Author Topic: Music Tournament of DOOM Vol. 2 ~Pool 13~  (Read 3409 times)

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Music Tournament of DOOM Vol. 2 ~Pool 13~
« on: April 07, 2009, 03:45:56 AM »
I'm starting to wonder if Putfile might be down permanently at this point, it still says it's undergoing maintenance.  Oh well, imeem appears to be working fairly well so we'll stick with that.  As a reminder, if it prompts to login you can use username "c863880@bsnow.net" and the password "Password".  Pools 13 and 14 will close at midnight EST Monday, April 13.  Also if anyone has a better quality version of The War Song please let me know.

MAIN TOURNAMENT
Main Title (Orchestral) (Panzer Dragoon) vs. Pokefloats (Super Smash Brothers Melee)
A World in Crisis (Final Fantasy VII) vs. Terrible-Monster Attacking Crew! (Wild ARMs 5)
A Despair-Filled Farewell ~ Battle with the Colossus~ (Shadow of the Colossus) vs. The War Song (Sam & Max Season 1)
Sonic Boom (Super Smash Brothers Brawl) vs. Thema der Irismaschinen (RozenKreuzStillette)
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Musicbox (Silent Hill 2)
Karma (Tales of the Abyss) vs. The Oath (Final Fantasy VIII)
Bonds of Sea and Fire (Xenogears) vs. Murdering Princess (Wild ARMs ACF)
EXEC_LINCA/. (Ar Tonelico) vs. The Mountain of No Return (Wild ARMs 5)

FAILURE BRACKET
Eternity (Blue Dragon) vs. Final Toccata (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)

ANIME
XTC (Witchblade) vs. Zero (World Destruction)
Read or Die Theme (Read or Die OVA) vs. Rolling Star (Bleach)

Full pool download is available here: http://www.flyupload.com/?fid=576294746

Tonfa

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of DOOM Vol. 2 ~Pool 13~
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 04:40:47 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Main Title (Orchestral) (Panzer Dragoon) vs. Pokefloats (Super Smash Brothers Melee)
A World in Crisis (Final Fantasy VII) vs. Terrible-Monster Attacking Crew! (Wild ARMs 5)
A Despair-Filled Farewell ~ Battle with the Colossus~ (Shadow of the Colossus) vs. The War Song (Sam & Max Season 1): Man, I'm very underwhelmed by most SotC music (this included) and still 5 seconds of War Song made this choice crystal clear.
Sonic Boom (Super Smash Brothers Brawl) vs. Thema der Irismaschinen (RozenKreuzStillette): sonic vocals

FAILURE BRACKET
Eternity (Blue Dragon) vs. Final Toccata (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night): I do not like Eternity at all, but there is something to be said for being the new posterchild of going places WAY TOO SLOWLY. My mind was blown when I skipped ahead a minute in Final Toccata two minutes in and noted it wasn't just looping.

ANIME
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 05:51:44 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Main Title (Orchestral) (Panzer Dragoon) vs. Pokefloats (Super Smash Brothers Melee) - Not particularly close.  Oh, wait, that's not the Parasite Eve Main Theme (Orchestral)?  Silly two-word games that start with P...  Eh, main themes still win the day, though not by as much.
A World in Crisis (Final Fantasy VII) vs. Terrible-Monster Attacking Crew! (Wild ARMs 5) - Huh.  World Crisis is kinda a weird nom....  works fine in game, but bounces back and forth a lot out of game.  The WA5 track is consistent and fun.  I feel guilty about this vote, but so it goes.
A Despair-Filled Farewell ~ Battle with the Colossus~ (Shadow of the Colossus) vs. The War Song (Sam & Max Season 1) - War Song is cute but not quite Tom Lehrer level, which it clearly wants to be.
Sonic Boom (Super Smash Brothers Brawl) vs. Thema der Irismaschinen (RozenKreuzStillette) - Eh.  Irismaschinen has some nice parts, but I really don't like the electric guitar.  Voting the cheese.
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Musicbox (Silent Hill 2) - Ah, here's the PE track.
Karma (Tales of the Abyss) vs. The Oath (Final Fantasy VIII) - Tentative vote since the linked version of Karma is currently the one with the breathy bad singer.  Vote will change if it's vs. American Karma with the sweet guitar riffs.
Bonds of Sea and Fire (Xenogears) vs. Murdering Princess (Wild ARMs ACF) - Murdering Princess is okay and all, but it takes a bit more than that to beat a good piece of the XG soundtrack.
EXEC_LINCA/. (Ar Tonelico) vs. The Mountain of No Return (Wild ARMs 5) - Mountain is nothing special, LINCA is at least interesting.

FAILURE BRACKET
Eternity (Blue Dragon) vs. Finale Toccata (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) - Eternity wins even when winning means losing~  (More seriously...   Finale Toccata is good!  It gets overplayed in the upside down castle, sure, but it's a dramatic piece with a nice long loop.  Eternity, meanwhile, is AWESOME IN BOTH DIRECTIONS.)

ANIME
XTC (Witchblade) vs. Zero (World Destruction) - Random comment: The World Destruction OP from the DS game is actually pretty awesome, and better than Zero.  But Zero's good, certainly better than XTC.
Read or Die Theme (Read or Die OVA) vs. Rolling Star (Bleach) - ROD theme is only okay, but I actively dislike Rolling Star.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 05:54:25 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Main Title (Orchestral) (Panzer Dragoon) vs. Pokefloats (Super Smash Brothers Melee) - lol pokemon music

A World in Crisis (Final Fantasy VII) vs. Terrible-Monster Attacking Crew! (Wild ARMs 5) - Not close

A Despair-Filled Farewell ~ Battle with the Colossus~ (Shadow of the Colossus) vs. The War Song (Sam & Max Season 1) - Is more amusing in its failure

Sonic Boom (Super Smash Brothers Brawl) vs. Thema der Irismaschinen (RozenKreuzStillette) - Yep.

Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Musicbox (Silent Hill 2) - Squish.

Karma (Tales of the Abyss) vs. The Oath (Final Fantasy VIII) - The Oath is good.  Karma... not so much.

Bonds of Sea and Fire (Xenogears) vs. Murdering Princess (Wild ARMs ACF) - Sure, why not.

EXEC_LINCA/. (Ar Tonelico) vs. The Mountain of No Return (Wild ARMs 5) - The vocals on Linca could use some work.

FAILURE BRACKET
Eternity (Blue Dragon) vs. Final Toccata (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) - Toccata is really slow, yes, but that's the only thing wrong with it.  I don't dislike Eternity either, so this is more of a Toccata antivote than anything else.

ANIME
XTC (Witchblade) vs. Zero (World Destruction) - This match, though?  This is a matchup of failure.

Read or Die Theme (Read or Die OVA) vs. Rolling Star (Bleach) - Read or Die Theme isn't much, but it'll do here.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 06:15:42 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
- Impressive.

- Well that was easy.

A Despair-Filled Farewell ~ Battle with the Colossus~ (Shadow of the Colossus) vs. The War Song (Sam & Max Season 1)
- What the heck is that.

Sonic Boom (Super Smash Brothers Brawl) vs. Thema der Irismaschinen (RozenKreuzStillette)
- Meh.

- Well that was easy mk 2.

- Instrumental version is better, but vocal version's not bad.

- Everything's better with princesses.  Especially murdering ones.

- Hey look, two of my favorite dungeon musics.

FAILURE BRACKET
- cheese > wait was there music playing

ANIME
- Complete lack of caring.

- Eh.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:17:59 AM by Talaysen »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 07:03:49 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Main Title (Orchestral) (Panzer Dragoon) vs. Pokefloats (Super Smash Brothers Melee): My nom vs. something that doesn't leave much of an impression.
A World in Crisis (Final Fantasy VII) vs. Terrible-Monster Attacking Crew! (Wild ARMs 5): I find that cutscene music often doesn't stand up well out of game because needing to have a song follow the action onscreen usually means the resulting song has little structure of its own. World in Crisis is a case in point and it's against a superb boss track.
A Despair-Filled Farewell ~ Battle with the Colossus~ (Shadow of the Colossus) vs. The War Song (Sam & Max Season 1): War Song is amusing and all, but drama generally >>> funny, for me.
Sonic Boom (Super Smash Brothers Brawl) vs. Thema der Irismaschinen (RozenKreuzStillette): SONIC ROCK. Why does there have to be SONIC ROCK.
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Musicbox (Silent Hill 2): Champ-powered.
Karma (Tales of the Abyss) vs. The Oath (Final Fantasy VIII): Huh, vocal version. Tend to prefer instrumental Karma, but that may just be because I'm used to it. Either version would win here, though.
Bonds of Sea and Fire (Xenogears) vs. Murdering Princess (Wild ARMs ACF): Never been impressed with this XG song.
EXEC_LINCA/. (Ar Tonelico) vs. The Mountain of No Return (Wild ARMs 5): Good vs. I don't really care.

FAILURE BRACKET
Eternity (Blue Dragon) vs. Final Toccata (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night): Seemingly endless prelude is still less heinous than Eternity. Actually, I kinda like Final Toccata.

ANIME
XTC (Witchblade) vs. Zero (World Destruction): Niftier guitar tone? Sure.
Read or Die Theme (Read or Die OVA) vs. Rolling Star (Bleach): Spy music > Rolling Star vocals.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 05:11:28 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Main Title (Orchestral) (Panzer Dragoon) vs. Pokefloats (Super Smash Brothers Melee)- Sure, I'll bite.
A Despair-Filled Farewell ~ Battle with the Colossus~ (Shadow of the Colossus) vs. The War Song (Sam & Max Season 1)- SotC song that... goes places and does stuff?  Wow.  Beats teh disappointing War Song (c'mon, Sam and Max!  You can be much funnier about such an inherently hilarious concept!)
Sonic Boom (Super Smash Brothers Brawl) vs. Thema der Irismaschinen (RozenKreuzStillette)- So I was all set to vote for the ideal cheese balance, but then it turned our RKS had awesome+ music.
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Musicbox (Silent Hill 2)- I really like musicbox.  The upbeat tempo but slight dissonance seems just completely awesome for mood music while still keeping a nice melody that makes for good out-of-context listening.
That the Parasite Eve track is still better is merely testament to Shimomura being an incarnation of the Music Goddess.

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:14:00 PM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 12:28:52 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Main Title (Orchestral) (Panzer Dragoon) vs. Pokefloats (Super Smash Brothers Melee) - ...Pokefloats? Seriously?
A Despair-Filled Farewell ~ Battle with the Colossus~ (Shadow of the Colossus) vs. The War Song (Sam & Max Season 1) - Yeah, it's been said already.

Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Musicbox (Silent Hill 2) - Musicbox was okay, but there really isn't a whole lot to it.
Karma (Tales of the Abyss) vs. The Oath (Final Fantasy VIII) - Karma ended up being better than I thought it would be, but The Oath is a classic.
EXEC_LINCA/. (Ar Tonelico) vs. The Mountain of No Return (Wild ARMs 5) - Ooooh, now this is a good match. I like both of these tracks.

FAILURE BRACKET
Eternity (Blue Dragon) vs. Final Toccata (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) - Oh, cool, Eternity is here. When I saw it in the main bracket, I didn't think it would show up in the Failure bracket as well. Anyway, yeah, Eternity sucks.

ANIME

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 01:09:49 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME
Read or Die Theme (Read or Die OVA) vs.]Rolling Star (Bleach)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 01:12:17 PM by dude789 »

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 03:10:36 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 05:39:00 AM »

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 10:32:25 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Main Title (Orchestral) (Panzer Dragoon) vs. Pokefloats (Super Smash Brothers Melee) - Hey, this is good.
A World in Crisis (Final Fantasy VII) vs. Terrible-Monster Attacking Crew! (Wild ARMs 5) - Easy enough.
Sonic Boom (Super Smash Brothers Brawl) vs. Thema der Irismaschinen (RozenKreuzStillette) - This is actually tough. I love me some good cheese, and Sonic Boom is wonderful cheese. but Thema is actively good. Hmm. Eh, underdog vote.
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Musicbox (Silent Hill 2) - Pretty easy.
Karma (Tales of the Abyss) vs. The Oath (Final Fantasy VIII) - Hmm, Japaneese Lyrics vs Goes Nowhere. -_- Goes Nowhere is the larger offender, so.
Bonds of Sea and Fire (Xenogears) vs. Murdering Princess (Wild ARMs ACF) - More going nowhere.
EXEC_LINCA/. (Ar Tonelico) vs. The Mountain of No Return (Wild ARMs 5) - Mountain is a little weak.

FAILURE BRACKET
Eternity (Blue Dragon) vs. Final Toccata (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) - Eternity is hilarious in it's failure. Toccata is just kinda there.

ANIME
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 05:58:54 AM »

MAIN TOURNAMENT
Main Title (Orchestral) (Panzer Dragoon) vs. Pokefloats (Super Smash Brothers Melee) - Has a giant Squirtle
A World in Crisis (Final Fantasy VII) vs. Terrible-Monster Attacking Crew! (Wild ARMs 5) - The good part of all of WA5's endless boss fights
A Despair-Filled Farewell ~ Battle with the Colossus~ (Shadow of the Colossus) vs. The War Song (Sam & Max Season 1) - It's good for you~, it's good for me~
Sonic Boom (Super Smash Brothers Brawl) vs. Thema der Irismaschinen (RozenKreuzStillette) - SONIC BOOM is the answer to all of life's problems
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Musicbox (Silent Hill 2) - Andy is not allowed to win
Karma (Tales of the Abyss) vs. The Oath (Final Fantasy VIII) - Male vocal hype, just because it's so rare~
Bonds of Sea and Fire (Xenogears) vs. Murdering Princess (Wild ARMs ACF) - CK is never allowed to win
EXEC_LINCA/. (Ar Tonelico) vs. The Mountain of No Return (Wild ARMs 5) - And now back to WA5 mediocrity vs. an awesome At (what?) thing~

FAILURE BRACKET
Eternity (Blue Dragon) vs. Final Toccata (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) - Eternity is one of the better things ever
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 10:24:38 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Main Title (Orchestral) (Panzer Dragoon) vs. Pokefloats (Super Smash Brothers Melee) - Seriously
A World in Crisis (Final Fantasy VII) vs. Terrible-Monster Attacking Crew! (Wild ARMs 5) - The end credits?  Odd choice.
A Despair-Filled Farewell ~ Battle with the Colossus~ (Shadow of the Colossus) vs. The War Song (Sam & Max Season 1) - Hey, it's good for you and for me.
Sonic Boom (Super Smash Brothers Brawl) vs. Thema der Irismaschinen (RozenKreuzStillette) - That second piece reminds me of something good.  Just can't remember what as of right now.  Hmm...  SaGa music?  Slightly more rocking Chateau Orluge?  Whatever, it's awesome, and up against something I turned down to 0% frequency in Brawl.
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Musicbox (Silent Hill 2) - Hmm, both sound kinda similar, but Musibox doesn't last forever which lets it win here.
Karma (Tales of the Abyss) vs. The Oath (Final Fantasy VIII) - Damn.  Both of these deserve a spot in the pool finals.  Have to stand by the Oath here, but...  if it does lose here, Round 1 or not, it's a fitting loss against a worthy foe.
Bonds of Sea and Fire (Xenogears) vs. Murdering Princess (Wild ARMs ACF) - Just like the style more.
EXEC_LINCA/. (Ar Tonelico) vs. The Mountain of No Return (Wild ARMs 5) - So one of KArma or Oath needs to drop but one of these two lives?  Meh.

FAILURE BRACKET
Eternity (Blue Dragon) vs. Final Toccata (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) - Eternity is awesome.

ANIME
XTC (Witchblade) vs. Zero (World Destruction) - Hmm, good match.
Read or Die Theme (Read or Die OVA) vs. Rolling Star (Bleach) - Has some actual emotion in it.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 04:24:04 PM »

MAIN TOURNAMENT
Main Title (Orchestral) (Panzer Dragoon) vs. Pokefloats (Super Smash Brothers Melee)- Not close.
Bonds of Sea and Fire (Xenogears) vs. Murdering Princess (Wild ARMs ACF)- Unremarkable WA track trumps really unremarkable XG track.
EXEC_LINCA/. (Ar Tonelico) vs. The Mountain of No Return (Wild ARMs 5)- Doesn't make my ears bleed.

FAILURE BRACKET
Eternity (Blue Dragon) vs. Final Toccata (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)- Final Toccata works well enough for me.

ANIME
XTC (Witchblade) vs. Zero (World Destruction)- Fails slightly less.
Read or Die Theme (Read or Die OVA) vs. Rolling Star (Bleach)- The anime music's been a mix of really good and awful. This pool leans more towards awful.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 08:48:37 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
A World in Crisis (Final Fantasy VII) vs. Terrible-Monster Attacking Crew! (Wild ARMs 5)- Mehhhh
Karma (Tales of the Abyss) vs. The Oath (Final Fantasy VIII)- No annoying lyrics
...into the nightfall.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 03:43:43 AM »
Remember, pools 13 and 14 close at midnight EST tomorrow!  Get your votes in now!

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 12:56:15 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME

WanderingMind

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 04:33:41 AM »

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 05:30:26 AM »
Results!

MAIN TOURNAMENT
Main Title (Orchestral) (Panzer Dragoon) [13] vs. Pokefloats (Super Smash Brothers Melee) [2]
A World in Crisis (Final Fantasy VII) [zero] vs. Terrible-Monster Attacking Crew! (Wild ARMs 5) [17]
A Despair-Filled Farewell ~ Battle with the Colossus~ (Shadow of the Colossus) [12] vs. The War Song (Sam & Max Season 1) [4]
Sonic Boom (Super Smash Brothers Brawl) [4] vs. Thema der Irismaschinen (RozenKreuzStillette) [12]
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) [15] vs. Musicbox (Silent Hill 2) [1]
Karma (Tales of the Abyss) [8, tiebreak by Xeroma] vs. The Oath (Final Fantasy VIII) [8]
Bonds of Sea and Fire (Xenogears) [4] vs. Murdering Princess (Wild ARMs ACF) [12]
EXEC_LINCA/. (Ar Tonelico) [7] vs. The Mountain of No Return (Wild ARMs 5) 8]

FAILURE BRACKET
Eternity (Blue Dragon) [8] vs. Final Toccata (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) [5]

ANIME
XTC (Witchblade) [7] vs. Zero (World Destruction) [4]
Read or Die Theme (Read or Die OVA) [6] vs. Rolling Star (Bleach) [5]