Author Topic: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!  (Read 129249 times)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!
« Reply #625 on: May 05, 2011, 03:20:28 PM »
Maybe later on G1. Game is too easy to inspire significant caring at the moment. If I'm really lazy I may just copy Random.

SaGa Frontier Mystics:
Dr. Nusakan: 5.5/10. Fairly generic mystic. This isn't really a good thing since I think mystics are one of the weaker races, but he avoids one of the reasons for this (sucky locked armour) and has a decent unique healing move which frees up a slot that would have to go to StarlightHeal, so sure, this works.
Ildon: 2/10. No.
Mesarthim: 7/10. Has some usability problems in many quests, but the ones where you can actually get her early she is quite good because she avoids the armour problem -and- has a really useful healing spell in LifeRain. Still not as good a choice as the best humans, fairly clearly, though.
Rei: 1/10. Ildon with actual reasons to use her but even worse otherwise, and those actual reasons are still pretty terrible.
Silence: 1/10. Maybe I'm being too harsh on both Silence and Rei, but they're probably the worst two characters in a cast of 38 (Turnip puts up a fight) so whatever.
Timelord: 6.5/10. Well, he'd be much better if TimeLeap and TimeEclipse were actually unique to him, but since it's a choice between recruiting them and teaching them to someone else (potentially two someone elses), he's not going to get credit here. He's also a bit cumbersome due to being late (e.g. unlikely to get the light gift). That said he gets some points just for the fact that OverDrive is useful at worst and totally game-breaking at best, and I guess he does save you some money on Time Magic too.
White Rose: 5/10. Generic mystic, but at least she doesn't screw anything up, and has a bit of a jeigan period in Asellus' quest.
Zozma: 8/10. SharpPain is stupid good, especially since Saga has scary randoms in the second half. This leaves him a little lacking against bosses, granted, though this can be fixed (e.g. TimeLeap!). Loses half a point because some things do resist SharpPain enough to be annoying.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 05, 2011, 08:58:15 PM »
I missed Lufia 2? Blargh.

Grandia 1:
Justin: 9/10. Good damage and is around the entire game to buff up.
Sue: 5/10. Fills her slot well enough but fails to excel.
Feena: 7.5/10. Decent mage, decent all around but not great. Shame her ultimate is ridiculous to get.
Gadwin: 5/10. Nice temp.
Rapp: 6/10. Useful enough though is held back by his late joining.
Milda: 4/10. Hits things.
Guido: 0/10. I'd rather have the empty slot.
Liete: 7/10. Generally useful.

SaGa Frontier Mystics:
Dr. Nusakan: 6/10. Mystic Wear is a nice advantage but he's not around enough.
Ildon: 3/10. Crap Mystic on a Mystic heavy quest.
Mesarthim: 8/10. 7.75 points for life rain.
Rei: 1/10. Simply horrible.
Silence: 0/10. I'd rather have the Sanctuary Stone. Fuck you, Silence.
Timelord: 10/10. Skill set is broken.
White Rose: 6/10. Useful temp.
Zozma: 4/10. Sharp Pain is okay but he has little else.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 05, 2011, 10:28:36 PM »
Grandia 1:
Justin: 7/10
Sue: 4/10
Feena: 7/10
Gadwin: 5/10
Rapp: 5.5/10
Milda: 3.5/10
Guido: Bunny!/10
Liete: 7/10

Yeah works. I don't really remember this cast much since I think I only did one full play through and then my replay left off with a save where I was levelling up Sue's stuff for the crayons later and I eventually got bored /distracted, went to play another game and forgot about it~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #628 on: May 11, 2011, 06:27:00 AM »
Grandia 1:
Justin: 8 - Good stats combo plus all the best skills, those skills are generally easy-to-get, and he's always around. Never game-breaking apart from the fact that playing Grandia at all is breaking it.
Sue: 3 - Kind of sad, but she's a warm body when you need it, and is generally effective enough. In a harder game, she would be penalized more.
Feena: 7.5 - Joins a little more powerful than Justin if you sped through the earlier sections IIRC? I remember I generally relied on Feena more than any other PC. If her ultimates ever saw any in-game use and weren't just a cute bonus for grinding, she'd probably be worth a 9~
Gadwin: 4 - Solid temp, useful enough when he's around, but that's not for very long and he can't learn all magic types, so he's really limited and noticably slow.
Rapp: 7 - Speedy! Generally works for tying up enemies with his physicals and can learn all magic types to play a support role in a pinch. Joins a little late, but generally I didn't do any of the side challenges until I got him and he was great for tackling those.
Milda: 3 - No magic, too damn slow. Worked as a warm body for some side-challenges at least.
Guido: 0 - Can we give zeroes? He needs a 0. A 0.5 at least.
Liete: 6.5 - Good out of the box, held back by slowness and fraility and joining way too late.

SaGa Frontier Mystics:
Dr. Nusakan: 6 - Higher-end Mystic, useful on the quests you can get him.
Ildon: 1.5 - At least he's plot-given so if you didn't recruit anyone else, he's a warm body?
Mesarthim: 7.5 - The best you'll get out of non-TimeLord Mystics, and arguably better for availability, especially in Asellus/Emelia's quests. LifeRain fills an uncommon niche even with the versatility of Humans, and she's innate immune to Water attacks which spoils some bosses. Makes a decent tank if you get her Mystic equips filled with decent stuff early on.
Rei: 0 - Guido-level, optional, hard-to-find, one-quest-only... but uh... has ID? (So does Nusakan)
Silence: 1 - At least he's easy to get? Worse stats than Ildon and doesn't even function as a Mystic for a lot of the reasons you'd want one (like getting Mesarthim).
Timelord: 8.5 - Available on nearly all quests, great stats/skills out-of-the-box, and OverDrive wrecks bosses' shit. Just... gotten so late in general.
White Rose: 6 - Jeigan-powered Mystic when you really want one. Starts with Healing! It's been said. Just too bad about being a temp.
Zozma: 5.5 - Generally decent w/ SharpPain, but limited availability and having lots of options in the quests he's available for are kinda holding him back. Half a point for supporting open Lesbianism in Games in in the 90s~ Progressive guy.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 11, 2011, 07:17:40 PM »
Grandia 1:
Justin: 8 - Good stats combo plus all the best skills, those skills are generally easy-to-get, and he's always around. Never game-breaking apart from the fact that playing Grandia at all is breaking it.
Sue: 3 - Kind of sad, but she's a warm body when you need it, and is generally effective enough. In a harder game, she would be penalized more.
Feena: 7.5 - Joins a little more powerful than Justin if you sped through the earlier sections IIRC? I remember I generally relied on Feena more than any other PC. If her ultimates ever saw any in-game use and weren't just a cute bonus for grinding, she'd probably be worth a 9~
Gadwin: 4 - Solid temp, useful enough when he's around, but that's not for very long and he can't learn all magic types, so he's really limited and noticably slow.
Rapp: 7 - Speedy! Generally works for tying up enemies with his physicals and can learn all magic types to play a support role in a pinch. Joins a little late, but generally I didn't do any of the side challenges until I got him and he was great for tackling those.
Milda: 3 - No magic, too damn slow. Worked as a warm body for some side-challenges at least.
Guido: 0 - Can we give zeroes? He needs a 0. A 0.5 at least.
Liete: 6.5 - Good out of the box, held back by slowness and fraility and joining way too late.

SaGa Frontier Mystics:
Dr. Nusakan: 6 - Higher-end Mystic, useful on the quests you can get him.
Ildon: 1.5 - At least he's plot-given so if you didn't recruit anyone else, he's a warm body?
Mesarthim: 7.5 - The best you'll get out of non-TimeLord Mystics, and arguably better for availability, especially in Asellus/Emelia's quests. LifeRain fills an uncommon niche even with the versatility of Humans, and she's innate immune to Water attacks which spoils some bosses. Makes a decent tank if you get her Mystic equips filled with decent stuff early on.
Rei: 0 - Guido-level, optional, hard-to-find, one-quest-only... but uh... has ID? (So does Nusakan)
Silence: 1 - At least he's easy to get? Worse stats than Ildon and doesn't even function as a Mystic for a lot of the reasons you'd want one (like getting Mesarthim).
Timelord: 8.5 - Available on nearly all quests, great stats/skills out-of-the-box, and OverDrive wrecks bosses' shit. Just... gotten so late in general.
White Rose: 6 - Jeigan-powered Mystic when you really want one. Starts with Healing! It's been said. Just too bad about being a temp.
Zozma: 5.5 - Generally decent w/ SharpPain, but limited availability and having lots of options in the quests he's available for are kinda holding him back. Half a point for supporting open Lesbianism in Games in in the 90s~ Progressive guy.

Close enough.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: May 12, 2011, 03:53:47 PM »
Grandia 1:
Justin: 9/10 - Great fighter and mage. His weapon selection is among the best of all characters. You also have him around for the whole game.
Sue: 6/10 - She's frail and has an insane long recovery time. Fortunately, this is Grandia, so it doesn't matter that much. She has access to all four elements, which is what counts the most. She also has a move that allows her to level up Earth and Fire really fast, but she leaves to soon for it to matter.
Feena: 7.5/10 - Good mage, but the lack of strength boosting weapons limits her fighting abilities. She's still a decent fighter by virtue of having great moves, but she won't deal that much damage with them. Finally, while she has a good spell selection, she sometimes have holes in her arsenal where she's forced to use spells that are either to weak or to expensive.
Gadwin: 5/10 -  Tanky in a game where it doesn't matter. Decent fighter, but a poor mage due only having two elements.
Rapp: 6.5/10 - Speedy and has access to all elements. Have a hard time building them up fast enough though and isn't that great of a fighter.
Milda: 3/10 - No elements, poor skills and low speed. Her high HP matters little since it's Gradia.
Guido: 1/10 - Well, he can cancel single enemies that manages to slip past Justin's and Rapp's AoE nukes, but that's it.
Liete: 6/10 - Generally great spells, but her elemental level is lower than that of the rest and she has limited time to catch up. She'd also want more weapons to help boosting her stats.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 17, 2011, 03:03:18 AM »
Grandia 1:
Justin: 7.5/10.  Yeah, good at what he does, just everyone in G1 felt effective outside of a few minor hiccups, so I can't realistically give him higher (I'm not trying to say "GAME IS TOO EASY!")
Sue: 3/10.  one of said hiccups.  Sue is just there for an extra warm body who isn't that good.
Feena: 7/10.  Faster Justin whose worse in most other ways, and gets a bunch of late game skills gotten too late to really push her ahead?  Yeah, sure why not.
Gadwin: 5/10.  I remember Dragon Slice wiping out randoms for that stretch of the game well enough, and he has massive HP, and is faster than people think (lots of levels of Swords and Fire)
Rapp: 6/10.  Worse Feena.
Milda: 5/10.  Gadwin with worse MT but O_o ST.  Ok, her durability isn't as insane, but she's still more durable than the main team from my recollection.
Guido: 1.5/10.  Uhh...yeah, see Sue?  Guido's just worse.  Giving him a 0 is too harsh though, given he's forced and an extra warm body when you only have 2 other PCs, so that's clearly much better than "0" use, for all that any other character would have filled the role better.
Liete: 6/10.  Decent, but gotten late and such.

SaGa Frontier Mystics:
Dr. Nusakan: 6/10.  Mystic with a neat gimmick.  Half a point for making that Suzaku in Blue's Quest much easier to take on early due to coming with Death.
Ildon: 3/10.  I respect Mystics more than most people, I think...but yeah, he's still not very good.
Mesarthim: 7/10.  Has Nusakan's gimmick, but better stuff with it!  Also immune to some attacks at all times doesn't hurt.
Rei: 1/10.  Oh look, unique magic set that's kind of cool!  Oh wait, joins late in one quest with 2 digit HP and no absorptions, and no other useful magic's learned *punts*
Silence: 1.5/10.  Ildon, but with worse stats, forces you to get Dark Magic for your main (meaning you can't get, say, Mega Wind Blast on your main and Silence ni the same game), AND stops you from getting Mesarthim.  BRILLIANT COMBO THERE!  I find it hard to put him lower than Rei though cause at least Silence feels usable in that "he's really bad" way.
Timelord: 6/10.  He can do the Overdrive Loop if you hold off on getting Rune Magic until after he joins, but yeah, really the big thing about Time Magic are things many other characters can get from storebought Time Magic.  Overdrive is a decent last ditch Trump Card I suppose,.
White Rose: 4/10.  Flash Fire makes her a good Jeigan for Asellus' quest, but after that, she's really not very good.  Doesn't help that she perma-leaves in Asellus' quest so any time spent on her is somewhat wasted after those early parts (though, her being permanent in Emelia's Quest is handy, and she has some Jeigan worth as a brief temp in Red's Quest.)
Zozma: 8/10.  Sharp Pain is just THAT GOOD.  Its one move, but makes him clearly the best Mystic cause he completely trivializes 90% of the Randoms in the game which is actually noteworthy in a game like SaGa.  Was going to give him lower due to lack of boss utility, but then remembered "oh right, Time Leap can be given to him" so now he's just nulling out ALL enemy turns.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 28, 2011, 12:19:36 AM »
Justin: 7/10. Solid enough in most regards without ever feeling exceptional.
Sue: 3.5/10. Decent mage, but inferior stats to the "real" PCs in general.
Feena: 7/10. Justin with more strengths and weaknesses both, feels balanced enough. Faster but more limited physical damage options, mostly.
Gadwin: 5/10. He's really hard to rate.
Rapp: 4/10. Obvious LVP of the permanent PCs. But not bad.
Milda: 4.5/10. Milda Hit really hurts, but aside from that and her HP (which... at least matters more than Gadwin's), she has some problems due to no magic and limited SP.
Guido: 2/10. Sue version NoMagic. Whoops.
Liete: 6.5/10. Enclose is sexy. Not bad otherwise. Could use a bit more speed though.

Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 28, 2011, 12:27:23 AM »
Grandia 1:
Justin: 7.70
Sue: 3.80
Feena: 7.15
Gadwin: 4.80
Rapp: 5.90
Milda: 3.90
Guido: 1.39
Liete: 6.55

SaGa Frontier Mystics:
Dr. Nusakan: 5.83
Ildon: 2.17
Mesarthim: 7.33
Rei: 0.67
Silence: 0.92
Timelord: 7.71
White Rose: 5.42
Zozma: 6.43

Best rating of this session: Timelord w/ 7.71
Worst rating of this session: Rei w/ 0.67

Top 20 Ratings:
1. Yuna (FFX) 9.80
2. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SH1) 9.53
3. Hyuga "Citan Uzuki" Ricdeau (XG) 9.46
4. Souji Seta (P4) 9.44
5. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SHC) 9.25
6. Blue (SaGa) 9.28
7. Cecilia Lynn Adlehyde (WA1) 9.20
8. Haar (FE10) 9.17
9t. Deis (BoF2) 9.11
9t. Reyson (FE10) 9.11
11. Lenneth Valkyrie (VP(:L)) 9.02
12. Ephraim (FE8) 9.01
13. Elincia (FE10) 8.85
14. Tibarn (FE10) 8.83
15. Rena Lanford (SO2) 8.75
16. Tana (FE8) 8.73
17. Purim (SoM) 8.70
18. Maria Traydor (SO3) 8.68
19. Asellus (SaGa) 8.67
20. Cidolfas Orlandu (FFT) 8.66

Top 20 Failures:
1. Tree (FFT) 0.50
2. Rei (SaGa) 0.67
3. Karla (FE7) 0.77
4. Chu-chu (XG) 0.85
5. Silence (SaGa) 0.92
6. Marlboro (FFT) 0.93
7. Uribo (FFT) 0.94
8. Maria Balthasar (XG) 1.00
9. Malak Golthana (FFT) 1.03
10. Byblos (FFT) 1.06
11. Douglas (FE6) 1.10
12. Skeleton (FFT) 1.13
13. Goblin (FFT) 1.20
14. Astrid (FE10) 1.20
15. Squid (FFT) 1.25
16t. Mime (FFT) 1.28
16t. Lyre (FE10) 1.28
18. Yunno (FE6) 1.35
19. Garret (FE6) 1.36
20. Guido (Grandia) 1.39

For the record, any "*insert silly thing here*/10" rating will be treated as an abstain.  Just keep this in mind when you do stuff like that (or if you want a real rating be sure to asterisk or put the real rating in parentheses or whatever)

That said...

Breath of Fire 3:
Ryu:
Rei:
Teepo:
Nina:
Momo:
Peco:
Garr:

SaGa Frontier Mecs:
BJ&K:
Engineer Car:
Leonard:
PzkwV:
Rabbit:
ZEKE:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:01:21 AM by Meeplelard »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #634 on: May 28, 2011, 05:02:49 PM »
Breath of Fire 3:
Ryu: 9/10.
Rei: 7/10.
Teepo: 4/10.
Nina: 3/10.
Momo: 6/10.
Peco: 3/10.
Garr: 5/10.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 29, 2011, 06:52:34 PM »
Breath of Fire 3:
Ryu: 10/10
Rei: 7/10
Teepo: 4/10
Nina: 5/10
Momo: 6/10
Peco: 2/10
Garr: 5/10

SaGa Frontier Mecs:
BJ&K: 8/10
Engineer Car: 3/10
Leonard: 6/10
PzkwV: 3/10
Rabbit: 3/10
ZEKE: 6/10
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 29, 2011, 07:20:28 PM »
Breath of Fire 3:
Ryu: 10/10. It's Ryu. The best even if you ignore dragons, which is something given how good the dragons are.
Rei: 6/10. Fast at least, though durability could be better. I'm probably underrating him a bit because of Chain Formation which I didn't get. May edit.
Teepo: Pass.
Nina: 3/10. Nice start, but little reason to use her later.
Momo: 7/10. Heals so Ryu doesn't have to, I like this.
Peco: 2/10. Lacks Nina's good start. The twinking arguments for him don't really hold water to me, seems like you could do better twinking others.
Garr: 5/10. Well, not Garr. Nobody suffers more from twinking/knowledge of the game than Garr. That said, for ignorant elves when they played the game for the first time, he was one of the top three PCs for most of the game. Good at what he does.

BJ&K: 7/10. Medipack is a cool quirk. Otherwise... the type of mec he is would lack damage, but the only quest he's on features TigerRampage, so he's largely set. High INT helps for setting the things you need, too.
EngineerCar: 5/10. Weird case. His unique quirks involve helping other mecs, but the quest you're most likely to use other mecs on, there's a better version of him. In all other quests he works as a pretty generic mec option but inferior to T2 overall, though he does get PopKnight at least (slightly better than ShockSoldier, which T2 gets).
Leonard: 7/10. Said better version of EngineerCar. I guess you could use both, but meh. Good stats, supports well, and gets PopKnight which is pretty rockin'.
PzkwV: 2/10. Only reason to use him is if you want a party of all mecs. Limited equip slots sucks, as does a weak self-development list.
Rabbit: 4/10. Suffers a lot because it's hard to use both him and BJ&K on Red's quest (only one TigerRampage, both have damage issues otherwise), and SatelliteLinker is much, much worse than Medipack. Stats are probably slightly worse too.
ZEKE: 6/10. Badly needs one of the support mecs to keep his low WP up, but the only quest he's on is a good one for mecs, so sure. Great speed / no weak stats otherwise.

Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 29, 2011, 09:52:17 PM »
Breath of Fire 3:
Ryu: NEB pretty much sums it up, Ryu3 is just freakin' silly.  10/10
Rei: Not really sure how I feel about Rei, but I'm at least willing to credit him being in the top half of the cast.  6/10
Teepo: Abstain
Nina: Is okay early!  Not so much later on.  3/10
Momo: Yep.  7/10
Peco: lawl.  2/10
Garr: Eh.  5/10

I realize I just burped NEB again.  Damn you Canadian mind control devices!

SaGa Frontier Mecs: Abstain.  I do not have a good grasp on mecs in general. fine i'll copy neb's numbers *again* jeez meeple
BJ&K: 7/10
Engineer Car: 5/10
Leonard: 7/10
PzkwV: 2/10
Rabbit: 4/10
ZEKE: 6/10
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 03:25:53 AM by Random Consonant »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 30, 2011, 08:38:17 AM »
Ryu: 10/10  Broken, nearly impossible to kill, decent speed, good equips, hits hardest in the cast by a large magnitude.

Rei: 7/10 Damned good, would be 8/10 if he joined a touch earlier.  Decent skillset, fantastic powergaming potential and Speed is pretty much a god stat in BoF 3 if only for allowing you to be an amazing item boy (with BoF 3s very cheap effective healing items).  Carried a bit by equip options.  Not as good as Ryu's but has a good spread with weapons and armour.

Teepo: DNR.  His primary uses are power gaming.

Nina: 7/10 I have ranted how bad Nina is in the long term a whole ton before.  This is In Game use though.  You know those parts Rei isn't in that hold him back from 8/10?  Those are the parts where Nina really shines.  She is there a lot and when she is forced she is damned good.  The only point she really starts to fall off is in the Volcano and hey look she learned Iceblast.  Now she is great again.  Get her early Typhoon and early game she is like 9/10 worthy.  She falls down after the Volcano, but mostly because Angel Tower has some straight up rude randoms with good physicals.  She never really picks up.  That first half of the game though?  She is awesome and totally worth the character slot.

Momo: 6/10 She is good.  She is absolutely amazing if you power game her to have good magic coverage or straight up turn her into a physical character with the AP to carry a healing skillset.  Sadly that just means that she is a weaker Ryu.  With a 3 slot party I don't really have room to swing a proto-Ryu.  She is good and you will beat the game with her quite easilly, but you will beat the game quite easilly with anyone.  Her real downfall is that I see her coming just at a point where you are about to get a character that slots into the available niche much better and doesn't need to be powergamed.

Peco: 2/10 lol no.  He is good and you will break the game if you use him properly.  I find his equipment choices dreadfully limiting.  He doesn't need the defense or attack power of course, but he sure would like some more diverse weapon options or special effects available on them both.  He is a lame version of Ershin in that department with none of the fun neat armours that Ershin gets.

Garr: 6/10  In game use he honestly isn't much better than Momo.  He just slots in a bit better when you are running along with a choice between all the other characters I find.  He doesn't step on anyone elses toes really.  Bonus points for Beast Spear really bringing him into play in the last quarter of the game because holy shit that thing hits like a truck.  If he didn't have that (which is entirely possible without knowing the game) then I would probably dump him for Momo about that point.  He does though, so he is my prime choice.  Either works just as well though, so they get the same rating.  Just shine at different points and is a case of effort vs no effort.   Edit - Case in point, you know what Momo needs to be good?  Shadowwalk, which everyone wants.  You know what Garr needs?  Double Blow.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 31, 2011, 05:19:40 AM »
Abstaining on the Mecs out of complete apathy.

Breath of Fire 3:

Ryu: 9/10
Rei: 8/10
Teepo: 6/10 - Gets the job done when you need him.
Nina: 7/10 - Nina's useful in game and gets things done well enough. She can be replaced later on if you load someone up with Deis master powers, but she's good at what she does.
Momo: 5/10. Useful but some quirks hold her back.
Peco: 1/10.
Garr: 4/10.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #640 on: June 01, 2011, 04:36:06 AM »
Breath of Fire 3:
Ryu: 10 - Solo the game yes please
Rei: 7.5 - Speed Speed Speed, but a bit late.
Teepo: 4 - uh... okay temp
Nina: 2 - Had a hard time ever making her useful. Mostly points for being a warm body... when she wasn't dead.
Momo: 6 - Healing! Just what I needed since Ryu's busy being my main source of damage.
Peco: 2 - Uh... Warm body? Can be good, but there's not even a reason to bother due to availability, unlike Nina. Trade-off is that whenever I used Peco, at least he wasn't constantly dead.
Garr: 5 - Feels pretty average. Decent out of the box, but that speed is headache inducing.

SaGa Frontier Mecs:
BJ&K: 7 - SaGa Mecs are all pretty awesome due to equipment abusability. Limited availability hurts him, though.
Engineer Car: 7.5 - Mostly points for being the most widely-available Mec (apart from T260) and the inherent brokenness that gives a party.
Leonard: 7 - Strictly better than EC, but availability woes
PzkwV: 5 - Worst Mec, though that's still not bad...
Rabbit: 6 - Availability woes, though he's naturally fast and situationally useful when he's around.
ZEKE: 6 - He's pretty good, but again, availability holds back the Mecs.

Elfboy, you should totally add a section to your stat topic with Averages for each character's story, since say Doll will never be held against Captain Hamilton in a normal playthrough.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 04:37:58 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 01, 2011, 04:42:24 AM »
No, Doll is held against a path that includes Red + 4 mecs instead, which is worse. <_<

I could be talked into doing that, but I doubt it'd make too much difference overall. I'd imagine T260G and Red would have the highest averages, so characters only available on those quests (or who want to be taken on those quests, e.g. T2 herself) would suffer a little. But I'd expect the change would be quite small.

Maybe.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 01, 2011, 12:27:24 PM »
Breath of Fire 3:
Ryu: 10/10 - Kills crappy enemies dead.
Rei: 7/10 Fast and decent.
Teepo: ?/10 - No idea how i'd rate him.
Nina: 2/10 I really don't see where people get this is good in main game business. For me she was good in the first area/s and then become so rubbish that I regretted using her and having to suffer her lol worthy offence.
Momo: 8/10 - Besides physicals which I've never gotten to work accurately she is the best character to have in the third slot.
Peco: 10/10 Haters be hating on my boy Peco.
Garr: 3/10 Is Ryu except he has worse attack, speed, options, appearance, no dragon forms, no blue hair and...actually he is not like Ryu at all my mistake but a crappy physical attacker with lol worthy magic.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:12:16 PM by Rozalia »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 05, 2011, 04:00:10 PM »
Breath of Fire 3:
Ryu: 10/10.  Yeah, pretty much the most overpowered character like...ever.  Your Main healer who is tanky with decent speed and damage, and a few nice support spells like Shield, as well as deep AP resources to run just about any role you want him to via skills, and Masters...and this is before factoring in what really makes him broken.
Rei: 6/10.  He's good when he's around, but he misses like the entire first half of the game; even before Balio/Sunder, he has long leaves of absences, so his Jeigan uses are compromised.  That said, only character who do damage that can kind of keep up with Ryu (though requires Influence), and constant Ex Turns, as well as a few nice support spells make him good in the 2nd half.
Teepo: 5/10.  He's Ryu with slightly better stats and boss damage but no healing.  Losing trade overall, I'd say. 
Nina: 4/10.  I...think some people are overselling how good she is early game.  She's merely decent early on, and actually, Typhoon doesn't make her more useful, cause she's not the ideal user of it, and that compromises her use right there.  She's always Frail, however, to the point where its a liability, not quite fast enough to Ex-turn before Masters kick in, and she's pretty much completely useless in the 2nd half of the game.  Honestly, once you get Garr, the only reason to use Nina (forced moments aside) is in the Volcano where yeah, Iceblast is pretty rocking.
Momo: 7/10.  Momo is part of what holds Nina back.  Quake is good early on, if limited, for MT damage, and Typhoon is better used on her due to higher Int and how Momo can kind of take a hit (and her durability isn't unsalvageable-able the way Nina's is)...she pretty much obsoletes Nina outside of resources and speed, and nina usually doesn't Ex-turn so the speed thing ends up not meaning as much as it does with, say, Rei, and in the case of resources, that's offset by how Momo can do actual things on her turn without costing AP (ie she has an actual physical.)  Actually, Momo having a decent physical matters a lot since it means she can use things like Shadow Walk and do actual reliable damage.
Peco: 3/10.  I use to hype the guy, but...yeah, not really much going for him.  His equipment was far too bad for its own good, which is what really holds him back, since it maens that Twink Potential...doesn't go far.  So why isn't Peco lower?  Well, he does a few things decent.  For starters, unlike Rei and Garr, he has an AP score and actual MT Damage that registers.  But more importantly, cause he joins at level 1, he makes getting master skills so much easier, and he can absorb bad stat gains as a result so you never have to care.   In the end, though, that's all he's really good for.  They basically tried to bring a Rand-style character back from BoF2, except his bases aren't as good as Rand's to offset the equipment, and his skillset is like a fraction of the use overall. 
Garr: 6/10.  Garr's good at what he does.  Takes hits well, dishes them out reasonably well, ESPECIALLY once he gets the Beast Lance, and...ok, that's all he's good at, but he does it well enough that you're set.  He compliments both Momo and Rei nicely for different reasons.  He'd be higher, but poor AP and Speed limits his offensive potential.  His skillset could be a little better too.

SaGa Frontier Mecs:
BJ&K: 6/10.  Mec with a neat gimmick!
Engineer Car: 5/10.  Mec with a less neat Gimmick!  Nice availability though.
Leonard: 7/10.  Above Mec but better!
PzkwV: 3/10.  In a story where you have a lot of Mecs, and they're all better, so there's no reason to use him like ever.
Rabbit: 5/10.  BJ&K with a less useful Gimmick, yeah that works.
ZEKE: 6/10.  Kamikaze is good damage, and he's fast regardless, so that's worth something.

alanna82

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 29, 2011, 09:22:35 PM »
Breath of Fire 3:
Ryu: 10- lol broken lol
Rei: 8- wishes he were around more, gets EX turns quite often
Teepo:- do not rank, if he gets enough votes for ranking though give him an 8. Pretty much equal to Ryu stat wise.
Nina: 5- good early game mage, and even though she is the worst at the end she still came out usable in my Nina/Garr playthrough
Momo: 8- Healer.
Peco: 3- He can be awesome if you raise him. Apparently in attack formation he has 100% counter? but mostly just a skill decoy
Garr: 5- Tank.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: July 01, 2011, 11:35:16 PM »
Breath of Fire 3:
Ryu: 9.8
Rei: 6.95
Teepo: 4.60
Nina: 4.10
Momo: 6.6
Peco: 3.00
Garr: 4.9

SaGa Frontier Mecs:
BJ&K: 7.00
Engineer Car: 5.10
Leonard: 6.80
PzkwV: 3.00
Rabbit: 4.40
ZEKE: 6.00

Best Rating of this session: Ryu w/ 9.80
Worst Rating of this session: Tied between Peco and PzkwV at 3.00

Top 20 Ratings:
1t. Ryu (BoF3) 9.80
1t. Yuna (FFX) 9.80
3. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SH1) 9.53
4. Hyuga "Citan Uzuki" Ricdeau (XG) 9.46
5. Souji Seta (P4) 9.44
6. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SHC) 9.25
7. Blue (SaGa) 9.28
8. Cecilia Lynn Adlehyde (WA1) 9.20
9. Haar (FE10) 9.17
10t. Deis (BoF2) 9.11
10t. Reyson (FE10) 9.11
12. Lenneth Valkyrie (VP(:L)) 9.02
13. Ephraim (FE8) 9.01
14. Elincia (FE10) 8.85
15. Tibarn (FE10) 8.83
16. Rena Lanford (SO2) 8.75
17. Tana (FE8) 8.73
18. Purim (SoM) 8.70
19. Maria Traydor (SO3) 8.68
20. Asellus (SaGa) 8.67

Top 20 Failures:
1. Tree (FFT) 0.50
2. Rei (SaGa) 0.67
3. Karla (FE7) 0.77
4. Chu-chu (XG) 0.85
5. Silence (SaGa) 0.92
6. Marlboro (FFT) 0.93
7. Uribo (FFT) 0.94
8. Maria Balthasar (XG) 1.00
9. Malak Golthana (FFT) 1.03
10. Byblos (FFT) 1.06
11. Douglas (FE6) 1.10
12. Skeleton (FFT) 1.13
13. Goblin (FFT) 1.20
14. Astrid (FE10) 1.20
15. Squid (FFT) 1.25
16t. Mime (FFT) 1.28
16t. Lyre (FE10) 1.28
18. Yunno (FE6) 1.35
19. Garret (FE6) 1.36
20. Guido (Grandia) 1.39

You guys need to join in and rate more! On a different note...

Dragon Warrior/Quest 4:
Solo/Sofia:
Ragnar:
Healie:
Alena:
Cristo/Kyril:
Brey/Borya:
Torneko Taloon:
Mara/Maya:
Nara/Meena:
Orin/Oojam:
Doran/Sparkie:

SaGa Frontier Monsters:
Cotton:
King Sei:
Kylin:
Red Turnip:
Slime:
Suzaku:
Thunder:

BONUS ROUND - RATE THAT WEAPON:

Mega Man 3:
Gemini Laser:
Hard Knuckle:
Magnet Missile:
Mega Buster:
Needle Cannon:
Rush Coil:
Rush Jet:
Rush Marine:
Search Snake:
Shadow Blade:
Spark Shock:
Top Spin:

I promise, next session will be more interesting than this one...mostly cause it will lack SaGa Monsters...yeah...sorry about that <_<;
Also, while normally I prefer to split rankings up between versions, in DQ4's case, I'll just say "Rank based on whatever you want" cause apparently the differences aren't big enough to give a shit about, and I don't think there's enough players to justify two rankings among individual versions or something.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 11:43:24 PM by Meeplelard »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 01, 2011, 11:46:19 PM »
Ew, Saga monsters and MM3 weapons.

Dragon Warrior/Quest 4:
Solo/Sofia: 8/10. Little slow, but has full MT healing and a good skillset/equips.
Ragnar: 4.5/10. Tanks!
Healie: DNR
Alena: 8/10. Damage!
Cristo/Kyril: 7.5/10. Awesome skillset, fucking awful damage. Balances.
Brey/Borya: 5/10. Awesome skillset, STATS OF INFINITE FAIL.
Torneko Taloon: 2/10. Useless in every version I've played. He's slow, not especially damaging and his pool of equipment is pretty unimpressive to boot.
Mara/Maya: 4/10. Attack magic in DQ4=no past the earlygame.
Nara/Meena:  3/10. Averaging the two games, because she is 1/10 in 4o, and 6/10 in 4r.
Orin/Oojam: DNR
Doran/Sparkie: 1/10. Useless.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 01, 2011, 11:49:51 PM »
Dragon Warrior/Quest 4:
Solo/Sofia: 6/10
Ragnar: 6/10
Healie: 4/10
Alena: 8/10
Cristo/Kyril: 7/10
Brey/Borya: 5/10
Torneko Taloon: 2/10
Mara/Maya: 5/10
Nara/Meena: 5/10
Orin/Oojam: DNR
Doran/Sparkie: DNR

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 01, 2011, 11:53:48 PM »
Man, I was rating, and when I went to post, you posted the update.  I blame you for the lack of warning!

Dragon Quest 4:
Solo/Sofia: 8.6/10 (8.7/10 for Sofia). Sofia is ACTUALLY SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN SOLO BECAUSE OF BEING A WOMAN AND ABLE TO WEAR A PIECE OF ARMOUR yeah whatever...great but not dominating, a few bonus points for only one you can control.
Ragnar: 6.4/10.  Straightforward, but that makes him excellent under AI control.
Healie: 7/10.  SO useful for Ragnar's quest, but doesn't do a thing but heal.
Alena: 8.5/10.  Hey it's Ragnar but a lot better.
Cristo: 4.9/10.  AI hate - really, really, really was bad for me.  Theoretically should be awesome.  I've played other versions, but the original is my standard.  
Brey: 5.3/10.  Much less AI hate.  Decent overall with his speed and damage, but wish he could use the support skills more.
Taloon: 6.9/10.  Like Ragnar, but the stealing is nice, and his AI oddities are actually useful.
Mara: 5.3/10.  Felt like the best mage AI, but her spell line felt the most resisted, and she didn't have much else.
Nara: 4.9/10.  Better AI than Cristo, and made a great heal battery, but kind of useless otherwise.
Orin: 6.9/10.  Wish you could control him, but was great for the time.
Doran: 4/10.  Too...bleh.  I'd rather take another character that I couldn't control than him.

Don't care about monsters right now.

Mega Man 3:
Gemini Laser: 7/10.  Bouncy~
Hard Knuckle: 4/10.  Kills some bosses.
Magnet Missile: 4/10.  Kills...Hard Man?  Anything else?  It has the kind of homing effect, but I'm just not that impressed.
Mega Buster: 8/10.  Always useful.
Needle Cannon: 4/10.  Felt...like the mega buster.  Except not as versatile.
Rush Coil: 10/10.  Owns high ground so hard.
Rush Jet: 10/10.  Owns non-water sections so hard.
Rush Marine: 10/10.  Owns the water sections so hard.
Search Snake: 4/10.  Hits a hard to reach area.
Shadow Blade: 8.5/10.  Hey, aimable!
Spark Shock: 3/10.  I remember it bouncing off everything way back when.  
Top Spin: 5/10.  Been so long since I played the game...I need to fix that.  Anyway, bonus points for killing final Wily, but didn't feel that useful otherwise.

How about we rank some REAL weapons?  I want to rank the Springfield, damnit!
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 01, 2011, 11:56:24 PM »
As a disclaimer, I rate Dragon Quest 4 based on controllable allies, either in the NES version or DS version (there are differences, but they're pretty small overall). Also, blanket abstain on all temps/NPCs/whatever we call them.

EDIT: Adding the temps that I care about.

Dragon Quest 4:
Solo/Sofia: 8/10. A bit slow, but durable, good attack, and good healing all adds up nicely. Lightning is a nice last-second pickup.
Ragnar: 4/10. Great durability, but that's about it.
Healie: 2/10. Uh he heals. Don't see how he's not clearly worse than Nara, though.
Alena: 9/10. That speed/power, plus the totally unnecessary double-hit weapon. Nobody works harder to make sure enemies don't overwhelm you. Only merely a solid PC against bosses, queen by far against randoms.
Cristo: 8/10. Upper/Increase is very solid in the original, but ultimately it's the healing (including MT healing) off good speed that is doughnuts in both versions.
Brey: 6/10. Probably the main case where someone feels nerfed between the two versions. Oomph took a hit and Snowstorm felt like it got resisted a lot more. Still, Acceleratle keeps his score to respectable regardless, even if the durability is trash.
Taloon: 2/10. Decent until people start gaining stats faster than him around Level 18-20 or so. Then he sucks.
Mara: 4/10. Has her moments as a glass cannon, just ugh fire against so many things.
Nara: ... 3/10. Trash in the original, decent in the remake. Still, I think most of her points in the remake come from "Insulatle is awesome in the aftergame" which... I'm not inclined to give her much credit for. Oh well, at least she can be a heal battery.
Orin: 1/10. Clearly worse than the sisters, he is pretty much Nara without healing and the ability to be controlled.

SaGa Frontier Monsters:
Cotton: 3/10. He has some uses if you can dodge some Biolab randoms that kick your teeth in I guess. Second PC on Red's quest or something like that.
King Sei: 6/10. Godawful on quests that aren't Riki's because he competes with awesome loot. On Riki's quest, very high-level monster means he's solid. So... he's happy I rate on most favourable quest appearance.
Kylin: 6/10. Reverse Gravity is pretty cool, and he has a decent form (immune to everything pretty much). Can absorb some other skills to round out an okay skillset.
Red Turnip: 1/10. Ha ha ha ha ha. He's not -that- underlevelled so he's workable if you care but WHY.
Slime: 1/10. Grossly inferior to other monster options in almost every way.
Suzaku: 2/10. Suzaku's an okay form, but you don't want to do this quest early. Plus he's extreem FAQ-bait.
Thunder: 5/10. Decent jeigan even without plumbing the depths of monster abilities, so that's something.

Mega Man 3:
Gemini Laser: 6/10. I quite like this for some bank shots, and it OHKOs those obnoxious needledudes on Needleman's level. Not to mention Needleman himself is the hardest boss, so killing him better might be worth something.
Hard Knuckle: 5/10. Okay. It's powerful, but very slow. At least you're unlikely to miss with the controllable aspect. Good mainly for one-shotting hoppers and two-shotting certain minibosses.
Magnet Missile: 7.5/10. It locks onto stuff, you can fire more than one at a time, and its damage is decent. However, for a spammable weapon, its WE depletes quickly.
Mega Buster: 4/10. Mega Buster pre-charging tends to hand out around 4.
Needle Cannon: 2/10. Mega Buster that consumes WE, oh boy. Think the up/down alternation it has works against it to boot.
Rush Coil: 4/10. Okay utility.
Rush Jet: 9.5/10. Breaks game. Even destroys an otherwise tough boss for good measure.
Rush Marine: 3/10. Totally outclassed by Rush Jet, but it's reasonable to do Shadow (-> Snake) -> Gemini -> Needle at some point which will give RM a decent chance to shine in Gemini's level. That's its only use.
Search Snake: 1.5/10. Half a point for hitting weakness on a decent robot master. Trash otherwise, way too slow AND weak and groundcrawling is not a positive trait.
Shadow Blade: 6/10. I dunno. I dislike the one-per-screen limit on a relatively weak weapon like it. That said, the directional freedom is nice, and it does hit weakness on a few things which is cool.
Spark Shock: 1.5/10. Good against a few bosses. Worst thing ever against randoms. OH BOY YOU CAN FREEZE ENEMIES and be unable to switch weapons and still take damage if you touch them and be unable to kill them. C'mon guys. Still beats Hyper Bomb.
Top Spin: 7.5/10. I like Top Spin a lot, but I'll score it lower than I'd like because it relies somewhat on good knowledge of the game. Everything either gets OHKOed by it (a majority, but not a huge majority, of enemies) or it backfires and you take damage, so it helps a lot to know which enemies do which.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:55:59 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.