Author Topic: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)  (Read 410823 times)

Vennobennu

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)
« Reply #2025 on: November 30, 2018, 03:07:09 PM »
That makes sense wrt Bethla Sluice, I hadn't thought about it like that. Writing these after action reports is enjoyable myself, I'll gladly keep doing them.

As for my builds...it's a mix of units with clear, strong builds that I've built towards and units that have been faffing around aimlessly. I've been very happy with my Dragoon, for instance - Jump has consistently been a great, powerful skill, and graduating to Attack UP and, just now after some propositions, Two Hands has kept him OHKOing quite a few enemies or coming close. Similarly, while my Samurai had a rough start with having low Move and durability, now with MAU and higher-tier katanas she's been one of my best damage dealers. My Oracle/Priest has seen a lot of use for utility and status effects - Paralyze, Sleep and Petrify have seen heavy use in particular. Spell Absorb and especially Life Drain seem pretty weak - I guess they'd be good against Zodiac demons? Her time with Weapon Guard/Equip Shield was fun for dodging nearly anything and getting the Aegis Shield MA bonus.

Ramza's been here and there, but he always has his punching Ninja setup whenever tough battles come around. Right now he's working on Knight to pick up Move+1. My Time/Black Magic wizard has also been consistently strong. Short Charge is a big help in allowing him to fire off Flares and such before enemies can act or charge their own stuff. Almost too helpful, really - much as I'd like to try MAU or Equip Gun or w/e I can't see going away from Short Charge now that enemies are starting to get up in Speed. Especially those 11 Speed Ninjas...

My other units are a bunch of experiments. The usefulness of my Archer was a pleasant surprise, but bows are very map-dependent and I haven't wanted to stay in the job when all the important stuff is learned. So he's been bouncing around between Knight (for breaks), Chemist, Mediator, and Thief (for stealing). I was considering trying a casting Archer for a spin, but #1. I soon realized Short Charge doesn't go with Charge, and #2. His MA was much too low to make use of Summon - maybe Yin-Yang would have worked. I'll probably settle on Archer with Item or something eventually. Another thing - what's the deal with the Yoichi Bow? It seems to be obviated by the Ultimus Bow's +2 WP and Ultima casting. Is auto-Defend really that good?

I've also been slotting in Mustadio as a Singing Engineer and Rafa as a Heaven Knight with MAU occasionally and for randoms. Musty only just learned most of Sing so I haven't had a chance to evaluate how good it is, but Truth is...really good so far! If you can get the positioning just right she can really lay down some destruction.

There aren't any real dud jobs, which is definitely an improvement over vanilla. Summon Magic I haven't really touched, so I can't speak to it much other than wow, Shiva/Ramuh/Ifrit got the nerf bat. Samurai is in a weird place - they're the best users of Katanas as weapons given their innates, but if you're a Samurai Draw Out is right there and it doesn't seem worth it to focus on physical attacks instead. Even with the interesting abilities some Katanas have, I wouldn't use Equip Katana except in special cases. I guess it's the same for Ninja weapons and most of the other Equip X abilities though.

I haven't really used Time Magic for much else than Haste, Haste 2 and the occasional Stop, mostly because I'm always setting Black Magic alongside it and blowing things up. Don't Move for instance doesn't have that great of range and accuracy, and if I'm in range to Don't Move something, it's generally more helpful to give them a Fire 4 instead. Have not played around with Demi/2 or Meteor yet though. Reflect MVP. I do appreciate the changes to Black Magic - there's reasons to use every level of elements now thanks to the CT/MP changes, Flare is much better at ST damage, and Death has a great niche for reliable instant death especially with Short Charge. Frog is the odd one out - its accuracy is so low I haven't bothered with it since like Thieves' Fort.

e: Just beat Germinas Peak...despite Ramza and my Dragoon both getting slept instantly from Heaven's Cloud I was still able to pull out a win. Yoichi Bow's defend actually came in handy for dodging bow shots. Even more impressive was my Dragoon busting out 440 damage with a regular attack. Yikes!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 04:40:51 PM by Vennobennu »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: December 10, 2018, 12:32:09 AM »
LFT: The Playthrough begins! Dhyer, Shale, Sierra and play round robin. I do the random battles and team setup (And a plot fight every so often), we rotate plot battles.

Our team is Ramza, Malak, Rafa, Beowulf, and Meliadoul. The good is that we have excellent status, perfect weapon breaking and exploding frogs everywhere.

The bad is that Rafa is 85% of the team's offense. This has led to some interesting fights. Just finished Goug. I've been using sub optimal teams (Lots of thieves for Move+2) so that's been a thing as well.

Notable fights:

Sweegy- I kind of set Dhyer up with a poor team here. Sweegy is really unpleasant in that circumstance. One reset.

Sand Rat Cellar- Mostly notable for the first appearence of exploding frogs. Much humor was had by all.

Zeakden- Hoo boy. This gave me a couple of resets. I didn't take it seriously because I tend to stmp this into a fine paste in LFT. Our revival is quite limited (No Phoenix Downs) so that hurts. One cause of death was a weapon broken Algus smashing Ramza (Last reviver) down. It took close to a half hour to clear this fight. One highlight- I used Ramza as a Lancer. When a Wizard targeted him with a spell, I bounced up next to her and used Jump. She was then hit by her own spell and killed by Ramza's Jump. Related: I had no idea that PC's with dialog would jump down, speak, then jump back up. That was hilarious.

Zaland Fort City- I accidently go into this battle. Oops. No healing or MP restoration set so the fight takes something like 45 minutes. >__________<

Goug- I finally unlock Ninja for Ramza and buy shiny Flame Whips to show of the new mechanic. The thief pops in and immediately weapon breaks both of them with the second action of the fight. *reset!*
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Vennobennu

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: December 12, 2018, 01:57:56 AM »
Deeper into C4 now...

Poeskas Lake was another surprisingly tough fight. First try I went with a tight formation to layer up on Protect/Haste and deployed my Samurai with the Vanish Mantle, in hopes of being able to catch 2+ ghosts with a Muramasa. The Revenants surrounding the start had other ideas however, and while trying to power through them my Priest, normally well protected with a Crystal Shield, was sniped by the Archer while charging up for Cure 3. Then the Oracles and Summoner arrived and it was time to reset. My Samurai did manage to send two of the Oracles into critical but that was too little too late Next time, he Revenants showed off their new trick: AoE Slow. I was able to nullify most of it with a Haste 2 and handle things better; importantly, my Dragoon remained Hasted and was able to start OHKO'ing the ghost mages at speed. That plus a few Silence Songs and Flares preempting the enemies' spells spelled a quick victory.

Limberry Gate was fun. After an experimental first attempt, I equipped Ramza with a Jade Armlet to block Petrify and brought along my Dragoon, Time/Black Mage, Rafa, and Mustadio as an Engineer (I'd poached a Stone Gun and wanted to try it). It turns out, Stone Guns and Two-Handed Dragon Whiskers are really, really strong! Twice we oneshot Apandas with them, with Mustadio gunning down an Apanda that wasn't even charging. Meanwhile Ramza took out Celia (I think it was Celia) all by himself. Yes, really: first off Celia charmed him, causing him to...uncharm himself with Heal. Well, okay! After running towards the rest of the party, he absorbed two Bio 3s, proccing PA Save once, and got a fatal Ultima locked on from a pursuing Celia. So Ramza walked up next to her, hit her with his Defender, regaining just enough HP from Regen to survive the blast. Ultima went off, Celia went into critical, and Ramza learned Ultima! That's actually a first for me.

So, Limberry Castle. I...didn't like this fight. Just defeating Elmdor is hard enough, what with seven hundred(!) hitpoints and innate Def/MDF UP like all the bosses seem to have now and having to contend with Celia/Lede's instant ranged stop or Ultima. But okay, muster enough magical damage and maybe break through Blade Grasp once and you can manage. But trying to steal his stuff, hoo boy, it seriously made me wish I had poached some Chantages just to make this less insane. Many, many failed attempts were had at this, especially before I resigned myself to letting him Muramasa half the team just so he didn't put Haste on which was almost a loss condition by itself. Just getting him alone is a trial; I ended up putting Equip Sword on my Time Mage so he could hold Excalibur and Haste 2 everyone (does Slow work on Elmdor? I didn't check), along with a Steal/Attack UP Monk, my Samurai with Basic Skill for Reinforce, Ramza with Talk Skill and Item, and a Knight also with Basic Skill; lots of Angel Rings equipped too.

The "strategy" I worked out was to Sleep and Frog the Assassins as I could to take them out of the fight, constantly apply Reraise to all of my units and keep them all on low HP so that Elmdor would go for the kill instead of Blood Suck, and slowly wearing away with Speed Break until I could start stealing. This description doesn't do justice to how many permutations I ran through trying to make this work - next time I'm definitely bringing the perfumes. I do admit that I am not that good at this game, so there are probably setups and strategies I didn't consider that would have made all that more reasonable.

As for Zalera, his was a much more enjoyable battle At first I thought this battle was hopeless, with Zalera confusing the whole party before anyone could move while the skeletons tore us up. But with some better positioning, and equipping a couple Barettes, I was able to lure him into starting off with Flare 2. Much more manageable, and my Aegis Shield-toting Oracle could block it too. With that, I was able to get Kiyomori and Haste 2 off, giving me a fighting chance. For the first few turns I retreated to the back and fought off the skeletons; after that threat was taken care of I was able to go on the offensive against Zalera. He'd stopped Meliadoul and Ramza with Spell and killed my Time Mage with another Flare 2, but timely use of Heal and Reinforce more or less nullified that. Between Black and Time Magic Demi 2 did the best damage by a good margin so my Time Mage went with that, my Oracle cast Holy and my Dragoon stabbed for 374 damage, so when I started attacking it was over quickly.

Meliadoul as a Capricorn would play well with the two male Cancers (Ramza and Dragoon Guy) on my team - maybe I'll use her going forward? I like the looks of her Ruin skills too...

Fooling around later I happened upon the Mandalia Plains rare battle. I was, uh, not prepared for the beatdown that ensued. Perhaps a team full of Doubt Faith users could stand up to the endless barrage of spells...but the Mimes punch for like 200 each and I'd have to get pretty lucky to disable them all. Maybe Summoners rocking Titan + Earth Clothes..? Reflect Rings wouldn't help much since the Wizards all have Counter Magic.I kinda want to invite one of those Level 60 Mime Terminators, too.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: December 17, 2018, 12:41:14 PM »
Re rare fight in Mandalia: Learn to love Math Skill; it is invaluable for those large fights when you need to control large groups of enemies.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Vennobennu

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: December 17, 2018, 07:54:18 PM »
I actually haven't touched Calculator yet except to pick up Damage Split on one of my units, but Math Skill...that could do it.

Igros: The first half of the battle went by quickly, on my second attempt as with my (not written) first one: Ramza ran forward, and Dycedarg moved onto the post to Lightning Stab him. Unfortunately for him that meant Rafa could charge a Space Storage on him, and when Zalbag helpfully occupied the only other spot it could have hit Dycedarg was quickly ended. Other than the embarrassment of my Oracle getting oneshot by the punching Knight, the entire battle was such a blitz my Lancer never even got to act.

So Adramelk appeared...still on the pillar, of course, so Rafa charged up another Space Storage and Ramza took the spot Zalbag had departed to the hereafter from and gave a good one-two punch. My first attempt ended with doing too much damage to the guy, letting him start a 999-damage Night Sword rampage, so the newly revived Oracle charged up Foxbird to hopefully nix Critical Quick and everyone else moved in closer. Three Space Storages landed for 660 damage, and in response Adramelk cast Undeath, then - stayed in place! With Ramza blocking him he couldn't move anywhere. Rafa's quick enough to get her turn first and lets loose a Heaven Lightning, killing Adramelk before his second action. Nice going, Rafa!

The entrance to Murond was a extremely one-sided. The trouble for the enemies started when my Perseus Bow Archer jumped up and oneshot the Summoner, sending the Priest to cast Raise. One Geomancer walked around and didn't do anything (I guess because of the Float), while the other charged up a ridiculously fatal Holy on Ramza, but before it could go off Rafa managed to preempt and kill the Geo with a quick Asura. Meanwhile in the back, one of the Mediators was oneshot by a Fire 3, while the other was oneshot by a Charge+5 from my Archer. The poor Summoner was revived only to die twice more during this: once when Ramza ran up and punched her to death, and again when Rafa Asura'd her and the other Geomancer.

This was another stage where I brought my Lancer along only for him to contribute absolutely nothing. If I hadn't had the Perseus Bow and thus wasn't able to instakill the Summoner this might have been tougher, what with her and the Priest both being able to take offensive actions...but then again it might have just meant the Archer killing her midcharge instead of right away.

Inside Murond, a combination of Draw Out and Truth put an end to Rofel pretty quickly...except on my first try he broke my Samurai's Genji Armor! What a guy. Didn't try to steal anything this time, because I'd forgotten to save after the first battle. I guess you'd need Concentrate to get past Rofel and his Abandon/Venetian Shield power combo. Probably wouldn't be too tough otherwise. I'd maybe have run some Talk Skillers to constantly Persuade the knights, since they seem to be immune to everything good and decent!

Zombag was a really fun battle. Early tests noted Zalbag's cool Dracula Mantle, along with his tendency to cast Gravi 2 into Counter Magic and cower in the corner afterward; that never ended up happening in the final run, but it would have allowed an easy win if needed. I took my Archer with Steal to grab that Dracula Mantle, though I had some trouble getting him positioned with Steal's bad vert tolerance. But first he Charge +1'd an Archaic Demon and Ramza Screamed, while the other units waited. Shell 2 helped a lot, going off before some otherwise fatal Dark Holies which instead got a taste of Counter Magic, and Slow 2 helped keep Zalbag and the Ultima Demon far from being threatening. With two of them slowed, and a Haste 2 a little later, it was easy to keep Zalbag occupied either reanimating his buddies or killing Ramza over and over. Pretty soon the Mantle was had, and a few physicals and Space Storages later Ramza's other brother was dead.

Now I have plenty of things to try - go to Orbonne and the final series of battles, check out the Colliery or Nelveska, take another crack at the Wizard/Mimic death squad, and more. Sort of leaning towards doing some poaching/propositions, heading for endgame and leaving it at that - I want to do other playthroughs and I can always leave this save file aside for when I want to do the postgame.

Vennobennu

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: December 26, 2018, 08:18:17 PM »
Over the past week, I beat LFT! For the last series of maps, I swapped my units into their "final" jobs. Thus Ramza took up the punchy Ninja mantle, and my Samurai became once again a Geomancer; between the Rune Blade, Aegis Shield and Genji Gloves even Elemental became surprisingly powerful.

UBS B4: Was not expecting some of the wild setups in this mission. I was thinking I was pretty cool for having a Perseus Bow, and already here's a generic Archer carrying one! Almost makes me wish I had equipped Talk Skill or Steal. Luckily the Archer tried to Charge on Ramza, allowing my own Perseus Bowman to nail him with Weapon Break - and thanks to his Vanish Mantle it would always succeed. My good old Wizard made use of Quick to help dodge a Jump and Death to deal with the MP Switch Lancer easily. My Draw Out unit ended up using Elemental more often - the longer range was sometimes key. Plus I got a clutch Don't Act proc on one of the Lancers which helpfully negated his Blade Grasp foolery. My own Archer's Charge came in handy for combining with others' attacks to score 2HKOs, but I wished I had taken Concentrate instead of Attack UP; too many enemy units with significant evasion one way or another. Charge really did impress me with how useful it still was - I even used Charge+10 once!

UBS B5: This, in contrast, was quick and easy. I pretty much rushed down Rofel with Flare, Holy, Heaven Thunder and Mustadio Stone Gun shots. It helped that the priests weren't interested in healing Rofel when he got down to critical, and Rofel himself elected to cast Quick on himself three times in a row while my last Flare was pending on him.

Murond Death City: At first this seemed quite tricky - the enemies here, especially the Ninjas, have an imposing offense and Kletian is too sturdy to rush down. But I managed to win on my second try with a little bit of thought. My Perseus Bow Archer got the first turn and used it to Armor Break Kletian, making him much less durable in a stroke. The Ninjas went up and threw stuff at Ramza, but thanks to MP Switch he survived. The front Time Mage began charging Demi 2 on him, so he went right up in her face and used Chakra. That way the spell would hit her and a Ninja too, which prove fatal combined with an Asura from Rafa that also caught Kletian in a few hits. Kletian himself charged Flare on her in response, but that only allowed my Archer to sneak in a nice Charge +3. At this point my other units were dropping like flies, but between my Lancer stabbing Kletian and my Archer getting another Charge off the battle was won in short order. A deceptively tough battle where Armor Break made all the difference.

Lost Sacred Precincts: Somehow I won this on my first try without really intending to. I first moved my Archer to Weapon Break Balk, then had my Lancer Jump on the Chemist while the others fought off the incoming Hydras. I layered on Kiyomori and Haste 2 early on which proved to be essential, because Ramza fell to a Triple Flame and I had no other source of revival; so quickly we finished off the hydras, Frogged the Dark Behemoth (though I probably could have just avoided it), and jumped the gap to take on Balk before Ramza could crystallize. A combination of Elemental and Muramasa from my Geomancer, Charge and Jump managed to chew through his 550 HP in time; I had a further Charge and Fire 4 pending which could also have done the job if Arm Aim or misses had interfered.

Hashmalum: Had to figure out how to get everyone to survive his opening attack, but once I did he wasn't too bad; layering Kiyomori and Haste 2, then putting Slow on the big man made him a lot more manageable, and Damage Split was circumvented with repeated use of Threaten. Jump, Elemental and Ramza throwing Yagyuus served as the main damage source here. I did get a scare when Haste/Shell on my guys and Slow on Hashmalum all wore off and he killed two people with Quake, but by that point he was low enough I was able to rush down his remaining HP.

Time for Altima! I brought Mustadio, Rafa, my Lancer and my Archer to the battle. Ramza switched to Ubersquire with Attack UP and...Charge! Yes, really. Altima's first turn consisted of charging Ultima on Alma, who MBarriered herself and redirected the damage to Altmia + two demons. The Ultima Demons played nice and didn't throw around anything too scary, partly because only two of them got to act at all, Ulmaguesting some of my units and punching Rafa to death. That didn't help them much, and neither did Altima trying to Mbarrier the last Demon - Ramza was able to get in there, and thanks to Charge+2 was able to kill it before just before Mbarrier landed and its turn came up. Between Stone Gun shots, jumps and Perseus Bow Charges Altima's HP ran out swiftly.

Altima 2 was if anything more painless. The worst he did was target Return 2 on a cluster of units, but my Archer, who, it was centered on, got his turn before it resolved and so only he died. That was the only casualty of the battle. Magic Break from my Lancer cancelled Haste and Wall, and so with everyone Hasted between Excalibur and Mbarrier we kept up pretty well in turns. Later in the fight Mustadio got Berserked by Grand Cross, which only lead to him putting out even more damage with his Stone Gun. Rafa once again got the final blow, with Hydragon Pit at over 400 damage. That was a little disappointing, I have to admit. Hashmalum got more kills and resets out of me!

Stil, overall I really liked my experience with LFT. I might start up a variant run right away - maybe all monsters (plus Ramza)?

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: December 27, 2018, 10:50:03 AM »
Laggy: Maximillian isn't blocking slow. Just tested it on END; both casting it with Math Skill and from Altima.
-------------------

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: April 01, 2019, 06:39:30 AM »
Flying to another country to play LFT, the game -

We decided to theme our characters based on Fire Emblem Heroes quotes/memes, so here we are:

Ciatokins - Spring is Here (Ramza) - Went mostly between Guts, Item, and Jump. Spent most of the game as Lancer with MP switch and Move +2. Snagging the Blood Lance in Nelveska temple made the character pretty OP. We confirmed Super's observation with Maximilian that it does not block Slow.
Elfboykins - I can dance! - Dancer with Time Magic and Item, depending on the battle. Switched jobs a lot.
Laggykins - MAGIC IS EVERYTHING - oh wait, doesn’t fit so - The Reinhardt - Math Skill with Sing and sometimes Talk Skill. Praised himself a lot for MP switch. He was also an archer with Perseus Bow for a while for 16 speed math skill. It was awesome. MP switch Angel Song is dumb (we mostly cheesed it in Nelveska)
MCkins - Giant Spoon+ - Oracle with Two Hands and Whale Whisker. Item was a primary secondary, with occasional dabbles in other stuff (Basic Skill, Draw Out). She hit like a truck. Hamedo was a big part of her game too, although later she joined team mp switch
Tallychukins - Burn Traitor (Musty), then Reis when she joined - Mime for the Mime god. Reis had like 640 HP lategame.

A few notable fight:

Maingame:
-Wiegraf 1 proc’d three Crush Punch statuses in a row. Douche.
-Saika destroyed us in the Izlude fight. Don’t Act on the reviver? ;_;
-We lost in the Yuguo Woods because we didn’t take the fight seriously (after completely thrashing Yardow).
-Doggy Pass was the fight we had the most trouble with in the main game. The enemies are very much on top of you. Elemental is rude. Our winning run ended up with a confused Samurai destroying all of his friends, which was hilarious.
-Meliadoul featured a death to Charmed Spring is Here! Charm wears off slower for Lancers because the ticks don’t tick when they are in the air. I never knew that.
-Don’t Move really wrecks Adramelk.
-We lost to Kletian after being Elidibs. The Mime Mime’d jump onto the Lancer for 800 damage after being revived.
-Byblos is now kinda OP against Altima because he does damage based on max MP, which she uses for her MP switch shenanigans. (The Reinhardt sat out the last fight.)

Aftergame:
-The cameo fight took like a billion years. To be honest, I fell asleep after I got Slowed and Stopped. Haha.
-Reis fight with all of the crazy abilities are fun. Using Cloud’s skillset against us not nice. ;_;
-Nelveska was the one fight that we decided to switch Burn Traitor out of Mime. Zapdos’s Thunder Wave is just too devastating because it statuses even through Rubber Shoes, but he won’t cast it if everyone has them. Hax! Otherwise we had a hilarious scare when we tried to get the Blood Lance because the Hydra decided to Dark Whisper the fuck out of us even though we blocked all his other shit. Oh Monster Skill, you so wacky.
-I had a particular fondness for the Four Zodiacs fight in the DD. I used throw stone unironically to push I can dance! off the cliff so she could revive Giant Spoon+. good times
-Elidibs was scary and fun. Don’t Move saved our ass, taking one of the knights and both of the bybloses out of the picture. Magic is indeed everything, bitches. Reis was really good because she couldn’t have her stuff broken by the stupid knights.
-Funeral was pretty rude. we never ended up beating that fight. ah well.
-We also fought and had a reset to Barinten, but the second try went fine.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Stuck

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: May 06, 2019, 12:01:12 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks for this mod and I'm really looking forward to playing it. Also, I'm not sure if you still updating this (or care to), but the LFT+Complete (and LFT+Complete RSM version too) lacks the text auto skip feature found in the default version of the mod. Holding the X button does not speed up the text. Not a big deal, but I'd thought I'd just bring it to your attention.

gumballs

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: March 29, 2020, 03:30:31 AM »
New player reporting in. I'm really enjoying this mod, and wish I'd picked it over 1.3 Easytype when I last decided to replay the game several years ago. I haven't played FFT all the way through since before the PS2 came out, but between what I remembered of the mechanics and what's documented on this site I've found almost every fight in the game to be very nicely balanced. The addition of useful and unexpected secondary skills to most enemies has repeatedly caught me off guard, and I find that battles swing back and forth in a gratifying way. Lot of skin of my teeth victories, lot of improvised tatics, lot of stress & relief. Really great stuff! I don't love everything -- zodiac bosses were the worst part of vanilla and to the extent I can trust my memories I think they're worse here, and the only parts that have reminded me of attempting 1.3. I freely admit to being a scrub, yes, but while the tough non-zodiac fights (e.g. Golgorand) have been difficult and thrilling, the zodiac fights have been difficult and unrewarding for me. But the vast majority of LFT has just been fantastic and does basically feel like vanilla but better. Thank you to the creators and the community here!

I'm at the start of chapter 4 and I have two questions that I can't find answers to in the mod documentation or in this thread.

• I'm trying to get into poaching and taming monsters, so I've been looking for random battle information. I didn't see anything in the mod documentation that suggested the random encounters have changed from vanilla, so I'm looking at Goryus' Battle List on GameFAQs in the absence of corresponding. Is this document accurate for LFT? Assuming it's accurate for vanilla, I mean.
  • I've seen the colliery quest (and by extension DD) referred to as "aftergame," and am just looking for clarity on what that means, because at least in vanilla there is no postgame as best I can recall. You beat Altima, credits roll, the end. Is "aftergame" just an indication that this is best left until right before returning to Orbonne for the final push?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: March 29, 2020, 05:40:23 AM »
Glad you've overall enjoyed it!

Goryus' battle list is still mostly accurate, although in general one battle in each location (often the "rare battle") has been replaced by a new fight entirely. Generally I think an attempt was made to keep the more iconic fights/key rare monsters intact from vanilla, though modified to be harder in some cases. I've definitely still used Goryus' guide as a reference for poaching when playing LFT, it still mostly works... just keep your eyes open for any all-new fights.

LFT still works as vanilla in that as you said, you beat Altima and the credits roll. The "aftergame" label on the colliergy just means that it's balanced for a party capable of taking on the final dungeon, similar to the Deep Dungeon in vanilla.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

moawar

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: Controlable Guests
« Reply #2036 on: April 08, 2021, 01:10:03 PM »
Excuse me but can you control the guest characters in this hack if so,how ?

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: April 10, 2021, 07:50:15 PM »
By default, no. If you want you can download FFTPatcher from the FFT Hacktics site, open the ISO, and enable guests to be controllable within their respective fights in the ENDT section.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

moawar

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: April 12, 2021, 12:13:11 PM »
Hey quick question,how am i supposed to deal with the bombs ? They just keep respawning until i die

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: April 12, 2021, 02:55:40 PM »
Bombs start with Reraise. Once they revive, they can use Spark to heal themselves which has a 20% chance to give them back Reraise, and if they get lucky with that there's not much you can do to prevent it.

However, the key is that if all enemies are dead, you win, even if some of them are about to revive. So the simplest way to kill Bombs is to kill them last, and if there is more than one, try to kill them around the same time. This will bypass the revival entirely. If they do manage to revive despite your efforts, focus on killing any who don't have Reraise first, since those ones will stay dead.

Another option is to dispel the Reraise before you kill them. This is much easier to do than in vanilla FFT; Magic Break (200 JP, from Knight) or Dispel Magic (100 JP, from Oracle) can both do it.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

moawar

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2040 on: April 12, 2021, 07:01:50 PM »
THANK YOU,honestly,this is the second time i tried playing this game,(first time being the android port)and when i came back in the same battle that introduces bombs i was wondering what was i doing wrong because they were of equal level to my party and they just keept respawning until my mages did't had any more mana,my frontiliners were knocked down and Ramza was close to dying,and they still just kept respawing faster than i could kill them
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 07:03:39 PM by moawar »

rangerfantasma

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: September 14, 2021, 01:19:22 AM »
Coming back to this mod. I love it so much, so I play again from time to time. :D

The other day I used a Quick Attack against a vampire and the Caught my attack. I wonder if Quick Attack works as a Throw?  ;D

bignutnanny

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: November 11, 2021, 03:03:47 AM »
quick question can you dual wield guns like you can in rebirth in this hack?

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: November 11, 2021, 02:41:42 PM »
No, no duel wielding guns.
-------------------

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: January 25, 2022, 12:16:16 AM »
So...laggy convinced me to do a challenge run.

The rules are as follows

1. No buying equipment from stores ever.  Only fixed battle drops and equipment that guests leave behind.
2. Among guest drops, Excalibur is banned.
3. No picking up equipment from chests (if I get gear from chests accidentally, I am required to sell it).
4. No excessive grinding (skipping all green dots).
5. No special characters.
6. No propositions (maybe?  Don't think we had a firm decision on that one).

We might be more lenient on some of these if the challenge just hits a hard roadblock somewhere (unban propositions, or allow some grinding from randoms or something).

So...my plan so far was to spread out across multiple jobs, since equipment will come for lots of different jobs.  Also get classes that can survive on low equipment, so like Mime, Monk.  I have two mages at the moment (both bouncing between summoner/black mage) One monk, one useless character that has been trying to unlock Mime (Chemist is a terrible class cause I can't buy items.  Squire is pretty meh too right now).  And one vaguely undetermined character with some plans of "IDK maybe this character will go to Ninja or something" but they're probably just going to end up being Knight Party Tank or something.

So...first to note, HP and MP values spent a long time being very, very low due to only having hats and clothes.  Another, which is relevant due to how low HP values have been, is that revival has been a problem (obviously phoenix down is off the table, can't buy more, and raise is 10 MP and only 89% hitrate on neutral compat.  Eventually I will get revive on Monk, but other stuff has taken priority.  Ramza used guts for a while, but it's hard to cut black magic for Guts).

Magic City Gariland: 0 resets.  Fairly straightforward, the only thing to note is that I manually controlled all characters instead of the usual autobattle since I didn't want to waste the precious 5 potions you start with.

Mandalia Plains: 1 reset cause someone died early and crystallized, but really the difficulty hasn't kicked in yet.

Sweegy woods: 0 resets. had three people with black magic for this fight (one of them a squire working towards Mime, but still).

Dorter Trade City: 4ish resets.  This is the fight where the plan was to dump potions cause otherwise whoever the longbow archer hits gets 2HKO'd due to having terrible equipment.  Still had lots of issues; I have a mostly high faith party cause I'm anticipating needing to lean on Raise later in the game, and basically no gear yet, so wizards threaten to OHKO.  Anyone getting damaged at all needs to be scared of being finished off by just about any unit (barring the unarmed archer).  Doable, but really requires not messing up and getting hit by any wizard spells or getting hit by much other than the  longbow archer in general (crossbow archer can 2HKO people).

Sand Rat Cellar.  2ish resets?  Something like that?  So...had two people with black magic, who kept people poisoned and stalled.  One chemist, who ended up using a few more precious potions.  And...a Monk with accumulate, who sat still and accumulated while poison stalling was happening.  Ended up with 13 PA, which hits for about 171 damage on neutral, and was used to clean up three or four characters.  In general I'm harsh on accumulate--if you have a 10 WP weapon, it's basically a ranged attack that deals +10 damage to everyone you hit later.  But with unarmed punches, because of the quadratic formula, it's more like +20 damage per attack.  And the fight dragged on long enough for the monk to punch like three people, so each accumulate was like "deal 20 damage to 3 targets at range with no MP cost".  You know what, for this fight, that's actually quite good, that's like having someone with a longer range version of black magic that doesn't cost MP.  My usual opinion of accumulate is that for most fights it's worse than charge (and not the buffed LFT charge, but vanilla trashy charge).  But for this one fight that lends itself very hard to stalling?  Actually very solid.  Hasn't really gotten this level of value in any subsequent fight, although talk to me again after we do Zirekile Falls I guess.

Miluda 1: 2ish resets.  Lots of enemies that can one shot me due to low HP, but I have repeating fist, and eventually just highroll with it.

Miluda 2: 3ish resets.  Stuff can happen here like enemy wizards instant killing the summoner before she gets a turn.  But...the summoner also has Ifrit, and thanks to the Linen Robe, enough MP to cast Ifrit.  So eventually most of the mages bunch up and die, and then a repeating fist highroll kills Miluda.

Wiegraf 1: 0 resets.  Bait Wiegraf forward with the mime-in-training who is on a chemist.  He happily one-shots.  Repeating Fist from the front, get through front evade and highroll on the damage.  Drop two more spells.  No resets, lol.

Fort Zeakdon: 10-15 resets.  So this was a nightmare.  Wizards can always OHKO, so Ramza is on Time Mage with Reflect learned, and typically uses Reflect every round (and needs to stay perfectly CT synced with the mages.  BTW Reflect costs 12 MP, he has 36 MP, so not cheap).  Speed is a problem--If the summoner is on summoner, they're slow and can't poison algus on round 1.  If the summoner is on black mage, they're 6 speed and can poison algus before he moves, but then they can't land an Ifrit on Algus until the third turn.  Three setups I messed with on Delita--giving him battle boots makes him hit Algus turn 1, but then Algus runs away and that's bad.  Giving him black magic makes him run a bit more forward to catch as many people as possible in poison, and then Algus attacks and runs away, and that's bad.  So we ended up just leaving him with no battle boots.  I basically have three relevant characters (monk, Ramza with black/time magic, and the summoner with black magic).  The fourth character is a mime in training, or...the fifth character; ended up going with the fifth character on Knight.  Naked Knight to be clear, no armour drops have shown up yet; one shield.  General job of this character was to pull a few enemies to the right.  Anyway, did a lot of lowrolling on auto potion luck (my best damaging spell is Ifrit and deals 42 damage, most of my attacks if they hit and auto-potion triggers net heal Algus).  Also did some lowrolling on repeating fist (it was rare to successfuly get in range for repeating fist at all, but when I did, several fights in a row it rolled below expectations).

Dorter 2: 4ish resets, but the first few tries I was not taking it seriously (bringing in my weak untrained characters).  So...tried to get away with bringing bad characters.  Ended up needing like...change the monk to a Knight with Punch Art as a chakra battery to keep people alive from archers, and Chemist with raise as a backup plan (who spent most of the fight getting chakrad by the knight since he only had MP for one raise).  Used that duo to stall while Agrias and Gafgarion soloed the rest.  We get Rad Alicia and Lavian gear now, so that's a huge upgrade--chain vest, red hood, and a bunch of armour.

Also may have inadvertently discovered a dupe glitch--if guests pick up a treasure box, seems like they get two copies of the treasure?  Somehow ended up with two headgears and two additional chain vests after the fight which didn't show up as war trophies, so I assume some kind of dupe glitch happened.  (We only got one green beret, but a non-guest picked that treasure chest up).  Anyway, we assumed the additional headgear and chain vest were a glitch so we sold them along with all the other stuff picked up from treasure boxes.

---

Getting close to Mime being unlocked, which is nice.  Have equip armour on the monk now, which I suspect is just going to be their support for the rest of the game--like...agrias and gafgarion give good armour, and orlandu's going to upgrade armour.  Rafa/malak will get me some robes and mage gear.  But I'm not aware of any source of clothes coming up soon; maybe a war trophy somewhere?  So probably both my Monk and...whatever my fifth character is (Knight?  Ninja?) will want equip armour.

rangerfantasma

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: April 18, 2023, 12:36:50 AM »
So...laggy convinced me to do a challenge run.

[...]

No more updates? :D I enjoy reading you guys updates on your challenges.

PS: Now with the engine of the TLW, I wonder how LFT would be with those nice additions…

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: August 08, 2023, 07:36:19 AM »
An update is unlikely, but a backlog balance thoughts just in case the game does get updated at some point down the line (happens very rarely, usually if a text change is needed).

• Calculator: Don't Move should probably be removed from the calculator spell list.  Math skill still on the strong side, still probably fine without it.  Don't Move isn't that great of a status normally, but it is good when you have infinite range and your opponent does not.  Trivializes a non-negligible number of fights
  • Weapon Guard: Move to another class--probably just back to Knight.  It's currently on Oracle, and I've yet to see someone learn it from Oracle.  There's...like...four reasons to go to Oracle.  If you're going to Calculator, you want Oracle JP for Yin Yang spells.  If you want to be a dedicated Oracle, once again, you're going to prioritize oracle JP on Yin Yang spells.  If you want to be a Mediator...you're probably using guns and don't care about 5% weapon guard.  If you want to be a Bard, you're probably using harps and don't care about 10% weapon guard.  On Knight lots of characters could get Weapon Guard from spillover, but there's so many other things they could get from knight, you'd frequently have an interesting choice picking between equip shield, equip armor, Move+1 and weapon guard, so it wouldn't be an auto-pickup.
  • Fire/Ice/Bolt: I just watched three people using these, and nobody seemed too pressed about getting Fire 2, one person got it, but I think it might have been from a crystal.  But on the other hand when the white mage picked up Cure 2, it was like "excellent, that's a nice upgrade", because the mult is 10 on Cure 1 and 20 on Cure 2, so literally double the healing.  Whereas the jump from Fire to Fire 2 is 12 mult to 18 mult (plus more MP and slower).  I think maybe Fire/Ice/Bolt 1 could be 10 mult.  Still be excellent abilities in Chapter 1, but make the JP investment into Fire 2/Ice 2/Bolt 2 something people feel more strongly about wanting to do.  (Fun fact, in vanilla Fire/Ice/Bolt are 14 mult).

I also think some kind of mild nerf could be justified to Knight's overall numbers, but nothing very obvious to tune is jumping to mind right now.  (Knights being 4 base move is important both for enemy design, and also the fun level of people who like playing them.  Kights having DU+MDU is kind of an LFT thing.  There are other patched versions of FFT that just do DU, for example.  Might as well keep LFT unique.  But like...maybe an adjustment to multipliers or something?  Like...maybe Kights could have 100 or 80 HP mult instead of 120?  Yeah, not sure, still thinking about this one).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 06:37:00 AM by metroid composite »

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: August 10, 2023, 03:28:32 AM »
For what it's worth, I've legit gone to learn WG from Oracle for other classes (though admittedly mostly Dancer, and Dancer builds are very specific in their focus.  Maybe a couple of other hypothetical builds but in general it's usually Dancer, another Stick class, or going for something involving a Defender)

Aside from that...yeah, I could see that.  I have gone to the L2 spells as an upgrade for a dedicated caster for sure, but the L1s are similarly vicious.

Typically prioritizing Bolt or Ice, of course.

...I'd definitely consider doing another attempt at a playthrough if my backlog wasn't so full.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: August 11, 2023, 06:36:01 AM »
Yeah, I may have undersold weapon guard from oracle:  Laggy did pick it up later in this playthrough.  Though that was very much a "we are heading into Golgorand and need stronger loadouts right now, and stick evade is good in LFT" thing.  Might also get it on my dancer from spillover, which at first I thought wasn't going to happen, but seems likely now.  (Had plenty of Priest and Oracle spillover.  Was missing Chemist JP, but getting plenty of Chemist spillover now).

Unrelatedly...

First time actually seeing a dancer with carpet PA boosts and punch art in action and...it's okay, feels fairly "mid" I think is my impression so far.  Doing some math it's about the same PA as you'd expect on a male Geomancer with punch art secondary.  Dancers do have innate attack up, so 30%ish damage boost by going this build instead of a male Geo with punch art secondary.  Buuut...3 move, half the HP mult, can't wear shields.  It's a cute build, but not like...better than a normal monk build or anything crazy like that.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 06:37:58 AM by metroid composite »

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: November 04, 2023, 05:59:59 AM »
So...loaded up LFT looking for my old Time Mage SCC to try and finally finish it.  Can't find the memory card.

I was stuck at a point where I needed to grind levels, and Time Mage doesn't grind levels that well so that was a bit frustrating and why I didn't finish it at the time.

So anyway, started a new SCC that can grind levels a bit better if needed: Monk.

Unlocking Monk--actually reset a couple of times doing this.  Squires bad.  random monsters not bad.

Sweegy Woods: 0 resets.  So...unlike attacking with a broad sword from a squire, which is like 20 damage, Monks deal 36, and a bunch of them started with enough JP to get repeating fist which averages 60.  Under normal circumstances you probably don't have them unlocked until right around when iron swords show up, but they are briefly ahead of knight damage.

Dorter: 0 resets.  So...someone died pretty fast, and I got concerned about whether I could kill the knight quickly, then I one-shotted with repeating fist.

Sand Rat Cellar: 1 reset.  1 reset where Delita just wandered away from the fight into a corner never attacking a single enemy, and simultaneously repeating fist lowrolled.

Miluda 1: 0 resets.  The enemies actually body blocked her quite well, it was obnoxious.  But got to her before crystallizations.

Miluda 2: 0 resets.  There's less geometry in the way on this map, so she was easily surrounded.

Wiegraf 1: 3 resets.  WTF this map is bullshit.  Like...some of my monks have gained a total of 350 JP for repeating fist plus wave fist.  Other monks are still on only repeating fist and are working towards wave fist.  Meanwhile the enemy monks had earth slash.  The oracles have sticks (sticks don't show up till chapter 2).  The monks also often hit me with elemental and applied don't move on 2 people.  Anyway, reset repeatedly until repeating fist dealt 117 damage.

Algus: 0 resets.  For some reason Algus decided his best move was to run away towards Ramza's starting spawn area behind the building.

Dorter 2: 4 resets.  I actually kept a save in Chapter 1 just in case I needed to grind for this fight specifically.  The enemies are competento (like one attempt Gafgarion died round one, and he has triple my HP), and an archer will often jump onto a rooftop and stall out while Agrias and Gafgarion just sit around doing nothing.  Tried giving Gafgarion spike shoes but that never paid off.  Eventually lucked out where when the archer jumped on the roof, Agrias was already in position to hit her, and just kept following her.

You know, I was wondering if it would be a mistake to take repeating fist, if I would suffer at sand rat cellar for not having secret fist on anyone, but so far no.  I do think I should get secret fist by the time I'm at Zaland Fort City, cause there's an X-potion Knight.

EDIT:

Araguay Woods: 0 resets

Zirekile Falls: 0 resets

Zaland Fort City: 4 resets.  Opted to save mustadio, cause brave seems relevant on a Monk SCC.  Three resets were Mustadio getting OHKO'd.  Unfortunately the one monk I had who knew chakra was also the highest level and sitting out, so what I expected to be a long drawn out battle was a bit spooky.  But...actually it wasn't an issue.  Mages charged things across walls, mages got wave fisted.  Item knight didn't know phoenix down.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 07:27:31 AM by metroid composite »