Register

Author Topic: DLC2018 or whatever  (Read 3916 times)

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
DLC2018 or whatever
« on: September 26, 2017, 02:37:58 PM »
I'm not usually the one to start this, but thought that this might be a good time to start planning if people want to get together the next year. Everybody had stuff to do in 2017 amongst other things so maybe having a topic up earlier would help.

I'm open to ideas. I was thinking a DLC Toronto would be cool, but realize that since I'm the only one living here, I probably can't take a huge group. A mini meet might be possible though.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: DLC2018 or whatever
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 04:18:50 PM »
I really enjoyed Toronto!  ...in, like, 1994.  (They still had posters celebrating Blue Jays > Phillies in the '93 WS around.)  I'd be up for a DLC Canada East mini-meet.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 11:40:21 PM »
there is an east coast of canada?

I don't know if I would be able to come, need to finance.  Been thinking of maybe saving up and getting to Europe.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 12:27:13 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOJemHKzRQY

Just kidding I totally want to go.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 02:18:09 AM »
I am interested in DLCon, but Toronto might be a bit too far west for me to afford it.

Shun wants to see you all again, too! He is much more well-versed in Fire Emblem now, so he's prepared!

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 10:54:24 AM »
I would be interested, but considering there will be a job change and likely move between now and then, can't say 100% for certain.
...into the nightfall.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 02:37:03 PM »
Just as a note, it doesn't have to be in TO. The big problem of having it take place in TO is that I'm the only person I'm aware of from around the area, which makes transportation a big hassle (unless other people are willing to drive up). Personally, I wouldn't mind Vancouver (since I've never been), but IIRC that was the most recent DLC location and dunno if the elves and Ciatos are willing to host.

Anybody else thinking of being able to host and/or can think of other places for the group to hang out at?
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 05:36:58 PM »
I'm down for Toronto. I've never been and that always gives a place points.

While I literally have no idea where the world I will be next time, I'd like to try to make it. Babything will be old enough that it won't be such an ordeal to drop her off with the grandparents before we go, or hire a babysitter while we are wherever we are.

Minor thing is that friend and I are planning to go to New Zealand for 2 weeks sometime in the summer (though probably a shoulder season because holy crap airfare, dunno how you Aussies do it). Other than avoiding overlap, that shouldn't interfere. Travel is one thing I am always willing to drop money on.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 10:46:45 PM »
Having a bunch of awesome friends that you can crash with helps so very very much.

The flight, eh you get used to it.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 04:33:18 AM »
Australia Con would be pretty damn sweet but I think most of the DL don't have their passports or something? Thought that was a thing. Also, the plane tickets would be crazy expensive.

If people are up for a Toronto meet, my biggest concern is transportation. Since no other DLer lives around here as far as I know, unless someone else is driving up, I'll be able to take only a very limited group. If we can address that, I can start thinking about other things.
<@Claude> yahtzee

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 07:35:56 AM »
Well....  you tell us.  At Vancouver, there were totally troops of DL'ers heading off to go bowling and getting there via mass bus rides, or going to the downtown via the SkyTrain.  Nobody really had any cars (except for maybe Djinn?  Not even sure about that.).  So...  are you deep in the suburbs, or are you vaguely close to the Toronto subway or Toronto buses?  Even if it's a bit of a walk, that might be fine, no need for cars.

It's possible some people missed out due to lack of passport, but DLC16 had pretty good turnout, and if this is a minimeet / side-meet anyway, then that isn't a big deal.  If turnout is so big as to be a proper meet, but not enough to rent a house, then we can, at worst, grab big suite rooms at a hotel that we overstuff.  (I've been in big suites designed for 4 people that we then stuck 8 people in if cost is a concern.)

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 05:34:25 PM »
I had a car which got used a few times, but it didn't feel hugely necessary. Mostly just a time saver. (And also because I didn't fly into YVR, I flew into SEA, picked up Gate, and drove up.)

Anywho, if necessary, I can always rent a car. I have surrendered to my life as a designated driver. Plus if babything comes along, I *have* to have a car.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 03:39:15 AM »
I would be so down for Aussie Con or Vancouver Con mk.II.

West Coast US Con would probably be within my budget.

I'm still down for Japan Con too if anyone else is interested. And Japan is literally transportation-worry-free.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 04:00:41 PM »
I am hoping to go to WorldCon next year, since it's right here in San Jose, and that's Aug 16th-20th. Anything other than that and I should be good to hit up DLC as well. Anywhere in the US or Canada is probably fine.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 04:42:42 AM »
Toronto Con works for me.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 11:34:24 AM »
Should be much easier for me to get anywhere for DLC next year. 
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 03:03:17 PM »
Super and other people with cars: How likely are you going to be able to drive to TO? I know Super has driven to Niagara before, but I don't know if this is a thing that other people want to do. Having people drive in instead of flying in has a few advantages:

1) We have more cars, so we can get around easier. The major problem as I mentioned with a Toronto Con is that going anywhere typically requires a vehicle. Public transit is not great and unless we are going downtown Toronto everyday, you will want a few cars to be able to go to different places.

2) Less trips to the airport. I don't live close to it, so driving to the airport actually takes about 35-40 minutes. And that's one way. So driving to and back is about an hour, which is a bit of a hassle.

We can also probably talk about dates and maybe even things to do, although I think finalizing the location is probably more important. Does anyone else have an idea for a con location?

For dates, I was thinking maybe first week of July since we have Canada Day here and people in the states have 4th of July. This means that we can probably do maybe 3, 4 maybe even 5 days if people want. There may be some festivities and of course some gaming stuff if people just want to huddle and watch online (SGDQ / EVO). Winter is probably not a good month for me, and I really don't want people driving into Canada in the Winter (it's an adventure, I tell you what) so that's easy to eliminate.

As for things to do in TO, obviously, there is the the CN Tower to visit and for those of that don't live near here, the falls is also worth going to. People can probably come over to my place for the day, but I'd suggest that we stay at a hotel nearby since I'm not sure if my parents want to have like 10+ people around that they don't know well. Anything else people would want to do? There is stuff such as 401 Games (which sell primarily table top games, but you can also try some) or Museums, but you can probably do those in other cities as well.
<@Claude> yahtzee

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 07:56:33 PM »
Chances are pretty high I'd be flying into Toronto directly. Unlike Vancouver, where Seattle is much cheaper, Toronto is actually the cheapest point to fly to within a 4 hour drive radius. I'd have to do more research into the cost of rental cars directly from there, but either way, I'm a non-factor for the arriving-at-the-airport thing. Allowing for space in whatever car I ended up in, I could bring people to con location with me (and baby and Andrew).

4th of July is good in theory but in the US it tends to jack up travel prices. Any holiday is good for that! It's also a family holiday for people who do that sort of thing.

As far as locations... I'm pretty open to wherever. I can't commit until I know more about my situation, and I'll always be more likely to make a West Coast con just because of how much easier it is for me (I mean, I can drive my own car for any of those, so), but I like travel. I'm still down for a Vegas con though that location feels more tragic than practical now. Aussie Con would be awesome given my plans to head to New Zealand for 2 weeks next summer anyway.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 09:53:17 PM »
I'd probably fly. That's a brutally long drive to make for me (9 hours+driving everyone around at the con)
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 09:54:06 PM »
We are going to Australia next summer too!
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 05:56:22 AM »
If Aussie Con is on the table, I'm in.

No one up for a trip to Japan, home of JRPGs?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2017, 09:09:35 PM »
Checking the driving distance, I can't see myself driving that distance alone.  If someone is in the car with me, that could change things drastically.

If I were to come down there, I'd either fly or take a bus.  7-9 hour ride is a bit on the rough side of things to drive alone.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 12:39:04 PM »
Well, the last few years when I've said I'll be there something has come up, so...I'll not make that commitment now :)

I don't think I'd drive (got 120k miles on my car, kind of put like 30k a year on it already, so...), but I am more than happy to rent a car (either drive it myself, or put in money to help with someone else driving) when we arrive if it's in a location like Vancouver. 

Financially, given the house and some illnesses in the family, as much as I want to go to Australia or Japan for a con, I think those are way out of everyone's price range.  Vancouver is doable, although ideally I'd like something more officially on the East Coast (I know this year turned out to be a bad timing year for everyone, it happens).  I'm still several years from hosting in Pittsburgh, unfortunately (and would need help for that!). 
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 06:17:35 PM »
I'll likely be able to make a con.  I'd prefer not to drive up - 9 hours each way is a bit much.  I'll look at getting a rental car when I'm up there if needed.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 03:52:47 AM »
We could do an Australia con, but I would want to bail down headcount super early and pick a city, my apartment now is only appropriate for sharing with 1 other person for a short period, so I would need to prep.   Buuuuut we also could do it in my home town than Melbourne.   Disclaimer on that I can't drive so.... it would be public transport/uber for days.   Melbourne would support that okay though, Brisbane less so.

I am not sure if I will do US/Canada this year and honestly if Aus means OK is it I would rather he have a chance to go.

Edit - note that I didn't say that wrote off Japan winkyface.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:18:19 AM by Grefter »