Register

Author Topic: Watching any anime?  (Read 253582 times)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: Watching any anime?
« Reply #1725 on: June 24, 2011, 12:15:25 AM »
Harem mains tend to be simpering milquetoasts who attract women through their genuine goodness, which women are always somehow able to detect beneath their clumsy, indecisive, wimpy, and fairly dense exteriors.

And Djinn I should warn you that the next chunk of One Piece is kinda like a really long arc with another arc in the middle of it.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: June 24, 2011, 01:57:49 AM »
Read Hunter X Hunter in the meantime!

Then be pissed at Togashi like the rest of us for all eternity!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1727 on: June 24, 2011, 02:29:50 AM »
Harem mains tend to be simpering milquetoasts who attract women through their genuine goodness, which women are always somehow able to detect beneath their clumsy, indecisive, wimpy, and fairly dense exteriors.

And Djinn I should warn you that the next chunk of One Piece is kinda like a really long arc with another arc in the middle of it.

Note that the Main of Nadisco fits pretty well, except for that one time that he actually sleeps with someone.

And One Piece is just fine. At episode 71 now, and I'm digging the 'Adventure Islands' setup of the Grand Line overlaid with the larger metaplot of the Baroque Works pirates. It feels a lot less filler-y when the main characters don't actually have a goal beyond 'Explore this place' and the villains are running the larger plot progression (and getting some decent character development in as a result).

I'm kind of surprised that I'm this far into the series and we haven't met Chopper yet, considering he's probably the most famous thing to come out of this whole series.

Got introduced to Robin already, but no Chopper? Although, I imagine the Robin intro would have been much less exciting if I didn't already know who she was. Very subtly introduced. One cool thing about One Piece is that everyone has a really unique design and you can't spot the main characters from a mile away simply by their artstyle.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: June 24, 2011, 04:52:04 AM »
Hm, thinking on it the only real weakness of the Arlong Park arc is that you never get to know Arlong all that well.  Not so with the next couple villains.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: June 25, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »
Been watching a couple different animes recently.

Fruits Basket - Cute enough. The main character gets on my nerve, but its decent enough to make me smile every now and then. I think I am half way done with this one.

His and Her Circumstances - Started this up too. My GF only wanted to watch this dubbed, and I could not find a copy of it until I stumbled upon a site called Dubhappy.com. They stream nothing but the dubbed versions of a ton of animes. Just finished episode 2. It's a cute story and the main chick is entertaining. Looks like a decent show.

Death Note - Started this up yesterday. I am on episode 12 right now. Light is a little prick. So much for being a good guy. He has gotten himself in so much deeper then needed. All he had to do was slow his role and not get such a massive God complex and he would have been fine.

Planet Hulk - It was ok. Not on the same level as Hulk vs Wolverine, but whatever. Hulk needed to be less of a bitch in this movie.

"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1730 on: June 28, 2011, 04:16:56 PM »
One Piece - now up to episode 130! Finished the Alabasta Arc and Vivi had her tearful farewell. *sigh* I really liked Vivi, but I guess keeping a Princess around wouldn't actually be all that great for a pirate crew. I hope she shows up regularly anyway. I mean, we have plenty of non-Straw Hats in the regular cast anyway with the Marines and various other pirate gangs, surely they can find time for a character who was actually a crew member for a while? (Though I'm doubting it since I haven't exactly seen any merchandise featuring her, and with something as visible as One Piece, that's a good clue!)

Not as good as Arlong Park, but honestly it would have made a decent climax and ending for the series if they wrapped things up here, so that's definitely a point in its favor. The Devil Fruit powers haven't worn out their welcome yet, and Crocodile was a great villain. Usopp and Chopper's fight finally featured characters fighting -smart- instead of just being ridiculously overpowered, so that was a nice highlight. (I hope they continue with it. Since Nami's fight featured something similar, I have high hopes, though Nami's fight wasn't nearly as well-thought-out in terms of pacing.)

Series is still pretty charming and the cast is really hitting its stride in terms of humor and chemistry, though Luffy's still pretty terrible (I'm starting to get the impression that he's only terrible in the extended scenes that were made exclusively for the anime, since he seems to change into a completely different character when there's actual plot going on that obviously must have been in the manga). Crocodile was also a really effective villain. His motives and lack of backstory seems odd considering the rest of the villain cast thus far, but he was by far the biggest and most capable threat and actually had clever evil plans.

Considering stopping here since I'm worried the series has peaked. Will I really be missing anything if I just keep my good memories of Arlong Park and Alabasta for this series?

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: June 29, 2011, 01:47:05 AM »
Considering stopping here since I'm worried the series has peaked. Will I really be missing anything if I just keep my good memories of Arlong Park and Alabasta for this series?

Without going too much into it, the series to date hovers at about as good as the Alabasta arc is.  I think it's worth watching, but you might want to put it down for a while to avoid burnout.  Anyway, if you want to watch more, skip ahead to episode 144.  The post-Alabasta filler is pretty dull.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1733 on: July 03, 2011, 03:34:06 PM »
One Piece: Watched the filler arcs from eps 130-145. Overall, not the worst filler anime has ever seen. In particular, the few episodes right after Alabasta where the series was doing a few episodic things with character development were actually kind of interesting. Then there was Goat Island and the Rainbow mini-arcs and those were pretty boring. Also, it's notable that the characters were back to that state of unlikeableness they had in the pre-Alabasta anime arcs. Whoever directs these anime-only arcs really has terrible judgment when it comes to portraying the characters' flaws. Nami likes treasure and is good at controlling the crew, but in the filler, she's just a power-mad bitch who doesn't care about her crewmates at all. Luffy is simple-minded and has trouble with the more 'complicated' details of missions, but in the filler, he's basically a liability at all times and never does anything useful or shows any signs of his innate ability to actually lead people. Similar, Usopp's, Zoro's, and Chopper's character flaws seem to get magnified and warped to the point of annoyance in a lot of the filler episodes.

I mention all of this because I have just watched the first episode of non-filler since Alabasta and it's like night and day. Nami and Usopp are genuinely clever again. Luffy does something reckless, but it actually had a point that could be grounded in reason (he randomly jumped on a sinking ship and salvaged a rare map). Robin finally -does- something after being in the crew for 15 episodes... >.>;; Seriously, I understand that filler arcs aren't supposed to progress past the manga's development, but some of the arc-writers are just terrible at making them anything like the show at all. Again, not -all- of the filler was bad (the first five episodic character-piece ones were pretty entertaining), but I can see why people use the term with such venom these days. (I hadn't ever watched a shounen series this long before to really notice filler arcs. I think I saw a few in Ranma 1/2, but that's already a pretty episodic series, so the quality wasn't noticeable. I never watched Naruto long enough to catch up to its manga, so... that about covers all the shounen series I've watched for more than 2 seasons until now?)

Anyway, I suppose it just shows that One Piece is pretty good now that most of its cast is together if I can stomach its filler arcs (apart from the Millennium Dragon one, holy crap was that terrible).

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: July 03, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »
It was pretty good, but not as awesome as I expected.  Way too much trolling. "Yo I heard you like Mahou Shoujo. Well, FUCK YOU."   Trolling is only funny when done in a FABULOUS way like Code Geass. The bizarre art style of witches, soundtrack, and fight scenes were well done, but overshadowed by all the crying (there's no crying in pre-pubescent girl shows...oh wait), lesbian overtones and QB being more pro than Protori. God, there needs to be a dub of this show. Dave Whittenburg as QB would have made it 10x more awesome.

It's not a far-cry to call Madoka a deconstruction of the genre, but I know some people will fight me on that.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: July 09, 2011, 07:14:14 AM »
Mawaru Penguindrum - :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1736 on: July 10, 2011, 04:01:37 AM »
One Piece: So I just finished the Skypiea arc (39 episodes, holy crap this is long). It was pretty good in general, albeit slow-as-molasses pacing, which is pretty much the norm for One Piece. There were a few moments of "Why are the Smart Characters acting so dumb? It can't be THAT hard to sabotage a flying wooden ship..." in the middle parts of the plot, but otherwise, it really improved my opinion of the characters, particularly Luffy and Robin, who were vying for my least-favorite slots for a while there. I'm assuming what's coming next is gonna be Filler, so I'm not looking forward to it, but it's good to know that One Piece is generally reliable for decent plot. The larger overarching plot of the series was basically ignored the entire arc, but it was a solid self-contained diversion, so I'm not complaining.

There were even some moments where I was genuinely impressed - the one that stands out is the scene where the innocent little girl from the Shandrian tribe, Aisa, meets up with the former leader of their centuries-long-rival tribe, Gan Fall. She's been carrying around a lot of hatred for a good long while and has the reformed Gan Fall at her mercy by holding his own spear to his throat. Gan Fall says she can kill him if it will bring her peace, and Nami and Luffy are shouting to her about how "killing him won't fix anything" and you can see that Aisa's going to give in under duress and start crying and the usual anime friendship speeches cliche and HOLY SHIT SHE'S STABBING HIM!

Yeah, I was impressed that it avoided the standard ending for that sort of thing. Luffy still ended up stepping in and stopping any actual murder from going down, but the fact that centuries worth of hatred wasn't overturned by a convenient friendship speech was nice.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: July 10, 2011, 06:28:51 AM »
I think the most impressive bit with Luffy comes with how he treats the folks in the pirate town after he finds out they don't believe in the sky island.  Like Blackbeard's introduction too.  Good bit of writing to make it clear that he's important without him, y'know, actually doing anything.

I absolutely love how the Skypiea arc builds Enel up into a figure of truly godlike stature...then sends him tumbling down to earth when he finally meets Luffy.  It's a brilliant bit of comeuppance.

The next filler arc is, in my opinion, the best filler of what I've watched, incidentally.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: July 10, 2011, 07:00:54 AM »
The Tatami Galaxy - Finished

Very enjoyable. Despite being sub-only for some reason which was a tad aggravating. Included trailers were also all subbed which makes me fear for some other shows that Siren is a fan of doing that.

Not sure what I think of the twist that all the episodes are running in parallel despite all the previous evidence that they were running sequentially with time shenanigans, because now some of that stuff no longer makes any sense. It is still pretty awesome and ups the overlook capacity though.

The minispecials were not that great.

Those Obnoxious Aliens - Through episode 80

Noooooooooo the decent op has been replaced by a fairly lame ooooooone

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1739 on: July 10, 2011, 07:50:56 AM »
I think the most impressive bit with Luffy comes with how he treats the folks in the pirate town after he finds out they don't believe in the sky island.  Like Blackbeard's introduction too.  Good bit of writing to make it clear that he's important without him, y'know, actually doing anything.

I absolutely love how the Skypiea arc builds Enel up into a figure of truly godlike stature...then sends him tumbling down to earth when he finally meets Luffy.  It's a brilliant bit of comeuppance.

The next filler arc is, in my opinion, the best filler of what I've watched, incidentally.

Yeah, Enel himself was well-designed. And once it became obvious that Luffy was tailor-made to destroy him, I understood why the others ended up being completely annihilated by him. Though I'm still somewhat annoyed that Nami wasn't more effective there. She's supposed to be the Weather expert and she (nor anyone) came up with any ideas about Lightning rods? I was expecting a little more cleverness there. And I was -really- annoyed that Nami volunteered herself to get kidnapped and didn't think to even try gathering information on Enel's weaknesses or plans while she was just allowed to wander free with him. Even more annoying was that she apparently got the opportunity to examine Wiper's unconscious form and she didn't think to grab his Kairouseki stone that would have put Enel out of commission... Grah. I guess Rubber > Electricity is more interesting than One Piece's version of Kryptonite, but it would have been nice to show the intelligent characters actually being intelligent against a more powerful foe.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: July 10, 2011, 09:25:34 AM »
He had a kairoseki stone?  completely missed/forgot that.  Nami's actions otherwise didn't bother me.  I mean, when you've been kidnapped by a superpowered megalomaniac, the best method of info gathering is to stick around him and wait for him to blurt out his evil plan.  Which he does.

I absolutely love that Luffy gets to fight someone his powers are particularly well-suited for.  I take it as Oda's way of saying, "Sorry for making Crocodile's power such a pain in the ass for you, Luffy."
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 08:50:14 PM by NotMiki »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: July 10, 2011, 04:06:58 PM »
Not sure what I think of the twist that all the episodes are running in parallel despite all the previous evidence that they were running sequentially with time shenanigans, because now some of that stuff no longer makes any sense. It is still pretty awesome and ups the overlook capacity though.

Only the stuff that tended to repeat itself across the stories actually happens. It's not hard to piece together the true series of events. The TRUE twist of the series (Watashi going Ozu on Ozu) is effing brilliant though. I use his quote "Nothing else is as boring to tell as a story of successful love." as my GameFAQs sig now too.

You're also coming to the end of the Oshii episodes for Urusei Yatsura (Mid 90'sish I think?). Sad times, but you did just see And Then There Were None, so that is awesome. There are still some gems later though.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1742 on: July 12, 2011, 12:58:10 PM »
One Piece: G-8 Fortress Arc.

Holy crap, Jim, you weren't kidding about this being a well-done filler arc. Instead of introducing random who-cares-about-you characters to fill in a bunch of episodes, it actually concentrates on the main cast and gives them something to do with this new nakama dynamic they've got going on. It also spends more time developing the antagonists, the Marines, who are actually part of the main storyline, even if the specific group of Marines we're focusing on in this arc aren't canon. The main captain of this group of marines, Johnathan, is pretty excellent to watch at all times. Whenever he's on-screen, it's like a light suspense/mystery series instead of plain shounen action. Whoever wrote this filler arc needs a raise.

Really, this guy has such a good handle on the characters and their dynamic. And the main cast, even the Idiots, seem to be avoiding carrying around the Idiot Ball for plot convenience. Luffy actually seems to have a brain and manages to come up with some solutions to problems that -aren't- 'hit it really hard over and over again'. Not many, no, but at least he's getting better at knowing when to use his violence and when to let the smart people handle things. I also approve of him -actively- making a decision as Captain for the crew to go back their confiscated gold, even if it was only because it would stain a Pirate's pride to have his gold taken from him. Similarly, Nami's character seems to have been salvaged from the ultra-bitch from the previous filler (and even parts of the Skypeia Arc). Even with her kneejerk reaction to go back for the treasure, we later find out that she -does- remember that the reason she initially cared so much about money was to help people (or in this case, repair the crew's beloved ship they've had since like episode 15).

In particular, the setting is perfect for showcasing the abilities of the whole crew. Their combination of intelligent characters when stealth is needed, and powerhouse characters when they need to apply surgical force is really awesome to see in action in a "Prison Escape"-type setting. The various callbacks to previous arcs (The Waver/Dials, the trials the Going Merry ship has gone through) and the subtle setups for future plot points (Robin's intel-gathering, Luffy's declaration for adding a shipwright to the crew) really make the arc feel pretty seamless for a filler piece.

The amount of joy I get from seeing these characters act genuinely clever again cannot be described. With the exception of Zoro (and really, that suits his character), the entire cast was able to handle at least a minimum level of stealth and disguise, as befitting a group of PIRATES. I was particularly pleased that Sanji got to do this well in his cooking-centric episode, even with the burden of Luffy along for the ride (who was also surprisingly able to not blow their cover for a good 4/5 of an episode, and when he -did-, it wasn't actually his fault - the awesomely brilliant Commander Jonathan just happened to get lucky and recognize him from the wanted poster). By far the most entertaining parts of this arc has been seeing the on-the-spot acting from Usopp, Nami, and Chopper though. Usopp managed to frame a high-ranking Marine officer as being a disguised member of their Pirate crew. And Nami and Chopper... man, the scene where Chopper 'takes Nami hostage' was just hilariously brilliant. I didn't think the little guy had it in him to sound so threatening! Anyway, seeing successful ruses is always nice, and the fact that their opponent is pretty quick at figuring them out if they aren't good ruses makes it all the more exciting when they're successful.

I kinda wish that the Marines were the main antagonists more often, it is far more satisfying to watch the crew be Pirates who get the better of the misguided Marines than it is watching them just fight other Pirates... Alternately, get this director back more often.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: July 13, 2011, 01:51:48 AM »
Right, so I got some good news and some bad news, Djinn.

Good news!  Everything you want One Piece to be in the future it totally is! starting right after the next arc...

(I shouldn't be so hard on the next arc.  It's fun!  Also short!  Just also complete fluff.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:55:20 AM by NotMiki »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: July 15, 2011, 11:37:14 PM »

Only the stuff that tended to repeat itself across the stories actually happens. It's not hard to piece together the true series of events.

Unless you're saying that the parallel versions didn't 'actually' happen, in which case the episode regarding that doesn't make much sense, I guess I didn't express myself well enough. The things that I were saying don't make sense are things which rely on the previous episode having happened 'before' the current episode rather than parallel with it, the most simple example being the fortuneteller who appeared to be raising the price and getting more exasperated each episode, which in the view of everything occuring in parallel just means that this behaviour of each instance is all coincidental. A less clearcut example which could just be my mind reading into things too oddly was how Higuchi still had the bike in the episode after the one where it was stolen. At the time I was seeing things as running under some sort of Majora's Mask style of time rewinding, now it's just another coincidence. I'm sure there were numerous more examples but I cannot think of any at the moment.

Welcome To Irabu's Office - finished

Subs only again :fistshake:

It was entertaining enough I suppose, but too weird for my tastes. The best episode was Owner which also happened to be the least weird episode.

Those Obnoxious Aliens - through to episode 92

You're also coming to the end of the Oshii episodes for Urusei Yatsura (Mid 90'sish I think?). Sad times, but you did just see And Then There Were None, so that is awesome. There are still some gems later though.

That is sad to hear, considering that most of the recent episodes have been great. I particularly like what they did with the beauty contest one.

Ataru has really stepped up violence against Jariten lately, I guess they were getting feedback that he was the lesser jerk in that area.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1745 on: July 19, 2011, 03:10:02 PM »
Dear One Piece,

I have just a small request regarding your plot contrivances. Now normally, I'm all for absurd and over-the-top solutions to things. And you normally do a great job mixing up high-powered fighting and clever schemes. But there's this thing. You know the thing. The Devil Fruit Kryptonite. If you keep throwing it at the heroes to depower their Devil Fruit users, will you PLEASE let one of them have the brilliant idea to try it on the ridiculously-over-powered Devil Fruit villains?

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: July 20, 2011, 01:06:59 AM »
Those Obnoxious Aliens - through to episode 92

That is sad to hear, considering that most of the recent episodes have been great. I particularly like what they did with the beauty contest one.

Ataru has really stepped up violence against Jariten lately, I guess they were getting feedback that he was the lesser jerk in that area.

Do yourself a favor and take a breather, download the second movie (Beautiful Dreamer) and use it as a capstone for the Oshii episodes. It is bizarre and surreal and brilliant and made of all kinds of win.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1747 on: July 20, 2011, 11:50:06 AM »
One Piece, episode 300. Holy crap. The story is engaging, the characters multifaceted, and the animation style is unique. But oh god, the pacing is losing footraces with Dekar. I think the 5-minute episode reviews at the beginning of each episode are not only there for eating up more time to give the manga chance to get further, but are also literally made up of every unique frame of animation from the previous episode. There's so much still-shot panning, needlessly long pauses, throwaway scenes/flashbacks that I don't think we're getting more than minutes of new footage each episode.

One Piece, I liked you better when you were doing filler arcs (particularly the G8 arc, let's do something like that again and stop dragging out the actual plot to a snail's pace).

I can see why you stopped at ep300 before, Jim. I'ma finish this arc and take a break.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: July 20, 2011, 01:07:20 PM »
Actually I stopped at 300 because that's where the particular group whose fansubs I'd been using got up to.  But yeah, I don't think the animators were prepared to reckon with a particularly long arc there's really no way to do any filler in the middle of.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: July 23, 2011, 06:10:52 AM »
Kaiba - finished

Pretty great in general, although there is quite a bit left unexplained, like why exactly they go into space early on in the first place. The final episode is particularly bad in these regards. The most annoying part of the final that was comprehensible enough to not be confusing is there is nothing really said about all the people who had their memories evacuated, keeping in mind that the majority of the population of the Undermoon is included in this as they were given a dose of electrolytic clouds.

The show is nowhere near as depressing as it ought to be considering the events of some episodes. Not entirely sure why that is.

Kichi needs to be put into SRW somehow.

TOA - through to episode 102

Acquired the movies as advised. Oshii is still listed in the credits through to episode 106 so I will progress with that plan at that time, assuming I can overcome my desire to watch movie 1 before watching movie 2.

Annoyingly episode 93, right after I had said that there had been a lot of good episodes previously, was a clip episode. There were several more fairly ordinary episodes in the 90s (Snowman, Ryuunosuke's Bra, among others). I am keeping in mind the possibility that there is only one copy of the OP in use and any crediting changes have been lost until the next OP (which is episode 107). The show isn't using separate OP files so that particular method is out, but that doesn't mean it could have been done manually.

But happily the late-90s/early-100s episodes have stepped things back up. Although 102 wasn't particularly great, hopefully that isn't a sign that things are going to go downhill again.

[EDIT]...and 103 was another clip episode. And the preview for 104 makes it look like it's going to be another clip episode as well. Facedesk.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 08:07:06 AM by Twilkitri »