Register

Author Topic: Disquiet Battle Test 3 Rambling  (Read 8108 times)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Disquiet Battle Test 3 Rambling
« on: October 13, 2012, 07:30:23 AM »
Nama has finished some initial enemy design for us, which has provided us with some super rough gameplay. Still buggy and still sloppy, but hey, it is something.

Please use this space to ramble about it.

I will consider creating a demo version of it so other people can see it at rough levels, but it is super rough and quite buggy at this moment so...

[20:06] <@AndrewRogue> <Namagomi> Sloth/Unwanted/Verminous: Level 1, Tier 1 gear (knife/crossbow), Noemi+Kasia.  Corpulent: Level 2, otherwise as before
[20:06] <@AndrewRogue> <Namagomi> Raider/Thrasher/Smasher parties: Level 3, Tier 1 gear (knife/sword/staff/crossbow), Noemi+Kasia+Erastus.  Gang Leader fight: Level 4, otherwise as before.
[20:06] <@AndrewRogue> <Namagomi> Hired Asshole: Level 4, Tier 2 gear (Guardian Blade, Knife), Mirek+Eirwen
[20:06] <@AndrewRogue> <Namagomi> Ephemeral/Ambivalent/Repugnant/Enslaved parties: Level 4-6...I'd probably say Noemi+Erastus+Eirwen+Mirek.
[20:06] <@AndrewRogue> <Namagomi> Tier 2 gear (knife/sword/staff/g-blade/crossbow)
[20:06] <@AndrewRogue> <Namagomi> Legion fight: Level 6, optimal would be...Noemi+Kasia+Eirwen+Mirek
[20:06] <@AndrewRogue> <ARogue> (I assume you expect the correct tier armor as well?)
[20:06] <@AndrewRogue> <Namagomi> Yes
[20:06] <@AndrewRogue> <Namagomi> lobsterpeople/anglegger/Envious parties: Level 7, I'd argue anything with Noemi+Eirwen
[20:06] <@AndrewRogue> <Namagomi> Tier 3 gear
[20:06] <@AndrewRogue> [7:47:40 PM] Namagomi: <Namagomi> GIANT ENEMY BEE: Level 8, I...think Noemi/Kasia/Mirek/Bartol would be optimal here.  Tier 3 gear.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 06:18:01 AM by AndrewRogue »

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Disquiet Battle Test 1 Rambling
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 03:28:19 PM »
Still not messing with it yet since I'm on ordered 4-day break, but I'd rather refine things further first before releasing a demo for other people
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 10:19:56 PM »
Both are still open options.  This project isn't on crunch trying to ship before Christmas.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 05:54:53 PM »
Some initial thoughts based on tooling around with the boss battles.

The general feel of the battles is a generally nice "tipping point" sensation: everything is going well for a while, then suddenly the PC who needs a heal is Healblocked, or you've got two people in critical HP range, or the healer got nastily winged, etc. Then suddenly the battle starts to spiral downward and you realize that you've lost control and then splat.

Mirek and Kasia feel pretty meh as PCs at the moment.

Kasia's physical skills feel fairly unusable. as her healing is needed with enough frequency that it is very difficult to get enough Focus to actually use them. Even when they were usable, the effects were somewhat middling (pending Bleed fixes may improve this, Evade neutering isn't bad, just didn't jump out at me, and counter negation is currently awful). Prodigy may help out by lightening the healing load (Eirwen's heal/items are only good in the early rounds), but probably not that much.

Mirek is very, very slow and the effect he has on battle doesn't really counterbalance it enough. Fixing the Soul Skills (as well as his Focus gain) may help this. On the whole, though, he either needs to gain Focus use faster, have a more impressive normal physical (back to the old-IAQ single hit thing, maybe?), or something. NOTE: I did realize Test Battle was not applying his passive, which may make a difference. Need to check it.

Noemi I need to see what Prodigy is like on her.

BOSSES

Initial impressions off a couple of plays.

Corpulent: Seemed pretty straightforward and not bad.

Bandits: Need to play around with more. Doesn't seem too bad if you follow the correct strategy, but pretty brutal if you don't do it right. MT damage is nasty, straight up.

Jerkassassin: Too strong by half, near as I could tell. If Mirek and Eirwen don't dodge perfectly, this fight goes incredibly south.

Legion: Difficult to judge without Soul Skills working properly. Has wiped me every attempt so far. EDIT: Finally beat him. Needed to used fixed Bunker Soul (indefinite duration), but I managed to beat him. He is a mother fucker. Legion for Godlike.

Giant Enemy BEE: Whipping boy. Stagger utterly dominates him.

Randoms

Issues

Empower does not reduce VIT correctly.

Bunker Soul has a duration.

Essence Flare does not boost MDEF per new DEF/MDEF boost values (166%).

Damage display counter in the upper right only notes multi-hit attacks.

Display of damage numbers/status is bad in general.

Analyze is non-functional (pending my fix)

Prodigy is non-existant (pending Nama fix)

Multi-cost skills do not consume multiple costs as necessary.

Buffs very quickly run out of display room on portrait.

Buff/Debuff duration does not refresh correctly (fixed in NEB's latest build, I believe?)

MDef does not show on the in-battle status page.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 04:00:26 AM by AndrewRogue »

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 10:57:03 AM »
Important note for all attempting to test in-game:

To remove a party member from the initial party, select them as if you would select party change, before moving the cursor down past the other members to an empty space.  This will remove the offending person from the party, and allow you to test fights that are built for a party smaller than four
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 09:36:53 AM »

All of this with a grain of salt, I am not 100% on all  the design points obviously because I am not balls deep.  I am sounding board guy.  I am like your mother that way except I am way less good in bed.  Also this is stream of consciousness so take that as you will.  Not necessarily in order of thought, I have tried to group relevant things, but it is going to be all over the shop.

First zone fight impressions

Low hit moves are overly punished.  Evade just makes them painful.  They have a decent hit rate still, but mutlihit moves absorb the RNG so much better.  This really stands out on Spark Cluster which is already RNG.

Also feel it very hard with Kasia.  I really really don't like the Focus system as it sits with Kasia now.  Especially frustrating when I am trying to test it to form an opinion and enemies in Thug Hideout got 2 evades and then a miss (Because they blind as well lol).  Throw on a sword and even with 2 hits if she at least connects once she isn't punished nearly as much.

Rando targetting on Sleeping (Crescendo) is unreliable three enemies and one enemy gets targetted twice.

Is MP restoring to full with each fight?  It feels entirely meaningless in this context with how quick these fights are.  Might scale differently with higher level skills.  Pretty ambivalent to it in general.  The scale is high, the costs are high.  The impact on all of it in the test is pretty close to nothing.  If they regen to full I don't see much use for basic physicals?  outside of trying to build FP on Kasia (which is turns spent not defensive buffing).

Speaking of, without eyeballing numbers, Flare Shot feels entirely inferior to Fireball for Erastus in almost every situation he will encounter in randoms.  He also feels punishingly slow at these levels (stuff target him, he will explode.  Probably one shot if they have Amplification)

BANDAGES DO NOTHING.

Blasting Spread and Searing have no description.

Thug Hideout Boss

Trying to do the Thug Hideout boss underlevelled (3) feels near impossible to keep up with the damage output.  Sleep the 2 Raiders and then try to burst down the Second in Command, Erastus is too slow to get more than a turn before the damage output from the two guys left in the fight overwhelms your limited healing.  Elfboy could do it with Kasia solo, but mere mortals like myself are shit out of luck.  Guess I can try sleeping the Leader, but the MT on the Second in Command is significant and I don't think you can keep up with mitigating it.  Will try again level appropriate.  This is also a point that really highlights how terrible FP is for Kasia.  She sits on 0 for the whole fight and it is going to stay that way.  Also that much burst makes opening salvos RNG as fuck.  You don't have Second in Command damage incoming at least, but he has initiative and goes right after Erastus at these levels.  You don't have much of a chance to reduce damage, if they burst down someone you are pretty fucked. 

Case in point when I just went sleep the leader, missed, 2 Flare Shots on Noemi and she is on 57 Health, the Leader missed Erastus with a 2 swing attack.  I get 1 Erastus turn where he can do nothing and Kasia heals gets you Healblocked and a repeat focussed offensive (after Second in Command does his high damage MT) is a wipe.

I will poke it a bit more and see if anything else interesting falls out then try again at level appropriate.

Second in Command resists lightning and Lightning's whole thing was that it is high power and helps deal with high MDef?  So far the times that Spark Cluster has been worth casting = 0

Looks like RNG evade and absolute bullshit luck with Sleep can get you a win though.  lol enemies can evade spells when sleeping.

Thug Hideout randoms

FP gain really really needs to be on action taken, not on hit if at all possible.  That fixes a huge part of the RNG on Kasia and makes missed status (see sleep above) less punishing.

Level gain rates are pretty decent, but I worry about level balance with more characters.  Current implementation has out of party people not getting experience (not intended I would think with this team?).  Regardless of implementation episodic release lets you set basic level cutoffs anyway, so largely level scale balance is in your hands rather than the players.

Thug Hideout Boss 2.0

Now actually eyeballing the numbers, Flareshot is better than some spells in Erastus skill list in a few situations.  Specifically when you need to kill shit and then it is better than his FP skills.  Those are terrible in Chapter 1 other than for say cutting down on some physical damage.  In randoms by the time he can use them you may as well just kill everything with Fireball.

Level 4 means dick on the boss in Thug Hideout if you get Second in Command doing 2 MT in a row.  Kasia died.  That is game.  I should have gone for a second sleep on a raider instead of Flareshot on Second in Command to try and get more FP for MT Sleep bullshit again.  Relying on it and still don't like the rando target (because I am relying on it).  Not sure if Gang Leader resists sleep or I have been unlucky with RNG, but he needs to not if the strategy relies on him being sleeped.  If he is up after the first turn then your chances of a winnable scenario drop significantly.

Gods fuck, you can sleep the Second in Command?  Thanks rando sleep for teaching me that.  Now the hit rate needs to be not shit either.  That or you thorw more random chance to the pile wheeeee!

Since I am using it so much, I haven't noticed a sleep timer tick down?  Do I put these guys in to comas forever?  Sleeping them has the downside of making their magic barrier last forever.

Miss first sleep on Leader, hit second sleep on Second in Command.  Watch Erastus get focus fired down!  No one's ever gonna keep you down!  Unless you get attacked by 3 dudes in a row that all about 2HKO you.  Otherwise you are the best around.

Waiting to wipe after someone goes down early in a fight is pretty boring.

High evade enemies with high speed are terrible to fight with.  See rant about Kasia and FP and multi hit and RNG again.

At this rate I had more success at level 3 than 4.  If there is an approach to this fight that isn't rolling dice on the one status move I have over and over again I would love to hear it because my load out is Coma spell, Damage, Healing or Damage With More Damage And Status Effects That You Won't Get To Cast Because It Takes FP You Better Off Leaving As Regen But You Are Probably Dead.

Gang leader attack that causes bleed gets multiple swings on Erastus.  Fucking lol.  Pray for evade or die in one hit.

If fights go like this, every single time we have discussed overly punishing mechanics like enemies with high defense or evasion and that it is okay because you can switch the party on the fly in combat or swap gear?  Yeah no.  Not happening.  You will be too busy picking your teeth up off the ground to get into a position to keep trial and erroring your way through the fight.  Eat the reset and try again bro.

I give up, I am not beating this fight again.  I want to test something else.  So beta is beta, but yeah damage output as is, even if you sleep the two Raiders, leaves you with 2 enemies that are both fully capable of bursting down a character in one turn and leaving you in an unwinnable position is my take on the fight.

Mirek and Eirwen intro

Healing value on First Aid is terrible.  This makes the 2 man boss very
Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive and Dodge.

Couple that with the dexterity on the Assassin?  This is the first fight you have these two for?  The answer is No.  This fight needs to be nerfed into the ground.  Beta is beta and in spite of my harping on the last fight I tend to take testing balance with a huge grain of salt obviously.  This one is No.  Halve the damage you take at least.  Into. the. ground.  Prepared Mirek physical 4HKOs the guy.  He 3HKOs Mirek and comes with support.  No.

Did I mention that the support has status?  One of them is Stun.  The other is Def Down.  This makes for a 2HKO.

It is so No that Brad Pitt says it 5 times.  I trust Brad Pitt on boss design choices.

In other news.  Eirwen's focus skills also are not good.  Although she builds up stuff for them easilly enough, the only one worth using costs 2 turns to do.  Speed Fang is not a good investment in the current fight dynamic.  It takes the same number of turns to build up to as Vulcan Chain to do less damage than a basic attack.  The added benefit?  It is fast so you can do another attack and do another weak attack.  With some tweaking it could maybe be a long term battle net benefit in damage, but currently fights are far too short for it to be worth it. 

I had hopes for Bloodletting.  It turned a 3HKO on one of the Legbreakers in this fight into a 3HKO after the bleed damage because poison can't kill.  This move is terrible for this fight, but a little bit less than Speed Fang because it is kind of free every second turn (other than costing you her only good focus move).

Beat the fight two times now.  Both involved significant amount of evade.

I have found a handy map to show where this fight needs to go.

Sebrle Plantation

So on to the next area.  Fights where I spend half the time without control of my character are not enjoyable.  Even less so by having the guy that I described as punishingly slow in the earlier part get hit with confuse or Stun.  He gets maybe 2 turns in a fight as is, losing them just makes him worse than dead weight.

Also Confuse is great man.  I totally dig having access to a status that did about as much damage as my normal attacks to the enemy and CCed them at the same time.  You mean I am the guys on the right, not the left?  They seem to be under AI control though, so I thought I was the monsters.

Two sets of randoms when I set myself on the top of the expected levels of the area with the expected tier of gear.  Not interested in testing more.  Just nothing enjoyable about the fights here.

Legion

So yeah Legion.  I get it, Erastus is bad and I should feel bad.  Benching him next fight.  In other news, just as I expected the focus loss on his defend command is pointlessly punishing.  He is in absolutely no danger of heal tanking anything.  If anything it needs to give him free focus, because like I said, Focus is doing nothing for him currently.

Oh hey a use for Spark Cluster Fuck though.  As long as it hits (lol nice Crescendo bro *Evade*).

Another fight where MT is crazy brutal.  Bonus points for attached status.  I hope he is scripted to never Magnify -> Putrefaction because MT OHKO damage is pretty win when it happens at random but a crazy oversight to let slip through scripting.

I straight up went to look at spell stats on stuff with Absorption hit Eirwin for 100 and she evaded 2.  WTFed face at OHKO drain.  the one hit was a crit.  Even with that in mind that is way too strong.

I am on the fence about Essence Flare.  In a game with this high damage and Heal Block, a tank is pretty shitty.  Mirek gets more mileage out of Soul Bunker instead.  I am not convinced this isn't going to be pretty much universal. 

In an unsurprising analysis, Mirek is too slow and his Focus is not in a good place.  Not because his skills are bad, because he is so slow he never gets turns so never gets FP so never can use them.  Still better than Erastus on this fight because he doesn't explode because there was anything remotely close to him being looked at, getting completely resisted and only bringing stat downs that have no impact on the enemy is pretty terrible.  I get this is aligns to plot but wooowwwww does Erastus suck here.

Buffs need to either add to duration or at least reset duration.  Losing an Empower (Crescendo) because Eirwin already had the status effect bites the bag.

That said with how those interact, at least when the stat buff symbol shows up with 0 turns left on it you can at least reapply them.  Confusing bit of interfacing there.

So my buffs wore out and Legion isn't even at half health.  Mirek doesn't have the MP to cast shit again.  So I was going to bitch out how bad that is but Andy's comments got that covered off.  No duration on Soul Bunker would make the fight less taxing.

HOLY FUCK  Because this fight lasts so long I actually got to use one of Kasia's Focus skills!  Arterial shot causes bleed.  See statements about how shit that was on Eirwin.  Barbed shot, does this guy even have counters?  Okay.  So I guess I give him 3 turns of evade down.  Oh wait sorry, she had to spend a turn healing and that costs FP.  Focus back to being worthless for Kasia.

Mirek finally got FP saved up to use one of his skills.  I used Prepare before hand.  It did just shy of 400 damage.  It is about 4x his normal damage (Which I am assuming is a Prepped basic attack).  This comes at the cost of 60% speed for the loss of FP on his passive.  For those of you keeping at home, I find FP on one more character highly questionable in its value. 

Haha while fishing for the numbers on Preped physical I got hit with Magnified MT attack.  It didn't quite OHKO but it really fucks your shit up.  Of course I got some evades...

I will give the fight this though, for all the bullshit it can throw at you, it was the first one that I was able to beat first try with some effort and a touch of luck.  Which in comparison to RNG it 8 times for a win previously, that is an improvement .

Sea Battle

So to finish it off because it is late, I jumped to level 8 and grabbed all tier 3 gear then saw the boss fight so jumped directly to that, fuck randoms.

THIS IS NOT WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR WHEN I SELECTED GIANT ENEMY CRAB.

He can crit for 400 damage.  With Strength Down from Staggering Strike (Not the Stagger).  Against Mirek for reference.

I think that is a bit questionable myself.

I don't know if Negation is limit only, but it sure as shit should be.  I saw it just before he died and it caught me completely off guard.  It was okay because Bartol OHKOed it afterwards.

Speak of.  His Focus skill would suck if it wasn't functionally free.  I don't think Staggering strike is supposed to give Str Down?  I dunno, it does and I am fine with this.

I do have to say MT damage is done right with Giant Enemy Crab.  Generally so far MT has been as strong or nearly as strong as ST damage and this is excessive given your highly limited expected outgoing healing in the game.  You only have so much outgoing HP per turn and it is not ever going to keep up with 2HKO MT damage that we see in test.  In my general opinion that much MT is way over the top.

Cut that shit out.

What you have done right is still have MT, but it is supplemental to a normal focused damage attack.  It is still too strong of course, but it is the right direction.  That is without mentioning that you gave him 2 other strong MT attacks, so the idea has is hardly completely realised, but it is a start.  Blasting Blow should be your basic form of MT in this design.  I definitely think there is room for a fight or some fights with more traditional full MT damage, but that shouldn't 2 moves every boss has.

Final Thoughts

Okay.  There is a few things we really need to take on board with this.  It is beta, so balance is a thing.  Not all of the things I have said or complained about with regards to balance will make sense if things are balanced in other directions.

So lets start with the good things first.  Heal block is freaking great.  It does exactly what we wanted it to.  It makes healing a meaningful choice and keeps things interesting.  There needs to be some more supplemental healing to work with though.  I am not sure if this goes to a weak heal that doesn't apply the block or buffing Regen up a bit, but in the demo there is scenarios where you are gambling when you heal early because someone has taken 1/3 damage but enemies are fully capable of bursting down 2/3 of your health before you get a turn again, let alone before you can even heal again.  I suspect the problem will be alleviated with damage paradigm being cut drastically, but I still suspect we are going to be facing problems.  There was consistently points where some of the RNG nature of fights could have been reduced with some kind of triage heal.  Something to just get by on between big heal block inducing heals.  This could be piss weak items (Things about as strong as Eirwin's First Aid now as a general item with a Regen with more kick to it would do the job quite well I think) or it could be expanding other party member's skillsets.

MP and the state it is in and the intended state

Now lets talk about something I haven't ranted about at notepad all night.  MP at the moment is complete and total trash mechanic.  It feels like a holdover from RPGs and we are just doing it because it is what you do.  It is regenning after every fight and we are seeing it being necessary every fight.  There was one fight that taxed MP supplies by itself and that was Legion. 

Mirek is always having MP issues, that is cool. 

Noemi on the other hand was running on fumes at the end of the fight for me.  Noemi without MP is pretty terrible.  I am not sure if it is optimal if she spams Analyse for FP or if she should be spamming basic physicals (which do give her 15 FP a turn).  Then she can use Crescendo skills every few turns.  She gets out of running out of MP the best. 

For everyone else MP as it stands is horrible. 

Erastus has a MP pool that is big enough to soak most of what you cast.  Once he is spent, complete and total dead weight.  As is he was already pretty close to this.  Erastus fucking blows.

On the other side of the coin though we have Kasia, this is now going to turn into a rant about her rather than MP, but MP is part of it.  Kasia gives no fucks about MP and it sure as shit isn't because she has a defend command that regens MP.  I have already talked about how bad a state her things other than casting spells is.  You basic physical out of basic need to do anything at all.  At the end of Legion she had 200 MP left, hadn't used a FP based skill at all and had only used one move from her skillset.  Kasia has absolutely nothing going for her other than Recover and that one skill is mandatory.  This is a good thing because it is probably the best mechanic we have going in to this.  The rest of the skillset?  Completely worthless.  She is a warm body that can heal on command.  She is less useful as a character in battle than Marco from Radiant Historia and Marco is noted for being so good because anyone else can take his turn instead of him.

If you get rid of MP regenning each fight you are left with a terribly broken game.  The MP scales start off big and the costs are high.  Fights have way too much incoming damage to lean on basic physicals with people and some are straight up worthless at them (Erastus).  You either need a strong MP Regen mechanic or dungeons are going to be grindy and bad.  You need those MP for the boss fights.  You need those MP pools to get through the fights.  You probably have enough of a pool to get through 6 or so sets of randoms.  That isn't enough to make the jump in levels we have posted for Sebrle Plantation.  This will not go well.  Making people play more effeciently guts your skillsets and guts the fun of the combat.

I don't have a good suggestion here than to completely scrap MP entirely.  In chapter 1 you mostly have damage parity on skills anyway, there is very little that the trade off is high MP cost for big benefit.  The moves that are not useful don't see a lack of use because of their MP cost (FP cost certainly does).  I can't tell which system needs more work.

Focus

Focus isn't working at all.  Mechanically (outside of miss = 0 FP) it is working, but it is not even close to doing what we want it to.  We have Wild Arms basic system and we are doing it worse than every single WA game.  Including the first one.  It is good for two characters in total, Noemi and Eirwin and those two because hey free damage is cool!  Or a free resk free damage buff.  I think NEB might kill me for suggesting it, but if you want these to be worth doing you need to either change the FP gain system, definitely want to untie it from anyone's passive (Like Mirek) and most importantly you want to be able to USE the skills before the fight is pretty much over.

Character balance

Slow characters suck worse than a clogged drain.  Mirek and Erastus are both terrible.  I don't hold Andy's optimism in bugfixes saving Mirek.  He will be mandatory in some fights and otherwise is spot on for Fourth Character Slot that you cycle through whoever happens to be mandatory for the current puzzle or whoever has best damage that is left.

Fight balance

Fights are massively overtuned nearly universally.  The combat is entirely rocket tag at the moment.  Heal Block honestly works better the longer a fight goes on.  If your fight is over in 3 turns then you either were taking insurmountable damage or the blocking to your healing is meaningless.  In the current state of combat everything is incredibly volatile.  Big damage incoming, evasion is make or break, status hit rates on turn 1 force hit rates.  Stuff like that.  Slow down damage on both sides and you will see a much more decisive combat flow.  I am not saying we need to make Xenosaga 2 or anything but I am most definitely saying you do not want to make Saga or Zeboyd games.  There is room for the HP/MP regen of those games with more prolonged combat.

I will be frank, this is much tidier than the feedback I had written last night.  You don't have the Authentic Grefter Playtester experience here, but I hope it is constructive.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 07:03:05 PM »
Full response will take some time, so doing this in chunks.

Low hit moves are overly punished.  Evade just makes them painful.  They have a decent hit rate still, but mutlihit moves absorb the RNG so much better.  This really stands out on Spark Cluster which is already RNG.

Agreed largely. Like I thought, missing just straight up feels annoying more than anything. It isn't bad with multi-hit attacks where the misses are soaked, but one-hit attacks really need high accuracy.

Also feel it very hard with Kasia.  I really really don't like the Focus system as it sits with Kasia now.  Especially frustrating when I am trying to test it to form an opinion and enemies in Thug Hideout got 2 evades and then a miss (Because they blind as well lol).  Throw on a sword and even with 2 hits if she at least connects once she isn't punished nearly as much.

Will address later down.

Rando targetting on Sleeping (Crescendo) is unreliable three enemies and one enemy gets targetted twice.

I believe there was intent for it to be unable to target an already sleeping enemy? But yeah, it is a bit frustrating when you don't hit what you want, given the relative cost of the skill (Focus/Time). I think full target might be preferable.

Is MP restoring to full with each fight?  It feels entirely meaningless in this context with how quick these fights are.  Might scale differently with higher level skills.  Pretty ambivalent to it in general.  The scale is high, the costs are high.  The impact on all of it in the test is pretty close to nothing.  If they regen to full I don't see much use for basic physicals?  outside of trying to build FP on Kasia (which is turns spent not defensive buffing).

Speaking of, without eyeballing numbers, Flare Shot feels entirely inferior to Fireball for Erastus in almost every situation he will encounter in randoms.  He also feels punishingly slow at these levels (stuff target him, he will explode.  Probably one shot if they have Amplification).

Currently MP is not supposed to restore between rando-encounters. I made an error in making fights heal MP for expediency. The general idea was MP is not restored in dungeon except for rest points. But yeah, in individual fights, pretty much no one is running out of MP (Bartol and Mirek notwithstanding at the moment).

Will address PC speed at the end.

BANDAGES DO NOTHING.

We were still debating how to handle healing items at the time (general thoughts were weaker version of First Aid, basically).

Blasting Spread and Searing have no description.

Duly noted.

Thug Hideout Boss

Trying to do the Thug Hideout boss underlevelled (3) feels near impossible to keep up with the damage output.  Sleep the 2 Raiders and then try to burst down the Second in Command, Erastus is too slow to get more than a turn before the damage output from the two guys left in the fight overwhelms your limited healing.  Elfboy could do it with Kasia solo, but mere mortals like myself are shit out of luck.  Guess I can try sleeping the Leader, but the MT on the Second in Command is significant and I don't think you can keep up with mitigating it.  Will try again level appropriate.  This is also a point that really highlights how terrible FP is for Kasia.  She sits on 0 for the whole fight and it is going to stay that way.  Also that much burst makes opening salvos RNG as fuck.  You don't have Second in Command damage incoming at least, but he has initiative and goes right after Erastus at these levels.  You don't have much of a chance to reduce damage, if they burst down someone you are pretty fucked. 

Case in point when I just went sleep the leader, missed, 2 Flare Shots on Noemi and she is on 57 Health, the Leader missed Erastus with a 2 swing attack.  I get 1 Erastus turn where he can do nothing and Kasia heals gets you Healblocked and a repeat focussed offensive (after Second in Command does his high damage MT) is a wipe.

I will poke it a bit more and see if anything else interesting falls out then try again at level appropriate.

Second in Command resists lightning and Lightning's whole thing was that it is high power and helps deal with high MDef?  So far the times that Spark Cluster has been worth casting = 0

Looks like RNG evade and absolute bullshit luck with Sleep can get you a win though.  lol enemies can evade spells when sleeping.

To address the easier points.

1. Spark Cluster was probably not intended to be available at this point.
2. Sleep should be nulling evade, so that needs to be fixed.
3. Will touch on Kasia further down.

Anyhow, so far as the fight goes, I actually think I trend towards agreeing here (moreso then just the fight). The second in command and leader are actually not a bad fight by themselves. If you can't neutralize the sidekicks quickly, you lose, flat out. I've cleared this fight a couple of time, but it has largely come down not getting hit with MT damage from the second in command and Erastus not getting targeted.

On the whole, I do think damage is tuned way too high at the moment, with boss fights being capable of going very wrong with little warning in advance due to high-ish 2HKO damage that is only checking vs evade for chances to survive. Not bad evade, mind, but it is pushing it less into the "I cleverly outwitted this fight" and more in the "Yey RNG gods!" territory then I'd like..

FP gain really really needs to be on action taken, not on hit if at all possible.  That fixes a huge part of the RNG on Kasia and makes missed status (see sleep above) less punishing.

Definitely an intended fix.

Level gain rates are pretty decent, but I worry about level balance with more characters.  Current implementation has out of party people not getting experience (not intended I would think with this team?).  Regardless of implementation episodic release lets you set basic level cutoffs anyway, so largely level scale balance is in your hands rather than the players.

Current exp gain is incorrect. All PCs will gain full exp after a future fix.

Now actually eyeballing the numbers, Flareshot is better than some spells in Erastus skill list in a few situations.  Specifically when you need to kill shit and then it is better than his FP skills.  Those are terrible in Chapter 1 other than for say cutting down on some physical damage.  In randoms by the time he can use them you may as well just kill everything with Fireball.

Level 4 means dick on the boss in Thug Hideout if you get Second in Command doing 2 MT in a row.  Kasia died.  That is game.  I should have gone for a second sleep on a raider instead of Flareshot on Second in Command to try and get more FP for MT Sleep bullshit again.  Relying on it and still don't like the rando target (because I am relying on it).  Not sure if Gang Leader resists sleep or I have been unlucky with RNG, but he needs to not if the strategy relies on him being sleeped.  If he is up after the first turn then your chances of a winnable scenario drop significantly.

Gods fuck, you can sleep the Second in Command?  Thanks rando sleep for teaching me that.  Now the hit rate needs to be not shit either.  That or you thorw more random chance to the pile wheeeee!

Since I am using it so much, I haven't noticed a sleep timer tick down?  Do I put these guys in to comas forever?  Sleeping them has the downside of making their magic barrier last forever.

Bug we're aware of. Since we tied status to turns, stun and sleep aren't dropping off since they prevent turns.

Miss first sleep on Leader, hit second sleep on Second in Command.  Watch Erastus get focus fired down!  No one's ever gonna keep you down!  Unless you get attacked by 3 dudes in a row that all about 2HKO you.  Otherwise you are the best around.

Waiting to wipe after someone goes down early in a fight is pretty boring.

High evade enemies with high speed are terrible to fight with.  See rant about Kasia and FP and multi hit and RNG again.

At this rate I had more success at level 3 than 4.  If there is an approach to this fight that isn't rolling dice on the one status move I have over and over again I would love to hear it because my load out is Coma spell, Damage, Healing or Damage With More Damage And Status Effects That You Won't Get To Cast Because It Takes FP You Better Off Leaving As Regen But You Are Probably Dead.

Gang leader attack that causes bleed gets multiple swings on Erastus.  Fucking lol.  Pray for evade or die in one hit.

If fights go like this, every single time we have discussed overly punishing mechanics like enemies with high defense or evasion and that it is okay because you can switch the party on the fly in combat or swap gear?  Yeah no.  Not happening.  You will be too busy picking your teeth up off the ground to get into a position to keep trial and erroring your way through the fight.  Eat the reset and try again bro.

I give up, I am not beating this fight again.  I want to test something else.  So beta is beta, but yeah damage output as is, even if you sleep the two Raiders, leaves you with 2 enemies that are both fully capable of bursting down a character in one turn and leaving you in an unwinnable position is my take on the fight.

Healing value on First Aid is terrible.  This makes the 2 man boss very
Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive and Dodge.

Couple that with the dexterity on the Assassin?  This is the first fight you have these two for?  The answer is No.  This fight needs to be nerfed into the ground.  Beta is beta and in spite of my harping on the last fight I tend to take testing balance with a huge grain of salt obviously.  This one is No.  Halve the damage you take at least.  Into. the. ground.  Prepared Mirek physical 4HKOs the guy.  He 3HKOs Mirek and comes with support.  No.

Did I mention that the support has status?  One of them is Stun.  The other is Def Down.  This makes for a 2HKO.

It is so No that Brad Pitt says it 5 times.  I trust Brad Pitt on boss design choices.

In other news.  Eirwen's focus skills also are not good.  Although she builds up stuff for them easilly enough, the only one worth using costs 2 turns to do.  Speed Fang is not a good investment in the current fight dynamic.  It takes the same number of turns to build up to as Vulcan Chain to do less damage than a basic attack.  The added benefit?  It is fast so you can do another attack and do another weak attack.  With some tweaking it could maybe be a long term battle net benefit in damage, but currently fights are far too short for it to be worth it. 

I had hopes for Bloodletting.  It turned a 3HKO on one of the Legbreakers in this fight into a 3HKO after the bleed damage because poison can't kill.  This move is terrible for this fight, but a little bit less than Speed Fang because it is kind of free every second turn (other than costing you her only good focus move).

Beat the fight two times now.  Both involved significant amount of evade.

I have found a handy map to show where this fight needs to go.

Sebrle Plantation

So on to the next area.  Fights where I spend half the time without control of my character are not enjoyable.  Even less so by having the guy that I described as punishingly slow in the earlier part get hit with confuse or Stun.  He gets maybe 2 turns in a fight as is, losing them just makes him worse than dead weight.

Also Confuse is great man.  I totally dig having access to a status that did about as much damage as my normal attacks to the enemy and CCed them at the same time.  You mean I am the guys on the right, not the left?  They seem to be under AI control though, so I thought I was the monsters.

Two sets of randoms when I set myself on the top of the expected levels of the area with the expected tier of gear.  Not interested in testing more.  Just nothing enjoyable about the fights here.

Legion

So yeah Legion.  I get it, Erastus is bad and I should feel bad.  Benching him next fight.  In other news, just as I expected the focus loss on his defend command is pointlessly punishing.  He is in absolutely no danger of heal tanking anything.  If anything it needs to give him free focus, because like I said, Focus is doing nothing for him currently.

Oh hey a use for Spark Cluster Fuck though.  As long as it hits (lol nice Crescendo bro *Evade*).

Another fight where MT is crazy brutal.  Bonus points for attached status.  I hope he is scripted to never Magnify -> Putrefaction because MT OHKO damage is pretty win when it happens at random but a crazy oversight to let slip through scripting.

I straight up went to look at spell stats on stuff with Absorption hit Eirwin for 100 and she evaded 2.  WTFed face at OHKO drain.  the one hit was a crit.  Even with that in mind that is way too strong.

I am on the fence about Essence Flare.  In a game with this high damage and Heal Block, a tank is pretty shitty.  Mirek gets more mileage out of Soul Bunker instead.  I am not convinced this isn't going to be pretty much universal. 

In an unsurprising analysis, Mirek is too slow and his Focus is not in a good place.  Not because his skills are bad, because he is so slow he never gets turns so never gets FP so never can use them.  Still better than Erastus on this fight because he doesn't explode because there was anything remotely close to him being looked at, getting completely resisted and only bringing stat downs that have no impact on the enemy is pretty terrible.  I get this is aligns to plot but wooowwwww does Erastus suck here.

Buffs need to either add to duration or at least reset duration.  Losing an Empower (Crescendo) because Eirwin already had the status effect bites the bag.

That said with how those interact, at least when the stat buff symbol shows up with 0 turns left on it you can at least reapply them.  Confusing bit of interfacing there.

So my buffs wore out and Legion isn't even at half health.  Mirek doesn't have the MP to cast shit again.  So I was going to bitch out how bad that is but Andy's comments got that covered off.  No duration on Soul Bunker would make the fight less taxing.

HOLY FUCK  Because this fight lasts so long I actually got to use one of Kasia's Focus skills!  Arterial shot causes bleed.  See statements about how shit that was on Eirwin.  Barbed shot, does this guy even have counters?  Okay.  So I guess I give him 3 turns of evade down.  Oh wait sorry, she had to spend a turn healing and that costs FP.  Focus back to being worthless for Kasia.

Mirek finally got FP saved up to use one of his skills.  I used Prepare before hand.  It did just shy of 400 damage.  It is about 4x his normal damage (Which I am assuming is a Prepped basic attack).  This comes at the cost of 60% speed for the loss of FP on his passive.  For those of you keeping at home, I find FP on one more character highly questionable in its value. 

Haha while fishing for the numbers on Preped physical I got hit with Magnified MT attack.  It didn't quite OHKO but it really fucks your shit up.  Of course I got some evades...

I will give the fight this though, for all the bullshit it can throw at you, it was the first one that I was able to beat first try with some effort and a touch of luck.  Which in comparison to RNG it 8 times for a win previously, that is an improvement .

Sea Battle

So to finish it off because it is late, I jumped to level 8 and grabbed all tier 3 gear then saw the boss fight so jumped directly to that, fuck randoms.

THIS IS NOT WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR WHEN I SELECTED GIANT ENEMY CRAB.

He can crit for 400 damage.  With Strength Down from Staggering Strike (Not the Stagger).  Against Mirek for reference.

I think that is a bit questionable myself.

I don't know if Negation is limit only, but it sure as shit should be.  I saw it just before he died and it caught me completely off guard.  It was okay because Bartol OHKOed it afterwards.

Speak of.  His Focus skill would suck if it wasn't functionally free.  I don't think Staggering strike is supposed to give Str Down?  I dunno, it does and I am fine with this.

I do have to say MT damage is done right with Giant Enemy Crab.  Generally so far MT has been as strong or nearly as strong as ST damage and this is excessive given your highly limited expected outgoing healing in the game.  You only have so much outgoing HP per turn and it is not ever going to keep up with 2HKO MT damage that we see in test.  In my general opinion that much MT is way over the top.

Cut that shit out.

What you have done right is still have MT, but it is supplemental to a normal focused damage attack.  It is still too strong of course, but it is the right direction.  That is without mentioning that you gave him 2 other strong MT attacks, so the idea has is hardly completely realised, but it is a start.  Blasting Blow should be your basic form of MT in this design.  I definitely think there is room for a fight or some fights with more traditional full MT damage, but that shouldn't 2 moves every boss has.

Final Thoughts

Okay.  There is a few things we really need to take on board with this.  It is beta, so balance is a thing.  Not all of the things I have said or complained about with regards to balance will make sense if things are balanced in other directions.

So lets start with the good things first.  Heal block is freaking great.  It does exactly what we wanted it to.  It makes healing a meaningful choice and keeps things interesting.  There needs to be some more supplemental healing to work with though.  I am not sure if this goes to a weak heal that doesn't apply the block or buffing Regen up a bit, but in the demo there is scenarios where you are gambling when you heal early because someone has taken 1/3 damage but enemies are fully capable of bursting down 2/3 of your health before you get a turn again, let alone before you can even heal again.  I suspect the problem will be alleviated with damage paradigm being cut drastically, but I still suspect we are going to be facing problems.  There was consistently points where some of the RNG nature of fights could have been reduced with some kind of triage heal.  Something to just get by on between big heal block inducing heals.  This could be piss weak items (Things about as strong as Eirwin's First Aid now as a general item with a Regen with more kick to it would do the job quite well I think) or it could be expanding other party member's skillsets.

MP and the state it is in and the intended state

Now lets talk about something I haven't ranted about at notepad all night.  MP at the moment is complete and total trash mechanic.  It feels like a holdover from RPGs and we are just doing it because it is what you do.  It is regenning after every fight and we are seeing it being necessary every fight.  There was one fight that taxed MP supplies by itself and that was Legion. 

Mirek is always having MP issues, that is cool. 

Noemi on the other hand was running on fumes at the end of the fight for me.  Noemi without MP is pretty terrible.  I am not sure if it is optimal if she spams Analyse for FP or if she should be spamming basic physicals (which do give her 15 FP a turn).  Then she can use Crescendo skills every few turns.  She gets out of running out of MP the best. 

For everyone else MP as it stands is horrible. 

Erastus has a MP pool that is big enough to soak most of what you cast.  Once he is spent, complete and total dead weight.  As is he was already pretty close to this.  Erastus fucking blows.

On the other side of the coin though we have Kasia, this is now going to turn into a rant about her rather than MP, but MP is part of it.  Kasia gives no fucks about MP and it sure as shit isn't because she has a defend command that regens MP.  I have already talked about how bad a state her things other than casting spells is.  You basic physical out of basic need to do anything at all.  At the end of Legion she had 200 MP left, hadn't used a FP based skill at all and had only used one move from her skillset.  Kasia has absolutely nothing going for her other than Recover and that one skill is mandatory.  This is a good thing because it is probably the best mechanic we have going in to this.  The rest of the skillset?  Completely worthless.  She is a warm body that can heal on command.  She is less useful as a character in battle than Marco from Radiant Historia and Marco is noted for being so good because anyone else can take his turn instead of him.

If you get rid of MP regenning each fight you are left with a terribly broken game.  The MP scales start off big and the costs are high.  Fights have way too much incoming damage to lean on basic physicals with people and some are straight up worthless at them (Erastus).  You either need a strong MP Regen mechanic or dungeons are going to be grindy and bad.  You need those MP for the boss fights.  You need those MP pools to get through the fights.  You probably have enough of a pool to get through 6 or so sets of randoms.  That isn't enough to make the jump in levels we have posted for Sebrle Plantation.  This will not go well.  Making people play more effeciently guts your skillsets and guts the fun of the combat.

I don't have a good suggestion here than to completely scrap MP entirely.  In chapter 1 you mostly have damage parity on skills anyway, there is very little that the trade off is high MP cost for big benefit.  The moves that are not useful don't see a lack of use because of their MP cost (FP cost certainly does).  I can't tell which system needs more work.

Focus

Focus isn't working at all.  Mechanically (outside of miss = 0 FP) it is working, but it is not even close to doing what we want it to.  We have Wild Arms basic system and we are doing it worse than every single WA game.  Including the first one.  It is good for two characters in total, Noemi and Eirwin and those two because hey free damage is cool!  Or a free resk free damage buff.  I think NEB might kill me for suggesting it, but if you want these to be worth doing you need to either change the FP gain system, definitely want to untie it from anyone's passive (Like Mirek) and most importantly you want to be able to USE the skills before the fight is pretty much over.

Character balance

Slow characters suck worse than a clogged drain.  Mirek and Erastus are both terrible.  I don't hold Andy's optimism in bugfixes saving Mirek.  He will be mandatory in some fights and otherwise is spot on for Fourth Character Slot that you cycle through whoever happens to be mandatory for the current puzzle or whoever has best damage that is left.

Fight balance

Fights are massively overtuned nearly universally.  The combat is entirely rocket tag at the moment.  Heal Block honestly works better the longer a fight goes on.  If your fight is over in 3 turns then you either were taking insurmountable damage or the blocking to your healing is meaningless.  In the current state of combat everything is incredibly volatile.  Big damage incoming, evasion is make or break, status hit rates on turn 1 force hit rates.  Stuff like that.  Slow down damage on both sides and you will see a much more decisive combat flow.  I am not saying we need to make Xenosaga 2 or anything but I am most definitely saying you do not want to make Saga or Zeboyd games.  There is room for the HP/MP regen of those games with more prolonged combat.

I will be frank, this is much tidier than the feedback I had written last night.  You don't have the Authentic Grefter Playtester experience here, but I hope it is constructive.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:17:40 PM by AndrewRogue »

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 11:00:50 PM »
Okay.  At this point, I feel I've heard all I need to before I start on getting functional changes for Battle Test v1.2, "The Slightly Less Crappy Version".  And wow, there's a lot of things that need fixing.  I'll be organizing things by problem category in this scenario, but I am convinced it is far from a widescale demo release.  As such, looking at gameplay issues here primarily:

-Greater Conceptual Issues
--Issues with MP and FP need to be discussed and possibly changed as of large.

-Lesser Conceptual Issues
--Kasia skillset in general needs a revamp.  Barbed Shot's largely a carryover from when we thought everything was going to have a counter rate.
--Eirwen's skillset seems to not work so well given the current fight flow.  Needs conceptual readjusting.

-Documentation Issues
--Bandages need to be made more clear that they're for Eirwen's First Aid skill only.
--Skill descriptions are still needed for two of Erastus' skills (Searing, Blasting Spread).

-Non-Implementation Issues(YEM)
--Spark Cluster critical rates are not working.  This can either be rectified or compensated for. Proposed Workaround: change damage base and variance to account for the critical rate
--Dual-cost abilities only take one or the other.  I can do a workaround to do this anyway.  Proposed Workaround: base skill costs TP, which triggers an execute skill tag that activates the MP-costing portion.  Slightly clunky, but it gets the job done.

-Non-Implementation Issues(Customized Engine Stuff, already mentioned to NEB so this may be fixed at a later point)
--Disabled targets do not get empty turns like they should.  Proposed Workaround: Disabling status essentially turns into a massive percentile speed reduction based on the status, wears off when character gets an action.  Similar effect in function, just used differently.
--DEF alteration does not work
--Focus gains only occur on hit

-Non-Implementation Issues (I rushed this shit out of the door, abso-fucking-lute shame on me)
--No accuracy variance on skills or enemies.  Spark Cluster can be partially fixed by jacking the accuracy up on it, for example.
--Level acquisition of skills not specified
--Hitrates on statuses are all set at default, which apparently is at C=100%.  This is most definitely NOT going to remain the way it is.
--Prodigy is still not yet implemented
--No non-default healing items.
--Essence Flare MDEF boost not the new standardized +66%
--Empower(normal) VIT penalty not enforced as of yet.
--Physical skills can't critical.  This might just be rectified by a switch in YEM, however.

-Balancing Errors
--Combat possibly too Rocket Taggy in general.  Possibly a result of my means of balance checking being to change it until it feels reasonably hard by my standards before greenlighting it, particularly for randoms (In other words, need to adjust my own playtest standards, since I seem to aim for randoms to be quick and brutal so far).  In particular:
--*PC HP could do to be increased to levels it was at before I reduced it by 25% to what it is now.  (Thus Noemi starting with 400 HP, so on.)  Healing abilities would have to be raised to adjust.
--*Enemy MT in general needs to be potentially nerfed in general compared to ST.
--*Disquiet-type spells perhaps need a change in hit-to-power ratio.  2x90 is pretty damn solid at piercing MDEF and Soul abilities are supposed to be good at blocking this crap while increasing MDEF.  4-hit being average for it should make it better.
--*DEF/MDEF might be boosted in general on the PC side.  Partly to get Soul skills more relevant.
--*Non-healblock healing could do to be expanded and improved upon.  Eirwen's current healing...kind of sucks to say the least.
--Stagger too powerful for PC use as of current.  May be cut from Bartol's list or nerfed in effect alongside hitrate.  Proposed Solution: Nerf Stagger reduction from 50% to 30%, apply it to healing as well. 
--Speed curve (and possibly DEX curve) in general needs to be tightened on the lower end in general.  Why I did not consider this before I do not know.  Proposed Solution: Apply the 3/5 Difference treatment for all PCs -below- 60 base DEX/SPD.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:25:35 AM by Namagomi »

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 11:09:43 PM »
Late to the party, and a lot of this is probably obsolete anyway with rebalancing decisions etc., but some notes on the battle test anyway:

First dungeon enemies: Fun fact, I first fought these guys not noticing that the level was set to 7 and was wondering why things were so easy. Anyway, that fixed, I found these fights were generally in a good place. Realising Verminous are cowards who run away (and hence can be ignored) helps a good deal. I didn't lose but felt like I could have, and fights didn't feel -overly- luck-dependent. Mostly just used a mix of attacking (either physicals or spells) and Kasia's healing.

Corpulent: Would have been better if he hadn't missed all 3 hits of his opening attack. I feel like I didn't get an appreciation for most of his gimmicks as such. I did like how his powered-up attack came just short of OHKOing rather than OHKOing though, that works nicely.

Bandit enemies: Thrashers hit like trucks. Having three PCs made me more inclined to use Sleeping, which seemed quite effective. Erastus' Fireball felt a bit overpowered as I never really wanted to do anything else with him. These guys could drop PCs but I generally felt able to gun them down with superior rocket tag skillz.

Thug boss fight: Shockwave Burst is super-rude. Sleeping is god though. Battle feels somewhat luck-based as second-in-command needs to be slept and it helps a lot if nobody dies during the initial sleep stages. Of course, I'm currently benefitting from sleep having infinite duration, so the battle probably remains really nasty without that. Actually, check that, looking at the code you have to be really lucky to sleep #2, so... yeah never mind that. Tried to win without sleeping him, did it eventually but it took several tries. Definitely feel like I'm missing something here. Though, I also noticed that battle test = no Erastus regen which would have helped. Anyway this pretty obviously needs a rebalance.

Other random stuff that I'm not sure if it has been noted...

-names like "Energy Buffer" and "Amplification" aren't very helpful. I see the a boss do that and I have no idea what it means. It should be immediately apparent. "Element defence up" is an example of a more helpful term. Fancy names for the skills is fine, but keep the status names easy to understand.

-perhaps we want number of hits in the spell description? In general the way damage numbers currently appear is terrible as has been noted, that's probably the bigger problem.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Re: Disquiet Battle Test 2 Rambling
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »
v1.07 is available. It actually needs some serious tweaking, but I figured people should be able to play around with it a bit to see how things feel.

General tweaks are as follows.

SP for Noemi, Erastus, Kasia, Eirwen, Bartol is now set to 10 and they will regen 1 at the start of their turn. Their defensive actions will also regen 1 additional Stamina.

Skill costs are tweaked to use the new SP numbers (mostly via the screwing around tab, but I made some quick personal changes in a few areas where I disagreed and wanted to screw with). Note that I got sloppy in one or two areas (swapping Eirwen over, I tweaked Speed Fang further then I probably should have).

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Re: Disquiet Battle Test 3 Rambling
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 06:19:23 AM »
Have a new version up that is a sidegrade. Check the googledoc (Andrew's Revisions tab) for most of the details.

Regen set to 1 SP a turn for each character. Recover skill functions as Guard and full SP recovery.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 07:11:19 AM »
Evade bug is inconsistent.  I don't think it is applying to basic physicals.  Some physical skills seem to exhibit it but others don't (Might be related to dodging all parts vs only later parts).  I definitely has seen it effect Gang Leader's MT attack.  Haven't seen Magic skill not impacted.

Costs on Noemi's support may be too high.  Very easy for her to get stuck in support cycle.  Thug boss for example doing it the "right" way is 2 sleeps and she is empty, either recover or go to Crescendo moves.

Increased HP pool without buffing Recover's heal amount means you want to proactively heal more often.  not sure if good or bad.

Wow, healing someone inflicted with Heal block is HELLA punishing (and I forget if 0 on status means you are still effected or not... apparently it means yes!) 

Thug boss damage still too high.  Can lose people even though you healed them first turn they took damage with both support asleep (this was not the person I healed while healblocked).  Evade bug of course is a contributing factor.

Honestly not just buffs on the player side I am interested in increasing duration for.  Debuffs would be nice as well.  3 turns on Vit down is kind of whatever.  Sleep I am up in the air with, since it is hard to get a feel for while it is still Coma.

Okay just saw Evade bug on something Gang Leader did on Kasia that was a single swing.  Now I have literally no fucking idea.(Bloodletting only doing it maybe? anything with an added effect?)

Crescendo Sleep, target the same already sleeping Raider 3 times :|

Not convinced Thug is beatable at level 3 without evasion working.  This says nothing at all but whatever, much like shit, log format is a log.

Evaded hits that still cause damage are not counted as hits or damage on the damage counter.

I thiiiiink I just saw Gang Leader Crit on an evaded Bloodletting.

Heal block prevents Recovery?  Feels overly punishing and strictly limits your resources...

Gave up on Thug hideout.

Mirek and Eirwen miniboss.  Okay even with evade bug this fight is way more doable than when I last tried.  Much betterer.  Stil entirely capable of being RNG fucked though.  Stun Eirwen TIME FOR CRITS ALL UP INS.  Wipe.  Still 2/3 wins is better than last time.

I CBF trying randoms from here on.

Legion tiem. 

I forgot to mention Leg Shot is seeing use because kasia has nothing better to do on down turns and it boosts everyone's damage (Assuming evade bug only impacts player characters?  I haven't tested properly on enemies, harder to track)

Speed Fang in this incarnation is weird, it makes Eirwen chew through buffs and debuffs so damned fast.  It makes First Aid scale REALLY well on herself though which is a cool bonus.

Fuuuuuuuck youuuuuuu evade bug.  Pretty much straight up one shot Eirwen on a Putrefaction crit.  Still won though.

So yeah, swap up the paradigm a bit and Legion is still the best fight we have.  Seriously just a well put together set of ideas here.

Did you buff First Aid Andy or is this just the boosts to HP balancing it up better?

And yeah I think I am done for the day.

I like some of the Stamina stuff, but definitely not in the right spot.  I am iffy on the unique command for it as regen.  Probably baked into unique command would work well though?  Not sure.  Costings generally are off though.  Or pools, or regen rates.  Something.

Also for tldr bug report.  I had trouble pinning down evade bug but if it helps it doesn't do it for all moves, I don't think I saw it for a single hit move without additional effects (So basic physicals), I always saw it impact Magic attacks, but never saw a miss on a single hit magic skill.  Definitely was impacting physical skills also with MT physical and Bloodletting both being hit by it from enemy side.  I also was unable to test from enemy side because I am hella lazy.

Damage taken while evading does not register on the hit/damage counter.  2 hit attacks where you evade one also do not register on the counter (probably unrelated). 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:18:15 AM by Grefter »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 06:09:35 AM »
Response to Gref

I generally attempted to err on the high cost side because of Recover. But yeah, I didn't take action to deal with the support cycle lock. I generally think the best solution is to increase buff/debuff duration, though (3 turns really is fairly short when we're aiming for longer battles).

I do think Recover needs to be buffed to its former ratio. More proactive healing needed makes you more vulnerable to RNG.

Yeah, we're planning on making it so that Heal Block does not stack on itself since, yeah. It is baaaaad if you do it. It would actually make MT healing almost completely useless (or potentially very bad, at least).

I was toying with Heal Block and Stamina regen impact. May have accidentally left it in.

Yeah. Sadly it'd probably be better to make Speed Fang instacast and not consume Buffs/Debuffs.

I did not touch First Aid healing. The decrease of (effective) power to Recover and higher healing values due to higher HP prolly made it look better.

My Own Notes

Some very, very early observations about Nama's build (trying to ignore the fights themselves due to Evade bug and focus on the Stamina interaction).

-I think costs may be on the too high end? Felt like I was running out of Stamina a little too fast.
-Is Rest meant to restore all of Kasia's Stamina? If not, then Recovery is prolly way overpriced. She absolutely needs to keep it available, which means it is worth just spamming physicals unless she needs to heal.
-I feel like smaller numbers could be achieved with some ratio adjustment. Not necessarilly important (we could well use a different Stamina scale), but worth noting.
-Observation I'm not really sure the Buff/Debuff story effect is working out. It has started to look like Defensive buff/debuff shouldn't be paired (ala Bolster), as it is really hard to make that work correctly.

Notes to self-

Did a Str boost boost Crossbow Damage?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:05:44 PM by AndrewRogue »

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 04:12:35 PM »
Some very, very early observations about Nama's build (trying to ignore the fights themselves due to Evade bug and focus on the Stamina interaction).

-I think costs may be on the too high end? Felt like I was running out of Stamina a little too fast.
-Is Rest meant to restore all of Kasia's Stamina? If not, then Recovery is prolly way overpriced. She absolutely needs to keep it available, which means it is worth just spamming physicals unless she needs to heal.
-I feel like smaller numbers could be achieved with some ratio adjustment. Not necessarilly important (we could well use a different Stamina scale), but worth noting.
-Observation I'm not really sure the Buff/Debuff story effect is working out. It has started to look like Defensive buff/debuff shouldn't be paired (ala Bolster), as it is really hard to make that work correctly.

-Huh.  I felt they were perfectly balanced.  Though this might be partly because I used 1.08 base and Crescendoes no longer are FP-only
-Uh...okay, I left that one as-is.  I'm tempted to have it heal 50% of her stamina, anyway, but she is meant to have some problems getting resources back.
-Feel free to try, anyway.  I felt this was the minimum possible one given the regen values I felt were needed.
-Feel free to elaborate on this?  I have my own observations that I'm going to be posting anyway.

Did a Str boost boost Crossbow Damage?

Easily rectified if so.  Workaround to make crossbows give you immunity to STR modifying statuses.

Buffing observations: This is something I feel like a complete idiot to not have noticed before.  Buffs in RPGs actually do need special attention paid to their targeting for a few reasons.  First and foremost being that you have to account for enemy randomness more often than not.  After all, player tendencies run towards what noticeably works versus what doesn't.  Second, and more obvious, is that some buffs can easily break the game if left unchecked.  Need help deciding how this works?  Check out Phantasy Star 4 or Epic Battle Fantasy 3 for two quick examples of this in action.  But for the explanation below:

Strong Offensive Buffs in general can be left to single target status--in PC hands, anyway.  By "strong", I mean any offensive buff that will result in a non-negligible boost to offensive output for its cost in turn economy.  We've all seen buffs of the sort in games, really.  Empower here fits this arguably.  Arguably because Noemi's got a fairly good action economy with her second-castbest speed.

Weak Offensive Buffs can largely be left multitarget.  By "Weak Offensive Buffs", I largely refer to accuracy in games where evade is not a major factor, low-output damage buffs, so on.  We don't really have any of these, I don't believe.

Defensive Buffs can also largely be left multitarget.  Unless the buff can be considered "Extremely Strong," across power and duration, it usually is not worth making single-target.  The why of the matter is simple: The player often can't easily determine who gets attacked.  Rather than take a gamble on it, the player will rather just leave a character unbuffed.  In most cases, the solution is to make it multitarget--note how seldom Bolster is used due to this.  The exception?  When you -can- manipulate who's getting attacked.
In this game, there are two particular examples: Essence Flare and...well, Bartol's existence in general.  These two can justify single-target defensive buffs in their cases.  (Kinetic Buffer is self-targeting, notably, and is particularly noteworthy because it's on the person who can direct enemy attention to himself.)

Action Economy Buffs are almost invariably single-target, given just how powerful they are.  This would include ATB/CTB Haste, and so on.  No real explanation as to why needed--and look at any game with MT ATB/CTB Haste for why this shit gets broken.

Extremely Strong Buffs tend to almost invariably be self-targeting.  Again, this is to prevent absolute bullshit.  "Charge" style buffs like this are seen frequently in SMT games.  Also Oversurge, Amplification, Magnification in this.

Now, there's an unspoken exception to some of these rules, and that's in enemy hands.  To be precise: Offensive buffs in the possession of an enemy have to be carefully monitored for formation and desired difficulty, due to the fact that in most cases, enemies do NOT have intelligent targeting, or wouldn't benefit from it more than random choice in most cases..  As such, in mixed groups for offensive buffs, it is a viable option here to try for a MT offensive buff.  If you want to make an encounter particularly hellish in some ways, MT action economy buff, so on.

Tangent aside, looking at Andy's version again, I've made a few observations of my own, discounting any fight difficulty as of current on the basis of that goddamned evade bug.

-Stamina honestly feels more like a mild inconvenience here, than anything I'd have to take particular time managing.  The only one it's a potential problem with is Erastus, and even that's only if you want to spam Fireball until the end of time.
-Sleep is particularly high-priced to a point as to be more annoying to use than anything else.  I'll be downgrading the price of it myself once coma mode stops being a thing.
-Mirek...switching him over to Dai/Djai/SpellingDecisionNeeded's Focus mechanic doesn't feel like it works so well to me.  Also looks like I forgot to switch Banishing Edge to physical in this.  woo.
-Switching Kinetic Buffer to FP comes off as a very "WTF" move here.
-Spark Cluster feels particularly underpriced.

-Notable corner-case bug: Critical against an enemy who would normally null the attack through raw DEF crashes the game.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:17:45 PM by Namagomi »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 06:35:13 PM »
-Huh.  I felt they were perfectly balanced.  Though this might be partly because I used 1.08 base and Crescendoes no longer are FP-only

Like I said, this is pretty early observation. It felt a bit better on my second playthrough, but it did generally feel like PCs were burning down towards 0 Stamina really fast.

-Uh...okay, I left that one as-is.  I'm tempted to have it heal 50% of her stamina, anyway, but she is meant to have some problems getting resources back.

That's a dangerous route to take with healers. If the game requires healing, people will trend towards reserving resources for healing unless it is absolutely necessary for them to do something else. You need to provide an economy where Healing is an easy option (or fights where you have no choice but to use other skills) if you want other abilities to be used.

-Feel free to try, anyway.  I felt this was the minimum possible one given the regen values I felt were needed.

I'm not really concerned about it. Just thought I'd mention.

-Feel free to elaborate on this?  I have my own observations that I'm going to be posting anyway.

I'll focus on the one thing you didn't address as I can address that below. Basically, the other reason Bolster is fairly mediocre is because, unless the fight is one damage type or heavily, heavily skewed towards one, one up/one down defense is actually either garbage (since you depend on RNG to hit you with the right damage type) or meaningless (as the fight is so heavily skewed one way the debuff doesn't matter). Fights need to be structured with this in mind if we keep that.

Buffing observations

Just gonna go short and say no real disagreements and a solid assessment. Basically a very long version of saying "Bolster sucks." Also, a bit of a long way of saying "Bunker Soul is nuts!"

Stamina honestly feels more like a mild inconvenience here, than anything I'd have to take particular time managing.  The only one it's a potential problem with is Erastus, and even that's only if you want to spam Fireball until the end of time.

Generally speaking, we'd probably need much tighter action economy balance in fights then is worthwhile to have full Stam regen off an action be a common thing. Still don't think the idea needs to be abandoned (that is to say Stamina healing being common) per se, but as I was toying with, prolly not right for the game.

-Sleep is particularly high-priced to a point as to be more annoying to use than anything else.  I'll be downgrading the price of it myself once coma mode stops being a thing.

Eh. It is a very powerful effect. I didn't find it too bad, but with actual duration in place it might have been more of an issue.

-Mirek...switching him over to Dai/Djai/SpellingDecisionNeeded's Focus mechanic doesn't feel like it works so well to me.  Also looks like I forgot to switch Banishing Edge to physical in this.  woo.

Really? I dunno, it created a somewhat nice rhythm to me.

-Switching Kinetic Buffer to FP comes off as a very "WTF" move here.

Not really. Kinetic Buffer comes out as the sort of awesome skill that feels made for Focus. ~halving all physical damage? Pretty cool!

-Spark Cluster feels particularly underpriced.

Yeah, I didn't tweak it at all. This was more a result of me wanting a second elemental skill about as usable as Flare Shot.

-Notable corner-case bug: Critical against an enemy who would normally null the attack through raw DEF crashes the game.

Good to know!

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 09:34:37 PM »
More Notes

All notes recorded vs Legion, since it is the fight I'm most familiar with.

-Kasia seems to hit really goddamn hard with her physical (~121 vs Legion with Sword2).
-Mail Cleaver damage seems down notably. Buffed with both Empowers and Prepare, it is managing 345. Not really much better than Kasia. Updated: With GuardianBlade1, for reference. GuardianBlade2 does bring it up further, but the relative gap is surprisingly small (201-ish with Kasia fully buffed using Sword2).
-Recovery does feel a little low right now, although this may be being exacerbated by the Evade issue.
-Buff display needs to be cleared up a bit (why you fall off display Healblock?). May want to make buffs single icon at a later point instead of both up and down.
-We may want revival earlier in? Losing a PC in these early fights is damning.
-Healblock is interacting oddly with MP healing. It seems to prevent burst healing but not the regen? (Rest was also cancelled out by it).
-Stamina gets eaten less in practice then I was finding as long as you take breathers in-between actions for basic attacks/Unique actions.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 10:54:22 AM »
Nama's version this time.  Very rough notes, may be abrupt and not sanitized to not seem pointed and aggressive.  Not meant to be, just tired and blunt because it was a quick knock about test where I was honestly back and forthing with Nama in chat which took most of my attention to maintaining normal human interaction.

I am just done testing on Legion.  Mag Up, MT attack.  Fucking nope.  Not without evasion.  I am just going to test on the testing enemy and ignore damage amounts (since it ahs no dex is makes Physical scaling obscene).

I am with Andy on the costing of Restore and it making you sit on Kasia's Stamina.  You can't cast it 4 times without a break, this makes dealing with MT damage as it stands pretty impossible, I think even with Evade working it would exacerbate the RNG feel I had with MT damage being so influenced by Evasion.  Get a point where not enough people evade much?  BL prep for wiping harder than you have to do after a bout of explosive projectile diarrhea.

This also really puts the rest of her skillset in the hole again.  I didn't get much use out of it in Andy's version either, but hey I at least got theoretical use out of one skill.  Even earlier I was using Bolster on filler turns.  Now it is heal or attack or defend.  Pretty snooze.  If you went with this model my knee jerk is to make her defend a very classic defend but make it regen 50 CT.  So pretty much straight up rip it from Erastus.  This lets her regen MP and lets you time your heals for when you need them rather than praying she gets a turn before someone gets burst down.  This is pretty much the exact opposite of what we want though I think?

Eirwen's costing doesn't feel like it has nearly enough opportunity cost to it.  I get what you were going for, but you pretty much spam Vulcan Chain and Speed Fang interchangeably and throw First Aid in between.

Mirek feels super stale with no FP skills (shock we need to revamp and shits!).  I know you don't like it but I think he works perfectly fine leveraging his basic physical in the current niche Mail Cleaver has in this design.  I like his baseline offense being Prep -> Attack rather than Prep -> some shit in menus you don't need to for pretty much the same overall effect.  There is functionally 0 difference between a basic physical and a physical skill that doesn't do anything special other than punch things in the taint.  It honestly just feels like menu busywork and I would even prefer the ITD to be baked in to the weapon or Mirek's physical than to bother clicking through menus just for that.

Noemi burns out on gas very quick as well.  This is kind of how I envisioned Erastus but with a bigger pool.  Costly but will burn out.

Which incidentally is how Erastus works pretty much.  Needs a bit more FP growth maybe to bring his utility to play before he burns out (they aren't options here, they are once off benefits).  Fireball oddly enough feels too cheap?  How the fuck did that happen with how much we back and forthed on that and me being the one worried about you overcosting it.  Still favour a Cool down component on it.  At this cost making it a 1 turn CD so he can do it every second turn would fit I think.

Back to Noemi though, because she burns out so quick it feels that she has no real flexibility.  You either shoot things in the face and then physical, buff bot and physical or sleep and physical.  Pick from those three because you aren't going to be able to effectively juggle them.

Bartol feels like everything is way too costly.  Bartol in general has always felt incomplete though.

Things I have taken from this, Recovery needs to be buffed a lot.  Some of it is the evade bug, but it is struggling to compete with First Aid in total throughput.  Heal Block was interesting when you were choosing between a single shot of strong healing and block or slower weaker heal but flexibility.  Now it is just burst heal and block or heal over time and flexibility.

Varied Stamina pools work well, varies stamina gains I find really hard to deal with.  It is hard to plan ahead until you memorise how much each character gets.  I think this is just too much mental juggling to do or degenerates fights into reactionary decision making instead of really planning ahead.

Everyone in this system feels like they are pump and dump.  You burn through your stamina or you sit on it, it loses the feeling of rhythm we had on Mirek originally that kind of translates through to others in Andy's patch.

Also not sure why you find the MP restoration interaction odd Andy.  MP Regen code was based on HP Regen code.  The behaviour is exactly the same.  Heal Block prevents targetted heals (to MP) and regen works through it.  Just tested, you saw the same interaction with Heal Block and Rest in the original battle test we had.

Things that surprise me.  How damned good Eirwen has been in both patches in spite of evade bug being present.  Made of tissue paper, but ball lightning character still feels really good in both variations.

Edit - Also do note that I am envisioning long fights here.  On shorter stuff this might all be fine.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:00:37 AM by Grefter »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 04:22:53 PM »
I'll comment a little deeper on stuff later, but re: Healblock.

Yeah, forgot my own bug notice there, or thought I had resolved it. Healblock should only wall HP Healing. The tags NEB is using for it actually come in two types: HP and MP. So it is just odd it is catching it, and weirder, catching it without the NULLED message.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 11:02:26 AM »
Okay so I put together my own version and emailed to Andy.  Linked an upload on Google Drive in chat for those in there if they want.

Cliff notes of changes as follows

Enemies
- Randoms health tripled.
- Boss Health increased by about 25%
- All damage cut roughly by 1/3 give or take.  Needs finer tuning.  Early randoms feel too easy.  Sebrle Plantation randoms feel a step up but might be where we want?  Would like to see how Nama feels about them especially.  Will have to think hard about impact of evade bug on randoms.  It is definitely more impacting with bosses (more MT which is hit harder by evasion with what we have in play at the moment).
- Stun skills changed to Stagger or significant stat debuffs on Throat Strike.

PCs

Everyone had skills cost changed somewhat.
Stamina Regen scales changed to 3 for all but Eirwen and Erastus who have 1, had pools changed to 3 and 50 respectively.
Defend commands other than Kasia are half turns.
Most buffs benefits set to 5 turns, retain 3 turn negatives.  Speed Up still 3 turns.

Noemi
- Flare Shot Costs 2
- Spark Cluster costs 4
- Buffed Crescendo damage slightly.   Crescendo skills are her inefficient moves (left Nama's costs by accident and liked it in my paradigm, dropped cost of Spark Cluster I had set to 7 which I hated).   

I found I was cycling through different spells with her a lot and her interaction from battle to battle was quite different.  Would think about tuning up Crescendo damage a little.

Kasia
- Rest has no MP regen, gives Speed Up and Regen.  Still costs FP.  Is a normal turn length (after Speed Up...).
- Recovery, 8 Stamina but otherwise untouched !  For all my talk of it needing a buff, longer fights with less damage make it more situational.  Would still want to watch it.  I envision cost reducing over chapters as we could introduce more of her skillset.
- Cleansing, 7 Stamina and untouched.  Doesn't see much use as is.  Not sure what to do here.
- Bolster, 6 Stamina, fast action.  Otherwise untouched.  I envision this as her Stamina dump with its cost and speed.
- Arterial Shot, 3 Stamina.  I use this all the damned time and is pretty rad on randoms.  If you don't need to burn something down she can target multiple opponents to try and rack up free damage.
- Barbed Shot, 75 Focus.  Made it do 5x as much damage.  If you manage to get the focus up she blasts something okay.
- Leg Shot, 4 Stamina and will see no use with evade bug in place.  Suspect it will be a subtle damage booster for the party.

Erastus
- Regen set to 1 and Stamina set to 50.  He burns out and then slowly simmers.  Had failed to scale up his MP originally and did Thug with him at 35 Stamina cap.  Burned through it all.  He can actually see some use with Breather spam to drop the occasional stat down or Flare Shot every now and then.
- Breather, half turn action, Generates 15 Rage.  We seem to have defend skills generating 1 MP in their common events or something?  I like this well enough actually.  With skill costings he still feels like he burns out, but focused effort can get some more out of him.
- Flare Shot 2 Stamina, same as Noemi obviously.  Can cast a lot of these, but probably won't.
- Fireball, 15 Stamina, buffed its damage, gave it a 2 turn Cooldown.
- Ignition, 5 Stamina, debuff lasts 9 turns.  Think I left the damage as is.
- Searing, 8 stamina 20 Focus, Buffed its damage.  Still Str debuff.  Hits at same damage as Fireball.  Might need more oomph.
- Blasting Spread, 8 Stamina 30 Focus, buffed its damage.  Still Vit debuff.  Hits a bit harder than Searing for that 10 extra FP.   Also might need more oomph.

Mirek
- Largely unchanged, I think he was working best in the MP system, but only really needed some skill tweaks.  Bunker Soul and Essence Flare left as is.
- Mail Cleaver, 12 Stamina, think I buffed its damage a bit and gave it a 2 turn CD.  Not sure if that is needed with the Stam cost.  Probably needs more damage.
- Banishing Edge, 60 FP, buffed its damage out the wazoo.  Does straight up retarded damage to Disquiet foes.  Did 3.8k to Legion with buff train going on him and Vit Down.  For reference that is a 3HKO that takes a lot of setup.  I kind of like that, but might not be for everyone.

Eirwen
- She is mostly untouched, I haven't actually tried her on the 3 point stamina scale, but the way I had her functioning on the 15 point scale was largely the same (Bloodletting I had cost at 2 and that was functionally no different than 1 or free).
- Tempted to make Vulcan Chain do 2x swings.  Yeah I know right?  Something wrong with me.  I obsess over Erastus, but I just like Eirwen.

Reasoning behind the change of the Stamina scale is I didn't like the idea that she spends a ton of effort attacking and is just significantly more long lasting in a fight than the others.  More that she is incredibly efficient in her movements.  I may like my Kung Fu master stereotype too much though.

Bartol
Full disclaimer here, I didn't even try him out in battle and have no idea how I feel about this.
- Taunt was untouched
- Kinetic Buffer, 5 Stamina, didn't touch it other than lowering cost.  Would think about buffing duration.
- Staggering Impact, 10 Stamina.  Probably too expensive.
- Sonic Boom, 7 Stamina.  not sure what to do with bartol
- Fearsome Strike, 2 Stamina.  I think his thing might be getting some FP and spamming the fuck out of this.

From my play testing, I have made randoms too on the easy side.  I find myself responding a lot based on shifting scenarios in more dynamic fights (like Thug hideout), but wasn't really able to nail down a sustainable cycle for all my talk of it.  It still feels like you are being reactionary in fights to me, but everything is a bit less immediate with the slowed down combat if that makes sense?

I was definitely in situations without the Stamina Regen on demand where I had opted not to heal that was in tight spots, but never felt like I was in such a stamina deficit that I couldn't do anything.  Restore is expensive and you can't spam it, but Kasia has some turn manipulation and longevity with Rest giving Speed Up and Regen.  I like some of the impact that has, but it might be a little too free?  It definitely locks her out of using Barbed Shot though.

Randoms in general early were probably too weak.  Sebrle Plantation were good I think?  Still threatening but due to staying up and having good synergy rather than significant burst.

I defanged Second in Command and now the Thug Fight is probably too counter to Nama's fight design.  Need to buff the damage on the Raiders.  Could be a fine line to walk as I think they were the strongest randoms in the dungeon, buuuuut even then they were still not strong enough, so should be okay.  Probably throw 10 on to Atk and Spirit and they would be okay.  Crescendo Sleep was still fantastic on that fight when it was proper MT.

I did Legion with Erastus and he still felt bad, but not a total waste of space!  I would still think about doing something to make him not so bad.  Lowering his M.Def and giving him Fire resist that Ignition will work around would be interesting, then the fight dynamic changes for Noemi depending on if you have Erastus or Eirwen in the party.

Needs more work, but I hope at least it is a test bed for ideas.  It was a fun experience and showed me that I design in ways I don't think it is ideal.  I am not finding myself trying to math out time to kill or anything, just throwing numbers against the wall and seeing what happens.  Hoping for the best.  Oh well.  I am kind of happy with how it feels as a rough draft.

Edit - Tested Eirwen and she died half way through Legion (just focused down), stam scale seems fine.

Trying some randoms in Sea Battle.  Holy shit.  The problem might not have been Second In Command so much as Shockwave Burst.  It still does obscene damage even on the enemies here.  Lobster x2 and Envious x2 = Hope you like getting MTed down.  Straight up hard wipe on that even with the nerfs.  Wow.

Also some of it might be that enemy durability has scaled up faster than PC damage?  Maybe I need to try with the next tier of gear.  I dunno.  Hmmm.

Edit 2 - Oh yeah and tried Bartol in some randoms.  Worked about as expected.  Not quite right, but he punches things in the face I guess.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 11:31:06 AM by Grefter »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 06:25:55 AM »
Very early assessments:

-Fights still jerk Noemi around a bit, but she has a lot more actual flexibility now.
-Increased durability/decreased damage on enemies does seem good. May need to lengthen heal block a bit, though? Seems rough to break through the burst unless you get caught early?
-With fixed Evade, fights are prolly pushing a little too easy because of the above. Thugs I nearly cleared twice, despite being unable to evade.
-We may really wish to pattern certain attacks a little more. Legion is a pushover if he doesn't Putrefication or Magnify every now and then. Keeping Spell Barrier and using Shockwave Burst sometimes (but not a billion times in a row) by the Second-In-Command would work well. Nothing super deep, but using some soft patterning to make sure stuff happens and control the RNG a bit more would probably help some of the swinginess.
-Dear lord Banishing Edge hits like a goddamn truck. G.Drgn and For the Children, eat your heart out. But Focus attacks are definitely evoking a "these are awesome" feeling now.
-Sped up Bolster is better, but still a bit eh.
-Stamina... I'm not sure about. At times it felt incredibly deep. At others it felt amazingly shallow. So we're probably in the right area?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 08:04:18 AM »
Edit 139842342424 - Sorry.

Generally agree!  Some is by intent, some is the spaghetti sticking as it will.  Wheeeee!

I noticed Noemi swinging with the flow of the battle early on.  I liked it because the flow of the fight dictates how she interacts, but she generally has an answer no matter how the battle flows.  She adapts regardless of the situation.

Enemy damage is just too low.  Three turn heal block may be better even still.  I buffed Regen duration because I wanted it to be longer than Heal Block duration.  If we go with my design direction I kind of want to make healing feel more preemptive, so I probs should have hacked together a healing item or two before messing with healing paradigm.

Related, but I was thinking of making Bleed stronger than Regen.  Would think about gutting up front damage of Putrefaction for it, but Putrefaction will scale better with stronger bleed (and will make status healing more noteworthy) so tiny violin there.  15% ticks was what I was thinking.  Want to see the impact since 45% health pool over 3'turns is a lot of damage.  Follow on balance idea is it is 2 turns instead of 3.  Same damage but front loaded and isn't cancelled by Regen then.

You still wiped to Thugs?  I thought they were over nerfed.  RNG still sounds it is a big deal?  Will talk fight design online sometime.

Banishing Edge I rocked up to 5x it's old base and was unimpressed.  Doubled it again and before I even play tested it went "fuck it lets see how it feels dialed up to 11".  I like it and a huge part of it is hitting weakness on Legion.  Again by design.  Mirek schools Disquiet like a high level Paladin stomps undead.

Bolster, 6 Stam 75% CT Reset 5 turn Vit buff, 2 turn spirit debuff?  A few other ideas in mind.  Depends how far we want to change I from core design.  Trying to avoid MT as that makes it no brainer, requires a more punishing downside or cramps on Mirek's turf.  All of this really falls in to reworking skill sets anyway though.

Stam should feel different on everyone in this dynamic.  Eirwen and Erastus are simple (opposite ends of the spectrum though).  Mirek is minimalist.  Kasia is reserving some but has options to burst use, to go on offense (possibly should make some more expensive than I did to make it more of a choice instead of filler to prevent capping on odd turns).  Noemi can burn, can stock, generally has answers to most situations.  She fluctuates between braindead and planning ahead I found (needs more of the latter though I think, when I found I was working around Focus with her I liked it more).  I really liked the way I found her switching up spells a lot.  I didn't find a rhythm to it though.  Bartol needs work.

Apologies for random spelling and stuff.  This was half a phone post and picking up the pieces when I got home.  Also have not caught up on chat.

Edit - Okay after catching up on chat, which skills did you think I toned up?  Honestly I left most of the mults in place outside of Erastus and FP skills.  Noemi's Crescendos feel too weak to me.  Erastus is like that by design, because he brings no control and can kind of run out of Stamina on trash if you don't ever Flare Shot (but he will kill them dead).  Edit 3 - Looking at it again, think drop his pool to 40, make Ignition cost more to make it more of a boss fight tool.  FP skills I am not sure how to change the pricing of what they are on a 40 point scale, the cost 1/5 of his total pool then but are achievable with Breather spam if he burns out.  He will hit it sooner with 10 less FP and more costly Ignition.  Hmmm, but then maybe he will burn out before the 9 turn duration of Ignition.... Need to fiddle.  Flare Shot is probably too cheap, shared with Noemi and changing it fucks with her too much.  Need to contemplate.  It works okay when he is burnt out as spammable every second turn kind of. 

Also which skills felt undercosted?  Just to know where you are coming from.

Edit 2 - Oh did anyone use Rest much?  Thoughts?

Edit 100394203948 - Maybe drop Mirek to 2 Stamina Regen.  Makes him even more Prep -> Attack oriented, but he regens more Stam than everyone because of that cycle.  Mail Cleaver is kind of eh sometimes though?  I don't know.

Someone save me from myself.  I have ideas and they are leaking everywhere.

Edit - Kasia's Evasion reduction cost 7?  Arterial Shot at 6.  2 turns worth of stam to make her attack.  Everything she does is expensive then?  Will she revert to stocking and doing nothing in cast of MT?  will she only do it in fights with MT?

How much to shave off nama stats for damage when evade works.  10%?  Edit - Post brain functioning at 100 miles an hour, this is to meet my balance point, not saying it should happen.

Boss cycles.  I don't like Shockwave being limit.  It is too high priority in the base script and you don't notice the build up too it.  Spark Cluster is 8 and so is it.  1 on Attack.  You bump up to 9 below 40%.  It is already like just under half his moves and it bumps up to a little over half.  If you were to do it I would give more spells than Spark Cluster and lower their priority as limit approaches.  Not intuitive in current design.

Save me from myself.

Edit - Legion has a Turn No. 1+1*X on Putrefaction, don't know how this works, is this longer the fight goes the more he casts it?  Or is it cast this every few turns?  Would force Focus Power every 4 or so turns, he has a neat diverse skillset under the effects of that.  More pressure.  Still RNG impact but consistent. 

Edit - Giant Enemy Bee Desecration hits for less than Legion.  Doesn't have Mag up.  Giant Enemy Bee is silly.

1+1*X makes more sense outside of the void of a table when looking to edit it.  So it is cast it on turn BLAH and then chance to cast it on multiples of that turn number?  That doesn't make sense with implementation of 1+1*X though.  Does not compute.

Legion has such a huge pool and so many chances to use everything.  He is pretty all over the shop fight potentially.  Hmmm.  Still think he is the best one?  Interesting as to what that means for what I find works and what I think it will.

I think music has helped, I am less frantic.  My dinner is ready.  I should eat.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:02:42 AM by Grefter »

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 12:46:57 PM »
I'll answer a good deal of it later, but: Enemies in this version functionally start on Turn 0.  This basically means that the "Turn 1+1*X" translates to "do not use on first turn", functionally speaking.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 07:26:50 PM »
I noticed Noemi swinging with the flow of the battle early on.  I liked it because the flow of the fight dictates how she interacts, but she generally has an answer no matter how the battle flows.  She adapts regardless of the situation.

She does have quite a few options, yeah, and I was generally doing different things with her. She's got pretty good options, all told.

Enemy damage is just too low.  Three turn heal block may be better even still.  I buffed Regen duration because I wanted it to be longer than Heal Block duration.  If we go with my design direction I kind of want to make healing feel more preemptive, so I probs should have hacked together a healing item or two before messing with healing paradigm.

A little, yeah. The more I think about it, the more I'm pretty sure these would have been cake walky with evade working. Prolly need to be tweaked up a bit more, but we'll be able to tell better once we have evade working correctly. We can prolly work some combination of adjusting durability/healing/damage, though. And, of course, it works differently in different fights.

Related, but I was thinking of making Bleed stronger than Regen.  Would think about gutting up front damage of Putrefaction for it, but Putrefaction will scale better with stronger bleed (and will make status healing more noteworthy) so tiny violin there.  15% ticks was what I was thinking.  Want to see the impact since 45% health pool over 3'turns is a lot of damage.  Follow on balance idea is it is 2 turns instead of 3.  Same damage but front loaded and isn't cancelled by Regen then.

Making Bleed a little more pimp wouldn't be bad (I've kind of been ignoring it). I'd try 15% over three turns. First Aid mostly mitigating it would be pretty sensible.

You still wiped to Thugs?  I thought they were over nerfed.  RNG still sounds it is a big deal?  Will talk fight design online sometime.

Fights were fairly close and just came down to Shockwave Burst spam or someone getting focused down early. I was finding it fairly controllable on the whole, though (Sleep Thug 1, Focus Second, Sleep Thug 2, then use Erastus debuffs defensively then offensively).

Banishing Edge I rocked up to 5x it's old base and was unimpressed.  Doubled it again and before I even play tested it went "fuck it lets see how it feels dialed up to 11".  I like it and a huge part of it is hitting weakness on Legion.  Again by design.  Mirek schools Disquiet like a high level Paladin stomps undead.

It certainly conveys the right feeling. Also illustrates how pimp buffs were (Empower + Empower (Crescendo) + Prepare net 4K damage on Legion). Might be in the right territory, though.

Bolster, 6 Stam 75% CT Reset 5 turn Vit buff, 2 turn spirit debuff?  A few other ideas in mind.  Depends how far we want to change I from core design.  Trying to avoid MT as that makes it no brainer, requires a more punishing downside or cramps on Mirek's turf.  All of this really falls in to reworking skill sets anyway though.

Prolly the latter.

Stam should feel different on everyone in this dynamic.  Eirwen and Erastus are simple (opposite ends of the spectrum though).  Mirek is minimalist.  Kasia is reserving some but has options to burst use, to go on offense (possibly should make some more expensive than I did to make it more of a choice instead of filler to prevent capping on odd turns).  Noemi can burn, can stock, generally has answers to most situations.  She fluctuates between braindead and planning ahead I found (needs more of the latter though I think, when I found I was working around Focus with her I liked it more).  I really liked the way I found her switching up spells a lot.  I didn't find a rhythm to it though.  Bartol needs work.

No real comment here yet.

Edit - Okay after catching up on chat, which skills did you think I toned up?  Honestly I left most of the mults in place outside of Erastus and FP skills.  Noemi's Crescendos feel too weak to me.  Erastus is like that by design, because he brings no control and can kind of run out of Stamina on trash if you don't ever Flare Shot (but he will kill them dead).

Definitely noticed Erastus' focus skills. Flare Shot (Crescendo) seemed stronger too.

Will finish in a bit.

Edit 3 - Looking at it again, think drop his pool to 40, make Ignition cost more to make it more of a boss fight tool.  FP skills I am not sure how to change the pricing of what they are on a 40 point scale, the cost 1/5 of his total pool then but are achievable with Breather spam if he burns out.  He will hit it sooner with 10 less FP and more costly Ignition.  Hmmm, but then maybe he will burn out before the 9 turn duration of Ignition.... Need to fiddle.  Flare Shot is probably too cheap, shared with Noemi and changing it fucks with her too much.  Need to contemplate.  It works okay when he is burnt out as spammable every second turn kind of. 

Also which skills felt undercosted?  Just to know where you are coming from.

Edit 2 - Oh did anyone use Rest much?  Thoughts?

Edit 100394203948 - Maybe drop Mirek to 2 Stamina Regen.  Makes him even more Prep -> Attack oriented, but he regens more Stam than everyone because of that cycle.  Mail Cleaver is kind of eh sometimes though?  I don't know.

Someone save me from myself.  I have ideas and they are leaking everywhere.

Edit - Kasia's Evasion reduction cost 7?  Arterial Shot at 6.  2 turns worth of stam to make her attack.  Everything she does is expensive then?  Will she revert to stocking and doing nothing in cast of MT?  will she only do it in fights with MT?

How much to shave off nama stats for damage when evade works.  10%?  Edit - Post brain functioning at 100 miles an hour, this is to meet my balance point, not saying it should happen.

Boss cycles.  I don't like Shockwave being limit.  It is too high priority in the base script and you don't notice the build up too it.  Spark Cluster is 8 and so is it.  1 on Attack.  You bump up to 9 below 40%.  It is already like just under half his moves and it bumps up to a little over half.  If you were to do it I would give more spells than Spark Cluster and lower their priority as limit approaches.  Not intuitive in current design.

Save me from myself.

Edit - Legion has a Turn No. 1+1*X on Putrefaction, don't know how this works, is this longer the fight goes the more he casts it?  Or is it cast this every few turns?  Would force Focus Power every 4 or so turns, he has a neat diverse skillset under the effects of that.  More pressure.  Still RNG impact but consistent. 

Edit - Giant Enemy Bee Desecration hits for less than Legion.  Doesn't have Mag up.  Giant Enemy Bee is silly.

1+1*X makes more sense outside of the void of a table when looking to edit it.  So it is cast it on turn BLAH and then chance to cast it on multiples of that turn number?  That doesn't make sense with implementation of 1+1*X though.  Does not compute.

Legion has such a huge pool and so many chances to use everything.  He is pretty all over the shop fight potentially.  Hmmm.  Still think he is the best one?  Interesting as to what that means for what I find works and what I think it will.

I think music has helped, I am less frantic.  My dinner is ready.  I should eat.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:25:23 PM by AndrewRogue »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 04:27:38 PM »
Evade Bug Fixed, Coma Fixed, Status on One Hit: Some super early thoughts.

-Enemy damage in several encounters seems a smidge too low and durability a bit too high.
-With increased durability, longer status for things like Sleep is prolly highly necessary. It is kind of a notable issue in the thug fight, where you will have to waste a lot of turns sleeping the two thugs.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 05:40:49 PM by AndrewRogue »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 02:02:43 PM »
So I posted another Grefter Version in chat and sent to Andy.  Just some rough notes.

I haven't really playtested it because it is midnight.  So if shit is wacky as fuck that is why.

Changes primarily lower HP this time on enemies, higher damage than last time, but still lower than original numbers (since Nama's version will show roughly how those numbers pan out).

I made some changes to Legion's priorities to see if him being significantly more likely to cast Mag up but only able to every third turn has an effect.

Kasia stuff recosted.  Bolster now at 75% CT, might have done something else, I forget..  her dispel now removes Vit Up instead of granting Vit DOwn.

Erastus stuff recosted slightly (very slightly) and MP pool reduced to 40.

Mirek, I buffed Mail Cleaver a bit.

Bartol, completely reworked just to see how it feels.  Sonic Boom is a finisher!  He has a spammable cheap FP Neutral move and an expensive good status expensive FP boosting move.  Trying to find a niche.

Eirwen I reverted to 3 Stamina pool.

Noemi is untouched largely.

I tried to make items.  They break on the script though, left them in memory to see what I was thinking about.  Shitty regen healing item uses the second regen state we have which is 10%.  HP Block healing item does like 1/3 health, you can use it in a pinch, but it is probably not a good answer.  Heals roughly the same scale as the shitty regen item but counters burst better.

Sleep duration set high.  Stun duration set low.  Ignition duration blown way out.  Tempted to buff the status honestly.  Bleed set to 15%. (Forgot to nerf Putrefaction need to watch out for it).

I also played around with some eventing to see how that works.