Register

Author Topic: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)  (Read 410678 times)

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: LFT: An FFT mod (Final Release - Download here!)
« Reply #1400 on: October 14, 2010, 02:43:53 AM »
Raise 3 is a Ifrit-range Raise spell which does half-max-HP damage and removes Undead. It is sad times.

Isn't that kinda counter to the...entire design of the fight?

The idea was to force everyone to spend the fight Zombied, which shuts down a lot of relevant strategies like no Auto-Potion, no revival, most healing does not work, etc.  (And you're probably doing this while wearing a charm-blocking accessory, which reduces your options).  Removing Zombie mid-fight seems like it...completely breaks that design.

Don't get me wrong--I'm cool with the multitarget raise since the singletarget version on him was not scary...but how is this fight not an enforced blitz now?  Once you bait Zombie, you have two turns to kill before Adramelk de-zombies with Raise 3 and then heals to full on a de-zombied target.  (Assuming he doesn't just doubleturn you with that 15 speed, in which case that's one turn to blitz...).  I kinda suspect most parties won't even bother with the Zombie setup, since it doesn't get them much extra time to blitz, and will instead just aim to blitz him in one round (which I thought was exactly what we didn't want design-wise).

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: October 14, 2010, 03:00:34 AM »
1. Undeath doesn't inflict charm anymore. Adramelk has a new Fear move that does that.

2. Adramelk actually does NOT automatically use Night Sword even if he's injured; he only tends to use it below a certain HP threshold and it isn't guaranteed. Undeath is a high enough priority move (hits entire screen, inflicts Undead/Slow/Darkness) that he'll still generally favor it unless he's at critical HP, which is what a combination of Protect/Shell and Critical Quick partially circumvents. In other words, most parties doing the intuitive thing - beating up on him before his first turn - won't get them killed unless they're really high offense (unless they're so good they blitz past his Critical Quick range, which should be... uncommon >_>).

The complaint before was that it was completely non-obvious that you're not supposed to damage him beforehand, and oftentimes resulted in players never seeing his trademark move (Undeath).

3. Raise 3 doesn't necessarily enforce blitzing. If Raise 3 kills the target, they remain zombied. If they survive and become unzombied, you can still kill them (and revive them when they're out of range from him or something). He also still shows a surprising marked tendency to pick MT moves over overkilling someone with Night Sword at times, and you can bait his AI into doing other things if it's optimal (his Fear moves are all MT).

While certainly rushing him down in a 2 turn strategy is an option and possibly one of the better ones, that doesn't bother me - what bothered me was killing him before he got a turn, and the previous solution to that was one that garnered enough scrutiny about how it was executed that I felt it could be changed to something better.

Raise 3 is also reflectable!!!!!!!!!111oneone
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: October 14, 2010, 03:03:40 AM »
2. Adramelk actually does NOT automatically use Night Sword even if he's injured; he only tends to use it below a certain HP threshold and it isn't guaranteed. Undeath is a high enough priority move (hits entire screen, inflicts Undead/Slow/Darkness) that he'll still generally favor it unless he's at critical HP, which is what a combination of Protect/Shell and Critical Quick partially circumvents. In other words, most parties doing the intuitive thing - beating up on him before his first turn - won't get them killed unless they're really high offense (unless they're so good they blitz past his Critical Quick range, which should be... uncommon >_>).

This is pretty counter-intuitive to my own experiences, where he uses Night Sword every turn he can basically. If you put anyone near him at the start of the battle, he will Night Sword them. Raise 3 does encourage massive blitz which is what I tried to say in chat before!
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: October 14, 2010, 03:18:02 AM »
Over using Undeath? o_O

That's weird, that's not what my testing showed at all.

Well, I could always axe out that particular part of Raise 3. He just seems a bit... underwhelming then.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: October 14, 2010, 03:39:08 AM »
I agree.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: October 14, 2010, 03:43:02 AM »
Raise 3 I'm fine with cancelling undead. It's just kinda non-scary if it doesn't. Strangely. <_<

Though if you wanted it to not cancel undead, you could make up for this non-scariness by making it have a huge radius. Maybe. I dunno what advice to give with that battle. I actually like the design generally, but it's a hard one to balance.

My own general experience is that if someone is in range turn 1, Adramelk will Night Sword them (at least if you're blocking Slow? Not certain otherwise), but otherwise he'll use Undeath, since he wants to start walking down the battlefield the long way. This assumes that there's nobody in melee range with Adramelk already either due to dragging the Dycedarg fight or using Fly/Teleport/Ignore Height to get someone up there.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: October 14, 2010, 04:10:10 AM »
I'm fine with leaving Raise 3 as is as far as it impacts normal parties since I'm not really worried about their ability to handle Adramelk. I'm just wrapping my head as to how SCCs would optimally fight him. High damage ones and ones that can set up in the Dycedarg fight generally won't have an issue; I'm pondering what classes don't fit that criteria and have seemingly little recourse against him (barring Mime/TrueCalc).

That said, if he favors Night Sword that much I don't think it's possible to enforce Undeath showing up, although I am pretty sure he gives it considerably higher priority if you don't block Slow, because I've definitely seen him use it even though he was hurt. Most people won't default to blocking Slow when they go into that fight.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: October 14, 2010, 04:54:29 AM »
Do Knights beat him?  I mean, they even have healing that goes through undead, the potential to break him to 1 speed, and it still sounds brutal.

What about Chemists?  If they don't zombie up, they won't have the ability to bypass night sword, and if they do zombie up, they don't have a skillset.

Archers?  15 speed kills charge, so their damage will not be great.

Thieves?  No healing, plus I'm not sure their damage is high enough; would need to run calculations, though, since their damage may just be so good it doesn't matter.

Lancers?  He's too fast to jump on, and you need the accessory slot so...move 3 and spears.  Sounds...eww.

Dancers?  Wtf do they even do here?

Classes which jumped to mind as potentially having serious issues.  And I'd have to hash these out more to be sure (maybe reflect mail, block slow, ice healing pulls Knights through easily, for instance).

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: October 14, 2010, 05:04:09 AM »
One problem with blocking slow is that the only way to do it currently gives you +25% evade (make that +50% against your own attacks, since Undeath inflicts Dark). This makes it more difficult to remove Charm and in the Knights' case, heal.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: October 14, 2010, 06:07:19 AM »
Priest SCC - Kletian -- 22 resets and counting! This is amazing(ly frustrating and makes me want to jump off a bridge).

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: October 14, 2010, 06:30:18 AM »
With Reflect Mail, Knights have little to fear. They go in, get zombied, block Petrify so that all they have to worry about is Charm and Don't Move. Adramelk literally cannot damage them beyond charmed actions, so if they're all sporting Ice Brand and Ice Shields they can't even hurt each other unless they break their weapons or shields (and even then, hitting Knight defenses.) Honestly probably one of the easiest ones to deal with.

Chemists take zombie and shoot with spellguns, splitting up as necessary so only one of them is hit at a time.

Archers time like +20 charges at him beforehand, or use POISON BOW and poison him (he can be poisoned, AND he can be Don't Move'd from Gastrafitis as well.)

Thieves have access to Chicken Knives and poaches in general, so ultimately I don't think they'd have an issue there.

Lancers, like Archers, time their Jumps beforehand, and abuse PA Save in the fight previous.

Dancers ... I don't know, Dancers are probably the one class I find questionable to clear an SCC with other than Mime and Truecalc. In theory some Last Dance ridiculousness could pull it off, buuuuut yeah. I'm not sure. I don't know if I care about Dancers, though. >_>

EDIT: oh, what dancers do is charm knights into the fight. I totally forgot that Nameless can do that now. Is this sane? No. Is it possible? Yes. Hell, it actually wouldn't be horrifying if you got one of the knights with Battle Song, since they all come loaded with Bard JLVs.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:43:11 AM by Laggy »

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: October 14, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
Hey guys, downloaded this patch a week or so back, just finished a full run through of the game+after-game so thought I'd throw up some of my thoughts (this was all done before the recent change to Ultima Demons/Meliadoul). Since this will be quite the wall of text I'll break it down into a few posts. I cover the regular game very little since I didn't actually have much to say about it, aside from a few comments. So most of this will be dealing with the after-game, so I suppose...spoilers? (Oh yeah, everything was written while I was playing so if it looks odd, that's why).

Velius was a nice surprise, getting more dangerous when he gets critical. However...one slight problem with this, the demons are as usual, a non-issue. And as long as one demon isn't in critical, but Velius is, he does nothing. Hence, with just 2 rezzers you can keep it going for eternity...or till the demons run out of MP.

Chapter 3 feels slightly improved, but putting a Defender right before Wiefgraf? Really? It makes the 1-on-1 fight ridiculously easy if you have a Blood Sword (Defender's regen+Blood Sword parisitic healing is greater then anything Wiefgraf can put out). The maintenance was a very, very nice touch. I actually went in planning to break his sword, then accumulate (wearing that thingy to prevent insta-death from his 'punches') and then smash Velius into tiny pieces in one hit...but alas.

Bethla South is awesome now. It used to be perhaps the easiest fight in all of Chapter 3&4, and is  now at least as hard as Bethla North (which seems nerfed without the Summoner, the dancer is essentially a non-issue). Dycedarg...was a pleasant surprise, Holy Explosion makes him SLIGHTLY more threatening, however without Maintenance he is still a joke, since driving him down to critical and then killing all his Knights save one (who will usually spend his time doing something moronic like singing Last/Nameless Song, the song that gives health is slightly more tricky but not by much). Giving Dycedarg Maintenance+Weapon Guard would make this fight far more threatening. Adramelk looks like he may have been a problem reading other peoples reports, but with 6-7 rounds of Cheer Song and Ramza Screaming his face off, he died before he even got a turn. That's where the problem of a weak Dycedarg is, if Dyce poses no long-term threat in Part 1, you can abuse Part 2 by super-buffing your stats, thereby making Adramelk a non-issue.

POST-END EDIT: Yeah, Adramelk is a monstrosity without abusing part 1 unless in End he has a differing behavior/skills.

Improved Zalbag with a very nice steal item is...quite a task. Gravi2 non-charge *vomits*. Hurricane really needs to be removed off the Ultima Demons skill list though, "lololol I'mma do a maybe miss 67 damage when I could nuke you to high hell with a 212 damage Ultima :O".  Funny thing is how I won. Vampire Ramza (who sat around doing nothing most of the time because I kept the rest of my team on 'non-blood suck panels') biting Zalbag, then double turning everyone...and biting him again..when the only other person alive was Orlandu (who isn't 1/2 as OP as before without Divine Knight sword skills) who had a lethal Ultima trailed on him.

I'll touch on the new Vormav-Rofel-Kletian fight as well. Since this is probably the most improved fight in the game so far (if you are trying to steal). What was once basically bam-wham-kazzam! On Kletian (over before any of the Terrifying Trio even moved). Has become a steal fight, and I love steal fights..also you can't really take out Kletian 1/2 as fast as before. And Rofel's goddamn Abandon+Venetian Shield combo stops you from doing ANYTHING physical to him...unless you steal it with your first move. All in all I had my entire team dead sans Meliadoul and Gaius by the time I stole both Shields and Vormav's Defender, which wasn't stolen because of it's rarity or anything, but because he would have killed someone the next turn with his 'skillz'. Ended up winning with a Physical attack+Magic redirect unto Keltian (he was already quite beat up).

Well, I'm going to do the aftergame before the endgame since aside from Balk I can't for see any fights being slightly difficult

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: October 14, 2010, 07:19:56 AM »
After-Game Rundown:
-Colliery of Catastrophe-
Mmmmkay, first attempt at the Colliery at lvl.38 didn't go well. That Squire was just way, way too fast un-freezing the Samurai who proceeded to absolutely annihilate me along with the Stone Gunners. So I went out, unlocked Mime for all my main party. And had 2 very, very long fights with Caesar(Ramza) and 4 Mimes just miming his accumulates+Praises to get a lvl.60-75 party.

Second time, went much better. I'll do a short list on my thoughts about each fight.

Ko-Ko-Ko Army: Single. Most. Frustrating. Fight...EVER! Though, since each of my people could one shot each of the Ko's. It went much faster, especially with Caesar double turning everyone. The first time took significantly longer then the second time at post-60 levels.

So..many..rare..items..must..STEAL: As I said, the first time I attempted this. It annihilated me. Which says a lot, since I have 3 Rez capable people (Caesar, Priediator, Bardist) and 2 of those have Auto-Potion, which seems to be going off a lot less often then in vanilla FFT.  The Sleeping Samurai can be absolutely devastating if they are allowed to move. And the Stone Gunners aren't much better, Strago is just far too close to really be a worry. Basically, I had Caesar run all the way up to the Gunners and take each of them out before they had a turn thinking I'd rez them back up once I have the Samurai/Squire under control...only to find out...they don't have a timer haha! Orlandu went around smashing the Samurai with some help from my Thiefja. Priediator and Chemthief slowly crept up to the top stealing the FS-Bag and killing Strago on the way up.  Went after the Squires gear next (Threaten is my new favorite ability) while keeping the Fairy Bard in Chicken Mode (Caesar has Ying-Yang secondary). Once the Squire was Stripped, I had Orlandu kill her. Then revived the Gunners, stole their, guns and re-killed them, then killed the Chicken/Bard. All in all, a challenging but very much doable fight.

Plethora of Pain: Wow...this had to me scared at first look. But then I found out m.c has little health (one-shot by Caesar). Did the same as in the previous fight, killed everyone except Laggy...well actually I killed him about 20 times out of frustration from being unable to steal his stuff but still. Excal has a severe flaw in my run-through, he only used his sub-par Ying-Yang skills the whole time, which made it rather easy to steal his Armor+Helm, and then One-shot him while he was asleep from Mimic Daravon. Elfboy seemed to be the most dangerous with his Dark Magic skills, and he was rezzed by Laggy while i was busy stealing stuff (Damn you Laggy!). But I swiftly re-killed him, then rezzed Ciato to steal his weapons...which almost made him kill Orlandu, Carmine (Thiefja), and Caesar, but he was put back down, then rezzed m.c, stole her shield, re-killed, killed Laggy for one final time. Easier then the previous fight since aside from Elfboy and Ciato, few things could really damage me.

Let's Jump and Dance: Once again I did the 'kill all but one and rob him blind', here of course this strategy is significantly harder with flying, non-charging, super-equipped lancers of DOOM! I had to leave with only Ribbon+Holy Lance+Genji Gear (sans Helm, which I didn't want in any case)+Venetian Shield+Dracula Mantle+Vanish Mantle. I could have kept it going but I had no interest in additional Holy Lances, the second Vanish Mantle would have been nice though. As for the Perfumes, I have about 10 Salty Rages as it is....and Cherche's? Well I have...one...for my retired GeoSummoner. Reis only took 112 damage the whole match, and Beowulf, I think I accidentally hit him with a stray Holy Explosion and he got fried. Probably the easiest in the set asides from the Ko Army, granted my team does specialize in OHKOs which makes mince-meat of most small maps, though I did forget to put Germinas Boots on most of my people, so aside from the ninja, everyone had to take the long way around :S

Closing Thoughts on Colliery: A very nice introduction to the Aftergame, I can see how at the original available level it may be possible to clear it, however clearing it and obtaining almost all the items, is impossible before a pretty high level. The availability of some items in relatively easy battles does strike me as somewhat odd (Snow Muffler, Stone Guns, Secret Clothes, Fairy Harp) considering looking at the DD special battles list, a lot of these items are found in there as well, and we all know DD is much worse then Colliery.

-Necropolis of Nelveska-
Alright, now we are talking! This fight is brutality incarnate. I tried it several times with Gaius (ChemBard), Orlandu, Caesar (Squire-Mediator with Two Hands), Carmine (Ninja Knight), and Malak (with nuked Brave+carabini mail+vanish mantle). And realized there is no way in hell I can do it with 4 characters, so looking through my roster, I realized only one other person could fit in here. Meliadoul! With her new Speed Ruin, and Carmine's speed breaking prowess, I should be able to turn Worker 7 into a non-entity in a maximum of 3 turns (He has 10 speed, Carmine breaks two, Meliadoul breaks three, Caesar Cheer Ups Carmine, he breaks 2 more. That brings it down to 3). And I'm going to go with a 97/03 set-up to try and make those Summoners regret being so Summony. That only leaves Farfetch'ed and Zapdos...Zapdos seems to exist simply as an annoyance, since his damage is lol. While Farfethc'ed...I'll have to take him out before he goes up to 99 PA and OHKOs shit around the block. Back to Nuking my Faith.

Well I just accidentally ran into the Super Fight, while hunting a Hyudra (to breed into a Tiamat and poach for a Chantage). And holy crap. I had no chance of winning, but wow...3 Behemoths, 3 Mimes, and two Dudes I don't even want to know do what. I was promptly put down by Ulmaguest+Gigaflare...before anyone except Carmine and Caesar got to move, interesting...

Well, I finally did it. After 5-10 resets after nuking my Faith down into the low 20s (I got sick of doing it).
4 of those resets were due to a Summoner having Esuna and releasing the Hydra's before I was ready for them (Seriously, those Hydras are....just...wow, even at 50 speed I barely double-turned them, and so...much...hp...). I went with Meliadoul even after I found out that Worker 7 was immune to Speed Ruin (It's a sword skill, come on!). She was instrumental in taking out the summoners as soon as possible. Winning run was just everything coming together (No counter killing Carmine on either of his 2 early breaks, Cid having good comp with the nearest Summoner, Summoners not having Esuna or not using it, Farfethche'd not deciding to start jumping early, and Zapdos not slowing more then 2 people on his first 2 turns, and the Holy-stick-using Summoner being Blade grasped by Caesar). As soon as a summoner and Zapdos was down, it was cake. Well, until I stupidly released both Hydras at the same time (I did not expect them to each take 3+ turns from Caesar to kill even when he was hitting 999 on each swing). They took out Cid and Meliadoul very quickly, but I was able to kill one, revive Cid, revive Meli, and kill the second (thanks to a timely speed break from Carmine). Walked out with 3 items, the Shield, the Lance, and the Knife. Unto the DD!

Set-Up Used:
Caesar-                Carmine-          Orlandu-                Gaius-              Meliadoul-
Excalibur              Spell Blade     Defender             Blaze Gun          Ice Brand
Save the Queen  Spell Blade    Genji Shield                                    Venetian Shield
Black Hood           Thief Hat        Black Hood         Black Hood       Chachusha
Genji Armor      Secret Clothes  Genji Armor       Snow Muffler      Power Sleeve
Chantage             Elf Mantle      Dracula Mantle  Dracula Mantle   Setiemson

Guts                     Throw               All Swordskill     Item                      Charge
Talk Skill            Battle Skill           Item                  Ying Yang           Mighty Sword
Blade Grasp     Abandon          Counter Tackle  Auto Potion         Counter Tackle
Two Swords     Concentrate      Throw Item        Short Charge      Equip Sword
Move+2             Move+2             Move+2             Move+3                Move-Find Item

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: October 14, 2010, 07:21:13 AM »
-Dastardly Devious Despicable Deep Dungeon-
I haven't been here in ages on a regular play-through so I'll mostly only comment on the rare fights since I don't know if you changed anything else.

Nogias: Don't think this was a rare fight, but fighting 6 (7?) goblins who can OHKO and have absolutely obscene levels of HP was funny. Granted Negotiate is still the most ubalanced ability, ever. Scream with Ramza while they are coming up, have 100% at good comp chances to inflict instant stop. I stopped two, and made a bottle neck, then smashed the rest to pieces with Orlandu, Gun shots, and Phoenix Downs (a lot became undead from LS). I had Carmine put Secret Hunt on before I came in here, so it was easy to avoid the Undead Reraise by having him have the last strike on any undead Goblin. Took about an hour to kill them all this way though, got all the items possible.

Terminate: Algus dies again, yaaaay! But honestly, this fight could use some tweaking, Algus' support is not strong enough to warrant him being only a healer/rezzer. I broke the Knights equipment down, had Carmine and Caesar zip around slashing Wizards to death, while Gaius sniped any recently rezzed, and Meliadoul going around gathering items and finding the exit, I eventually pushed Algus into a corner, and beat him, very, very hard. I also noticed you changed StQ for Masamune on this map, a change I cannot really understand.

Tiger: Not quite sure where to put this fight on the difficulty range. It's different from the Altimas in it's Renaimate that's for sure. Though Funeral has such a huge HP pool that truly blitzing him down isn't quite possible. Yet his support is generally so weak that it doesn't entirely matter if he reanimates them. The mimes are pretty slow, and their punches aren't exactly accurate. Combine this with them not miming dances/songs and they are at most a minor annoyance that can often be mass OHKO'd with Draw Out/Orlandu. Funeral himself can do some serious damage though, with Blood Suck/Counters. But killing his support constantly kept him in a state of Reanimate spam. Funny enough, I did use MS Zombie (near the end, to wrap it up faster) and he used Reanimate, because 2 of the mimes were dead...while the rest of his support was undead. Thereby killing them all himself. Pretty meh fight. Though if the mimes worked properly it would have been quite a different story (Quadruple Nameless is...GAAAAH!) Oh and the Bards mainly spent their time casting Haste instead of singing. I'd personally change the Bards to Calculators. This would both increase their threat level, and the mimes. The Dancers are already an annoying factor (can't do my usual, keep everyone really low HP and have them OHKO stuff until someone wastes a turn killing them because of Wiznaibus).

Bridge: Izlude, a semi-difficult enemy in the normal game. And a semi-difficult in the end-game. As I see it, he has some kind of ungodly accuracy, and two-swords. He was able to one-shot anyone in melee range except Orlandu and Caesar. Doing about 520-550 damage. In other words, he hits like a truck on crack. Unfortunately he is pretty slow, as such it was easy to stay out of his melee range, prompting him to use his weak jumps mostly on my auto-potting (but low HP) chemist. Meli went in as an Archer this time, using an Ultimus Bow. She mostly ran around finding items, and occasionally picking off a weakened enemy. I managed to Invite the Dragon Whisker Lancer, and Snow Muffler Geo, which turned this into a route, since by now I had killed the other Geos, and Summoner. Leaving just Izlude and 2 Lancers. He did turn into a killing machine when he went critical (since it took about 5 turns from Orlandu+Caesar to kill him after he knelt down). But with 2 rezzers and an Ultima from Meliadoul he went down, I stripped and booted both the invited after the fight and had stolen the Holy Lance during the fight, meaning the only items I didn't get are the Cursed Ring and one of the elixirs lying around.

Voyage: I'll be back. First attempt went horribly, Galaxy Stop on everyone is just not acceptable. I'll probably use Ribbons or Jade Armlets on everyone next time. Otherwise the main threat are the two nearby knights.

Well, I came back to this fight after the End fights. And it still posed a slight problem. I equipped Jade Armlets on everyone sans Meli/Caesar, nullifying Galaxy Stop problems right there. Broke down Goltana's MA bit-by-bit (I don't think their support even deserves a mention seeing as I took out almost all of them before they even damaged me, the only one who got a hit in was the Dark Sword Knight). Then proceeded to pound down Larg, since his math skills began to annoy me..a lot. He did have Reraise cast on him, and I could never seem to land a Dispel Magic on him, so I just decided to kill him twice (while Goltana annoyed me with his stupid Draw Outs). Hilariously enough, Goltana came down to where revived Large, Caesar, Orlandu, and Meli were. Stood right next to Larg, and drew out Muramasa. Since Larg was still low on HP, and the Muramasa sent him into critical...he Meatbone Slashed Goltana for 999 damage. Which left him in low enough range that when Caesar re-rose yet again, one slash from the Chaos Blade killed him. I didn't bother to steal anything from their support since I already have enough of every item (well except Chiri, Blood Lance, Paladin Shield ;P), but it shouldn't be too difficult as long as you break the two undead knights weapons early on.

Horror:Hmmm, on paper this fight sounds difficult, facing the 4 weaker Zodiacs at the same time, all having a plethora of status effects. However, it ends up being not that difficult at all if you have decent status protection and at least on person with Teleport. Zalera's flight usually puts him into your range of attacks the earliest (and he is arguably the most urgent to kill, along with Queklain seeing as how damage can be healed through, but having 2-3 people under a ton of statuses would be icky), hence in my case he was taken out in 2 turns. First by 2 mid-charge punches from Carmine, a hit from Meliadoul, and a shot from Gaius. Orlandu teleported down to deal with Queklain, double-turning him quite often (took 4 or so swordskills to kill him). This left only Velius, and Hashmalum. I wanted to deal with Velius last, to just blitz him down before his Shock did any real disruption. But he kept blocking my path off the high ground, as such he was killed (Only managing to Shock the ever-reviving Meli, who had put up Kiyomori+Masamune on the entire party) by Orlandu and Carmine. Caesar spent most of the fight healing people from status afflictions. Hashmalum has become more threatening with Damage Split, but he is still pretty easy to take down seeing as how my low Faith physical attacks are pretty much immune to his spells. By the way, is it intended for him to not use Meteor? Because over the entire fight he didn't even attempt it once...strange

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: October 14, 2010, 07:21:46 AM »
End: I'll be breaking this down by the fights encountered.

Enigmatic Eldibis: Wow, this fight really caught me by surprise. I did not expect Eldibis to be THIS hard. The fight ended up taking about 1 hour, 40+ phoenix downs, and a shattered Chantage (but I stole both the others so it's all good). Oh and I was forced to smash an Excalibur, which was ;_; so hard. Eldibis' regen, combined with his crony of super-hard hitting baddies was tough to get through. Partially because I went in with absolutely zero status protection. So getting through his Poison/Frog/Undead/Slow/Darkness/Silence/etc... took far, far too long. I did manage to get both Chiri and Chaos. As well as the Nagrarock and Chantages, but was forced to let the rest go. This is definitely a massive improvement over his previous 'Ehhh kind of hard' status. Quite funny, but with my abyssmal faith and zero status protection, I was overjoyed whenever he decided to cast Zodiac (didn't learn it, not a magic game). I eventually had Meli break his speed down, and was finally able to take him down (together with a poison from Carmine's Koga Knife, seriously, he has some badass Regen). My main mistake was probably not poisoning him much much earlier. All in all, a very good fight. And pretty well balanced. 2 resets were caused by people crystallizing before I could rez them/went undead and weren't cured by Caesar's heal (yeah...I went in with 0 Holy Waters >.<)

Wundertwins: Way, way easier than Eldibis. Even with my low Faith (those dang things hit like trucks), I was fortunate enough to only have Melidoul and Caesar die, and they both were sporting Chantages from the previous fight. Orlandu tore through the opposing females horrendously fast, along with supporting shots from my 87 Faith Gunner, Gaius. Stole the two Chantages, couldn't care less for the other perfumes since I already have 10 Salty Rages, 3 Setiemsons, and a Cherche (which no one uses anyway). Pretty easy fight.

Elder Brother: Friggin wow. I'm very impressed with this fight (and the Altima fight but I haven't quite given that a perfect shot yet). Between Dycedarg and his Robe of Lords, Chaos Blade, Grand Helmet, Maintenance, and ABSURD movement and Adramelk the Destroyer of Worlds....this was hard, this was really, really hard. This was I needed 2 Chantages and 2 Ribbons to actually win hard. I tried this several times with attempting to use Adramelk's Night Sword against him, but that never did work. Neither did slowly wittling him down while keeping Dycedarg as an after-thought, since I could not afford to put Maintenance on everybody (and I'm using mostly extremely rare gear so having it broken.... :S). So eventually, which strategy actually worked surprised me, it relied on Caesar having Punch Arts and Sigma Magic to heal my entire team of all the nasty statuses caused by the starting Undeath (Slow was making Adramelk quadruple turn everyone except Caesar and Orlandu who have Excaliburs). I decided to muscle through 999 healing per turn, while keeping my super-killers (Caesar, Orlandu) and nigh-immortal rezzer (Chantage'd Meliadoul who pulls through with Speed Ruin once again) immune to Charm and Petrify. This was achieved through Ribbons, and a Grand Helmet on Orlandu. I slowly broke down Adramelk's speed with Carmine and Meliadoul, while Gaius took the brunt of Adramelk's attacks for awhile (for some reason, once hasted, he was priority #1 for Adramelk, and with 99 Hi-Ethers and MP Switch....you can imagine). During this time Caesar and Orlandu smashed through Dycedarg timing it just right so he would go down without going into Critical.  Once this was done I just had to break Adramelk down to a speed where Scream'd up Caesar could double-turn him, then it was just the very slow process of beating him down 1k HP at a time. He really suffers here since he can't kill more then one person at a time, and Caesar has a Chantage so he will ALWAYS have the chance to hit him for around 2400 damage (I was very lucky with not missing any 60% swings, except one, which was compensated for by Orlandu HE'ing him). This fight I would wager to say is down-right, impossible, without Ribbons and Chantages. You need those insta-rezs. Also...I'm down to, 5 elixirs..from...30+ when I first reached End. All in all this fight was probably easier then Eldibis, in that it required far less time/luck, but significantly more attempts to figure out the AIs behavior. Now to figure out a strategy for 'LOLOLOL REANIMATE'....I mean..Altima.

Tiny Ko Army: This fight, is stupid, on so many levels. It's not difficult in any sense of the word, but requires such an immensely specific set-up, that can take quite a bit of time to set-up, that it just isn't any fun. I mean 11 or something, non-charge, meteor-slinging Time Mages with infinite revive...it only leaves one option, in the form of Math Skill, nothing else is even remotely possible in this fight. It also requires for your people to have the exact amount of Faith to not kill the next person in the chain. To explain what I just said. All the Time Mages have exactly 12 Speed, meaning as long as your Math-skiller has 13 speed, you will win, as long as your zodiacs are decent, and you don't miss many (if not ANY in my case) spells, as well as not getting more then 2-4 damage splits. Basically what I did was bump up Meliadoul's, Gaius', and Clouds Faith to 70+ (Cloud simply because he was high-level and had Calc unlocked, I didn't want to waste more time then necessary). Then turned Meliadoul, Gaius, and Lilith (my ex-Medipriest who has been benched ever since I turned Meli into a staple member of my team) into Mimes. Caesar (Ramza) went in as his regular self, but sporting the Paladin Shield to make sure one person survives the onslaught of Fire/Ice/Thunder, granted Orlandu may have been a better choice, if you get a bad comp with one of the nearby Ko's (Caesar set-up isn't prepared for this since his Physical attack will kill Cloud and a Mime while Orlandu's swordskills aren't Mimed). Set-up was such that casting Preach on a back-row Mime had everyone except Meli (she was last to Mime and was left at 1 HP after Gaius' mimes on previous attempts) then had Cloud cast Bolt/Fire/Ice, and sat back and watched. Eventually (10-20 resets) after, I finally killed each Ko by Meliadoul's mime. It is definitely possible to do this fight with either 5 Math-Skill+Equip Shield 13 speeders, or possibly Summon magic+Teleport+Non-Charge on fast classes. Just in general, forcing high Faith set-ups, while nigh forcing low faith set-ups before...is asinine in my opinion. A very luck based fight, but not too difficult.

End of the End: The Annihilating, All-powerful Altima..times two. Uh-oh. While writing this paragraph I have yet to beat them, and the 1 damage+zodiac+reanimation+grand cross..makes her a very overwhelming enemy (the one that starts way up top and goes first that is, the other one is less of a problem considering my immense amounts of physical damage). My thoughts and experiences so far, show that my only way of winning is take down as many of the demons as possible first off, while having Gaius focus on sniping the 1-damage Altima (he seems to do decent damage, leading me to believe she only takes significant damage from spells, and with my low-as-hell Faith team, he is the only one with the arsenal to take her down, being a gunner with 80 Faith and a Blast Gun). I haven't yet figured out Ajora's role, but between Mbarrier, Ultima, and a ??? status, I can only assume s/he is mainly an annoyance role. Judging from the Reanimate HP s/he receives, I'd assume s/he doesn't have much more then 500 HP (I hope). Now to just find out if the demons can in fact, turn into crystals, if they are in fact Immortal, then my current strategy is boned. Oh yeah, Caesar is going in with Punch Arts to Stigma Magic away the Grand Cross asap. And yeah, I'm reseting until I get a Grand Cross or Mbarrier (Demon). Return2 is probably my greatest threat, but no way am I decreasing my Brave just to deal with this. Chantage+Ribbon combo on Caesar/Meli is a given, and I'm thinking Genji for armor (Ragnarock+Venetian Shield on Meli, and Chaos Blade+Excalibur on Caesar). I think a Dracula+Thief Hat+Power Sleeve on Orlandu and Twist+Power Sleeve+Vanish Mantle on Carmine along with Martial Arts to maximize damage once I'm sure neither Altima is vulnerable to posion. May try using Meli with Dance to inflict mass chaos in enemy ranks (seriously, those demons are as big of a threat as Ajora and the Altima Twins).

YES! FINALLY! Okay, wow, when I finally figured out what to do...I got it on my first shot, after about 50-60 resets trying stuff that didn't work. Granted, I had to use the cheapest tricks in the book (Math Skill, Draw Out buffs to force Despair2, Martial Arts Ninja). What finally worked, was using Math Skill to zombify all the demons, there really is no other option, it is impossible to deal with several thousand damage+status effects+enemies buffed coming at you every turn. Then I had Meliadoul Regen+Haste everyone with Masamune, Protect+Shell was next. While Orlandu (who has teleport, also, incredibly cheap) and a 7-move Caesar rushed forward to take out as many demons as quickly as possible while depleting the Altimas MP slowly. I did have a few nasty Grand Crosses (one of them hit Orlandu with almost every single status effect) thankfully Caesar was nearby to administer a quick Heal. I was rather lucky that only one of the demons revived, right at the very end, by when I had Ajora hemmed into a corner and both Altimas dead. It was quite funny to get a Reanimate as an Altimas first turn, that resolved right after a mass plague of zombification afflicted on his/her ENTIRE support, essentially taking off 50% of each of their HP, leaving them at OHKO status for Meli (who had equipped a Chirijiaden, she was after all in Samurai class for this fight), Orlandu, Caesar, or Carmine. Gaius mostly just hung out back slinging Dispel Magics and various buffs at my team after Dispelling friggin everything (CT4/5 is just so damn powerful). And that's pretty much how it went, granted it took ages to smash through that MP.

The fight is seemingly made to be nigh impossible, the Altimas have simple too much back-up in the form of the four Ultima Demons, and Ajora is one of the greatest pain in the asses I have ever faced. Without massive zombification this would have been impossible. It also requires an astounding amount of movement from your team to deal with the Altimas teleporting to hell and back constantly, and of course, a LOT of rez capable people (I went in with 4, but 5 is probably best if you can squeeze in mass status removal as well, well actually I had 5, but with Caesar's nuked faith he isn't much of a Wisher). As well as nuff said, crap loads of damage, along with a good deal of innate buffs. With their support, this is the hardest fight I have faced yet. Without it? Probably around Eldibis level hard, though the preparation takes ages, unless you have been using a good deal of Math Skill up to this point, seriously, grinding out two calcs for just two fight, I must be insane.

Closing thoughts on Deep Dungeon: Well, it's been...interesting. I did the 4 END fights after only encountering Algus and Izlude, so my perception of the others may be quite skewed. But all in all, it's definitely very very improved, and not quite as pants-shittingly stupid hard as in FFT v1.3, it keeps a decent level of difficulty up until you hit the End fights. The Wundertwins were far, far below the level of difficulty I was expecting (in fact, I think the Zodiac fight would be better suited here, and Wundertwins in Horror). But Elder Brother, Twin Altima, and Eldibis were a very nice follow-up to the hell of Nelveska. Tiny Ko, was just, stupid. The Tank Goblins on Nogias were also a bit too much, they weren't difficult but so time consuming you were bored by the time you had one down, much less the others. The other rare fights were quite enjoyable, and required a good bit of setting up but weren't all that bad. Reanimate as an ability is in my opinion, way overdone. It's only real counter in all the places encountered, is to use CT4-5 Zombie. Which completely removes it from the playing field, nullifying that aspect of the fight. Raise3 would probably be a better alternative (it doesn't FORCE you to use MS Zombie, and having the chance of say those Ultima Demons reraising from Undead is quite scary). I didn't bother with Rudvich, Barinten, and Zalmo since I was quite sick of DD in general and those fights don't seem to offer anything new after the others. Overall, a fine job. I'll be tackling the Bervenia Volcano super-fight next, and maybe Richard's Revenge, but yet another Reanimate fight is so bland.

-Bervenia Volcano Super-Fight-
First off, this fight is in fact. Horribly designed. In some vainglorious attempt to be hard, it has become almost comical. The MS Zombie trick to avoid Reanimate doesn't work here for 2 reasons, everything moves too god damn fast for me to wait till Gaius moves to cast it (he's my slowest character at 12 speed) and because the damn Mimes are Zombie immune. You are left with simply hoping Cyril never casts it. Or at least doesn't cast it till the Behemoths crystal/boxilize. Which is already not very fun. Irius the Juno Knight isn't a big problem either, he seems to have some kink in his system where he really, really likes using Negation even if it's your innate buffs (Excalibur's haste f.e). Otherwise, you just break through his mana and corner him later on. Not to mention, breakable equipment...is always a bad idea on a boss (so is making the hardest fight in the game built to house extra Chiri/Blood Lance/Paladin Shields).

My strategy on my winning run (yeah, this took quite a few resets) was to take out the Dark Behemoth and one of the nearby Behemoths asap. Then the King and other Behemoth and then work on the mimes, followed by Cyril and Irius. I did get one Reanimate right at the start after I killed the Dark Behemoth, but it wasn't a catastrophe. I did MS Zombie the Behemoths with Gaius just to make sure, then proceeded to slowly rip the mimes a new one having Meli and Caesar act as sacrificial victims when needed. Cyril was quite helpful all-in-all, taking down the King Behemoth and 2 of the mimes for me (as well as not using Oblivion's Edge or Reanimate, seriously, who thought a 999 damage unavoidable attack on all enemies was a good idea?). Once all the mimes were dead, I killed Cyril to keep him at OHKO range. Stole Irius' stuff, killed him as soon as Cyril revived. Stole the Lance, and killed him.

Fight took 10+ attempts, but could have gone into the hundreds without luck. Which is kind of why I so heavily dislike it. It's all on luck. If Cyril uses Oblivion's Edge, reset. If he Reanimates the whole field, reset. And with his rather small ability pool, this happens often. Zodiac isn't much of an issue in this fight for me (low Faith) unless it is mass mimed (happened once, seriously, 5 Zodiacs on 3 people was brutal). Overall, it's overdone, too many strong abilities/items/units in one fight makes it seem like you were trying far too hard. And that is exactly what Bervenia comes off as. Changing some of the units (preferably the Behemoths, they just seem out of place) to Status Inflicting units (Byblos units from the Eldibis fight come to mind). Or the mimes to units that I don't know, are interesting (4 Divine Knights maybe?) and removing Reanimate+Oblivions Edge from the fight would go a long way to making it a more fitting conclusion to the after-game. Granted, by this time you have every ability and item you could possibly want, which is kind of why Maintenance on Irius would make more sense (Chirijiaden+Paladin Shield combo is devastating). But oh well.

Overall Thoughts on the Aftergame
It goes without saying that compared to original FFT, this is a huge improvement. The progression of difficulty could use some tweaking in the Colliery, the second fight in the series is probably the hardest as long as you protect from Galaxy Stop in the last. Otherwise, it goes quite well. Nelveska is harder then Colliery, END fights are harder then Nelveska, and Bervenia is pretty much impossible without luck. The special fights in the DD (at least the ones I did do) are rather fluctuating in difficulty and could perhaps use some tweaking. Larg/Goltana and Zodiacs are the only ones I could really call hard, and even they are pretty easy to beat once you realize what gimmick makes them hard (Galaxy Stop and Status Effects/Magic Damage respectively). In this sense, they are easier then Nelveska, which was probably the most intensive in preparation (aside from Altimas) and probably my second favorite fight (Eldibis being first). It made me deal with several dangerous factors while having a quasi-time limit, and then be thrown against monstrous Hydras if I wanted the items. It also had the proper balance of possible resets for me (coming from SSCCs granted). And for that had some of the best items in the game. Of course, I barely used the Blood Lance, but the Paladin Shield was worn by Orlandu for almost the entirety of DD/Bervenia.

The largest hinge in difficulty progression is definitely the Wundertwins fight. I cannot see anything difficult about it (They use elements, elements can be minimized in power to nothing even in a low Faith team as mine, which should be punished by this fight). While offering the most powerful accessory in FFT and the easiest fight to Move-Find the 3 uber-powerful items in END. Oh yeah, and they are all vulnerable to Negotiate. Speaking of which, Talk Skill is probably one of the most powerful skill sets now. Purely because of Negotiate. The other skills (when facing humans) only turn it into an absolutely marvelous skill set. Why is Negotiate so strong? It isn't effected by the Monster Talk rule. And a huge amount of enemies aren't immune to stop, in fact, very few are. Between Negotiate and Speed Break, you can have control over a fight very easily. Which brings me to the other overpowered ability, Speed Break. Speed Break is too damn strong, way way too damn strong. If it was balanced around 1-handed breaks, I can understand, but add two-swords....and it becomes overpowered. 2x two swords speed breakers can transform the entire field into a field of statues easily.

The only truly glaring problem in the after-game is the overabundance of powerful items. Mainly in the Colliery. The relative ease of obtaining these items (again, relative) somewhat trivializes a lot of the Special Fights in DD which at most offer you additional copies of the items. Which again, can be found by Move-Finding in the DD. Thief Hat's are also still by far and large, the most useful headgear. The only 4 head pieces I used in the entire after-game were Ribbons, Grand Helmets (for extra HP mostly), Thief Hats, and a Twist Headband on Carmine for the ludicrous punch damage. The vast majority of the times, I went with Thief Hats. A similar story with accesories though less drastic. Chantages dominate on Females/Caesar, there is rarely a reason to use ANYTHING else. Since with at least decent growth (and the availability of ribbons) you never need to use a status protection/+PA piece. They also are not that hard to obtain with Tiamat Breeding (I had one when I walked into DD). Making them available during the Eldibis fight (which is very, very hard to steal during) I think would somewhat lessen the severity of their power, considering you can technically make a 4 female+Caesar team, and you can get 5 Chantages easily from Wundertwins...a permanently reviving team is just too much. The other useful accessories are Dracula Mantles (very, very nice and rare enough to not be too much of a problem), Vanish Mantle, and Bracers. Bracers are still the king of physical accessories even at 2 PA. Well aside from Salty Rage but in my predominantly male team they saw little use after Chantages appeared. Feather Mantles saw zero use later on since they no longer offered impregnable defence combined with Abandon (in fact I had either Sunken State or Blade Grasp on for physical fights). So generally, removing some of the equipment from Colliery would go a long way to solving this problem, rebalancing poaches a tiny bit would go even further. Though the new location for the Robe of Lords, is very nice :P

Finally, I think I'll touch a bit on skill sets, reactions, supports, and movement. More of a list of which are really, really good. Excluding stuff like all the special character sets (including Guts) since those are obviously good, in most situations (except Meliadoul but an AoE triple Speed Break is balls good).
Awesome Skill Sets:
Battle Skill
Talk Skill
Draw Out
Math Skill (If only for being the only workable strategy in 2 (3?) fights)
Throw (Slashers/Giant Axes)
Item (*Best*)
Summon (Didn't really use it at this point but I can see it's worth)
Punch Arts
Ying-Yang Magic (Confuse, Petrify are great)
Dance (Nameless is devastating if you have time before then enemy blitzes you)

Awesome Reactions:
Blade Grasp (*Best* in physical fights)
Counter Magic
HP Restore
Sunken State
Speed Save
Auto-Potion (*Best* in magic fights, even better with low Faith)
Abandon (It's still pretty good)

Awesome Supports:
Two Swords
Short Charge
Throw Item
Concentrate
Martial Arts
Magic AttackUP
DefenseUP

Awesome Movements:
Move+3
Move+2 (It's much easier to have on everyone then say Move+3)
Teleport
Move-Find Item (Just because of Chaos Blade/Robe of Lords)

And so ends my review of the after-game, and pretty much the whole mod. I'll make another list of what I liked and didn't like in general if anyone desires it, but I think I've covered pretty much everything. The list of useful After-game skills/reactions/supports is more-or-less the same as in any other part of the game. Movements, well, move+1 and +2 are your only real options, with +1 edging out for Spellcasters/Tanky-builds while Move+2 is king for Physical damage dealers. Oh yeah, I didn't mention Steal even though it was one of my most used skill sets, because honestly for it's purpose...nothing compares, but if Quick Attack and Steal Heart/Exp suddenly disappeared. I probably wouldn't notice. In closing, thanks for reading. Peace.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: October 14, 2010, 12:44:07 PM »
Apparently, this means Laggy should replace the Wundertwins fight with my 11 Dancers of Doom!

...and yes, I'm getting to making this work on my computer >_>  I will play it, I swear!

...assuming Laggy actually makes a FINAL FINAL FINAL version, instead of updating randomly >_>
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 01:04:54 PM by OblivionKnight »
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: October 14, 2010, 02:11:30 PM »
The Sleeping Samurai can be absolutely devastating if they are allowed to move. And the Stone Gunners aren't much better, Strago is just far too close to really be a worry. Basically, I had Caesar run all the way up to the Gunners and take each of them out before they had a turn thinking I'd rez them back up once I have the Samurai/Squire under control...only to find out...they don't have a timer haha!

Yep, everything possible is done to try and encourage stealing in the Coillery fights.  Didn't want them to turn into treasure chests (cheap way to get the items).  Didn't want them to be inviteable (cheap way to get the items).  So...they're not--stealing's the only way to get stuff from those fights.

Tiger: Not quite sure where to put this fight on the difficulty range. It's different from the Altimas in it's Renaimate that's for sure. Though Funeral has such a huge HP pool that truly blitzing him down isn't quite possible. Yet his support is generally so weak that it doesn't entirely matter if he reanimates them. The mimes are pretty slow, and their punches aren't exactly accurate. Combine this with them not miming dances/songs and they are at most a minor annoyance that can often be mass OHKO'd with Draw Out/Orlandu.

Yeah, up until recently Mimes mimed Dance/Sing.  This was changed for PC balance reasons: while we're all for including plenty of neat combos, we want to avoid "this is the obvious best strategy that most people use", and Dance/Sing comboed with Mime bordered on that, and was just a lot less fun and strategic than...anything else combined with Mime (all other classes made Mime positioning very important).

But as far as the Tiger fight goes?  Should probably change the fight somehow, yes.

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: October 14, 2010, 02:38:29 PM »
Yeah, up until recently Mimes mimed Dance/Sing.  This was changed for PC balance reasons: while we're all for including plenty of neat combos, we want to avoid "this is the obvious best strategy that most people use", and Dance/Sing comboed with Mime bordered on that, and was just a lot less fun and strategic than...anything else combined with Mime (all other classes made Mime positioning very important).

But as far as the Tiger fight goes?  Should probably change the fight somehow, yes.
Definitely agree on Mimes miming Dance/Sings being cheap to the max (Although as I did in the Tiny Ko fight, Calc miming is pretty hack as well). My personal recommendation if you decide to change that fight around, is two-fold. Add Calcs (seriously, mimed Math Skill is awesome) with high Faith/MA. Keep the Dancers, and move Funeral down a row or two. Give him maybe some kind of spell to keep him an audible threat (Flare? Confuse2?). I was kind of uh, curious why he had Blood Suck by the way, didn't really make sense to me. This would make the fight significantly harder in that a) You have upwards of 6 spells landing on you per turn, or enemies that are mass buffing and b) You have to break through the mimes on the way to Funeral and then keep them under control while stomping his face in. Again, this could be circumvented by CT5 Zombie but giving them Zombie protection accessories wouldn't be too far a stretch seeing as how the Reanimate isn't near as fierce in this fight as in Bervenia/Altimas.

Apparently, this means Laggy should replace the Wundertwins fight with my 11 Dancers of Doom!

...and yes, I'm getting to making this work on my computer >_>  I will play it, I swear!

...assuming Laggy actually makes a FINAL FINAL FINAL version, instead of updating randomly >_>
11 Dancers would have it's own problem unless you give them inordinate levels of HP, Dancers are only really really dangerous when placed far, far away from you so they can wreck havoc on you by the time you reach them. End as a level can be traversed pretty quickly, and the AI is somewhat stupid with moving it's Bards/Dancers towards you. If there was a way to change Dance to go off without a charge for them...that would be interesting. And probably kill any magic-heavy set-up but eh, most of the fights at this point I personally expect to force a certain set-up. *cough* Still would be better then Wundertwins *cough*  :-\

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: October 14, 2010, 05:12:32 PM »
(Although as I did in the Tiny Ko fight, Calc miming is pretty hack as well).

Mimed Calc is...good, but definitely not the only way to use calcs.  In particular, Mimes can't block status (so you can't, say, have all of your people blocking Confusion and spam that over and over).  Mimes can't absorb Fire/Ice or null Dark (so you can't hit the entire field and not hurt your own people).  Mimes will generally hit the same targets a second time, which doesn't stack that well when it comes to status (if you've already hit them with Math Skilled Slow, it does nothing to mime and hit the same target with Slow again).

Nor are calcs necessarily the best use of Mimes.  Would Mimes rather team up with an instant speed low damage move like Math Skill, or would they rather team up with Charge+20, Meteor, or whatever slow power ability where they can move into position at the last minute?

Don't get me wrong, the way Math Skill targeting works still makes it excellent with Mime, but at the moment it doesn't seem to be "this is THE way to use these two classes".  (Unlike pairing with Dance/Sing which doesn't call for status blocking or elemental absorption, and is a powerful charge ability that you always want to execute twice).

With Reflect Mail, Knights have little to fear. They go in, get zombied, block Petrify so that all they have to worry about is Charm and Don't Move. Adramelk literally cannot damage them beyond charmed actions, so if they're all sporting Ice Brand and Ice Shields they can't even hurt each other unless they break their weapons or shields (and even then, hitting Knight defenses.) Honestly probably one of the easiest ones to deal with.

If they're charmed, what exactly are they going to do other than use breaks?  Even if they don't break the shield or sword, they can break the Reflect Mail, which is a quick path to a fully healed Adramelk.  (And just in general, 3 move Knights thanks to using an accessory, boss that doubleturns them before slowing them causing constant quadruple turning, and who can hit them with Don't Move).  Oh and this assumes they can bait Zombie to start with (remember, they need to be standing next to Adramelk to even end the first round).

Chemists take zombie and shoot with spellguns, splitting up as necessary so only one of them is hit at a time.

Not super happy about "just get spellguns" (25% drops in a rare battle) but okay.  So...150 damage a pop.  Wait, he starts with Protect/Shell.  So...100 damage per pop.  Wait, no this is silly.  If we're going for the rare drops, get Equip Change Stone Gun.  So...256 damage per pop, reduced to 160 damage per pop.  Probably with enough range to shoot 4 times before his first turn, and have him so far away he uses Zombie, then shoot five more times (dead).  Yeah, okay.

Archers time like +20 charges at him beforehand, or use POISON BOW and poison him (he can be poisoned, AND he can be Don't Move'd from Gastrafitis as well.)

The Charge+20 plan is just barely possible CT-wise, and...Charge+20 Gastrifitis is still like...300 damage, 200 damage after Shell/Protect (and you only get four of those max, after which you can look forward to dealing 60-70 per shot until shell/protect wear off).  Don't Move means they're in no real danger, though (he can't Night Sword if he can't get in range).

Thieves have access to Chicken Knives and poaches in general, so ultimately I don't think they'd have an issue there.

So...they have ~300 damage physicals, reduced to ~200 by protect/shell, and then he drains himself to full?  Although sure: if you bait zombie, you win.  If you stall out protect/shell, you should win.

Lancers, like Archers, time their Jumps beforehand, and abuse PA Save in the fight previous.

So...like four 250 damage jumps, reduced to 180 for a grand total of 720, and then they never get another hit off ever (unless he just moved close to Night Sword someone)?

Dancers ... I don't know, Dancers are probably the one class I find questionable to clear an SCC with other than Mime and Truecalc. In theory some Last Dance ridiculousness could pull it off, buuuuut yeah. I'm not sure. I don't know if I care about Dancers, though. >_>

EDIT: oh, what dancers do is charm knights into the fight. I totally forgot that Nameless can do that now. Is this sane? No. Is it possible? Yes. Hell, it actually wouldn't be horrifying if you got one of the knights with Battle Song, since they all come loaded with Bard JLVs.

I don't see what charm actually achieves--you get Knights in the second fight, so that he can...easily drain to full?

That said, Dancers are actually totally fine now that I think about it.  Nameless Dance inflicts Don't Move and Poison.  That's all they need.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: October 14, 2010, 05:38:33 PM »
Assuming Lancers can hit at least 8 speed before Adramelk, they can all Jump and then also spearpoke. And I'm not sure if you missed it or not but they could theoretically PA Save to crazy levels (they do get Defense UP now, recall).

Knights have 4 move, not 3. (And 5 because they get Move+1) You can always go to Adramelk without Armor Break learned. I really doubt it is somehow an essential skill to the SCC (or, for that matter, Shield Break). Weapon Break may be a pain, but hardly much of a deal.

You don't have any issue baiting Undeath if you a) aren't blocking Undeath's big status (Undead, Slow) and b) haven't hurt him much. Knights are free to stand right next to Dycedarg before the fight starts and wail on Addy with breaks beforehand to boot.

Seriously, Knights are not a class that has a problem here.

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: October 14, 2010, 06:57:01 PM »
Mimed Calc is...good, but definitely not the only way to use calcs.  In particular, Mimes can't block status (so you can't, say, have all of your people blocking Confusion and spam that over and over).  Mimes can't absorb Fire/Ice or null Dark (so you can't hit the entire field and not hurt your own people).  Mimes will generally hit the same targets a second time, which doesn't stack that well when it comes to status (if you've already hit them with Math Skilled Slow, it does nothing to mime and hit the same target with Slow again).

Nor are calcs necessarily the best use of Mimes.  Would Mimes rather team up with an instant speed low damage move like Math Skill, or would they rather team up with Charge+20, Meteor, or whatever slow power ability where they can move into position at the last minute?

Don't get me wrong, the way Math Skill targeting works still makes it excellent with Mime, but at the moment it doesn't seem to be "this is THE way to use these two classes".  (Unlike pairing with Dance/Sing which doesn't call for status blocking or elemental absorption, and is a powerful charge ability that you always want to execute twice).
I agree with this entirely. However, the only time massed mimes are really useful (when paired with Calc skill) is to remove a lot of units in one turn, which makes slow charging-high damage abilities fall out of favor, the lack of need to move pretty slow units (Mimes suffer from lack of equipment badly in the late game) makes it even better. Also, from the changelog didn't Confusion get taken off the Math Skill usable list (this is pretty understandable, confusion/petrify/foxbird really should not be mass used they are just too powerful)? Not much to add on the Adramelk discussion however, for Thieves Steal Heart hijinks on a knight with Cheer Song/Battle Song, steal Dycedargs sword. Drag out the fight. Smash Adramelk into tiny pieces. Judo Outfit or something protecting from Dead would be advisable since Dyce really likes to use Crush Punch, though I suppose keeping one healthy but unthreatening lacky knight around would work just as well. Not too sure though, I don't like the idea of relying solely on Undeath what with the Raise3 and all. It's a lot like the Loss strategy used in SSCCs, except less full proof at high HP levels.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: October 14, 2010, 07:59:41 PM »
Assuming Lancers can hit at least 8 speed before Adramelk, they can all Jump and then also spearpoke.

8 speed means 12-13 clockticks per turn.  Jump lands 6 clockticks in, and then hypothetically they get a turn 6 or 7 clockticks later, which could come before 'Melk's first turn on clocktick 7.  Okay, that sounds hypothetically possible.

And I'm not sure if you missed it or not but they could theoretically PA Save to crazy levels (they do get Defense UP now, recall).

I forgot about defence up (I wasn't really seeing how this class with no healing and high self-damage was supposed to abuse PA-Save).  Yeah, that has potential.

Knights have 4 move, not 3. (And 5 because they get Move+1)

Oh, duh, right.

You can always go to Adramelk without Armor Break learned. I really doubt it is somehow an essential skill to the SCC (or, for that matter, Shield Break). Weapon Break may be a pain, but hardly much of a deal.

Hm, yeah, you can honestly probably skip all of those.  They're not really used in the vanilla SCC.  Kinda weird that you need to plan your entire learn list around one Zodiac, but ok.

You don't have any issue baiting Undeath if you a) aren't blocking Undeath's big status (Undead, Slow) and b) haven't hurt him much.

For Knight with no equip breaks specifically, sure.  For anyone else, not blocking slow sounds pretty brutal.  It allows him to triple turn (which is enough time to apply Zombie, Raise 3, and Night Sword an unzombied person).

Knights are free to stand right next to Dycedarg before the fight starts and wail on Addy with breaks beforehand to boot.

Which does....what, exactly?  What are you going to do to him?  Quadruple Speed Break, lowering him from 15 speed to 13 speed?  Or maybe you'd like to lower his...was it 99 PA down to a terribly crippled 87 PA?

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: October 14, 2010, 08:42:40 PM »
Even minor speed busting is better than nothing. Since it isn't damaging Adramelk, he'll still opt to Undeath first. If you're worried about charm antics stalling the fight to the point of losing, then Knights can opt for the slow but sure method of breaking him down to 1 speed even through his base 30 speed, just because it gets easier the farther along you are.

It's still a lot of prep and yes, it's weird to base your strategy around one fight, but the requirements aren't that asinine and once suitably prepared, I can't see how Knight has much issue. Which, again - SCCs are meant to be possible, but not necessarily meant to be strictly catered to. The fact that Knight just nulls all of his offensive strategies outside of self-damage from charm gives them a huge advantage that most other classes don't get (AND they can heal through zombie, to boot!)

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: October 14, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
So just for the sake of pondering this more:

Squire: Accumulate+Yell
Chemist: Stone Guns
Knight: As discussed
Archer: Don't Move (Gastrafitis)
Monk: Tricky, but has Earth Slash (can damage far away while still drawing Undeath), can heal while undead, and if all else fails can Secret Fist their own units through Judo Outfit to dodge Adramelk's Night Sword (AND, ironically, can self-heal the Don't Move through Stigma Magic. That's actually really funny)
Priest: Can stall out Protect/Shell for Holy spam. Actually, with Chameleon Robes and Reflect Rings there's not a lot Adramelk can do. Also, Regen and Move HP Up work despite being undead.
Wizard: Nuke
Time Mage: Demi2
Summoner: Nuke
Thief: Nuke
Mediator: Spellguns, or if all else fails, Persuade hax.
Oracle: Life Drain
Geomancer: Uhhh... don't know. Probably can slug it out offhand? NEB would probably have a better idea. Again, Chameleon Robe + Reflect Ring handles the worst of what Adramelk can toss out.
Lancer: PA Save + timed Jumps. Bring one in with a crappy spear if necessary.
Samurai: Can slug it out and kill their own units with friendly-fire DOs if it comes to that to prevent Adramelk from healing.
Ninja: Throw Shurikens, receive Speed Save. Sunken State could probably make the process easier. Or of course they could just kill him in all likelihood, even without poach options they probably outclass Thieves in that.
Bard: Battle Song+Cheer Song
Dancer: Nameless Dance

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: October 14, 2010, 09:22:36 PM »
Even minor speed busting is better than nothing. Since it isn't damaging Adramelk, he'll still opt to Undeath first. If you're worried about charm antics stalling the fight to the point of losing, then Knights can opt for the slow but sure method of breaking him down to 1 speed even through his base 30 speed, just because it gets easier the farther along you are.

It's still a lot of prep and yes, it's weird to base your strategy around one fight, but the requirements aren't that asinine and once suitably prepared, I can't see how Knight has much issue. Which, again - SCCs are meant to be possible, but not necessarily meant to be strictly catered to. The fact that Knight just nulls all of his offensive strategies outside of self-damage from charm gives them a huge advantage that most other classes don't get (AND they can heal through zombie, to boot!)

Well yes, not overall worried about Knights if we're fine with the "you'll just have to know in advance not to get any breaks" plan.  Just pointing out that you can't base an Adramelk plan around stat breaks--he's kinda designed to laugh at that strategy.  (I suppose quadruple speed break is marginally better than waiting on spot if you're expecting Adramelk to get 6 or more turns during the fight).

Again, Chameleon Robe + Reflect Ring handles the worst of what Adramelk can toss out.

Umm...what do Chameleon Robes block, exactly?  (Is it still cancel: dead?  Doesn't Addy have petrify?)

Monk: Tricky, but has Earth Slash (can damage far away while still drawing Undeath), can heal while undead, and if all else fails can Secret Fist their own units through Judo Outfit to dodge Adramelk's Night Sword (AND, ironically, can self-heal the Don't Move through Stigma Magic. That's actually really funny)

Yeah, Secret Fist means Monks should be fine (my one concern is that Addy might still Night Sword a dying target if he wants healing that badly).  Monks can also use Secret Fist on Adramelk to Don't Move him.  Oh, and fun fact: according to the BMG, Undead cancels Death Sentence!

Samurai: Can slug it out and kill their own units with friendly-fire DOs if it comes to that to prevent Adramelk from healing.

Somewhat worried about them regardless.  From FFT experience, they don't like the Dycedarg half of the fight at all (no vertical tolerance).  They probably will be working off of 3 movement as they'll want to block status.  I really don't think they can just blitz, although I haven't run any calculations to check.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:25:39 PM by metroid composite »