Author Topic: The Royal Canadian Rando Tourney Round 1-D  (Read 778 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
The Royal Canadian Rando Tourney Round 1-D
« on: July 09, 2014, 05:33:29 AM »
Quick Vote Form

Event 9: Sax and Violins
Zeus (Mythology) IIIII IIII vs. Alex Louis Armstrong (Full Metal Alchemist)

Event 10: Eating Contest
Relm Arrowny (FF6) II vs. I IIIII Ferris Beuller

Event 11: Drinking Contest
Rosalina (SMG) III vs. IIII Ringabel (Bravely Default)

Event 12: Artillery Duel
Lucille Ball (I Love Lucy) IIII vs. II Brave Sir Robin (MP&tHG)

Pairs Event 3: Prisoner's Dialemma
Aegil (Rondo of Swords) / Princess Leia (Star Wars) II vs. III Graendael (Wheel of Time) / Zoey (Left4Dead)

Pairs Event 4: Ballroom Dancing
Scrooge McDuck (Disney) / Orc Peon (Warcraft) IIIII vs. IIII Lord Soth (Dragonlance) / MacBeth (The Scottish Play)

Round 1-D

Event 13: American Gladiators
You can forget the events, the competitors, the...  spandex?  That's right, it's time for that old standby, American Gladiators, where two competitors compete in all sorts of physical challenges before eventually facing each other on pillars while wielding overgrown Q-Tips.

Our first competitor comes into this with the advantage of being a fighter from a famed RPG.  Granted...  he's not a very good fighter.  And his durability is kinda on par with a regular Q-Tip.  And he's most famous for...  well, either hiding after taking a strong scratch, or just pining after a dead woman for twenty years.  But Edward the Bard does come into this with one big advantage: he's hit puberty.  Yup, he's up against Calvin.  So we're seeing a grown ass man up against a pre-pubescent boy, but one who would consider this a dream competition if only he'd hit his teens.

Event 14: Win the Big Game
You know how it goes, the underdogs manage to get into the finals despite all the odds.  And at this point, it doesn't matter if they're the Little Giants, the Mighty Ducks, or the Besaid Aurochs, you know they're gonna band together and pull off the last second win.  Of course, this event is all about sticking our two competitors into that key position, to see if they can nail that last second goal, or if they're gonna be like Casey at the Bat.

Oddly enough, this is one of those matches where a straight up hero is less likely to pull it off than a reformed bad boy who's learned the value of teamwork.  Our first competitor actually plays that straight, as we're looking at the opening villain turned team player Vegeta, second last of the Super Saiyans.  He's got phenominal power, and he even takes part in the occasional tournament which means he's got all kinds of qualifications for this.  But he's up against someone who's also kinda in the same position.  If by reformed bad boy you mean completely unrepentant but always on the "good guys" side.  If by becoming a team player you mean learns the value of patsies and stooges.  And if by taking part in sporting events you mean surviving Flay's twisted Parent-Teacher Day bonding exercise.  Yes, Goto takes to the field to save the day!

Event 15: Chariot Racing
Everyone knows how chariot racing goes.  And if you don't, YouTube that famous Ben-Hur clip.  That'll get your fix of high speed horse drawn deathtrap mayhem that Mario Kart is the modern answer to.  Naturally, the winner is either the first one to cross the finish line enough times, or the last one standing.  That said, no weapons will be allowed except for the whips used to spur on the horses, and possibly some chariot mounted blades to hack at opposing wheels.  But that's all.

First up is the job class that best epitomises learning through pain.  Yes, the Blue Mage makes their chariot racing debut.  And, the nice thing is that any dirty tricks used against the Blue Mage is gonna be tossed right back at the foolish fool that uses them.  Assuming, of course, the Blue Mage survives the trick in the first place.  Aside from that, the Blue Mage is generally competant at most things, and should put up a good showing.  But will a good showing be enough when he's up against someone known for adventure?  Finn the Human is here to show how Charioteering is done.  And while I know very little about him, the little I do know suggests that this should be right up his alley.

Event 16: Jogurt Herding
In the wild west, there comes a time each year when the great herds have to move to more fertile grazin' lands.  But it ain't just any greenhorn that can herd the mighty Jogurt.  After all, they swarm in herds a over a thousand.  And being too rough on the critters kills 'em right dead cause they ain't the sturdiest beasts around.  So, we're gonna be givin' these two city slickers their own Jogurt herds, and alla the tools they'll need ta herd the buggers cross the great plains o Sacae.

Our first herder knows his way round hustling a bunch a squishy mooks.  The great Koopa King is gonna be tryin' ta see just how much like a swarm a goombas a jogurt's gonna be.  He's also got one sweet steed in his flying clown copter.  But, he can't use his army.  He can have his kids as wranglers, but that'll be all.

Our second herder is a lot more used ta things that take a lotta work ta kill.  S'why she's called the Slayer.  But Buffy Summers is good at dealin' with all kindsa things that need quick thinking.  And her friends'll make great wranglers.

Team Event 2: Tug of War
There's just not a whole lot to say about this one.  There's a long rope, a team tugging on either side, and a pit full of mud between them.  So, this match is all about team strength, without any fancy tricks or magical spells.

The first team is almost certainly going to be anchored by Baloo, the pilot from Tail Spin.  Bears are known for their strength, and when he bothers to be, Baloo is pretty strong.  Which is good, because the only other member of his team with much brawn is Bayonetta, who must have some strength to do all that jumping, running, and shooting (hey, it takes strength to keep guns on target when firing that often).  The remaining two members of their team will be the mage from Duck Tales, Magica DeSpell, and the most annoying physicist in the world, Sheldon Cooper. 

The second team is probably also going to have a slam dunk for their anchor in the Hero of Earth, Captain Gordon.  While he may just be human, his strength can compare with demons and angels.  Backing him up will be the slam dancing moogle, Mog who has a fair amount of brawn, even if he's lacking in size.  Oddly enough, he won't be the only super shorty on his team as he's paired up with Hello Kitty.  Finally, there's the team captain, Pevara Tazanohvi who only wishes she could use force of will, or simply the One Power, in place of strength of arms.  However, like any good Aes Sedai, she will be annoyingly stubborn.

Quick Vote Form:
Edward (FF4) vs. Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Goto (Mana Khemia 2) vs. Vegeta (DBZ)

Blue Mage vs. Finn the Human (Adventure Time)

Bowser vs. Buffy Summers (Buffy:tVS)

{Bayonetta (Bayonetta), Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory), Magica DeSpell (DuckTales), Baloo (Tail Spin)} vs. {Hello Kitty, Mog (FF6), Pevara Tazanohvi (Wheel of Time), Captain Gordon (Disgaia)}

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Royal Canadian Rando Tourney Round 1-D
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 06:24:39 AM »
Calvin fails spectacularly at such events, and I doubt even teenage Calvin, if allowed, would do much better - he'd stay up the entire night before watching reruns to prep himself then miss the bus to the studio, or something.

Assumption that Goto = failure.

Finn is kinda broken in a Tourney of Randomness.  This seems something right up his alley, while it'd be more Beastmaster / Ranger that'd be able to handle a Chariot racing event.

Neither of these are any good at it.  Bowser "herds" a vast army of koopa turtles I suppose, but that's a little different, and large portions of it have a tendency to suicidally walk into bottomless pits.  And Buffy can ask Giles who'll look up how the Great Jogurt herd of 1889 opened up a portal to a demon dimension, but again, not sure that would actually help.  Open to arguments.

{Bayonetta (Bayonetta), Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory), Magica DeSpell (DuckTales), Baloo (Tail Spin)} vs. {Hello Kitty, Mog (FF6), Pevara Tazanohvi (Wheel of Time), Captain Gordon (Disgaia)}
Team with a Bear + 3 humans vs. Team with 2 humans, Mog, and Hello Kitty.  I can maybe buy Mog as equivalent to a human, but Hello Kitty vs. a Bear?  It'll be a very cute loss at least...
EDIT: Actually CK has a good point, pointlessly cheating and thus sabotaging her own team seems like something cartoony villainy would do.  Dunno about Aes Sedai hype (the book CLAIMS they're all super subtle and badass, sure, but their actual ability always seemed questionable to me) but I doubt it's needed.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 08:17:47 PM by SnowFire »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 06:43:12 AM »

Quick Vote Form:

Blue Mage vs. Finn the Human (Adventure Time)- Finn's just randomly good at things of this sort, so in absence of specific evidence the Blue Mage should be talented at this I lean towards him.

Bowser vs. Buffy Summers (Buffy:tVS)- They both kinda suck at this, but Buffy is a lot less likely to 'accidentally' kill huge portions of the herd.

{Bayonetta (Bayonetta), Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory), Magica DeSpell (DuckTales), Baloo (Tail Spin)} vs. {Hello Kitty, Mog (FF6), Pevara Tazanohvi (Wheel of Time), Captain Gordon (Disgaia)}- Baloo might be able to pull his team through in straight fight, but... this isn't a straight fight.  Magica is too cartoonishly evil to NOT try and use magic to cheat.  Except she's trying to magically cheat an Aes Sedai, so even if she were normally crafty enough to get away with it (not-bloody-likely), she's getting out-gambitted here.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 11:31:56 PM »
Edward is a sissy.  Calvin is a butt monkey in his universe.  One could give the win to Edward on account of Calvin overall sucking or to Calvin due to Edward failing to appear.  Yuck, reaching for the big red button marked Total Fail and leaving it up to executive decision just what that entails.

No vote

Don't care.

Bowser has a tough hide and Jogurt attacks tink on him.  He could win by luring the herd into trying to attack him and leading them to the destination.  Whether he's smart enough to come up with this strategy and willing to put aside his pride and ego long enough to carry it out is rather inconceivable.

Throwing out Sheldon and Hello Kitty for being deadweight.  At least they're better than empty air though.  Sure, I'll go with "Magica sabotoges her own team."  Jungle Book Baloo might tip things back in his team's favor but Tail Spin Baloo has been getting a little flabby.  If Mog is somehow allowed to call upon Umaro, it's no contest.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:27:55 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 11:58:58 PM »

Quick Vote Form:
Edward (FF4) vs. Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)- Calvin is terrible at this, but Edward loses as soon as he takes some damage from Assault and auto hides. Count on Edward to lose to a 6 year old.

Goto (Mana Khemia 2) vs. Vegeta (DBZ)- Goto... win? hahahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaa. no.

Bowser vs. Buffy Summers (Buffy:tVS)- Buffy strikes me as more competent by a long shot.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 12:40:31 AM »
uhhhhhhh

Goto about as helpful as a rock.

Sure I guess.

Bowser not exactly a champ at this herding thing

Abstain.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 02:23:44 AM »
Alright folks, this thing got left up extra long because it started during DLCon, but the update comes tomorrow!  If you want to vote, now is the time to do it!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 10:11:49 AM »
On vacation, not looking up anything about people I don't know.

Edward (FF4) vs. Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes): Both of these are the pinnacle of incompetent at this. Tiebreaking for Calvin because American Gladiators is kind of a fantasy, therefore I could see it taking place in Calvin's imagination, therefore Hobbes mauls Edward (and Calvin, probably, but Edward first).

Goto (Mana Khemia 2) vs. Vegeta (DBZ): I can get behind "Goto = failure".

Blue Mage vs. Finn the Human (Adventure Time): Dunno Finn.

Bowser vs. Buffy Summers (Buffy:tVS): Bowser has a lot of experience herding his minions and hey in Bowser RPG they are actually rather successful attacks. Pretty open to arguments though because many of his herding attempts also backfire, but I don't recall Buffy having any relevant experience here.

{Bayonetta (Bayonetta), Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory), Magica DeSpell (DuckTales), Baloo (Tail Spin)} vs. {Hello Kitty, Mog (FF6), Pevara Tazanohvi (Wheel of Time), Captain Gordon (Disgaia)}: Baloo + Bayonetta is two people with beyond human strength against a team which has at most one, and that's taking a very generous view of Mog. I'm pretty sure Bayonetta can figure out her team has the advantage and scare Magica into not cheating, since that seems to be the issue.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 02:19:20 AM »
Bowser vs. Buffy Summers (Buffy:tVS)- So yeah, both suck at this, but Buffy is far more likely to find some spell that will accomplish what is needed. Bowser and management are not things, and certainly he's not remotely known for finding workable alternate strategies.
...into the nightfall.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 04:10:55 AM »

[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory