Register

Author Topic: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)  (Read 410686 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: LFT: An FFT mod (Final Release - Download here!)
« Reply #1475 on: October 18, 2010, 10:23:05 AM »
Why put +3 PA on Toad Rod?  I counter that sir with why aren't we putting +5 PA on Toad Rod?  Also why are we not putting a PA based sacrifice skill on Summon?

Buffing Brave/Faith twinking is good, +3 is stupid, +6 is still functionally of minimal use for other things and does good things.  5 is a good round number.  If you do anything to change -20 Faith I will hunt you down and stab you in the face (and not even with my penis), giving Mediators a consistent anti-mage ability is good, otherwise you are looking at shooting them or praying on Sleep/Berserk hit rates. 

Generally speaking, very meh on most of the changes, bug fixes are dull and boring, I like the balance built around things functioning in the odd way that they do.  There is an elegance in the rebalances done here by generally either fine tuning things or completely overhauling them.  A bug fix that causes you to counterbalance it is just so uninspired.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: October 18, 2010, 10:34:38 AM »
Following that line of logic why not change Toad Rod to grant +20 PA, appear only as a Move-Find Item in DD, and Start:Stop. It'd sure make it more interesting >.> . If anyone even thinks of changing Threaten/Solution I'll hunt them down and stab them with a rusty spoon. Even then Mediators have tons of ways to counter mages. Negotiate, Persuade, Inslut, and Mimic Daravon. 3/4 completely shut down a unit (Okay fine Persuade doesn't completely shut down but reseting a slow spellcasters CT to 0 takes him awhile to get back).

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: October 18, 2010, 10:41:05 AM »
I agree with Grefter here, actually, and find that a tad over the top, Kelog. And not in a funny way, but more of a dry, "Meh," way. Toad Rod is silly and meant to be silly. Wizards have god-awful PA, always will, and giving them a silly weapon that doesn't shoot them in the foot if the unit isn't inherently magical is a good way to go. I know that when I did my playthrough way back, I found great use for dual-wielding Poison Rods because it gave me actual ACTIONS while I wasn't a physical class, thanks to the +2 PA. (Could be misremembering which rod, but meh, point remains) I still had cruddy damage, with +4 overall PA to my Oracle, a primary Ninja/Thief/Knight, and 2 hits per turn.
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: October 18, 2010, 10:55:47 AM »
Poison Rod is now a Toad Rod, so you got the right Rod.

Mediator can still do things to mages, yes.  They are still all coin flip skills even with buffed hit rates though.  Consistent methods are good tools to have in your kit and that is what I was after.  The buffing hit rates for Praise/Preach/Threaten/Solution to +100 is one of the more simple functional quality of life changes made to the game and it really does nice things to Mediator play.

Edit - Oh yeah talking about the things we didn't like kind of agree on or something.

Toad Rod is there for silly jokes.  You don't throw it in Deep Dungeon because of the amount of stuff that was hauled out of Deep Dungeon only and given to players to actually play with.  Also the game already has Stone Guns, you don't need to remake it for gunless mages.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:58:58 AM by Grefter »

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: October 18, 2010, 11:17:47 AM »
First, why..would you..two-hand..rods. Seriously, why? An Oracle doesn't need PA, Sticks are awesome weapons and use MA instead of PA in their formula, that's kind of how Oracles got that whole 'Battle-Mage' moniker going. As for the other mage classes that can use Rods, that is still one of the least sensible ways to use Two Hands. Hell dual-wielding Wizard Rods makes sense, but dual-toad rods? Really? (Magic Attack Up would still be the better choice if I'm not mistaken, over dual-wizard rods that is).

I'm just saying buffing an item that is already so utterly niche and pretty much useless (if I'm not mistaken it comes around Zaland/Goug, right after you get access to a bunch of MP boosting equipment so you aren't a 3-spell-wonder anymore) seems like a waste of time. I'd prefer it if the item was changed around somehow to make it more..useful. Maybe strengthening a different element (Earth? Wind?), all I'm saying is Mages should have items that improve their abilities as well, mages. Not some weird stick that makes them hit harder and turns things into frogs occasionally, when they really shouldn't be getting to the point where they are forced to hit stuff with their stick. The argument about how the rod improves Elemental/Punch Arts, is ridiculous. Using Punch Arts or Elemental on classes that have rods open to them (Wizards, Summoners, Oracles?) is moronic considering what horrible PA these classes have, using Item/Basic Skill makes more sense if you have a Physical character hopping over to the Magic tree. And unless you made your party overwhelmingly Physical by that time, you will have a pretty good amount of spill-over JP to make their base skill sets useful, hence preferably using an elemental-strengthening rod to make the base skills more powerful while keeping the secondary as a support set. Elemental can probably work (much worse then on Geo/Samurai of course) but I'm kind of curious, how many situations do you find yourself in where you go 'Dang, I wish I had Elemental equipped'?

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: October 18, 2010, 12:40:19 PM »
Clearly you have not seen PKMN Richard!! the PA twinked Two Hands Toad Rod Charge Battle Wizard in action. *crosses arms*

It is a fine piece of equipment, a bit silly but you can use that niche and have a good time turning people into frogs with rod beats. I don't see why making it a bit better at its niche is such a point of contention. It's certainly more interesting and noticeable than yet another slightly tweaked magic boosting rod would be. If you want to do serious powergaming obviously you use some other setup, there are hundreds to choose from and that's the beauty of FFT.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: October 18, 2010, 01:51:15 PM »
Man you tempt me to explain it with Venn diagrams.

You can expand the already fairly all encompassing improvements to magic spells with rods option by making it do exactly the same thing as 3 primary rod unlocks that unlock in Chapter 1 (Fire/Ice/Thunder for element boosting which are useful for all Rod users) or buff MA (Wizard Rod et al), by covering Wind or Earth (ie making worse option than the already available Earth Clothes + Wizard rod) you again only expand on an already well covered area.

By giving the crazy people their PA Rod you unlock an entirely different way of applying a class.  Yes it is entirely sub optimal, but far less so with equipment to support it now.  Making it a silly niche weapon isn't taking anything away other than a terrible weapon (because ... it was replacing Poison Rod, which is yeah, probably worse than regular Rod because you do more damage with it and might poison your own people with it when Charm breaking or something equally mundane that is usually the only reason you Rod beat).

Equally for all those times you have never said damn if only I had Elemental Wizard setup, how many times have you gone "Geeze if only I had more things that boosted Water, wish I had a Water Rod".  I think from memory there is already an equip that boosts Water now (a dictionary or something crazy like that?), may even be a weapon that boosts Wind specificall for uh Silf hype or something?  Probably not considering it is getting the boot layed in by the Elf.

Knowing when to make something sub optimal is another charming part of design.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: October 18, 2010, 02:04:11 PM »
Oil: I suppose.  Just be careful of the random stuff we added oil to just for humor value.

Blade Grasp: nah.  Notice how we just had a debate on overpowered reactions and it wasn't in the crosshairs.  BG is also iconic to FFT, so if reasonable I'd prefer to keep it mostly intact.

br.fa up.  I'd be tempted to go higher than 6, but this would risk people ignoring mediator skills.

3PA poison rod.  I'm okay with this I guess.  Earlygame Raises Punch Art mages from "they don't suck" to "Theyre solid...not quite as good as Geomancer".
5PA poison rod.  No.  That would make Wizards the best Punch Art users.  PA doesn't need the buff.  Dancer already sort of fills this role, while having more of a downside...i.e. training a female monk for the big payoff.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: October 18, 2010, 02:24:54 PM »
5 PA rod is a joke yes yes.

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: October 18, 2010, 04:09:52 PM »
Man you tempt me to explain it with Venn diagrams.

You can expand the already fairly all encompassing improvements to magic spells with rods option by making it do exactly the same thing as 3 primary rod unlocks that unlock in Chapter 1 (Fire/Ice/Thunder for element boosting which are useful for all Rod users) or buff MA (Wizard Rod et al), by covering Wind or Earth (ie making worse option than the already available Earth Clothes + Wizard rod) you again only expand on an already well covered area.

By giving the crazy people their PA Rod you unlock an entirely different way of applying a class.  Yes it is entirely sub optimal, but far less so with equipment to support it now.  Making it a silly niche weapon isn't taking anything away other than a terrible weapon (because ... it was replacing Poison Rod, which is yeah, probably worse than regular Rod because you do more damage with it and might poison your own people with it when Charm breaking or something equally mundane that is usually the only reason you Rod beat).

Equally for all those times you have never said damn if only I had Elemental Wizard setup, how many times have you gone "Geeze if only I had more things that boosted Water, wish I had a Water Rod".  I think from memory there is already an equip that boosts Water now (a dictionary or something crazy like that?), may even be a weapon that boosts Wind specificall for uh Silf hype or something?  Probably not considering it is getting the boot layed in by the Elf.

Knowing when to make something sub optimal is another charming part of design.
Yeah. I'm going to agree with you. THOUGH! Earth-boosting Rob+Earth Clothes would make a nice Earth Slash. Early water-booster would be a bit too strong, Leviathan is already amazing for the first 3 chapters. I'd wager to say a Chapter 2 Earth-boosting Rod would make Titan a bit overpowered as well. And I suppose as long as it doesn't interfere with itemization (f.e If the period when it appears could be better used for an item to strengthen a weak class,in that period. But I don't think Chapter 2 is really a weak point for any of the caster classes). As a closing remark Nerf the Chicken Knife!!*coughjokingcough*

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: October 18, 2010, 04:31:18 PM »
Earth-boosting Rob+Earth Clothes would make a nice Earth Slash

You can't stack strengthening effects, sadly. Also, due to its quadratic damage formula, it's more effective to boost PA than strengthen Earth if you're looking to get more damage out of Earth Slash, the main reason that Earth Clothes is more popular than Power Sleeve for some Earth Slash-related setups (Monk SCC most obviously) is that it also lets you heal your allies with the attack rather than having to avoid them.

Basically what I'm saying is that Toad Rod + Earth Clothes is already a surprisingly decent Earth Slash booster if you really want a wizard who can punch the ground and make guys on the other side of a wall fall over dead.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: October 18, 2010, 04:37:17 PM »
Really? Huh. I should brush up on my game knowledge. I always thought they stacked, weird.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: October 18, 2010, 10:37:37 PM »
Yeah if they stacked honestly you might see more use out of Black Magic in the regular game (Rods + 108 Gems would be nuts) if it wouldn't just end up being ignored for the Ifrit/Shiva/OldManGuyLightning summons even more than they already are.

But yeah it isn't going to effect itemisation overly much, it is replacement for Poison Rod >_>

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: October 19, 2010, 12:46:44 PM »
Nah, more during the deep dungeon is when people would double or triple strengthen.  Your pre strengthen MA needs to be above 12 to get a real bonus over +2 MA, which implies not low-level, maybe Chapter 4.  (For Earth Slash your pre-strengthen PA needs to be above 20 to get a damage bonus over +2 PA).

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: October 22, 2010, 01:43:40 AM »
The Wizard of Ozvalice Playthrough - Chapter 3!

Coal City Goland - Fantastic Unlimited Wufei Magey Olan Toto

Stop working on all enemies but -one- = lols. Tin Man and Toto did cleanup while everything died.

Imperial Capital Lesalia - Zalmo does the Red Slipper dance

This fight is nasty in a vacuum. It really is. Then you remember this is an assassination mission and Zalmo fucking sucks. I lost half my party to the Geomancer orgy (3/3 Stop  added effect in a single casting? What are the -odds-? Fuck you), but Tin Man was still cruisin' and ingloriously OHKOed Zalmo. Seriously, Charge+Two Hands is borderline ridiculous ST damage.

USB Cable Library 1 - All Is Full of Love Marital Abuse

You know what's funny? Charming one of the Lancers and positioning your Mime so he targets that Charm on the -other- Lancer and a Time Mage. The TM got away with it, but those Lancers slaughtering their allies to me was gloriously unbalanced. I ended up just petrifying them afterwards for laughs.

USB Cable Library 2 - toro and Gate want to be Holly

One reset due to letting the goddamn Summoners live while leading half my party their way. I dunno there either. The winning attempt had Toto mimicking Dorothy staff swings into the aether while Tin Man charged a lovetap and Strawman alternated dying and Silencing the Summoners. Somehow that worked. BY THE WAY: the winning run also involved Toto Charge +7 OHKOing Strawman. >_>

USB Cable Library 3 - Wiegraf Flora wants to be Holly too

The usual. Four resets due to setup shuffling. I ended up making Lion and Tin Man Lancers on the winning run, which involved a failed Charge +7 mimic and Lion's lovetap Jump at a JPless Lancer winning the fight. Gooooooooo figure.

Grog Hill - Why was this fight in FFT again?

I always start this fight poorly in LFT just to end up toppling it like this was vanilla FFT. Nothing of note besides the Chemists insisting on using Raise instead of Phoenix Down off -that- Faith.

Yardow Fort City - A dog, a mime and a meteor walk into a bar...

So, Dorothy -finally- learned Meteor for this fight. Which uh meant that she walked up to the wall, dropped a planet-sized rock on half the battlefield and it blew up. Only a Summoner and a Thief were left. Noteworthy fact: Toto OHKOed Lion with Meteor. >_>

Yugioh Woods - Where THROW ITEM spoils Ancient Egypshun Layzer Beems

Two resets on this fight because the ghosts are DIRTY FILTHY WHORES until you remember you should have Throw Item equipped on your Strawman whenever you want to use items a lot. Then the fight got spoiled by Strawman.

Riovanes Castle Gates - Malak wants to be Oz a dick

Weird fight. I had Strawman with Steal as a secondary for that Defender and Auto-Potion (hey, I mastered Chemist just beforehand with him), Dorothy with Arrow Guard (I'm not saying no to spillover JP RSM) and Lancer Tin Man. Lion as a Squire with Punch Art because he started settling into mobile utility with random damage (you see, he has a Flame Whip... not that it -matters- because he rarely goes on the offense). The archers are honestly the most threatening enemies in the map, as is par for the course for LFT, but they sorta just kept ramming into Auto-Potion and Strawman's evade (see, he also has Equip Shield...). Once I had neutralized the Defender Knight and got Tin Man to slaughter the archers, things were pretty much set in stone.

Riovanes Castle 2 - Where Flora turns into the ugliest little girl in the universe

Three resets, pretty par for the course due to slowly letting the fight go out of my control. Wiggy 3 himself is quite simple: Dorothy plays the Yulie game with turtling - Haste, then Slow Wiegraf, staff thwack, alternate heals and Holy to finish him up (ended up buying the spell specifically for Wiggy). Undead was a concern, but he never lucked out there. I obviously could've just gone straight for an inelegant 2HKO here, since Wiggy doesn't 2HKO Dorothy (...), but this manipulation got me very reliably to a Dorothy doubleturn on Velius and his support. So, Dorothy walks up to the party, drops a Meteor, doubleturns, thwacks stupid surviving demon and sets herself up for magnificent bait to Velius while my party walks up to him. Once that happens, it's a race against the clock: Velius -will- lose Innocent before he gets downed, and once that happens, the Summons start shaking. So, I began damaging him so he'd at least go ST, since round-robin revival can carry the day here. And it does! While Velius constantly lolohkoed Dorothy, Strawman and Lion, Toto and Tin Man delivered the pain. Simple plan, but it's pretty easy for it to go wrong.

Riovanes Castle Rooftop - Celia and Lede can't be Holly either

Typical rooftop affair. Set up sacrificial speed 9 Strawman (for all that this is his default >_>) and OHKO an Assassin. Which Tin Man pulled off against roughly 30% odds of hitting at all. Not that it mattered, since Meteor would've killed them anyway. Did I mention Meteor makes me cry tears of joy?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:26:47 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: October 24, 2010, 03:59:22 PM »
Just a little reminder on Adramelk: yes, he does prioritize Night Sword over Undeath if he's in range to kill someone with it, which, considering the fight's design, is obnoxiously often early on. This is a pain in the ass.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 04:03:54 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: October 30, 2010, 02:53:53 PM »
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/8-gamefaqs-contests/56953309

Cute little idea seen on gfaqs: historically Samurai were gun users.  Not sure we'd want this in LFT (which is more about fantasy tropes than historical accuracy), but still amusing to think about.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: October 30, 2010, 06:02:23 PM »
That's somewhat untrue, though. While it's true the Japanese adopted guns for a time eventually guns (and every other piece of Western influence) were discontinued, heavily regulated, and eventually banned altogether. This is also why open trading with Europeans was discontinued except for a small group of Dutch in northern Japan that were kept under strict quarantine. The Japanese didn't bother with guns again until Perry's fleet forced them to reopen their ports and they realized they needed to modernize quickly.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: January 03, 2011, 10:12:56 AM »
Laggy Fantasy Tactics!  I didn't actually read through the changelog, but it removes the need for Gained JP Up (so I'll actually think about what to set for support) and it removes Yell cheese (which is what carried me through any fight that seemed hard in FFT) and I can't really think of anyone I'd trust more with FFT's gameplay than Laggy and mc.

As Laggy is painfully aware, my challenge for this file is going to be the challenge of playing FFT without actually knowing how FFT works.  Until Laggy mentioned it to me, I didn't even know you could check when a spell would resolve in the turn order, or that you could look at the turn order at all.  All of Chapter 1 was played before I learned how CT gauges work.  Any "feedback" from me is the feedback of a novice who cheesed through the vanilla game without learning anything about it.

~

So I have Ramza learning Knight, plus a physically-oriented generic doing whatever with no real plan in mind, and a couple of female casters with no specific plans either.  Chapter 1 gets wrecked by Knight Ramza with Maintenance, basically.  There are a lot of knights to fight, they don't react well to getting their own stuff broken, and there's nothing they can do unarmed that I can't heal away pretty easily.  Algus is actually not so easy and gives me some resets before I work out where to position people so that I can get my big Fire2 on him, then finish him off with arrows rained down from the roof while the rest of my party dies.  This only worked because Algus missed a bunch of autopotions in a row; at the end, with only my archer alive and dealing a lot less than 30 damage a shot, I was screwed if autopotion started activating.  But it didn't!  So I enter Chapter 2 vaguely aware that luck had gotten me through Fort Zeakden and that my team isn't actually very powerful or well-constructed.

Dorter gives me a pretty intimidating reset right away.  One of my casters gets charmed immediately, the thieves outslug me, my archer with weapon breaks doesn't really contribute enough.  I switch him over to thief (keeping Battle Skill secondary) and try again, repositioning to avoid a turn-one Steal Heart.  This time I get lucky: he swings twice with Weapon Break and takes out both of Andy's knives.  Andy can still do 20+20 with his bare hands, though, and ends up killing a mage before I finish him off.  I can't quickly disable the archers now, so I just tank through the barrage, hasting Ramza so he can get some hits in while Wishing everyone back to life.  Eventually the enemy time mages run out of MP, get their weapons broken, and become useless.  Archers can't kill Ramza and can't keep anyone else down while he's up.  After about ten uses of Wish the battle ends favorably.

Saving Boco fight is uneventful.  I use Ramza's Cheer Up on Boco and he takes the opportunity to get further away from the goblins; without him at risk, killing goblins with fire is trivial.  At Zirekile Falls, Ramza gets an Mbarrier, has Maintenance, and breaks all the knights' stuff.  And then their speed.  And then Delita kills them with Lightning Stab.  Saving Mustadio is easy too, though it ends up taking forever thanks to the X-Potion knight.

Bariaus Hill doesn't present much difficulty, although a lancer OHKOs my priest right at the start with a jump.  The highlight here is when there's only a lancer with 100 HP left and he's retreated to the back of the map, one square from the edge of the cliff.  With two dashes in a row (one from my monk, then another from Ramza) I send him off the cliff for a glorious 83 fall damage.  You'd think lancers would be immune, somehow.

Zigolis Swamp somehow goes nightmarishly even though Seal Evil wrecks pretty much everything here.  First a reset because my priest got killed immediately and Ramza got Stopped before he could wish her back.  I try again, move my casters more out of the way and have them take one undead down with Silf+Cure.  Ramza and my monk get hit with 100% Stop.  I threw in Boco just to fill space -- I end up sending him to a side of the map on his own, where most of the enemies waste some time giving him about five different statuses.  Mustadio is slowly petrifying the map from a distance, but everyone else is just getting Stopped and then one of the undead that I killed with Silf+Cure gets back up and kills Mustadio and everything is unpleasant.  With 4 HP left, a zombie Boco finishes one undead off with a Chocobo Cure, killing himself in the process.  Stop wears off and I'm able to mop up, but it's really ugly.  That my monk can use Replenish on my priest ends up being very important here.

Goug quickly devolves into what a lot of battles have been: everyone dying except Ramza, who saves the day with Wish.  It helps that the archers have trouble hitting him (one misses with what would have been a 180+ damage Charge+20 that I had no way of interrupting or avoiding) and the summoners decide to get close.  I threw Boco in again for the fifth slot, but he gets poached by a thief.  Oh well!  There's a nice bit here where a thief goes for my monk and gets Hamedo'd to death.  Eventually Ramza and my monk kill everything except the archers, which they can more or less ignore while the monk yells at Ramza and Ramza wishes at my dead casters.  My monk dies, I wish up my priest, she raises the monk, both get shot at.  My monk barely survives and is close enough to hit an archer, who gets finished off by Ramza.  Then, more wishing for a while as the surviving archer fails to make an impression.  Eventually I get enough people alive (and Ramza's speed high enough, by the monk's yells) that I can chase him down without having to worry about timers, so that fight ends.  "It's healthier to keep your nose out of certain things.  Like princesses and--"  "What's a nose?"

Noticing that Mustadio has unlocked Mime while he's been away, I decide to try it out.  One reset on Bariaus Valley.  Afterwards I decide to try out Archer instead, and I reshuffle the starting positions so that my summoner can actually affect the main battle.  The fight starts with oracle Ramza (I was trying to get him to mediator) getting berserked by an enemy oracle just before he can move, then retaliating with a 60-damage toad rod physical.  This gets him a kill, although then he gets knocked out by some knights and the oracle gets revived.  Agrias gets hit with Negotiate for 88% Stop and is out of the fight for a while.  I land a Silf on a couple knights and a priest, but none of them die and a Cure3 heals back a lot of it.  A death sentence lands on my summoner and priest.

Across the river, Mustadio charges shots at the priest while my geomancer trades physicals with the oracle.  I wish I had a slightly higher Charge so I could get a 2HKO and spamlock her, but I don't so I can't.  Then this priest hops across a rock and spends a turn healing away my Silf damage on her teammates, so Mustadio spamlocks her from there and they spend many turns thus engaged.  My geomancer barely wins the duel with the oracle but ends up far away from the action.

Back in the main fight, I get another Silf off (finishes one knight), poke the priest to death with my priest from there, and get Agrias back when Stop wears off, so the fight's in my hands again.  The remaining oracle and knight try to mess with Agrias, fruitlessly.  I finally get a raise on Ramza while my summoner, without enough MP to summon anything, tries a Don't Move on the knight.  It hits, so he sits there using Potions while Agrias and Ramza kill the oracle again.  Then my summoner and priest die from their death sentence and I have to wonder for a second whether I'm alright: Ramza doesn't have Wish equipped, Mustadio is still unable to kill his priest, Agrias does 30 with Stasis Sword while the knight calmly heals for 30 with potions.  Then my geomancer finally catches back up from across the map, finishes off the priest who's trying to hide in the water, and frees up Mustadio to go contribute damage with his charges.  And a Stop from Agrias connects, which ends the healing, so the race to avoid crystallizing doesn't end up being as close as I'd thought.

~

I gave Golgorand one attempt tonight, with a discouragingly lopsided result.  Ramza was still on Oracle, to be fair, so really I should go fight a random and get him to Mediator so I can break things with a gun.  The whole reason I'm training a priest now is because I'm aware of how reliant I've gotten on Wish; if I keep things that way, Ramza doesn't get to move his Battle Skill over to a new class now that he's learned all the breaks, which was the idea all along.  So I'll have to get used to playing without free revival always available to drag out a fight until breaks and yells eventually tip things my way, which honestly felt a bit cheesy anyway.  Still no clear idea what I'm doing long-term with my generics.  The fighter guy got Hamedo off monk and I was thinking of sending him to thief next, maybe.  One caster is doing summoner for a long time to learn the spells, the other is staying on priest to learn the spells for now, but neither one actually has an adequate reaction or movement set.  They basically just picked up MAU and that's it for now.

Pretty excited to continue the file, assuming I actually do get past Golgorand eventually.  I think the only uninteresting fight for me has been Zirekile, with the vast majority of battles coming down to tense situations.  A better player would have probably breezed through a lot of the maps that gave me trouble, but I'm impressed that a mod made by experienced FFT players is still balanced for people who aren't necessarily experienced FFT players, and it sounds like you've included optional superfights as well to cover the spectrum.  Basically it feels like playing a new (better, so far) game rather than playing a fan hack.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:14:27 AM by Otter »

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: January 05, 2011, 09:18:43 PM »
This might be a goofy project to start right before I go back to school but I'm doing it anyway!  The idea was that I'd only allow a class to use its own abilities (like an SCC) but I'd have a mix of classes.  It's a challenge that probably won't be extraordinarily difficult (easier than actual SCCs) but it's still a constraint and cuts me off from feeling obliged to get "optimal" characters.  At Laggy's advice ("Include at least one caster") I opt for a priest, archer, monk, mediator, mime party makeup.

Our hero is Athanasius the Priest.  I give him a May 2 birthday for the Feast of Athanasius, so he's Taurus.

First I dismiss all my starting generics and recruit Philoctetes the Archer, Entellus the Monk, and Nero the Mime.  All Capricorns.  Alcibiades the Mediator will join us later.

After the Algus rescue, I blow my 700 gil on a flail for Athanasius.  The "challenge" begins on Sweegy, so I grind Mandalia a couple times.  These random fights can be surprisingly nasty; I have to cure charm with physicals and I end up using a lot of items.  No matter, though, since I won't use them after this point and my unlocks are remarkably easy to get.  Nero started with two job levels in each of squire and chemist, so even he has no trouble getting the necessary job points with a little help from Accumulate.

First attempt at Sweegy comes down to my mime hitting for 28 damage on a bomb with 29 hitpoints.  Then the other bomb revives and the result is murder.  Next time, I plan a little better, waste a turn with Wait on my monk to get the turn order right, then set up my mime in front of one bomb and have the monk punch the other one for a double KO to end the battle.  Delita didn't take any actions in this battle; I realize that if I'd been smart I would have put Basic Skill on him so that he could have Accumulated for my mime's sake, at least.

So I give Accumulate to my guests for Dorter and have Entellus learn Chakra while I'm at it so that Athanasius doesn't have to worry too much about MP while he spams Cure and Raise.  There ends up being a lot of Accumulate spam, so Nero becomes a killing machine and cleans up the field.  Athanasius mostly concentrates on nullifying the Fire spam, while Entellus contributes some punches and Philoctetes contributes nothing whatsoever.  With only one mage left alive, I decide to stall things out in hopes of treasure, so Delita and Algus get their lights punched out by Nero, Entellus restores Athanasius's MP, and Athanasius raises Philoctetes.  While I wait out the timers, I accidentally mime a chakra to restore the mage's MP and he starts hitting me with Fire again.  Whoops.  Can't threaten me at all with Athanasius healing everything away, though.  Eventually the treasure drops and I get a Long Bow!  Maybe Philoctetes will have the opportunity to take some actions, soon.

I commence the glorious slaughter of communist dogs by sending Nero up to the door.  He eats a Secret Fist for Don't Move and Death Sentence, so I have Athanasius self-target a Reraise.  Philoctetes takes a pot shot at the monk on the other side, aiming dead ahead as he does so, meaning Nero deals hits the monk in front of him; a punch in the air from my own monk finishes that guy off.  Grefter sets up behind the fallen body and Defends, blocking the door.  So I chakra away the MP used on Reraise and leave Nero also blocking the door where he is, not that I have much choice with Don't Move.  Algus is accumulating for me, so this is a stalemate I like.  After the Death Sentence and reraise, Nero gets killed again by the archer, so they break through that door and I have to raise him again.  The fight gets a little more tense here, but not much, since Grefter is still defending in his corner; chakra lets Athanasius spam what he needs while I have Philoctetes up on the roof taking free shots.  Entellus gets Spin Fist and Secret Fist from a crystal.  I finally get Nero behind Grefter and a couple punches end it.  Took longer than I thought.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:59:53 AM by Otter »

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: January 07, 2011, 06:59:02 AM »
The communist purge continues.  There's a strange moment when Miluda lands a Magic Break on Athanasius to take away both Protect and Reraise, but she goes down shortly thereafter.  Nice try, Lenin!  The second fight is actually pretty difficult because, without Concentrate learned yet, I don't really have a way around her evasion.  Lots of reraise/chakra spam is the inelegant solution.  Eventually I get Nero behind her in time for a Charge+10 into thin air from Philoctetes.  My archer blind-firing useless shots so that my mime can hit things is becoming a big theme, and this would be fine except he's badly underleveled from all these unrewarded actions, and he only gets moreso.

Wiegraf is the hardest fight so far.  No breaks, no offensive spells, no way to circumvent evasion.  This means I have no way to assassinate him quickly without hoping for incredible luck, so I slowly take down his support one by one and abuse a lot of reraise/chakra.  Once they're all out of my way I surround him and get that assassination thing going.  Algus probably would've been a bit harder if his mages hadn't hit him with a Fire3 and a Bolt2, but maybe they had voted to frag this commander.

I fly through early Chapter 2 on the wings of mime, and love.  Delita makes Nero a zombie mime but otherwise business as usual.  After Bariaus Hill, I realize it's time to bring in Alcibiades, so I recruit him and enter a random battle.  The result is that I am devoured by level 18 bull demons.  I should mention that at this point my archer is only level 6.  So I decide that my mime has made randoms impractical and get my new guy into Mediator by propositions alone.  After a suspicious amount of undocumented travel between Dorter and Orbonne, Alcibiades is ready to practice the timeless art of diplomacy, so I proudly send him forth to shoot ghosts with a gun in a moist swamp.

A thief in Goug has an awfully hard time hitting Athanasius with anything for some reason.  After two turns and four attempts, he succeeds in destroying the priest's hat.  Athanasius and Nero both manage to die, get back up, and die again, but Entellus has Revive.  I revive Nero only to realize that he's still facing a summoner he punched to death, so the mimed Revive brings an enemy back, but all it means in the long run is that he gets to punch him to death again.  Alcibiades does some useful damage without putting himself in any danger; being level 2 isn't that big of a deal when you're using a gun.

During the Bariaus Valley fight I realize I can snipe the priests easily now that I have two ranged weapons, so I do that.  Agrias hits with a Stop at the start of the battle and makes things pretty manageable.  Athanasius goes down at the start of the Golgorand fight when I make the mistake of charging up a Reraise without moving out of range of the knights.  What follows is an absurd revive-fest.  Entellus keeps reviving Athanasius only to watch him die again immediately, but the knights can't really kill him because he has Hamedo.  I try a Secret Fist on one of them.  Success!  Elsewhere, Alcibiades Negotiates with an archer, but is quickly killed by a Charge from the other one plus a fire spell.  My own archer jumps straight up to the top of the wall and kills a time mage.  After killing Gafgarion early, Nero wanders around mopping people up, then goes to stand next to Alcibiades so he can mime a Revive on him.  This process is repeated for Philoctetes, who's been killed on top of the wall, while Alcibiades dies again.  Eventually the Death Sentence from Secret Fist kills one of the two knights (yes!), and Athanasius gets a turn, but I can see from the CT counters that he won't have time for any spells before the remaining knight kills him.  So I try a physical, and Melt ensues.  There's actually more Reviving to be mimed in order to beat the timers and finish the fight safely, but from here things inevitably go my way.

Lionel Gate goes very badly indeed when Athanasius just barely misses the OHKO on Gafgarion with his newly-learned Holy, mostly because he doesn't have enough MP to cast anything else once that's gone.  So I reset and give him a Wizard Mantle; sure enough, the bump up to 8 MA does it.  Rubber Boots trivialize a lot of the fight outside, and eating Gaffy's soul gets me some much-needed MP to revive Entellus when he dies due to sloppiness on my part.  I take some time at the end to spam Praise a bit at my monk and mime, both to raise their damage and to get Alcibiades a couple levels.

The Queklain fight is uneventful compared to my last game's, which had been complicated by the fact that I hadn't brought status protection or green berets along.  Athanasius is killed by knights in the first round, revived by Entellus, gets his turn, and self-targets Cure3.  Nero has moved next to him, so the result is full healing and both knights down.  I have Safety Rings on everyone but Nero, so status doesn't really scare me; he lands Petrify on Alcibiades but Esuna cures it while Quek gets hit with Charges and punches.  Charge+7 is too slow, but Charge+6 works.  Nero dies to a Death Sentence but has a Reraise coming when Quek tries his physical on Entellus and ends the chapter on a Hamedo.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:06:48 AM by Otter »

dis astranagant

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: January 12, 2011, 03:02:24 AM »
Is it really necessary for most early random encounters to have multiple enemies that spam attacks that remove control of your units?  The mod seems interesting, but getting wiped in my first random encounter to 3 red panthers steal hearting half my squad followed by a goblin confusing the one guy left after the charmed guys got their turns is just bullshit.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: January 12, 2011, 03:16:34 AM »
I'm not going to lie; early randoms before you have much of anything are pretty unforgiving and it's a common complaint. It's a tradeoff to make them have remotely threatening abilities later onward. Mainly I would suggest just checking to make sure you don't move within 3 range of Panthers early on, and if you must move in range make sure they can get in melee with you (they tend to prefer physicals or Poison Nail over Steal Heart if they can do it), and utilize Throw Stone/Heal/judicious Potion use early.

Once your team gains some mileage like better ranged options and damage it'll improve a bit, but yeah, I can understand the complaints there. Other few notes that may be of help - Squires can use crossbows now, Wish can revive, etc. You may also want to do story battles for a bit before sitting down to do randoms just to have the guest help.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: January 12, 2011, 08:10:47 PM »
It's a tradeoff to make them have remotely threatening abilities later onward.

Y'know, actually, there doesn't necessarily need to be such a significant tradeoff.  It's quite possible to make monsters with moves that are 5% accurate at level 1, and 100% accurate at level 20.  We've taken a couple steps towards this direction (using Charm and not Allure on Red Panthers, for instance) but we certainly could crank that design knob harder.

EDIT: or just modify the ENTDs for randoms that can show up in Mandalia Chapter 1 and such.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:22:44 PM by metroid composite »

dis astranagant

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: January 13, 2011, 11:23:08 PM »
Where do I find the tree dudes?  Having a little baby Hashmalum on my team sounds fun.  Doing something of a modified MR4M game, though it's fast devolving into Ramza and his red chocobo murder squad shit choco meteor everywhere forever.  I'm earlyish in chapter 3 (just did UBS) and I could have sworn I saw a taiju in Araguay, but the game's been stingy since.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 11:26:02 PM by dis astranagant »