imageRegister

Author Topic: An Aesthetic Discussion Spanning 17 Years - Andrew vs Pokemon - DAILY UPDATES!  (Read 39353 times)

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
Re: An Aesthetic Discussion Spanning 17 Years - Andrew versus Pokemon
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2016, 02:02:14 AM »
Featured: 300% longer goddamn legs than Furret

ftfy

I wasn't getting 12 legs no matter how many times I counted.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2016, 03:20:09 AM »
The RPGDL: Where you can argue about LITERALLY anything, up to and including "Do ferrets have legs?"

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #177 on: February 11, 2016, 01:21:36 AM »
We should make that our motto in all our advertising.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 11, 2016, 10:44:15 AM »
Oh come on, the use of literally here as a literal statement is a universal claim, and the only claim that is universally true is the paradoxical no universal claim is ever true.  The RPGDL is not a place where you can argue about literally anything.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2016, 12:04:43 PM »
....*slow claps*

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2016, 04:00:47 AM »
no u

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2016, 04:24:00 AM »
Crobat: Hey, something that doesn't totally suck. In fact, Crobat is better than Golbat! By a lot. Nice evolution of Zubat with the extra wings and not having that stupid fuck-off mouth. He's a good bat! The shift to purple did him no favors, though. Still, maybe it's the rest of this garbage talking, but I'll give Cro a 4/5.

Chinchou: It's Oddish with fins, cross-eyes, and two dangly light bulbs. Why does it have feet? 2/5

Lanturn: I wish the body was less boring. The angler bit is pretty rad looking, as is the fade into yellow on the tail. The mask works well too. Just the utter lack of anything on the body but the potbelly is kinda weird. 3/5

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2016, 06:59:35 AM »
Crobat is legit cool, it took an RBY pokemon I failed to give a shit about (referring to Golbat; Zubat is fine for what it is) and made it great.

Generally speaking I feel like gen 2, despite its woes, nailed most of its evolutions-of-previous-gen pokemon. Especially compared to gen 4's which are largely bad.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2016, 10:35:31 AM »
Pokemon designs that are "real animal plus one minor 'cool' point": dozens!
Pokemon designs that are "real animal but somehow less cool than in real life": somehow, Lanturn manages to be one.  Ah, Gen 2.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2016, 11:14:37 AM »
Crobat: Dat ass
the two other things i couldn't be fucked scrolling back up to check their names: Both blowjob face.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2016, 05:45:33 PM »
Pokemon designs that are "real animal plus one minor 'cool' point": dozens!
Pokemon designs that are "real animal but somehow less cool than in real life": somehow, Lanturn manages to be one.  Ah, Gen 2.

Yeah, I really don't get why they didn't use an actual anglerfish style design.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2016, 01:00:09 PM »
Why not do mega evos of gen 1 if you're bored of gen 2? I mean you will have to do them anyway.
And mega beedrill is pretty high up there on the list of pokemons that will murder you

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2016, 10:54:50 PM »
Why not do mega evos of gen 1 if you're bored of gen 2? I mean you will have to do them anyway.
And mega beedrill is pretty high up there on the list of pokemons that will murder you

Not actually bored! Just been working on other projects. This has actually been on my mind lately, so no worries, I'll get some more shitty Gen 2 Pokemon rated soon.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2016, 11:43:13 PM »
<RPGDL> It's great that you got married and everything, but you've been slacking on your pokemon reviews.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2016, 11:46:31 PM »
i was gonna say something like this but then NEB totally beat me to it like a pro
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 03, 2016, 12:00:41 AM »
fucking priorities andrew jeez. what came first, pokemon or your relationship?

I think this shows exactly where you stand and you have a lot of thinking to do young man.

that is to say you are still fucking wrong about pokemon and rate gen 2 consistently 3 points higher than it deserves

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 05, 2016, 03:58:37 AM »
Andy, you're making me agree with NEB. Stop it and get to work.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2016, 02:19:00 AM »
I need more of this in my life.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2016, 04:56:23 AM »
Christ, has it really been a month and a half? Blargh. More Pokemon coming soon.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 10, 2016, 07:25:28 PM »
Hey, Sun and Moon starters were revealed and GF continues the proud tradition of making shit tier water starters.

Let's celebrate with some Gen 2 Pokemon. Because they are also terrible. Where did I leave off? The baby Pokemon?

Fuck me.

Pichu: Hey look, it is a Pikachu with a body made out of weirdly geometric segments. Seriously, that round head and ears are terrible, and the black collar is pretty ugly too. 2/5.

Cleffa: Okay, this baby is actually pretty decent. It's what a young Clefairy should look like and, perhaps more importantly, it is actually cute. The proportions are all fantastic. The line of evolution is really smooth. This is probably hands down the best baby Pokemon. 4/5.

Igglybuff: Kill it with fire, please. This terrifying fetal abomination is just... bad. And the red eyes are immensely upsetting. Like, why? And why does a triple bun thing turn into Jigglypuff's little swirl? And why the swirl tattoo? Just... ugh. 2/5

Togepi: The design concept is kinda neat, but the overall execution is bland. It's basically a round body, flat face design. That said, the design on the egg is kind of a neat fantasy egg and Togepi's crown thing works well with the cracking of the egg. 3/5.

Togetic: I don't get what's happening here and I don't like it. Body shape is all sorts of terrible. Why does it suddenly have wings? Why is it white? I'm asking why a lot. Look, it sucks. 2/5

Natu: Is fucking rad. The weird pokemon stylizing of animals works well here because Natu is modeled off stylized art. The absolute roundness of it's body is a bit off-putting, but I just think the whole concept gels super well. 4/5.

Xatu: And we lost it. I like the stylizing still, but they overdo it a bit here. I think it's the black collar that's a step too far, really, especially with the eyes already there on the chest. I'm also not really fond of the shift for a more humanoid form (though the wings as robes thing is cute) and I still find the perfectly round head off-putting. hook on the beak and evolution of the head feathers look good, though. 3/5.

Mareep: It's a super cute sheep design (and the blue goes well with the white), but I'm not at all sure what those ears or tail are really supposed to be. And the more I look at them, the more I think they just straight detract from the design. I think just the tail would have been good. The ears are really odd. Stil, it's adorable. 4/5.

Flaffy: I do not understand Flaffy. It works as an acceptable transition between Mareep and Ampharos body wise (going upright, losing fluff, etc) but... why is it pink? Why is the tail bulb blue? This thing does not -at all- look like an electric type. Though it does make me wonder if just making Mareep's ears and tail blue would have helped sell those pieces. I dunno, I'm expending a weird amount of words on what is basically a super forgettable middle evo. Colors are stupid, everything else does it's job. 2/5.

Ampharos: Well, I don't quite how we get from Mareep to here, really, but I count Ampharos among Gen 2's better pokemon. The flipper arms are weird, but eh. Something about the overall design speaks to me. It is one of those designs I consider very "Pokemon." Colors are solid, red bulb on the tail works for an electric type and the red gem on the head creates a bit of something that isn't symmetry, but is similar. Body is nicely broken up by various small design things - white belly, black stripes, etc. Shape is good, though mouth is in a weird place. But the more I look, the more those flipper arms are driving me nuts. 4/5.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 10, 2016, 08:11:41 PM »
That explains Flipper Arms Gone Wild on your wall of shame.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 10, 2016, 08:38:33 PM »
Xatu seems to be modeled after a Navajo/Hopi Kachina doll (or possibly the totems of the Northwest tribes).  I think it works pretty well in that respect.

Example: http://media-cdn.alltribes.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/8081d36d33c1b3b87f9db6e943dec4cd/0/0/0055-22047-kd-01_2.jpg

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 10, 2016, 11:09:05 PM »
Xatu seems to be modeled after a Navajo/Hopi Kachina doll (or possibly the totems of the Northwest tribes).  I think it works pretty well in that respect.

Example: http://media-cdn.alltribes.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/8081d36d33c1b3b87f9db6e943dec4cd/0/0/0055-22047-kd-01_2.jpg

Completely random fact: My family actually had a ton of Kachina dolls.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 10, 2016, 11:44:13 PM »
Had?  Did you disown them for owning a bunch of Gen 2 Pokemon memorabilia?

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #199 on: May 10, 2016, 11:58:41 PM »
Hey, Sun and Moon starters were revealed and GF continues the proud tradition of making shit tier water starters.

http://nintendoinquirer.com/blog/2016/05/10/rowlet-litten-popplio-revealed-pokemon-sun-moon-starters/

Oh god, that water starter really IS awful... Actually, I'm not too keen on any of them in their base form. I hope they at least evolve into something cool. At the -concept- of Grass/Flying for a starter is great - probably gonna be my favorite?

Fire Cat and Circus Sealion are also acceptable starting points but the execution on them isn't great. They look better in motion at least? This is generally how I feel about most pokemon designs.

They are kind of hard to parse as 'real' when they are static (and geometric) designs. But in motion, the animators had to actually think about how such an impossible creature would have to look in real life. Then the designs tend to start looking a little more organic and believable instead of the "Oh won't this look cute on a lunchbox or phone strap!" tangrams that we see on things like Pichu or Oshawott (both of whom I find adorable but only when I first saw them animated, before that I was pretty much in the Andy camp on them).