Author Topic: Music Tournament of DOOM mk3 ~Pool 2~  (Read 4787 times)

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
Music Tournament of DOOM mk3 ~Pool 2~
« on: March 22, 2010, 10:10:21 PM »
I think you know the drill by now. Copy the match ups below and bold which song you like better. The names are links to a stream of the song.

If there are any mistakes, please let me know ASAP so we can fix them.

I will put up a new pool every half week and they will all be open for a week as well. If enough people don't like this pace, I am willing to change the schedule, but let's roll with this and see how it goes.

MAIN TOURNAMENT
Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 - Brother in Faith VS. Legend of Mana - City of Flickering Destruction
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Xion VS. MapleStory - The Dangerous Cave
Guilty Gear XX - Awe of She VS. Growlanser Generations - Zion’s Battle
Total Distortion - You Are Dead VS. Hoshigami - Tower of Wind

Wild ARMs Alter Code: F - Footsteps VS. Final Fantasy Tactics - Trisection
Bionic Commando: Rearmed - Leap of Faith VS. Tales of Vesperia - A Vow of Unity
Atelier Iris 3 - Rain of Blossoms VS. Shadow Hearts - Much Hatred Still Rankles
Chrono Cross - Radical Dreamer ~ Unstolen Jewel VS. Suikoden 2 - Gothic Neclord

ANIME
Ghost in the Shell - Laser Seeker VS. Madlax - Margaret
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Follow Me VS. Ouran High School Host Club - Tango Brilliante for Orchestra

ARRANGED
Actraiser - by Prince of Darkness/Guitar Bizarre/Chris Feener - A Coele Usque Ad Centrum VS. Jurassic Park - DarthWeather - Visitor's Center Phaser Remix
Star Ocean 3 - Motoi Sakuraba Live Concert Star Ocean & Valkyrie Profile - Highbrow VS. Duck Tales - OCRemix - Harden the Duck Up!

Full pool downloads
Part 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?ytzndtocmyi
Part 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?ymjmw43gjwg

Voting closes in one week after the time of this post.  EDIT: Monday March 29, 6:00 PM EST
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 11:54:59 PM by Talaysen »

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of DOOM mk3 ~Pool 2~
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 11:15:29 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 - Brother in Faith VS. Legend of Mana - City of Flickering Destruction - LoM music + my nom, and it's against a vocal track, so bias wins out of course.  Brother in Faith is alright but not spectacular, at any rate.
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Xion VS. MapleStory - The Dangerous Cave - Uh... yeah, this is not really close at all.
Guilty Gear XX - Awe of She VS. Growlanser Generations - Zion’s Battle - Still not in awe of this she but it's better than something that does absolutely nothing for a minute and a half
Total Distortion - You Are Dead VS. Hoshigami - Tower of Wind - Well You Are Dead has amusement value at least but it seems that Hoshi had a decent track buried deep in the pile of utter shit that is Hoshi so yeah.  It's not great or anything but it beats a joke track at least.

Wild ARMs Alter Code: F - Footsteps VS. Final Fantasy Tactics - Trisection - Oh hey a vocal track and it's up against something I nommed 2: The Search For More Money.  Only Footsteps is kinda meh so yeah.
Bionic Commando: Rearmed - Leap of Faith VS. Tales of Vesperia - A Vow of Unity - Leap of Faith is kinda uh what.  Vow of Unity isn't great either but eh.
Atelier Iris 3 - Rain of Blossoms VS. Shadow Hearts - Much Hatred Still Rankles - Uh man I don't even know here.  Both are kinda meh.
Chrono Cross - Radical Dreamer ~ Unstolen Jewel VS. Suikoden 2 - Gothic Neclord - Vocal track vs something I nommed 3: The Revenge Of The Son  Of The Uncle Of The Villain From The First Film.  Hooray for bias~

ANIME
Ghost in the Shell - Laser Seeker VS. Madlax - Margaret - Yep.
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Follow Me VS. Ouran High School Host Club   -   Tango Brilliante for Orchestra - Hate the vocals on Follow Me.

ARRANGED
Actraiser - by Prince of Darkness/Guitar Bizarre/Chris Feener - A Coele Usque Ad Centrum VS. Jurassic Park - DarthWeather - Visitor's Center Phaser Remix - Meh.
Star Ocean 3 - Motoi Sakuraba Live Concert Star Ocean & Valkyrie Profile - Highbrow VS. Duck Tales - OCRemix - The Moon - Easy.  Highbrow is never that great, painful to listen to at some parts, and generally fails at justifying its length.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 11:15:55 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 - Brother in Faith VS. Legend of Mana - City of Flickering Destruction - Neat vs Meh
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Xion VS. MapleStory - The Dangerous Cave - The KH song is nice enough, but Dangerous Cave is just fun.
Guilty Gear XX - Awe of She VS. Growlanser Generations - Zion’s Battle - Too much buildup for not enough payoff in the latter track. Awe of She is a nice rock track.
Total Distortion - You Are Dead VS. Hoshigami - Tower of Wind - The Hoshi track is nicer than I anticipated, but it falls in the face of utter hilarity.

Wild ARMs Alter Code: F - Footsteps VS. Final Fantasy Tactics - Trisection - Footsteps still strikes a chord with me, so your average FFT track doesn't stand a chance to me.
Bionic Commando: Rearmed - Leap of Faith VS. Tales of Vesperia - A Vow of Unity - Coinflip. Both are just on the right side of average.
Atelier Iris 3 - Rain of Blossoms VS. Shadow Hearts - Much Hatred Still Rankles - Wow. Great song. This might win the section for me.
Chrono Cross - Radical Dreamer ~ Unstolen Jewel VS. Suikoden 2 - Gothic Neclord - You know, I was thinking "Hey, this is some nice guitar work. It should beat Gothic Neclord." ... then the vocals kicked in and ruined it.

ANIME
Ghost in the Shell - Laser Seeker VS. Madlax - Margaret - Dead average Kanno vs. Decent Kajiura. Easy call.
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Follow Me VS. Ouran High School Host Club   -   Tango Brilliante for Orchestra - Follow Me is almost a good Broadway type song. Tango is just average BGM.

ARRANGED
Actraiser - by Prince of Darkness/Guitar Bizarre/Chris Feener - A Coele Usque Ad Centrum VS. Jurassic Park - DarthWeather - Visitor's Center Phaser Remix - At times, the ActRaiser song is nice, at other times an utter mess. Jurassic Park is just as good and much more consistant.
Star Ocean 3 - Motoi Sakuraba Live Concert Star Ocean & Valkyrie Profile - Highbrow VS. Duck Tales - OCRemix - Harden the Duck Up! - Color me disappointed. As soon as I said "Hey, orchestral Sakuraba music is kinda awesome" all the synth kicked in. Duck Tales blew me away.

EternalLurker

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 11:44:56 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 - Brother in Faith VS. Legend of Mana - City of Flickering Destruction
  fairly easy
  Hadn't heard either before. Both are kinda nice, but Xion wins.
  I probably could've nommed a better GG song (maybe Haven't You Got Eyes In Your Head or Simple Life), but this one's still in my top five and wins.
  What. You Are Dead can't lose to some tame thing like that!

Boring versus repetitive, great. I flipped a coin.
  LoF's kinda fun. VoU's kinda boring.
  Ooh, I like RoB. MHSR's okay, I guess.
  *sigh* Chrono Trigger had good music. Chrono Cross has generally boring music. There's a lot of Suikoden music I'd prefer to Gothic Neclord and it still wins.

ANIME
  Not too much of a contest. Laser Seeker is pretty damn fun.
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Follow Me VS. Ouran High School Host Club   -   Tango Brilliante for Orchestra
  bleh and eh. Eh wins.

ARRANGED
Actraiser - by Prince of Darkness/Guitar Bizarre/Chris Feener - A Coele Usque Ad Centrum VS. Jurassic Park - DarthWeather - Visitor's Center Phaser Remix
  There is...a bit of a length disparity in this matchup. One's too short to entertain for long; the other's too long to remain entertaining for its full length. I'll go with the non-looped loop.
Star Ocean 3 - Motoi Sakuraba Live Concert Star Ocean & Valkyrie Profile - Highbrow VS. Duck Tales - OCRemix - Harden the Duck Up!
  heh

EDIT: Oops bolded the wrong one at the end there
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 11:48:40 PM by EternalLurker »

Tonfa

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 11:52:22 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 - Brother in Faith VS. Legend of Mana - City of Flickering Destruction: SRW vocals without manliness, get out
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Xion VS. MapleStory - The Dangerous Cave: There are several dozen better Maple choices but at least it's not zzzzz
Guilty Gear XX - Awe of She VS. Growlanser Generations - Zion’s Battle: Awe of She is still quite rockin'
Total Distortion - You Are Dead VS. Hoshigami - Tower of Wind: no u

Wild ARMs Alter Code: F - Footsteps VS. Final Fantasy Tactics - Trisection: One of the seven great battle themes of FFT > nice but forgettable vocal.
Bionic Commando: Rearmed - Leap of Faith VS. Tales of Vesperia - A Vow of Unity: How utterly nondescript. ToV track had that annoying sound effect every 20 seconds so it loses.
Atelier Iris 3 - Rain of Blossoms VS. Shadow Hearts - Much Hatred Still Rankles: Yeeeeah support nom vs. average SH mood music.
Chrono Cross - Radical Dreamer ~ Unstolen Jewel VS. Suikoden 2 - Gothic Neclord: This Mitose vocal resurfaced instead of the numerous other choices? Oh well. Not that Neclord hasn't been in this like every year, but hey, it's pretty good.

ANIME
Ghost in the Shell - Laser Seeker VS. Madlax - Margaret: *clicks on Laser Seeker* "Hey, this is really catchy and somehow familiar... ... ...no freaking way. I found the origin of the BANANA SHIKI THEME?" You need at least above average Kajiura to stand a chance !!
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Follow Me VS. Ouran High School Host Club - Tango Brilliante for Orchestra: Not a fan of the style of vocal song Follow Me represents. I'll have a rose and a wineglass, thank you~

ARRANGED
Actraiser - by Prince of Darkness/Guitar Bizarre/Chris Feener - A Coele Usque Ad Centrum VS. Jurassic Park - DarthWeather - Visitor's Center Phaser Remix: Rockin' it good. Don't like the type of remix for the other one at all.
Star Ocean 3 - Motoi Sakuraba Live Concert Star Ocean & Valkyrie Profile - Highbrow VS. Duck Tales - OCRemix - Harden the Duck Up!: I like Highbrow. Ducktales mix lacks oomph. Why is the Highbrow live version so miserable?!
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 12:03:23 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

ANIME
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Follow Me VS. Ouran High School Host Club   -   Tango Brilliante for Orchestra

ARRANGED
Star Ocean 3 - Motoi Sakuraba Live Concert Star Ocean & Valkyrie Profile - Highbrow VS. Duck Tales - OCRemix - The Moon
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 01:17:16 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

ANIME
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Follow Me VS. Ouran High School Host Club   -   Tango Brilliante for Orchestra

ARRANGED

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 01:36:49 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 - Brother in Faith VS.Legend of Mana - City of Flickering Destruction- Brother in faith is way better than I expected from a SRW vocal, but City of Flickering destruction still trumps it.
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Xion VS. MapleStory - The Dangerous Cave- Neither of these are very good.
Guilty Gear XX - Awe of She VS. Growlanser Generations - Zion’s Battle- Deserves no comments.

Wild ARMs Alter Code: F - Footsteps VS. Final Fantasy Tactics - Trisection- Never been a huge trisection fan. Antidote, running through the plains, and Antipyretic (Which I couldn't remember the name for) are far better.
Bionic Commando: Rearmed - Leap of Faith VS. Tales of Vesperia - A Vow of Unity- They did a terrible job of remixing one of the best NES tracks around. It loses it's clarity and instead is replaced by a jarring beat. Vow of Unity just works for me, and fits Dangrest perfectly.
Atelier Iris 3 - Rain of Blossoms VS. Shadow Hearts - Much Hatred Still Rankles- Kneejerk.  Neither impresses me.
Chrono Cross - Radical Dreamer ~ Unstolen Jewel VS. Suikoden 2 - Gothic Neclord- Coinflip. Gothic Neclord tries to be bloody tears and fails at it, while radical  dreamer is decent until the woman starts moaning. Eh.

ANIME
Ghost in the Shell - Laser Seeker VS.Madlax - Margaret- What Soppy said.
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Follow Me VS. Ouran High School Host Club - Tango Brilliante for Orchestra- This is the third outstanding GitS track I've heard from these music topics. Need to listen to more of it's OST. Host club isn't a match.

ARRANGED
Actraiser - by Prince of Darkness/Guitar Bizarre/Chris Feener - A Coele Usque Ad Centrum VS. Jurassic Park - DarthWeather - Visitor's Center Phaser Remix- The Jurassic park theme hurt my head.
Star Ocean 3 - Motoi Sakuraba Live Concert Star Ocean & Valkyrie Profile - Highbrow VS. Duck Tales - OCRemix - Harden the Duck Up!- Blowout.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 01:38:25 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 - Brother in Faith VS. Legend of Mana - City of Flickering DestructionL LoM is generally tough to beat.
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Xion VS. MapleStory - The Dangerous Cave: I'm not sure which one of these bores me less. Let's see what Hatbot thinks. ...Maplebot, apparently.
Guilty Gear XX - Awe of She VS. Growlanser Generations - Zion’s Battle: Not my preferred version of Awe of She, but the opposition just has too much wind-up.
Total Distortion - You Are Dead VS. Hoshigami - Tower of Wind: Sometimes comedy value is enough. For round 1, at least.

Wild ARMs Alter Code: F - Footsteps VS. Final Fantasy Tactics - Trisection: Trisection's okay. Also, it generally takes some excellent composition to get me to care about a song in another language and Footsteps doesn't really manage it.
Bionic Commando: Rearmed - Leap of Faith VS. Tales of Vesperia - A Vow of Unity: Meh off, but at least one has some nostalgia value. This tourney needs the PS3 Bionic Commando remixes. That was the one thing the game got totally right.
Atelier Iris 3 - Rain of Blossoms VS. Shadow Hearts - Much Hatred Still Rankles: More mehness.
Chrono Cross - Radical Dreamer ~ Unstolen Jewel VS. Suikoden 2 - Gothic Neclord: And this is one of the vocal tracks I do actually care about. Sometimes understatement and simple arrangement can work wonders. Love the guitar, love the harmonies near the end.

ANIME
Ghost in the Shell - Laser Seeker VS. Madlax - Margaret: Standalone Complex background music never clicked with me. Also, my nom.
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Follow Me VS. Ouran High School Host Club - Tango Brilliante for Orchestra: My nom vs. silly nonsense.

ARRANGED
Actraiser - by Prince of Darkness/Guitar Bizarre/Chris Feener - A Coele Usque Ad Centrum VS. Jurassic Park - DarthWeather - Visitor's Center Phaser Remix: Jurassic Park song is actually pretty neat, but nom solidarity and all.
Star Ocean 3 - Motoi Sakuraba Live Concert Star Ocean & Valkyrie Profile - Highbrow VS. Duck Tales - OCRemix - Harden the Duck Up!: I like parts of Highbrow. It doesn't need an interminable solo in the middle, though.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 01:48:41 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 - Brother in Faith VS. Legend of Mana - City of Flickering Destruction - Aw man haven't played LoM although it's somehow close anyway which is music props I guess
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Xion VS. MapleStory - The Dangerous Cave - Goes down smooth like meatloaf
Guilty Gear XX - Awe of She VS. Growlanser Generations - Zion’s Battle - Aw man my new interest in GG/BB music tells me that Awe of She is indeed doing it right guys
Total Distortion - You Are Dead VS. Hoshigami - Tower of Wind - I could find something like Tower of Wind in a lot of games, meanwhile YOU ARE DEAD is totally not false advertising on me, that's important man

Wild ARMs Alter Code: F - Footsteps VS. Final Fantasy Tactics - Trisection - Am I agreeing with Richard, that's like agreeing with Ko
Bionic Commando: Rearmed - Leap of Faith VS. Tales of Vesperia - A Vow of Unity - If I had never played ToV to Dahngrest I would go the other way
Atelier Iris 3 - Rain of Blossoms VS. Shadow Hearts - Much Hatred Still Rankles - More bunny girl content
Chrono Cross - Radical Dreamer ~ Unstolen Jewel VS. Suikoden 2 - Gothic Neclord - Aw man me arbitrarily reversing my stance on vocals to make an exception for vocals in atmospheric music, also Gothic Neclord has less good spots than I thought it had
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 04:14:49 AM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 01:49:51 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Let's not pretend this is in any way close.
Cave is cute but no.
Yes Zion's Battle is a slow starter but it's not like the intro is bad or anything.  Meanwhile Awe of She continues to get a wave of meh from me, and has also been in all three music tourneys so far so it's also overexposed.
Okay URDED is pretty funny.  But Tower of Wind is surprisingly good, despite being short.

I actually like Footprints a lot, but tough matchup here.
Weird match.  Unsure.
I'll admit I'm biased because Much Hatred Still Rankles is the music that plays for Yuri freakin' Hyuga doing something heroic / awesome.  The fact that dark moody stuff like this is the "let's kick ass" music is pretty awesome to me.
Awesome vs. overrated.

ANIME
Kaijura vs. random noise.  What happened, Kanno?!
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Follow Me VS. Ouran High School Host Club - Tango Brilliante for Orchestra
This music reminds me of the library music from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

ARRANGED
I guess.
Eh.  I like Highbrow.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 02:16:55 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

Bionic Commando: Rearmed - Leap of Faith VS. Tales of Vesperia - A Vow of Unity: Mmm.

ANIME

ARRANGED

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 02:40:18 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

Wild ARMs Alter Code: F - Footsteps VS. Final Fantasy Tactics - Trisection: Not a huge fan of trisection.
Atelier Iris 3 - Rain of Blossoms VS. Shadow Hearts - Much Hatred Still Rankles: Neat match both are good.

ANIME
Ghost in the Shell - Laser Seeker VS. Madlax - Margaret: GitS music is very good, but it's getting tough draws. The other song is wonderful.
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Follow Me VS. Ouran High School Host Club - Tango Brilliante for Orchestra: GitS's bad luck continues. Follow me is nice, but Tango is one of my noms.

ARRANGED

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 04:39:40 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 - Brother in Faith VS. Legend of Mana - City of Flickering Destruction- Credits song?  Very un-SRW in general.  Which is not the way to win CK votes >.>
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Xion VS. MapleStory - The Dangerous Cave- Hey, my nom.  Dangerous Cave is quirky but not really me.
Guilty Gear XX - Awe of She VS. Growlanser Generations - Zion’s Battle- Really they both kinda go to the same place.  Awe of She gets there faster though.
Total Distortion - You Are Dead VS. Hoshigami - Tower of Wind- ... it's like the 80's compressed into 2 minutes.  On the other hand, it's Hoshi, I feel like I should just disqualify it (note: actually it's alright, though you can tell it's from a budget PS1 game.)  I... I dunno.  HATBOT!

Bionic Commando: Rearmed - Leap of Faith VS. Tales of Vesperia - A Vow of Unity-  Man.  I dunno what the hell kind of synth trick Leap of Faith is using, but it makes my skin crawl.  Voting to not hear it again.
Atelier Iris 3 - Rain of Blossoms VS. Shadow Hearts - Much Hatred Still Rankles- Kinda bland for a Gust battle track.  At least I think it is.  Anyway, what the heck, vote for the underdog.
Chrono Cross - Radical Dreamer ~ Unstolen Jewel VS. Suikoden 2 - Gothic Neclord- Mitose!

ANIME
Ghost in the Shell - Laser Seeker VS. Madlax - Margaret- Mmm.  Y'know, this is just weird and I think I want it to stick around for that reason alone.
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Follow Me VS. Ouran High School Host Club - Tango Brilliante for Orchestra- Mm.  I am a sucker for good piano.  Although I kinda feel bad, GitS has had nothing but good to great tracks and I've voted against all of them.

ARRANGED
Actraiser - by Prince of Darkness/Guitar Bizarre/Chris Feener - A Coele Usque Ad Centrum VS. Jurassic Park - DarthWeather - Visitor's Center Phaser Remix- I'm not sure being ten minutes long is good for it, but Visitor's Center is utterly not me.
Star Ocean 3 - Motoi Sakuraba Live Concert Star Ocean & Valkyrie Profile - Highbrow VS. Duck Tales - OCRemix - Harden the Duck Up!- Neither really speaks to me.  Highbrow would benefit from being faster, but good base song.  Duck Tales... I'm not sure what it's going for really.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 01:05:14 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 - Brother in Faith VS. Legend of Mana - City of Flickering Destruction - I kind of like how Brother was going, but it was a bit too rock. The tune was really more suited for a ballad. Also needed less Basaravoice. On the other hand we have City which coincidentally enough was too subdued. Going to go with vocals here.
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Xion VS. MapleStory - The Dangerous Cave - Xion puts me in mind of City, which is fine but overly subdued. Cave is all over the place a little and I don't care too much for the beat.
Guilty Gear XX - Awe of She VS. Growlanser Generations - Zion’s Battle - The backing on Awe is too powerful and is kind of drowning out the melody. Decent besides that. Zion takes far too long to start doing anything; once it does it's okay, but that opening kind of ruins any chance it had. I don't think it would have had one here without it anyway.
Total Distortion - You Are Dead VS. Hoshigami - Tower of Wind - Dead was competent enough that I don't really have anything to say against it, for all that it is not exactly the apogee of musicality. Tower on the other hand was semiactively discordant at points, and there didn't really seem to be any cooperation between the instruments.

Wild ARMs Alter Code: F - Footsteps VS. Final Fantasy Tactics - Trisection - Eeeeeeh. Footsteps's vocals are up and down, and could have used less trips into the higher pitches. Trisection on the other hand is Trisection. It's not really the sort of music I enjoy listening to for extended periods. Going with vocals.
Bionic Commando: Rearmed - Leap of Faith VS. Tales of Vesperia - A Vow of Unity - Leap: Aside from he backing being overpowered, it was decent, although I think it would have been stronger if the main 'instrument' wasn't constantly curving its notes. Vow: I enjoy the for lack of a better term chorus of the track, but the rest doesn't really live up to it. Plus there are those wirey effects in the background a lot. I think that Leap is going to have to take this one.
Atelier Iris 3 - Rain of Blossoms VS. Shadow Hearts - Much Hatred Still Rankles - Rain is normally very nice. But. The warping effects every now and then, plus some other bits and pieces, sour it a little. I declare Hatred's new name to be Too Much Percussion Still Rankles. The bells come in far too late and are done too little with to save it.
Chrono Cross - Radical Dreamer ~ Unstolen Jewel VS. Suikoden 2 - Gothic Neclord - Jewel is fine, although the singer's voice can get a bit squeaky at times which is grating. Gothic is pleasantly upbeat with a pseudo-pipe organ and I have no complaints against it at this time. Finally a worthy matchup! I think Gothic's worthfulness edges out ahead of vocals here.

ANIME
Ghost in the Shell - Laser Seeker VS. Madlax - Margaret - Laser feels like it's building up to something it never reaches. It has a certain amount of groove, but that's about it. Margeret is decent. The tune is somewhat repetitive, for all that is a nice tune, and the vocals can get a little squeaky. Still, going with vocals.
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Follow Me VS. Ouran High School Host Club - Tango Brilliante for Orchestra - I guess Follow is passable. It's so slow, though. Tango gives off a similar feel to Margeret from before, but the tune is more upbeat and there're no vocals. I think that this is enough to beat out vocals this time.

ARRANGED
Actraiser - by Prince of Darkness/Guitar Bizarre/Chris Feener - A Coele Usque Ad Centrum VS. Jurassic Park - DarthWeather - Visitor's Center Phaser Remix - Coele... is long ol' medley. It has some pretty nice parts, but of course it cannot keep this up the whole way through and there are a number of points where it just drags. Visitor has a nice groove down, but I don't think that it's enough to beat the good parts of Coele. Ah well.
Star Ocean 3 - Motoi Sakuraba Live Concert Star Ocean & Valkyrie Profile - Highbrow VS. Duck Tales - OCRemix - Harden the Duck Up! - More overpowered backing for Highbrow. Harden is much more pleasant.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 03:19:01 PM »
Trisection
Gothic Neclord

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 11:13:11 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Total Distortion - You Are Dead VS. Hoshigami - Tower of Wind - HOSHIGAMIRDED

ANIME

ARRANGED

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 02:05:28 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 - Brother in Faith VS. Legend of Mana - City of Flickering Destruction - Brother in Faith starts out promising, but it can't keep up the momentum. Legend of Mana music is Legend of Mana music and is therefore awesome.
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Xion VS. MapleStory - The Dangerous Cave - Xion is nice and relaxing, but Dangerous Cave has more personality.
Guilty Gear XX - Awe of She VS. Growlanser Generations - Zion’s Battle - Takes a while to get going, but once it does, it's pretty good.
Total Distortion - You Are Dead VS. Hoshigami - Tower of Wind - *picard*

Bionic Commando: Rearmed - Leap of Faith VS. Tales of Vesperia - A Vow of Unity - You people hate everything. I don't know why I even allow myself to be surprised by it anymore.
Atelier Iris 3 - Rain of Blossoms VS. Shadow Hearts - Much Hatred Still Rankles - Ooooh, Rain of Blossoms was a pleasant surprise. I like it.

ANIME
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Follow Me VS. Ouran High School Host Club - Tango Brilliante for Orchestra - Odd. Ghost in the Shell has some pretty good music, but I wasn't too enthralled by either track here.

ARRANGED
Actraiser - by Prince of Darkness/Guitar Bizarre/Chris Feener - A Coele Usque Ad Centrum VS. Jurassic Park - DarthWeather - Visitor's Center Phaser Remix - I'm usually not a big fan of the "smoosh several remixes together into one big track" formula, but A Coele Usque was actually pretty good.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 03:29:31 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

Wild ARMs Alter Code: F - Footsteps VS. Final Fantasy Tactics - Trisection - one of my faves from a game with very, very good music.  ACF song's nice, too.
Bionic Commando: Rearmed - Leap of Faith VS. Tales of Vesperia - A Vow of Unity - eh.
Chrono Cross - Radical Dreamer ~ Unstolen Jewel VS. Suikoden 2 - Gothic Neclord - not a huge fan of this, but it wins out here.

ANIME
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Follow Me VS. Ouran High School Host Club - Tango Brilliante for Orchestra - Turns out Ghost in the Shell has good music.  Now if only they'd make a third season...

ARRANGED
Actraiser - by Prince of Darkness/Guitar Bizarre/Chris Feener - A Coele Usque Ad Centrum VS. Jurassic Park - DarthWeather - Visitor's Center Phaser Remix - too long, but the other one is kinda dull.
Star Ocean 3 - Motoi Sakuraba Live Concert Star Ocean & Valkyrie Profile - Highbrow VS. Duck Tales - OCRemix - Harden the Duck Up! - both kinda...dull and too long.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Taishyr

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 05:49:19 PM »
workin' on it

MAIN TOURNAMENT
Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 - Brother in Faith VS. Legend of Mana - City of Flickering Destruction - meh
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Xion VS. MapleStory - The Dangerous Cave - shrooooom
Total Distortion - You Are Dead VS. Hoshigami - Tower of Wind - what is this i don't even

Wild ARMs Alter Code: F - Footsteps
VS. Final Fantasy Tactics - Trisection - christ, uh, Iunno, hatbot sez 1. Trisection is probably my least favorite FFT song, honestly, which means it's good but not stellar. No objections to whichever winning.
Bionic Commando: Rearmed - Leap of Faith VS. Tales of Vesperia - A Vow of Unity - Ooof. Another hard match, but in this case the tiebreak goes to the less harsh techno.
Atelier Iris 3 - Rain of Blossoms VS. Shadow Hearts - Much Hatred Still Rankles - Bleh to the SH piece. :/
Chrono Cross - Radical Dreamer ~ Unstolen Jewel VS. Suikoden 2 - Gothic Neclord - ...mmm. Gothic Neclord is one of those songs that I probably should like a lot more than I do. But I don't. And I can't really give you a good why other than "it feels like a sandwich".

ANIME
Ghost in the Shell - Laser Seeker VS. Madlax - Margaret - Charming.
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Follow Me VS. Ouran High School Host Club - Tango Brilliante for Orchestra - While I don't know if I'll be voting for Follow Me I have to thank whoever nommed it, it's a very goddamn nice mellow song. And... mmmm... yeah, it wins the vote, Tango Brilliante isn't selling me.

ARRANGED
Actraiser - by Prince of Darkness/Guitar Bizarre/Chris Feener - A Coele Usque Ad Centrum VS. Jurassic Park - DarthWeather - Visitor's Center Phaser Remix - Dissonance fails to win points on average with me.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:17:59 PM by Taitoro »

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 10:23:29 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 - Brother in Faith VS. Legend of Mana - City of Flickering Destruction - There's pretty and then there's boring.  City is the latter. 
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Xion VS. MapleStory - The Dangerous Cave - See above.
Total Distortion - You Are Dead VS. Hoshigami - Tower of Wind - Hmm.  Maybe I'm just not in the mood for slow songs today.

Bionic Commando: Rearmed - Leap of Faith VS. Tales of Vesperia - A Vow of Unity - What the fuck did they DO to that song?  When the remix is this much worse than an 8-bit song was I can't vote for it.
Chrono Cross - Radical Dreamer ~ Unstolen Jewel VS. Suikoden 2 - Gothic Neclord - Neclord is horribly overrated in my opinion.

ANIME

ARRANGED

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 02:01:50 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 - Brother in Faith VS. Legend of Mana - City of Flickering Destruction -  I like slow JAM too, City doesn't do much for me.
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Xion VS. MapleStory - The Dangerous Cave - Apathy, ahoy.
Guilty Gear XX - Awe of She VS. Growlanser Generations - Zion’s Battle - Decent GG track beats intro of boring + good part that's about as good as the GG track.
Total Distortion - You Are Dead VS. Hoshigami - Tower of Wind - At least it's funny. Loses next round, but hey.

Wild ARMs Alter Code: F - Footsteps VS. Final Fantasy Tactics - Trisection - Footsteps is nice, but Trisection gets my attention a lot more.
Bionic Commando: Rearmed - Leap of Faith VS. Tales of Vesperia - A Vow of Unity - I... guess? I really like what LoF was trying to do, but they went and chose some ugly synth for it.
Atelier Iris 3 - Rain of Blossoms VS. Shadow Hearts - Much Hatred Still Rankles - Snazzy. Rain has some good parts, but not enough of them were good enough.
Chrono Cross - Radical Dreamer ~ Unstolen Jewel VS. Suikoden 2 - Gothic Neclord - Oh hey, this week actually has a close match-up. Feeling Jewel today.

ANIME
Ghost in the Shell - Laser Seeker VS. Madlax - Margaret - GROOVE vs. meh vocals.
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence - Follow Me VS. Ouran High School Host Club - Tango Brilliante for Orchestra - Sure why not.

ARRANGED
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 02:00:30 AM »
Trisection.  Footsteps is a generic vocal that doesn't really go anywhere for most of the song, Trisection is a pretty good FFT piece meanwhile.

Gothic Neclord.  While worthless in game cause the boss it plays on dies in two turns, its a pretty darn good piece.  Radical Dreamers is, again, a generic vocal that doesn't go anywhere.  Pity too cause the melody has a lot of potential (I've heard some really good remixes...heck, its disappointing since CC has good renditions of that melody IN THE GAME ITSELF)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 05:29:09 AM »
Disclaimer: Because our time is so fucking important and we can't be bothered, if a song bores us, we skip to a new part and see if its still boring us. So if some random song has a totally excellent middle that reveals the secret of life and everything, I say too damn bad, the song should not have sucked for the other 7/8ths of itself. So sayeth the wise Andrew. If you want to get voted, make your stuff not suck on the whole.

Andrew: Both fail. I'd rather listen to a rusty can opener grating along to the greatest hits of the 70s.
Ashley: I guess I'd go with the second one. At least it has strings. The first one sounds like every other samurai adventure hero track ever produced.

Andrew: Reminds me infinitely more of tacos.
Ashley: I know which muzak I'd prefer. I'd totally ride the elevator more if The Dangerous Cave played in it.

Andrew: I was going to vote Awe of She, but then guitar riffs after I skipped halfway through this song. Suh-weet. Plus, 80s.
Ashley: *is playing Bejeweled. I'll let you guess how much she liked either song*

Andrew: Hoshigami is dead. Dead. It is very, very dead.
Ashley: *is still playing Bejewled, but had enough time to complain that Tower of Wind is boring.*

Andrew: Its on my iPod. I don't actually know WHY its on my iPod, so it is. In comparison, I deleted the FFT soundtrack from said iPod.
Ashley: To quote, "Because it does not sound like every other music in every other game ever."

Andrew: Leaps of Faith are often fatal. Vows of unity often end in sex. Do the math. Typically division, followed by multiplication, if you know what I mean. <3
Ashley: I like the beat in Leap of Faith. But I really like the piano in Vow of Unity. I think I'd go with the second one just because I'm a sucker for nifty piano pieces.

Andrew: This song rankled my hatred for uh... you know, frankly, I'm not that funny tonight. The discordance in Much Hatred Still Rankles was nifty, though.
Ashley: There was enough power and discordance in Much Hatred Still Rankles to keep my interest. The first piece was...  fine... I guess. Just unremarkable.

Andrew: I like my vocals. Huzzah. Also, Gothic Neclord vaguely annoys me for its popularity, although I dunno why, really.
Ashley: *had no opinion and hit me when I bugged her to answer*

ANIME
Andrew: RAWK LOBSTAH!
Ashley: The second one is more musically interesting, but my god, I just can't help but think "surfer Rock Lobster" for the first. Who can argue?

Andrew: RAWK LOBSTAH! I vote for that again.
Ashley: The both sound like they belong in a Broadway musical, ideally one in which many people die or have died. I think the second one wins for sounding like it belongs in Les Miserables (the Threnadiers), whereas the first sounds like part of Chicago.

ARRANGED
Andrew: Not ten fucking minutes long.
Ashley: I think if the visitors to Jurassic Park heard this version, they might have a better idea what their chances of leaving alive were. Ie, nil.

Andrew: RAWK LOBSTAH! Screw (to be more politically correct) that it's anime, I still vote for it here.
Ashley: To steal a line from Andrew, "Not eight minutes long." (Okay, so I paraphrased.)

Disclaimer: You people suck. Except the person who nommed You Are Dead. That song is the champ of this pool. And likely this contest. If there is any justice in this world. Also, Ashley agrees with me. Seriously.

Edit: Having reviewed the votes and looking at who voted for You Are Dead, I officially lost respect for about half the DL. Seriously. ;_;
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 05:33:04 AM by AndrewRogue »

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 05:47:57 AM »
It really makes the votes a lot easier to count if you copy&paste the track list he puts in the first pool and then bold your votes.  Even if you aren't voting on a match, you can just leave them both alone.  If you don't feel like doing that, please for the love of god at least put the entire matches you're voting on in your posts.  Honestly?  If Meeple's post had been in my tourney last year I probably wouldn't have counted it due to just not noticing there was any voting going on.