Author Topic: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017 Round 6  (Read 1044 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017 Round 6
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 11:10:47 PM »
Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Shovel Knight- Strike the Earth! Plans of Passage
Chrono Trigger- Battle with Magus vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version) - Hard match to vote on. But the sound quality of The Battlefield Flower finally cut it.
Bravely Default- Wicked Flight vs Undertale- Megalovania - Hard match to vote on part 2. But then I remembered the I like the insults from the fairy more than the skeleton.
NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate vs Xenogears- Small Two of Pieces

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 04:38:08 AM »
Bravely Default- Wicked Flight vs Undertale- Megalovania: Excellent match. I really like what all the instruments do in Wicked Flight though, they manage to create a piece which is simultaneously mystical (you're fighting a fairy rather than some monster) and a an all-around exciting track. Megalovania's great too though.
NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate vs Xenogears- Small Two of Pieces: Watching Small Two of Pieces get huge hype in this tournament has been a bit of a head-scratcher. I mean it's... decent enough? Certainly the best of the PSX RPG pop vocals, though that's damning with faint praise. But I wouldn't put it in the upper echelon of Xenogears music, which means it's completely out of its depth against the upper echelon of Nier music.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 04:44:14 AM »
Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Shovel Knight- Strike the Earth! Plans of Passage - Mmmm...nostalgia-ish mood?
Chrono Trigger- Battle with Magus vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version) - Violins > Organ
Bravely Default- Wicked Flight vs Undertale- Megalovania - Both good, but skeleton FTW
NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate vs Xenogears- Small Two of Pieces - Very easy.  Song of the Ancients is good, better the more I listen to it, but...no.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 05:47:30 AM »
Chrono Trigger- Battle with Magus vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version) - Echoing NEB's head-scratching, but for me it's the CT OST. BwM is a decent song! But I don't quite have the same sentimental attachment to the CT OST and I'm sort of at a loss to explain its success. Let alone how Singing Mountain got so far...

NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate vs Xenogears- Small Two of Pieces - To answer NEB's question... mostly lucky draws, to me. Battle For Everyone's Souls it's toughest opponent, but I'm a fan of schmaltz so whatevs. The Drakengard 3 final song also, but... I dunno. They just found a vocalist able to nail the song. Fate ends this run pretty hard. If this were the music box version now... much tougher decision there
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 05:51:05 AM by Hunter Sopko »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 06:49:17 AM »
NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate vs Xenogears- Small Two of Pieces: Watching Small Two of Pieces get huge hype in this tournament has been a bit of a head-scratcher. I mean it's... decent enough? Certainly the best of the PSX RPG pop vocals, though that's damning with faint praise. But I wouldn't put it in the upper echelon of Xenogears music, which means it's completely out of its depth against the upper echelon of Nier music.

I'd put Small Two of Pieces in the higher echelon of XG music myself.
But it is more about its synchronicity to the game itself rather than because of its musical merit. And when it comes to game music, I put more weight into whether the music is successfully in delivering the emotion and the message of the game than just the musical sound.

By the same token, I hail that In the Cage of Regret and Peace is the epitome of the XG music.
Also the same reason why I am very disappointed in the two arrangements of it that Mitsuda did later on.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 02:35:40 PM »
oh right this exists i should probably unlazy

Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Shovel Knight- Strike the Earth! Plans of Passage
Chrono Trigger- Battle with Magus vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version) - echoing soppy here
Bravely Default- Wicked Flight vs Undertale- Megalovania
NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate vs Xenogears- Small Two of Pieces - stomp

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 03:00:57 AM »

Granblue Fantasy- New World Order vs Shovel Knight- Strike the Earth! Plans of Passage  Mood I guess.  Also respect for something good enough to beat out Megaman 2: Wily 1
Chrono Trigger- Battle with Magus vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version)  Feel inclined to give it to the new challenger.  Magus is iconic though i suspect it rides on familiarity.
Bravely Default- Wicked Flight vs Undertale- Megalovania  I've already been story spoiled about getting to fight not-Navi.
NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate vs Xenogears- Small Two of Pieces  There's a sacred quality to this piece though I suspect I'm the only one to whom that matters.  I wouldn't say it had easy draws either, both Babu Yetu and Evolution Era make for close choices.  Anyhow. this is a high quality example of game vocal piece while I'm mostly ambivalent about Nier tracks so easy choice for me.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 10:05:02 AM »

Chrono Trigger- Battle with Magus vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version)

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 12:48:26 AM »
Chrono Trigger- Battle with Magus vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 06:07:39 PM »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Technetium43

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 01:34:02 AM »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 05:20:47 AM »
These 2 feel like the weakest to get this far...  ah well, weird that if I'd bothered to vote, WKC2 would have lost a tiebreaker much earlier.

Cool as Wicked Flight is especially right before the loop, I think it'd need to be That Person's Name Is here to win.
Eh, I really like Small Two of Pieces, re NEB.  Something had to make it out of the death brackets.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:24:10 AM by SnowFire »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 10:33:58 PM »
Granblue Fantasy- New World Order- ii vs Shovel Knight- Strike the Earth! Plans of Passage - iiiii
Chrono Trigger- Battle with Magus- i vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version)- iiiiiiii
Bravely Default- Wicked Flight- iiiiii vs Undertale- Megalovania- iiii
NieR- Song of the Ancients ~ Fate- iiiiiiii vs Xenogears- Small Two of Pieces- iii
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.