Author Topic: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition  (Read 215039 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition
« Reply #2050 on: October 11, 2012, 11:23:25 PM »
Both The Last Story and Xenosaga I frequently skip a background music track.  (Just the sound of waves, or of birds, or of the hustle & bustle of a market, etc.)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: October 11, 2012, 11:28:19 PM »
RE5: Played and finished, at least the main campaign.  Since I got it in the package, will probably do the two DLC episodes just to get full money's worth of said package, etc.

The game ended up better than I expected.  Part of this is not so much the anti-hype around as much as the demo is a very bad impression of the game.  The earlier parts of the game are some of the worst stuff, because it throws in you a cramped area with too many enemies, one of whom is a boss and there's little way to actually effectively kill him.  I know the Demo hands you a few weapons like a shotgun that the game doesn't have, but still, you're limited on ammo, healing, etc., and said boss can easily murder you, and you're still getting use to the controls.
The other part is the first chain saw enemy, aka an enemy with instant death who you need to take advantage of terrain to kill appropriately.

True, RE4 had moments like this, but game felt more balanced around them.  The early enemy swarm?  More open area, don't have a partner to worry about, had more time to actually get use to the controls, and there were more houses to run into and force said enemies into genuine chokepoints.

The other thing the demo had though was forced control scheme that was serious ass.  First thing I did when I turned the game on was went to options and saw if I could change them.  Thankfully, you can, and there's even a control scheme that mirrors RE4 (Or is "close enough" anyway), and that alone makes the game far smoother.  It's also Control Scheme #1, yet the game defaults to control scheme #4...I think it's best we don't ask!

These things aside, game is playable and fun at times.  Still notably worse than RE4, for a few reasons.

First off, inventory system.  I pretty much agree with all the complaints; 18 spaces for 2 characters is not enough.  Having to change on the fly wasn't as bad as I expected but yeah, times you want to experiment stuff, but you genuinely do not have the space too, so you just have to commit to two or three weapon types (in my case, I had Chris with Handgun, Magnum, and Shotgun.  Sheva I handed Machine Guns, Rifle and Grenade Gun.  I regret the latter because she NEVER USED IT and had a lot of useless ammo sitting around ._.).  This also means the actual variety of areas is shot down.  RE4, due to it's more lenient inventory, allowed for areas like Sniper Battles as an obvious example, or just lent to more interesting options for taking down opponents.

Next off, buddy system.  This felt like a forced implementation for Co-op.  I'll grant that Sheva is never really annoying as a character, but there are times where they force you to split up and do things that felt tedious, and then times where you're doing well then oh crap, buddy got hurt, run back to save them!  It wasn't really an element that helped.

Game is also notably shorter.  Which is a bad thing since the plot definitely tries to do a lot more.  RE4 just played itself up as a B-movie or a satire...it's hard to say which, but the basic idea was "Leon vs. Not!Spain" and just rolled with it here.  RE5 was clearly trying to build some finale between Chris and Wesker, and did it in about 10 hours instead of 20.   This leads to plot points being introduced, then resolved in the next plot scene.  Take the MASKED WOMAN for example.  She shows up for one scene...then appears another scene and then you're finally like "ok, whose that."  Next scene?  Reveals who she is...and the same scene resolves the entire conflict with that character...this is also the first scene where Wesker and Chris interact.   Look, I don't expect AMAZING PLOT from Resident Evil but this is vaguely insulting pacing. 

Lastly, game has too many boss fights.  RE4 showed that the system just doesn't lend itself well to boss fights, so the fact that it had so few came off as "ok, let's do something a little different" and worked in it's favor.  RE5 has double the bosses, they're not better handled on average, and still highlight the game's system doesn't compliment them.  It doesn't help that with the inventory issues, they had to rely on pure gimmick items that pop up only for that area.

It's still an alright game, but yeah, notable step down from RE4.  The game has enough of what made RE4 good and a dramatic improvement over the earlier games (enough to make me actually stomach playing it, instead of throwing up at it!), but missed a lot of key things that made RE4 really shine.  6/10 game I guess overall?
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2052 on: October 12, 2012, 12:06:50 AM »
I would have called it about a 6, yeah. On the other hand I played a run through in split-screen multiplayer with my brother on my huge ass TV and I'd call that experience like an 8.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: October 12, 2012, 01:02:45 AM »
FM3 - I haven't been playing this as much as I should.  Macho Man Randy Savage gets all pissy at army recruits for guarding a military base during an emergency while stealing expensive military equipment.  The. Proceeds to check his email and then destroys millions of dollars of military equipment and get interrogated.  Then he checks his email and makes entirely unreasonable demands about finding his sister after refusing to tell them who he is.  Then he checks his email and shouts at his dad who tells him to fuck off and gets him off stealing and destroying millions of dollars of military hardware Scott free.  The. He checks his email and nepotism!  Then he checks his email and observes military secrets and hijacks a Humvee to go follow the military secrets truck further into a secure email.  Last I saw he was then checking his email.

My favourite part where he spent 45 minutes browsing the entire Internet and then bitches out his friend for not working hard enough.

Not sure if playing villain or not.

Just wait till you get to the part where he goes all human rights on your ass by checking his email and then later proceeds to hack into a website after checking his email. Macho Man Randy Savage is all about the extent of how far he can go breaking the law without actually getting arrested.

PS: I assume you are on Alisa route? If so, you'll also get a scene where he checks his email to discover a violent, insane and mentally unstable guy that tries to kill him. Then later on, a butler sacrifices himself and you get to read about it by peeking through someone else's email. Macho Man Randy Savage is not a pro-privacy type of guy.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: October 12, 2012, 01:44:12 AM »
FM3 - Macho Man Randy Savage cannot punch helicopters 0/10... BUT HE CAN SHOOT THEM DOWN WITH SHOTGUNS 10/10  Yeah on Alisa route.  I do like that after seeing about 3 or 4 different face sprites for her you get to see her blowjob face (not blood related).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: October 12, 2012, 01:46:38 AM »
Call her Maeby.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: October 12, 2012, 08:28:19 AM »

Nintendo Power actually had an article about Brandish back in the 90s. I always remembered it as the weird-ass game that thought it was a good idea to rotate the screen instead of the PC for some reason.

Mechanically it's just like a first person game. Combat turns out weird and not very satisfying as a result.
Though I guess Grimrock just took the same premise (Tile based 1st person action game) and made it good? I don't know, I haven't played it yet.

Also:

Imagine this with screen rotations!
(I don't know how anyone could do proper mad scientist stuff in this laboratory)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: October 12, 2012, 10:40:34 AM »
Brandish 2...

I never expected your NIGHTMARE FUEL DOORS!

O_O

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: October 12, 2012, 11:53:18 AM »
Brandish 2 - I read 2 of Fenrirs posts and already saw its blowjob face.

Idun

« Reply #2059 on: October 12, 2012, 01:42:58 PM »
Both The Last Story and Xenosaga I frequently skip a background music track.  (Just the sound of waves, or of birds, or of the hustle & bustle of a market, etc.)

I'm sorry, do you mean just the OST? anyway, asking because I know people who mute and play something else momentarily.

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
« Reply #2060 on: October 12, 2012, 05:53:19 PM »
Since the release of the new XCOM I have:

Written about 1,000 words.

Played two games of League of Legends.

Left the house once.

Slept.

All of these things were mistakes.

XCOM Enemy Unknown

It's better than the original, which really ought to be enough said. Since time spent saying more is time not spent working so I can get back to it, it will have to be.
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: October 13, 2012, 03:22:28 AM »
Pokemon Black 2: I made the mistake of checking the shitty Gamefaqs Pokedex faq for abilities and got the wrong one for Lillipup, which I didn't discover until after beating gym 1. >_<

At least Pokesav exists, thankfully.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: October 13, 2012, 06:05:40 AM »
Deus Ex: Between letting an AI eat my brain and crashing the whole internet, let's go with 20th century capitalism 2.0, what could go wrong?
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: October 13, 2012, 07:31:01 AM »
FFX - Just about to fight Chocobo Eater. I decided to mix around the sphere grids a bit, trying to make some varied characters without making the game way harder.  Tidus is waiting to enter the middle of Auron's grid, Yuna is waiting for the middle of Tidus's, Lulu is heading to Rikku and Yuna's, Wakka is going to Rikku. Not sure abut Auron.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: October 14, 2012, 08:03:24 AM »
PXZ - Finally started this after having it for a couple of day now.
Outside there is no more stupid enemy attack animation, NxC still feel superior for the moment.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: October 14, 2012, 08:56:48 AM »
Picross e - Completed

One thing I originally considered an improvement in this game over Mario's Picross was it displayed the picture on the puzzle select screen after you'd solved it, but thinking on that further it feels like that isn't particularly good for replay of puzzles. Not that I was likely to replay any of them anyway, I guess.

Now to wait until Picross e 2 comes out over here.

Mario's Picross VC - Played a bunch of the Time Trial mode

Yeah last time I said that I didn't care much for the Time Trial mode. I'm not sure what I was thinking.

I've since played it enough that puzzles have started repeating, although I'm not sure if it gives you random puzzles generally or if it gives you all available puzzles in sequence first and then starts giving you random ones once the list is exhausted, so I don't know if there are (m)any which I haven't played yet.

My current best time is 4 minutes 40 seconds.

Picross e needed a mode where you get assigned random puzzles rather than needing to select them from a list (to fit with Picross e's style, the list would need to be available somewhere though). Hopefully that was brought back in e 2. (It would at least provide for less impact on replaying puzzles despite the images being displayed.)

Dinner Date - Sat through

I gifted my brother To The Moon on Steam, and he gifted me this in revenge/response. I went through it anyway to use as leverage to get him to play TTM but I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

I didn't think much of Dinner Date which I'm sure surprises no-one. Julian being somewhat unlikeable didn't really help, and the interactivity, such as it was, did not evoke anything for me.

Dillon's Rolling Western - Beaten

Ended with 31 stars (levels 1-3 on 5, from having to go back and improve my scores to access levels 8-10, all other levels on 3 or 2). The game feels pretty much designed for you to necessarily get a low-mid level rank the first time through a level and have to come back later to get a better one, mostly because the starting money caps are released on level replaying and the original ones don't really give you much ability to upgrade/equip towers.

Having to replay through the daytime section of a day after failing is fairly aggravating - I understand that they need to give people a chance to set up differently, but if you don't want to set up differently you still have to redo everything. There should have been an option to restart from dusk.

Beating the game has unlocked a bonus level which requires you to have 5-starred every regular level to enter. Hahahano. Also a bonus level which requires you to have 100kD in reserve, which is less hilarious of a requirement (I currently have 77kD), but still not something I'm going to bother unlocking - I don't feel that grinding in this game is really going to be a particularly entertaining use of my time.

I also didn't care much for the dig attack, because I could rarely seem to time it properly.

All up, it was fun while I was winning.

Kirby Star Stacker VC - Beat all 'Round Clear' levels

I see no reason to bother with the other modes.

Fairly entertaining, except for some of the later maps in the Insane difficulty where the starting layout essentially requires you to get lucky in order to progress very far (the first couple of drops are fixed, sure, but they're not enough to give you breathing space on every starting layout, and DeDeDe's blocks are all randomised, which works against this on some of the 'towers of stars/bricks' layouts).

Also Insane 44? or whichever one it was where the gimmick was the that stage would just give you endless strings of double-bricks. Nothing like having a fairly well-cleared valley and 7/8 double-bricks plus DeDeDe's blocks later you have no breathing room at all, if you haven't already exhausted your room.

Final Fantasy VII PC W7 - Left the Forgotten City

It turns out that the times when you go to save and the 'Downloading saves' message comes and goes without the saves showing up, generally if you wait long enough the saves will eventually show up. 'Long enough' can extend to numerous minutes. This should not be a thing which happens.

I like how a 'Part 1 complete' "achievement" shows up during the watery FMV. Stay classy SE.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: October 14, 2012, 06:44:58 PM »
Blitzball Fantasy X - Recruited a goalie and a defender, but Nimrook still exists to haunt my dreams. His contact is 100 gil a game? I think he doesn't understand market forces very well. I could use a better winger though. And I uh I guess we rode a giant plankton-eating elephant thing to visit some really creepy guy who dresses like a stripper and some girl washed up on the beach. Maybe she could convince Nimrook to join me...
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: October 14, 2012, 06:47:56 PM »
Terraria: Started a new game and named my character Charlotta. My current plan is to mostly stick to melee and magic. Also, I'm going to build a semi nice house. The reason for that is because I need to collect fallen stars and I need something to do while waiting for the night. The first goal is to get gold weapons and tools and silver armor. Silver armor is enough until I can get demonite armor. Currently I have copper armor and an iron sword though.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: October 15, 2012, 12:22:52 AM »
Brandish 2: Finished.

My god did this game get evil later. You can get by with unbreakable weapons early on, but they quickly become obsolete in the midgame and you have to rely on breakable weapons with your limited resources! Grinding is impossible because of semi-Suikodenish exp, and regular enemies start getting crazier and crazier:
- First enemy in an area: Hurts a bunch. You need to rest after every fight to get to full HP/MP again. Resting restores HPs slowly, but you can't see around you; you may get attacked and take triple damage in the meantime.
- Second enemy in an area: Even with full HPs, the MC gets decimated. You have to abuse movement strategies to beat him (Roughly :go down one tile, hit him while he tries to catch up with you, start again. The game's reliance on tiles is a lifesaver)
- Third enemy in an area: Above strategy doesn't even work aymore, he does too much damage. You need to use an attack boosting status spell (they last 10 seconds) then use that movement stratey
- Fourth enemy in an area: Invincible.
- Fifth enemy in an area: Is a medusa. Don't get hit or you're dead.

To equip the awesome Planet Buster, you need to have the H4X Armor and the H4X shield equipped. After I got the Planet Buster and H4X armor (but not the shield), I noticed people started saying I had an awesome sword or something. I got really suspicious and loaded an earlier save: Yep, I had missed the shield, and couldn't get it back on my regular save. It's one of the only games where having multiple saves is srs bsnss and might actually help. (unlike in nearly every other game)

Don't get me started on the final boss.

Tokyo Jungle: Finished, still have half animals to unlock. I at least have access to wolves now. And robot dogs.
I didn't expect this kind of weird time travel plot out of the blue, and a competent great boss fight with that kind of battle system?
Also had a 100k+ score in survival (with a hedgehog)

Deus Ex Human Revolution: Incompetent arrogant Jensen walkthrough. He believes hacking is for losers like Pritchard, so he keeps it at level 1, and only uses it when necessary. He carries a 10mm gun and a shotgun. He tries to use a little stealth, but he usually gets spotted quickly. He also does eventually kill every enemy.
I did the first two missions. The hostages died because he was too busy checking air ducts in the Sariff building. Josie Thorpe did survive, because he immediately shot Zeke in the face after seeing him.

I've picked the super jump, fridge throwing and double takedown augs so far.

The game is much more fun this way. Compulsively reloading all the time in a ghost playthrough is terrible, and going Rambo doesn't really work in this game.

A pet peeve: Why did they make lethal takedowns so terrible? They make much more noise and give less xp than non lethal takedowns.  Even in this playthrough, where I don't even care about xp, I've stopped using them. (non lethal takedown + headshot on the body is better)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:38:02 AM by Fenrir »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: October 15, 2012, 01:45:24 AM »
Pokemon Black 2: Sewers can bite me. Fast enemies that are higher level than your Pokemon, while still not being strong (HI ZUBAT!)?  That's obnoxious just because it means you can't run effectively, nor use Repels effectively.

Trying to get Eevee now which is also obnoxious because Cottonee's are there, and they are a pain to fight due to loving Stun Spore, drain moves, and being fast (meaning NO RUNNING.) 

I'm sure the game will pick up dramatically once I finish this.  It just reaffirms the whole "Sewer dungeons are never good" thing.

Now stuff I played at Comic-Con (all of these are demos)!

DmC: Game does some odd control decisions, unsure if they're actually bad, or just a case of not use to them.  Otherwise, seems like it'll be a decent enough entry in the game, once you get over the shock value of "Change everything!" in terms of aesthetics.

Darkstalkers Ressurection: Yay Darkstalkers getting the SF3SOE and MvCO treatment! EVERYONE SHOULD BUY THIS GAME WHEN IT COMES OUT TO RAISE THE CHANCES OF A DARKSTALKERS 4 BEING MADE!  Reason?  It has Hsieon-ko and BB Hood in it, that should hook at least some of you in!

For those wondering, it's DS2 (aka Nightwarriors), and Darkstalkers 3 (aka Vampire Savior...as in, not SP/VS2) with all the random features of SF3SOE and MvCO in one package, and allegedly Capcom taking into account all the feedback from MvCO.  Which reminds me, need to at least humor that notion and tell them to put in a Character Select Cancellation feature, because seriously, there's no excuse for a Modern Fighter to lack that feature (or in this case, a modern release of a classic fighter.)

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale: It's Smash, except with traditional health gauges.  Game doesn't pretend it's not a Smash Clone, so seems to be going more in the direction that it's trying to prove it's a WORTHY Smash Clone.  Game doesn't totally embarrass itself, though the cast isn't the most interesting of things.

Injustice: Gods Among Us: Mortal Kombat style game with DC Characters and more conventional control scheme.  Which is to say, you have a Light, Medium and Heavy, instead of the High/Low Punch/Kick nonsense, you block by holding Back (for 2D Fighters, this is a pretty big deal if you ask me), there's an "Ability" button which is just another name for "Special Power Up Mode" like Cyborg gets Regen or Superman becomes stronger, and you can hit things with the terrain.  Also super attacks are done with one button.  Game was interesting enough from the one time I played, but it's just a demo.  It does have a good sense of style though (Batman's super, for example, involves tazing the guy in the neck, shoving something on them, back flipping OVER the Batmobile as it runs over his opponent.)

Marvel Heroes (aka Marvel MMO):  I honestly didn't care about this game until I decided to go the Marvel Games panel, just to kill an hour.  Then I saw Rocket Raccoon in the trailer, and decided to check the panel on this game happening right after this, because hey, why not kill another hour?  And everyone who went to that panel gets to play the Closed Beta and give feedback directly, which was a nice surprise, and I might actually look into this game!  So decided to play the demo.

Apparently, it's basically Diablo with Marvel Super Heroes.  Then again, it is made (in part?) by the same guy who made Diablo 1 and Diablo 2, so that's to be expected.  All I can say is that the Marvel Universe struggles as is surviving ONE Deadpool's antics...how is it going to survive thousands at the same time?

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge:  The Wii U version of NG3 that claims to be bringnig back stuff the original version lacked!  Well, the demo was kicking my ass, so at least it's hard.  Game also had weapon variety I stumbled upon a little later, having the Lunar Staff at least, so there's that.  Would have enjoyed the game a little more if it weren't for some asshole talking to the guy running the thing, basically whining about modern gaming and being the most pessimistic thing ever, and not letting me simply discuss stuff with the guy there (you know, talking to the guys at the booth tends to be fun for casual conversation.)

Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed:  Take Diddy Kong Racing, but now you're changing vehicles mid stage based on lap and the laps change too, and it's with various Sega Characters.  Also, a Nascar Driver as a guest character is in this because why not?  Not much else to say about this; I played it to get a free Lanyard (SP?) so Mandy could have one to put her ticket on the day she went.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 02:02:10 AM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: October 15, 2012, 02:17:04 AM »
I am playing so many XCOMs. How many XCOMs do you have Gref? Mine are learning about lasers.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: October 15, 2012, 03:24:39 AM »
My brothers both have it as well as myself.  This weekend was supposed to be Borderlands Weekend.  Sunday afternoon and night until 1 in the morning ended up being the three of us taking turns at X-Com like we used to as kids.

I am kind of in love with the game, but have trouble looking at it objectively for so many reasons.  I need to mull over it.  I know it is good, I just need to define in what way it is good.

I really want to see more DLers give it a try just to have discussions about it.  I think the biggest hang up we would have with it as a group is not being able to take back move options, but that comes with reaction fire to movement and the like.  It wasn't so much an issue in the original because you had time units etcetc, but the way movement is handled in this it can be a pain to check line of fire and hit chance to make optimal movement decisions.  Sadly the solution is to save scum... 

To be entirely fair the game is very liberal with line of fire and shooting around cover and does it in such a way that it isn't like the enemy screws you with it or anything.

Also favourite moments are watching dudes kick down doors and bust through glass windows like Batman.

Chrysalids are still Chrysalids, slightly different but still shit your pants scary.  We did a terror mission that was edge of your seat shit your pants scary (we retried after a TPK).  It was only 6 aliens at the end and felt like it  took like an hour  to kill them.  Good times. (NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF NORMAL MISSION LENGTH.  Also in reality the mission probably only took 15 minutes.  It was just tense as hell).

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: October 15, 2012, 06:24:14 AM »
New Super Mario Bros. 2 - Beat this, opened up Star World, and promptly beat that too. The last level of Star World was pretty great! I wish the game had me feeling that way more often. Otherwise my previous comments more or less apply. The game really doesn't do anything the previous two games didn't... anything at all, really. Quite unfortunate. Beyond that the game doesn't really do anything overtly wrong (except maybe taking another giant leap forward in devaluing lives, as I amassed over 600 of them) but still, 2D Mario has some high standards, and this game is almost certainly the weakest of them save Lost Levels, so that's a bit disappointing. Still an experience I enjoyed though! I missed a couple secrets (one in W3, one in W5) which I'll probably FAQ, do those levels (and grab their star coins... I have all the rest), and then call the game done.

It did make me want to replay the previous NSMB games (mostly Wii since I've already played DS twice) so that's something.

EDIT: Whoa, just realised I played a Mario RPG and Mario platformer back to back and enjoyed the RPG more. I never would have expected that given my past track record with each.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: October 15, 2012, 06:33:08 AM »
Sounds like you might be Marioed out and now is the perfect time to start a tactics game about Aliens.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2074 on: October 15, 2012, 06:48:14 AM »
No no, you played a BOWSER RPG then played a Mario platformer.  Of course you liked the former more.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.