imageRegister

Author Topic: Watching any anime?  (Read 253930 times)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: Watching any anime?
« Reply #1425 on: July 29, 2010, 12:19:05 AM »
Ideon

Yeah, he didn't have to slaughter ALL of humanity...

Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike

Good, straightforward prequel.  Very true to the characters, and reminds you why you like Yuri and Flynn in the first place (as I think Meep mentioned, what Yuri knows is not 100% consistent with ToV, but that's not a big deal at all).  Very pretty, too.  Good stuff.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:22:24 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Bardiche

« Reply #1426 on: August 02, 2010, 10:28:39 PM »
Continuing Heroman finally...

Up to episode 10 now. (Haven't started it yet)

Quickly reminded why I dropped it. Each episode can basically be summed up as "Heroman smashes stuff", but it looks like they're introducing political stuff, so maybe Heroman evolves beyond a mean lean smashing machine!

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: August 02, 2010, 11:04:36 PM »
Yeah. I've stalled out at 14 and I've since pseudo-dropped it. It fluctuates wildly between decent and ARGH. I thought Joey turning into the Flash would save it, but nooooooooooooo. Haruko Holly is fun, but between the government and Joey's group, the idiot ball gets cloned and held continuously.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: August 03, 2010, 08:40:05 AM »
Shiki- They actually didn't mess up Fujisaki's art!! Good! All good!! BTW, why is everyone thinking this show is going to be horror or some sort??

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: August 03, 2010, 10:25:20 AM »
Because it's a mystery/horror show? It's more on the mystery side, but people are fooling themselves a bit thinking it's gonna be more horror, I guess.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1430 on: August 04, 2010, 01:43:44 AM »
Finally got around to watching Season 2 of Haruhi. A real disappointment overall, as I'm sure anyone who has heard of The Endless Eight knows by now. I just watched the first and last episodes of EE and I feel I pretty much got my time's worth from that. Sadly, the non-EE episodes were pretty bland too.

The original series did a pretty awesome job of capturing the feeling of being a kid who wants things like magic and superheroes and aliens to exist and tying it up in a humorous parody-filled package. The unusual broadcast order of the original run also helped in sprinkling in character development while still saving the climax (chronologically eps 4-5) for the final episodes. I think EE was attempting to capture some of that same 'unusual meta broadcast storytelling' feeling, but it really feel flat to me. It may have worked better if Haruhi was a longer series and the EE were interspersed throughout the other episodes (as character development) in total. It would have still been too many damn episodes, but it might have made it tolerable and less trolling.

Considering the Haruhi franchise could practically print money here in Japan, it boggles my mind that they would choose to go that route with it, but I would still like to see some of the newer Haruhi light novels actually get animated, since the plot is picking up. After S2's terribleness, I wonder if there's any hope for that happening?

Season 2 Haruhi is full of a whole lot of Status Quo without doing much besides one triumphant moment for Kyon. Though there were some hints in the very last episodes about people finally questioning the nature of Haruhi's powers.

Oh, I watched some episodes of a Super Sentai show lately if that counts as anime enough for this topic? It was delightfully cheesy and reminded me of when I used to wake up early to watch Power Rangers in grade school. I have to say that it's -really- disconcerting to see live-action Japanese people acting like Anime characters and shouting things in really odd Japanese and using Anime gestures and mannerisms. It really contrasts with the day-to-day image of people around me. This may seem like an obvious statement, but I rarely watched live-action Japanese kids shows, so I'm not used to seeing the Japanese way of over-acting except in animated form, which is a lot easier to accept.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: August 04, 2010, 01:46:17 AM »
The point of Endless Eight was solely trolling. The genius doesn't kick in until you realize that - unless you're too much of a pansy to enjoy schadenfreude. >_>
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: August 04, 2010, 02:25:38 AM »
Also, in hindsight The Disappearance/Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya (book 4, also the single most popular book amongst the fanbase in my experience) was clearly intended to be the centerpiece of Haruhi S2 originally - all the initial teaser ads were based around either Disappearance or Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, which ties in closely with Disappearance's plot.

At this point in the planning process, Kadokawa decided to split Disappearance off into a separate movie, but that left S2 down six episodes. At this point, somebody decided the way to deal with this was to explode Endless Eight into 8 episodes, then advertise the resulting product in as cryptic a manner as they could manager to obfuscate the fact the actual content of the new season. Hence you got vaguely worded Newtype articles talking about a relaunch of Haruhi without explicitly labelling it as a new season, the new episodes interleaved with the old ones in chronological order, the lack of upcoming episode title listings in promotional magazines, none of the Endless Eight episodes being numbered the way every other multi-episode story arc has been labelled, etc. They were basically trying to lead their audience on as long as they could get away with it.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: August 04, 2010, 05:20:27 AM »
Because it's a mystery/horror show? It's more on the mystery side, but people are fooling themselves a bit thinking it's gonna be more horror, I guess.

AS far as my memory go, this is not a horror show consider the novel and manga it is based on. Especially when this more based on the manga, where horror, mystery barely exists.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: August 04, 2010, 06:46:19 AM »
What the hell genres would you classify it as then, Niu?

Bardiche

« Reply #1435 on: August 04, 2010, 08:01:54 AM »
Yeah. I've stalled out at 14 and I've since pseudo-dropped it. It fluctuates wildly between decent and ARGH. I thought Joey turning into the Flash would save it, but nooooooooooooo. Haruko Holly is fun, but between the government and Joey's group, the idiot ball gets cloned and held continuously.

Yeah, seems episode 15/16 finally puts a stop to the government dance. Episode 17 introduces A NEW ENEMY!!!

I can't believe Denton's one of my favourite characters in the series so far... Science teachers are supposed to be dull.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: August 04, 2010, 08:06:57 AM »
What the hell genres would you classify it as then, Niu?

I would say drama. It deals a lot more on the nature of a rural community and their psychological change once they encounter outsider, and then how they change after they become outsiders themselves. If not, it'll be about how they break down.
The original novel does it a bitter but far from horror style, especially with how the suicidal monk and the evil loli ended up.
As for the manga, due to Fujisaki's art style, this felt like a comedy instead. Well, except a certain chapter when the doctor did something **** to his wife. But that's about the only that can upset your stomach in the Fujisaki's version.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: August 06, 2010, 03:29:32 PM »
Gundam ZZ episodes 32-44 -

Conveniently enough right after I said that Glemmy hadn't seemed to be showing any signs of being up to anything he reveals in the next episode that he had been up to things for some time. As far as I was aware he was just a grunt at the start of the series, not a special observer or anything, so I'm not sure where he found the time unless the series has some gaping unmentioned time skips in it.

Conversely, when Glemmy begins bringing things out into the open Haman seems startled by it despite the fact that she was the one assigning watchers to him and so on for no apparent reason earlier. I see.

Another unexpected death, although this time I fully expected the death to happen at some point, I just wasn't expecting it to happen the first time the two characters in question interacted. I blame SRW for giving me misexpectations. Either way it's one of them down. All good.

And on that note, the dead character I mentioned previously apparently managed to pull a Kira and is now seemingly hanging out with Lady Pointlesscameos. As this was revealed in an episode where Beecha was the only one taking a worthwhile course of action and served to void this, I can only assume that it was done in order to prevent any goodtimes for Beecha. I cannot say that he doesn't deserve it but it is still aggravating.

Only three episodes to go and yet there are at least 9 named villains by my count still extant. How many of them are going to get attentionless deaths I wonder.

Gundam MS igLoo &
Gundam MS igLoo Apocalypse -

Pretty. Entertaining. These are two words which I have chosen to use before this sentence that coincidentally match my thoughts on these two OVAs. I especially like how Zeon put effort into making a mobile pod superior to the Ball as this was clearly an area where their armed forces were vastly lacking.

Not a particularly big fan of them attempting to inject upbeatery into the ending at the last second. It was very much unnecessary. At least it wasn't as moodshattering as in Starship Operators, but that does not excuse it.

I would like to see more Secret Weapons Of The Zeon but instead they made

Gundam MS IGLOO 2 -

Prettier than the igLoos, but it is all about people who are futilely trying to not die instead of weapons experiments. Also there is a ghost/reaper character who is seemingly not a hallucination as multiple people see it and it tells some people information which they would have no way of knowing personally.

Also Colmatta is kind of creepy.

It is an interesting watch, but not what I was hoping for.

Escaflowne The Movie -

So according to Hitomi, her being generally depressed is equivalent to the genocide of Van's people.

Not much else stood out enough to really come to mind. It's decent in general, but I want to say the series is a fair bit better.

Bardiche

« Reply #1438 on: August 07, 2010, 09:44:12 PM »
Heroman:

... OK... So MYSTERIOUS ENEMY X!!!!! may or may not be an ally... but screw that, time for a beach episode. And then tentacle monsters.
..........I guess even having an American writer doesn't change this from JAAPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Also, Joey wears that pugly shirt everywhere, even the beach. :[ What.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: August 08, 2010, 03:49:41 AM »
Gundam ZZ -

Finished.

Several villains off themselves for no good reason and it is annoying. On the topic of dead villains, Ple 2 seems to have potentially died completely unnoticed but then she disappeared from the show without this being confirmed. Illia also seemed to vanish after Mashymre's pointless selfdestructery.

Lady Pointlesscameo actually spoke. It was shocking.

All up it was not the most compelling ending of all time. Also Judou randomly decides to not look for the person he was planning to look for and takes an extended business trip instead. Convenient that said person manages to catch him before he leaves.

The series was not really as bad as it seems to have a reputation for, but it is pretty scrubby in comparison to the other UC I've seen in general.

I have recently discovered that there are plans to release CCA over here in November so I will not be going on to it at the current time.

Goodbye, Mr. Despair (S1)-

The first episode was very up and down and left me wondering what I had gotten myself in to. Fortunately it kicks into high gear afterwards and has a lot more up than it has down for the remainder of the season. Somewhat more service than I would have preferred however.

I have high hopes for the followup seasons but I don't expect to watch them at any point soon.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: August 17, 2010, 05:24:32 AM »
B Gata H Kei - Is far, far funnier than it has any right to be at all.  So funny I don't feel unclean saying it's worth watching.

EDIT:

Denpa Teki Na Kanojo - Nice little light horror series.  And by 'light' I mean it's meant to scare and unsettle, just not to an extreme.  It works, so no complaints (like half-sour pickles are sometimes better than normal ones).  It's by the same dude as Kurenai, and the two aren't all that similar but seem to me to suffer from the same problem: that they'd be better if the cast wasn't (mostly) one dude and a bunch of chicks.  That's a nitpick in the case of Denpa Teki Na Kanojo, though.  Good stuff.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:59:06 AM by NotMiki »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: August 19, 2010, 12:24:52 AM »
Slayers S1 -

Lightheartery that doesn't really lend itself to having anything said about it. Fairly enjoyable. Have ordered the next season.

Aura Battler Dunbine -

Decent. Not a big fan of the way things are left somewhat open in the ending but any more information would break the way the series was framed. Although it's not like it was a particularly good frame, so I am divided on whether this is really enough of an excuse.

Subs (by White_Base) were mediocre. Never to the point of ununderstandability, at least.

The Aura Road sure can pick 'em... the majority of people that come through are somewhat sociopathic. Even Show spends a fair amount of time antagonising people, although he mostly limits that to towards Nie.

Cham spends a lot of time seemingly being contrary for the sake of being contrary also.

On the other hand, Drake and Burn are both far less babyeating than I expected them to be.

They start to give Garalia backstory, but then she is lamely killed off. Not sure what the point of going to the effort was, then. On top of that, Zet and her were supposed to be entering a relationship before this, but Zet never seems to care that she died or even mention her afterwards.

Interestingly they don't really give any of the other villains any backstory. Maybe they decided that it was too highbrow and attempted to get rid of the evidence.

Laughably horribly at one point Show starts claiming that Byston Well was peaceful before the Aura Machines were invented. This is from a guy who wasn't around then and despite evidence to the contrary, including one person stating that it wasn't true who he just brushes off.

So Show and Marvel go to Laas Wau to destroy a factory there. Show ends up 'rescuing' Silky Mau and then they leave without doing what they went there for. Annoyingly enough they start to use this construct in abundance in the second half of the show, where taking out the Gea Gring takes forever because they keep leaving without finishing things. SRW does a good job at conveying the tediousness if I remember its appearances there correctly.

So Jacoba Aon requests that Show deal with the Aura Machine problem, which he is happy enough to agree to. Then the next episode she kills herself to deal with the problem in an entirely unwanted way. How unnecessarily impatient.

Riml can't catch a break. Early on there are a number of attempts to rescue her which all fail. Later, she manages to escape herself, and finds that all the people that were trying to rescue her before now think that she's a spy and don't trust her, and just when she's pretty much dealt with that she gets captured again. Then later on she escapes again and then gets captured again due to being uncautious. Then later on she escapes again and embarks on an ill-fortuned revenge attempt. On top of this, Show et al had been advised by a seer to prevent her revenge from happening which makes no sense considering that she fails utterly at it without their interference. Further, while Show et al had been unhappy about the idea of attacking the Gea Gring while Marvel was held prisoner on it, they have no qualms about attacking it while Riml's on it, which makes sense initially as they don't know she's there but doesn't really do so after they find this out.

The armies of Earth are bizarrely triggerhappy when it comes to nukes in this show. You would expect that after they'd seen that the nukes weren't having any effect they would have stopped, considering the radiation and everything. There is a time when they're continually firing nukes at the Gea Gring to prevent them from seeing that the Goloan is coming which is completely absurd.

Shot Weapon & the Spriggan seem to be destroyed in the penultimate episode only for them to be around in the final episode as if nothing had happened, which is somewhat disconcertening. I should rewatch the point where they're initially destroyed to make sure that I'm not misinterpreting it. [EDIT] On rechecking, it looks like the Spriggan isn't completely destroyed in fact, but it does take somewhat massive damage and cockpit explosions. That it shows up without injury in the final episode is still a problem however as the final follows directly on from the previous.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 11:13:58 AM by Twilkitri »

mia~

• miasmacloud
  • Denizen
  • bored rich kid wants to blow shit up
    • View Profile
    • http://srsfkn.biz
« Reply #1442 on: August 25, 2010, 12:54:49 AM »
Satoshi Kon died.

):

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: August 25, 2010, 02:41:24 AM »
.....what?

;_;
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: August 25, 2010, 02:44:37 AM »
;-;

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: August 25, 2010, 02:54:55 AM »
damn

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: August 25, 2010, 03:04:48 AM »
Aww fuck.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: August 25, 2010, 04:07:09 AM »
Ugh.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: August 25, 2010, 11:27:51 AM »
Well I guess I can stop watching Anime now.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Bardiche

« Reply #1449 on: August 25, 2010, 11:29:08 AM »
So I just watched Paprika.