Register

Author Topic: Music Tournament of DOOM Vol. 2 ~Round 2, Pools 1&2~  (Read 5261 times)

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Music Tournament of DOOM Vol. 2 ~Round 2, Pools 1&2~
« on: April 12, 2009, 12:55:24 AM »
The preliminary round is winding down, and it's now time for the second round to begin!  Can Donkey Kong outmuscle the might of FALCOM PAUNCH!?  Will Gilgamesh continue his winning streak against Ramza and friends?  And who will win the battle between the cyborgs and the beautiful assassins?  Only you can decide!  Since I'm only putting up one pool at a time for the time being, I am also reducing the voting time to five days, so this pool will close at midnight EST Thursday, April 16.  As usual, the username is "c863880@bsnow.net" and the password is "Password" if a song asks you to log in.

MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country) vs. The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI)
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3)
Alice (Shadow Hearts) vs. Nefertiti (Mana Khemia)
Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (Wild ARMs 5)

The Stage is Set (Final Fantasy VIII) vs. Primal Eyes (Parasite Eve)
Time of the Dreamwatch (Chrono Cross) vs. Sunlight Filtering through the Trees (Tales of Legendia)
Howl of the Departed (Lost Odyssey) vs. At the Frozen Depths of the Heart (Wild ARMs 5)
Battle on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V) vs. Under the Stars (Final Fantasy Tactics)

FAILURE BRACKET
Hydlide (Hydlide) vs. Honeybee Manor (Final Fantasy VII)

ANIME
Canta Per Me (Noir) vs. Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig)
Bring all the Wisdom to Britain! (Read or Die OVA) vs. Hanabi (Bleach)

Having issues with Flyupload so the full pool is on Mediafire but I had to split the archive, so you get two links: http://www.mediafire.com/?dwzv5yjgnmm and http://www.mediafire.com/?zyjmutyzjj0
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 01:40:51 AM by Yakumo »

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of DOOM Vol. 2 ~Round 2, Pools 1&2~
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 01:39:51 AM »
Any chance of having it downloadable still? At least for the pools where there were no downloads in Round 1.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 01:42:35 AM »
Heh, you got that in just before I edited the post, I was waiting for them to finish uploading. :P

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 01:54:25 AM »
Oh, haha, awesome. <3

MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country) vs. The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) - Yeah, this was close for the first minute or so of Merciless Savior. And then it picks up.
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3) - Both were good, but Enemy Attack kept my attention for longer.
Alice (Shadow Hearts) vs. Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) - Slaughter much? Alice takes too long to get to being average, whereas Nefertiti takes about 10 seconds to get to being pure awesome.
Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (Wild ARMs 5) - Ooh, ouch. This is a close match. Feel a Fear is more my style, but is too synthy at times. So synth, in fact, that it's losing this match.

The Stage is Set (Final Fantasy VIII) vs. Primal Eyes (Parasite Eve) - Ehh, a tough one for me. Primal Eyes bothers me for some reason. It sounds like some hybrid of KH2 & FFXII, and neither of those have memorable music for a good reason. Stage is Set is less my style, but does it better, so I'm going with that.
Time of the Dreamwatch (Chrono Cross) vs. Sunlight Filtering through the Trees (Tales of Legendia) - Hmm. Both of these are decent, neither is great. I'm gonna go with Dreamwatch for being somewhat more active.
Howl of the Departed (Lost Odyssey) vs. At the Frozen Depths of the Heart (Wild ARMs 5) - UGH. THAT INTRO. What was Uematsu thinking? Part of this seems familiar - oh, it's part of Dancing Mad, but with added singing. That said, I like Dancing Mad. But the played-backwards chanting at the end? Pfft. Frozen Depths does nothing for ages, but it's still won this one.
Battle on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V) vs. Under the Stars (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Stars is a little plain, but nice. BotBB is definitely good, but... I just prefer Stars.

FAILURE BRACKET
Hydlide (Hydlide) vs. Honeybee Manor (Final Fantasy VII) - I sorta like Hydlide... Honeybee Manor does get tolerable, but that damn noise runs throughout the whole damn song and gets REALLY ANNOYING.

ANIME
Canta Per Me (Noir) vs. Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) - Uhh, I think. Might re-listen, but probably going with this.
Bring all the Wisdom to Britain! (Read or Die OVA) vs. Hanabi (Bleach) - Took a few listens to decide, but definitely this one.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 03:13:37 AM by Yoshiken »

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 02:32:39 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country) vs. The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) - Don't really want to vote for weak Falcom in the second round, but I don't like Stickerbrush Symphony at all.

Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3) - One Final Effort is good, but Enemy Attack is damn near excellent (even if it falls a bit shy of champ powered to me).

Alice (Shadow Hearts) vs. Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) - Matchup of meh.

Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (Wild ARMs 5) - Not Feel a Fear.

The Stage is Set (Final Fantasy VIII) vs. Primal Eyes (Parasite Eve) - PE music > FF8 music

Time of the Dreamwatch (Chrono Cross) vs. Sunlight Filtering through the Trees (Tales of Legendia) - Not at all close.

Howl of the Departed (Lost Odyssey) vs. At the Frozen Depths of the Heart (Wild ARMs 5) - HotD needs to be gone.

Battle on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V) vs. Under the Stars (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Splat.

FAILURE BRACKET
Hydlide (Hydlide) vs. Honeybee Manor (Final Fantasy VII) - This vs. Second Miltia would totally be worth thinking about.  I simply can't bring myself to care about 10 second looping tracks, regardless of how shitty they may or may not be.

ANIME
Canta Per Me (Noir) vs. Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) - Canta Per Me is pretty damn good.  Rise, not so much.

Bring all the Wisdom to Britain! (Read or Die OVA) vs. Hanabi (Bleach) - This isn't worth thinking about.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 02:58:26 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country) vs. The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI): I don't really like it, but Stickerbrush Symphony is badly overhyped.
Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (Wild ARMs 5)

Time of the Dreamwatch (Chrono Cross) vs. Sunlight Filtering through the Trees (Tales of Legendia)
Howl of the Departed (Lost Odyssey) vs. At the Frozen Depths of the Heart (Wild ARMs 5)
Battle on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V) vs. Under the Stars (Final Fantasy Tactics)

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME
Canta Per Me (Noir) vs. Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig): Argh. Either would crush anything in this pool, videogame music included.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 04:08:32 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country) vs. The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) - But...but I like both of these. Sigh.
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3) - Another close one. We're off to a good start.
Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (Wild ARMs 5) - One of these tracks made my toes tap. Guess which one.

Time of the Dreamwatch (Chrono Cross) vs. Sunlight Filtering through the Trees (Tales of Legendia) - Tough call. They're both very soothing. Eh, we'll go with Chrono Cross for now.
Howl of the Departed (Lost Odyssey) vs. At the Frozen Depths of the Heart (Wild ARMs 5) - Close.
Battle on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V) vs. Under the Stars (Final Fantasy Tactics) - And another close one! Man, seven of these eight matches ended up being fairly close. This is a good pool.

FAILURE BRACKET
Hydlide (Hydlide) vs. Honeybee Manor (Final Fantasy VII) - I...I don't want to think about this match.

ANIME
Canta Per Me (Noir) vs. Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) - Does Rise still rock? Yes, Rise still rocks. Just thought I'd check.
Bring all the Wisdom to Britain! (Read or Die OVA) vs. Hanabi (Bleach) - This contest needs more harmonica.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 06:00:32 AM »
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country) vs. The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 06:27:26 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country) vs. The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) - Stickerbrush isn't bad background music, but Savior is a better song by miles.
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3) - Nice match, finding myself more impressed by Effort though.
Alice (Shadow Hearts) vs. Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) - Insert standard Gate bias for upbeat here.
Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (Wild ARMs 5) - More general goodness. Road edges out Fear by...I don't really know, actually. Just had me bobbing my head along with it more.

The Stage is Set (Final Fantasy VIII) vs. Primal Eyes (Parasite Eve) - Not much to say here.
Time of the Dreamwatch (Chrono Cross) vs. Sunlight Filtering through the Trees (Tales of Legendia) - Dreamwatch is a personal favorite.
Howl of the Departed (Lost Odyssey) vs. At the Frozen Depths of the Heart (Wild ARMs 5) - About 30 seconds of Howl was all I could take. Dear god that grated on my ears. >_<
Battle on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V) vs. Under the Stars (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Geh, don't want either of these to go.

FAILURE BRACKET
Hydlide (Hydlide) vs. Honeybee Manor (Final Fantasy VII) - Hydlide somewhat amuses me. Honeybee Manor does not. That noise. >_<
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 06:30:53 AM by Gatewalker »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 03:32:05 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 06:03:05 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3)- A valiant effort, though.
Alice (Shadow Hearts) vs. Nefertiti (Mana Khemia)- BOth occupy that strange area short of the truly excellent but well ahead of the masses.  Either loses to Enemy Attack in two rounds, but beats the rest of the pool (including Big Bridge, though by a narrow margin).  And they both occupy the same spot in that range, but are completely different of character.
Ultimately I felt like Alice was a better tragedy track than Nefertiti was a battle track, so it got the vote, but really it's pretty hard to go wrong here.
Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (Wild ARMs 5)- It's... creative.  Interesting if not necessarily pleasant.  Road to Tomorrow is pretty unabashedly knocking off traditional Naruke dungeon tracks and, while it generally succeeds the drop in quality is pretty noticable.  Unfair perhaps?  But eh.

The Stage is Set (Final Fantasy VIII) vs. Primal Eyes (Parasite Eve)- I love the bridge in Primal Eyes, but like Stage is Set as a whole piece more, really nice progression to it.
Howl of the Departed (Lost Odyssey) vs. At the Frozen Depths of the Heart (Wild ARMs 5)- I... think?  Howl of the Departed is a goddamned odd little song, I'm not really at all sure what to make of it.  Frozen Depth's is still three awesome songs foolishly crammed into one okay track, but... I dunno.

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 07:56:25 PM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Tonfa

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 04:06:03 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country) vs. The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI): Symphony makes for a great mood piece, but I grow to like Merciless Savior more each time I hear it. So epic, in the non-ironic sense of the word.

Time of the Dreamwatch (Chrono Cross) vs. Sunlight Filtering through the Trees (Tales of Legendia): Oh, this has definitely grown on me. Very nice.
Howl of the Departed (Lost Odyssey) vs. At the Frozen Depths of the Heart (Wild ARMs 5): depart already

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 05:30:43 AM »
Ah, Rounds 1 and 2.  You rock.

Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country) vs. The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) - More interesting.
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3) - Both are excellent, but Enemy Attack is one of Legendia's best songs.  Which says a lot.
Alice (Shadow Hearts) vs. Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) - Agree with Cmdr that both of these are in the "almost awesome" tier.  Think I'll go Alice, which is about as good as the piece can get, as I feel Nefertiti could possibly be upped a notch.  Good match though.
Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (Wild ARMs 5) - Meh to Feel a Fear.

The Stage is Set (Final Fantasy VIII) vs. Primal Eyes (Parasite Eve) - Oooh, close one.
Time of the Dreamwatch (Chrono Cross) vs. Sunlight Filtering through the Trees (Tales of Legendia) - Legendia.  Extremely close match, good times either way.
Howl of the Departed (Lost Odyssey) vs. At the Frozen Depths of the Heart (Wild ARMs 5) - Match of the weird.  I believe that Howl wins the weird-off.
Battle on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V) vs. Under the Stars (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Going with the mood piece.

FAILURE BRACKET
Hydlide (Hydlide) vs. Honeybee Manor (Final Fantasy VII) - Honeybee isn't THAT bad.

ANIME
Canta Per Me (Noir) vs. Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) - Rise is worthy competition here!  Still going with the godlike Canta per me.
Bring all the Wisdom to Britain! (Read or Die OVA) vs. Hanabi (Bleach) - So Hanabi pulled it out after all.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 05:35:21 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 02:49:23 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country) vs. The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) - Eiyuu Densetu music is awesmoe in general.

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 03:09:25 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME
Bring all the Wisdom to Britain! (Read or Die OVA) vs. Hanabi (Bleach)- Pass.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 04:19:23 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 05:03:32 AM »
Remember, since this round is only open for five days, we close at midnight EST tomorrow, which is Thursday!  Get your votes in now!

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 07:48:44 AM »

Too out of it to vote anymore then this urgh....

Idun

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 06:53:40 PM »

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 11:17:45 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country) vs. The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) - Match of Meh.
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3) - At least OFE is worth listening to.
Alice (Shadow Hearts) vs. Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) - I like Alice, but Nefertiti is good.
Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (Wild ARMs 5) - Guilty Gear is overhyped.

The Stage is Set (Final Fantasy VIII) vs. Primal Eyes (Parasite Eve) - Not expecially close
Time of the Dreamwatch (Chrono Cross) vs. Sunlight Filtering through the Trees (Tales of Legendia) - They're both strong environmental pieces, just I like the guitars in the CC piece more.
Howl of the Departed (Lost Odyssey) vs. At the Frozen Depths of the Heart (Wild ARMs 5) - Hrm, annoying opening but generally better vs. mediocre but never annoying.  I think better wins today.
Battle on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V) vs. Under the Stars (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Tough match, but I'm feeling understated today.

FAILURE BRACKET
Hydlide (Hydlide) vs. Honeybee Manor (Final Fantasy VII) - Eh, don't care.  Neither of them are failure enough.

ANIME
Canta Per Me (Noir) vs. Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) - Mmm, very good match here. And gets a bye next round to boot.
Bring all the Wisdom to Britain! (Read or Die OVA) vs. Hanabi (Bleach) - Depressing, since neither of these dance like they want to win, but at least the RoD piece is worth listening to.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 11:37:38 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME
Canta Per Me (Noir) vs. Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) - This is a rough one, just feeling this one more today.  Both damned good songs, though.

WanderingMind

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 04:41:28 AM »

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 05:44:16 AM »
Results!

MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country) [3] vs. The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) [13]
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) [7] vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3) [11]
Alice (Shadow Hearts) [2] vs. Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) [15]
Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) [3] vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (Wild ARMs 5) [14]

The Stage is Set (Final Fantasy VIII) [6] vs. Primal Eyes (Parasite Eve) [11]
Time of the Dreamwatch (Chrono Cross) [10] vs. Sunlight Filtering through the Trees (Tales of Legendia) [7]
Howl of the Departed (Lost Odyssey) [4] vs. At the Frozen Depths of the Heart (Wild ARMs 5) [13]
Battle on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V) [10] vs. Under the Stars (Final Fantasy Tactics) [7]

FAILURE BRACKET
Hydlide (Hydlide) [7] vs. Honeybee Manor (Final Fantasy VII) [8]

ANIME
Canta Per Me (Noir) [10] vs. Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) [4]
Bring all the Wisdom to Britain! (Read or Die OVA) [7] vs. Hanabi (Bleach)[6]