Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194372 times)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2000 on: July 13, 2015, 03:50:46 AM »
Post Lonka you will lose Galuf.

FF5 - Rolled earth, got Chemist.  Monk-Time Mage-Bard-Chemist.  Should be alright.

Adamantoise walled me and then I broke a couple of rods on his face.  Trying to work out how to kill so,e Prototypes so I can get some Dark Matter.

Too late;don't care advice: While Adamantoise is pretty annoyingly resilient folks without Ice damage (or L5 Death), you can get Slow (and, if you lack any other credible offence against him, Gravity) to land on him and those go a long way towards letting you tough it out.

Your team doesn't really have a great answer to Prototypes, unless I'm overlooking a Mix which will work and doesn't consume dozens of Turtle Shells (or require Dragon Fangs/Holy Waters/Dark Matters). Hit him with Slow, Berserk him with Bacchus' Cider use Haste/Regen, then fish for criticals with Barehanded? You could also try halving his defence repeatedly with Turtle Soup (2-4 should get him to the point where damage comes easily enough). Sounds super-annoying to me regardless and if it were me I'd wait until W3, but maybe you'll prove me wrong.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: July 13, 2015, 04:23:10 AM »
Chemist would involve waiting for post Lonka and I think 3 man party is super volatile on something like Prototype.  I just hasted up two Time Mages up (Bard casting haste) and threw rods at it.  A few thousand Gil is alright cost to have options of Dark Matter mixes.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: July 13, 2015, 04:26:52 AM »
Oh right, rod breaks do actually exceed 100 power, I'm too used to thinking of that as "perfect defences" for W1 although now that I think about it, scrolls break it too.

Final Fantasy 5 - Right I never posted about the end of my Fiesta run which I finished last week. Summoner/Samurai/Dancer/Dancer.

I don't have much to say about randoms except that Summoner wrecks them pretty bad. I used Gold Hairpins to extend my resources and the fact that Samurai couldn't use either them or Ribbons or Gaia Gear definitely left him/her behind the curve, though less so in W3 when everyone could rock Air Knives. Titan was good at clearing things but imperfect due to flying enemies, fortunately Ramuh etc. aren't horrible fallbacks, and Dance does allow for some direct offence. Selected boss notes...

Dragon Grass: Golem would wreck this battle so badly if I ever let him get attacks off, but Titan says nope.
Gilgamesh + Enkidu: I kill Gilgamesh first because Titan. Then Enkidu kills himself by using Vampire on my Bone Mail wearer, doing 3000 damage to himself. Hahaha.
Atomos: I used a shot of Zeninage here because I left Bone Mail on someone and thus couldn't revive so things turned kinda ugly, but I won.
Seal Guardians: I set everything up for a perfect Titan blitz which would kill three of the crystals before they got their spells off. Worked perfectly. Now just have to kill the earth one. I think I have some plan here to avoid two turns in limit mode with a combination of things but I screw it up and everyone except my Samurai dies, but fortunately Zeninage gets its second use of the challenge to finish things.
Carbuncle: Catoblepas when he drops his barrier.
Exdeath: Golem + Carbuncle zzz.

Gargoyles: Oh no two bosses I need to kill at the same time, what will I- *one-rounds with Titan*
Melusine: Kinda annoying with her Titan immunity, but not threatening.
Bahamut: Well at this point my offence is so high (eight Syldras for every turn he gets) that even 2HKOing most of my party he can't do too much, I do use Golem/Carbuncle to be safe.
Catastrophe: I skip most of W3 but I fight a decent number of randoms to make sure I survive his Earth Shaker. He then proceeds to not use it.
Halicarnassus: Counters Summon with a random OHKO damage shot, but unthreatening otherwise so Dance/etc. gets the job done. Fortunately it's W3 so I actually have 50% Sword Dance now.
Twintania: Catoblepas while he charges.
Necrophobia: Don't bring multiple targets to a Syldrafight.
Neo Exdeath: At level 36 my Samurai can just survive Almagest, Phoenix is a great tool to help my recover. Golem/Carbuncle and Ribbons/Hermes Sandals shuts down almost everything else they can do, and there is an awesome moment of hilarity as a reflected Delta Attack kills the Almagest part, making up for my missing it with like 15 uses of Catoblepas first.

Only optional things I did in W3 were Phantom Village-related (Hermes Sandals!) and getting the non-Leviathan optional summons, a rare playthrough where I didn't even do the island shrine. Beaten at Level 36, don't recall any resets in worlds 2 or 3 but I could be forgetting. Don't have much to say about the jobs besides Summon being OP; its only weaknesses are mediocre non-magic stats in the job itself, a lack of healing, and a lack of certain buffs (Protect/Shell) but really Golem/Carbuncle/that MT offence should be enough for almost everything. Samurai and Dancer are mostly different types of filler, though Zeninage and Dance both did see some use, and equipping shields (+ having good HP) and equipping ribbons (+ having good speed and robes) meant both jobs had their own perks in the summoner army.

Final Fantasy Dimensions - Up to the Paladin chapter.

Maybe.

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: July 13, 2015, 06:49:36 AM »
FF5 Fiesta: Rocking me a fancy new airship. It's funny. 2x Mystic Knight/Knight/Beastmaster makes a lot of fights fairly easy to just autobattle (even if the Beastmaster is kind of... tame) but any fight I can't autobattle my way to victory becomes pretty much an instant loss to me. Ifrit was tough and nearly wiped me, but then Byblos was LOL because I did 1600 damage with a Fira!Physical and he doesn't like that. Adamantoise was similar, going down after about 2-3 turns. The game is amusing enough. Might want to try it again on a chaos run, provided I don't get 4 berserkers. It makes it oddly easier to just wander through the game when I don't have to worry about what classes to choose or any of that. Also frameskip. Frameskip makes it much easier to catch up when I forget to save and then get wiped by a random way tougher than I can fight that I accidentally wander up to.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: July 13, 2015, 07:15:21 AM »
Shadow Hearts 3: Up to Machu Pichu. Game's pretty fun. Magic wrecks enemies pretty badly right now. Its similar to Wild ARMS 4 in that you never want to give randoms a turn because they will probably wreck your shit. So having AoE/GT targeting is pretty important. As such, my team is pretty much mages and then one person who can fallback for physicals/support. Shania works very well here. Hilda's MVP for mass clearing enemies and doing the bulk of the damage against bosses with Surge/Entrance combo. Past Shania/Hilda, Johnny and Ricardo exist to be back up mages. I get more use out of Johnny's camera then anything else he does though since he just doesn't have the stats for super offense. I should try using the Magic Mind's Eye at some point.

Fire Emblem 7: Done another playthrough in Eliwood mode. Game's still pretty solid. Although RNG and all that, so some opinions change. I went a little differently and tried to set up as large of a support ring as I could. This probably worked against me since I couldn't get anybody to S class other than the mono-weapon users. But Eliwood having less maps than Hector certainly adds to it. Units used + thoughts:

Eliwood - Strong Eliwood. Not the strongest I've gotten, but still 2 rounded things much earlier, so he was good. A Ninian/B Hector. Probably the support option of choice if you want a paired ending somewhat reasonably. Otherwise, A Hector is better and then B whoever. Barely had anytime with Lances, so yeah, he just hit things with Swords and then later hit things with Swords on a horse. Late promotion doesn't help.
Lyn - A Florina/B Rath probably the most reasonably because both supports are quite fast. Lyn this game was kinda mediocre pre-promotion due to a strength drought. Florina support kept her afloat. Then after promo, she got like 2-3 strength in a row which eliminated the problem altogether.
Kent - A Fiora/B Sain. Kent/Sain support is pretty good if you get both Cavs to not be awful. This is the first time this happened so personal experience suggests that it doesn't happen on average. Anyway, Kent performs better early/late but loses mid to Sain. Pretty certain on that now. He's better defensively and out of the gate, both are not that far apart. But midway, Sain has a huge strength lead and the speed difference between the two usually wasn't significant enough to matter.
Sain - A Rebecca/B Kent. See above. Was pretty close to MVP midgame by a huge margin (mobile OHKOing machine that wasn't frail? Jesus). Not quite though. Still crazy. Was the only other person who had a S weapon rank, although that's probably because lances are the more dominant weapon in this game.
Rebecca - A Sain/B Raven. Awful start. Pretty awful midgame and bad late game. Mono bow is bad. Nothing special of note on promo. The support helps though but not worth it IMO. Too slow and too easy to be out of position :GBA Archers:.
Matthew - B Oswin/C Serra. I had to force the Serra support. If you don't use Guy, he's pretty screwed support wise. Oswin isn't good due to their different roles. Honorable mention for his growth going haywire and giving him 16 strength pre-promotion. Sure, I'll take pseudo-Guy. Promoting him is kind of eh. If he didn't have crazy stats, I wouldn't bother tbh.
Oswin - A Hector/B Matthew. Yep. Oswin was a little disappointing this time around. I find that the cavs are better because he's just so immobile at reaching the fight upfront. But his durability is top notch, so he got his moments and got to the end team that way. I almost dropped him because Sain/Kent did everything almost.
Hector - A Oswin/B Eliwood. Was on crack. Thought it would be cool to steal Dart's speed growth so he had something stupid like 15-16 speed by the time he was 20. Had like maxed stats by the time he was 20/8. Gave him the boots to keep Eliwood and him supported throughout. Hector gaining speed = lol since enemies can't keep up. I don't think any of his paired ending grows at a reasonable pace outside of Lyn and she wants the A Florina so much more gameplay wise, so uh...oh noes for him if you care about that.
Florina - A Lyn/B Fiora. Last person's whose growths were on crack this game and was definitive MVP. Flying, mobile, and somehow defensively tanky even without the evade. Made other units supported by her better. Her only issue is AS loss from weapons so she can't use anything really powerful and not having enough weapon ranks at the end.
Fiora - A Kent/B Floroina. Medicore this time around. Helped by Kent. Got strength but her speed for a peg wasn't great which meant she had offense issues here and there.
Raven - B Rebecca/B Priscilla. Is Raven. I mean, he wasn't god!Florina or god!Hector, but its hard to go wrong with him since he's almost RNG proof. Supports with the best healer too. Probably will A Pris in any other game. It's a decently fast support.
Priscilla - A Erk/B Raven. Vastly superior support options to her rival and is more mobile. Not news really but promoting two healers with only 1 Psychic staff is sad times :(.
Serra - C Matthew/C Erk. Awful awful supports. She gains weapons levels faster from Shine, but that's not much considering Pris' other advantages over her. "Quick" promoted at L18 because it was like Cog of Destiny and still having a tier 1 there is sad times.
Erk - A Priscilla/C Serra. Pretty good at the start. Medicore at the end. Competes with Pent, we all know this. Made worse by the fact that he has other things he's lacking on other than just stats.
Rath - B Lyn. I don't get any hype behind Rath. He's a complete glass cannon and is monobow until promo at which point he gets stuck with Irons for a while before getting Steel? Ew. Also, his growth this game was completely awful and I had to jack him up with stat ups to give him a chance. The one saving grace was the Lyn B support which built much faster than I anticipated so he has that. But that's really not much considering all his other issues. Will probably never use him again. Well...at least until I forget this playthrough.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: July 13, 2015, 08:29:53 AM »
So, I played FE8 on my computer.  So what have I been playing portably lately?  Oh, just a game I sorta half-knew already, and in fact voted on in the old DL despite not having technically played it myself (SCANDAL).  I wanted to experience it on my own terms though in retro mode, so didnt' want to chat about it here before hand or during, + I also tried to keep the FAQing low.  Anyway, I've basically been Ciato+1: she played FE7 & BoF3, so I took a look at a game I got on sale from PSN for like a dollar or so...

Breath of Fire IV: Interesting!  Very much a window back to the world of PSX era games, I think.  Minigames!  Obscure sidequests!  Terrible camera angles!  Long attack animations!  Untranslated Japanese!  And yet it's pretty cool anyway.

I'm playing this on Vita, so they map R2/L2/R3/L3 to the rear touch pad.  It's pretty awkward; when I want to switch who's in front, it often takes several taps, and sometimes when wandering around I'll get stuck into a constant switch of standing in place as everyone rotates crazily due to it detecting a constant press.  Oh well.

Anyway.  My impressions are *mostly* positive, as the game has an interesting setting, some reasonably compelling overarching plots, and pretty much all of the cast is likable (or hatable for the villains).  I also rather like the intentional decision to not have Alliance-Empire War II break out and to have a lot of the quest be about ramping down tensions and shrugging off slights rather than make some big affair of honor out of it, something many games screw up.  Fits very well with a war-bringer vs. peace-bringer type setup.  On the other hand, the low-level plots leave something to be desired.  Actually quite a lot.  I mean, I'm a person who authentically can enjoy plenty of "journey-is-the-destination" type games where you move from town to town solving their minor little problems a la Grandia I/II.  And I can see an angle where the dragon who was busy with the Big Political Problems of the world was too blind to see what the guy who was fishing and meeting random travelers found.  But...  the actual low-level plots suck.  They're bland and uninteresting.  Way too much "pure travelling" with some BS obstruction in the way, like not having directions, and too much "you need X keystone to get into Y" (don't ask how the enemies you fight got in).  Now, I respect that if you're not going to have a big war or something going on, you have to lower the stakes some, but you can still have there be some *interesting* excuses for a dungeon.  Like, "awakened earth monster on the isle of fire stops the wind in the sea" is probably one of the better quests-along-the-way they have, and that's a pretty low bar!  Sigh.

Additionally, the B plot (save Elina) is weirdly underplayed early when it's the best thing they have.  The A plot is compromised per usual by silent protagonist (another horrible decision) and the fact that it's introduced as "Ryu, you must level up a lot!"...  so that he can...  send Deis back to wherever Gods come from?!  And she thinks that Fou wouldn't do this for her because ??? but Ryu will because ???.  Sure, the Fou/Ryu arc turns out well, but I don't particularly like the way it takes over too soon and shoves out a more interesting plot.  The whole thing about paths & streams is a little creepy too - if Ryu had actual lines, then you can write it off as a side-effect of his charisma or the like, but nope, fate is literally making people slaves to his will or something.  Doesn't matter that Cray doesn't trust Ryu in his lines sometimes, he's stuck because magic.  I guess this is sort of okay in that it's reinforcing that Ryu & Fou-lu can literally set the fate of the entire future, so it'd make sense that they'd naturally take over everyone around them and bend them to their path, but once again, it'd be helped a lot by Ryu having lines.

Related to this, there's a plot element which I'm not exactly complaining about - ambiguity can be good, especially for things like "workings of divine beings" - but seemed a bit conflicted.  In the world of BoF4, gods are summoned for a reason but have little wills of their own - they're shaped by their summoners.  Okay.  Fou-lu was summoned because the people prayed for peace or something, and his interpretation of fulfilling that was to unite everyone under one empire rather than many warring ones.  This is all fair enough, and furthermore this plays into the idea where Ryu's story hijacks the plot - that the Empire was trying to capture Ryu so that he'd be their servant and do whatever they ask, while Ludia's prince wants Ryu to serve the Alliance.  Yet... there's a line that Nina has late C3 along the lines of she thinks Ursula has realized that even if she delivers Ryu to the Empire, he's not really going to be their plaything, he's his own person.  Well...  maybe?!  The whole way everyone is acting is as if you can just capture a dragon then tell him your wishes and profit.  And then there's the line about how they're worried that Ryu might destroy the world too or something, but Ershin is all "I wouldn't worry, he's totally under Nina's thumb anyway."  Well, if this was supposed to be a lovebirds gibe, fail, as this has been built up 0 even given a silent protagonist (unless you think Nina talking about her crush on Cray to Ryu counts?!).  But I guess you can sorta assume this really was literal and Ryu has already been shaped to be an instrument of Nina's general nice & fluffy desires?!  Or alternatively that she sculpted him into being his own person and that's a person who wouldn't despair like Fou did?!  Maybe.  Seemed like they wanted all of the above to be true simultaneously or the like.

Also, everyone knows this already, but Lord Yuna is a memorable slimeball.  Great that he gets away as well.   Well done.  (I already knew the rough overall plot arc but it worked out well enough playing it through.)

Anyway.  Gameplay!  This weird blue-haired guy is just an amnesiac, it'd be cruel to force him to fight out of some selfish desire to get sandflier parts.  So I'm not going to.  Nor am I gonna bother farming minigames or fishing or making items or gathering skills.  Make things interesting and more to the point!

Note that bosses provide quite a lot of XP, so I'm not as far behind on levels as you might think, *but* individual levels are quite potent in BoF4, and more to the point you are horrifically short on money.  Every purchase is precious, coming from boss money & chests.

Long boring list of actual bosses of note + gameplay comments...

Random desert town + scavenging: Why'd they have the first town be one where they explicitly comment it's confusing and hard to see what's going on?!  Look, you can hide the layout problems by not having super-narrow alleys where you have to constantly rotate around to see which way's which.

North Chamba: This place has zombies & skeletons & such!  We're clearly no match for them, run away.  Took me embarrassingly long to solve some of these puzzles.  A skullfish eats the poor helpless amnesiac guy, although nobody seems to comment on him becoming this weird winged thing when attacked.  Shame, that means he stays pitifully low level compared to the boss of the expedition.

Prophetic Dream: I'd just like to say this is a weird way to introduce the Elina plot.  Nina & Cray don't even comment on what they're doing at the beginning of the game, and now Ryu of all people gets to see the future or something?  'k. 

Path to trap town: Not knowing the system, I accidentally give Ershin a master in RWolf, and find you can't remove masters once set.  Oops.  Kinda don't want to use them, not that I want a DL-legal team exactly, but I want to experience the characters as they are and not risk screwing them up permanently.  Ershin seems like a physical attacker with those deadly fists so this is clearly the wrong build for her.  (Oh, young SnowFire, how misguided you were.)

Trap town: DIE PARROT AND YOUR YUFFIE MINIGAME

Trap forest + Maman:
Reset #1.  After all the annoyance of placing apples and running around, Maman, the giant monster the mayor's cheesed off, is a super badass.  I dunno if Meeple missed a move in his boss topic or if his damage is just way better against underlevel & underequipped characters, but he can throw out 600 damage in an attack (2x hits of 300) which is a OHKO to anyone that isn't Aura dragon.  When I don't have any revival items.  Off good tankishness.  And his other moves aren't bad either; his stun seems to always connect (certainly a way better hit rate than most of the status moves in the game, and his stun is attached to damage!).  Crushed.
I do notice that there are revival items for sale now that I look ("Ammonia" wasn't obvious from a glance), but they're expensive, and this is actually a horrible enough loss + the dungeon is annoying enough that I decide to briefly break my no-killing-not-in-self-defense vow and hunt some monsters in the forest.  Ryu in particular badly needs it being like level 2 or level 3.  After this, it's not so bad.

Kahn: Looong slugfest, and has nice damage, but he wastes a lot of turns on stuns that don't do anything and useless buffs and WHY IS MY FACE MELTING AFTER HE BUFFED UP.  Still, no problem, not as hard as finding the dang kids with bad camera angles getting in the way.

Captain Rasso / Ymechaf:
An epic & long slugfest.  Not a lot to say other than it required me to use a fair amount of precious revival items.  Also around now I think I figure out that not just Ryu can learn skills, but everybody can!  Luckily it seems like most skills don't matter.  Also unlike FF7, you can learn skills then run, so there's that.  (Also why do they say later this broke the gate?  It clearly functioned well enough to send us back, and we fought a reasonable distance away.)

Chapter break: This is where I"m just gonna mention there's some weirdly different rates on item drops (something you notice a lot when buying rarely).  Swords in treasure chests are super-rare, but Ershin fist drops are all over the place, for example.  Scias keeps his starting sword, the Jang'do, until literally the final dungeon (although I guess I could have given him Ryu's Flame Sword, but nah.).  Additionally, although it doesn't crop up yet, how do some people know about the Yorae Dragon, anyway?!  It literally doesn't exist, or possibly half-existed 600 years ago.  Like, the dragons, sure, and maybe the Wind Dragon told somebody?  But otherwise this makes even less sense than the townspeople talking about exactly what's in the treasure chest at the bottom of the monster-infested cave.  How do you know about this anyway?!

Sparrow: Haha.  Oh, these mischevious fairies, possibly murdering random passerby with their silly magic!  Hilarious.

Kahn 2: Notably easier than his earlier form, dunno what's up with that.  Since I've already commited the sin of using a Master, I move Ershin to Una to get better fist beatdown.

Nightmares: Most are EZ, but one of them is an utter pain because he's practically immune to everything.  High subtractive defense or something?  He ends up way tougher than the "real" boss, I have to unload all of Ryu's AP on him and go dragon and everything.  Every death he gets adds up too since I don't revive early thinking he'll be easy and I don't need to spend resources, and that's fewer people regenning AP in the back.  Anyway, yeah, Shining Blade did like 100 damage to him at most, lots of stuff bounces off, ugh.

Metal Gear Nina: Soldiers are EZ, even underleveled I can unload combos to win fast enough.  Also this plot point about the King's Sword is weird.  It's been in my inventory the whole time (the broken one, not the replacement?)  I guess the Empire taking it didn't translate to gameplay.  The refresher LP I'm looking at to make sure I don't forget something seems to think that Yuna also made a fake Sword to send to them?  Dunno about that, but maybe.

Wyndia: No boss, but Momo is a cool enough master I decide to break the no-masters thing for non-Ershin types and have everyone sign up with her (except Ershin).  More HP is good if the goal is "don't get OHKO'd" which is really all I care about in an LLG, and she doesn't screw up other stats, and she knows the importance of sleep-management in boss fights.  Good times.  Also the music in this town is utterly awful, possibly the worst piece in the game.  Also one of my 3 fairies dies for some reason, so I have to go harder core on the hunting it seems.  Ah, the fairy race: stupid and flighty left to their own devices, they just need a white dragon's guiding hand to tell them what labor to conduct.  They actually like doing it and WANT to be ordered around, no really.

Random goons from Ludia:
First off, what's everybody doing here?!  Shouldn't you have needed the damn Tower of Wind key?  And if you came in after how'd you get here before me?

Anyway, these guys are badasses and push me to the brink.  They kill everyone but Ryu and kill one of his dragon forms, but Ryu limps through.  We then almost have one of the rare cases of losing to a strictly easier fight in round 2 with the goons, as despite Scias's help, I have 3 party members at 1 HP and Ryu without much AP.  Luckily, Nina's learned Cyclone by now I believe so she has MT damage, and Scias has a healthy supply of Multivitamins to toss (share your stash with me, bro!) which combined with some revival helps me pull through.  Of which I'm very glad, doing this dungeon again would have been annoying.

Flip side, this definitely also plays into the streams crossing thing...  why does Scias help me out?  Because he hung around Ryu too much and got his fate tied in.  He doesn't actually have a reason and is confused himself.  Creepy.

Deis mind elemental pillars of doom:
Reset #2.  I hope you enjoy my ghosts haunting you forever, Ershin.  I misplace which pillars are weak to which elements, which isn't TOO bad as Cyclone is still MT, but non-Nina offense clowns around in the wrong way, and the pillars have nasty regen if you don't take out the supports (clearly intended for you to use combos here).  Anyway, the pillars are glass cannons: while I take down the Wind-weak one, the others wreck me pretty hard.  Their offense is pretty good if you let it get rolling!  Nina being the only good mage in this set doesn't help.

In attempt #2, I blitz the wind-weak one harder and use that to set up kills on the ones that aren't getting regen.  The wind-immune pillar isn't so bad when it's the final one remaining and can get taken down by Scias's magic.

Captain Rasso 3:
Well going Aura first certainly extends this up a bit, as I frustratingly wail on the nearly invincible boss!  Then Kaiser happens and I realize it's a plot fight.  Whew.
Ursula is kickin' rad, being way higher level than my team (L20 or 21 or so, when my team is L12-L16?) and also has MT magic.  Prepare for lots of Firestorm -> Cyclone/Simoon for the rest of the game.  She joins the cult of naps as well of course.

Kahn 3: Exciting.  Harder than Kahn 2, easier than Kahn 1 thanks to better items?  Tiger Fist still defintiely a potential problem.  Also what's up with the horrifically dated art from the 1910s & 20s you got from us of blacks. :(  I am horrible at the Nina fightan' minigame, as she really likes jumping to her doom after a bounce near the edge.  Takes me like 4 plays of the game to finally knock the soldier off. 

Evil below decks critters: They're exciting but I win with fire-wind combos, but it's close IIRC.

Glebe (rock monster on the isle of fire that controls the wind on the seas): An epic, drawn-out, knock-down fight.  Naps are very important to keep AP up; Firestorm -> Cyclone won't clear the tankier minions he summons in one turn, so he gets turns to mess with me with both a OHKO & an MT 2HKO.  Additionally I find out the hard way that Kaiser can just randomly beat up your own party members.  And that Glebe automatically counterattacks any PC attack with his own physical for ~600 damage or so, so get wrecked Cray.  (And to a lesser extent, Scias.)  This perma-locks some people as dead which means less naps!  (Yes, yes.  I found out later that you CAN target the back row with healing / revival, but at the time, I thought that you had to have someone in the front row target a front-row person for healing or revival, and if that person died before they got their action, welp, too bad.)  Anyway this battle has to take at least 30 minutes, with Ryu going through 2 full AP bars and only 3 characters surviving.  It turns out that Summon Minion costs AP, and furthermore Glebe is required to use it if he's alone, so I eventually run him out of AP after 20 or so castings of it, which renders him useless as he's required to keep attempting to summon more minions.  Hooray!

Also WTF Capcom at the Sea Dragon location, I'll admit I FAQ'd this one up.

And while we're at it and mentioning FAQy things.  Why do they even let you turn over a dragon form to random stereotype merchant without making it clear what you're doing?!  Sure it's a useless form, but that's a permanent loss.  Waiting for pottery is also boring.  Also the idea that Ursula can't find the capital seems faintly ludicrous; are there really no soldiers to talk with?  Bah, dropped balls, this arc of the plot from the salt flats to sailing to pabpab village to the edge of the Empire is bad.  Again, I respect the idea of flashing between Fou-Lu having crazy shit happen while Ryu is fishing, but bah.  I also think that investigating Fou-lu's tomb is something we could have reasonably wanted to do on our own, or be given a good excuse for.  Why is it a path between cities?!  Sigh.

I do make one notable last-ish purchase: the +10 Wisdom staff for Nina that gives her more CP AP regen.  Sweet.  Most of the rest of my war supply will go into items from here.

Anyway... 

Won-qu: Another badass!  Brutal MT damage that can OHKO a person and generally screw everyone up, decent magic, ridiculous BoF durability.  Good thing he occasionally uses Sanctuary & a crappy status move that never hits even into no status resistance.  This is another knock-down, drag-out 20-30 minute fight with lots of needed napping.  Luckily I'd figured out by now how to heal the back row, which helps a lot.

Also, screw you red eye.  I ignored the damage because it was lulzworthy, didn't realize that was coming out of my max HP, although going back outside for a save is honestly not a bad idea anyway since the next boss is kinda random and also tough...

Fuzzy guard dice: REVOLUTION IS THE DEVIL.  That's the "invert everyone's HP" move, and yes, he can follow it up with MT magic.  So full life -> 1 HP -> ded.  I eventually learn that I need to keep my HP at around half to be safe, since the MT magic isn't super dangerous and isn't a 2HKO if Revolution didn't screw me up.  I fight this boss on July 4 of course, so revolutions are tough.  I have maybe 3 Ammonias left by the end.  At least Ershin's physical build finally has a reason to be relevant vs. the magic immune die...  from checking Meeple's boss topic, it's not that Ursula is a super mage, it's that bosses in this game tend to have crappy Fire resistance and great physical resistance, much to Cray's displeasure.  I bought him an upgrade for his log at some point and regretted it since, Cray is an item boy and I should just forget he has an attack.  (At least Scias's magic is okay, especially with Nina for Cyclone -> Ice Blast/Lightning).  And Ershin seems to do fine damage with Blizzard & Quake anyway even without building for it (hey, she has L3s and no one else does!), so sheesh, I see now why Ershin is apparently a fighter who turns into a mage.  Weird.

I notice I can buy Vitamins from the Fairy Village, which is excellent since MT healing is awful or non-existent.  I think Nina just learned Vitalize around now?  But that's just 400 HP or so of healing.  Vitamins, with 1000 HP for everyone, are much better.  Healing items so useful in pacifist underlevel BoF4.

Undead dudes @Astana: EZ, they get rekt.  While we're here, though, the timelines are a little weird - lots of running back & forth from Astana & the road to the capital and the town in-between.  You'd think that a major emergency like what happened here would have had more repercussions.  Also Yuna, you can cut back on your shit-eating grin, your little experiment got all the staff killed you'd need to fire the Carronade anyway, so I don't think your sacrifice plan would have worked that well.  Also give me back the damn Dragonslayer, that weapon was sweet.

A-Tur: He uses Frost Breath on turn 1 and wrecks me, but his AI seems to use Sanctuary way more often than Won-Qu?  Maybe just good luck, but those extra waste-a-turns help a lot until I can grind down his Frost Breath to something more manageable.  I try out Kaiser again (possibly vs. Won-qu too?) and am pleased to see that the berserk rate seems smaller, he mostly just spams Kaiser Breath now.   Also Chedo as a dungeon is great, a good reminder that Fou-lu is in fact the bad guy here.

Castle: Sheesh this place can be confusing, but it's pretty interesting, too.  This is what Suikoden Tierkreis got wrong: I'm fine with a labyrinth that's flavorful, interesting, and distinct.  Just don't give me bland passages with nothing in 'em.  A fine final dungeon, except for the part where it's pretty hard to tell where the Blue Charm is and that you can pick it up.  On that note...

Dragonne: Lots of ST, so he eats up a bunch of Ammonias (the main thing my money has gone into), but not too bad otherwise...  except when he uses Wither, the MT ID spell.  Why does this one have an okay hit rate when all the other status moves in game are so awful?!  He nails 2/3 with it the first time he uses it.  Anyway, ST focus is still not going to win vs. sandbagging revival, so I outlast.

Tyrant:

Reset #3.  I may be at the end of my rope here.  I *barely* survive Dark Wave - somehow - it deals ~1000 damage to my full front row, leaving them on their knees at 50-150 HP or so.  Ryu can go Kaiser ASAP and he can tank things and hopefully not kill me, but ow ow ow, I just can't deal with constant near MT OHKOs that are faster than me.  Vitamins only go so far when Fou can also just outspeed and smash the Vitamins user dead, and I have a limited supply as well.  Not sure what the right strategy is here!  And since I know Astral will be coming after this, and it's a looong walk down + scenes in order to refight, my patience to give this too many tries may be low.  I may have to break my vows once more, like I did for Maman.  For reference, Ryu/Nina/Ursula are L27, Cray is L26, Urshin is L25, and Scias is L22 (he managed to end both A-Tur AND Dragonne dead, and they gave out mad XP).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: July 13, 2015, 10:30:58 AM »
You are crazy under level by normal play through standards.

I am pretty sure there is ways to resist Astral, but I forget themechanics.  Meep will have documented in topic though.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: July 13, 2015, 11:49:25 AM »

No, not the bees? Not the bees not the bees not the beeeeees

Incidentally I found a Wicker Man demon in Soul Hackers

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110926003339/megamitensei/images/8/82/Wicker_Man.jpg

In general I think the game has a lot more demons from really local folklore instead of just religion, which brings some fresh air to the SMT series.
I found artbook scans for (I think?) all of Soul Hackers's demons.
http://imgur.com/a/B5KEA
Kaneko just keeps on giving. I wish he could design the next Dark Souls or something.
Demon conversations have also been the best in the entire series, so the demon part of the game is top notch. So many interesting convos I regret not recording.

Plotwise, I don't like how the hacking team is only reacting to events and never provoking them. I don't know how they ot this far to be honest.

I just beat the VR Haunted Mansion. Been pumping Namissa's agility so she goes first and cast Mabufula. Randoms are dying, the last few bosses have been really difficult though. I like how most battles are against a summoner + five demons so you can get pretty creative. (I barely won one boss battle by charming one of the summoned enemy demons) Allied demon damage has been non existant lately but they can still contribute in interesting ways.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: July 13, 2015, 12:40:08 PM »
FF5 - Post-Ronka, I'm tackling the meteorite bosses. Titan was a chump, 1,000 Needles 3HKOs his ass and equipping robes for MDef ensured my squishy party wouldn't get MT OHKOed by his Earth Shaker death counter. Purobolos swarm is next. Not being able to buy Gaia Gear until world 2 -almost- makes me sad I didn't roll Thiefahahahahaha who the hell am I kidding.

EDIT: Final Fantasy Autobattle During Wartime - Cecil event's boss rush is shamefully easy. Championed, no Mythril involved, on my first try. Just packed an Ifrit for Scarmiglione 1 (OHKOs the support fair and square, no shenanigans involved), Sentinel's Grimoire for Dark Knight Cecil and went at it. I won't say no to the free Major Growth Eggs and crafting orbs, though. All that's left now is dungeon-clearing for amassing more Mythril (hopefully the next event banner will have more interesting drops), finishing them all would hand me enough Mythril for an 11-pull and a 3-pull, which'd net decent odds of landing an acceptable 5-rarity equip.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 01:27:28 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: July 13, 2015, 03:42:43 PM »
FF6 - Up to the start of the WoR.

IAF. EZ, Egdar's drill don't care and Terra has Thundara. Celes kinda got shafted on attack magic but has status so that's fun. Really, the only thing of note here is that 1xEarring Trance'd Terra hit 9500 damage on Ultros with Fira. Yeowch! Octopus soup!

See? Cuz the refrance. did u see it

FC. This area's a lot more fun playing with all the statuses Edgar and Celes have, and using the Assassin's Dagger for ID. Dragons are weak to stop? Cool. Megagigawiggas gets ID'd first blow? Cool.

Dramatic cutscene is dramatic. Still overall good, but...man, Dog Hitler and Kefka trying to get Celes to join them so they can rule the universe as father and daughter* (and apparently mate with Kefka? Ew.) only makes any sense with the originally intended story arc for Celes. I really wish they kept that in (but still dumped EmoLocke and SquallTerra those ideas are stupid), it would actually have been pretty neat and taken away the only trite thorn in an otherwise awesome scene.

*str wrs refrance. pile. taller. doesnt stop getting taller.

Speaking of, I think I should clarify. I'm bringing up issues I have with the writing because well Zenny but honestly I've been pretty impressed with how almost everything stands the test of time (though yes adjusting standards for SNES space limitations). For the most part everything is actually good. There's a huge amount of emphasis on characterizing everyone, and a lot of focus on character vignettes, and it all works really well actually. Really, my only qualm is with WoB Celes. It really does feel like her character changed completely but they drove the plot forward with the original ideas in mind... and it doesn't help that aside from her scenes in the Opera house she's actually rather dull. No real backstory to speak of, absolutely not played for comedy (nor really should she be?), and everything about her personality meshes poorly with the role the writers wanted her to play with the plot.

Really, had they kept her being more Renegade Shepard all the scenes I've nitpicked would have played off beautifully. Still, despite that the game does a good job of making me skim over it because everything else is just so good.

Sidenote, hate hate hate hate hate is gone but honestly the new GBA dialogue is better.

Reset number 2 on the boss during the countdown, which really shouldn't have happened given how quickly I beat it on my retry.  Terra got killed and Celes' doom timer ran out and I couldn't deal. I also healed her once because I forgot she had fire absorption, and that lead to my downfall.

Incidentally, after you reach the airship if you get bored and walk around and get into battle with not enough time to escape, it still counts as you waiting for Shadow. So that's good to know I guess.

Did both scenarios, save Cid and Cid dies. Goddamn in the age of the SNES was Cid Dies ballsy as fuck. Cid lives is really dumb and terrible but I can see why they added it in. Definitely remember doing Cid Lives when I replayed it on the PSX because ballsy fiction was less important to me than the comfort of knowing I could prevent bad things from happening if I just tried hard enough.

Still haven't really decided on a 4th party member for WoR sections. Terra and Celes are obvious locks, and I'll almost certainly use Edgar, but after that... maybe Mog? Relm? I'm half tempted to just roll for whatever characters I'm gonna rescue / use for the next dungeon so my party balances out for the split dungeons but honestly either way the game is going to crumple to my will.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 04:13:09 PM by Makkotah »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2010 on: July 13, 2015, 05:26:35 PM »
Did both scenarios, save Cid and Cid dies. Goddamn in the age of the SNES was Cid Dies ballsy as fuck. Cid lives is really dumb and terrible but I can see why they added it in. Definitely remember doing Cid Lives when I replayed it on the PSX because ballsy fiction was less important to me than the comfort of knowing I could prevent bad things from happening if I just tried hard enough.

I think it's a masterful piece of fuckery to have it possible to prevent an incredibly sad thing, just you didn't know how.  It feels like FF6 getting into metafiction, especially for the era.  If you paid closer attention to the fish and tried to figure out how it worked based on the item descriptions and what Cid says, you can probably find out how to save him, but the game makes it so you have to scramble to save him (since his health ticks down no matter what you're doing).  It's a really effective way of putting you in the character's shoes the first time you play through it.  So Cid lives is important in that it puts the responsibility for Cid dying on you, the player, for doing it wrong, and not just the story.  Even though it's trite.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: July 13, 2015, 05:39:19 PM »
Dramatic cutscene is dramatic. Still overall good, but...man, Dog Hitler and Kefka trying to get Celes to join them so they can rule the universe as father and daughter* (and apparently mate with Kefka? Ew.) only makes any sense with the originally intended story arc for Celes. I really wish they kept that in (but still dumped EmoLocke and SquallTerra those ideas are stupid), it would actually have been pretty neat and taken away the only trite thorn in an otherwise awesome scene.

I've always felt this scene made more sense with Terra than Celes to boot, and it was only done with Celes because Kitase admitted he shoved Celes into random scenes she had no intention of being in because "meh, favorite character, don't care."  If you look at it, what makes Celes stand out as a person that could allow for "magical progeny" or anything?  Because she's a Magitek Knight, a factor we know is now obsolete when Magicite came into play?  Additionally, Celes has had her loyalties tested already, and she clearly was not on the Empire's side, what makes Gestahl think it's going to work now?  Shear arrogance, but I digress, she was in a similar situation in the Factory and told the Empire to piss off there.

Terra's case, Half Esper makes the "Let's get magical babies" thing a lot more sensical, she hasn't had her loyalties truly tested and pushed, and it'd moment she'd have to actually make a decision.  Furthermore, the scene leading into the Floating Continent suggests Terra has more reason to go there (the Floating Continent rises I mean.)  I fully admit there are some biases here, and not willing to go to lengths to defend this, just a random thought I've had.

Though again, Kitase pretty much said this scene and the start of the WoR were not intended for Celes, he put there because the scenes were not written for any characters in particular, and thus needed someone to fill the gap, and being Celes was his favorite, he often defaulted to her, so she got several extra scenes she was never intended to have, for better or worse.

Also worth noting that if Cid lives, some WoR related stuff doesn't really make sense.  Case in point, Celes talks about "losing all hope" to Sabin which doesn't actually happen unless Cid dies (she shows some fear for the worst, sure, but never "ALL IS LOST!!"  More importantly though is her ending; the object races back to get is Locke's bandanna, which if Cid dies, makes sense why she'd care about (even explained if you didn't recruit Locke, so there's no ambiguity as to why.)  If Cid lives?  She never gets the bandanna (especially if you don't recruit Locke!), let alone puts any sort of sentimental value into it.  It honestly feels like the "Cid lives" thing was added after the fact, because they wanted an interactive sequence and it'd be a total waste of time if you forced people to sit through this "feed Cid" scenario with nothing but inevitable failure.
I just wish there was some legitimate incentive to saving Cid other than "you did good!"  Even something as simple as a bonus cutscene if you have Celes and Locke in your party would have been nice.  I can see why no gameplay incentive since Saving Cid is partially luck reliant (it's possible to do everything right and still fail because RNG hates you), and having to choose between better narrative and better gameplay feels like a poor move.  Heck, they avoided that earlier with the Genji Glove vs. Gauntlet , where you can get the Genji Glove and still see the war room scene if you do things properly (in short, say "no", talk to soldier, then tell Banon yes.  Scene will play out as normal only skip the "Take this Gauntlet!" dialog.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 05:43:19 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: July 13, 2015, 05:50:59 PM »
I finally got a 360 on the cheap, so I've been playing through Lost Odyssey.  A little bit into disc 2 now.

Some general thoughts:
  • The voice acting is cheesy in that appealing way often typical of a slightly earlier era.
  • The memory novels would have been a lot better with voiced narration.  I actually find them a very interesting way of shedding light on Kaim's (and later Seth's) backstory, but voiced narration would have added a lot here, I feel.
  • I'm glad meeting Lirum knocked Kaim out of his "insufferable twat" phase.
  • Enemies in this game are far more competent than anything Sakaguchi ever produced at Square, at least up to this point.  You have a lot of skillset pliability on the immortals, but even randoms have pretty competent damage sometimes, and most bosses have put up a very solid fight thus far (the tank boss at the beginning of disc 2 is the big exception sticking out to me).  I think the single biggest contributing factor to this so far is that boss damage usually outpaces healing unless you have multiple characters doing it, and some of the bosses have had mechanics that punish stalling.
  • Holy shit the amount of hidden treasure in this game puts even Dragon Quest to shame.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: July 13, 2015, 05:58:21 PM »
Given LO's style of voice acting it might be for the best that the dreams weren't VAed. I don't think the awkward/cheesy style fit the rest of the game's tone either to be honest, but it would be a very poor fit indeed for the dreams.

The game's challenge doesn't hold up as well as I'd like (and not at all if you get your hands on certain broken skills) but it still has some moments later, probably my favourite thing about the game that isn't the dream sequences.

Maybe.

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: July 13, 2015, 07:35:03 PM »
Finding Teddy 2: Finding Teddy 2 is a matroidvania which stars a nameless little girl and has great environments. She has similar move-sets as Zelda 2 link, but the controls and collision detection are clunkier. The game is still perfectly playable as long as you're using a controller, if you use a keyboard you will learn to hate your life.

Anyway, it's intro time. Well, it would have been intro time if the intro had loaded, but it only did so partially. The music and most importantly, the "press any key to skip" prompt, was successfully loaded, but the scrolling text which is supposed to appear was not. So, let's Youtube the intro.

Exidus, a monster world, is ruled by a tyrannical king called Tarant. Tarant was also a giant spider in Finding Teddy, but Finding Teddy 2 doesn't bother with that detail. Anyway, the king was as mentioned, a tyrant and consequently, nobody wanted to be his friend. The other monsters were unsurprisingly unhappy as well.

Tarant decided to open a magical gate to the human world and look for a friend there. The gate opened right into the bedroom of a little girl sleeping with her teddy bear. Tarant had the genius idea of claiming the teddy bear as his friend with the logic that an inert and lifeless object cannot reject him. Yeah, we have a real winner here. However, he forgot to close the gate, so the girl followed into the monster world.

After a thousand and one travels, she finally found her teddy bear. Well, it wasn't really a thousand and one travels since Finding Teddy is rather a short game, but maybe it felt so since she got impaled, crushed and eaten alive a dozen or so times. See, while Finding Teddy 2 is a metroidvania, Finding Teddy is an adventure game. The girl had no means of defending herself, so whenever she encountered one of the sad monsters, she had  two options; either she figures out how to make it happy or she meets a brutal death.

Anyway, she eventually finds her teddy bear and also manages to befriend Tarant who at that point had realized that while an object doesn't judge him, it also isn't much of a friend. He returns the girl and her teddy bear to her world. Tarant then figures out that being a douche bag isn't the way to go and start being nice which both makes his subjects happier and removes the need to look for friends in other worlds.

Well, most subjects are happier. It seems that while Tarant didn't know better than to be a douche bag, some monsters are more of a "evil for the sake of evil" type. One such monster is a magician named Anguis. He manages to kill Tarant in combat and takes over Exidus. To prevent the monsters from getting the idea to flee into the human world (presumable Tarant told them about it and assumed everyone there is as friendly as the little girl) Anguis seals the gate to the monster world inside the library of worlds. However, Tarant had created four eggs of great power that can break the seal. Anguis solves that problem by sealing them as well, each one in a separate world with it's own monster to guard it, hoping that nobody will slaughter her way trough the monsters and recover them.

After that, the game claims that the reign of Anguis can begin, but that can't be true. As we will see shortly, the nameless girl can make it from her world to the library of worlds and the world of monsters is sealed from the human world. This means the world of monsters has to be sealed from the library of worlds. Also, Anguis is in the library of the worlds which means he just sealed himself out of the monster world.

Anyway, Tarant's soul had apparently in time escaped to the library of worlds and makes its way into the human world. There he finds himself in a dark room with the teddy bear. He possesses the corpse. Now, the game calling it a corpse can mean two things, either the teddy bear is a flayed koala or whoever translated the game isn't very good at English. You see plenty of signs to the latter explanation during the intro, but the first alternative can not be fully discredited once we learn more about the nameless girl.

The girl is this time not sleeping with her teddy bear, she is sitting in front of a TV and playing video games. The power is suddenly cut, the room gets dark and the girl seems to know something is going on. She nervously makes her way towards a chest and from there produces a sword and a shield. So, while Tarant learned that being a douche bag isn't the way to go, the girl learned that that being defenseless and getting brutally killed over and over isn't the way to go either. She holds up the sword with the right hand and then... holds it with her left hand. Turns out she's facing her left handed direction.

With a sword in hand, whichever hand it may be, the girl is no longer nervous and makes her way down the cellar. There she finds her teddy bear, floating in the air. The teddy bear being in the cellar is a clear sign that she outgrew it, but I guess you're never to old for a floating teddy bear possessed by the soul of a giant spider. She follows Tarant into the library of worlds and the gameplay begins.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: July 13, 2015, 08:18:26 PM »
Ffrk

Cecil event beaten! Sold the raise,  and now I'm free to farm and beat the leftover elite dungeons I missed.
hurray!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: July 13, 2015, 08:40:05 PM »
Given LO's style of voice acting it might be for the best that the dreams weren't VAed. I don't think the awkward/cheesy style fit the rest of the game's tone either to be honest, but it would be a very poor fit indeed for the dreams.

The game's challenge doesn't hold up as well as I'd like (and not at all if you get your hands on certain broken skills) but it still has some moments later, probably my favourite thing about the game that isn't the dream sequences.

Yeah, to be clear they'd have needed at least halfway competent narration, say, something on par with Ondore's narration in FF12.

The VA quality is all over the place in LO in general, and as best as I can tell it was a problem of direction (similar to FF10), rather than a problem with the actors themselves - nearly all of them have extensive resumes showing their capability of quality work.  (In some cases it may also be a factor of them playing very far out of their usual character type.)  Since I enjoy this topic, I'm going to go into it a bit further, for the characters I've seen to this point, in order of appearance (roughly):

Kaim's VA is Keith Ferguson, whose most notable role is probably that of Basch in FF12.  He's also responsible for a number of sound-alike/celebrity impersonation roles on the likes of Robot Chicken.  As far as I can tell, Lost Odyssey is the only time he's played a leading role, although Basch comes close arguably.  His work in LO is notably worse than his work in FF12 (which was a year earlier), and you can occasionally hear the Basch voice come through on some of Kaim's lines, which is kind of weird.
Seth's VA is Tara Strong, who needs little introduction.  She's using largely the same style of voice she did for Rikku in FF10 overall, I feel, and she's one of the best voices in the game overall.
Jansen's VA is Michael McGaharn, and he has probably the shortest voice-acting resume of the cast, with his only notable roles before LO being Knuckles in the original Sonic Adventure and Ken in a Barbie video game.  He hasn't done any further VA work since, either.  His voie works well enough for the kind of character Jansen is (as an aside: as much of a prick as Jansen is, I love that he exists, and he injects some much-needed humor in what would otherwise would be, at least thus far, an extremely depressing game).
Gongora's VA is Jesse Corti, who has a prolific career in voice over work, though mostly bit roles.  He's probably most famous as Lefou in Disney's Beauty and the Beast.  It runs in the family, too; his son voiced Neku Sakuraba in TWEWY.  Gongora is kinda overacted, though frankly it feels deliberate and it doesn't work altogether poorly.  The oddity really is that he sounds like a Disney villain (fitting, since he was a villain sidekick) in a game where he's playing a much darker villain than you see in Disney.
Tolten's VA is Chad Brannon.  Lost Odyssey is, to date, his only voice role; before LO, his career was mostly as a daytime soap opera actor, and since LO, he's been one of Fox's voices for network bumpers.  (The short "commercials" that a network airs for its own shoes during a commercial break.)  He's one of the weaker voices in the cast, I think, but isn't truly awful for what he is.
Cooke's VA is Kath Soucie, who also needs little introduction given a 30-year resume.  Like Seth, she's one of the highlights of the cast, and she manages to be a pretty credible kid character while also (thus far) not being annoying. 
Mack's VA is Nika Futterman, and is definitely the one I would say is playing well out of usual character type here, her other notable roles including Hey Arnold's Olga, Archer's Sia, and League of Legends' Vayne.  Mack hasn't really talked enough to make a judgement on quality though.  My friends watching the game on stream are _endlessly_ amused by the fact that Mack has the same VA as Vayne.
Finally, Ming's VA is Salli Saffioti, whose VA career is relatively young (Lost Odyssey looks to have been only her second voice role).  She's probably most notable for Monster High work on television; her most recent game role was the voice of Shiva in FF14: A Realm Reborn.  She's pretty good for the role she's playing in LO I think.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: July 13, 2015, 11:32:45 PM »
  • The memory novels would have been a lot better with voiced narration.
My nemesis

Soul Hackers: The plot of the game is that the MMORPG organization is manufacturing soul stealing computer chips and distributing them to everybody in the city

Anyway Shemyaza destroyed me. That guy has MT Confuse, MT 2HKO ice/fire/lightning damage (that inflicts turn loss) and high MT 2HKO Megidolaone. He has insane HP and is immune to ice damage of course, so Nemissa is just a healbot.
Edit: And he looks like this http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111002221749/megamitensei/images/8/81/Samyaza.jpg

I must have tried like 6 different setups before just leaving the dungeon in rage to improve my team (Step 1: Buy Me Patra Stones and Balms of life at OK's store, Step 2: Fuse my best demon into a sword, Step 3: Spend too much money on summoning a demon with Rakukaja)

At least this worked well. Rakukaja rules hard. I may be mistake, but I think that in Soul Hackers, buffs are way better than debuffs. I think they're about equal in every other SMT game.[/list]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 11:36:03 PM by Fenrir »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: July 14, 2015, 01:35:04 AM »
Breath of Fire 4

Yaaayyyy!  Glad you enjoyed it, agree w/most everything stated. 

Wyndia: Also the music in this town is utterly awful, possibly the worst piece in the game.

Look at this wrong opinion though.  The wrongest of opinions.  Shame.  *Wyndia bell chime* Shame.  *Wyndia bell chime* Shame. 

Waiting for pottery is also boring. 

In all 8-10 times I've played that game I have always gone for pottery and always had it work by immediately stepping out of the town, reentering and talking to the dude again.  Bing, pot's done.  FAQs and people insist that you have to wait or something.  It is a mystery.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: July 14, 2015, 02:00:30 AM »
Don't shame bell me bro.  It cuts deep.

As a side comment, I know that NotMiki hypes the Empire battle themes up a bunch (Men at War + the boss theme...  Raging Emperor's Banquet I think?), but I actually like the Alliance territory boss theme more I think ("Bastard Sword").  Nice & epic, loops well.  ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WdibZ37hdw )

In all 8-10 times I've played that game I have always gone for pottery and always had it work by immediately stepping out of the town, reentering and talking to the dude again.  Bing, pot's done.  FAQs and people insist that you have to wait or something.  It is a mystery.

Huh, I got the pottery commissioned right away, then explored the ruins, came back, and it wasn't ready (the slightly annoying/boring part).  Then I saved and found out that yes, I was losing Mutant if I didn't wait for pottery.  Then I went over to the Abandoned Village and did some minor combo practice on the immortal trees there and walked through another dungeon looking for anything I missed, came back, and it was ready.  Go figure.  People on the Internet claim it might be related to # of battles, so maybe it's "after 25 battles or if you have X battles total?!"

--
Anyway, I left the Castle and discovered that the useless* Dragon Blade from a treasure chest sells for 30K zenny, so I may come back with some better armor for round 2 with Tyrant.  We'll see how it goes. 

*Useless because it's heavier than the Flame Sword and Ryu's physicals don't matter since apparently his dragon forms scale off base stats, not equipped stats.  And if Ryu is out of AP, he heads to the back lines to Drowse some and recover AP.  Side note: Drowse can fire off if you're status immune.  You still get the HP/AP healing, but sleep misses.  Power naps indeed!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2020 on: July 14, 2015, 02:20:51 AM »
Though again, Kitase pretty much said this scene and the start of the WoR were not intended for Celes, he put there because the scenes were not written for any characters in particular, and thus needed someone to fill the gap, and being Celes was his favorite, he often defaulted to her, so she got several extra scenes she was never intended to have, for better or worse.

The start of the WoR stuff not being designed for her seems like a very happy accident, then, since it parallels the early game with Terra so much and she is a clear foil.  A character with power is assisted in a time of temporary vulnerability by someone who seems altruistic but actually needs her help?  If that was an accident then it worked out really well.

Unless you mean that they arbitrarily chose her as the PoV character for the start of the WoR and then worked from there using a parallel situation turned up to 11 on bleakness because you're now in a shitty world, that would make a ton more sense.

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: July 14, 2015, 02:40:43 AM »
FF5 Fiesta: I wandered the world and went to all the places I hadn't been to yet, got myself some Bard songs and such. Then I went and fought the defenses of the flying city, and got walled hard by Sol Cannon or whatever it's called. The Aging+MT 2HKO damage that bleeds was a little much. Then I discovered I could take out the things that were launching the missiles. Funnily enough, I'm also about 90% certain that taking them out damages the main cannon by a fair amount, because I've definitely done way more damage to the cannon and not touched the missiles than in my successful run of that battle. (4-6k on the successful run, whereas I've had a run where I did 6-8k to the main cannon and never touched the missile pods)

Running through the Ronka Ruins now, and holy crap. For a setup that is mostly Knight classes, I severely rely on blitz tactics. I either win in about 2 turns or people begin dropping like flies. Luckily I stocked up on revival items and potions, but given the best healing I have are storebought potions, those can only get me so far.

Made it through to the end, and now I'm at the Flying Snake boss, and I am just totally walled. I'm hitting it with every element I have, as well as elements I don't have, but it deals about as much damage to me as I deal to it (not a lot. about 70-180 each) and it has way more health. Best damage I managed was 256. I have absolutely no clue how I am supposed to beat it.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: July 14, 2015, 02:55:54 AM »
Soul Cannon has 12500 HP, actually, but yeah, not being hit by Aging goes a long way to making sure you have enough damage. Taking out the Launchers doesn't lower the main boss' HP but it's absolutely worth doing; I've never done a playthrough where it wasn't.

Archeoaevis is going to be a total bitch with your team, yes. The good news is that storebought Hi-Potions (500 healing!) are very close, but that's of no help to you now, and just waliing on him physically isn't great especially since his defence starts out very high. If you want some specific help, try catching some Ronkan Knights, which when released will use an attack which does high damage, possibly enough to take out each of his forms in one go (each form has 1600 HP), but I'd hit him once or twice first to be sure. I highly recommend using these early in the fight, as his defences get lower with each form, so he'll be relatively easier to beat on. The second form, in particular, has by far the nastiest attack in the fight, Frost, which you'll want to avoid. It shows up again in the fifth and final form but is very rare then.

Maybe.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: July 14, 2015, 02:58:14 AM »
As a side comment, I know that NotMiki hypes the Empire battle themes up a bunch (Men at War + the boss theme...  Raging Emperor's Banquet I think?), but I actually like the Alliance territory boss theme more I think ("Bastard Sword").  Nice & epic, loops well.  ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WdibZ37hdw )

Nope, I pretty much agree with you there.  What I hype is most of the town themes.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: July 14, 2015, 03:56:04 AM »
FF5 - Battle on the Big Bridge is awesome as always. Gilgamesh 2 is kinda unimpressive when you can 1,000 Needles cheese him away (if nothing else, trivializes Shell/Protect and it's still my best spammable damage). White Wind's also kind of lulzy, usually full or close enough to full MT healing for that MP is silly. Meanwhile, I'm considering shuffling Dancer between Lenna and Faris because there's a -serious- offensive payoff for running Summon as a backup skillset on Dancer and MP draining also synergizes nicely with that. The game just can't catch a break.

(Incidentally, Abductor is horrible. Incidentally deux, way too much stuff gets nailed by Death Claw. Incidentally trois, Beastmaster's Catches are pretty fun, but, in addition to chipping enemies to catch them being kind of a pain in the ass, a lot of them kinda get trivialized by the death combo that is Summoner+Blue Mage, which is a pity given how Blue Mage -also- has tools to make catching beasts more practical. At least, Control is also nice. Though their game would massively benefit from you being able to hold multiple monsters instead of just one like it happens here.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 04:02:47 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....