imageRegister

Author Topic: Project Diva F song rankings  (Read 3239 times)

Tonfa

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Project Diva F song rankings
« on: August 18, 2014, 11:06:51 PM »
vanity project for 5 people let's go

List the Project Diva F songs, from top to bottom. You may take the full audiovisual experience into consideration. "Recommended" modules for the videos are included in the (english subbed, mostly no chance time event) youtube links. Don't feel limited to using these for judging purposes if you have played the game. It's a daunting task, feel free to do partial posts and edit as you see fit.

Full list of songs (not my votes):

Cat Food
Secret Police
Melancholic
Weekender Girl
Time Machine
DYE
Fire◎Flower
Summer Idol
ACUTE
Urbandonment
What Do You Mean!?
Stay With Me
Hm? Ah, Yes.
Remote Controller
Ashes to Ashes
World's End Umbrella
Freely Tomorrow
Monochrome∞Blue Sky
Glasses
Kagamine HachiHachi Flower Fight
World's End Dance Hall
The MMORPG Addict's Anthem
Nostalogic
Nyanyanyanyanyanyanya!
Unhappy Refrain
Odds & Ends
Tengaku
God-Tier Tune
Black★Rock Shooter
Negaposi*Continues
Sadistic.Music∞Factory
Continuing Dream
Tell Your World
Tokyo Teddy Bear
Dream-Eating Monochrome Baku
Sweet Devil
Rin-chan Now!
Senbonzakura

All are available on this channel.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: Project Diva F song rankings
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 11:23:50 PM »
1. Senbonzakura
2. Negaposi*Continues
3. The MMORPG Addict's Anthem
4. Remote Controller
5. Odds & Ends
6. Kagamine HachiHachi Flower Fight
7. Time Machine
8. Melancholic
9. Monochrome∞Blue Sky
10. Black★Rock Shooter
11. Urbandonment
12. Glasses
13. Rin-chan Now!
14. Tell Your World
15. Tengaku
16. Tokyo Teddy Bear
17. World's End Umbrella
18. What Do You Mean!?
19. Fire◎Flower
20. Continuing Dream
21. Summer Idol
22. Nyanyanyanyanyanyanya!
23. Freely Tomorrow
24. God-Tier Tune
25. Sadistic.Music∞Factory
26. ACUTE
27. DYE
28. Hm? Ah, Yes.
29. Dream-Eating Monochrome Baku
30. Weekender Girl
31. Cat Food
32. Nostalogic
33. Ashes to Ashes
34. Sweet Devil
35. Stay With Me
36. Unhappy Refrain
37. World's End Dance Hall
38. Secret Police

Some more specific notes on songs.

1. Senbonzakura - An intricate and powerful piece of music that uses parallel fourths a lot and actually makes it work.  Also tons of fun to play.

2. Negaposi*Continues

3. The MMORPG Addict's Anthem

4. Remote Controller - Song not only is a lot of fun to play but also features the most true-to-life depiction of sibling-on-sibling cruelty I have ever seen. It's weird and hilarious and I love it.

5. Odds & Ends - Solidly the best ballad in the game.  They chose wisely using it for the opening video.

6. Kagamine HachiHachi Flower Fight

7. Time Machine

8. Melancholic - Love this song.  The rhythm is just great, and the video works really well.  Wish it didn't do the autotune thing.

9. Monochrome∞Blue Sky

10. Black★Rock Shooter

11. Urbandonment

12. Glasses - I...have no idea why I like this song.  I don't think it has much redeeming value but somehow I find it very charming.

13. Rin-chan Now! - I think the hyperactive celebrity stalker song is hilarious.  Maybe there's something wrong with me.

14. Tell Your World - wish they would ditch the autotune, but even with that defect it's a lovely song. they totally nail the end with the typing sound over the crescendo in the baseline.

15. Tengaku - would probably be higher but the bright red backgrounds hurt my eyes when I play it.

16. Tokyo Teddy Bear - uptempo, rockin' baseline, delightful video.

17. World's End Umbrella - Would be higher but it reminds me of Windaria, probably my least favorite anime movie ever.

18. What Do You Mean!? - Song is a lot of fun, but it's also just a little hard to listen to.  Would it have killed them to have cranked it down a key or two?

19. Fire◎Flower

20. Continuing Dream - This song is so lame its lameness exceeds 255 and wraps around to being kinda awesome.

21. Summer Idol

22. Nyanyanyanyanyanyanya! - I enjoy this more than I should.  Probably because it is so fun to play.

23. Freely Tomorrow - Nice song, kinda dull video.

24. God-Tier Tune

25. Sadistic.Music∞Factory - Great job matching the video to the music.  Feels too much like a song developed for a rhythm game, though.

26. ACUTE - I like this because it perfectly encapsulates the Barbie-and-Ken-go-to-a-school-for-the-performing-arts vibe of the game.  But for the same reason it also kinda annoys me.

27. DYE - The melody is nice but it never goes anywhere.  Same goes for the video.

28. Hm? Ah, Yes.

29. Dream-Eating Monochrome Baku

30. Weekender Girl - Pretty nice song, but the video just makes my eyes bleed.

31. Cat Food - Perfectly mediocre.

32. Nostalogic

33. Ashes to Ashes - Should be higher. It's a clever video, the song is technically pretty good, but I just can't stand Kaito's voice for it.

34. Sweet Devil - a song that perfectly executes a style of music I can't stand.

35. Stay With Me - Meiko's voice should not be used in such a high range.  At least not for a crooning ballad.

36. Unhappy Refrain - the music isn't that bad (not that good either, but it's got a nice flow to it) but the costumes annoy me, and playing it on extreme is just pure misery.

37. World's End Dance Hall - the fake Chinese vibe somehow really annoys me, both the setting and the music.

38. Secret Police - has no redeeming value.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:43:06 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 11:30:39 PM »
v o c a l o i d   c u l t u r e

God this is going to be hard. Will complete exact numberings later.

Top Tier
1. Freely Tomorrow
There is so much energy conveyed in this song. I can't pin it down exactly because there is not any one particular thing that stands out but the presentation (both audio and visual) is fantastic and manages to uplift my mood without fail. It isn't over the top, it isn't outlandish, but the singing and rhythm keep me riveted for a long time. It is quintessential diva vocaloid music and the voice quality is great.

2. What Do You Mean!?
Absurdly catchy can't-get-out-of-my-head, involves strange geometric shapes and math and a quizzical looking Miku in a lab coat, what's there not to like. This one's appeal is purely subjective on how often I put it on repeat.

3. Tengaku
There are few more memorable moments than watching Rin rock out with an electric guitar in her schoolgirl outfit and setting a house on fire. Just a gorgeous, high-energy song; there's nothing else quite like it in the track list, which may inflate my opinion of it some but still is no deterrent to rating it this high.

4. The MMORPG Addict's Anthem
My theme song, literally PSO2

High Tier
5. Remote Controller
A fabulous track about siblings torturing each other. Catchy, funny, lyrics are actually something I can follow, composed by Jesus.

6. Summer Idol
Probably the only song in the entire list where I gave significant attention to the lyrics, which are pretty amusing. Oldies-style throwback which, like Tengaku, is unique enough as far as vocaloid tracks go and I tend to be a sucker for duets.

7. Tell Your World
The voice slightly grates on this track on a few sections, but otherwise like Freely Tomorrow I'm a fan of the rhythm and the energy (pretty much the main appeal of any Miku songs to me). Also the video is pretty.

8. Odds & Ends
Great ballad, pretty video, coasts on quality and being fond of the aesthetics of the song's subject matter.

9. Nostalogic
Obligatory M E I K O Richard fanservice. I'm not a big fan of her voice during the high pitch sections but the song certainly has an upbeat I like quite a lot.

10. Kagamine HachiHachi Flower Fight
More sibling combat, the instrument of choice is distinct and works very well with the lyrics, dat riff

11. ACUTE
A tragic tale of a love triangle interrupted by a phone call (which is actually in the song, wtf that drew me off when we were playing it) and ends with shanking. It's three vocaloids and it works pretty great.

Mid Tier
12. Cat Food
I absolutely love the start. That's the only reason it's even up here in the tier, first 20 seconds. The rest of the song works for what it is.

13. World's End Dance Hall
Unlike Jim I found the faux Chinese to be just amusing, and the lyrics are self-aware and don't take themselves seriously at all. It's definitely helped a lot by the fact that it's way too easy (and funny) to alter the video with different models >_>

14. Dream-Eating Monochrome Baku
90% of this is Len being dapper as fuck as he EATS YO DREAMS

15. Time Machine
This song is so Key. Like I don't know how else to describe it. I also played too much Key so I have a soft spot for that thing.

16. Monochrome∞Blue Sky
17. Fire◎Flower
18. Senbonzakura
19. Secret Police
20. Ashes to Ashes
21. Unhappy Refrain
22. Negaposi*Continues
23. Melancholic

Low Tier
24. DYE
25. Tokyo Teddy Bear
26. Stay With Me
27. Glasses
28. Continuing Dream
29. Rin-chan Now!
30. God-Tier Tune
31. Hm? Ah, Yes.
32. Weekender Girl
33. Black★Rock Shooter
34. Sweet Devil
35. Urbandonment

Kappa Tier
36. Sadistic.Music∞Factory
37. World's End Umbrella
38. Nyanyanyanyanyanyanya!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:57:10 AM by Laggy »
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Tonfa

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 11:40:59 PM »
EXCELLENTxEXCELLENT

1. Tengaku
High energy rocking, catchy, a touch melancholic, it's the perfect Richard recipe. Also Rin is the most metal vocaloid and that will never not be funny.

2. Dream-Eating Monochrome Baku
Very unique style I haven't really heard elsewhere. Catchiest song in a game full of catchy songs and features dapper Len in a great deal with the devil story, what's not to love? WELCOME TO MONOCHROME WORLD

3. Ashes to Ashes
No shock, I like super overwrought/fabulous/elegant stuff like this. I especially like how the voice interacts with the melody, the crescendo with multiple voice tracks overlaid is interesting. Yeah, RIP.

4. Nostalogic
Meiko's voice used well, extremely catchy, sweet song. Also I feel like I'm giving half a point for the clever title play.

5. ACUTE
Speaking of fabulous and theatric (this appears to be Kaito's thing in the game), this hits every single spot in that particular part of my brain. There's a lot of delightful things going on in the background of the melody. Only downside is Miku and Luka sound too similar in this.

6. Tokyo Teddy Bear
The better of the two angry melancholy songs in the game. Lovely aesthetics, too.

7. Remote Controller
I think this was surgically created to be caught in your head, it succeeded and sounds damn good while at it. Also sibling_cruelty.avi

EXCELLENT

8. Sadistic.Music∞Factory
I've got an affinity for well done chaotic. While not EXEC_DESPEDIA/., I still love this. Also adore how the button prompts interact with the video. Definitely benefits for being made for a rhythm game.

9. Secret Police
Yeah it goes nowhere, but who cares when it's great all the time. The fun police approves.

10. Sweet Devil
Originally did not like this at all but it has grown on me to an absurd degree. Shifting it back down a few ranks though, it's not quite -that- great. I'd be remiss to not mention the real official version. Do you love sweet devil?

11. Fire◎Flower
I dunno, just some sentimental part of my brain really likes it for some reason.

12. Kagamine HachiHachi Flower Fight
Stands out, super catchy, as usual for based kagamines

13. DYE
I like the techno-ish? sound, the video, and have an affinity for adorable engrish. The color changes under the influence of private life.

GREAT

14. Senbonzakura
Just really, really technically good. I don't have a special sentiment for it is the reason it's not higher.

15. World's End Dance Hall
In a land far away, two girls prepare for battle

16. The MMORPG Addict's Anthem
laggy.flv, very good, butan mash part is a questionable inclusion though

17. What Do You Mean!?
The instrumental sections are really great and the song is catchy too.

18. Melancholic
The most melancholic song in the world.

19. Stay With Me
Meiko really shouldn't go that high, but otherwise I like it plenty. If the voice didn't break I would bump this up a tier or two. Hella sweet instrumental section in the middle. Edit: Screw it, go past the tier line for effort anyway, I'm much more likely to listen to this than the below ones

STANDARD

20. Unhappy Refrain
This one just feels slightly too bleak and depressing despite some really good stuff in there.

21. Summer Idol
Catchy enough.

22. Tell Your World
Good mikupop, it's growing on me as I listen to it more. I do have to note I adore how whether you succeed the Chance Time completely changes the feel of the ending

23. Rin-chan Now!
I agree with Jim, except there's nothing wrong with me. (^ω^ ≡ ^ω^) oh oh oh oh

24. Freely Tomorrow
Good mikupop.

25. Time Machine
The middle minute is very good, otherwise eh.

26. Weekender Girl
Mikupop. Doesn't flow as well as the other examples.

27. Hm? Ah, Yes.
It's different. Doesn't quite reach up to its potential.

28. Urbandonment
Tremendous word. Okay song, it's growing on me some.

LOUSY

29. God-Tier Tune
Bonus point for being hilarious with certain modules and characters.

30. Odds & Ends
Just can't get into it.

31. Monochrome∞Blue Sky
Ehh.

32. Cat Food
Definition of average. Disjointed.

33. Negaposi*Continues
The beepy soundscape just doesn't work for me.

34. Black★Rock Shooter
Seems like I'm just not into Ryo. Weird jerky progression.

DROPxOUT

35. World's End Umbrella
There are some nice spots, but it's mostly loud and blaring. Don't dig the anime aesthetic either.

36. Continuing Dream
I want to like the sentiment, but the execution is just the most boring ED type song imaginable. Also where the hell are Kaito and Meiko, c'mon

37. Nyanyanyanyanyanyanya!
Grating.

38. Glasses
[breathing intensifies]

toro explains it all: http://pastebin.com/VeSbmav6
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:53:05 PM by Tonfa »

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 09:00:56 AM »
Having not played the game, my only real thought is what the hell did they butcher The World End Umbrella for?  That new version is just lacking so much of what the original had going for it.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 09:03:30 AM »
I dunno but it is bad and my music opinion is supreme so we can agree that we are superior human beings
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 10:00:03 AM »
Odds & Ends
Secret Police
Freely Tomorrow
Tengaku
The MMORPG Addict's Anthem
Tokyo Teddy Bear
Weekender Girl
What Do You Mean!?
Unhappy Refrain
Sadistic.Music∞Factory
Senbonzakura
Summer Idol
Melancholic
Monochrome∞Blue Sky
Remote Controller
Kagamine HachiHachi Flower Fight
Nostalogic
Time Machine
Tell Your World
Rin-chan Now!
Cat Food
Hm? Ah, Yes.
Black★Rock Shooter
Urbandonment
World's End Dance Hall
God-Tier Tune
Negaposi*Continues
Nyanyanyanyanyanyanya!
Continuing Dream
Glasses
ACUTE
Dream-Eating Monochrome Baku
Ashes to Ashes
Fire◎Flower
World's End Umbrella
Sweet Devil
Stay With Me
DYE
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:37:29 AM by Talaysen »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 10:13:10 AM »
Just dropping three PVs here, that I found to have more flavor in the original PVs they original came from.

Melancholic
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm10444862
It should be obvious this is a very different take from the Diva's happy go luck presentation.

WORLD'S END UMBRELLA
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm9639869
Despite the animation in the Diva game is infinitely superior, it left out a really important detail, which is the actual content of that picture book.

Monochrome∞Blue Sky
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm10150980
Again, the Diva's PV is infinitely superior in quality. Yet, this is one of those I can't help but feel the Diva one over did it.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 05:34:57 PM »
Hey lets do this.

EDIT: FINE, sorted within the sections as well. Are you happy now RICHARD?

Top Five
1. Tengaku - Definitely my favorite song from the game. Tonfa covers the why perfectly.
2. Tokyo Teddy Bear - I didn't take to this one much early, but been listening to the songs more lately and it just keeps creeping up in my ratings. Rin-chan superiority in the top two, it seems.
3. The MMORPG Addict's Anthem - Laggy/10.
4. World's End Dance Hall - No comment, just really good.
5. Dream-Eating Monochrome Baku - I played most of the songs on easy, and this one is the one I remember the most. I got so into the rhythm that I was one note from perfecting it without realizing it. Super catchy song.

Good
6t. Senbonzakura
6t. Remote Controller
8. Weekender Girl
9. Negaposi*Continues - The amount of Richard pain this caused at Laggymeet may have influenced my opinion of the song a bit. Also catchy, so hey.
10. ACUTE
11. Monochrome∞Blue Sky
12. Freely Tomorrow
13. Kagamine HachiHachi Flower Fight - With my usual taste in music, this should be annoying to me, but somehow I like it instead? Eh, whatever.
14. Odds & Ends
15. Tell Your World
16. What Do You Mean!?
17. Black★Rock Shooter - After some more listening, Black Rock Shooter moves up a notch to Good.

Okay
18. Summer Idol
19. Secret Police - And Secret Police moves down a notch to Okay.
20. Ashes to Ashes
21. Time Machine
22. Hm? Ah, Yes. - Instruments carry this one, the singing is solidly meh. But the tune is great.
23. Fire◎Flower
24. Urbandonment
25. World's End Umbrella
26. Unhappy Refrain

Meh
27. Melancholic - Not bad, just forgettable.
28. Cat Food - Dunno why this song fails to stick with me. When I actively attempt to pay attention to it, it's not bad, but it just fails to hold my attention at all.
29. Nostalogic - I want to like something that the token adult character does, but yeesh. Better than Stay With Me at least, but not enough to make it up to the above section.
30. Sweet Devil
31. God-Tier Tune
32. Continuing Dream - Nope, doesn't manage lameness underflow to good, just meh.
33. Stay With Me

Actively Bad
34. Glasses.
35. DYE - Two of your solos in the bottom tier? Get your shit together, Luka
36. Rin-chan Now! - This one is funny enough, but....as far as being "music" goes, it's bad.
37. Nyanyanyanyanyanyanya!
38. Sadistic.Music∞Factory - This is basically forceful ear violation. Do not want.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:14:55 PM by Gatewalker »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Tonfa

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 09:33:20 PM »
Completed(?) my list. Really enjoying everyone's lists and PV links here.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 12:14:04 AM »
Slam Dunk Awesomesauce Winners Tier:  The top three are definitely head and shoulders above the rest.

1.  DYE - Top tier.  Huge standout.  I really, really like the texturing and tempo here and how it meshes with the video and voice used, especially the breakdown around 1:30.  And the ending!  Also props for the primarily english lyrics, that's hard to do with Vocaloid.  And the lyrics are even somewhat listenable instead of completely bland lovepop.  Writing this cold, I expect to see this ranking somewhat low on most people's lists but I really loved it.  Now I'm checking the listings and... yeah as expected most people have it as bottom tier or even dead last.  Coming back after finishing the list?  Yeah, definitely deserves top billing.  Gets the nod over Sadistic due to attempting seriousness rather than comedy, and succeeding.
2.  Sadistic.Music∞Factory - Finally, this far down the list, something appears to challenge DYE for top tier status.  Percussion focus?  Drum and bass-ish?  Heavy vox alteration?  Rhythm and tempo switches?  A video playing up all these things?  Yes please, this is much more my style of music than... pretty much everything on the list.  Obviously the video is game-ish but the music really isn't, other than in genre.  I listen to this sort of thing all the time.  As previously mentioned, the top two are incredibly close and I'd put this on top if they had gone more all in on SHODAN-Miku instead of easing up for comedy.  (Google "Calne Ca" sometime and you'll see what I mean.  Or don't, if you're at work or enjoy sleeping at night.)
3.  Dream-Eating Monochrome Baku - Singlehandedly justifies Len's existence and then some.  Hard violin riffs, dapper dancing, lyrics that actually go somewhere?  Great song, great video.  Not enough personal appeal to match the top two, but clearly on top of everything else.  This song is just great.

Excellent Tier: Also loved these, will listen to repeatedly.

4.  ACUTE - Kaito's voice is bad and drags this one down some, but the music and video are very strong.  Blatant favoritism points for the gothic stained glass style, I am shameless in my preferences.
5.  Hm? Ah, Yes - Ooh.  I dig it.  Music is just "good" here but the vocals are quite strong and out of the ordinary for Miku.  Also the video is good.  Miku is sexually frustrated, so she blows up a castle with the power of her voice.  Ok then.
6.  Tokyo Teddy Bear - Bears in the basket, user "Laggy."  This song does its own thing, feels like an actual music video and does not care one iota if you expected more robot pop.  Still has its flaws, but guts and a strong style propel it very high on my scale. 
7.  Glasses - After noticing toro's rant about this song I was expecting the worst.  But... I liked it.  Didn't think it was particularly creepy, the breathing part made me laugh.  Unlike a lot of the other songs on the list, the singing girl clearly has the agency in what's going on.  The music was actively good and well produced, like Urbandonment just below there's no robot sound going on and like Hm Ah Yes above it has a nice focus on a much lower register.

Not Excellent But Better Than Good Tier: These two are similar and kind of on their own here.

8.  Urbandonment - Shaky initial ranking and mainly on the strength of the video, which is better than the backing song.  It does have good lyrics and production though, doesn't sound robot much at all.  Coming back to it I still like it a lot.
9.  Senbonzakura - Generically good song, not outstanding but reasonably interesting and fun.  What is this even supposed to be about though?  WW2 war crime trials?  I don't even know.

Good Songs Tier: Not as good as the above, but brought +joy to my listening ears.

10.  World's End Dancehall - Generic-ish pop but at least this has good execution and is enjoyable to listen to.  I'm surprised I'm putting it this high but... yeah there aren't really many bad points here other than excessive robotvoice.
11.  Ashes to Ashes - AUGH.  I really, REALLY want to like this more than I do, the style is massive alexbait and the video is the best so far even with the song on mute.  Unfortunately the song probably should be on mute.  Kaito is just bad and the mixing is really off, this sort of song needs a strong lead vocal but for whatever reason the vocals are almost softer than the backing here.  It's up this high -anyway- because if the musical aspects were better it would probably be an easy #1.  But augh.   
12.  Nyanyanyanyanyanyanya! - This song owns and is enjoyable to listen to and this version actually does a lot of interesting things with it.  Get wrecked, bad taste nyan haters.
13.  Negaposi*Continues - Interesting and rather fun to listen to, though it doesn't make a ton of impression.  Reminds me a lot of Wii/Nintendo music, which is surely intentional.

Above Average Songs Tier: Things what have some good points to elevate them.  I wouldn't actively put them on but enjoyed them somewhat.

14.  Summer Idol - Gotta give some props for actually taking the "oldies" style and executing it reasonably well.  Belongs in Grease or Elvis or something.  This is SUCH a Laggy song.  Shoutouts to blatant fanservice.
15.  Rin-chan Now! - Uhhhhh... this... this sure is a song that exists.  Actually it's a pretty good parody song, too bad they didn't bother actually putting it to backing music.  Points for humor though.
16. Tell Your World - [dramatic zoom in on the face of the Dominos Pizza CEO]  And now for the live performance!  Have some fun with Miku! 
17.  Remote Control - This has a lot of good points to it but I'm not thrilled about where it went.  If it stuck more to the driving mechanical style and less to the bratty kid tantrum style I'd like it a lot more.

The Sea of Lukewarm Pop Tier: The generic stuff is mostly lumped in here.

18.  Weekender Girl - Somewhat pleasing to listen to and has a decent video.  Still bland.
19.  Melancholic - Okay.  Don't mind listening to it.  Not a lot else to say.  Very bland.  Rin is cute.
20.  Freely Tomorrow - Okay.  Generic pop.  Miku is funny in the hat but less cute than Rin.
21.  Monochrome∞Blue Sky - Generic pop.  Video is more interesting than the others around here but song slightly worse.
22.  Black★Rock Shooter - Generic pop.  Inoffensive but... completely unsuited to everything I actually know of Black Rock Shooter.  So... ok?
23.  The MMORPG Addict's Anthem - Creates no impression whatsoever.  Video is amusing but less so than Monochrome Blue Sky.

Bad But With Some Good Points Tier: Like the name says.

24.  Stay With Me - Very interesting song.  Really not sure about the ranking.  Shows off Meiko in both a very good and very bad way.  The normal register is great, but then most of the song is high register which is REALLY bad... but maybe so bad it's good???  And the video does not match the song AT ALL.  Main impression is WTF.  Props for trying, I honestly have no idea how good it actually is though. 
25.  Sweet Devil - [dramatic zoom in on the face of the Dominos Pizza CEO, which then becomes monochrome and distorted]  Have some fun with Miku!  hAvE sOmE fUn WiTh MiKu?>!  Seriously though this song just exists to make you more aware of how good Hm? Ah Yes is.
26.  Kagamine HachiHachi Flower Fight - This barely escapes the lower tiers due to the japanese instruments injected into an otherwise bad song and video.  Not my style at all and the voices clash with each other.  I can see some sort of potential but ehhhhn.

Below Average Generic Tier: Bland and outstanding due to bad things rather than good.

27.  Time Machine - Very bland.  Feels like ordinary people.  I am not interested in ordinary people robot girl music.
28.  Cat Food - Meeehhhhh.  There is not enough cat.  Also a lot of the bad kind of hypersexualization in the video, which I'm not sure how to feel about when it's paired with such a meh song.
29.  God Tier Tune - It really isn't.
30.  Tengaku - Welcome to Generic Zone!  But it's one of the Lost Levels ones that takes you back a world and makes you repeat genericness.
31.  Odds & Ends - Heavy robot voice and a bad video.  It tries to be interesting but kind of fails.  Also the melody is very ripped off of a Bakemonogatari song.
32.  World's End Umbrella - Doesn't really make any impression.  The video is apparently taken from an original PV which... I think I'm taking off points for, yeah.  You can't go half and half on that and just drop in random Meiko shots on a black background among the anime scenes.  Feels like this was supposed to be a centerpiece but doesn't appeal to me and got botched in execution.
33.  Secret Police - Meeehhhh.  Started promising and I like the hyperspeed effect, but then the same line is repeated four or five times for no good reason...?  And doesn't go anywhere.
34.  Fire◎Flower - Devoid of merit.  Not actively offensive but brings nothing to the table at all.  I don't think Len is well suited to this kind of song.

Actively Bad Tier: Songs I actually wanted to turn off.

35.  Nostalogic - Ok THIS exceeds my creepy fanservice meter.  I almost turned it off after the first 30 seconds.  It does get better for a while when the actual song is going on, but then it goes back into SHAKE DEM TITTAYS GURL M E I K O and gjkghsklgsdklsd  I'll respect the actual song parts enough to not put it dead last, maybe not even total bottom tier because ignoring the video it's not THAT bad but... yeow.
36.  Continuing Dream - You know, I expected most of these songs to be pop and rather narrowly genre focused.  There are a lot of negatives to this.  There are also potential positives, like "Well at least there won't be any country songs."  ALAS, THE PRICE OF HUBRIS IS DEATH  *dies*  Seriously though annoying and no redeeming features. 
37.  What Do You Mean!? - Actively grating to listen to.  Nope nope nope nope nope.  Listened on hoping it got better, it didn't.
38.  Unhappy Refrain - Wow.  It sounds like the whole lower register of sound fell out of the track and everything is in high pitched hiss mode.  Apparently this is how it is actually supposed to be.  Who thought this was a good idea?!  That... yeah.  Dead last ahoy.  I had to get confirmation that this is how it's supposed to sound and my headphones weren't messed up or something.  It's just unlistenable to me.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 02:43:39 AM »
Awesome Tier: Songs that are Awesome
1. Odds & Ends: Hey. A song I unquestionably feel comfortable putting here. Just great composition and pacing. It is also backed by a reasonably evocative video and all that.

2. Dream-Eater Monochrome Baku: Anyone who doesn't have this in their effective top-tier is wrong. Like, actually, factually, provably so.

3. Tengaku: Another song with great composition. There are a couple awkward transitions and I would be remiss to not mention, but I still dig this song. Great riff, and the... chorus, I guess? is outstanding. Video is great too.

Cool Tier: Songs that are Cool
4. DYE: I might move this one up. Great beat. But a lot of the lyrical stuff feels just a bit too shrill and cuts into the music work. Kinda puts me in the mind of Rise from GitS-SAC. Still better English than the Persona OP singer. Also not sure how I feel about the abrupt stop at the end

5. Remote Control: I dunno. This marks the first song that actively grew on me during it.

6. Weekender Girl: Nice rhythm and finally a video that doesn't totally suck.

7. MMORPG Addict's Anthem: One of the better videos, fun song. Just doesn't quite do enough to push it over, I think.

8. Kagamine HachiHachi Flower Fight: Just kinda fun at all levels. Singing is prolly the weak link in this one, but everything comes together to create a great package.

9. Negaposi*Continues: Great video, okay song, balances out to here.

10. What Do You Mean: Great beat and decent pacing. I could do without the video though. The spazz dance bothers me. Also, the text sound at the end is worth a kick.

11. World's End Dance Hall: Good, nice beat, a song where the electronic voices aren't irritating. The gong and the like detract though.

12. God Tier Tune: WALL-E Miku. The middle is kinda lame. I like it, but I don't think it deserves to be up with my awesome songs.

13. Freely Tomorrow: Sure. Decent sounding, upbeat pop and a decent video together might be enough to scrape the bottom of cool. That hat though.

14. Tokyo Teddy Bear: Not sure how to actually rate this one. Basically a somewhat inferior Demon Girlfriend (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k11ZfUy8ls) IMO. So on the fringe between Cool/Okay seems right about right.

Okay Tier: Songs that are Okay
15. Sadistic.Music*Factory: Had a bit of a reversal on this one. Wouldn't listen to it as actual music, but it functions well as a rhythm game song. There are still several sections that I find grating though, which pushes it out of the Cool tier. Ultimately, sort of a complicated song to deal with.

16. Glasses: Not bad, but I'm not a particular fan of this sort of groove. Also, why the fuck does she needed to throw all her glasses everywhere.

17. World's End Umbrella: Sure. I approve of animated video too! But not doing a lot for me otherwise. Might have made it to cool if they'd just stuck with the film. The close was nice. This might scrape the very bottom of cool?

18. Nyanxinfinity: Is it sad I like the meme track better? Full version isn't bad, but I don't like the downtime as much. Fun video though.

19. Summer Idol: Borderline again. I actually don't like this rhythm much, but it is well handled and definitely stands out well. So it is a war of personal taste versus giving credit for doing something differently and doing it decently. The video makes me vaguely uncomfortable. Better than the average Vocaloid singing one, but that whole age thing.

20. What? Ah, Yes: I like the piano, but nothing else here really works for me.

21. Continuing Dream: Beginning nearly put me to sleep, but it got better. I should say something more. The crescendos work well for me, but the rest is kinda just there.

22. Urbandonment: Is fine and probably lucky I'm not downgrading this one further for the video/song mix. I realize music videos can be weird sometimes, but this one isn't really working out at all. The song is just way too soft for the majority of the video.

23. Secret Police: Given we're talking about Vocaloid here, this is gonna be ironic, but the really heavy voice synth sections irritate me. It just sounds like they couldn't be bothered to make lyrics that actually work. The... bridges? Chorus? Whatever. Could do with some intensity changes too.  Boring video.

24. Melancholic: S'okay. Just kinda uninspiring. Builds better than Secret Police, but is generally less interesting. Also a boring video. Man, I thought some of these actually had decent videos. The color scheme is just too varied for it to be interested, instead causing it to look just sort of washed out.

25. Time Machine: It exists. Hooray. Decent video I suppose?

26. Acute: This barely makes it here. The male vocals seriously wreck this song. Like, 100%.

27. Black Rock Shooter: Borderline meh. The constituant parts work, but all together? They just sort of detract from each other. The song is at odds with itself, the video is at odds with itself, and the two together are at odds with each other. The crowd at the end sucks, as does the very start. It hangs on for a nice beat, though.

28. Tell Your World: Exists.

Meh Tier: Songs that are Meh
29. Ashes to Ashes: Like Acute, gets ruined by the vocals. Also Dusts to Dusts.

30. Sweet Devil: This just ain't doing it for me.

31. Continuation of the Dream: I got bored and started surfing DA instead of paying attention. Really, really dull. Holy crap, I wrote this acknowledging that and then immediately started looking up other videos. Why is this not over?

32. Monochrome Blue Sky: I got bored and was discussing other songs I like better in chat instead of paying attention. So probably not a good sign.

33. Cat Food: This extended metaphor either doesn't work or is incredibly tasteless/the literal lyrics are dumb. The song sounds okay, but is kinda at odds with itself and the lyrics kinda anti-sell me pretty hard. Boring video too.

34. Fire@Flower: Just doesn't work for me.

35. Nostalogic: Meh. Music was fine, video dull, electronic voice sucked hard.

36. Unhappy Refrain: Just didn't work for me at any level. The beginning is also really grating.

37. Senbonzakura: Literally forgot to score this. Apparently I didn't care for it.

Rin-Chan Now Tier: Songs that are Rin-Chan Now!
38. Rin-Chan Now: An entertaining video and lyrics cannot save the fact that this song borders on aural assault. Might have scored higher somewhere where I weren't valuing the quality of sound. Basically, funny sketch, fucking awful song.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:53:05 AM by AndrewRogue »

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 11:44:01 AM »
1. Tokyo Teddy Bear - very uplifting, lots of positive energy
Secret Police - I BELIEVE IN THE GOVERNMENT OF MIKU
Remote Controller - dreamcast hype bitches
Sadistic.Music∞Factory - the TRUTH, exposed
5. Senbonzakura - suck it korea
Dream-Eating Monochrome Baku - swag cane dancing
Tengaku - everything's on fire
World's End Dance Hall - high speed dance battles, i'm sold
ACUTE - pimpin aint easy
10. Ashes to Ashes - dolls are creepy
Rin-chan Now! -   rin-chan now rin-chan now rin-chan now rin-chan now rin-chan now rin-chan now rin-chan now rin-chan now rin-chan now rin-chan now rin-chan now
Hm? Ah, Yes. - everything blew up
Summer Idol - that pantomiming dancing, and THE MONKEY
What Do You Mean!? - all that math
15. Odds & Ends - that tiny miku
Weekender Girl - pretty playstation symbols
Freely Tomorrow - nice hat miku
Unhappy Refrain - shoot some dudes, miku
Tell Your World - pretty symbols, less points for less branding
20. Sweet Devil - those dancing robot hands
Negaposi*Continues - best branding, but 8 bit is bad and at some point there was a cat onscreen
Kagamine HachiHachi Flower Fight - i think it was about yugioh and incest, i'm sold
DYE - luka, you're bad at english
Nostalogic - angles in filming
25. Glasses - do you really need that many glasses
Monochrome∞Blue Sky - emo harder miku
God Tier Tune - points for promoting miku worship, less points because it's not very pretty
Fire◎Flower - len tells us how much he wants to bang his sister
The MMORPG Addict's Anthem - i played pso2 for like five minutes
30. Urbandonment - YOU HAVE NOT MAIL
Continuing Dream - preach to the choir
Time Machine - miku the visual novel, which is the highest form of literature i can understand
Melancholic - there was a giraffe
Black★Rock Shooter - i didn't see any black rocks
35. World's End Umbrella - i paid for miku, not anime
Nyanyanyanyanyanyanya! - a l l  c a t s  a r e  b a d  but memesongs are good
Stay With Me - christmas sucks
Cat Food - all cats are bad
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:51:33 AM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 07:21:25 AM »
[EDIT: Eh, was a bit too Zennyish before apparently.  I love you all!  pay no attention to the trolling...]
Interesting stuff, although not my cup of tea by default...  While I think the existence of the *software* is pretty cool, and the only way for it to be any good is to use it for stuff like this, I'd probably use the human-emulation side more for creating weird covers of other songs on the cheap.  If you're going to actually write new music for robots, do stuff only robots can do.  So...  "robot voice" isn't really a problem for me, and is sometimes a good thing.  (if it could be done by humans, let me hear a human sing it, darn it.)

Incomplete list at the moment, I may or may not finish it out later.

Really liked it

1. Nyanyanyanyanyanyanya! - Mysterious lack of rainbows, but while it's cheating, this is the catchiest tune they have.  It's got a zillion views for a reason.
NegaPosi*Continues - See, now this is what I'd actually associate with what vocaloids are good at: electronica.  Nostalgia and just plain fun.

Liked it

3. DYE - Wait, that was English?  Holy crap, it was totally impossible to tell on first listen, might as well be Martian.  Anyway, the song is a tad repetitive and goes nowhere and nothing happens visually either (weird since Alex hyped it as having an ending?), *but* the core tune/feel is pretty awesome, so I'll give it a pass for not really developing.
Tell Your World - This one is just catchy for no damn good reason.
Sadistic.Music∞Factory - See Alex, it'd have been neater if it didn't knowingly veer silly/flirty toward the end - look Evil Music Overlord Hatsune Miku is already inherently ridiculous, it's more fun if she keeps trying to play the villain.
Tokyo Teddy Bear - Bears in the basket indeed. 
Hm? Ah, Yes - Okay, if you're going to have sex kitten Hastune Miku (JAPAN), this is at least a well-done song of that style, I'll grant. 
ACUTE - Sure, for dramatic love triangle dealies this isn't bad.
Ashes to Ashes - Oh the music isn't THAT bad, still useless out of context but not appreciably worse than the "Meh" tier while it has pretty cool visuals.

Meh
These are all songs that exist.  Not bad but I have little desire to see them again.

10. Dream-Eating Monochrome Baku  - Yawn.  Classic case where if this had been a real person at vaudeville night this'd be pretty sweet, but despite having the best 'story' in so far as songs have stories, that isn't saving this from a shrug.
Senbonzakura
World's End Dancehall
Remote Control
Urbandonment
Secret Police - B+ for idea, C- for execution.

Actively disliked
15. Summer Idol

Yuck
Glasses - No.  This is too creepy for my tastes.

Rin-Chan Now!
Rin-Chan Now! - This is not a piece of music, this is a skit to piano.  I will admit to having watched it and that it is better than Glasses.  Let us never speak it again.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 07:29:02 AM by SnowFire »

Tonfa

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 10:32:10 AM »
Oh yeah this "ends" tomorrow I guess, so get your lists/changes in now if you have any. Andrew if you see this you have the same song listed twice ! !

Tonfa

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 04:15:19 PM »
In honor of Miku day have some  fun with Miku results

Song                                    Average        High
1. Tengaku                              7,8            1 (2x)
2. Remote Controller                    8,7            3
3. Tokyo Teddy Bear                     9,6            1
4. Dream-Eating Monochrome Baku         10,7           2
5. Senbonzakura                         11,4           1
6. Odds & Ends                          13,1           1 (2x)
7. Freely Tomorrow                      13,3           1
8. The MMORPG Addict's Anthem           13,3           3
9. Kagamine HachiHachi Flower Fight     14,1           6
10. World's End Dance Hall              14,9           4
11. ACUTE                               16,3           4
12. Weekender Girl                      16,4           5
13. Summer Idol                         16,7           6
14. What Do You Mean!?                  17,1           2
15. Sadistic.Music∞Factory              17,3           2
16. Tell Your World                     17,3           7
17. Negaposi*Continues                  17,8           2
18. Secret Police                       18,3           2
19. Ashes to Ashes                      18,7           3
20. DYE                                 20,2           1
21. Time Machine                        20,2           7
22. Urbandonment                        20,7           4
23. Hm? Ah, Yes.                        20,7           5
24. Monochrome∞Blue Sky                 21,2           9
25. Rin-chan Now!                       21,4           8
26. Melancholic                         21,4           8
27. Unhappy Refrain                     22,8           1
28. Nostalogic                          23             4
29. Glasses                             25,2           7
30. Black★Rock Shooter                  25,9           10
31. Fire◎Flower                         26,1           11
32. Sweet Devil                         26,7           10
33. God-Tier Tune                       26,9           12
34. Nyanyanyanyanyanyanya!              27,9           12
35. Cat Food                            28             12
36. Stay With Me                        28,8           19
37. World's End Umbrella                29,9           17
38. Continuing Dream                    31,1           20