Register

Author Topic: What Are Your All-Time Top 10 Albums?  (Read 2180 times)

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
What Are Your All-Time Top 10 Albums?
« on: November 05, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »
It's all in the title really, let's see some lists!

- Favorite albums!
- Any criteria you like!
- In order or in no order!
- Soundtracks count, song cycles count, weird gimmick remix albums count, it all counts!
- Big lists of honorable mentions welcome!
- You can also just cheat and do a top 20 instead of a top 10!
- Limit one-album-per-artist or don't!
- What matters is what you like!  I guess I'll expand on this and say I'll be trying to avoid making a balanced, defensible, superficially-objective sort of list based on things like popularity or influence or the maintenance of cred: "Well, can't have a top albums list without a Beatles record, I'll just throw that in, oh and I should really include one pick from this other genre of music just to round things out a little, also you know what? this album I listen to all the time is sort of a guilty pleasure, don't really wanna mention that one..."  That's boring!  I know I said "any criteria" up there but I urge you to go with the stuff you like.  This isn't a dating profile!  Be yourself!

I think that's everything!  I'll do one of my own later.  Probably some version of this exists already somewhere in the forum but I can't find it.  Oh final point, judging everybody else's list is fine!  Encouraged even!  Judgment-free zones are for like dramatic confessions and therapy and shit.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Are Your All-Time Top 10 Albums?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 09:11:18 PM »
These are roughly in order, but I don't care that much.

Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
The perfect soundtrack for a shut-in who has trouble relating with other people; one that has spoken to me for many years.

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
Takes what I loved about the post-punk era's sound and makes it sound huge and profound for the modern age, with fun nonsense lyrics even.

Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala
Jens Lekman is the quintessential hopeless romantic. He's silly, but always interesting.

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
One of the best sets of surrealistic, yet personal poetry of the 90s, backed with fitting music that doesn't mind tugging at the heart strings.

Chico Buarque - Construcao
Maybe the greatest political album. So important and profound that you can understand how important it is without understanding Portuguese.

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
Tom Waits at his best, not much else to say. Has all the elements I love in his music and some of his strongest songs.

Talking Heads - Remain in Light
An excellent blend of tape loops and art rock sensibility, with a visceral progression toward darkness that makes it feel like a complete experience.

NIER OST
Some of the best compositions seen in a video game, and it elevates the game way past the heights it could have reached otherwise.

Neil Young - On the Beach
Bleak and at times nonsensical, but Neil sends chills down my spine here. A great album for a rainy day when you're feeling lost and alone.

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
One of the greatest albums in rock music. It's loud, sometimes abrasive, sometimes rambly, but always reflects the attitude that made Dylan so great. (Blonde on Blonde a close runner-up)

Godspeed You Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven
Incredible piece of music that will make you wonder if classical music should just die and become this in today's world.

The Zombies - Oddesey and Oracle
My favorite 60s sunshine pop, with progressive elements that make it stand out in a crowded genre.

Bob Dylan - The Rolling Thunder Revue
Maybe the greatest live album ever recorded. Dylan is in top form, the song selection is excellent, and most importantly it sounds different from anything else he put to tape.

Los Hermanos - Ventura
Los Hermanos finally hit the perfect balance of indie rock and traditional Brazilian music, creating a mellow release that strikes an emotional punch.

Yasonuri Mitsuda - Chrono Cross
Soothing, with minimalism and Celtic influence that elevate it creatively from many video game soundtracks of the past. I can forgive Gale for existing since the rest is so good.

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Insert David Bowie album here. Seriously. This is my favorite but he's got one for everybody.

The Kinks - The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society
One of the coolest pop/rock albums out there. The baroque sound never really made it out of the 60s, which is a shame because it's such a delight to the ears. I listen to the original European vinyl edition of this, which IMO is better than the later releases (includes "Days" and is missing some other songs)

Jeff Buckley - Grace
Completely average singer-songwriter release that somehow is perfect at the same time. I have no justifcation for including this over, say, a Cohen release, but I just love this album.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:53:01 PM by jsh357 »

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 12:40:40 AM »
Dig!!! Lazarus, Dig!!! ~ Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Tidal ~ Fiona Apple
Simple Things ~ Zero 7
Load ~ Metallica
Ballbreaker ~ AC/DC
Highway to Hell ~ AC/DC (Fuck it. Bon Scott and Brian Johnson sound completely different.)
Powerslave ~ Iron Maiden
Cage the Elephant ~ Cage the Elephant
Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By ~ Lovage
A Night at the Opera ~ Queen

~~~
I made an edit because I had one of my list in the wrong order.

Albums are slightly in order, more or less.

If I could include multiple albums by the same band (without my bullshit excuse to get multi-AC/DC), I'd probably have more Metallica possibly more Fiona Apple
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:17:12 AM by Veryslightlymad »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 05:28:21 AM »
Not gonna go to the effort of winnowing it down.  I think a larger list is a more accurate and interesting one, at any rate.  I am amused by how this looks like a list where I tried to throw in, like, one representation from unrepresented genres.  I didn't, really.  Only including things I would more or less listen to front to back, or that have a critical mass of standout songs.

Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
Failure - Fantastic Planet. Not a good band, not great songs, but the album, listening from front to back, is way more than the sum of its parts.
FFT OST
FF7 OST - the further it gets in the rear view mirror, the more delightful the weird synth stuff gets.  And the main theme is a jewel.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex OST - first of many albums by Yoko Kanno.  She can do no wrong.
Mahler's 3rd.  Not an album but it's like 2 hours long, so whatev.
Jurassic 5 - Quality Control
Everyone Loves Katamari OST
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Legend of Mana OST
Macross Frontier OST
Macross Plus OST
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Are a Drag
Cardcaptor Sakura OST
Ys Origin OST
Nine inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine - I can't fucking believe this came out in 1989.
Nirvana - In Utero. So predictable!
Princess Mononoke OST
R.E.M. - Accelerate, Automatic for the People, Up, Around the Sun, Reveal.  I like R.E.M.  A lot.  And mostly the albums other people don't like (except Automatic for the People, which everyone likes.)
Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song OST
Self - Subliminal Plastic Motives, Breakfast with Girls
Digital Devil Saga OST
Persona 4 OST
Tank Girl Soundtrack
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan OST
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
They Might be Giants - John Henry, Flood, Severe Tire Damage, Factory Showroom, Dial-a-Song
Touhou - Imperishable Night, Perfect Cherry Blossom, Mountain of Faith, Subterranean Animism
Tracy Bonham - The Burdens of Being Upright
Revolutionary Girl Utena OSTs.  Where else can you get prog rock about king Priam being murdered by Achilles' son?  Utena was weird you guys.
Vision of Escaflowne OSTs
Wild Arms - I dunno, all of them? Something like that.
X tv OST
Xenogears OST
Maaya Sakamoto - Shonen Alice
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:07:18 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 06:48:16 AM »
Very Genre Specific. All CDs are just super strong in terms of consistency or are very well designed to flow as a single album (which is generally the reason that more obscure bands are on the list, except Lapis Lazuli who is owns both categories).

Ancient Bards- A New Dawn Ending
Awaken Solace- Nightfall's Embrace
Lapis Lazuli- The Downfall of Humanity
Nightwish- End of an Era (this one feels like cheating, but whatever). If I was going non live CDs, this would be Once
Nightwish- Endless Forms Most Beautiful
Wildpath- Underneath
Within Temptation- Black Symphony (like End of an Era, this kind of feels like cheating). If I was going for non live CDs, this would be The Heart of Everything
Xandria- Neverworld's End
Xandria- Sacrificium

Honorable Mentions since I couldn't decide which was number 10:
Anaria- Anaria. Solid, but I just don't love any of the songs enough to be on the list
HolyHell- HolyHell. They would be on the list, but they took the whole "1 theme" thing way too far and every one of their songs even up having an identical theme.
Nemesea- In Control. See Anaria.
Xandria- Fire and Ashes. Great but only 3 new songs.
...into the nightfall.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 06:42:24 PM »
Special thanks to Winamp's "Most Played" tab.  My install's only a couple years old, so the list's biased to what I've been listening to since graduation.

Blonde on Blonde (1966) / Bob Dylan
The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967) / The Velvet Underground
London Calling (1979) / The Clash
Doolittle (1989) / Pixies
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (1994) / Pavement
MTV Unplugged in New York (1994) / Nirvana
Being There (1996) / Wilco
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (1998) / Neutral Milk Hotel
69 Love Songs (1999) / Magnetic Fields
From a Basement on the Hill (2004) / Elliott Smith

Honorable mentions to:
a bunch of Radiohead, White Stripes, and Black Keys albums which I couldn't decide on favorites from;
the OSTs from Hotline Miami and Run Lola Run;
Schubert's Winterreise;
and a couple other Pixies albums I like on the same tier as the rest of the list but which I disqualified since I was already so close to keeping each artist to one album.

The list as it stands doesn't feature anything that's been made since I was in middle school and it's ludicrously weighted toward dudes strumming guitars.  The other concerning thing is how popular my picks are.  Who wants to face up to liking mostly really popular music?  Definitely a hipster's nightmare, I'm gonna stay strong though.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 07:15:17 PM »
Almost all of those are albums I like or somehow related to other albums I like so it looks good to me. Sometimes stuff gets popular for a reason. If I expanded my list to include 9/10s I'd include several of those.

Being hip was fun until I realized just liking what I liked was more fun.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 07:31:55 PM »
I like that first post. Fuck the beatles. Engage hipster mode

Foals - Holy fire
Todd Terje - It's album time
Gorillaz - Demon days
Rodrigo y gabriela - 11:11
Justice - Justice
Justice - Audio Video Disco
Carpenter brut - EP III
Carpenter brut - EP II
Daft punk - Discovery
The do - Shake shook shaken
Champion - Chill em all

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 07:58:58 PM »
the pillows - Little Busters
the pillows - Happy Bivouac
Wild Arms 1o OST
Atelier Ayesha OST
Scott Pilgrim vs The World Movie OST
Susumu Hirasawa - Berserk anime OST
Susumu Hirasawa - Paprika OST
Susumu Hirasawa - Millennium Actress OST
Yoko Kanno - Cowboy Bebop OST
Beck anime OST
Queen - A Night at the Opera
Queen - A Day at the Races

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 09:21:22 PM »
When I was a freshman in college, I took an English class that (accidentally but fortuitously) was solely focused on writing about music. We had to pick one record for our big essay and five others for smaller pieces. Only one of those albums is still on this list.

These are in no order more significant than alphabetical by artist (because that's how my shelves are organized):

Apocalyptica: 7th Symphony
Arcade Fire: Neon Bible
David Bowie: Heathen
Peter Gabriel: Up
Yuki Kajiura: Noir OST
The Protomen: Act 2 ~ The Father of Death
Queen: A Day at the Races
Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime
R.E.M.: Automatic for the People
Rush: Clockwork Angels

Honorable mentions to things I couldn't quite fit into ten but are still pretty special to me:

Alan Parsons Project: I Robot
Blue Oyster Cult: Imaginos
Daft Punk: Random Access Memories
Devil Doll: Dies Irae (I could so easily top ten this if I felt the second half was as strong as the first; I recommend it for fans of severely weird music)
King Crimson: The Power to Believe
NIER OST
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here

And something Utena, if there was one specific collection I knew of then it'd probably be in top ten, but practically speaking I think it's more the general sound and weirdness and contextual associations that keep me tied to it than any one concrete cycle of songs.

~

Godspeed You Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven

Props. That's probably the strongest of their albums? I tend to have mixed feelings about their others, especially Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada (which is 50% amazing and 50% "Random street lunatic plagiarizes Iron Maiden lyrics but the band thinks it's profound because THE GUBMINT.") LYSFLATH's crescendos are so worth wading through the white noise to reach, though.

Notmiki: I actually like R.E.M.'s Up! It's the last of their records I have any attachment to, though.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 09:38:21 PM »
I like all of GYBE's albums a lot up to Yanqui UXO, where I think they started getting a little too tedious with too little payoff, and I have not been a fan of their comeback stuff at all. Slow Riot is awesome; I actually didn't know B.B.F.III was quoting Iron Maiden until just recently, but regardless I loved the intensity of the track unified with his speaking, which is somehow mesmerizing to me. Skinny Fists is just phenomenal, though, especially Static--again that great use of a vocal sample with music that makes it take on a higher plane of meaning.

Other post-rock bands have tried and failed to accomplish what GYBE did sonically, though I'm a fan of some of them for other reasons anyway, especially Sigur Ros.

Edit: Added ridiculous justifications. Writing about music is hard.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:53:32 PM by jsh357 »

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 11:36:48 PM »
Yeah, the first half of Slow Riot is what I love. This should not be a surprise because "dedicated to all the lost cats of Mile End." And it sounds like it.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 11:46:04 PM »
It is okay Otter, that is still a hipsters most favourite of all time top 10.  You aren't quite at posting "DAE rememberer when music used real instruments??? *picture of Jim Morison*", but it is still solidly in old school = the real cool.

Generally good fucking albums though.  You were taught well.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 11:56:34 PM »
Nowadays I don't listen to albums as a coherent whole anymore, so a lot of the crafting of a whole album may be lost on me, so these are just a collection of albums with songs I particularly like.

Arcade Fire - Funeral
Belle & Sebastian - Write About Love
Bjork - Post
Christopher Tin - Calling All Dawns
CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe
Daft Punk - Discovery
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
Flashbulb - Uh lots of them
Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
Hotline Miami 1 & 2 Soundtracks
Iron and Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean
Janelle Monae - Archandroid
Janelle Monae - Electric Lady
Joe Hisaishi - Princess Mononoke (probably one of my favorite composers but I have a had time pointing to one of his soundtracks. The Wind Rises is also really good)
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City
LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening
Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below
Outkast - Stankonia
Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On [favorite album of all time]
Mogwai - Young Team
M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
Nas - Ilmatic
Nujabes - Modal Soul
Kow Otani - Shadow of the Colossus OST
Sigur Ros - Takk
Sigur Ros - Ágætis byrjun
Sigur Ros - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
St Vincent - St Vincent
Toby Fox - Undertale OST
Tom Tykwer - Cloud Atlas
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:23:01 AM by The Duck »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 12:58:22 AM »
I couldn't possibly do a Top Anything albums, especially given how their importance tends to shuffle up and down as years go by. I'll just sort a list of really memorable albums that I can order from the top of my head in the last decade or so. I'll sort them by band, since like hell I'm picking only one from each group/artist. Also, this list is in NO WAY comprehensive.

Blondie - Blondie, Plastic Letters, Parallel Lines
Elvis Costello & the Attractions - This Year's Model, Armed Forces, Get Happy!!!, Imperial Bedroom, Blood & Chocolate
Eurythmics - In The Garden
Talking Heads - '77, More Songs About Buildings And Food, Fear Of Music, Remain In Light, The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads
Arcade Fire - Funeral, Neon Bible, The Suburbs
Cocteau Twins - The entire discography, really. But, in particular: Treasure, Victorialand, Lullabies To Violaine Vol. II, The Moon And The Melodies, The Pink Opaque, Blue Bell Knoll, Heaven Or Las Vegas
Aimee Mann - Lost In Space (Special Edition), Whatever, I'm With Stupid. Honorable mention for Til Tuesday's Everything's Different Now, which really did lay the foundations for Aimee's masterful lyrics penning.
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
The Magnetic Fields - Once again, more or less the entire discography. 69 Love Songs, Distortion, Get Lost and The Charm Of The Highway Strip deserve special mention, however. I'm also very fond of Stephin Merritt's side projects, like The 6ths, Future Bible Heroes and The Gothic Archies. Wasps' Nests is quite possibly the best 2013 indie album produced in 1995.
Björk - Debut, Post, Homogenic, Vespertine. The first and the third are borderline masterpieces, the second and fourth just very appealing entries in spite of falling a bit short of Björk's creative apex.
My Bloody Valentine - Once again, you could say the entire discography. But Loveless deserves a very special nod, being pretty much shoegazing's Pet Sounds. You Made Me Realize and Ecstasy are also incredible EPs.
R.E.M. - Automatic For The People, Fables Of The Reconstruction, Lifes Rich Pageant, Out Of Time, Reckoning and Murmur, definitely. R.E.M.'s just about one of the ten most important bands in my life.
Slowdive - Souvlaki
iamamiwhoami - Kin, Blue
This Mortal Coil - It'll End In Tears
Claude Debussy - The Suite Bergamasques, La Cathédrale Engloutie, L'aprés Midi D'un Faune, Clair De Lune - the list really goes on with Debussy's compositions.
Swans - Children Of God, Soundtracks For The Blind
Susanne Sundfor - The Brothel, Ten Love Songs
Siouxsie & the Banshees - A Kiss In The Dreamhouse, Juju, Hyaena
Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain, Heaven Up Here
The Cure - Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me, Disintegration, The Head On The Door
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Florence + the Machine - Ceremonials, How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful, Lungs
Belle & Sebastian - The Boy With The Arab Strap
A Sunny Day In Glasgow - Ashes Grammar
Allo Darlin' - Allo Darlin'. The other two albums, as charming as their play and songstress are, simply retread the grounds from the gorgeous debut.
Pet Shop Boys - Behaviour, Introspective
Let's Active - Cypress
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix
The Byrds - Fifth Dimension
The B-52's - Mesopotamia

The funny part is just how wildly different the reasons for liking those works are. I can't really explain right here, but I could go on days about the mythological, borderline Joyce-like narrative in Fables, or how Treasure and Blue Bell Knoll drown me in color and shapes, taking my musical synaesthesia to its logical extreme. Regardless, I think this covers -some- of it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:00:06 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 01:37:46 AM »
R.E.M. - Accelerate, Automatic for the People, Up, Around the Sun, Reveal.  I like R.E.M.  A lot.  And mostly the albums other people don't like (except Automatic for the People, which everyone likes.)

R.E.M. - Automatic For The People, Fables Of The Reconstruction, Lifes Rich Pageant, Out Of Time, Reckoning and Murmur, definitely. R.E.M.'s just about one of the ten most important bands in my life.

See what'd I tell ya

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 01:58:34 AM »
Hard to argue with Automatic's intricate balance of artistic sensibility and accessibility. Quite possibly their most universal album and, by far, their most beautiful.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2015, 02:18:10 AM »
Quite so.  It's beautiful but I think it might seem kitschy if it weren't standing on the shoulders of R.E.M's work to date.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2015, 04:13:33 AM »
Arcade Fire – Funeral
Ayreon – The Human Equation
Devin Townsend Project – Ki
Electric Six – Flashy
Florence + the Machine – How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
Janelle Monae – The Electric Lady
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – No More Shall We Part
Nightwish – Endless Forms Most Beautiful
Of Montreal – False Priest
Queensryche – Operation Mindcrime

I tried to avoid having the same artist twice on the list, although there were some pretty tough ones I had to exclude (E6 – Fire, Devin Townsend’s Ghost, Nick Cave’s The Boatman’s Call, Florence’s Lungs/Ceremonials). Hissing Fauna vs. False Priest was an extremely hard decision and I even originally wrote down the other one. The ‘Black’ album from Metallica, The Heart of Everything from Within Temptation, The White Stripes’ White Blood Cells, Amy Winehouse’s Back To Black, and First Aid Kit’s Stay Gold are some close ones. There are also a few albums that I am not as fond of anymore but have some sentimental value for when I was first discovering music (Don Henley’s Inside Job, Edwin McCain’s Messanger, Toby Keith’s How Do You Like Me Now?, Dream Theater’s Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence).

Also, maybe I should listen to R.E.M sooner or later. Definitely should listen to Imaginos.

Edit: I forgot to mention this earlier, but the Elton John Greatest Hits compilation is something that I am extraordinarily fond of, but decided not to stick it on due to categorizing things slightly differently for things like that. I'd have to think about if that cracks the top 10 otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:02:05 PM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2015, 04:18:52 PM »
yes listen to REM

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 04:21:19 PM »

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 10:48:21 PM »
We're all so much more civil than most music communities.

I'mma talk about my list, since I fucking love music:

Dig!!! Lazarus, Dig!!! ~ Nick Cave is a mad genius and hopefully is what I slowly evolve into when I enter my middle-age years. There's a 5 track stretch on here, I'm gonna say We Call upon the Author through Midnight Man, that I would argue is the strongest 5 consecutive tracks on any non-collective works album ever. I will duel people with knives about this.

Tidal ~ Like Cave, Fiona is one of the greatest lyricists ever, spinning mad soul-wrenching poetry that feels 100% genuine, and genuineness is important to me with music. If I ever make money again, I am, at some point buying myself a keyboard, and, like, 30 years from now, probably a piano, more or less because of this album.

Simple Things ~ This album completely redefined my taste in music. This is fucking brilliant chillout. This is a musical experience. I don't listen to this album anymore because my headphones are broken and only one side works and I can no longer do it justice. This is an album so relaxing it enabled me to beat Pokemon. In college, like, over a decade after Pokemon was out, closer to 15 years, really, I put on this album and said, "I want to do something mindless and repetitive that I've never had the patience to sit still for". So I put in Pokemon Blue and played the game from start to finish over a few days and this album was on repeat for the entire journey. I regret nothing. Incidentally, In the Waiting Line is probably the song that I feel is closest to my own soul.

Load ~ I fucking love Metallica, and I defended these guys through some bad times. I'm not big on St. Anger, who the fuck knows what that abortion is they released with Lou Reed is. Death Magnetic is actually pretty decent. There are thrash fans that would hate on me for liking this album above the others, but it's absurd. Let's be real. Metallica is, from top to bottom, goth poetry. It's stuff you'd cram under your bed in high school because no one fuckin' understands, man. Usually we just don't give a shit because the actual musical half is really fucking genius. Load is their best album lyrically. Load is actually raw and not just rambling or cool visuals or whatever. It's still goth poetry, but this goth had real pain, man. When I was younger, this was my favorite album, despite being the sole Metallica album (at the time, again, pre St. Anger) that had a single track I disliked. That's right. From Kill 'em All to RE-Load, I liked or loved every single track. Except one. Mama Said. Now that I'm older, I have no idea what the hell was wrong with me. Mama Said is one of the most emotional, raw, well written songs Metallica has ever released. My eyes have been opened. What I always felt was the argument that could shoot my "Favorite Metallica Album" opinion to dust is actually the keystone that holds this impenetrable arch together as one of the greatest albums ever released.

Ballbreaker ~ You know how earlier I said that genuineness is very, very important to me in music? AC/DC is fluff. Their lyrics are just party rock. Boozin' and fuckin' and being rockstars or whatever. With the meanest guitar hooks ever. But you know what? That is exactly who AC/DC is. If Tidal gets me to learn Piano, this is the album that will get me to learn Guitar. Look, everyone loves Back in Black, blah blah. It's a great album. This one is better. Listen to this. Listen to this goddamn hook. This is so simple. It's uncomplicated. It's still absolutely fucking filthy. Who does this? AC/DC is rock and roll distilled to its very essence. There has never been, and there will never be a band more emblematic with honest-to-god Rock and Roll than AC/DC. Why do AC/DC write so many songs about boozin' fuckin' and being rockstars? Because that's what Rock and Roll is, man. You want more filth? Try this filth. The ending of this song is orgasmic. Throw your smooth jazz, your R&B out the window. Hard Rock and Roll is the sexiest music, and everyone knows it, and no one wants to admit it. You know what this song is? You go to a party. You borrow a guy's guitar, you play a few simple licks. Maybe a song or two. Something well loved. Everyone nods their head. They're all, "yeah, that was pretty good." You look the guy who gave you his guitar in the eye. You say "I was just teasing your girl for a little bit, but now I'm gonna fuck her." And you just fucking rip into Caught With Your Pants Down. By the time you finish, by this time, on your fucking knees and sweating, you pass the guy his guitar back, and he is shamed. He will never play anything on that guitar the same way again. He has to buy a new guitar. His girlfriend leaves him. The party breaks up and everyone is just walking home, shaking their heads. On the one hand, they had a great experience, but on the other, why, man. Why would any human do something so cruel and emasculating to another human? What did they gain from it? None of them will ever know, but they'll know that it needed to be done. That it was inevitable and history led these two guitar aficionados to this clash of destiny.

Highway to Hell
~ I included two AC/DC albums on my list as though they were different bands, because I maintain that Bon Scott and Brian Johnson are that different. Your mileage may vary. Ironically, the album that I chose for Scott is probably the least "Bon Scott" album that he was involved in. It's certainly the least bluesy. Odd, because I like blues, and I like the old AC/DC blues. This album has some of my favorite AC/DC gems, though. My big beef against AC/DC haters is they say the band sounds the same no matter what they produce. That pisses me off. That's lazy. AC/DC sounds the same because the stupid radio plays the same tracks. The best AC/DC is somewhat less popular. (See also: Ballbreaker) Listen to Walk All Over You. Listen to Touch Too Much. These are two tracks on the same album. They are about the same subject matter. They are back-to-back. (Tracks 3 and 4) They're clearly the same band, sure, but they are not particularly similar songs. (Incidentally, those two, plus Shot Down in Flames are why this is my favorite Bon Scott album. The titular Highway to Hell? For my money, that is the weakest track on this album. AC/DC is really weird. For the most part, they're better than what you hear on the radio, but they're still exactly who the songs you know them for represent them to be, unlike, say, Chumbawumba, who are a completely different band that the Radio doesn't give their due.

Powerslave ~ I've said for years this was my favorite Iron Maiden album, and I never really looked into it too hard until Otter asked us to make a list. I know there are several tracks on this album I don't like. Including the extremely popular Two Minutes to Midnight. This album has 8 tracks. There are 5 I like. That's barely more than half. Total play time for the album that I like? Is less than half. I ain't talking about love. (My love is rotten to the core) I'm talking about even liking the songs. There are Iron Maiden albums I will listen to from start to finish. So, looking over the other Iron Maiden albums and verifying, "yeah. I'll listen to this whole album and have a good time", I prepared to remove Powerslave from my list. Then I clicked the info on my computer for Powerslave.

1)Aces High
3)Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
4)Flash of the Blade
5)The Duellists
6)Back in the Village

I will never, ever remove this album from my top 10 list. No how, no way. This is the best Iron Maiden album ever cut. Never have two electric guitars come screaming together along with bass, drums, and (on only four of the tracks!) the human Air-Raid Siren come together for more intense, blood-pumping music. Albums that are "good" all the way through be damned. This album is just great enough to not give a shit about its flaws.

Cage the Elephant ~ Their self-titled first album. Man. Borderlands is one of my favorite PC games of all time, and is a game I will likely replay for years to come. I would argue that, despite how excellent it is, the best thing it ever did for me was introduce me to Cage the Elephant. I thought Rock and Roll was dead. I really did. I would have long, desperate conversations with my best friend for hours lamenting how there hasn't been a good, honest-to-god rock band in decades. Like, what do we have? The Black Crowes and Jet? I like both a ton, but they're both largely kinda "eh", and the Crowes' better days are behind them. I bought this sight-unseen because of Borderlands. I figured "Eh. Maybe I'll luck out." I did. These poor bastards have the enviable job of keeping Rock and Roll alive. Music in this country is so wounded they had to move to fucking Britain to do it.1 This album is amazing. This is the album that really got me back to listening to full albums front-to-back. For years I just rolled with the "shuffle" option. The best part is? It's ANGRY. Rock was missing that. Rap understands. Punk either understands or pretends to, depending on who you ask. Rock, pop... they lost it. Sometimes music isn't real unless the person singing it is honest-to-god goddamn mad. These guys are. You can tell. I still like their other two albums, but their first album is their best because it's tight. There's a message. And the music is good. If it were written 20 years earlier, Lotus would be one of the most respected rock songs of all time. I am certain of this. It's the best track on the album. It's not played. That kills me. That wounds my soul. In One Ear, Ain't No Rest for the Wicked, and Back Against the Wall are all great songs. I am not throwing shade at them. Lotus is Cage's best song. It's not close. That chorus was made for another time. But it was made for this time. Sometimes I think Rock, and more specifically, protest rock, is in such bad shape because these guys from Bowling Green, Kentucky, of all conceivable places, are the only ones left who care.

Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By ~ I threw shade at smooth jazz, R&B, songs that were the soft kind of sexy. This album is actually sexy. More amazingly? This is a joke concept album. It's a parody of sexy albums, but it's still sexy. It's self-aware and has a brilliant sense of humor and that only makes it better. It takes ridiculous lyrics, covers an honest-to-god bad song at one point.... and it still makes it work. I love that. This is an album that, I swear to God, the people involved sat down and said "I am going to do something incredibly stupid and then I am going to play it completely straight and make it work anyhow." Dan the Automator and Kid Koala spin ridiculous enough beat, and Mike Patton and Jennifer Charles' vocals are so fucking amazing, that it turns the concept in on its ear and stays sexy anyhow. That's incredible. You want proof of how amazing this concept album is? It takes this ridiculous, peak 80s madness and turns it into This. Are you kidding me? You wanna hear something crazier? This is possibly the worst track on the album. I can't listen to this when my one roommate is home. It is too much for her. This album is amazing in how it smashes its own ridiculousness to pieces. There is a track on this album with the lyric "You are the griddle (I am the Meat)" and it is still fucking good. How is that even possible?

A Night at the Opera ~ I have less to say about this one, partly because its on so many of your lists already. So you guys know why this is a fucking great album. My two cents, and perhaps largely unpopular opinion? Bohemian Rhapsody is maybe the third best track on this album, tops. It's a shame that Death on Two Legs never became one of Queen's more well-known tracks, because it's the angriest, rawest that queen has ever really been. You listen to those lyrics, realize they actually are fucking directed at another human being and you realize just how fucking mad that guy made them. You idiot. You made some of the greatest songwriters ever mad, at you, and then they went and wrote a song for you about what kind of a giant turd you are. And Freddie just fucking COMMITS. He is spitting out those vocals in just pure fucking seething rage. How do you turn a band of such positivism into that? It's if the Stones' Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man were less tongue-in-cheek make fun of the nerd, and more 100% "No, seriously, fuck this asshole." Even the PIANO is mad. I'm gonna change gears for a second. Lots of you have this album, and love this album. I want you to sit down. I want you to pop this album in, or fire up the MP3 you have, assuming you ripped it at ultra-high quality. I want you to put on the best pair of headphones you can find. No earbuds allowed. I want you to turn on The Prophet's Song. Just... marvel at how it fades from one ear to the other. 1)Holy. Shit. 2)You're welcome.

1 (Incidentally, if you want to know who the most successful non-solo American rock artist is of all time? It's the Eagles. The FUCKIN EAGLES, man. Or about half of Foreigner if you wanna do bands of mixed origin. American Rock has never been that good. Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 11:07:04 PM by Veryslightlymad »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2015, 12:28:25 PM »
Third Eye Blind- Third Eye Blind (Best track: God of Wine)
No Doubt- Tragic Kingdom (Best track: Spiderwebs)
Halestorm- The Strange Case Of... (Best track: Daughters of Darkness)
Apocalpytica- Apocalyptica (Best track: Ruska)
Parasite Eve- OST (Best track: Aya's theme)
Final Fantasy 7- OST (Best track: Fighting)
Lindsey Stirling- Shatter Me (Best track: Shatter me)
Castlevania Harmony of Despair- OST (Best track: Ryokotsuki)
Antonio Vivaldi- Four Seasons (Best track: Winter 2nd Movement)
The Pretty Reckless- Going to Hell (Best Track: House on a Hill)

I don't listen to a lot of CDs, and I rarely listen to them straight through.  I'm sure I'm forgetting something relevant here but this works. There is no particular order to this, it was just listed as I remembered various CDs.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 12:37:35 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2015, 01:50:53 PM »
Yeah, winter is definitely > the other months (as far as Vivaldi's concerned). Winter > Summer > Spring > Fall. I always found Fall a little dull in comparison.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2015, 02:59:23 PM »
VSM: In spite of not listing Metallica, I have to generally second your praise for the band. They're just a lot of fun... well, until St Anger. What a shitshow that album was.

Ciddy: Ayep. Winter's the best, I like spring a lot too. I tend to enjoy classical music, though it tends to be Italian (Una Furtiva Lagrima, etc)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 03:05:14 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...