Register

Author Topic: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!  (Read 129345 times)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Re: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!
« Reply #575 on: January 15, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »
I do not care much for monsters, hence only doing an FF7 ranking. Mainly based on end-game since that is where most of the time is spent.

If you can't tell from this thread, everyone hates monsters.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 15, 2011, 10:01:52 PM »
Final Fantasy 7:
Cloud Strife: 8/10. Best PC, kind of a given.  Personally I found all of his Limits useful.  It's way easier to charge the low level ones, and Cross Slash is mad awesome.   Granted, Omnislash is still pretty much the best non-KOTR attack in the game.
Barret Wallace: 6/10. Good durability, which doesn't mean a lot but is still nice.  Also has useful Limits.
Tifa Lockheart: 6/10. Great for late game twinking, but very frail and somewhat weaker than other characters earlier on.
Aeris Gainsborough: 1/10 - Her temp status really kills it for me personally.  Yuffie's better for the whole Limit healing thing.
Nanaki "Red XIII": 5/10. He's great when the Seraph Comb is still good, but I never found him useful outside of it.  I'm surprised by all the magic hype in the comments here, I find Green materia near worthless and Summons not worth the animation time.
Yuffie Kisaragi: 7/10. Awesome back row weapons, Conformer rules, awesome Limits.  Not quite as good as Cloud.
Cait Sith: 5/10. Again, lower level Limits are easier to charge.  Dice is great for cheap damage throughout the game, and he really doesn't fall off until the end.
Vincent Valentine: 2/10.  He's not unusable, but his Limits are awful in a game where that matters.
Cid Highwind: 5/10.  Nothing special.

Final Fantasy Tactics Monsters:
Behemoth: 3/10. Actually pretty good, but just too inflexible.  
Bird: 3/10.
Bomb: 1/10
Bull Demon: 2/10
Cat: 3/10.
Chocobo: 6/10. Best monster in terms of usability.  Yellows and Reds are both great to have until endgame (and are still somewhat useful there).  Choco Meteor is great until you get Math Skill and stuff.
Dragon: 2/10
Floating Eye: 1/10.
Ghost: 2/10. Early Teleport is cool
Goblin: 1/10.
Hydra: 4/10. Impractical but really powerful and can break the damage cap with 3 hits technically.
Marlboro: 1/10.
Skeleton: 1/10. Hey they're awesome in LFT!
Squid: 1/10. You'd think Mind Blast would make them worth it.
Tree: 1/10.
Uribo: 1/10. Poaching yay

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 16, 2011, 02:42:40 AM »
Tifa Lockheart: 6/10. Great for late game twinking, but very frail and somewhat weaker than other characters earlier on.

I find it hard to call Tifa "Frail" when the Vitality and Spirit Differences characters have is so minor, and HP Variance is about 10% over the cast, such that a single Materia difference can shift things.  I'll refrain from commenting on others, but FF7 Durability differences are so small, that's one of the reasons I noted with Barret "Its hard to care about that in FF7"
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 16, 2011, 02:59:48 AM »

I find it hard to call Tifa "Frail" when the Vitality and Spirit Differences characters have is so minor, and HP Variance is about 10% over the cast, such that a single Materia difference can shift things.  I'll refrain from commenting on others, but FF7 Durability differences are so small, that's one of the reasons I noted with Barret "Its hard to care about that in FF7"

Maybe it's just me, but I always had trouble with Tifa constantly being put at critical in the front row (mainly early on).

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 16, 2011, 04:01:47 AM »
Early on, she's underleveled relative to Cloud and Barret, and those two have among the higher HP scores in the game (well, Barret's #2 at least after Cait Sith; I'm guessing Cloud's is good too, just cause "He's Cloud, he's good at everything!")

FF7's Defense system is identical to FF6's, except it runs off a 511 denominator, instead of 255.  With both lower defense scores, numerically speaking, and a higher denominator relative to FF6, defense differences are far less noticeable, and each individual point matters half as much (so its unlikely the growth variance is playing into this.) 

Also, its important to remember what Materia you're giving everyone.  If for whatever reason Tifa has more Magic Materia than the other 2 Party Members (Cloud and Barret, I suspect, since its "Early on"), her HP will be compensated as a result (while Materia stat changes are generally negligible, HP is the one stat which is impacted notably.)

KelogBites

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 16, 2011, 10:04:19 PM »
Early on, she's underleveled relative to Cloud and Barret, and those two have among the higher HP scores in the game (well, Barret's #2 at least after Cait Sith; I'm guessing Cloud's is good too, just cause "He's Cloud, he's good at everything!")

Actually, at lvl.99 with a perfect HP progression Barret is the only character that can hit 9999 HP without HP-Plus Materia. Earlier on yes, he lacks behind Cait Sith (not that I have the chart in front of me, going from memory here) but he ramps up past 60 at overtakes him for #1 HP.

I do not care much for monsters, hence only doing an FF7 ranking. Mainly based on end-game since that is where most of the time is spent.
If you can't tell from this thread, everyone hates monsters.
Reasonable. Monsters suck in FFT. The only one that is good for it's period is the Yellow Chocobo early on for instant-multi target healing. Tiamats may be given some bonus for being A) Badass and B)Pretty Decent, but by the time they are available, no monster could be better than a well-built Generic.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 16, 2011, 10:15:12 PM »
For what it's worth, an in-game use discussion isn't going to care about levels past 60 much, so if Cait does lead earlier, then I think it'd be pretty legitimate to call him #1 in HP.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 22, 2011, 03:08:37 AM »
Final Fantasy 7:
Cloud Strife: 7.25
Barret Wallace: 5.07
Tifa Lockheart: 5.79
Aeris Gainsborough: 3.88
Nanaki "Red XIII": 5.32
Yuffie Kisaragi:  5.43
Cait Sith: 4.33
Vincent Valentine: 2.18
Cid Highwind: 4.64

Final Fantasy Tactics Monsters:
Behemoth: 2.31
Bird: 3.50
Bomb: 1.50
Bull Demon: 1.75
Cat: 2.69
Chocobo: 4.61
Dragon: 2.88
Floating Eye: 2.00
Ghost: 2.13
Goblin: 1.19
Hydra: 4.22
Marlboro: 0.93
Skeleton: 1.13
Squid: 1.25
Tree: 0.50
Uribo: 0.94

Best Rating of this Session: Cloud w/ 7.25
Worst Rating of this Session: Tree w/ 0.50

I'm legitimately impressed at Tree's rating, for the record.

Top 20 Ratings:
1. Yuna (FFX) 9.80
2. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SH1) 9.53
3. Hyuga "Citan Uzuki" Ricdeau (XG) 9.46
4. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SHC) 9.25
5. Cecilia Lynn Adlehyde (WA1) 9.20
6. Haar (FE10) 9.17
7t. Deis (BoF2) 9.11
7t. Reyson (FE10) 9.11
9. Lenneth Valkyrie (VP(:L)) 9.02
10. Ephraim (FE8) 9.01
11. Elincia (FE10) 8.85
12. Tibarn (FE10) 8.83
13. Rena Lanford (SO2) 8.75
14. Tana (FE8) 8.73
15. Purim (SoM) 8.70
16. Maria Traydor (SO3) 8.68
17. Cidolfas Orlandu (FFT) 8.66
18t. Claude Kenni (SO2) 8.63
18t. Nailah (FE10) 8.63
20. Ike (FE10) 8.58

Top 20 Failures:
1. Tree (FFT) 0.50
2. Karla (FE7) 0.77
3. Chu-chu (XG) 0.85
4. Marlboro (FFT) 0.93
5. Uribo (FFT) 0.94
6. Maria Balthasar (XG) 1.00
7. Malak Golthana (FFT) 1.03
8. Byblos (FFT) 1.06
9. Douglas (FE6) 1.10
10. Skeleton (FFT) 1.13
11. Goblin (FFT) 1.20
12. Astrid (FE10) 1.20
13. Squid (FFT) 1.25
14t. Mime (FFT) 1.28
14t. Lyre (FE10) 1.28
16. Yunno (FE6) 1.35
17. Garret (FE6) 1.36
18t. Mogu (BoF) 1.50
18t. Bomb (FFT) 1.50
20. Noel Chandler (SO2) 1.55

Wild ARMs Advanced 3rd:
Virginia Maxwell:
Gallows Caradine:
Jet Enduro:
Clive Winslett:

Xenosaga: Der Wille zur Macht:
Shion Uzuki:
KOS-MOS:
Luis Virgil:
Ziggurat 8 "Ziggy":
MOMO:
chaos:
Jr.:
Mary:
Generic Soldier In AGWS:

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #583 on: January 24, 2011, 12:51:33 AM »
Wild ARMs Advanced 3rd:
Virginia Maxwell: 8.5 - Fast, evasive, ends up the best healer and mage in practice. Gatling wrecks things.
Gallows Caradine: 7 - Virginia light for the most part. Better durability, but worse speed. Losing trade to me.
Jet Enduro: 4.5 - Relies entirely on the customizability of the Mediums to be useful.
Clive Winslett: 6 - Damage! Not as overpowering as Raquel's, and Jet can technically do this job too with the right medium setup.

Shion Uzuki: 4.5 - Kinda meh. Half-point for ERDE KAISER!
KOS-MOS: 8.5 - Wreck someone's day.
Luis Virgil: 4 - Sucks as a temp.
Ziggurat 8 "Ziggy": 6 - Damage! That's about it.
MOMO: 7.5 - Gets a lot of utility. Speedy, good mage/healer, has some unique options. Can't remember everything she did, but this may need to be higher.
chaos: 6 - Jesus was a decent PC. Backup healer, decent speed, good elemental coverage.
Jr.: 6.5 - Fast, some good support options and respectable damage.
Mary: I kinda ignored the AGWS aspect of all the PCs, so I'll just go with Abstain here.
Generic Soldier In AGWS: Abstain, same here.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:01:41 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 24, 2011, 03:59:24 AM »
Wild ARMs Advanced 3rd:

Uhh Mediums tended to be way more important than character stats IIRC.  So their special ability + Gatling twinkability were all that kinda set them apart, and I hated using Gatling, so yeah.  Flat curve.

Virginia Maxwell: 6/10 Mystic is a pretty good "oh shit" skill for bosses.  Fast enough to use that MT healing, too.
Gallows Caradine: 6/10 - Uh best mage when magic isn't that great.  Still.
Jet Enduro: 5/10 - Had decent damage and speed but I think only because I set him up to do that.  Accelerate is nothing special.
Clive Winslett: 5/10 - More good damage, but bad speed.  Clip size is a wee bit of an issue early.

XS1's niches were a bit narrow, and the skill-stealing meant that it felt like you could have an A Team of Shion - KOS-MOS - Jr. and a B team with MOMO - Ziggy - chaos.  The B-team are hardly scrubs but they don't feel like they have enough reason to swap 'em in, really.

Shion Uzuki: 7/10 Shion was pretty solid.  Lots of utility, etc.  The fact that I sank ungodly skill points into Spell Ray (safe, she's around most of the time!) meant that she could pretty much OHKO most randoms, too.
KOS-MOS: 7/10 Damage, tankiness, brokenness, etc.
Ziggurat 8 "Ziggy": 5/10 Ziggy's fine, just slow.  The real issue is that he competes directly with KOS-MOS for a slot and Kossy is basically a bit better.  If you had to split the party more, I'd have used him more (not that you don't split up some anyway).
MOMO: 4/10.  MOMO is also fine, with some useful healing + revival + status, just... the durability is bad enough you probably need to back-row her.  And she competes directly with Shion in XS1, who can actually be in the front row.  So yeah.  Not bad but outclassed.
chaos: 5/10  Chaos is also fine.  Gets some MT attacks and all, just Jr. felt a bit better.  (This seems to be a theme.)
Jr.: 6/10 Starts with solid MT physical damage (handy for boss Virgil!).  Is fastish and solid.  Pretty cool.

DNR everyone else.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: January 24, 2011, 04:18:46 AM »
Base stats in WA3 made a huge difference, actually; it's quite different from FF8 in that regard. So I'd say there are pretty large differences between the characters that deserve a significantly wider range than 5-6 for the whole cast unless you think the PC balance was just that amazing.

Wild ARMs Advanced 3rd:
Virginia Maxwell: 8.5/10. Gatling is good, mystic is better, speed and magic are solid too. Lategame you get Zephyr which is enough to OHKO just about anything off her/Gallows' stats but she's much faster.
Gallows Caradine: 7/10. Magic is pretty awesome. Not much to say here. Extend's not bad either. Low speed means he's losing a direct fight with Ginny but still hardly bad.
Jet Enduro: 3.5/10. He can be twinked to be decent, but usually not without costing someone else dearly. He needs a speed-booster to reliably go first, a damage-booster to not look pathetic in that regard, and his magic is unsalvageable. His stat niche is a difficult one to really get a good PC out of, but it's not impossible, and he can play various utility roles off above average speed well enough at worst.
Clive Winslett: 6.5/10. Slooow but really strong. Against things with no elemental weaknesses (before you get Weaken), Clive just has your best damage, and Lock-On means no amount of twinking lets Jet match against bosses. His performance in randoms is less impressive but he still can sometimes pull OHKOs nobody else can, off great accuracy, so it's not a total loss.

Shion Uzuki: She had the best skills but iffy stats (mostly durability). I think 6/10 works here.
KOS-MOS: 8.5/10. Smashes things very badly. Had way more damage than anyone else much of the time, and probably game-best durability to boot. She's also the game's best healer if you want her to do that! Speed's not wonderful, but otherwise, good stuff.
Luis Virgil: DNR.
Ziggurat 8 "Ziggy": 4.5/10. Seemed to often kinda underwhelm on speed and damage. Durability at least, and had points where his damage was at least decent (nice elemental variety is something).
MOMO: 4/10. Awful durability without the great skillset Shion brings. Her offence gets quite good late but it's not amazing and you have to get her there.
chaos: 4/10. Kinda overall meh in most regards.
Jr.: 6/10. Would be unremarkable except ranged physical spoils certain enemy types and only he and MOMO get it. And he gets more of it / can actually take a hit or two.
Mary: DNR.
Generic Soldier In AGWS: DNR.

Pretty much agree on Snowfire's comments re: A team and B team in this game.

Maybe.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 24, 2011, 05:18:51 AM »
Meeple: I approve of WA rankings

Wild ARMs Advanced 3rd:
Virginia Maxwell: 9/10. The thing with Wild ARMS 3 is that Virginia and Jet have the better speed. Clive and Gallows have better power. Virginia however gets the better end of the deal because of Mystic, variable Gatling and speed that is notably above average. A little frail on raw durability, but she has evade so not even that tends to slow her down. Great on support for bosses and spoils randoms something fierce.
Gallows Caradine: 7/10. Extension has some neat effects, but losing speed by a notable margin to Virginia hurts its use. Magic also isn't as twinkable post game, although its more twinkable main game. Hm...7 probably works out. Also has best HP so he can soak a hit or two.
Jet Enduro: 4.5/10. Jet's actually not terrible, but his stats are spread out too thin across the board and doesn't specialize in something that can be taken advantage of. At his absolute worst though, he's worth another copy of your best PC by being the best Replay man. At his best...he's capable of going before Clive and dealing better ST physical damage without sacrificing FP. Sadly, this isn't something he gets to take advantage often. Accelerator is also rarely used but has a couple of notable combos (Accelerator/Escape for example)
Clive Winslett: 7/10. Best physical attacking PC with strong growths across the board at the cost of absolutely unsalvagable speed. Really strong and your best PC when enemies don't have elemental weaknesses. And when Weaken comes by, you can afford picking up Comet Mark shortly after to tip the scales back even. Physicals are more twinkable post-game though. Lock-On is neat, but again, not as valuable as the MT Force abilities. He ends up probably about the same as Gallows in practice for me. He has a few other advantages (and Gallows likewise) but I don't think it lets either of them edge past the other.

Shion Uzuki: 6/10. NEB's hit the nail on the head. Think her damage may also be iffy, but its been a while since I played XS1
KOS-MOS: 8/10. Significantly better than most others across the board. Speed's a drawback but she's a killer
Ziggurat 8 "Ziggy": 4/10. Needs better speed. Oh well, at least he had HP!
MOMO: 3/10. Ew. Not her best form ever (she's notably better in other XSes). She has speed, but the damage and durability are suck in a can starting out. She gains a few utility options with her transformations that no one else does. So I guess that's something .
chaos: 3/10. Also kinda terrible. Well he has more durability, but I recall his damage being even worse than MOMO against non-Gnosis things.
Jr.: 7/10. Is behind KOS, but has some notable advantages (ranged physicals for one of the best Bravesoul users, earliest MT tech I think) that the others don't which bring him out slightly ahead. His skillset is decent enough to get him to a 7.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 24, 2011, 01:18:22 PM »
Wild ARMs Advanced 3rd:

Virginia Maxwell: 9/10. Game-best stat spread already gives her a mile on her colleagues. Solid magic+game-best speed (I think Elfboy kinda undersells it here - "solid" doesn't really cover speed that's "I get outsped by like twenty enemies throughout the whole game at fucking base"-level)+Mystic is a great niche for the midgame, where she starts GT OHKOing randoms she hits weakness on by the time she hits L25 off self-renewing resources that can even be sold for extra bucks. Mystic is also your best healing no questions asked, and she also has one of the most brutal twinking setups for bosses in 10-shot Valiant Gatling. Lategame, Phantasmic Heart almost uniformly MT OHKOs randoms even without magic twinkery on her side to boot. Her awesome speed also lets her cover buffing/utility very well in a pinch too. Her only problem is the suspect durability against things she can't dodge, and -that- she can fix easily. She covers the most niches without stepping on anyone's toes and none of her woes are unsalvageable in the least, so she's pretty easily the game's best PC.

Gallows Carradine: 7/10. Magic is just cool in WA3. Gallows sorta lags in the early game, but he grows into a potent force rather quietly - Extension is great for utility, his game-best magic grows even further with the right medium setups and nobody summons/hits weaknesses as hard as he does. His game-best HP also makes him pretty durable, which is neat. Only the shoddy speed really brings him down, and it's not unsalvageable like Clive's.

Jet Enduro: 4/10. Hi whatever boy. His stat spread is built in a way that he can't be made good in any niche without stopping other PCs from doing better - WA3 just rewards specialization to a huge degree. On the other hand, he certainly can play the utility role pretty well given the solid speed, and given how much shit Ginny can already do, taking -that- niche from her is hardly going to hurt her crazy performance. Probably his best use, and that makes him an okay utility body.

Clive Winslett: 6.5/10. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamage. Fails at speed hardcore, but he's just too good at scoring ST OHKOs and mocks evasion with a vengeance. His offensive performance is probably the biggest deterrent to making Jet's physical side good in a sense: Jet can -never- come close to Clive damage due to Lock-on and a vast difference in both ATK and ACC.

Shion Uzuki: 6.5/10. The skillset rules and should be passed off like candy to everybody. The stats kinda suck, though.

KOS-MOS: 8/10. Has everything but speed. The skillset, while not worth being passed around for the most part, is good for bosses and the offense is unsurpassed. Game-best durability in practice (less HP and maybe defense than Ziggy, but more MDef and notably more evasion) is also great and she makes an awesome healer with her solid EAtk stat and excellent survivability. Speed could use some work, but is fixable enough without much tapdancing, since she's one point from average.

Luis Virgil: DNR.

Ziggurat 8 "Ziggy": 4/10. Oddly, I felt his elemental variety sucked. Slash/Pierce/Fire-reliant and nothing else really worth noting. He did get MT rather early, though, and his durability is solid, so he is fairly competent for the earlygame.

MOMO: 4/10. Can't really justify any higher. The durability really sucks and the skillset is awful. She does benefit a lot from skill passing, since the EAtk is great and so is the speed, and I ended up using her anyway. But she has issues.

chaos: 3/10. Has nothing worth noting besides game-worst MT healing. Aura element would be nice if it didn't often overlap with Beam, which KOS covers with a vengeance, and his offense is pretty unremarkable.

Jr.: 6/10. Generally not bad - durability could be better but isn't awful and his offense stats are solid. His ranged physical game is nice and he emphasizes MT like nobody else, being able to hit both defenses and multiple niche elements with it, which is nice. Skillset has a couple cool ideas, but is generally unnotable.

Mary: DNR.

Generic Soldier In AGWS: DNR.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:25:52 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 25, 2011, 09:29:26 AM »
Wild ARMs Advanced 3rd:
Virginia Maxwell: 8/10 Her bad hp is really noticeable early on with her really dragging the party down against Janus (The first and last human form). However after that she just takes off.
Gallows Caradine: 5/10 - Magic fails early on and then when you can get it good physicals are better anyway. Good hp combined with lowish physical defence means he is the easiest to Valiant abuse if you want to use it but don't want to bother too much. Also that physical damage is pure fail.
Jet Enduro: 4/10 - Okay everywhere except in magic where is horrible. He really doesn't need Accelerate also so he is the only one without a useful skill.
Clive Winslett: 7/10 - The damage the damage oh god the damage. Speed is a non issue in a turn based game like this to me as he can't be outsped to the point the enemy gets more turns and funnily enough there is a bonus boss he reduces to complete fail due to his horrible speed.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 30, 2011, 02:06:59 PM »
Noms for future ranking sessions!  Persona 4, Wild ARMs: The Fourth Detonator, Soul Nomad, Persona 3!

Virginia Maxwell: 9/10.  Character sucks, but hard to deny her uses.
Gallows Caradine: 9/10.  Better character, still has good uses!  His magic focus is awesome, and while his speed is nowhere near as good, it's still good enough.
Jet Enduro: 5/10.  Can be made to do anything well enough, but doesn't excel.  Hard to give that less than a 5. 
Clive Winslett: 6/10.  Feel like he's less useful than I used to feel.  Great early, falls late.

Shion Uzuki: 4/10.  Level 19 when the rest are 42!?  lol.  Anyway, her skillset is best given to others, though that necessitates using her.  A huge liability in the Tiamat fight!  Erde Kaiser is nice but...useful on what, 2 bosses?  I suppose it can be used to obliterate randoms, but...eh.  Not that helpful by that point in the game.  Her attacks are neat, but...eh.  Rain Blade is kind of late, and Gravity Well and Ether Amp are a bit limited (ST, OPB).
KOS-MOS: 9/10.  Does everything well.
Luis Virgil: 6/10.  Durable, does solid damage, really has no skillset, but it doesn't matter by that point.
Ziggurat 8 "Ziggy": 6/10.  Elemental variety is awesome, and he has ok support skills.  Executioner is actually pretty good, and his durability is nice.  Needs a speed boost, though.
MOMO: 6/10.  Using her the entire game...she has uses.  Frail as sin, but has a lot of evasion.  She's also fast.  Makes a great support character, although her transformations are vaguely useless.  Still, MT damage, and cool weapons (though late) help.
chaos: 6/10.  Wish his ethers were better.  They're very...situational.  On the other hand, his techs are awesome, and have a lot of variety.  And are pretty strong - Arctic Blast and Heaven's Wrath in particular.  He's also pretty durable overall.  Hates the variable elemental defenses in the game, but is otherwise decent, and a great person to put better ethers on.
Jr.: 8/10.  Bravesoul + Angelic Requiem, while late, demolishes every random.  Misty also disables some of the nasty randoms at points.  MT physical damage is awesome, even if he is a bit one-dimensional.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 30, 2011, 11:25:10 PM »
Wild ARMs Advanced 3rd:
Virginia Maxwell: 8.5/10.  Would be higher, but it does take a little bit of time for her to get going, as early game she's distinctively unimpressive outside of the speed; she's fast, but lack of FP and limited Mediums means she doesn't have much to do it with.  OF COURSE, that's only the early game, and she's great the rest of the way through.
Gallows Caradine: 6/10.  Speed isn't completely unsalvage-able, but generally not worth boosting it.  Otherwise, he's one of your main sources of damage, back up MT damage and healer, as well as some niche things like MT Valiant.  High HP is cool too of course.
Jet Enduro: 4/10.  As was said, not horrible, but he's really just kind of a warmbody who fills in all those "miscellaneous" roles cause his stats don't really support any build well enough.  At least he's got good enough speed that he can be twinked to outspeed enemies reliably, making him a good item boy.
Clive Winslett: 7/10.  Good damage from start to finish; bad speed isn't nice, making him iffy on randoms, but generally, when he goes, something dies, and he's probably your main source of damage against bosses outside of 10 Shot Gatling from Ginny post Valiant.

Shion Uzuki: 6/10.  Decent support skills, iffy stats.
KOS-MOS: 8.5/10.  Tank with high damage, of both kinds, ST and MT.  Speed could use a little work, but that's her only real flaw.
Luis Virgil: DNR.  BETTER HP THAN ZIGGY! SHITTY AT EVERYTHING ELSE!  Also not around long enough to realistically rate.
Ziggurat 8 "Ziggy": 4/10.  Tank whose worse than KOS MOS in like everyway, so its hard to justify using him.
MOMO: 3/10.  She's got game best speed, but her Game Worst HP stands out far more, and she doesn't really do much to make up for it, like a strong skill set; she wishes high evade was more significant in this game.
chaos: 3.5/10.  Feels like a MOMO with better durability, in the grand scheme of things.  That's...really not worth all that much, but I guess it earns him a half a point or something?
Jr.: 7/10.  Ranged Physicals are really damned nice against some enemies, and he doesn't really have any noteworthy flaws outside of that.  Granted, he doesn't have any real noteworthy STRENGTHS beyond that too, but hey, being overall average with one selling point is pretty good in this game.
Mary: DNR.  Yeah, she kicks ass in the one section she's in due to a forced AGWS, but she's around for about as long as Vergil, for a sequence that matters about as much.
Generic Soldier In AGWS:  DNR.  For the same reasons as Mary really...pity cause I'd love to give a GENERIC GUY an actual rating.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 12, 2011, 01:02:20 AM »
Wild ARMs Advanced 3rd:
Virginia Maxwell: 8.31
Gallows Caradine: 6.75
Jet Enduro: 4.31
Clive Winslett: 6.38

Shion Uzuki: 5.71
KOS-MOS: 8.21
Luis Virgil: N/A
Ziggurat 8 "Ziggy": 4.71
MOMO: 4.50
chaos: 4.36
Jr.: 6.64
Mary: N/A
Generic Soldier In AGWS: N/A

Best Rating of this session: Virginia w/ 8.31
Worst Rating of this session: Jet w/ 4.31

Top 20 Ratings:
1. Yuna (FFX) 9.80
2. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SH1) 9.53
3. Hyuga "Citan Uzuki" Ricdeau (XG) 9.46
4. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SHC) 9.25
5. Cecilia Lynn Adlehyde (WA1) 9.20
6. Haar (FE10) 9.17
7t. Deis (BoF2) 9.11
7t. Reyson (FE10) 9.11
9. Lenneth Valkyrie (VP(:L)) 9.02
10. Ephraim (FE8) 9.01
11. Elincia (FE10) 8.85
12. Tibarn (FE10) 8.83
13. Rena Lanford (SO2) 8.75
14. Tana (FE8) 8.73
15. Purim (SoM) 8.70
16. Maria Traydor (SO3) 8.68
17. Cidolfas Orlandu (FFT) 8.66
18t. Claude Kenni (SO2) 8.63
18t. Nailah (FE10) 8.63
20. Ike (FE10) 8.58

Top 20 Failures:
1. Tree (FFT) 0.50
2. Karla (FE7) 0.77
3. Chu-chu (XG) 0.85
4. Marlboro (FFT) 0.93
5. Uribo (FFT) 0.94
6. Maria Balthasar (XG) 1.00
7. Malak Golthana (FFT) 1.03
8. Byblos (FFT) 1.06
9. Douglas (FE6) 1.10
10. Skeleton (FFT) 1.13
11. Goblin (FFT) 1.20
12. Astrid (FE10) 1.20
13. Squid (FFT) 1.25
14t. Mime (FFT) 1.28
14t. Lyre (FE10) 1.28
16. Yunno (FE6) 1.35
17. Garret (FE6) 1.36
18t. Mogu (BoF) 1.50
18t. Bomb (FFT) 1.50
20. Noel Chandler (SO2) 1.55

And now we get too...well, to be honest, I knew this day would come, and I tried to hold it off as much as possible...but alas, it looks like I must do it.  So here we go!

Persona 4:
Souji Seta:
Yosuke Hanamura:
Chie Satonaka:
Yukiko Amagi:
Kanji Tatsumi:
Teddie:
Naoto Shirogane:

SaGa Frontier Main Characters:
Asellus:
Blue:
Emelia:
Lute:
Red:
Riki:
T260G:

BONUS ROUND - Rate that Weapon!

Mega Man:
Fire Storm:
Ice Slasher:
Hyper Bomb:
Magnet Beam:
Mega Buster:
Rolling Cutter:
Super Arm:
Thunder Beam:

NOTE: If its not obvious, this is based off the ORIGINAL version; rating based off MMPU does not count.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:22:45 AM by Meeplelard »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 12, 2011, 01:34:28 AM »
Asellus: 8.5/10. Asellus is a very solid human with an extra twist which makes her nearly must-use when available. Her sword list is outstanding and this is a good thing, but having MysticChange to get crazy stats for bosses pushes her to the next level. Her own quest is very human-friendly, to boot (nice weapons, long so they get higher levels, etc.).
Blue: 9.5/10. Spends half the game as Rouge, who to spoil things is probably a 7.5 to an 8 or so. Then lategame kicks in and he's just psychotic, broken everything and can literally bail you out against a tough final boss by himself. So yeah.
Emelia: 8/10 on her own quest, 7/10 otherwise. I'm inclined to rate on base quests, so use that 8. She's got a good sword list regardless, but on her own quest the costume changes allow for the easiest DSC in the game, pretty cool.
Lute: 3/10. The game hates Lute. Bad initial level, weak talent lists, even game-worst stat growth for however much that matters. There's only so bad a Saga human can be, but Lute is that bad.
Red: 8.5/10. Similar situation as Asellus, mostly. His more impressive talent list is fists, rather than swords (not that his sword list is bad). Alkaiser has ups and downs compared to MysticChange, but overall I think he belongs in the same general area.
Riki: Worthless on quests that aren't his own (monster with shitty base stats). On his own he's... better certainly, since the rings offset the main problem monsters have and he's forced long enough to overcome his bad bases, but even then you have better monsters. 4/10.
T260G: 9/10 on her own quest. Mecs have some distinct downsides, but that's really all the holds her back; she can be any mec type you need, and Omega's high stats and brutal boss-killer V-MAX are hard to ignore.

Mega Man:
Fire Storm: 8.5/10. Man that awesome shield and power enough to kill and pierce everything
Ice Slasher: 7/10. Freezing things is cool.
Hyper Bomb: 0.5/10. IF YOU GET IT BEFORE ANY OTHER WEAPON IT HAS USES OVER THE BUSTER ON OCCASION. Otherwise no.
Magnet Beam: 8/10. Great platforming tool.
Mega Buster: 3/10. Bad game for the buster since the weapons are so powerful and not resisted very often.
Rolling Cutter: 5/10. Has moments, like against the final boss, and if you get it early it can certainly outperform the buster in many situations, but generally badly outclassed by the big two.
Super Arm: 2/10. Has some utility. A very little.
Thunder Beam: 9.5/10. Half a point worse than Metal Blade, but good lord.

Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 12, 2011, 02:40:37 AM »

Persona 4:
Souji Seta: 10/10. Does everything reasonably well. The MT physical tecs are a godsend, and he's got basically everything available.
Yosuke Hanamura: 7.5/10. Very solid PC. Good fighter/mage with a great stat spread. Likes that Wind is a common weakness.
Chie Satonaka: 6/10. It hink her midgame lag period is overhated, as she has MT physicals which are awesome. Good stats, good equips! She is however a pretty terrible mage, and she spends about 20 levels in between getting good moves.
Yukiko Amagi: 7/10. You've got to have a healer, and she's the best. Not only does she have the ability to max her S-link early, she gets an SP boosting fan which helps as well. Poor stats hurt, which is pretty typical for P4 healers.
Kanji Tatsumi: 3/10. Slow, ST, bad mage. *flush*
Teddie: 6/10. Loses a point for having a slow S link. The buff game's neat on paper, but in practice you tend to use those for bosses and you usually want Teddie healing there.
Naoto Shirogane: 3/10. Bad damage and frail. Not a good combo.

Asellus: 9/10
Blue: 10/10. Is Blue.
Emelia:  7/10
Lute: 3/10
Red: 9/10
Riki: 1/10
T260G: 9/10
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 12, 2011, 07:25:53 AM »
Asellus: 8.5/10 - Could go to nine depending on how I feel on any given day.
Blue: 9.5/10 - I'm not in a generous mood. The early game is enough to drag him away by perfection, but only by a cat's whisker.
Emelia: 6/10. Competent.
Lute: 2/10. Junk.
Red: 8.5/10 Asellus 2.0. Alkaiser is better than MysticChange but harder to use. I'll call it a wash.
Riki: 2/10. Tripe.
T260G: 5/10. Admittedly not a mech fan.

Mega Man: 10/10. Defeats Doctor Wily. Go go Megaman!
Fire Storm: 7/10. Good weapon that's overshadowed.
Ice Slasher: 5/10. Okay.
Hyper Bomb: 1/10. Pfft.
Magnet Beam: 10/10. Really useful and essential.
Mega Buster: 5/10. Average as always.
Rolling Cutter: 3.5/10. Ugh.
Super Arm: 1/10. Situational at best.
Thunder Beam: 10/10. Yeah, it's that good. It's not quite as good as Metal Blade but it's all relative. Sure, Supermodel A might be slightly hotter than Supermodel B, but they're both 10s. Same idea.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 26, 2011, 04:58:51 AM »
Asellus: 9/10
Blue: 9.5/10
Emelia: 6/10
Lute: 2/10
Red: 7/10
Riki: 2/10
T260G: 7/10

Mega Man:
Fire Storm: 10/10
Ice Slasher: 5/10
Hyper Bomb: 1/10
Magnet Beam: 7/10
Mega Buster: 5/10
Rolling Cutter: 5.5/10
Super Arm: 1/10
Thunder Beam: 10/10
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 26, 2011, 05:06:23 AM »
Persona 4: Don't feel confident enough to do this so...

Asellus: 8.5/10.  Yeah, good all round character, etc.  If fights in SaGa weren't so Ball Lightningy, I'd rate her higher.
Blue: 9.5/10.  Good most of the game, broken end game.  Not broken long enough to be a 10 though.
Emelia: 8/10.  Asellus w/out Mystic Change.  Half a point extra, however, for her own quest and the flexibility she gets from it, but she's in so many quests, I feel its appropriate to treat her generic side too.
Lute: 3/10.  He sucks.  Would be lower but you can get him really early thus a warm body when you may not have better options at the time or something!
Red: 8.5/10.  Alkaiser is awesome, but limited...yeah, works for same score as Asellus.
Riki: 3/10.  Monsters kind of suck, don't really feel he deserves credit for Rings cause anyone can use them in his quest.
T260G: 9/10.  Mecs are awesome, and she's especially awesome in her own quest.  Being a gimmicky Mec in other quests (7 equip slots?!!?) is worth something too.

Mega Man:
Fire Storm: 9/10.  Really good.
Ice Slasher: 4/10.  Only really useful on those jumping guys in the beginning of Wily 1, otherwise you're better off just killing enemies.
Hyper Bomb: 1/10. Garbage.
Magnet Beam: 7/10.  Good platforming tool.
Mega Buster: 5/10.  The definition of average weapon in an MM game.
Rolling Cutter: 6/10.  Stronger and piercing relative to Mega Buster offsets the lower range.
Super Arm: 2/10.  No real practical application, and to make matters worse?  Its not even a REQUIRED weapon like most demolition weapons are cause...
Thunder Beam: 9.5/10.  Of this little broken gem.  I do struggle to give it a 10/10 cause the weapon can only be fired once at a time, and combined with being slow, missing can be annoying...though you usually do NOT miss cause of its wide hit area which is why I only dock half a point.  Also doesn't have the complete coverage of the Metal Blade, not hitting angles.  Still absolutely ridiculous.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #597 on: February 26, 2011, 02:15:23 PM »
Wow, I can't believe I hadn't done this set yet!

Persona 4:
Souji Seta: 10 - Does everything.
Yosuke Hanamura: 6 - works really well in the beginning when he's your only warm body, but tapers off in use quickly once Confusion starts getting blocked by everything. If he got even one more level of healing magic, he would have made a decent backup healer.
Chie Satonaka: 7 - Great damage for most of the game, awesome equips and speed.
Yukiko Amagi: 8.5 - the highest a non-Souji PC could hope for. You need a healer, and Yukiko's the best.
Kanji Tatsumi: 6 - usable! Slow, but damage is damage and unless you like Yosuke's build or are really attached to ID, he's your best bet for a fourth.
Teddie: 8 - Can replace Yukiko, but why? And you should never need them both thanks to Souji existing.
Naoto Shirogane: 6.5 - ID is actually pretty good, but useless for bosses, so I preferred levelling Kanji.

Asellus: 9 - best character in 2 scenarios!
Blue: 9 - best character in the game, but has that limited start and only in one path
Emelia: 8.5 - great in her own path, solid choice in every other path.
Lute: 5 - only so bad a SaGa human can be, but man did they try. 1.5 points for having the talent to learn LifeSprinkler.
Red: 8.5 - Not as good as Asellus or Blue, but better than Amelia... but only available in one path.
Riki: 6 - He's available in a lot of paths and he -does- start with some of the skills needed for BlackDragon, making him a decent Monster. Also, all monsters can get LifeRain and that's useful.
T260G: 9 - Can break the game in half, and widely available.

Man, SaGaF mains are pretty awesome. Despite their suckiness, I still want Lute and Riki ranked ;_;

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 26, 2011, 03:33:22 PM »
Persona 4:
Souji Seta: 10/10 Blahblahblah break game.
Yosuke Hanamura: 8/10 He's fast, getting the first hit or two in the battle can mean the difference between a sweep and losing half your HP.  Does good on both attack stats, has the dodge/hit buff and only has to compete with Souji for wind damage.
Chie Satonaka: 6.5/10 Her ice magic just blows so hard that it's useless for anything other than knockdowns.  Her physical skills make up for that on bosses.
Yukiko Amagi: 8/10 Not losing the weakness didn't hurt as much as some people think so.  Her normal attack sucks as does her assist, but her sky-high magic and healing more than make up for it.
Kanji Tatsumi: 6/10 His magic skills go higher than Chie's but are barely any better.  His physical skills are about even, and he's a total defense tank.
Teddie: 7/10 Actual damaging Ice magic!  Healing!  Buffs!  But since Teddie has so much to do and he takes forever to get his upgraded persona, his weakness actually has an effect.  His SP also isn't designed to hold out towards all the casting he'll need to do.
Naoto Shirogane: 2/10 HAHAHAHAHHAHA, oh shit you bad.  Expensive as shit ID where you're better off using weakness.  Completely useless on bosses except for extremely expensive non-elemental damage that blows on actually hurting things.  Last party member.  Obnoxious Social link.  Shitty personas in her link. So much hate.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #599 on: February 26, 2011, 06:38:55 PM »
Persona 4:
Souji Seta: 9/10.  Does whatever you need him to, but never achieves the same level of "the rest of the party is redundant" status Minato did.
Yosuke Hanamura: 7/10.  Good utility man, Wind is a nice safe element I found.
Chie Satonaka: 4/10.  She does eventually get good, but I feel like it's a long wait to get there, and she's an active liability in the early going when you must have her in the party.
Yukiko Amagi: 6/10.  Healing is good, but directly comparing her and Teddie she definitely feels weaker in a few ways.
Kanji Tatsumi: 6/10.  I think?  I didn't use him much.
Teddie: 7/10.  For example, he's much more MT-oriented, starts with Mediarama and gets the MT buffs.
Naoto Shirogane: 3/10.  I just don't see a point to a dedicated random-smasher at that stage in the game.  You're bound to have superior options on Souji by then.

Asellus: 8/10.  Yeaaaah, why wouldn't you abuse Asellus.
Blue: 8/10.  He jumps from a 7 to a 10 in the endgame, endgame is kinda short so.
Emelia: 7/10.  Based on other quests, didn't get to her own.  ANyway, just good, nothing really to discourage you from using her.
Lute: No vote, didn't use.
Red: 8/10.  Doesn't quite veer into gamebreaker territory.
Riki: No vote, didn't use.
T260G: No vote, didn't use.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.