Register

Author Topic: Futurama 2017 Week 4  (Read 1315 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Futurama 2017 Week 4
« on: December 24, 2017, 09:54:33 PM »
Godlike

Xorn (Grandia III) vs Benjamin (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest)
T260G (SaGa Frontier) vs Ced (Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War)

Heavy

Camilla (Fire Emblem: Fates) vs Hugo (Suikoden III)
Makoto Niijima (Persona 5) vs Solo (Dragon Quest IV)

Middle

Haru Okumura (Persona 5) vs Kevin Graham (The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky The 3rd)
Seena (Lufia: The Legend Returns) vs Norn (Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana)

Light

Seneca (Suikoden Tactics) vs Lyonesse (Brigandine)
Mint Adenade (Tales of Phantasia) vs Flonne (Disgaea: Hour of Darkness)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Futurama 2017 Week 4
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 10:05:36 PM »
Godlike

T260G (SaGa Frontier) vs Ced (Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War) - oh wow does smashcan seriously lack ITE?  that seems problematic.  e: yeah I don't think Magnify is enough even assuming it is ITE, good luck dealing otherwise.

Heavy

Camilla (Fire Emblem: Fates) vs Hugo (Suikoden III) - kneejerk
Makoto Niijima (Persona 5) vs Solo (Dragon Quest IV) - sure i guess

Middle

Haru Okumura (Persona 5) vs Kevin Graham (The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky The 3rd) - kneejerk that he's less fractionally below average speed 1st turn.

Light

Mint Adenade (Tales of Phantasia) vs Flonne (Disgaea: Hour of Darkness) - kneejerk for superior resource depth
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 01:18:47 AM by Random Consonant »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 10:44:55 PM »

Heavy

Evade and healing...  for all that maybe you antihype the evade because Hugo will be spellcasting a lot which I think may have turned off evade in S3?  He certainly never wants to use his physical here, just wait for dodges then unload doom.  Also status hype.  Probably Hugo, but could be convinced.
Fendspell seems really good here, so Makoto really hopes she can KOO with Shock Gun -> Atomic Flare, which I dunno about.  Otherwise, if Fendspell lands...  Sabziaos crit game?  Brainwash gloves?  She does still have a metric on of healing, but stat topic claims Dispel costs 0 MP, so Raku isn't a plan here.
EDIT: Wins resource war.  I don't think status options for either side are either legal or decisive.

Middle

Haru Okumura (Persona 5) vs Kevin Graham (The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky The 3rd)
No vote since no 3rd, but for SC...
Hmm, what does Fast Heal do against statuses that last forever?  Not that it matters if Haru is forced to keep to her list closely.
Might not matter if a Confuse-blocker is allowed.  I normally wouldn't but might make an exception for vs. the commonly immuned by endgame SC Confuse.  Mute doesn't do enough with Haru's gun backup.  So Haru might win out vs. SC Kevin.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:19:08 PM by SnowFire »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 11:54:53 PM »
  for all that maybe you antihype the evade because Hugo will be spellcasting a lot which I think may have turned off evade in S3?

Nope. Sometimes a spell may be cancelled if you're hit while casting, but, as far as I can tell, casting in S3 does not disable evasion shenanigans.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 02:35:09 AM »
Magnify might be ITE. It's listed as ITE, but the attacks it calls (DestructionBeam is the one the stat topic uses) is not, and I'm not sure how this ends up working in practice. I can confirm that nothing else T2 has is ITE though.

Heavy

Camilla (Fire Emblem: Fates) vs Hugo (Suikoden III): As Snow says, S3 evade still works just fine while spellcasting; I've witnessed it plenty myself (any Yuber fight or final Sarah provide some memorable examples plus any you see from the PC end). Parrying may not work, don't quote me on that though. I don't think it matters, since I don't think Cam can handle Wind of Sleep, which ensures Hugo never needs to take a hit while spellcasting anyway. WoS -> fire magic if it lands -> heal if WoS misses and Camilla hits -> repeat.

Light

Seneca (Suikoden Tactics) vs Lyonesse (Brigandine): 2HKOs first, surely, unless I'm grossly underrating Lyonesse pdur.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 09:43:51 PM »
Xorn (Grandia III) vs Benjamin (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest) - lol
T260G (SaGa Frontier) vs Ced (Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War) - Uh. Yeah, Ced survives a shot of Magnify and FE4's crits are actually good at dealing with trashcan's DEF over HP build.

Makoto Niijima (Persona 5) vs Solo (Dragon Quest IV) - Uh. Fendspell indeed dismantles Makoto's offense, so this becomes a pure resource war. Sword of Lethargy gets met by sleep immunity, at least (I think it's -Brey- who has Confuse, Snowfire). Makoto could attempt -some- statusing games, but I don't think they'll go far with the short duration on them and the bullet limitations... and frankly, Solo doesn't want to run Thordain, that gets him outlasted fairly quickly. But I think he deals more damage over time with his physicals than Makoto does. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... VAJRA. Yes. She FISHES FOR DESPAIR ON VAJRA FOR ALL ETERNITY. And that I'm pretty sure she can do, she's still considerably faster than Solo and can stall him out for AGES. Solofia's basic physical -does- heal-lock Raku-less Mako, but she can just use Diarama against that and Solofia eats 4-3s against -average- speed. I think she can make it out eventually, I think.

Seneca (Suikoden Tactics) vs Lyonesse (Brigandine) - 2HKOs first, surely.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 11:42:52 PM »
Sword of lethargy ignores immunity, it works on everything in game.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 12:18:16 AM »
Sword of lethargy ignores immunity, it works on everything in game.

Hmmm. It does make things a bit more complicated... problem is that DQ4 sleep sucks. OF COURSE, in a long match, a sleep that lasts two of Solo's turns will win it for him. But it also costs him the heal-lock, which is a serious problem. I'm still on the fence about giving SoL that much credit, but it's something to consider.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 04:36:54 AM »

This is a moment where I wish I had played Tales of Phantasia just to vote on this extended slapfight.  Neither does much damage to the other; surely the one who can heal herself will win this.  Right?

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 08:27:56 AM »
Godlike

Middle

Seena (Lufia: The Legend Returns) vs Norn (Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana)- Cute match. So, if Norn goes for Sleep turn 1, Seena is faster than the spell activation and puts up Mirror, which does have gaps that Norn could be able to manipulate with her faster speed. Seena also has Dark damage, which Norn's buff game doesn't get. Alternately, Seena has MP killing (if that was a valid strategy in Lufia 3 to stop enemy spellcasting)

Light

Seneca (Suikoden Tactics) vs Lyonesse (Brigandine)- Charm should do it here
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 10:00:36 PM »
Brigandine charm just makes the target attack other random targets, and doesn't have a very long duration. I'm pretty sure it does not allow self-targeting. It seems useless here. My memory might be playing tricks on me though (it has been a decade), and the stat topic says nothing on the subject, so do you have any other tests to suggest the status is better than I think?

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 02:15:25 AM »
It isn't great (duration is 3 turns, I think), but I don't think an enemy will hit you under Charm (meaning that Seneca would just stand there doing nothing). I don't think that taking damage cancelled charm (which would make sense given that it would make Charm really bad in game at times since any counter would cancel the status), although even if it did, it might still buy Lyonesse time to heal up and get in the first hit of her 2HKO.
...into the nightfall.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 02:29:03 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Seena (Lufia: The Legend Returns) vs Norn (Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana): Mirror and dark damage.

Light

Seneca (Suikoden Tactics) vs Lyonesse (Brigandine): Depends on lyoness' charm?
Mint Adenade (Tales of Phantasia) vs Flonne (Disgaea: Hour of Darkness): different class of Lights.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 04:42:07 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Seena (Lufia: The Legend Returns) vs Norn (Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana)

Light

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 09:18:17 PM »
I'm sold on Hugo > Camilla.

Not really on board for Vajra hype (at L76, it just barely falls over the arbitrary L75 threshold for valid itemization IMO, which I am inclined to enforce more strictly on "status" weapons), and...  hmm.  I meant Makoto's Brainwash off Prophet's Hand, Jo'ou, but that so terribly tanks her offense that it's not worth it.  OTOH, no Sword of Lethargy hype for Solo (classic DQ games are unusually terrible about backup weapons...  strict inventory limits, plot/quest items take a slot, itemcast stuff, others can equip SoL, etc.) 

Anyway, Makoto does force healing at a very early threshold thanks to the risk of crit -> Shock gun -> technical physical, and Solo also needs to heal before doubles. 
Solo has 25 shots of healing + 1x Fendspell.  OTOH, it looks like Solo BARELY heal-locks with his physical.  He wouldn't against JotD Makoto, but she kinda wants the Shock gun even if JotD is allowed, so hmm.  (She can maybe get some extra turns off low damage variance rolls, considering how exact the 2HKO is.)  Makoto has 15 shots of healing.

I don't think that Makoto has a winning strat here, unless you see her constantly doubling.  Her damage is just too weak, even with the occasional non-heal locked turn from low variance.  So going with Solo.  (She needs both JotD AND Shock Gun equipped at the same time, or something.)

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 01:29:26 AM »
Need to take a minute to pull all the votes out, but for QUEEN vs. Solofia...

If you allow EXAs, Queen should maul - 74% average speed for Solofia (granted, turn-based, respect, blah).  Queen can equip for a bit more speed with her Mach Fist, that should allow her to EXA often enough to just flat out kill.

If you add Alena's critical rate into an average damage for DQ4o, Solofia does not heal-lock with a physical (damage average rises to 138, physical + Lightning is 2.26, Queen is 98% durability before Rakukaja). 

If you don't allow EXAs and don't take criticals into average damage, then this is a fight.  Solofia barely heal-locks (1.72x damage from Lightning + 0.84x physical).  Queen's evasion isn't supreme unless she's maxing for it (Judge of the Dead + Mach Fist + Maillot = 40% evasion or so), although that probably wins her the fight with the dodges.  Queen has 57% brainwash from one of her guns and 20% dizzy from anoth....

Mmm...20% dizzy on the gun is a 74% chance to inflict.  Nuclear damage gets a technical from that.  And it lasts 2 turns, meaning Solofia will likely miss physicals.  Solofia is only 105% HP.  Technical'd Atomic Flare is  579 x2 + gun attack of ~160 = 1318 vs. a physical average of 330 = 3.99x damage.  So...Queen can kill.  So then we get to the situation where Queen can run Solofia out of MP.  Go first, inflict dizzy.  Solofia can try to physical, and miss.  Queen then uses Freidyne (510 damage technical'd, 1.5x average damage) to force Solofia to heal.  Could run her out of MP then.  Of course, Fendspell...wrecks that.  Zenethian Sword casts dispel IIRC (so if you don't allow item-casts, that's something), so no costs there.  Solofia...probably has the advantage overall.  Solofia just has to cast that Fendspell, and there's not much that can be done otherwise.  Vajra ailments are her best bet here.  Or that gun that inflicts a random ailment.  If you see her being heal-locked, she loses, probably.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 03:10:34 AM »
OK: Solo has Fendspell, which lasts forever and Makoto has no way to dispel it, so Atomic Flare is not a plan unless you see Makoto's burst as capable of killing him on turn 1 with Shock infliction -> Atomic Flare.   And...  that shouldn't happen, Atomic Flare w/ the shock gun equipped and a technical boost + all the bullets hitting is 741 P5 damage by your numbers, but all the bullets won't hit, and you'd have to see the damage average REALLY low to see that as a kill.  (The "Fair no auto-Tarukaja" damage average, the lowest one, has a killpoint of 852, and Solo has above-average HP.)

Once Fendspell is up, even if Makoto is getting double turns like mad, she is like 5HKOing or 6HKOing Solo.  This is less hilariously bad than it should be because she can threaten quite a bit of burst if she lands a crit, but it's really not enough when most Solo hits force a heal.  If she uses Mach Punch, she might as well concede the fight, because her damage is jumping in the toilet.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2017, 04:29:57 AM »
Yes, that's the conclusion I came to and mentioned above.   It's the perfect combination that spoils her.   There are interpretations that give it to her, as noted above, but it's like the prefect combination.  Queen needed her brainwash gun to be a higher hit rate for this, or to have a disabling ailment that gave technical damage for 2 turns.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 05:48:21 AM »
Eh.  I can buy Jo'ou's argument, if Vajra is allowed she might win via getting a Despair proc in time.  I think that's about it, though.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 11:29:39 PM »
Godlike

Xorn (Grandia III)- iiiii vs Benjamin (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest)
T260G (SaGa Frontier) vs Ced (Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War)- ii

Heavy

Camilla (Fire Emblem: Fates) vs Hugo (Suikoden III)- iiii
Makoto Niijima (Persona 5)- iii vs Solo (Dragon Quest IV)- i

Middle

Haru Okumura (Persona 5) vs Kevin Graham (The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky The 3rd)- i
Seena (Lufia: The Legend Returns)- ii vs Norn (Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana)

Light

Seneca (Suikoden Tactics)- iii vs Lyonesse (Brigandine)- i
Mint Adenade (Tales of Phantasia)- iiii vs Flonne (Disgaea: Hour of Darkness)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.