Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194371 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2450 on: August 06, 2015, 10:42:37 PM »
re: Lost Dimension
Awesome to see someone else trying this game out. I've been having a blast with it, but been wanting to compare notes on it with other DLers for a while now.
Did you also get George for Floor 1? I'm guessing he's always first, which is such a bummer since he was immediately my favorite character and I hope that on New Game Plus I can save him! He has a fully developed skillset and everything that I want to play with!

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: August 07, 2015, 02:23:43 AM »
Rk. I'm atrying boss rush in both sides if the event.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/395uia/friend_codes_megathread_part_2_or_the_im_not_full/

So I'm reading that lunneth's advance is starting to catch steam since you can stack it with a ton of things. It'd supposed to be great with the reta meta.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2452 on: August 07, 2015, 04:54:33 AM »
Bravely Default job allocation reasoning.

I'd say that looks like a fair distribution. Considering that is literally the job allotment I came up with simply based on "what looks right" without any rules or stipulations for my own play through. I didn't keep characters from using others' classes though, so this could be interesting. Looking forward to Post Red Mage and Valkyrie write ups.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: August 07, 2015, 08:18:03 AM »
Djinn(re: small text): Yup. I think that's different on NG+ though, yeah.

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: August 07, 2015, 09:58:08 AM »
Hmmm. I might get that later on.

RK:
I just brought Vivi to the fighter arena and he didn't give a fuck about supposedly "high enemy res". The fights were still overall pretty difficult, especially compared to the mage side aka steamroll central.
Even with 2x Carbuncle / POIZN / Magic Breakdown, Gi Nattak was a nasty bastard. Man they're making those random trashy FF bosses so good.
BTW you can just Curaga him for the holy weakness medal.

Retaliate is less good than I thought it'd be considering the hype. It's pretty balanced actually. You get pretty good damage for few skill uses (Just retaliate, Double Hit, Boost) but good bosses put enough pressure that you need to buff/debuff/status them and thus reduce your potential retaliate damage, and the damage is less good than if you just went on an all-out attack.

HP bars are coming and I'm not sure that's a good thing. They are cool, but they will make hard boss battles less suspenseful.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: August 07, 2015, 10:48:28 AM »
I ordered Lost Dimension yesterday, blame Gate and Djinn. I'll see how it works out when it gets here.

Final Fantasy Autobattle Is Like A Bottle Of Gin - Mastered Macarena Woods Elite. You can actually keep Spherimorph from ever casting Press by following its Element Shift pattern to a tee: smack => hit elemental weakness => smack => lather rinse repeat. This solves that fight's fundamental problem. Crawler is just kinda nasty, though: having no healing and little to no mitigation until Negator dies against a boss who thrives on MT offense and counters is pretty rude. Good thing he's not too durable, so I just blitzed him with my physicallers once Negator was revived. Fun dungeon, anyway.

Quality of life updates good.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: August 07, 2015, 12:50:43 PM »
Magicians & Looters: Beat it. It's a short game, but fun enough for that amount of time. Boss battles are challenging, but not frustratingly so.

The game is a metroidvania with three characters. It's implementation was probably it's weakest point. You can only switch characters at save points and sometimes a specific one was needed to get a certain roadblock. This meant you could play as someone, find out you need someone else and now you have to trek back to a save point. This encourage you to play as the fastest character. The fastest character also happens to have three "get past this roadblock" skills whereas the others only have one each. Finally, it's almost always much easier to just run past enemies than fighting them and you get no exp from killing them, so you have the recipe for a game where one character gets used more than the rest together. This is all done so that the game can have some fairly uninspired puzzles that rarely amounts to more than "here you have to play as Vienna/Brent/Nyn".

It's a pity because the characters all have the same core mechanic and switching from one to another doesn't feel awkward, but they still differentiates enough from each other so that they offer meaningfully different play-styles. It's just that the other game mechanics don't support that core idea.

Finding Teddy 2: Beat it shortly after. This game is also a metroidvania.

You play as a girl of maybe 10 years and the environments, while fairly low tech, are beautiful. This game is very cute, but doesn't restrict itself to be cute at all the time. There is one town where some inhabitants discusses who wants to kill who with a musical language. Then there's a dungeon where you receive a death threat via the same musical language. Finding Teddy 2 does so sparingly however and doesn't turn "hey, we toss brutality into a cute game" into a gimmick.

Controls and collision detection is fairly bad. This is to an extent mitigated by the fact that you very rarely need precision. If you have a hard time dodging enemy attacks, the problem is never that you need to become better at controlling your character, rather you need to approach the fight differently so that being good at dodging enemy attacks isn't needed in the first place. However, the poor controls is a problem when you're going on a collect-a-thon. In Super Metroid, if you go back to Brinstar late game in order to clean it out from powerups, you will have an easy time since your mobility and combat prowess is much greater than during the initial run trough of it. In Finding Teddy 2, while earlier aren't won't pose and threat to you later on, running trough them will never be relaxing. If you get reckless, you will get hit-stunned a lot and also get knocked down ledges so you have to redo jumps a lot as well.

A greater problem is that it's easy to get stuck int his game. For example, theres one dungeon where you encounter what looks like a bottomless pit, but it turns out you not only can jump down there and land on a floor, you have to do so. If you're someone who despises using a guide on your first playgroup, skip this game. BTW, also skip this game is you're deaf, have poor hearing or just a very bad sense of music. This game requires you to recognize musical sounds. Finally, the map layout isn't logical. There's one instance where you can enter two different doors, one positioned above the other. Both doors lead to the same outdoor area at roughly the same vertical height, but the topmost door leads to somewhere far to the left of the bottommost door.

In the end, I'd say that the ideas were there, but the game design skill wasn't.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: August 07, 2015, 02:00:09 PM »
Final Fantasy I Thought You Were My Autobattle - Just one elite dungeon from the last update to clear (though two to master), and it's Giant of Babil 1. Sigh, having to use Dragoons for a mastery. At least I have Shellga, I might bring two white mages just for the sake of having both Shellga and Protectga up and about. The other healer can carry around Curaga and Diara or sumthin'. Lightning event's scheduled for next Monday, too. Let's see what the 11-pull will hand me.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2458 on: August 07, 2015, 03:16:05 PM »
I'm super excited for HP bars in Record Keeper so I can finally efficiently take on the core Elite bosses. That can only be a good thing.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: August 07, 2015, 03:23:29 PM »
Enemy HP bars are pretty much the best thing ever, visual spreadsheeting on the fly for the victolies (sorry, Fenny, suspense sucks). Remove All and ATB shuffling based on the last person to fill up the turn gauge are also amazing.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: August 07, 2015, 03:37:22 PM »
I'm gone ten minutes and Zenny is on a long rant about a Record Keeper stat topic?
What the fuck, DL?

I would like to clarify that I was mostly yelling at DJ.

Too bad every fucking battle animation is way too damn long for me to play that again.  FF6 is also kind of this way in the stretch from Zozo to the Sealed Gate, where you probably haven't learned a lot of spells with any one character and they probably have specific niches.  Too bad you can't mod it to use the D&D magic system, I guess.

Oh, that brings up a good point. Both FF5 and FF6 are nigh unplayable now without frameskip. I really don't get why Frameskip hasn't been added as a feature to non-pirated games. Only perhaps RTS games don't benefit from frameskip. Specifically, toggle-able frame skip that you can turn off the second you're done watching the animation load for the umpteenth time and need to make a decision.

I haven't made any progress in FF5. I'm doing that thing I do with FF games where I get to the final dungeon and I just stop caring. Did it with FF7, did it with FF4, did it with FF3, FF10... actually a whole lot of RPGs, and not just JRPGs either. I dunno what it is. Feeling like I completed the game enough to not care? Not wanting to have the game end? Neither of those really apply here. Maybe I've just been busy. I guess it's only noteworthy because of how much of a recurring pattern it is with my RPG habits.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: August 07, 2015, 04:54:56 PM »

I would like to clarify that I was mostly yelling at DJ. .

Quote from: Zennythor, 2015
Harder.  Harder!  HARDER I SAID!  Do it like it means nothing to you.  Look me in the eye and stare 30 meters behind me so it looks like you don't care.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: August 07, 2015, 05:42:41 PM »
Quote from: Zennythor, 2015
cocksex

Yes.

Final Fantasy Autobattling England By The Pound - Holy hell, the Four Fiends boss rush dungeon is annoying as -hell-. Between Scarmiglione being a trudge and Cagnazzo having obnoxious paralysis counters, the whole thing's just a pain in the ass. I'm also not looking forward to Barbariccia and Maelstrom spam. Sigh. Amazing how FF4's dungeons consistently have the worst battle design. Which is pretty faithful to the origin game, I suppose.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: August 07, 2015, 06:16:14 PM »
For those who still care about Brigandine there's a 99% full english translation patch now, free of bugs and arbitrary non-translation changes. There's no translation for the anime cutscenes but there is for everything else.

http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=869.0;attach=2615

Apply to ISOs with ppf-o-matic

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: August 07, 2015, 08:17:16 PM »
Just finished an RPG maker game called In Search of Immortality.

It's short, but that's a good thing as the plot is a simple one that would be poorly served by taking longer.  Instead, you play long enough to get what's going on, and see the characters interact with each other.  Which is great, since the writing is at its best in its banter.  The final boss is also effectively played up for all the respect and drama he deserves.

But the best thing about this is the gameplay.  Each character has their own class, and none of these classes draw on traditional RPG classes.  Despite this, they all work.  For example, your mage is a magical engineer, who can not only blast spells, but has a fair bit of utility and can create magitek weapons for anyone in the party to use in the middle of battle.  You have an alchemist whose skillset manages to actively encourage you to craft items, even in the middle of combat.  And with almost no rare items you don't have to save them for emergencies that may never arrive.  You have your illusionist who is both a Turn Shift monkey and kinda of the party tank thanks to his decoys that give him perfect evade, when they're up.  And all of his skills tend to give minor healing, just cause.  And your priest, who manages to be one of the better slow but strong characters this side of Raquel, with a lot of his moves being slow, but all of them having a catch that makes them much faster, and having an instant speed ITD move that can be quite potent.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: August 08, 2015, 12:54:33 AM »
Chroma Squad: I was supposed to work today but I just binge played Chroma Squad. Went from the beginning to almost the end.

This is a kickstarter'd SRPG. You are a group of actors playing in a sentai series like Power Rangers.
You need to do flashy moves to get more audience, more fans, more income... In fact, between battles, you can do the traditional buying / crafting / picking skills stuff you'd see in an RPG, but also pick a marketing strategy for your show (!) It gets pretty in depth and the management is as important as the actual battles.

This game is the most meta shit. You spend half the time not knowing whether what's happening is supposed to be a part of the sentai series within the game, or not. And then it gets more complicated as the cast gets seriously threatened by srs guys later on, but even then they keep acting and attracting fans and all. Because they need money to fight evil? BUT and that's the kicker, the filming crew (visible in every battle) is never acknowledged by the real villains when they really should be, so maybe all of this is also just an act. I don't know.

If that wasn't meta enough The Power Rangers company actually sued Chroma Squad, so Chroma Squad included the Power Rangers guys as enemies/huge douchebags in this game. Their lawyer is literally Satan.

Of course the game also has traditional 4th wall breaking on top of it.

Battles are... particular for a SRPG. There's no terrain and allies/enemies can't really block you, so there's excessive freedom of movement. The game's not too complicated as a result.
Every party member can for free use a support move instead of attacking. You can then launch other party members in the air for free (it's very useful) or combo if both party members are next to an enemy. If all 5 members combo at once, they get a crazy finishing move.

The game has some weird stats, including skill regen. Each skill has a cooldown before you can use them again, and higher skill regen reduces that cooldown.
Each party member starts with one skill and gets another one at the beginning of each chapter.
This means that at the beginning of the game, every party member mostly uses physical attacks, with the occasional skill once per battle (the cooldown is too long to use skills two times per battle, really) By the end of the game, every party member has like 4 or 5 active skills with almost no cooldown, and the game becomes very fun and very ridiculous.

You get 5 party members and can choose their looks and colours, but there are 5 fixed roles much like the XCOM roles. You get a limited choice of passive and active skills and can change them anytime, which is pretty cool.

Character breakdown:

Lead: Leader is the tankiest party member, so she was pretty useful as the girl at the beginning of the game I put generally in front. Enemies almost always attack the closest party memebrs. She has some nifty skills, but lacks a real niche. I consider her to be the least useful member of the team! Weird.

Medic: Very competent healer. She has a passive that makes her autoheal adjacent allies when using the support move, and that makes her the most useful party member in the early game by far; as this means she can both heal and attack within a combo in the same turn. Later on, she gets mass healing with low cooldown. Her healing skills are also one of the best ways to raise audience.

Brawler: Obviously Brawler does the most damage, which sounds good on paper but is not very significant earlygame. Everyone else does low 2HKO damage and she does high 2HKO. So, she kills enemies as slowly as the others, unless she uses her weapon skill or is facing a particularly tough enemy or a boss. However, she does slowly start getting absolutely ridiculous skills: A traditional Spin2Win move that basically OHKO any regular enemy adjacent to her, plus a Trample skill that doesn't cost an action and makes her move 5 spaces away while damaging anything in the way. So you can go Move -> Trample - > Spin2Win to go to other side of the battlefield while killing half the enemy forces, yay, BALANCED

Techie: Techie's the gun nut, and not a particularly powerful party member, but notable for having the first AoE in the game. He then also gets a very strong AOE attack/movement debuff , and that's about it. Good enough!

Scout: Scout's the MVP! Scout is already dominant at the beggining of the game, because she has an AoE stun that doesn't cost a turn. It's a real lifesaver. Then all her skills she gets next are ridiculous. She gets +2 movement (on top of her passive +1), a skill that's stronger than a physical attack that she can use every round, and then some ninja invincible backstab healing stuff that's completely OP. Endgame Scout is unreal. In fact she is unkillable.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: August 08, 2015, 02:34:05 AM »
The starting director the squad walks out on is Haim Saban.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: August 08, 2015, 02:41:59 AM »
FFRK:  Mastered the mage-side boss rush.  Spent a mythril at Motor Ball to refresh my spell charges.  Was worried that I'd have to do the same at Bottomswell, but his pdef is actually not that good and Balthier finished him off with a normal attack right after I ran out of spell uses.  Key to this event was obviously 94 magic black mage Sephiroth.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2468 on: August 08, 2015, 10:12:32 AM »
Lufia: The Legend Returns- Beat.

I found myself continually shocked at the game's ability to be obviously budget but still kinda neat in spite of it.  Like, the core game too, but also the translation.  Some dude had to crank this out over a weekend.  But... the way it plays out works well with the actual plot, because fact that party are simple-headed doofuses and Wain is King of the Idiots is an actual plot point anyway, so if he says something really dumb that's okay.  If the Sinistrals are completely lacking in any gravitas, that fits the tone of the game because duh, Wain is so goddamned stupid they can't keep a straight face at him, let alone give full supervillain rants about FRUE DESTRUCTION/THE POWER OF CHAOS/PURE TERROR. 
The party layout aspects of the game are kinda neat just for the fact that it gives characters who in most RPGs would be utter bench-bait actual use.  Sure, Mousse has half the effective stats of most of the cast because he can't use equipment, but he also gets essentially free actions, he goes in the party and never leaves it.  It's in keeping with most of Lufia 3; sure, it's probably not really GOOD, but it's just interesting enough to carry you through the game.  Solid 6/10 material.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: August 08, 2015, 12:07:13 PM »
Yeah Lufia 3 is cool. Best in the series.
Except when it freezes on the 180th level of the Ancient Cave.

RK: Did the two 1337 bosses of the current event, mastered the magical one (not too though)

Wait until HP bars are a thing before trying to master Schizo guys. This guy are sick.
Losing three medals means missing the mastery, and you are going to lose at least two medals on damage taken and actions taken. Losing another medal is very easy even with ridiculous damage mitigation. (As in R2 Magic Break, R2 Magic Breakdown, Sentinel's Grimoire, + R2 Shellga)

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: August 08, 2015, 06:33:10 PM »
Just a general heads up, the Danganronpa games are on sale on PSN for $20 each. I haven't played them but a lot of people really think highly of them and I'm generally into visual novels so I'm at least on board.

Also finished Arkham Knight and am generally disgruntled. Maybe I'll do a longer post later.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: August 08, 2015, 07:37:21 PM »
RK: Did the two 1337 bosses of the current event, mastered the magical one (not too though)

Wait until HP bars are a thing before trying to master Schizo guys. This guy are sick.
Losing three medals means missing the mastery, and you are going to lose at least two medals on damage taken and actions taken. Losing another medal is very easy even with ridiculous damage mitigation. (As in R2 Magic Break, R2 Magic Breakdown, Sentinel's Grimoire, + R2 Shellga)

Final Fantasy Various Autobattles And Saints - Just mastered the Proudclad fight, and, as Fenny advertised, he's no big deal. R2ing both Firaja and Waterja paid off big here, since it meant I could rock both Quistis and Vivi with four shots of 9k damage, no weakness involved, which was more than enough to quickly dispatch the Jamar Armor. I capped off with Blind + Mental Breakdown + Magic Breakdown on Proudclad, then Shellga on my PCs, then suddenly Proudclad could barely ever damage me (his only non-physical offense is Mana Cannon, which takes a turn to charge. Under Shellga + Mag Breakdown, it deals uh 150~ damage per PC. I'm scared. No, really). Schizo, I haven't tried out yet.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: August 08, 2015, 10:22:46 PM »
Schizo also only does 100 damage after every mitigation skill is up, but both head act + you can't have both heads with Magic Breakdown throughout the entire fight unless you have ridiculous hones.
I'm getting Tifa to the sunday dungeon + getting some new orbs monday before trying again. My lack of good FF7 gear (outside of Aeri's rod) is showing here. The rewards are not crazy but I'd hate to miss a single 5* orb.

I do consider this game to be legit real good now that autobattles are over. There's more strategy and planning involved than any other Final Fantasy, it's also the only one outside of FF12 in which status doesn't just feel like a novelty for challenge playthroughs.
I'm slowly getting to the end of the elite dungeons, I only have FF4/6/7/10 left. About 5 levels in each on average. I'm sure there will be another dungeon update before I have time to progress any further though.

Chroma Squad: Massive difficulty spike at the end of the game, oh boy. I could just cheese with Scout I guess, but that's no fun.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 10:34:00 PM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: August 08, 2015, 10:39:30 PM »
Yeah, I just tried Schizo and I think my problem there is action economy. I think it's not worth bothering to get two medals on damage taken, since they have too much MT and their dying attack Dragon Fang is their -only- physical attack, which is a dick move. However: R1 Shellga + Magic Break + SG is -definitely- enough for the damage to be unthreatening on both heads throughout. I brought both Mag Breakdown and two Mag Breaks, and that second Mag Break was totes overkill. Still, what I really need there is either a better synergy weapon for FFVII or Armor Breakdown to raise my DPT. I might give that a try, at least I got that Champion's Belt for good measure.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: August 08, 2015, 11:02:27 PM »
Sure that Dragon Fang is physical? From what I've heard it's magic.
According to this https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/3dnap6/ranking_medal_criteria
You'd need to do less than 31 actions to get all three medals on actions taken. Seems impossible without crazy gear to me.