Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194370 times)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #875 on: April 09, 2015, 07:27:58 PM »
Shit you can't co-op with the covenant of champions on.
Oh well I"ll have a mediocre but cool build then. Twinblade with max Agility and magic weapon? Power stanced greataxes? Belmont mode?

Edit: Oh yeah, my god will be Calib, god of disease
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:30:27 PM by Fenrir »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #876 on: April 09, 2015, 07:35:32 PM »
I would recommend at least doing the lighthouse stuff.

You should definitely do playthrough b.  It adds a lot of detail to the game.  The game is decent about expediting the second, third, and fourth playthrough so you end up not wasting much time.

Also the second time through you only have to play a little under half the game, since it starts over when Kaine rejoins you.  Then you can get endings B, C and D all in the same runthrough if you achieve the requirements (it's 100% completion of the weapon collection, right?)

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: April 09, 2015, 08:01:03 PM »
Pillars of Eternity: The story quickly got a lot more interesting. The events in the asylum for people with trouble souls were interesting and cool. I have so for no idea what the villain really is trying to do, but the game has given me enough material to imagine all kinds of really bad stuff they could do.

The main character's special ability is also great. It gives you a good reason for why she/he can figure things out other people cannot without felling like it grants godlike powers. It also means that instead of talking to NPCs and have them say boring on liners or reveal things you'd normally not reveal to strangers, you can just check their souls.

Mechanically, there's problems with the game. In Baldur's Gate, I would re-roll my character until she got really high rolls. I ended up with a fighter who after using tomes, had 19/19/19 in the stats that matters and her stat total was considerable higher than even Imoen's. In this game I don't have a stat total that blows everyone else's away, all I can do is to distribute it more efficiently. Nevertheless, I feeling for more that my character is carrying the party than I did in Baldur's Gate. Minsc and Keldorn weren't as strong as my character was, but they still contributed well to combat. In this game, all companions are ridiculously far behind the main character. I'm not heavily min/maxing either, I just got 16 in both Might and Dexterity and I left Intelligence at 10 despite that being the third most important stat for fighters.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 09, 2015, 08:47:54 PM »
Shit you can't co-op with the covenant of champions on.

I thought I read they were changing that for Scholar? But I can't find anything about that now I think that I must have imagined it, like Skittlebrau.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 10, 2015, 01:23:33 AM »
You can change gods every time you put on the ring, Fen. It's actually pretty well done in that way... they should have just made the ring free though ffs.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: April 10, 2015, 03:30:51 AM »
I was bitching about it with Laggy last night (because bitching and swearing is all I do when I play Souls games or any game).  It should just have that effect based of your friends list for the respective system.

Also Zenny Zen, when you play does running around feel like there isn't much fluid movement between directions?  Laggy didn't complain about it, but mine was as fucked up as original DS2 was when I played it and I had to grab a thing to make the directional controls not fucking shite.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 10, 2015, 03:49:28 AM »
DS2: That blast came from the Death Star. That thing's operational!

Old Ones are down but OCD compels me to deal with RRA (ugh) and chario (double ugh) before running to the castle. Found full Aurous set in a box, shadow set is obviously farmable without NG+/ascetic shenanigans this time (the latter is encouraging, I think I could put together a fairly accurate Maiden in Black now if only the domino mask is actually a realistically obtainable thing too). I hope the same can be said about the monastery set because fuuuuuck getting even 3/4 of that was a bitch in vanilla DS2. Speaking of, I found an NPC who thought it would be a good idea to match up the Pharis hat, monastery shirt, and black witch bottom. The latter is just a pair of shoes, for reference. Have I mentioned the new phantoms are great? Try calling yourself Badass Ray dude it would be more accurate.

Also at some point a desert sorceress' skirt phased through her body and I could see forever. Apparently they've got thongs on under there. The more you know.

I can't say I mind Pursuers falling from the sky because at least they always drop twinklies. You should always look on the bright side of your life you guys.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 10, 2015, 03:51:09 AM »
Yeah, agreed. Multiplayer is stupidly byzantine.

Nope, I had no problems whatsoever with the directional movement, though I suppose I'm pretty underwhelmed by omnidirectional rolling. If anything I was amazed at how smooth everything was compared to DS1 but that's probably more framerate than anything.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 10, 2015, 03:56:02 AM »
After playing Bloodborne for a couple weeks, let me just tell you what a relief it is to come back to a game where I can even fucking tell if any other players are available for co-op in my area and I don't have to expend consumables on waiting indefinitely for people that in all probability are not even there, not that I have any indicators to tell me that thank you very much. (Planned co-op is fine in BB, it's casual multiplayer that in my experience is not, and it's kind of shocking in comparison to instantly find summons or help anywhere I look in DS2.)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: April 10, 2015, 05:44:39 AM »
The thing that bugs me on controller is like, if you are running in a tight circle in one point do you do little tight circles or octagons?

We should just 3 man coop some shit tonight and I can see for myself.  We can be Team Laggy because of how fucking terrible Aus-US-GLRSNIPN connection would be.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: April 10, 2015, 06:15:30 AM »
K I think I need a new character for that. I made a pyro but my intention is to go Company of Champions and 1P/Hard Mode that shit.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 10, 2015, 06:58:39 AM »
I would run something other than my Fistguy as well.

I think maybe mage triple team spit roasting shit?  Fighter/Thief/Cleric holy trinity maybe?

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 10, 2015, 07:56:04 AM »
Shield Only
Whip Only
Twinblade Only

DO IT

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: April 10, 2015, 05:46:22 PM »
Zenny, stop insulting me by saying that I could worship anyone but Calib, god of disease.

Oh yeah guys you might be tempted like I was by power stanced twinblades. Don't, it's a trap. They get the same moveset as other weapons, so you don't get to look like a ridiculous star wars guy.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 10, 2015, 07:14:29 PM »
I wanted to be Queen Anime so bad.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 11, 2015, 02:41:34 AM »
DkS2: Stark contrast with Bloodborne, DkS2 feels way more videogamey. I think it's the 60 FPS. It just looks weird.

Bloodborne: Got way more into the chalice dungeons, I'm starting to really dig them despite every potential issue I could have with them happening.
I'm close to the queen!

Bosses are real damage sponges here, sometimes this doesn't work at all and sometimes it's perfect. I loved the battle against Frenzied Beast, and some Pthemuran dudes. I liked the fight against Darkpalbeast and Evil Camera a lot less.

I said adios to PvP for Harry as I reached crazy high levels and boosted Vit / Arcane to 50 and Endurance ot 40. Now I'm raising Vit to infinity
I did the regular chalice dungeons, but made a cursed rotten disgusting one just because, and I've found some nice gems there.
My Ludwig sword does some ridiculous fire damage now, 200 + 349 IIRC. I'm going to run through NG+ in like 2 hours. (NG+ is just Pops -> Vic -> Emo guys -> Only the PS4 can handle that many spiders at once -> 1 redux -> Grant us eeeeeyes -> Sexy wet shirt nurse right?)

I needed a Living String to make a chalice dungeon. I looked at the wiki to see how to get one, it mentioned one being in some main game in an area I missed, so I went there. Oh my god, I'm glad I got to witness that with minimal spoilers.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 09:53:52 AM by Fenrir »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 11, 2015, 06:04:07 AM »
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Just finished the fourth world. Game isn't quite as tough as DKCR, but it's still a pretty difficult game. I am enjoying all of the colors and wildlife present in the game though. The swimming mechanics are actually pretty cool! Even the water boss was quite fun, a large puffer fish out of control~ I'm enjoying the multiple partner characters as well -- Dixie seems like the overall most useful, but the UOM is pretty good too (he pretends to be Scrooge from Ducktales).
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 11, 2015, 11:03:47 AM »
DkS2: Stark contrast with Bloodborne, DkS2 feels way more videogamey. I think it's the 60 FPS. It just looks weird.

I think the relative simplicity of the environments and the rather stark lightning contribute a lot to that, but yeah, "more videogamey" is a description that sounds like it should be asinine in reference to a videogame but is really a totally accurate comparison between Dark Souls 2 and its siblings. (It's also really striking how much more fluid and natural movement feels in Bloodborne; not that it's bad in either Dark Souls, but man it took some adjustment not having lightning agility and dodge + counterattack speed anymore).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 11, 2015, 12:02:33 PM »
Like it was a game made more like a standard industry product instead of being as strongly led to a single auteurs vision?

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 11, 2015, 03:56:16 PM »
I don't really feel that about Dark Souls 2 even though it's a common complaint. Except with the "praise the sun again" comment.

I do agree that the worse environments and especially lightning contribute a lot to it looking like a videogame. I guess the 60 FPS, odd lightning and worse textures makes me think of old PC games. I like how grounded movement feels in Dark Souls 2 though. In comparison Bloodborne / Demon's Souls give you super rolls and stamina right away.

R1R1Borne: I got the platinum!
Which makes me a better person than Cid.

The last boss of the chalice dungeons was the Phtumerian queen, and: Ewwwwwww
After that part, I only had the two endings left to get. I beat Moon Presence in 10 seconds and got through NG+ in like 2 hours. I got one reset against Notzguls (My last checkpoint then was in Cathedral Ward. NOOO) and The Boss.

I got one genuinely Soulsian moment in a chalice dungeon (instead of just RNG and endless battles and loot), this was nice. Inside a garden, there was a particularly bright flower on the floor of one dungeon, so I naturally approached it without thinking about it. A giant fire caterpillar like the one in Byrgenweth then emerged from the ground and ambushed me. The flower was a part of the caterpillar's head; the caterpillar uses the flower as bait to attract foolish adventurers (and probably insects?)
In general I am a bit surprised that the chalice dungeons are an actual and important part of the lore, to the point that they didn't just throw every enemy in the game in there just because they could.  You don't get to fight a green and a black G-dad.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 11, 2015, 04:23:51 PM »
I don't really feel that about Dark Souls 2 even though it's a common complaint. Except with the "praise the sun again" comment.

I think the complaint isn't without merit, but I'm onboard with that only to the point that I think it's an excellent industry product that just happens to feel less inspired than the rest of its series. It suffers some in comparison but I've still had way more fun with it than, you know, most things that aren't Souls games, and the actual mechanical/UI refinements are things I find it hard to do without now.

Spoiler final really is The Boss, isn't he? I think it's impossible not to comment on this if you've played MGS3.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 11, 2015, 06:59:50 PM »
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Just finished the fourth world. Game isn't quite as tough as DKCR, but it's still a pretty difficult game. I am enjoying all of the colors and wildlife present in the game though. The swimming mechanics are actually pretty cool! Even the water boss was quite fun, a large puffer fish out of control~ I'm enjoying the multiple partner characters as well -- Dixie seems like the overall most useful, but the UOM is pretty good too (he pretends to be Scrooge from Ducktales).

For conventional use, as in on average, Dixie > Diddy > Cranky seems to be the consensus.  For actual worth though, it's more like Dixie > Cranky > Diddy, since Dixie is pretty much always better than Diddy, and while Cranky may not be as good as Diddy on most stages, there are stages where he's flat out the best choice so you do have an occasional use for him over Dixie, making more useful than Diddy.
Of course, as if Dixie didn't already have the best platforming ability, she also has the best Kong Pow ability for bosses.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 11, 2015, 08:56:06 PM »
Wild Arms 4:

Platapana Passage solder fight: Not too bad. Flame Thrower hurts but they don't get many chances to use it, and the fight is fairly controllable.

Neve D'Argento breakpoint fight: I have like half a dozen resets here, yeesh. First one of these that has truly worked me over. Anyway, the fight is against two Angels and two Fleuretys. All four go first and all four can 2HKO under the right circumstances, so I basically start every fight horribly on the defensive (and once get one-rounded before anyone gets a turn, joy). The Fleuretys are certainly more dangerous since they can also cast Hydro Pressure, while Angels occasionally use Heal but I only see it once, but it's great when they do. Jude can one-shot the Angels with Phantom Line, Arnaud pretty much needs an opposite leypoint, Raquel has trouble getting a turn though Dragon Edge is nice to off a Fleurety and heal her if she does. The time I win though is mostly blind dumb luck of Yulie starting on a non-water leypoint and surviving to get a turn.

Granted, I make things harder for myself because I don't save before the fight, so I'm pretty much stuck with the setup I have going in... and certainly having Magic Blocker (or Resist Water?) could have been a big help, for instance. But so it goes.

Kraken: I'm pretty surprised I beat him on the first try. He starts in the centre so can wreck Yulie, and his Widespread Slumber Fog is a huge pain. I'm able to Isolate him into the corner and poison him though, and poison = the win. It seems a near impossible slugfest otherwise and most of my PCs die as usual (not Arnaud!) since he has no exploitable weakness and a lot of HP but poison does its magic.

Hugo: Not too bad. He moves to the centre, Jude shoots him and he moves to the lower right. Arnaud moves, Jude on his next turn moves with Dash to box him in. Blah blah blah poison protect healing blast I win.

Spriggan: Jude and Arnaud need 3 turns to kill their mini-spriggans, Raquel gets hers does in one. In the real fight, Yulie starts alone so Protects herself, which means she mostly mocks Stone Bullet. Between that and the mini-spriggans needing some time to move into position she survives until everyone else shows up just fine. Unfortunately their physicals + Hyperion Blaster is a bitch, so she does fall, but Spriggan isn't too durable, Arnaud jumps to the opposite-element hex and blasts away after Raquel + Jude gut the mini-spriggans. Jude dies but it's okay.

Fiore and Asia (3 resets): Yeah these two are pretty badass! They open with Banned Spell which can one-shot Raquel and seriously hurts everyone else. On my first attempt I go for an opening Joint Struggle which does hurt but letting Jude take all that damage is too much, so I have him move away instead. Then, after the rest of the team takes one spell, Arnaud can jump them somewhere else (I usually go for the wind hex, so Fiore can't use her opposite-element Hi-Blast on me, but he still has strengthened spells of his own). I also learn the hard way not to let them get in the same hex (or if it happens, to Isolate 'em ASAP) as their second unite, Uncensored Spell, does big MT damage which I really can't handle at all if they start spamming it. Unfortunately they also do lots of damage with elemental Hi-Blasts, and those are hard to prevent. Arnaud's Magic Blocker is great, in fact, keeping Arnaud/Yulie in the same hex with Protect up does make them pretty magically tanky which helps, although Fragile can make a mess of things certainly (without the MDef boost, elemental Hi-Blasts still hurt like a bitch). Anyway, it's mostly a matter of treading water, trying to keep the sisters in non-deadly positions, and gunning whichever is more vulnerable down (Fiore is more dangerous due to her better speed, but on the winning run I actually end up killing Asia due to an opening poison on her). Sadly only Raquel gets Exp from this one, as it's a brutal fight to the finish after Yulie dies from elemental spells.

Also I never knew until hearing their victory quotes that Fiore is pronounced with a non-silent E ("Fioray"). Live and learn!

Guardian Chimera: I anticipate this fight being a bitch, but I get somewhat lucky. While the chimera moves to an elemental hex to start the fight as usual, it does not use its summon attack, and after a couple turns moves back to its starting place. I promptly corner it and lock down its pure physical skillset with Illusion. Poison overcomes its healing pretty easily. It has high defences and absorbs elements but Fragile to the rescue, that + Phantom Line spam gets the job done.

Next up: the hardest boss in the game!

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 11, 2015, 09:29:28 PM »
DS2: They made Shrine of Amana worse. Wow.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: April 11, 2015, 10:34:18 PM »
It wasn't meant to be a complaint so much as how development goes?  DS2 mostly being worked on by a team less under directorial supervision of Miyazaki while he worked on Bloodborne really shows in the product.  I for one like it far more than the other two games like it I have played and it is one of the reasons I am not day 1 buying a PS4 and Bloodborne.