Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 243276 times)

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #400 on: February 08, 2011, 01:53:35 PM »
Paper Mario: Beat chapter 6.

I liked the visuals of the flower field and it's inhabitants, but I didn't like it's design as a stage. It was to much running into a stop and having to backtrack. The boss also gave me the most trouble so far, but was still rather easy. I'd assume that the normal strategy it to Powerbounce it and then kill the spawning clouds with Spiny Surge. However, since I banned Powerbounce, I instead went with the strategy of having Bow Fan Smack the boss while Mario kills the clouds with Multibounce. Unfortunately, I had a difficult time timing the Multibounce against enemies with different heights, so the fights ended up being me slowly fumbling the boss' HP down. It was still easy since all attacks the boss has either deals crap damage or are telegraphed meaning Bow can just hide Mario when it comes. As a result, I could just switch between Focus and Refresh and that way keep going forever.

The princess part of the game was just weird. She finally got to use an item that allows her to disguise herself as Bowser's guards, yet somehow gets less done than before. Maybe that was intentional, when the princess just sneaks out without a plan, she just happens to stumble across useful information, while when she actually has the means to expect a success, she gets nowhere.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 09, 2011, 02:33:41 PM »
WA4 - So, in a bit of irritation during an internet outage, (MEDIACOM SUCKS) I popped this in for a while.  I realized I was still early in my game.

Earthbound Spirit has been the most dangerous fight so far, to where I had to finish the fight with Yulie dead.  Jeremy 1 got mocked, as he went down in two Raquel physicals.  I didn't even have enough time to build up to an Intrude.

I got to the Great Staircase, and decided to stick the Bad Omen badge on Arnaud just because.

I then proceeded to run into four Grow Apples.  Arnaud went before three of them.  Jude was able to steal a Grow Egg from one.

Going into the Great Staircase, my levels averaged 12.  Coming out, they're 31/33.

Well, time to mock the rest of the game.

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 09, 2011, 06:22:58 PM »
Paper Mario: Beat chapter 7. I liked the crystal palace. The mirror gimmick added just enough complexity and was played well with the duplighosts.

The Crystal King almost got me. I didn't manage to time the block against his freezing attack until the very last time (that successful block left me with 1 HP) and spent most of the time with Mario being frozen. This was extra problematic since the Crystal King can heal himself. I also didn't have the feeling fine badge equipped and my "don't use Powerbounce" condition stands. Remove any of those factors and the boss would have been a piece of cake.

Time to mop up some sidequests.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 09, 2011, 10:54:31 PM »
The Witcher - plays like crap on my computer, but I dig the game's style anyway.  Currently in chapter two, investigating things.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 10, 2011, 08:25:59 AM »
ME2: Everyone lives, as it turns out suicide missions totally aren't THAT dangerous bro
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #405 on: February 10, 2011, 09:10:32 AM »
ME2: Everyone lives, as it turns out suicide missions totally aren't THAT dangerous bro

I don't mind that it was possible, but I thought it was way too easy and the choices too obvious.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 10, 2011, 09:21:52 AM »
Vandal hearts flames of judgement: Nice to see that the main villain went to the Luca Blight school of tactics though he is a bit of an idiot when confronted about it. "These people think I can do no wrong so I could just lie and say this bandit is lying. Na I'd rather just admit it, fry the bandit and they throw a huge spanner into my plan by allowing the heroes to see I'm an evil dickhead. After all I am the greatest warrior alive!". Admittedly he did try to kill the heroes but it seems the flames of judgement have a 20 second cooldown before they can be used again which is fail.

Partywise everyone is simply to powerful that all the enemies get minced due to their lack of hp and lol worthy speed though Gren takes the cake when you get to mid game. Maybe it was due to me leveling his charge skill (Move at least 4 spaces and attack) but his speed leveled up from 30% average (Fail) to slightly above average (What?). This combined with gamebest hp which is at least double most characters and triple (!) the rest, best defence, high (second highest) attack that unlike everyone else can hit everyone around him, third highest crit chance and he unlike most characters of his type actually has a nice pool of Mp to use. His is also the best looking character in the game for having the good sense of being in full armour so he doesn't suffer the fugly artwork.

Yeah the game is one of those "stat ups when you do stuff games" but I've given everyone but the mage guy about equal kills and Gren is currently crushing everyone in huge way. In fact when he became a boss (no change in stats) he was 2HKOing my second tankiest character while I was 10HKOing him back (WTH!?!). Man is not called "Ten men Gren" for nothing I guess.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 10, 2011, 11:29:16 AM »
Nice to see that the main villain went to the Luca Blight school of tactics though he is a bit of an idiot when confronted about it. "These people think I can do no wrong so I could just lie and say this bandit is lying. Na I'd rather just admit it, fry the bandit and they throw a huge spanner into my plan by allowing the heroes to see I'm an evil dickhead. After all I am the greatest warrior alive!". Admittedly he did try to kill the heroes but it seems the flames of judgement have a 20 second cooldown before they can be used again which is fail.

So it is Luca Blight again with all the same fail.  Good to know that archetype is still written amazingly retarded.

Miles Edgeworth: Sleeping With Your Mother - So Elfboy joins up with Ciato on her investigation and then proceeds to take over the investigation entirely effectively.  Why didn't the game switch PoV to Ciato?

Oh I see, because French Cuffs flared that far out with cuff links that are clearly made of glass are absolutely dreadful darling.  They really didn't need to be on both side of the cuff and they need to be about a quarter of the size.  Also big shoulders are so 30 years ago.  You are lucky you have the figure to pull off that waistcoat and it is real shame you ruin such well fitted sleeves on those puffy shoulders.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:30:54 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 10, 2011, 04:05:48 PM »
No dissin' my fashion sense bro!
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 10, 2011, 05:18:27 PM »
Mario Kart Wii: In my first two races (not cups, but actual races) I got hit by a blue shell 4 times. F*** that. Obviously the series peaked at SMK/MK64, and everything since has just been a huge pile of cheap.

Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project: So it's Duke in a 2-5D sidescroller and he's rescuing women trapped by bombs and shooting pig cops in the face. It's like the classic Dukes and the 3-D Duke have merged. Surprisingly decent so far, I'm up to Chinatown.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 10, 2011, 09:12:29 PM »
Grefter playing a PW game is the best thing ever.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 10, 2011, 11:56:26 PM »
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,2452.msg124552.html#msg124552

My first post about this over in the LFT topic. Moving it here.

Anyway, continuing with Cameo Alert!

Araguay Woods: Nothing much to report here. It's a bunch of gobs vs Chemist Hatbot, Grefter, Super and Andy. Splat.

Zirikile Falls: Business as usual here as well. Only thing of note is that Ovelia's Triangle hat gets broken before I can steal it.

Zaland: 1 reset. First try, run into a Pheonix Down spamming knight. Who retreats away from the action. And I can't leave the Wizards or Oracles alive, or they will kill me with fire and stick beats. But killing them does nothing, because it turns out an Oracle has Item too. Also, Andy got zombied, then killed off by a stick beat from an Oracle he had just killed who the knight revived. Second try, Andy is a ladies man and charms one wizard and one oracle into killing the other wizard and oracle respectively. Then he stabs the charmed oracle in the back becuase that's just how he rolls. Fight is just cleanup after that, don't even get to see what secondaries the knights are running this time.

Baraius Hill: No resets but only by the skin of my teeth. Hatbot is dropped by geomancer focus fire early, and Agrias, despite having Raise, chooses never to use it. Thankfully she does get Crush Punch to kick in twice for the ID, and the final Lancer dies when Hatbot's at 0 counter with 80ct. Luck was with me here.

Nobody else to recruit this time. Need to check up on who the next cameo will be.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 10, 2011, 11:59:31 PM »
Djinn: Yes. And a pre-emptive no.

Grandia LLG:

Saki, 3x Private (Justin 8, Sue 6, Feena 8): HPs are in the 50-60 range. The scrubs get easily dispatched with some quick AoE blitzing in the start. Saki herself has Power Lariat for 40ish damage and some weaker attacks. Diggin', heal, be careful. Not too bad, takes a while and some items though.

Nana, 3x Private (Justin 8, Sue 6, Feena 8): Like the previous battle except Nana is terrible. Her yo-yo specials do something like ~10 damage. One of them is MT, oh no.

Mio, 3x Private (Justin 8, Sue 6, Feena 8): Mio has Balloon, which has entirely unpredictable targeting, usually hitting 1~2 PCs for 1 damage and POIZN+sleep. Stun Gun does 30+ damage and adds Paralysis. While the occasional poizn hit, Grandia Sleep and Paralysis are pretty unimpressive on their own, all three add up to a whole lot of turn loss to the point it's not impossible to see Mio lapping your party. Justin died at one point to POIZN after a barely survived Stun Gun hit. Poor Justin. Wasn't really close to a reset though.

Scrubs on the train: Skill Exp fodder. I do have one character death due to underestimating Sergeants though (39 damage Wave Cut? Ow)

Scrubs on the mountain: Sergeant parties. Easy to deal with when you take them seriously.

You can't run from End of the World randoms. Of all the places for Grandia to make sense. I get caught by one formation of sonic bats no matter what, oh well. There are a few forced fights guarding switches and such in End of the World too, culminating in...

Emerald Birdx2, Clay Bird (Justin 9, Sue 7, Feena 10) (stopped counting resets): Good grief. Emerald Birds have an AoE attack that does 40 to all and paralyzes and none of their other moves are very nice either. 265 HP is sadly not entirely trivial to this party, and I have a number of resets on the fight, one getting caught by a formation while running from the save point, and an absolutely infuriating one where I actually get stuck in the world geometry. I finally manage to ambush this formation and blitz two birds before they manage to kill anyone, then heal and mop up the last one.

Gadwin (Justin 9): yeah well

The randoms at Mt. Typhoon splatter non-Gadwin people if they get an ambush. This and the Emerald Bird fiasco finally make me upgrade from New Parm armor. >_> This is a very noticeable upgrade, reducing taken damage by ~20.

Serpent, Hot Head, Nice Head, Mean Head, Cool? Head (Justin 9, Sue 8, Feena 10, Gadwin 30) (1 reset): No points for guessing the MVP. The rest of the party has 62-77HP, Gadwin has 273. You need to either kill the Serpent (1000 HP) or its heads (423-800HP each)to win. Serpent itself uses 4Head Attack, doing 20ish physical damage to an AoE. Hot Head is fast and does 25 fire magic damage to a giant area. Cool Head uses Stun Gas, doing 0-10 damage to an AoE and causing paralysis. Mean Head's Killer Bite does negligible physical damage and causes moveblock. Finally, Nice Head heals all enemies for 100 every time it gets a turn. First time through I start slow, buffing myself up with Diggin', the works. I soon find out I have no way to cure moveblock and seemingly can't keep up with the healing with the dragon getting a whole lot more turns than I do. Oops. Second try, I blitz the Mean Head so I can't be permanently screwed. Feena gets Moveblocked though! I have no reason to care. Feena supports Gadwin with WOW!, occasionally healing herself with items, Gadwin does the damage, Justin and Sue can't keep up and die. Oh well. I take out Hot Head, bringing the hydra's damage output to levels manageable by Alheal. I resurrect Justin and Sue, then start grinding down the hydra. Cool Head falls, Nice Head falls and the Serpent dies.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 11, 2011, 04:05:58 AM »
Viewtiful Joe DS: Yeah, found this cheap, yada yada yada.  Its basically V. Joe with some stylus gimmicks used in place of Mach Speed (Slow Down is still there, and there's a variation of View Up too.)  Not much else to say so far.

Soul Nomad: Up to Map 17 or so.  ...yes, I started this...yes, I didn't tell most people...no, I'm not stealth playing it.  I just don't want to bring it up in chat on grounds that SOMEONE is going to tell me SOMETHING about HOW TO PLAY THE GAME and I'm very much about "PLAY HOW YOU DAMN WELL PLEASE!" and hate it when people tell me "DO THIS!" and what not.  I hope people catch this SUBTLE HINT!!!!

And no, its not stealth playing, cause see, I didn't post in this topic since I started it or something, so nyeh >_>

I will say one thing though:

Fuck N1 games with their "Any new unit that isn't plot gained starts at level 1" bullshit.  Especially in games that start handing you new interesting looking units.  Its a pain in the ass to have to buy one, and raise it from scratch, to see if its worth anything.  Would it really be so hard to, say, have an option of buying a stronger unit for a higher price?    Its especially annoying in a game like this where you need to use a lot of units and the instant you get a new Room to work with, you have to suddenly mix your teams up cause yo need to buy a few more level 1's to fill out spaces but need strong units to make the teams not suck.

That's one thing Ogre Battle does so much better than this; units you bought joined at a level somewhere near the recruited team.  This meant actually using new PCs was viable and testing new team combos, etc. 

Note this complaint does not reflect my views of the game as a whole, its just a simple "N1, seriously, fuck that shit, its STUPID AND NOT FUN." 
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 11, 2011, 04:08:22 AM »
Soul Silver- So after some Legendary catching, I noticed that somehow I had caught all the legendaries thusfar with different balls. Arti- Dusk, Zapdos- Fast, Latios- Master, Lugia- Ultra, Ho-oh- Timer. So I've decided to continue the pattern and go for ALL legendaries with different balls. This'll lead to some hilarious things like having to catch Moltres with a *1 mult ball. Here's the plan as I laid it out:

Raikou- Quick Ball (Makes the most sense for the roamers)
Entei- Level Ball (The Blastoise I got from the copy of Fire Red I bought is closing in on 80, so best choice there)
Suicine- Net Ball (Already done!)
Moltres- Pokeball or equivilent *1 mult ball
Mewtwo- Great Ball (Hahhaahahahah this'll be fun)
Grouden- Heavy Ball (Makes the most sense here)
Rayquaza- Repeat Ball (I have one, but not sure it has to be one the file has actually caught, or just possesses)

Also, during some general collection in the Safari Zone today, I came upon a SHINY RATTATA! I tossed two balls at it, and neither even got to three twitches >.> It ran, and I was sad. Oh well.

Legaia 2- Met Kazan. Hahahahaha at the accent. The camp is wonderful.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 11, 2011, 04:12:15 AM »
Soul Nomad

Fuck N1 games with their "Any new unit that isn't plot gained starts at level 1" bullshit.  Especially in games that start handing you new interesting looking units.  Its a pain in the ass to have to buy one, and raise it from scratch, to see if its worth anything.  Would it really be so hard to, say, have an option of buying a stronger unit for a higher price?

Are you trolling?

Seriously, the game literally allows you to buy higher level units up to your Main Character's level.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 11, 2011, 04:24:15 AM »
First off, that trolling comment was completely uncalled for and you know it.  There's no reason you couldn't just say "You can buy units at the same level as your main" and leave it at that.

That said, the game is anything but obvious about this, so its not exactly easy to see.  After being told about it by someone else, it still took me sometime to figure it out.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 11, 2011, 04:53:43 AM »
BTW, the bought unit has maximized states gain per level you purchase.
Normal level ups don't grantee maximum states gain.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 11, 2011, 04:59:52 AM »
There's no effective difference. Storeboughts compensate with slightly lower growths.
...into the nightfall.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 11, 2011, 06:38:56 AM »
No, the growth is the same. Sometime higher growth appear in normal level up because of the randomness in the normal level up state gain.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: February 11, 2011, 08:02:19 AM »
I don't remember how, but taken on average, they basically even out (Storeboughts have levels where the stats don't gain at all, IIRC). There's no stat advantage either way, and I looked into that pretty heavily during game testing.
...into the nightfall.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #421 on: February 11, 2011, 09:48:20 AM »
First off, that trolling comment was completely uncalled for and you know it.  There's no reason you couldn't just say "You can buy units at the same level as your main" and leave it at that.

That said, the game is anything but obvious about this, so its not exactly easy to see.  After being told about it by someone else, it still took me sometime to figure it out.

I don't think it was a malicious question... I honestly thought you were being sarcastic. You were complaining about it so hard, I thought it was a roundabout way of praising the game, like "Good job, N1, you finally figured out how to cut out some pointless grinding".

I'm pretty sure that somewhere in one of the early tutorials they mention that you can purchase units up to your current level... Also, I would think that if it was such a game-breakingly bad design decision, that you'd have at least looked a little harder at the creation screen.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 11, 2011, 10:07:35 AM »
He missed something in a tutorial, complained about it and was corrected, so we can move on yeah?  Meeple wouldn't be sarcastic like that, he is not me.

Edit - I am for serious here, if you guys drag this out into an argument I will find you and punch you in the cock.

Might and Magic Clash of Heroes - This game is kind of fun, but a little RNG annoying at times.  Not as good as Puzzle Quest at scratching that kind of itch, but it isn't a bad little facsimile for it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:11:25 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 11, 2011, 12:50:53 PM »
Paper Mario: Beat it.

The last chapter was kind of boring. For some reason I almost always find the final dungeon of an RPG boring. It wasn't to long though.

The Bowser fight consisted mainly of me using Ultra Hammer and Electro Dash and healing when needed. This is probably the most typical RPG boss fight of all bosses I've encountered. Granted, many bosses broke from the mold solely by not requiring me to heal at all, but still, couldn't they have given Bowser a gimmick that actually matter?

I went for BP most of the time. It turned out I went a bit to far on the BP love, but I didn't notice it until I maxed it out. Once I maxed out BP and replaced all HP+ and FP+ badges with actual HP and FP upgrades, I couldn't get any more BP. However, badges kept getting more expensive. Eventually, I had to look at what badges were actually effective against the current enemies and switch off those that weren't needed for the moment to free up BP. At this point I realized that I could have done that earlier and that way would have needed less BP. For some chapters I had badges equipped that were never used simple because I had a superfluous amount of BP. That's a level up or two that could have gone into FP instead.

I still think BP is the best upgrade though. BP and FP both let you do more stuff, but BP is more flexible. HP loses since that stat doesn't really let you do stuff and is therefore only increased on an as needed basis.

Both exploring and combat was fun. The battles were easy, but I still felt that the game rewarded me for using better strategy and optimizing HP and FP management. The environments are good looking and the various dungeons are simple, but with fun quirks.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 11, 2011, 01:08:45 PM »
So for some strange reason I have been playing Soul Silver again.

I have a couple of legendaries, but I need some of the more difficult one to acquire still. I might need some help if anyone is willing later on today.

Legendaries I am missing.

Darkrai
Manaphy
Phione
Shaymin
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion