also, some characters seem to behave discontinuously from the way they were behaving in the first half (the ones which most come to mind are Celty and Shizuo). Also also, I didn't really care much for the opening act of the second half, although it was clearly necessary to set up for events later on.

Trying to think about it now, the first half of the show may have been riding on its various revelations, and by the time of the second half there was almost nothing left to reveal.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: November 07, 2013, 02:10:01 PM »
Transformers Headmasters - watched through

Terminally boring. Except for when the dub is being particularly dumb, which isn't anywhere near often enough.

Far, far too much emphasis on the Autobot Headmasters (the four 'normal' ones) themselves. Does feel odd to say that given that there was still more of a cast than a lot of other robot shows, but the Headmasters are kinda boring and have terrible powers and gimmicks. Fortress Maximus and Scorponok are a little less terrible, and the normal Decepticon Headmasters are less boring but also suffer from general Decepticon incompetency.

I like how those two characters are rebuilt early in the series but seemingly no-one else can ever be rebuilt (and they end up being barely used anyway, especially the Autobot one. Well worth bringing them back).

Also terrible is that the Dinobots are in one early episode but then never again (and bizarrely, the dub starts calling the leader of the Robot Train, Grimlock, which I'm fairly certain isn't anything close to being correct). The Decepticons get to use more of their old characters than the Autobots do, Bruticus and the predator one I forget the name of and so on, but I don't remember them actually get any lines.

Gundam Evolve - watched through

Generally boring.

There are a couple of decent episodes, like the GP-03 one, but it's really nothing to write home about. I was expecting something more like igLoo but with in-series units. Oh well.

Death Note - watched through

Pretty great.

It does seem like the second 'half' was crushed into less episodes than could really carry it, but without having read the comic I can't really know whether that's true or not.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: December 03, 2013, 12:15:02 PM »
Professor Layton & The Eternal Diva - watched

Fine, nothing special.

For some reason I was thinking that it might have some backstory on Emmy, but it didn't, which was disappointing. I could easily just be forgetting but I could have sworn that in the first game of the prequel trilogy she was going on about having some past with Layton that hasn't been gone into yet. I guess it could always be brought up again in Azran Legacy. Just... the movie was out around the same time as the first one rather than AL's being years later, so I thought...

Transformers: Super-God Masterforce

Surprisingly good. Not very transformersy though. Maybe the two are related!

Given how terrible Headmasters was I didn't have much hope for Masterforce, and despite a reasonable start it quickly brought in the Headmaster Juniors and things started rapidly spiralling downhill - but then it bounced back pretty fastish once the Godmasters started showing up. Despite them being conceptually dumber than the Headmasters. If placed against the entirety of the original cartoon, I'd probably say that Masterforce is a better show? But if it was just against the pre-movie seasons, it'd be a more difficult choice.

I'm not sure why the Headmaster Juniors were even made to be Headmasters (merchandising reasons excluded) given that they never do the whole head-swapping thing, which kind of renders the gimmick and their stat displays pointless.

King Poseidon is TERRIBLE. Way to hype it up for ages in the bumper only for it to be so incompetent & fragile. Of course, it is made out of Seacons...

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: December 18, 2013, 05:00:36 AM »
Gundam Build Fighters: For a show that is literally "BUY GUNDAM PLASTIC MODELS" it is remarkably solid and fun.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: December 18, 2013, 10:24:25 PM »
Steins;Gate: The Burden of Deja Vu- Excellent movie. Not entirely necessary, but fantastic nonetheless! S;G fans should watch it.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: January 24, 2014, 11:13:09 PM »
Transformers Victory - watched through

Worse than Masterforce. Better than Headmasters, but pretty much only because it wasn't as sleep-inducing. Sadly there aren't really any moments of hilarious dubbing like in Headmasters.

I guess Deathzanras is more entertaining than Scorponok, and the Dinoforce and Breastforce are more memorable than whoever the non-major Decepticons were again in Headmasters, but most of the Autobots are just as forgettable as the ones from Headmasters.

Transformers Zone - watched

Hard to say much about it since they only made the one episode, and it's not very long. Fancy new autobots that we don't learn much about destroy a bunch of fancy resurrected decepticon combiners that we don't learn much about and save the zodiac stone that we don't learn much about. Could possibly have been something if it was given a lot more time to be something in.

The humans are better than the ones from Victory at least??

Berserk Movies - watched Egg and Doldrey

Maybe it's just because it's been so long since I watched the series, but I don't think I've really seen anything new so far? I was expecting there to be backstory to the characters that essentially came out of nowhere in the series at least.

I guess what I have to worry about now is whether I should buy the third movie when it comes out or whether I should not buy it and just act like Doldrey ended at the parting scene.