Register

Author Topic: Music Tournament of DOOM Vol. 2 ~Pool 14~  (Read 3881 times)

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:57:12 AM by Yakumo »

Tonfa

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of DOOM Vol. 2 ~Pool 14~
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 05:33:53 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
ICARO (Acoustic) (Shadow Hearts 3) vs. Thames, the Men of the Sea (Xenogears)
Into the Wilderness (Wild ARMs) vs. A New Trial is in Session (Apollo Justice): I like New Trial, but...harsh, man. Harsh.
Klavier Gavin - Guilty Love (Apollo Justice) vs. Men of War (Breath of Fire IV): http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=3039487
To the End of the Woven Tale of the 108 Stars (Suikoden 5) vs. Calling (The World Ends With You): TWEWY soundtrack is infectious.
Tenacity (Tales of Vesperia) vs. Promised Pain (Xenosaga 3)
Mecha Dragon (Megaman 2: The Power Fighters) vs. Theme of Luminous Arc (Luminous Arc): OKKUSEN-oh wait
Trap Phantasm (Megaman ZX Advent) vs. Prelude of Battle (Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song)
Cosmos (Dissidia) vs. Opening (Suikoden 2)

FAILURE BRACKET
Chaotic Dance (Baten Kaitos) vs. Gale (Chrono Cross): Gale. Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale, Gale. This Gale. (Chaotic Dance does a fine job of being horrible too, to its...credit, I suppose.)

ANIME
Uninstall (Bokurano) vs. Kotowari: In Memories (Kenshin OVA)
"Libera Me" from Hell (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) vs. Aura (.hack//SIGN): This would be Godlike right here.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 06:31:01 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
ICARO (Acoustic) (Shadow Hearts 3) vs. Thames, the Men of the Sea (Xenogears) - Not close.

Into the Wilderness (Wild ARMs) vs. A New Trial is in Session (Apollo Justice) - PW music fails to impress

Klavier Gavin - Guilty Love (Apollo Justice) vs. Men of War (Breath of Fire IV) - Not terribly impressive, but Men of War sucks

To the End of the Woven Tale of the 108 Stars (Suikoden 5) vs. Calling (The World Ends With You) - Calling is fail

Tenacity (Tales of Vesperia) vs. Promised Pain (Xenosaga 3) - Yep.

Mecha Dragon (Megaman 2: The Power Fighters) vs. Theme of Luminous Arc (Luminous Arc) - Meh.

Trap Phantasm (Megaman ZX Advent) vs. Prelude of Battle (Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song) - Less of an assault on my ears

Cosmos (Dissidia) vs. Opening (Suikoden 2) - Cosmos's vocals offend me.

FAILURE BRACKET
Chaotic Dance (Baten Kaitos) vs. Gale (Chrono Cross) - This Gale, indeed.  Chaotic Dance *tries* to outfail here, but does not succeed.

ANIME
Uninstall (Bokurano) vs. Kotowari: In Memories (Kenshin OVA) - Eh.

"Libera Me" from Hell (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) vs. Aura (.hack//SIGN) - Yep.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 06:37:14 AM »
Icaro - Sure. It's a pretty solid track. I kinda like Man of the Sea but yeah.
Into the Wilderness - PW is <3. PW music is not. Into the Wilderness is a classic for a reason.
Men of War - Tonfa wins at life, but above largely applies... though honestly, it's more that I really dig Men of War. Just a very fresh and unique style for a battle theme.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 06:39:39 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Into the Wilderness (Wild ARMs) vs A New Trial is in Session (Apollo Justice)
Klavier Gavin - Guilty Love (Apollo Justice) vs. Men of War (Breath of Fire IV)
To the End of the Woven Tale of the 108 Stars (Suikoden 5) vs. Calling (The World Ends With You)- Mmm.  Not sure.  Waven Tale is a very pretty piece, but I remember vividly that I spent about a month humming the chorus to Callling while/after playing TWEWY.  I... think I'll go against my usual grain and vote for the catchy one today.
Mecha Dragon (Megaman 2: The Power Fighters) vs. Theme of Luminous Arc (Luminous Arc)
Trap Phantasm (Megaman ZX Advent) vs. Prelude of Battle (Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song)

FAILURE BRACKET
Chaotic Dance (Baten Kaitos) vs. Gale (Chrono Cross)- They're like the same song.  But uh... I dunno, Chaotic Dance uses more synth which is usually a CK turnoff or something.

ANIME
"Libera Me" from Hell (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) vs. Aura (.hack//SIGN)- ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH!
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:42:40 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
ICARO (Acoustic) (Shadow Hearts 3) vs. Thames, the Men of the Sea (Xenogears): Thames is wholly unremarkable.
Into the Wilderness (Wild ARMs) vs. A New Trial is in Session (Apollo Justice): Actually leaves an impression.
Klavier Gavin - Guilty Love (Apollo Justice) vs. Men of War (Breath of Fire IV): Fail-off. May as well keep up with the left side.
To the End of the Woven Tale of the 108 Stars (Suikoden 5) vs. Calling (The World Ends With You): Less obnoxious. I've gotta say, I'm pretty underwhelmed by this pool so far.
Tenacity (Tales of Vesperia) vs. Promised Pain (Xenosaga 3): Promised Pain is hopelessly melodramatic, but that rarely stops me from liking music.
Mecha Dragon (Megaman 2: The Power Fighters) vs. Theme of Luminous Arc (Luminous Arc): Not sure how much I dig the remix here, but it's hard to argue with a classic.
Trap Phantasm (Megaman ZX Advent) vs. Prelude of Battle (Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song): Eh, sure. Has some nice parts and Prelude isn't one of my favorite RSMS tracks.
Cosmos (Dissidia) vs. Opening (Suikoden 2): Eh, sure.

FAILURE BRACKET
Chaotic Dance (Baten Kaitos) vs. Gale (Chrono Cross): Vote for the underdog. They're both pretty awful, of course. Random gibberish in the background is probably the worst aspect of Chaotic Dance.

ANIME
Uninstall (Bokurano) vs. Kotowari: In Memories (Kenshin OVA): I guess. I recall that Uninstall was hyped by people before the contest, but I've gotta say that I'm not much impressed.
"Libera Me" from Hell (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) vs. Aura (.hack//SIGN): Libera Me seemed like it might be okay before the hip-hop started. Then it turned into everything I don't want to hear in vocals.

What a depressing pool. Don't think I'll be keeping any of these songs. (EDIT: Well, okay, Into the Wilderness, but I already had that one.)

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 11:03:23 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
- Meh.

Into the Wilderness (Wild ARMs) vs. A New Trial is in Session (Apollo Justice)
- Yeah.

- Hm, tough one.

To the End of the Woven Tale of the 108 Stars (Suikoden 5) vs. Calling (The World Ends With You)
- To the End of the Woven Tale of the 108 Stars is beautiful.  Calling, not so.

- Tenacity needs to A) find out what the heck it wants to do and B) not sound like it was in a Star Ocean game.

Mecha Dragon (Megaman 2: The Power Fighters) vs. Theme of Luminous Arc (Luminous Arc)
- Theme of Luminous Arc is great.  Mecha Dragon is only decent at best.

- Trap Phantasm was pretty good, but Prelude of Battle rocks face.

- What, Cosmos has lyrics?  I just ignore them.

FAILURE BRACKET
Chaotic Dance (Baten Kaitos) vs. Gale (Chrono Cross)
- Chaotic Dance is terrible.

ANIME
- Mmm~

"Libera Me" from Hell (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) vs. Aura (.hack//SIGN)
- Easy.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 01:43:42 AM by Talaysen »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:38:06 PM »
ICARO (Acoustic) (Shadow Hearts 3) vs. Thames, the Men of the Sea (Xenogears) - Thames is cute, sure, but that's not enough here.
Into the Wilderness (Wild ARMs) vs. A New Trial is in Session! (Apollo Justice) - Close match, tossing a vote the underdog's way.  I really like A New Trial; one of the better themes from the PW games.
Klavier Gavin - Guilty Love (Apollo Justice) vs. Men of War (Breath of Fire IV) - I guess.
To the End of the Woven Tale of the 108 Stars (Suikoden 5) vs. Calling (The World Ends With You) - Calling is boring.
Tenacity (Tales of Vesperia) vs. Promised Pain (Xenosaga 3) - Tough draw, Tenacity.
Mecha Dragon (Megaman 2: The Power Fighters) vs. Theme of Luminous Arc (Luminous Arc) - Tricky.  The new instrumentation to Wily1 isn't bad?  So I can't really hold "bad remix" against it.  Luminous Arc's theme is solid and earnest heroic music.  Huh, could go either way.
Trap Phantasm (Megaman ZX Advent) vs. Prelude of Battle (Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song) - Phantasm is...  active, at least.  Surprisingly close match, as Prelude of Battle felt like it trailed off eventually, but still pulls out the win here.
Cosmos (Dissidia) vs. Opening (Suikoden 2) - Cosmos isn't bad!  (Though the lyrics are...  yeah.)  I like S2's opening more.

FAILURE BRACKET
Chaotic Dance (Baten Kaitos) vs. Gale (Chrono Cross) - If this had been Bitter Dance, it would have been a tough choice.

ANIME
"Libera Me" from Hell (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) vs. Aura (.hack//SIGN) - Unholy slaughters here.  Aura and Kotowari are both godlike.

Side comment: Libera Me from Hell is at least an amusing effort.  It reminds me of a weird play/opera/whatever I read about recently, "La Didone."  ( http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/06/theater/reviews/06dido.html ) Apparently one of those avant-garde theatre groups is doing a sorta-simultaneous combination of a 17th century Italian Opera and 1965 B-movie "Planet of the Vampires."  It sounds...  interesting, though that doesn't always mean "good."

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 01:16:18 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
ICARO (Acoustic) (Shadow Hearts 3) vs. Thames, the Men of the Sea (Xenogears) - *epic pose*
To the End of the Woven Tale of the 108 Stars (Suikoden 5) vs. Calling (The World Ends With You) - Kind of odd, but in a quirky sort of way.

Tenacity (Tales of Vesperia) vs. Promised Pain (Xenosaga 3) - I'm voting for Xenosaga music over Sakuraba? Someone kill me.
Trap Phantasm (Megaman ZX Advent) vs. Prelude of Battle (Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song) - Definitely the closest match of the pool for me.

FAILURE BRACKET
Chaotic Dance (Baten Kaitos) vs. Gale (Chrono Cross) - Bah. I like Chaotic Dance, dang it. If you think Chaotic Dance is bad, you need to hear Chaotic Dance 2 from Baten Kaitos Origins. Now that track is annoying.

ANIME
Uninstall (Bokurano) vs. Kotowari: In Memories (Kenshin OVA) - Not a huge fan of Uninstall, but I just couldn't bring myself to care about Kotowari.

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 05:34:17 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
To the End of the Woven Tale of the 108 Stars (Suikoden 5) vs. Calling (The World Ends With You)

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 05:35:58 AM »

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 01:09:04 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 11:57:50 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
ICARO (Acoustic) (Shadow Hearts 3) vs. Thames, the Men of the Sea (Xenogears) - Easy enough.
Into the Wilderness (Wild ARMs) vs. A New Trial is in Session (Apollo Justice) - Champ powered for me.
Klavier Gavin - Guilty Love (Apollo Justice) vs. Men of War (Breath of Fire IV) - Just feels stronger.
To the End of the Woven Tale of the 108 Stars (Suikoden 5) vs. Calling (The World Ends With You) - Catchy.
Tenacity (Tales of Vesperia) vs. Promised Pain (Xenosaga 3) - Hmm, both are decent, going with Pain, won't be upset if it goes the other way..
Mecha Dragon (Megaman 2: The Power Fighters) vs. Theme of Luminous Arc (Luminous Arc) - Super fighting robot~
Trap Phantasm (Megaman ZX Advent) vs. Prelude of Battle (Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song) - Prelude's not bad, Phantasm is better.
Cosmos (Dissidia) vs. Opening (Suikoden 2) - Sure.

FAILURE BRACKET
Chaotic Dance (Baten Kaitos) vs. Gale (Chrono Cross) - Gale doesn't actually bother me that much. It's still not good, but I wouldn't waste the energy to decry it as awful. Chaotic Dance, on the other claw, is pretty bad.

ANIME

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 04:11:16 AM »

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 06:30:17 AM »

MAIN TOURNAMENT
ICARO (Acoustic) (Shadow Hearts 3) vs. Thames, the Men of the Sea (Xenogears) - Manlier
Into the Wilderness (Wild ARMs) vs. A New Trial is in Session (Apollo Justice) - Into the Wilderness is a classic? Anyway, this is a good AJ track~
Klavier Gavin - Guilty Love (Apollo Justice) vs. Men of War (Breath of Fire IV) - KLAVIER is allowed to win
To the End of the Woven Tale of the 108 Stars (Suikoden 5) vs. Calling (The World Ends With You) - Calling~
Tenacity (Tales of Vesperia) vs. Promised Pain (Xenosaga 3) - XS3 wins more than Richard
Mecha Dragon (Megaman 2: The Power Fighters) vs. Theme of Luminous Arc (Luminous Arc) - LA1 IS NEVER ALLOWED TO WIN (okay Vivi is)
Trap Phantasm (Megaman ZX Advent) vs. Prelude of Battle (Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song) - RSMS clause or whatever
Cosmos (Dissidia) vs. Opening (Suikoden 2) - Meeple also wins more than Richard

FAILURE BRACKET
Chaotic Dance (Baten Kaitos) vs. Gale (Chrono Cross) - This is the place where CC should be winning

ANIME
"Libera Me" from Hell (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) vs. Aura (.hack//SIGN) - Much, much more rowing
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 04:28:46 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
ICARO (Acoustic) (Shadow Hearts 3) vs. Thames, the Men of the Sea (Xenogears)- EW to this match.
Klavier Gavin - Guilty Love (Apollo Justice) vs. Men of War (Breath of FireIV)
Cosmos (Dissidia) vs. Opening (Suikoden 2)- Lyrics are pretty good on cosmos.

FAILURE BRACKET
Chaotic Dance (Baten Kaitos) vs. Gale (Chrono Cross)- Chaotic dance has brief moments where it might not destroy your hearing. Gale is awful from start to end and plays way the fuck too often in game, so it's burned into your memory.

ANIME
Uninstall (Bokurano) vs. Kotowari: In Memories (Kenshin OVA)- Whatever.
"Libera Me" from Hell (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) vs. Aura (.hack//SIGN)- I'd have voted Libera me over the rest of the last anime pool! Aura is godlike like Snowfire said.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:07:21 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 04:59:44 PM »
Chaotic Dance (Baten Kaitos)

Not voting but just had to ask - anyone know what the lyrics are actually saying? All I can tell is that the first part sounds like "Why won't you win?" and then, near the end, I swear it starts saying "Feeling ga~ay" over and over...

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 03:29:32 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
ICARO (Acoustic) (Shadow Hearts 3) vs. Thames, the Men of the Sea (Xenogears) - Remember this being nicer.
Into the Wilderness (Wild ARMs) vs. A New Trial is in Session (Apollo Justice) - Such an easy no brainer.
Klavier Gavin - Guilty Love (Apollo Justice) vs. Men of War (Breath of Fire IV) - I actively dislike Klavier's theme
To the End of the Woven Tale of the 108 Stars (Suikoden 5) vs. Calling (The World Ends With You) - Calling is both really catchy and really annoying.  These two traits to not mesh well.
Tenacity (Tales of Vesperia) vs. Promised Pain (Xenosaga 3) - Better
Mecha Dragon (Megaman 2: The Power Fighters) vs. Theme of Luminous Arc (Luminous Arc) - OKKUS... right.
Trap Phantasm (Megaman ZX Advent) vs. Prelude of Battle (Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song) - These are both oddly good.
Cosmos (Dissidia) vs. Opening (Suikoden 2) - No brainer, even without the lyrics.

FAILURE BRACKET
Chaotic Dance (Baten Kaitos) vs. Gale (Chrono Cross) - Chaotic Dance has parts that aren't bad.

ANIME
Uninstall (Bokurano) vs. Kotowari: In Memories (Kenshin OVA) - Both good in entirely different ways.  I'll be happy whichever one wins.
"Libera Me" from Hell (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) vs. Aura (.hack//SIGN) - Because they're getting a pass.  Libera Me is actively bad, and Aura just kinda is there.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 03:44:15 AM »
Remember, pools 13 and 14 close at midnight EST tomorrow!  Get your votes in now!

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 01:07:04 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME

WanderingMind

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 04:48:12 AM »

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 05:54:41 AM »
Results!

MAIN TOURNAMENT
ICARO (Acoustic) (Shadow Hearts 3) [12] vs. Thames, the Men of the Sea (Xenogears) [4]
Into the Wilderness (Wild ARMs) [12] vs. A New Trial is in Session (Apollo Justice) [3]
Klavier Gavin - Guilty Love (Apollo Justice) [6] vs. Men of War (Breath of Fire IV) [8]
To the End of the Woven Tale of the 108 Stars (Suikoden 5) [7] vs. Calling (The World Ends With You) [8]
Tenacity (Tales of Vesperia) [zero] vs. Promised Pain (Xenosaga 3) [13]
Mecha Dragon (Megaman 2: The Power Fighters) [10] vs. Theme of Luminous Arc (Luminous Arc) [4]
Trap Phantasm (Megaman ZX Advent) [3] vs. Prelude of Battle (Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song) [11]
Cosmos (Dissidia) [9] vs. Opening (Suikoden 2) [5]

FAILURE BRACKET
Chaotic Dance (Baten Kaitos) [6] vs. Gale (Chrono Cross) [8]

ANIME
Uninstall (Bokurano) [7] vs. Kotowari: In Memories (Kenshin OVA) [4]
"Libera Me" from Hell (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) [4] vs. Aura (.hack//SIGN) [11]