Author Topic: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)  (Read 410624 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: LFT: An FFT mod (complete and available for download!)
« Reply #800 on: October 07, 2009, 09:45:54 PM »
for what it is worth, the Deep Dungeon longbow is now one of the better weapons in the game, as it comes with a nice WP as well as Auto-Haste and Auto-Float (not that that matters quite as much for Archers now).  The draw back of having a 20% chance of casting Quick on random enemies really isn't much, especially since between Charge and the freedom of targets to choose, you should pretty much always have either a) someone you can kill if you hit them, or b) someone who's about to get a turn anyways, thus making Quick on them kind of pointless.

Granted, this is around floor 6 of the DD, so you need to stick some work into getting it.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 08, 2009, 05:05:13 AM »
First off, I want to say it's always great to hear feedback from new folks and thanks for taking the time to do so~

White Mage innate Move-HP up prevents you from using Move-MP up while a White Mage.  Not critically important but annoying in the early game.  Probably technical limitations here?  I think I'd prefer not having Move-HP up innate if it prevents this, maybe innate auto-regen instead if that's possible?

Move-HP Up overrides Move-MP Up. I've decided to remove it for this reason, since at least Oracles can equip Move-HP Up and get it if they really want it.

Charge as a skill set got some very nice improvements, but I'd like to see archery kept a bit more viable into the later game.  Part of it's just the lack of good bows past the midgame (maybe spread out bow upgrades but make them bigger, since I assume you can't actually add items just change them).  Also, I'd love to see equip crossbow changed to allow you to equip longbows as well, though I don't know how technically feasible that is.   It's not like the damage would be incredible even then when longbowing from another class, since you can't have both equip bow and attack up.   I just think it's a shame that archery somewhat falls by the wayside considering that FFT has the best tactics game implementation of archery that I've seen.

Funnily enough, Archers were the one class I was recently looking at; I was just wary about changing them too much since that would affect a lot of enemy fights (they rely a lot on archers). That said... MA and MP mults up to 100, c.evade up to 30%, and indeed I can make Equip Crossbow work for bows as well - and now just have. It'll be in the next patch. We also had some fun with Yoichi Bow and turned it into an Always: Defending bow.

This might be a bit more controversial, but I think you might consider changing the move-find item/brave interaction such that you don't need a low brave item finder.   Technically speaking, make both the common and rare item drops the same (good) item, if you can't change the code involved.  It just doesn't seem in keeping with the anti-tedium goal of the mod that you need to groom a specialized item finding character and/or reset constantly if you don't get the right thing.

I'm of two minds on this. While I agree that I'd like to cut down on unnecessary tedium, the items you potentially get from Move-Find are pretty rewarding, and I think it should require more effort than just slapping on a 100 JP movement ability and walking to the panel. Compare it to, say, poaching. Or stealing. Both have hoops you have to jump through; the same principle should be applied here. It should be noted that you can now get below 10 brave because an armor that immunes chicken exists, so there's not even the chance that the RNG will screw you if you prepare enough!

More on the bug side of things, I had some hats broken by Mighty Sword attacks in a recent fight on the last version of the mod (the one before the Draw Out revamp), and they weren't available for purchase in the fur shop afterward.  Maybe it only works if they're broken by battle skill but not the special break attacks?  I haven't tested getting stuff broken by battle skill, though.   Specifically, it was in the Vormav fight in Murond.  Actually a suggestion here too if it's technically possible, could you make katana broken by Draw Out also be made available for purchase at the fur shop?  It doesn't seem right that you can break rare katana with no way of getting them back other than trying to rig up some ninja catches (back to that tedium thing).

I think loading saves from previous versions with this feature newly implemented can cause some issues - though if that wasn't your case, then I'm not sure. Unfortunately I cannot make katanas return in that matter - it was the first thing that came to my mind, too, but they break in a manner different from normal equipment breaking. If you can investigate the matter further, possibly on a new file, that'd be great.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 08, 2009, 06:20:51 AM »
Just chiming in that the Auto-Chicken armour is a great idea and reduces my concerns with Move-Find Item greatly. I approve of there being -some- advantage to low Brave anyway, and since new ones are probably very difficult to implement, what we have now seems like the best option.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 08, 2009, 06:48:04 AM »
Actually...  would it be possible to make something like a Chicken Knife which has an inverse Brave formula?

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 08, 2009, 07:11:21 AM »
No, but you just inspired me to change the Zorlin Shape to the Chicken Knife that Adds: Chicken.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 08, 2009, 07:13:52 AM »
Note to self, makes sure to always poach Chicken Knife enemies on next playthrough.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 08, 2009, 08:16:30 AM »
So...defending ASM hack that adds 25% damage reduction: turns out it removes the evasion bonus.  Honestly, evasion bonuses are more interesting than 25% physical reduction.  It's interesting with Reinforce.  It's interesting with always: Defending (whereas physical damage reduction...who cares when Always: Protect is an option).  Oh yeah: we tentatively have an always: Defending item now (Yoichi Bow).

So...yeah, we'll be undoing the Defend ASM hack, and it'll go back to the evasion functionality.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 09, 2009, 06:09:59 AM »
Also another side note on Archers (or more specifically Charge):

Charge+1 no longer exists. The Charges start from 2 and run to 7 (with a new Charge+6 available); all of them have a CT charge time equal to their power minus one. Charge+10 is also a 9CT charge; Charge+20 remains at 15CT.

Mighty Sword attacks will now hit monsters and targets without equipment fine, dealing normal damage without breaking stuff.

When recruiting the following special chars, they start with jobs unlocked:
Mustadio - Lv1 Mime
Agrias - Lv1 Geomancer
Rafa - Lv1 Samurai
Malak - Lv1 Ninja
Meliadoul - Lv1 Dancer
Beowulf - Lv1 Bard

Orlandu and Reis remain unchanged.

Taishyr

« Reply #808 on: October 09, 2009, 02:41:56 PM »
MELIADOUL, MASTER OF EQUIP BREAKS AND SWAYING HER HIPS JUST SO UH HUH UH HUH.

Er, anyways, while I COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY DISAPPROVE OF REMOVING CHARGE +1 this all looks pretty good, yeah. Mighty Sword mod also helps a lot.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 09, 2009, 09:55:50 PM »
Okay, the above updates should be on the server.

Removing Charge+1...here's the thing: one of Charge's weaknesses is that it keeps getting worse as the game goes on because you can't land high charges (and the damage bonus becomes less impressive the later in the game you are: 4+4 is a much bigger deal than 16+4).  upping low-level charge damage, then is important for retaining value to the skillset late in the game.  The most direct route to that goal involved removing C+1. 

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: October 10, 2009, 04:02:18 PM »
The Mighty Sword skill changes actually have to be reverted because they conflict badly with the broken-stuff-goes-to-fur-shop hack (plus it makes really weird things happen, like claiming that items broke when you hit a target without any items or a monster, and making things like Two Swords Battle Skill break items on both hits when that clearly isn't possible.) Unfortunate, but yeah.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: October 11, 2009, 04:51:30 PM »
Incredibly important headline-worthy update

Pisco Demon -> Disco Demon
Squidlarkin -> Squidrockin
Mindflare -> Mindrave

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: October 11, 2009, 05:26:25 PM »
... what

Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 11, 2009, 05:27:23 PM »
<3 <3 <3
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 11, 2009, 05:34:05 PM »
I still think if you're actually going through with this, that Disco Demon needs a dance, SquidRockin needs a song, and Mindrave needs drugs (so like...X-Potion)?

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 11, 2009, 06:16:45 PM »
I still think if you're actually going through with this, that Disco Demon needs a dance, SquidRockin needs a song, and Mindrave needs drugs (so like...X-Potion)?

I'm 100% in favor of this idea.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 11, 2009, 06:38:30 PM »

I love you all.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 11, 2009, 08:57:50 PM »

I love you all.

Taishyr

« Reply #818 on: October 11, 2009, 09:02:46 PM »
I see. This is a dramatic change.

Mo

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 11, 2009, 09:37:40 PM »

Funnily enough, Archers were the one class I was recently looking at; I was just wary about changing them too much since that would affect a lot of enemy fights (they rely a lot on archers). That said... MA and MP mults up to 100, c.evade up to 30%, and indeed I can make Equip Crossbow work for bows as well - and now just have. It'll be in the next patch. We also had some fun with Yoichi Bow and turned it into an Always: Defending bow.

Sounds good combined with the Charge stuff from a later post.

I'm of two minds on this. While I agree that I'd like to cut down on unnecessary tedium, the items you potentially get from Move-Find are pretty rewarding, and I think it should require more effort than just slapping on a 100 JP movement ability and walking to the panel. Compare it to, say, poaching. Or stealing. Both have hoops you have to jump through; the same principle should be applied here. It should be noted that you can now get below 10 brave because an armor that immunes chicken exists, so there's not even the chance that the RNG will screw you if you prepare enough!

Understandable, and the chicken thing is helpful too.   I don't like resetting unless it's something I messed up!  I guess the poaching rares do have a similar chance of getting junk, though in that case you don't need to reset if you get the crappy item, just kill another mob.   Stealing definitely can require a lot of planning and effort too (Elmdor  >:().

I think loading saves from previous versions with this feature newly implemented can cause some issues - though if that wasn't your case, then I'm not sure. Unfortunately I cannot make katanas return in that matter - it was the first thing that came to my mind, too, but they break in a manner different from normal equipment breaking. If you can investigate the matter further, possibly on a new file, that'd be great.

Too bad about the katana technical limitations.      As for my breaking problem, it's an old save file, started on the June version and upgraded to each version on the way.   So that could explain it.    I'll pay attention to see if anything broken in the future shows up in the shop, but probably wont have the time to test it in a new game.   

Archmage

• Laggy's Post-marketing Surveillance Team
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: October 11, 2009, 11:00:08 PM »
LFT has changed considerably since my last playthrough, and, for lack of anything better to do, and because I've never actually seriously done one, I'm going to attempt an SCC. After brief discussion with Laggy, I've decided to go with archer. Archer has gotten some interesting changes in LFT, and I'd like to see how things pan out with an all-archer team--starting from the standard SCC checkpoint of Dorter.

So!

I decide that Ramza--who shall be named Apollo--is obviously a Sagittarius (look this up if you don't understand why), so he is given the birth date of December 1st.

After the intro fights, it's time to recruit some soldiers. I need a team of bad enough dudes to rescue the Marquis, and nothing less will do. Apollo's fellow cadets are stripped and booted in order to recruit:

William: Male Taurus, Br 67, Fa 40
Robin: Male Pisces, Br 68, Fa 53
Legolas: Male Aries, Br 70, Fa 44
Arash: Male Taurus, Br 70, Fa 50

Algus is an annoying twit, but he does live through Mandalia despite my not really caring whether he survives or not.

Okay, so, we move through the opening battles, get to Igros, buy everyone bows, fight a random for a bit of pocket money, and now we have five bow-equipped archers, Delita, and Algus. Team Archer DOMINATES Sweegy; there's just no other way to describe it. The enemy just can't handle the focused-fire.

Dorter:

Wait, he says...does Wiegraf look like a waiter?

The challenge has officially begun. Delita and Algus don't have any special setup; they're in squire mode with basic equipment and basic skills like throw stone. Both have item secondary. I don't expect it to matter. All of my characters have long bows, feather hats, and leather clothes.

Need to abuse archer Ignore Height for all it's worth, so we head for the high ground. Once we get up there, the enemy archer flees, and Charge+3, Charge+4, and Charge+6 arrows rain on the enemy. Algus and Delita get nuked with fire, and Algus goes down after a crossbow bolt finishes him off. Predictably, the enemy knight takes some time to drop.

Since everyone has a Charge ability,
I'm going to save JP for Speed Save. I assume that will be a very helpful and important ability.

Algus proves he learned to interrogate people at Gitmo; I get into a random with...two black goblins? That's it? Anyway, I buy a few sets of Battle Boots and make Delita a thief; he'll actually be a better tank that way than he will as any other job, especially since I don't actually have knight armor, and he'll do more damage, too. Plus, he can Steal Heart any female enemies.

Sand Rat Cellar:

I run one archer up to the top of the building and spread out around the perimeter; the monk and archer go down from quick charges. Ignore Height breaks early game battles in hilarious ways. I get Apollo, Robin, and Arash up on the building's frame and they're basically untouchable. Killing the last knight takes a while because his evade is pretty good, but he can't attack me, so what does it matter?

Apollo, William, and Robin learn Speed Save. We head back to Igros. Everybody gets leather vests and I have enough cash to buy Apollo a red hood.

Thieves' Fort:

After 2 resets, two things dawn on me. One: Battle Boots won't help much in this fight, since there's little room to kite. Two: Concentration might just be necessary to deal with the thieves and their evasiveness.

Attempt 3:

Apollo: Speed Save/Concentrate. Long Bow, Red Hood, Leather Vest, Battle Boots.
William and Robin: Same, except Small Mantle.
Legolas: Same, minus Speed Save.

Delita is a fully-equipped knight; Algus is a thief. Both have mantles.

This was a breeze with Concentrate. Being able to actually hit Miluda's support (and Miluda) made it possible to win handily. Delita made a fantastic tank. The enemy would've ripped me apart if I'd tried to ignore them and go for Miluda, since she took 5 or 6 hits to kill.

Lenalia:

Delita's still got the same setup, as does everyone else.

Blitzing Miluda became necessary partway through the fight, just because I was sustaining too much damage. A knight broke Delita's armor, which was annoying. Delita actually used Wish to raise Apollo at one point. No special setup required, honestly.

Delita has an identity crisis, we all wonder why Miluda had to die in the first place, and life goes on. We return to Igros to do some shopping and replace Delita's armor. I purchase two Night Killers and Bronze Shields; Apollo and William are going to be crossbowmen, since the Night Killers have a higher WP and having a couple "front line" archers with shields can't be a bad idea. The other three will stick to longbows for now. Apollo gets the leather mantle since it has the PA +1 bonus now.

Fovoham/Windmill Shed:

1 reset

Blitz tactics won't work. I'm not sure why I attempted them in the first place. Wiegraf is durable and his support has pretty solid offense. Second round goes better; I knock down one of the monks and my good compat night killer-using archer plugs Wiegraf twice with charge+6 for 50 damage each hit.

Robin learns Charge+20 after the fight, on Laggy's suggestion. Woo! I switch back to longbows for the Zeakden fight since I'll be able to abuse Ignore Height and snipe.

Zeakden:

You all know how this is going to go down. Ignore Height plus bows is just SILLY on this map. And WOW, the xbow knight can return fire! That's kind of amusing. Also, I can't hit anything with Charge+20. No surprise there, but...just an FYI. Even early-game, Charge+20 isn't going to hit stuff, unless you target it when it has 0 CT.

After some roof-sniping in which we are in no danger whatsoever, Zeakden explodes and blasts us off into Ch2.
"That which can be destroyed by the truth should be." ~P.C. Hodgell

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 11, 2009, 11:39:31 PM »
I demand references to the following be done with these important changes.  Dschingis Khan for Disco Demon, David Bowie for Rock (Ziggy Stardust period works best), Aphex Twin for Mindrave.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Taishyr

« Reply #822 on: October 12, 2009, 04:25:52 AM »
Doing my own runthrough as well.

Two Mime, Three Goddess playthrough. The Mimes are Grefter and Anansi, the goddesses are Loki, Sun Wukong and Athena.

This is mainly going to be an exercise in breaking shit open with mime abuse. >_> <_<

Fuzzypickles

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 12, 2009, 04:31:11 AM »
Whoa, a ton of changes since I've last looked at this. I wish I had time to download the patch and try them out.

One random thought I've had is tweaking different bows to give them a bit more character. Perhaps give one or two bows slightly less damage output but increase the range by one. Or take some crossbows and make them two-handed but give them a lot more power. You'd have a bit more flexibility in the class and you could choose between raw damage (heavy xbow), defensive (xbow/shield), or ranged (longbow).

Laggy asked me to comment on Squires about a month ago, but since he's said he's happy with them now I don't think that's necessary. Either way, Wall is incredibly useful and has saved me several times over.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 13, 2009, 02:44:15 AM »
So Ciato and I were talking about FFT. Conversation basically started as "Hey, Samurai SCC would be much more fun now that katanas were moved earlier" "Yeah, too bad they are still unarmed in Chapter 1" "Why are they unarmed in C1 anyway? That's stupid." "Same with Bards. And Lancers." "More classes should have knives or something to hold them over in the meantime." "True, Dancers and Ninjas already do, after all." "And almost everyone had knives in FF1 unless they had a good excuse not to." "Same with FF5 and FF6, probably the two games FFT takes after most." "So we should ask Laggy to extend weapons to all the classes that are unarmed in Chapter 1?" "Yes."

Thinking it over further, I'm not sure I see drawbacks to this. Even with their improvements, knives aren't going to replace the trademark weapons of these classes once the show up. They're not Two Hands-compatible, so katanas will crush them except on an item-finder. Bards don't really care about their physical anyway, but a knife is much less pathetic than a fist when you have a PA mult of 30. Knives also work really well in this role. Their half-PA, half-speed formula ensures that everyone does kinda okay with them, and nobody does wonderfully (except people with Two Swords, moot here since they already have them).

I definitely think the unarmed classes should get something, though. Knives are just most logical for Bards and Samurais. Lancers you could actually go down another route and give swords if you wanted, since while swords are good, Lancers will always go for lances instead - they never trail WP by more than 1, and 1.5x Jump damage + higher range is kind of a no-brainer. There's precedent here since Kain could use swords (and you didn't care!).

You could furthermore give knives to.. almost everybody else. Not Monks, not Priests (flavour/FF tradition), iffy on Oracles/Calculators, although the latter should get one of Knives or Staves or Rods. On the other hand Wizards should definitely have them... Black Mage stabs things! (Terrible option, but hey.) I don't feel as strongly for the classes that already have a weapon in C1, and it may be too annoying to change weapon tables that much, but just throwing it out there.

Maybe.