Register

Author Topic: Watching any anime?  (Read 253813 times)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Re: Watching any anime?
« Reply #1775 on: August 16, 2011, 04:51:02 PM »
Pumpkin Scissors: I was enjoying it until the last 5 episodes. Then the pacing slowed to a crawl and they resolved nothing.

Props for having the nobles stand up for themselves, though.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: August 19, 2011, 01:13:05 PM »
Jesus, Twil. You're watching all the anime I'm not.

Now watch:
Baccano
Paprika

Chop chop.

Okay!

Baccano - Finished

It's incredible. Very entertaining.

Quite a bit left unexplained, even after the Graham episodes.

Have to say that I didn't even realise that Ronnie was a recurring character (if I ever noticed them, I assigned them to position of generic gang member), let alone who they actually were, until reading up on things later. To the extent that I thought the character involved in the related revelation was a somewhat off-model Luck instead.

Waiting for them to bring out a full set of Durarara before picking that up rather than the individual volumes they have going at the moment.

Paprika - Watched

Fairly good. Millennium Actress was better.

Found it getting a bit hard to follow near the end, mostly in parts which involved the chairman.

- Update -
TO - Watched

Elliptical Orbit was okay. The minor twist at the end and the setup for it throughout were somewhat pointless. The terrorism parts were fine enough.

Symbiotic Planet was kind of dumb with the out-of-place warmongering and the rebellious youths and the spores being able to breach anticontamination walls and environmental suits despite them apparently not having done so up until now.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:57:26 AM by Twilkitri »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: August 26, 2011, 06:33:05 AM »
Eden of the East: Fun stuff, although some utterly bizzare stuff that is not reconciled crops up. More immediate plot emerges a bit late and is wrapped up quickly. Which leads to...

Eden of the East: The King of Eden: See the above, without any conclusion, really.

Samurai 7: Should probably have ended with the bandits.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: August 26, 2011, 09:37:20 AM »
Revolutionary Girl Utena - cowbell cowbell cowbell cowbell cowbell cowbell cowbell cowbell cowbell cowbell i wanna wear a cowbell

ONLY TERRIBLE PEOPLE CAN REVOLUTIONIZE THE WORLD
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 01:14:18 AM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: September 03, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »
TOA: Only You - Watched

Nothing spectacular. They didn't really do enough of anything with the concept of a person taking Ataru's game to the next level, and in fact didn't really sell them as being worse than him at all.

Maybe it's just been too long since I was watching the show, but Ataru seemed somewhat worse than usual.

Also sticking in my mind is that there weren't really any consequences resulting from actions which were taken in the escape/kidnapping from the devil mothership. For all that actions often go unconsequenced anyway.

House Of Five Leaves - Watched

Entertaining. Depressingly cannot think of anything specific to say about it so I am just going to cop out.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: September 14, 2011, 05:31:17 AM »
Ender's Game: the Anime Macross Frontier - watched.

Well, this was a lot better than I would have thought it could be, by which I mean it manages simultaneously to be good and unapologetically Macross.  Excellent combat, catchy music, a solid cast, and a plot that does about as good of a job as you could expect of making a show about the application of singing to interstellar warfare not be dumb.  A couple minor gripes - the male lead ain't dumb, but he feels a bit inconsistent.  And the two major villains needed to stop chewing the scenery.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: September 18, 2011, 07:12:59 AM »
Durarara Volume 10 - Good god, finally!! What I have always wanted to happen to Izaya finally became real!!! The sorry excuse of evil mastermind wannabe who is just a troll finally got out evil by the real bid bad and got paste to the floor. Good job Kujiragi, who would have thought you had Saika in your sleeve. I can't expect what nasty things you can do to him now in the next volume....

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: September 18, 2011, 09:58:12 PM »
Tiger and Bunny:

Good god, people, WATCH THIS ALREADY. The show finished up, and I can safely say that if you don't watch this show you are a person who dislikes fun, good times, excitement, and things that human beings are programmed to like by a higher power.

Watch this show. Avatar incoming.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: September 19, 2011, 01:18:17 AM »
Tiger and Bunny:

Good god, people, WATCH THIS ALREADY. The show finished up, and I can safely say that if you don't watch this show you are a person who dislikes fun, good times, excitement, and things that human beings are programmed to like by a higher power.

I DID watch it thank you very much.  I even put off playing Record of Agarest War to watch the finale!  Then I realized the PS3 cables were missing.  Wait, what was I talking about?

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: September 19, 2011, 07:00:08 AM »
How you are awesome? And watched T&B despite having something else to do?

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: September 19, 2011, 09:47:39 PM »
Ouran Host Club: Anime could benefit from deciding to have a plot sometime before the last two episodes. Enjoyable, though.

Summer Wars: Excellent. Excellent.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: September 19, 2011, 10:10:48 PM »
How you are awesome? And watched T&B despite having something else to do?

Indeed!  My life is a fast-lane pace of adventure and things!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: September 19, 2011, 10:33:18 PM »
Macross DYRL.  Boring.  The scene where whatsisname and Minmei are playing around in zero G is charming, but that's about it.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: September 19, 2011, 11:42:31 PM »
Tiger and Bunny:

Good god, people, WATCH THIS ALREADY. The show finished up, and I can safely say that if you don't watch this show you are a person who yaoi, yaoi, yaoi, and things that yaoi fans are programmed to like by a higher power.

Fixed.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: September 21, 2011, 02:20:37 PM »
Canaan - Watched through

Starts off overly confusing, things generally come together eventually though. I think that some amount of my early confusion may have been due to conflating Alphard and that other woman I forget the name of. The psychotic one. Rather than inherent to the show.

Alphard's non-business motivations are either beyond me or just inane. Don't understand what she was trying to achieve with regards to Canaan at all. I don't feel that stock simple ultimate-rivalry really matches her character.

Not happy that they resolved the impossible trainbomb situation offscreen and never explained it.

Was fairly enjoyable over all.

Gundam 00: A Wakening Of The Trailblazer - Watched

Did not have the best ending ever. Postcredits is a bit better but doesn't actually explain any of the unexplained from the regular ending.

Raphael was pretty dandy.

Didn't have any particularly egregious empathymagic moments which is always a plus. Better if it didn't have any at all, but after 00S2 that really wasn't likely to happen.

So I'm thinking that there wasn't really much point to the Colony Corporation scenes.

Those Obnoxious Aliens - Episodes 107 through 115

Not the best batch of episodes of all time. Steel Cage Flower Viewing Deathmatch and Raiders Of The Lost Mendou stand out considerably above the others, and even they suffer from gratuitous non-ending and unnecessarily naughty tentacles, respectively.

Parallel world episode suffers from Lum not figuring out what was going on for half the episode despite her technobabble about it at the start. Inverse-gender world was pretty amusing though.

Rugby episode needs to be burned.

Lipstick episode had potential but they wasted it all.

Rest of them were mediocre to unremarkable.

Current op and ed tracks are fine, but the visuals aren't. Will there ever be one worthy of nominating for a followup op/ed a/v tournament.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: September 21, 2011, 03:01:16 PM »
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time: Excellent. Excellent. Needed a head trauma counter, though.

Also, I have honestly never seen a shoe wreck somebody's shit that hard.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: September 24, 2011, 02:49:35 PM »
Tiger & Bunny: Thisis less of an anime and more of a Saturday morning cartoon show in style honestly. It has some of the tropes that anime likes to use (tsundere girl, dark and troubled past of a prettyboy 'badass', etc...), but by focusing on the surprisingly refreshing "experienced" mid-to-late 30's hero Tiger, it puts a fresh twist on such things and allows them to feel more like entertaining parodies than serious drags on the show.

The ending to the show was rather unsatisfying, but honestly it was still amusing enough to be likable.

Blood C: This show has always been about dull plot and good action, but Ep 11 decided to turn that on it's head with no action but a fair amount of predictable but actually well-executed plot. If you had told me that I would enjoy an all-dialog ep of Blood C a week ago I would have laughed in your face, but it's amazing what turning the premise of the series on it's head will do for you. This twist has been hinted at frequently, but the full-throttle no-holds-barred nature of it's execution and the change in tone of the narrative makes it surprisingly good! I think this may be the only series I've seen that is going to end up Killing off the entire supporting cast in horrific ways, bringing them back, making them ASSHOLES, and then killing them off again just so you can cheer this time. I still want the twins to live because they are entertaining as hell, but yeah.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: October 09, 2011, 07:12:01 AM »
Tiger & Bunny:  Honestly this was pretty bad at the beginning.  But it picked up around the Jake Martinez arc, and by the end it was damned good.  I can imagine people not getting that far though because of the weak opening episodes.

Musically, both ending themes were great and both opening themes were meh.

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: October 11, 2011, 07:20:26 AM »
Steins Gate Episode 9: did she really just say that?

Falls into an unbreakable love with this shows dialogue.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: October 12, 2011, 04:20:40 AM »
Steins; Gate is a great show when it comes to dialog. Which is good because it relies on it quite a bit!

Blood C: This show is just bad. Way too much gore without a real purpose. It's not even shock value, it's just... gore for the cheesy horror movie style. What the hell? Avoid this unless the thought of people being thrown into a blender appeals to you for some demented reason. I can understand horror of a certain style being used for dramatic effect, but come on.

Started watching shows from the new season to get a feel for them, but we'll see how they stack up. Shana 3 could be interesting just for the premise of turning the two leads against each other. Mirai Nikki is infamous so may be worth a watch. Some other shows are showing promise.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: October 12, 2011, 04:29:00 AM »
Tiger and Bunny: Sky High is amazing.

Vid

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: October 12, 2011, 05:03:07 PM »
Blood-C's real hope will hopefully lie within the coming movie. I can see that one becoming interesting as hell. Though personally I sort of enjoyed the pointless slaughter in Blood-C; not so much the "Story" or its characters.

Been watching a bit from this season (gotta start the rest soon) and so far: Fate/Zero: <333333

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: October 13, 2011, 12:28:33 AM »
Blood C: This show is just bad. Way too much gore without a real purpose. It's not even shock value, it's just... gore for the cheesy horror movie style. What the hell? Avoid this unless the thought of people being thrown into a blender appeals to you for some demented reason. I can understand horror of a certain style being used for dramatic effect, but come on.

You said the show was bad and then pointed out the best part of the show.

Of course the show is still bad.

Also human blender was pretty funny.

But the show is still bad.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: October 13, 2011, 08:12:01 AM »
posting here because Steins;Gate is good and everyone should watch it. watch it.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: October 17, 2011, 02:32:48 AM »
So I went to NYComicCon and ignored all the comics stuff but it's still merged with the NY Anime Festival, and it had pro vidja gaming there too, so sure.  Saw / got me some new anime.

* Fate Zero: They had the first episode subtitled (legal I guess then!).  I never saw any of Fate / Stay Night and have 0 interest in doing so - Tsukihime was a noble failure, and Stay Night was apparently 26 torturous episodes of nothing happening combined with anime romance to generate mana.  However, this has Ufotable doing it, and I like Kara no Kyokai.  More importantly, I suspect I will like the cast way more.  Rather than lame high school anime leads vs. a killer loli, a bunch of experienced badasses duking it out?  And two of them are even married so they have families on the line?  Awesome.  Okay, we do have one seeming high schooler, but it looks like they're setting him up for a fall, and he seems interesting enough anyway.  Emiya seems pretty cool too, for all that it's hard to tell if he'll be able to live up to all the hype given to him - the maybe-retired unorthodox assassin who takes on even mages but whose wife thinks has a hidden heart of gold, and has the straight-up knightly summon?  Could be awesome.  The inquistor and the mage seem like an imposing enough teamup.  Angsty dude with bugs struck me as the most lame, but whatever, 4/5 ain't bad.

One thing that will swing my interest in it: how many episodes do they plan to make?  The correct answer is hopefully "13 or fewer."  The Holy Grail War is basically Highlander, right?  You shouldn't stretch that out forever.  People fight it out and then everybody else dies or concedes and then somebody collects ultimate power (which they apparently do very much with since the world situation isn't substantially different 9 years later.)

* Sunrise panel: There really wasn't much else to go to at 12.  Lots of Gundam hype, yawn, whatever, a little Tiger & Bunny hype (the writer/director(?) of T&B was their guest).  They were hyping Gundam like baseball in the sense of whole "generations of fans, history, tradition," which I'm not sure is a good idea in the States.  Was vaguely amused in their history clip about how they described Gundam Wing as "introducing many female fans to the series with its attractive male characters."  I see.  They then had a preview clip with upcoming Sunrise properties.  Sacred Seven appeared to be a bog standard dudes with amazing powers series, but its song was by Fiction Junction, so that's something.  Phi God of Puzzles is probably lame but I am still impressed with Japan's ability to take any normal ability and try to make it awesome - "I AM THE ULTIMATE PUZZLE SOLVER, BRING IT ON EVIL PUZZLE CONSORTIUM."  The Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere (sp?) - uh, started off sounding promising - there's some kind of spaceship time reversal, and it's 1648 again with the Thirty Years War in Europe and the Warring States period of Japan, except now with superpowers and mechs, or something.  Sure, I approve.  Except that the actual shots seemed to be *all* scantily clad females in fetish gear blowing each other up with magic arrows or whatever, and the character designs were very clearly on the hentai end of the scale - trying very hard to be "hot" even if the actual result was grotesque.  Ugh.  Gundam Age is apparently a new Gundam and involves what looks like an 8 year old piloting a mech, but also an Ugly Old Man, so maybe they combine and create the usual angsty teenager or something.

* Revolutionary Girl Utena - So this was an odd one.  See, there's this forest with a giant staircase, and then this upside down castle, and a student council getting messages from The End of the World, and swords being pulled from bosoms, and....  what?  This has been out for years you say?

Actually, since I watched Utena at my college's anime club, and had been pre-warned that the movie was terrible and pretentious, and only joined in after the person who warned me said that actually the television show was kind of interesting, I never saw the first two episodes before.  So this was new.  The show actually did a pretty solid job on introducing characters and the wacky rules that exist at Ohtori Academy.  Utena responded properly puzzled to the bizarreness ("oh!  That's cold!").  I also found it interesting that Utena fought the first duel over Wakaba's honor, and Anthy had rather little to do with it.  Didn't know that!  In general I think it was a good choice to have Utena rather distant from Anthy at first - you need some motion in relationships.  Touga was nicely established as a charming creep early with his binoculars and actions toward Saionji.  Just overall solid.

* Show floor - Not THAT much interesting, although the Japan tourism booth was interesting with its pamphlets funded by small towns who never get any tourists, but want to brag that there's totally a statue somewhere dedicated to a character from Galaxy Express, so please come visit anime fans.  Reminds me of problems in tourism budgets in the US too - New Jersey totally pays for brochures hyping the beautiful Blue Mountains that nobody ever visits but not enough on the casinos or the Atlantic City beaches which people do actually visit thanks to legislative pull.  They had the "Japan anime tourism map" and everything.

I did pick up a copy of "Sword of the Stranger."  Never saw it before, but a friend recommended it, so we'll see.  Came with an art book, too.
--

Haven't been watching much anime in general, though.  Started up Morbito: Guardian of the Spirit awhile back.  It's good, but hit a point that's not quite compelling - not enough tension to force me to watch the next episode.  There was also one plot escape which I slightly boggled at involving being knocked off a cliff at high speed and surviving and not having said miraculous survival be obvious from watchers above, but whatever.  Also watched the first 3 episodes of Penguindrum.  Uh, we'll see on that one, though points for creativeness so far with the invisible stalker penguin spy corps.