Register

Author Topic: Disquiet (Working Title) - Writing Dump  (Read 3954 times)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Disquiet (Working Title) - Writing Dump
« on: July 18, 2012, 06:36:58 PM »
Just getting out chops back and working to sort out character voices and thought processes. These are all rough, quickly written, and demonstrate more then a little rust, but comments are appreciated.

Noemi

“…what is really holding back the advancement of our studies regarding the Disquiet is the ability to study what I would consider ‘true’ Disquiet,” Noemi Seredova spoke easily and confidently as she introduced her thesis to the listeners.

Despite the immense size of the room and the hundred or so seats, there were only three people attending, all watching her attentively from the front row. Of course, anyone familiar with the Imperial Practitioner Academy would have instantly recognized them as the masters of the school.

“Our understanding of the phenomenon known as the Disquiet, as well as how it functions and reacts to our magic, is formulated entirely from our experience with Disquiet generated by modern practitioners and modern forms of Dissonance.” A brief clearing of her throat barely halted her delivery as she continued, “While we have been able to make incredible advances in techniques used to mitigate, weaken, and control the movement of the Disquiet, we have remained unable to distinguish the actual cause behind the phenomenon. We understand the correlation between the use of Dissonance and the generation of the Disquiet, but the actual mechanisms that cause it remain a mystery to us. In a sense, we are attempting to treat a disease by attacking the symptoms.”

She let the words rest in the air. She wanted the three practitioners to have time to digest that.

The man in the center, Achim, was the first to speak. “You believe that the Disquiet generated by our use of Dissonance is not… real?”

“I believe that, in some way, it is lacking. By studying a more ancient source of Disquiet-“

The woman next to Achim, Professor Dana, cut Noemi off, earning looks from her companions, “You cannot be suggesting that we consider further investigations of the Throne of the First.”

Noemi quickly concealed her frown. She didn’t appreciate the interruption, nor did the tone sit well with her. “Yes, I am. The history of the Throne of the First dates back to our inception myths. There is little historical record of the island. The volume and intensity of the Disquiet is so far beyond the scope of anything that modern practitioners have ever generated that it is not surprising many people believe it was actually created by a god. What I do know, however, is that if we are going to ever find a way to fully control the Disquiet, we need to fully understand it. The Empire’s failures to adequately-“

“The failures to properly study the Throne of the First are because of the phenomenal dangers presented by the location, Practitioner Seredova!” Professor Dana barked fiercely. “While I respect the contributions you have made to the study of the Disquiet in recent years-“

“Dana. Let her finish,” Achim said.

The older woman nodded curtly.

“Continue, Practitioner Seredova.”

“Thank you, Master Achim.” Noemi took a deep breath. She had practiced the delivery of this proposal a hundred times. She had expected interruptions, so restarting was of no difficulty. “I believe that the Empire’s failures to adequately explore the Throne of the First, as well as the failures of our leading practitioners to appropriately study the Disquiet on the island, are a severe oversight.”

Noemi took a deep breath. Moment of truth. “I wish to launch an expedition to the Throne of the First to explore the. While I understand that previous attempts to explore the island have ended disasterously, building on the existing stigma of the location, I believe that a properly equipped and prepared team should be able to safely explore the whole of the island. I have prepared a number of plans for how to approach the expedition, as well as what I would require from the Academy in terms of support and funding, should you like to see my proposal in detail.”

Silence flooded the room as Noemi stopped speaking. The three attendants exchanged glances, hesitating. It was Achim who first broke the silence.

“Noemi, while you have proven yourself repeatedly as an exceptional scholar, what makes you believe you are qualified to lead such an expedition?”

“Because, when it comes to practical understanding of the Disquiet, I am the very best at the Academy. In addition, as I’m sure Professor Dana can confirm, my skills in combat related Dissonance are also quite impressive. I am uniquely suited to lead such an expedition.”

“And you are aware that previous expeditions have resulted in the death or madness of almost every member of the expedition?”

“Yes, Master Achim. I have studied what little information we have regarding them extensively and proposed several solutions to what I believe were their primary mistakes in my documents. If you would like-”

“No, that will be quite all right, Practitioner Seredova.” He shifted in his seat, looking to the two others. The glance between them confirmed exactly what Noemi had suspected. “While we appreciate the enthusiasm shown in this proposal, and respect your capabilities as a graduate from this academy, we cannot, in good faith, endorse this proposal.”

Professor Dana nodded. “Indeed. It would be a waste to allow a practitioner of your caliber to endanger themselves on such a foolhardy expedition.”

“That’s ridiculous!” Noemi snapped.  “A practitioner of my caliber is exactly what we need on this sort of expedition!  The Empire has been far too conservative in-“

“Practitioner Noemi! You forget yourself!” Achim snapped. “While we are appreciative of the services you have rendered for the Empire, you will remember that you are speaking to the heads of this academy.”

Noemi swallowed her annoyance and frustration, nodding curtly. “Yes, Master Achim. Is there any way I could convince you to reconsider?”
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:26:47 PM by AndrewRogue »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Re: Disquiet (Working Title) - Writing Dump
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »
Kasia

Kasia sat quietly, humming to herself as she rummaged in the cool box, looking for something to snack on. She and Noemi were supposed to head in to town for a party and dinner, but her proposal was taking a lot to deliver than she had expected.

She jerked upright, letting the lid fall as the door to their small flat slammed behind her. “Ah, Noemi you-” but she lapsed into silence as her friend stalked past her. “I... take it your presentation didn't go well.”

“Idiots! The smartest bunch of idiots I've ever seen!”

Kasia cringed, reopening the cool box. Noemi wouldn't let her get a word in edgewise, so she opted to just listen.

“I can't believe this! I explained it! I laid out the plans! I had details about where every previous expedition had gone wrong! I told them why this needed to be done! And they still turned me down! Idiots! They have to realize that current research has stalled for a reason...”

Kasia continued rummaging in the box. It wasn't that she didn't want to listen. It was just that she had heard this rant before. Often. Whenever one of her proposals was rejected. This time she was in full form, though.

“...this sort of idiocy among the upper echelons is the exact reason-”

“Do you need some tea or something to drink?”

Noemi heaved a massive sigh, ending her rant, before dropping into a chair. “Yeah.”

Kasia fished the pitcher out of the box and set it on the table as she fetched a cup. “Well, I guess at least we can go hit the town tonight? Give you a chance to get your head on straight again before you look for a new idea?”

“No. Not this time. This was my best idea. This is the right one. If I can study the Throne, I'm sure I can come up with an answer.”

“Well-”

“I'm going to do it myself, Kasia. I'll do this without them.”

The pitcher of tea jerked, spilling on the counter. “What are you talking about?”

“The only thing I need the Academy for is funding. If I can find someone else to help me instead, then I can take care of everything else myself.” She smiled at Kasia, watching as she cleaned up the mess.

“Who are you going to get to help you, though? I mean, I saw your plans. You needed quite a bit of money, didn't you?” She tossed the cloth aside as she finished mopping up the spilled liquid. Noemi had to be kidding, right?

“I'm going to ask Uncle Erastus. If anyone has the money, it's going to be him.”

Kasia hesitated. That was true. Their “uncle” Erasttus Sebrle was one of the last two surviving members of what was once the wealthiest family in all of the Empire. If anyone could afford to do what Noemi needed done, it would probably be him. Still... “Haven't you always wanted to avoid asking him for help like that?”

She nodded, accepting the tea. “I have, but if the Academy and the Empire won't help, then I'll do it this way. Still, I need to make sure everything is perfect.”

“Well, we can get started tomo-”

“I really need you to help me out tonight, Kasia. I need to revise my drafts to present them to uncle Erastus. I know you wanted to go out and have fun tonight but...”

Kasia smiled tiredly. “Yeah, no, I understand. This is important, can't wait.” She poured herself a cup of the tea. “What do you need me to do?”

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 07:24:59 PM »
Erastus

Erastus sat quietly on the bench, enjoying the feeling of the sun on his skin. The sound of children playing in the artificial pond in the center of the park - no doubt trying to escape the oppression of the heat - was relaxing. There was something about children that put Erastus at peace.

He smiled, opening his eyes.

The sound of the Flow was so quiet to him now, but he still had tricks up his sleeve. A small exertion of his will, a gesture of his hand and there it was. Hovering just above the ground was a flame shaped like a wolf and another shaped like a man with a sword.

They were miniscule figures with little detail, but they moved fluidly, dancing around each other in mock battle. It was so easy for him to create this little puppet show, yet he doubted there was another person in the entire capital who could duplicate the feat with the ease he did. Even in his age and his with his weakened Sense, his skills dwarfed those around him.

His body heaved with a silent laughter as the spectacle finally caught the attention of the children around him. While many chose to stay in the pond and continue splashing, many of them came out and gathered around, cooing with amazement as the figures of flame fought each other.

"That's amazing!" A young boy practically chirped.

"How're you doing that?"

"So cool!"

Erastus smiled, scratching his beard with one hand, the other sustaining the fiery puppets. "This is nothing. Would you kids like to see something really cool?" Their cheers were all the answer he needed. Bringing his other hand around, the flames suddenly expanded, whipping past the children - who shrieked with delight - coalascing into a many headed serpent behind them.

The poor warrior charged the beast, but he was nothing more than a tiny man. The creature grabbed him in one of its many maws, tossing him into the air and consuming him.

The creature roared, at least as much as it could being made of flame, then dissipated, leaving only embers drifting on the wind.

The children all clapped. It was to be expected, that was the nature of spectacle. And soon they would lose interest, the little warrior who gave his life all forgotten.

Erastus smiled, watching as the children, discerning that he was finished, began to disperse. One, the young boy who had initially spoken up, remained behind, however. "Sorry kid, I'm only doing one show today."

"But I wanted to know what happened to the knight! I mean he couldn't have just got eaten like that, right? If he got all eaten up, then who stopped the monster?"

Erastus looked at the child. "Well, no one, of course. If the brave knight gets all gobbled up, then there's one to save the day. The monster eats him, then it eats everyone else." He laughed. “It eats up everyone and everything.”

The kid frowned. “That's  not a very happy ending.”

“Nope!” Erastus grinned broadly. “Not all stories get happy endings!”

“That's dumb.”

“Yeah. It is kind of dumb.” Erastus rustled in his coin pouch and extracted a small coin. “So go get some ice cream.”

Erastus watched as the kid ran off. He laughed.

Someday the kid would understand. For today, though, he could have ice cream.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 07:26:02 PM »
Mirek

Mirek sat lazily by the side of the pond, watching the fish that swam just below the surface, clumping near the edge in anticipation of food. This small pond was one of the few things that he himself still managed at the manor house.

The back of the manor was cast in brillant colors as the setting sun dipped below the horizon, sinking into the unending sea. It appeared to do little for him as he listlessly cast grains off rice into the water, watching the fish surface and fight for the morsels.

Without turning, he spoke, “Yes,  Eirwen?” He tossed another handful of rice into the pond.

“I... am sorry for bothering you master Mirek. I just wished to inform you that dinner was ready.”

He sighed. “Could you-”

A  tray clanked on the flagstones beside him. “I have already brought it out for you, master Mirek.”

“Ah.” He threw the last handful of rice he had, before he finally turned back from the pond. His hand reached for the sticks  on the tray but he caught himself. “Thank you, Eirwen. Would you have a seat as well? I can't well eat with you standing there.”

He was glad to see that her hesitation lasted only  for a moment. “You really should eat inside, master Mirek,” she muttered. “Even though things have changed, there is no reason to abandon all pretense of manners.”

He shrugged. “I like it better out here. Besides, there's nothing worthwhile in there.”

Eirwen sighed deeply. “Then I waste an awful lot of my time cleaning it for nothing.”

“Probably.” He didn't even need to catch her gaze to feel the heat. “It is a good thing, Eirwen. Everyone'd love the way things look inside. You've done splendidly.”

Dinner was little more then finely spiced rice, vegetables, and fish, but it tasted good. That was a constant in his life, at least. He pushed the tray back. “Eat, Eirwen. You know it makes me uncomfortable having people watch me like that.” Rinsing the chopsticks – at least insomuch as could be done by running tea over them – he offered them back to her.

She hesitated for a moment. “...well I certainly don't want to do it now.” She sighed, taking the instruments and wiping them off.  “Have you given consideration to the letter from the council-”

“No,” Mirek snapped, irritation coloring his voice. “Nor will I.”

“Of course, master Mirek,” she mumbled, taking a piece of fish for herself.

Mirek lapsed into silence. The Noble Council could rot. The Merchant Council could rot. The Empress could rot. The entire Empire could fade into the silence for all he cared. They- A sudden tug at his hair broke his thoughts. Anger flooded through him at the interruption as he turned, but it balked at Eirwen's bright, brilliant smile.

“At the very least, if you are not going to act it, you should look the part of a handsome young noble instead of some dirty street vagabond. You will let me take care of your hair, yes, master Mirek?”

Halted, the anger flowed out of him. “Fine. If you must. I suppose I've let it go long enough.”

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 04:15:44 AM »
Eirwen

Eirwen hummed quietly to herself as she swept the hallway. it really didn’t matter that there was barely any, or that Master Mirek did not care if it was done, or even if the house had no entertained guests in months: it was her job and she would insure it was done.

A knock at the back entrance cut into the midst of her melody.

Shouldering the broom, she moved down the hallway quickly and, after checking for watchers, vaulted a banister to speed the trip downstairs slightly. She managed to pull the door open, just as the man waiting there was raising his hand to knock at the door. She controlled her breathing carefully, barely breathing harder than normal.

“Heya, Eirwen. Delivery,” the man said, gesturing at the bags on the ground beside him. She could see the bulged with the shapes of vegetables, while a single metal box, covered in sigils, would contain the fish she’d asked for. “Need help getting it in?”

“No, I’ll be able to take care of it myself, thank you.”

He hesitated. “You sure?”

“Yes, I’m sure,” she said, offering a smile. “Thank you for the offer, Artur, but no thank you.”

“You know, Eirwen. I could help you find a job somewhere in the capital. Wouldn’t be great pay, but you wouldn’t go hungry. And you wouldn’t-”

“I have a job already, Artur,” she said, her tone remaining level. She did. It was a job that she’d once taken some degree of pride in too.

“Look, no one would blame you-”

“Enough!” Eirwen snapped, her voice breaking the mildly cheerful tone she’d held it in. “Master Mirek is a respectable gentleman, and I am happy to remain his loyal valet.”

Artur shrugged. “All right. First knows I tried. But I’m telling you, Eirwen. You don’t get out of this house, you’re going to be as crazy as that Guardian trash you-”

“Shut up!” Eirwen said, her fingers tightening around the broom’s handle. Her voice echoed in the empty halls behind her. She quickly took a deep breath, composing herself. “Please ask your company to send the delivery with another man next week.”

“Whatever,” Arthur grunted, turning sharply on his heel. He muttered something under his breath as he walked away.

Eirwen’s face reddened. She doubted he’d meant for her to hear, but she had.

“Guardian loving whore.”

She took a moment to breathe deeply, taking control of herself. She didn’t want to admit it as she picked up one of the sacks, but Artur had hit a nerve. Despite her family’s loyalty to the Sebrle’s and her own to Mirek, there were times that she had considered walking out, times when she had wondered if she was wasting her life, serving what was, more or less, a ghost.

When the Sebrle’s had been in their prime, she felt like she was, at least in her own little way, to something greater than herself. That she was somehow making a tiny difference in the world with what little ability she had.

But now...

Her footsteps echoed in the empty hallways as she dragged the sacks to the kitchen, two at a time. Even this small summer home used to be filled with sound, a dozen different servants running about, working to keep the house in shape and make sure everything was attended to.

Now...

Now she didn’t really have time to worry about it. Dinner needed to be prepared, she still needed to finish sweeping upstairs, and any of the other half dozen little things around the house that needed to be dealt with.

That was really all she could do, in the end.

She wondered if that’d be enough.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 05:31:47 AM »
Isolde

Isolde’s boots crunched over broken glass as she walked through the back alleys of the little shanty town. It had once been a thriving seaside port, but the Disquiet from a nearby plantation had stretched into the sea, transforming it into a hellish seascape that most captains would prefer to avoid.

The town had died thereafter. Now it was just a home to those too stupid or those too poor to move. Without efforts to contain the Disquiet, it’d soon consume this little island as well. Then even this poor shanty town would be no more.

Unfortunately, the Noble Council had more important things to worry about that, and the Mercantile Council was too busy sucking up to them. This town would be just another destroyed by the Guardians in the end.

She waved a hand lazily in the air, her shadow dancing in the torchlight. The gestures were simple, but so was the form of Dissonance that she had devoted so much of her time to mastering; simple, but powerful, gestures that generated brutally efficient results. She timed the gestures, listening to the sound of the Flow change subtly around her, the harmony of the ground beneath her feet distorting.

A moment longer then...

She turned, her arms rising in one powerful movement. The man behind her, his body tensed to draw his sheathed blade was taken by surprise. The momentary delay in his attack was too much; a thin shaft of solid stone erupted near his feet, bypassing his guard entirely as it slammed into his gut, knocking the air from his lungs as he was lifted off the ground.

Even after the pillar crumbled a moment later and the man began to drop towards the ground, Isolde took no chances. In one smooth motion she brought both her fists down in a powerful hammer blow that accelerated the man’s decent to the ground.

She kicked his sword away, then hefted him up and slammed the battered and dazed man against the wall, bracing him against the wall so as to lock his arms. “You are not the one I am looking for, so I will give you exactly one chance to tell me what I need. One.”

“Uh?” The man’s grunt indicated that his brain was still rattling around inside his head.

Isolde patiently waited for a moment for his eyes to focus

“This is your one chance. Tell me who your other contacts in the city are. I will also need to know how to find them. Answer these questions and you will be take prisoner, officially, by the Imperial Guard. Don’t, and I will bury you. Anything other than answers will not be tolerated.”

“My... contacts?” His voice still indicated a certain degree of wooziness, but he’d clearly understood the question.

“Your contacts, Guardian. We know that you and your ilk have been moving as of late. I would like to know what it is all about.”

The man’s movement was quick and incredibly powerful as he broke Isolde’s grip, but she’d expected it. She easily ducked his punch, unhooking her axe and slamming the haft of the weapon into his gut in one smooth motion. She didn’t even wait to see the result before she adjusted her weapon and brought it up into his chin, sending his head cracking back into the wall.

You couldn’t be too careful with a Guardian. Which is why she grabbed the front of his shirt and tossed the man roughly to the ground, stopping with her axe above his neck.

“That was not the correct answer. You get one last chance, Guardian.”

The man managed a wheezing cough, a little bit of blood trickling out from the corner of his mouth. “You can rot, practitioner. Just like what you’ve don-”

Isolde didn’t bother to let him finish. “It isn’t like your lot has done much better for it,” she muttered, dropping to a knee beside the corpse.

It wasn’t worth it, and interrogating  Guardians had rarely been successful. Besides, she thought, rummaging through his pockets, he should have... that. She stuffed the papers into the pouch at her side.

She sighed. While another body in the back alleys certainly wouldn’t be noticed here, it was still bad form. A swift gesture cut a deep chasm into which the body fell, while another brought it back together. A little turning of the topsoil and it was like  nothing had happened.

She holstered the axe and walked back down the alley.

Time to get her head down for a bit.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 04:57:11 AM »
Katarine

Katarine didn’t even bother to look up as the door to the inn room opened.

The brief knock beforehand, a series of three short raps, had let her know it was Isolde, saving her the precious moments it would have taken to look up from the echo sigils she was engraving into her crystals. Without constant upkeep, these incredibly delicate instruments would fail to work, or, worse, backfire.

The complexity of the echo sigils used on these crystals was far more complicated than most echo items. Most such objects, especially the most common of them, like cool boxes, relied on incredibly simple spells that generated mild effects. Focus crystals, however, generated incredibly powerful blasts of raw energy on demand.

Handling and maintaining a number of them was very difficult. Worse, because of the power of the effects that they tended to generate and the Disquiet they exuded doing so, their echo sigils tended to wear out rather quickly.

She had to spend pretty much every night making sure their alteration of the Flow remained accurate and stable.

“Are you almost finished with your upkeep, Katarine?”

“Getting there,” she said, setting her second crystal aside.

Isolde nodded, setting her pack on the floor as she sat heavily on the bed. “Take your time. I found the Guardian we were looking for. Or, I suppose I should say, he found me.”

Katarine hesitated as her hand reached for the crystal. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah. I’ll want you to look on these papers that he had. They might have a clue as to who the others were.”

She didn’t bother to ask how the Guardian was. If Isolde hadn’t brought him back, then there was only one answer.

Isolde rummaged through them, sighing heavily. “Unfortunately, it looks like a grocery list, standard ‘Cruelty of the Empire’ pamphlets, job offers... might be code, but nothing I’m picking up on.”

“Well, if there’s something to it,” Kat mumbled, her fingers tracing the worn light of the sigil, “Then I’m sure I’ll be able to find it.”

“Don’t bother with it tonight. You need to sleep as soon as you’re done.”

“Iso-”

“That is an order, Katarine. You will get a good night’s sleep and wake at a reasonable time tomorrow morning. I can’t have you going through every mission so haggard.”

Pulling her hand back to rub her eyes for a moment, Katarine nodded. “Yes, Commander Isolde.”

“Good.” She shifted on the bed, but Katarine had already returned to focusing complete on her work. It was distressing to think that this was the best use of her talents. There was no shame in it, of course. Echo crystals were incredibly powerful when used in unison. It was just the sort of weapon that labelled you as a specific kind of person. The kind who sat up all night, never sleeping, getting horrific bags under her eyes that required make-up to deal with...

But that was who she was, and it was pretty much all she had in life.

An orange hit the desk beside her and she started, causing her to jump slightly.

“Eat that as soon as you finish that crystal,” Isolde... well. Katarine would say she suggested, but Isolde really didn’t make suggestions. She told you what to do in a polite tone of voice.

“I will,” Kat mumbled, turning to her sense. This crystal sounded like a discordant mess. It’d take her at least an hour to sort it out.

Isolde must have spotted the  crestfallen look, as she corrected herself quickly. “In fact, go ahead and eat it now. You look like hell.”

And she was running low on make-up. “Think we’ll be heading by a major port soon?”

“Yes. If you don’t find anything in these notes, we’ll head out the day after tomorrow.”

Kat nodded. Her fingers began to trace the lines she needed along the body of the crystal, a hundred tiny webs that would create harmony out of this mess. It should probably bother her that that thought gave her a warm little shiver inside.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 07:33:18 AM »
Bartol

Bartol leaned against the bow of his ship, staring over the length of the sea. He could see the clouds building over the neighboring islands. No doubt it’d be rough sailing around them. He took a deep breath, savoring the scent of the sea air. It was good to be free.

“Bartol.”

Mostly free.

“Yes, Ms. Stolz? Or,” he said, dropping his voice playfully, “Should that be Commander Stolz on this occasion?”

“Isolde would suffice, I imagine.”

“Right then,” he pushed off the railing, finally turning around. “Well then, Isolde, what can I do for you today?” He gestured around at the people working on his ship, all of them, quite obviously, busying themselves at the fringes of earshot.  “As you can see, I have quite a busy ship with many things to do. I can’t stand about talking all day.”

“Very funny, Bartol,” she said, offering an honest smile. “Nevertheless, I won’t keep you long.  I just wanted to ask you if there has been any information about the Guardians that you’ve heard.”

“Why would I have heard anything about them?” He pulled his hat off, wiping away the sweat that beaded his brow. “They really haven’t been able to do anything by lay low for the last few years. I was pretty sure they;d, more or less, died out.” He gestured towards the railing, inviting her to stand with him.

She accepted, lowering her voice as she spoke again, “Don’t play dumb with me, Bartol. I don’t have the time for it.”

“Got to keep It up in front of the boys, you know.” The look he got sent a shiver down his spine. Apparently she was running low on time. “All right, all right. Word around the ports is that they’re recruiting again. Don’t know what for, mind you, but I’ve heard whisperings of so-and-so’s son going off to join the Guardians.”

Isolde frowned. “And there’s a reason to actually believe that?”

“Well… public opinion is starting to shift out here in the solos. Between the Empire leaving them well enough alone and the encroaching Disquiet, they’ve got a lot of reason to hate the Empress and her ilk. It wouldn’t take more than a couple of apparent Guardians to start ralluing some of the outliers behind them, so long as they promised change.”

Isolde let out an annoyed grunt. “Idiots.”

Batrol frowned as he stared out towards the storm clouds. “That isn’t really fair now, is it Isolde? Sure, the Guardians started this, but it isn’t like the Empire has been here for these people.”

“Watch it, Bartol.”

“I know, I know.” He raised his hands off the railing defensively. “I’m just saying what we both know. The Empress, may she always be heard, isn’t to blame for this. Doesn’t mean it ain’t a problem, though.”

“Do you have any proof?”

Batrol shook his head. “I wish I did. I’ll give them all this: if something is going on, they’re doing a very good job of keeping it quiet. Like I said, I catch occasional whispers, but they sound like your regular street rumors, right up there with the First has returned and that the Disquiet actually gives you superhuman abilities.”

Isolde snorted.

“Look, I’ll get a message to the usuals if I hear anything for sure, but would you mind if I asked you to leave so I could set out? Sorry I can’t be more help, but this is pretty much all I’ve got.” he met her gaze levelly, daring her to question whether he’d told her everything he knew.

“Where are you looking to put in next?”

He sighed. No dodging that one. “Sebrle, then I think we’ll dock at Brandislav for a while. We’ve been running cargo way too long without meaningful landfalls. Me and everyone else could use some shore leave.”

She nodded. “All right. Get a message through once you arrive in Brandislav. If anything’s going on, there’s a good chance you’ll hear about it in Sebrle.”

He didn’t like the emphasis she put on the word “you.” She was right, but that didn’t make him feel better about it. It wasn’t like he went looking for trouble these days. He was just exceptionally good at finding it.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 05:42:28 AM »
Djai

Djai sat quietly in the bar, the beer in front of him disappearing at a steady, if slow, rate. “I don’t like this.”

“Then order something else,” Orienna said, her voice practically tinkling.

He cringed. “That was funnier the first time. It kind of lost its lustre after the fourth.”

“Then stop saying it already! I got that you don’t like the job, but it isn’t going to go away if you keep complaining!” Orienna pulled a loaf of bread from the basket in front of them. “By the First, I hate the taste of things made from plantation food.”

“The taste of hypocrisy too much for you?”

She rolled her eyes. “When you don’t have a choice, you do what you have to.”

“Yeah, of course.” His eyes scanned the crowded bar uneasily. It was nearly stuffed to capacity, every table filled and every spot at the counter occupied, but he still felt exposed. It was being tin the forsake capital! That was stupid! Somebody, somehow, would recognize them. It was stupid to worry about - the last three years had changed their appearance enough that neither would be particularly recognizable, even if they had been major enough players in the Betrayal to be well known.

Still, he was attached to his head, and if they got caught, he doubted he’d be able to convince the authorities of his good intentions.

The looks Orienna gave him sent a shiver down his spine. There was something uncanny in the depths of her eyes. He worried that, sometimes, she could see right through him. The day she managed to do that would be the day he died. He cleared his throat, downing the last of the beer. “Anyway, are you sure about this? Boss will not be happy if he finds out you talked to him.”

“Yes, I’m sure. And if he insists on being a stubborn idiot... well...” she faltered, but recovered masterfully. “Then I’m trusting you to make arrangements. Make it look good.”

Djai hesitated as he reached for a slice of the bread. He didn’t like this. He’d respected the Sebrle family quite a bit. They may have run plantations, but they did it as close to right as they could have. Moreso then anyone, the Guardians had betrayed them; the one group that truly believed in the Guardians, slaughtered when they least expected it.

That was when it’d gone wrong. At that moment, it transformed from a revolution into the Betrayal. That was also the moment where Djai had made his choice. Unfortunately, this choice required him to do things like this sometimes.

“You can do it, right Djai? We’re counting on you!”

He took a bite of the bread to disguise his concern. “Yeah. I know a few people that we can trust. If he really has weakened, they should be able to handle him.”

“Good!” Despite her complaints about the bread, she licked her fingers to clean the last of the butter off of them. Willing to kill hundreds... thousands... more? to end the use of Dissonance, still willing to lick her fingers clean after eating food prepared on a Dissonant plantation. Willing to take food right out of the mouth of the very people who were hurt most by what they did.

They really were disgusting people.

“You should wipe that scary look off your face. Not everyone can make the sacrifices we did so easily. He’s still valuable to the cause. Just trust me, all right? Get another drink if you need to relax. You’ll get your shot at him if it doesn’t work.”

Yet, somehow, you really think he’ll do it. We killed his family, you ran him through, and you think he’ll listen to reason. You are crazy. You really are. And I had to get paired with you. “Just promise me one thing, Orienna. We’re already skirting Tiercek’s orders. You cannot mention anything about the order. You can get him to follow you, but that’s it.”

She frowned, those eyes of hers meeting his. “You are ordering me around, Djai?”

He swallowed. “No.”

“Good. But I suppose that is a reasonable suggestion.”

He couldn’t help but notice that her hand moved away from the dagger hidden on her. He always say, as it were, the dagger. One day it was going to get him killed.

That’d be unfortunately ironic.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 02:05:47 AM »
Incredibly sloppy but still in the works. Incredibly, incredibly sloppy.

Fall of the Sebrle 1

Blood.

That was the first thing that struck Eirwen about the scene.

All of the blood.

She felt bile and terror rise through her body, but she swallowed both back, gripping the iron-shod staff tighter and making sure she could feel the small daggers tucked at her side.

“By the First…” the soldier house guard beside her muttered quietly, before he turned and gave silent orders to the men beside him to spread out.

What had once been the entry hall to a small manor house now looked like a war zone.  The walls scorched, statuary and art torn and rent, and, as much as she wished to ignore them, the bodies of the few men that had accompanied the Sebrle’s to the plantation that lay in pools of their own blood.

Josiah, leader of the Sebrle House Guard, gently rolled one of the bodies over while his men checked the others for signs of life. Despite wishing otherwise, Eirwen could not tear her gaze away from his wound: a single, gaping cut that had opened the man from hip to sternum.

When he had wanted to show off, she had seen Mirek Sebrle make similar cuts in solid stone. There was no doubt. This was the work of a Guardian.

“Captain Josiah…”

“I can see it,” he snarled. “Bastards. Even here…” he bit back whatever else he had to say. “We need to find the family,” he said, hesitating for only a moment before he quickly began assigning orders, splitting up the dozen guards to systematically cover the house.

If they’re still alive, Eirwen’s mind supplied the missing words. The silence of the house implied that nothing that was here would be found alive. With the boat still docked at the harbor, the only place to flee would be into the plantation where they would be easy pickings for the Guardians or the Disquiet…

This was unfathomable. The Guardians of the Sebrle plantation were well treated. They were respected by the people of Sebrle. Selena had seen to it that the family’s practitioners and the Guardians worked hand-in-hand to make it the most efficient, safest plantation in the Empire. To turn against them was… it was impossible!

“Eirwen, I would like you to stay-“

“Captain Josiah” she said quietly. “My father has trained me to serve as a valet to the family, and he has trained me to serve in the same capacity as he did.” She took a deep breath, forcing away the quiver of fear in her hands. “I can serve as well as your men.”

The older man nodded. “Fine. Go with Tobias and Janette to check the backrooms and the rear of the manor house. I will lead the rest of the men upstairs. Everyone will report back here in ten.”

She nodded.

Just like her father, it was her duty to protect the members of the Sebrle family. Her hearbeat quickened with concern as her thoughts slipped to Master Mirek. He himself was a member of the Guardians, and it was impossible that he would have participated in this slaughter. Out, somewhere in the depths of the plantation, could he have been…?

She pushed the thoughts from her mind. Maste Mirek was incredibly skilled in the Guardian Arts. There were few in the ranks of the Guardians who could equal him. He would be all right. Despite the slaughter in the entry hall, it was impossible that the family could have come to harm. The only one among them who was not a practitioner was Mistress Selena, and Eirwen’s father would insure no harm came to her.

It was impossible for the Guardians to have harmed them.

Every room they found was much in the same state as the entry hall, the battle appearing to have raged through every room. Yet hope rose in the hearts of the three as, among the bodies of the house guards, they began to find Guardians as well. The enemy – the primal instincts within her couldn’t think of them as anything else yet – hadn’t escaped unscathed.

“It was clear it was an ambush,” Tobias growled, harshly rolling one of the bodies aside. “Look at the way the guards are spread out. They didn’t have the chance to rally to a more defensible position. I knew we shouldn’t have trusted them! When the ones in the east-“

“We need to focus, Tobias,” Eirwen spoke quietly and much more calmly then the pounding of her heart in her chest should have allowed. “The family is depending on us.”

He grit his teeth, but nodded sharply. “Right. Let’s go!”

Pushing out towards the back of the house, the hairs on the back of Eirwen’s neck prickled. The sensation that someone was watching her grew stronger as they neared the back entrance of the house. She tried to push it out of her mind. They were near the plantation, so there was no doubt that some amount of the Disquiet would reach this far.

It was trying to prey on her heightened tension. She had to keep calm. That was what Master Mirek had told her. You had to push away negative emotions, or the Disquiet would feed on them, growing stronger and prying into your mind.

If only it were that easy.

Tobias gestured care as they reached the door that would lead to the rear entrance, a creak echoing on the other side of the door. Eirwen shifted her grip on the staff, taking one of her knives in hand.

Tobias shoved the door open, and both women stepped through the door quickly, ready to intercept an enemy. What they found instead was the rear entrance. The once massive room, used to temporarily hold deliveries, had become even larger with the rear wall almost entirely blown out, the evening sun shining through the gaping hole.

Even a part of the ceiling had collapsed. The floor had deep furrows torn in it. This had definitely been the main-

The sound of shifting stone caught her attention, causing her and the soldiers to whirl towards the back corner. Her knife arm stopped just short of launching its projectile.

“Eirwen…”

For a moment her heart rose at the sound of her father’s voice. “Fath-!” she started, but the triumphant cry died in her throat as she saw the bodies beside him.

“Janette. Fetch Captain Josiah.” Tobias voice was somber.

“But…”

“Just do it, Janette.”

She looked towards the bodies one last time before nodding.

“Eirwen, could you…”

She shook her head, fighting the tears welling inside her. “They’re dead. All of them.” Bodies that looked like that wouldn’t be alive.

“Can you move, Trefor?”

“No. My legs are broken.” His voice was listless and he didn’t look towards either of them. He seemed unable to take his eyes away from the bodies. “When the ceiling fell, Matous managed to shield me from the worst. I got pinned underneath.”

Girding herself, she stepped forward between the bodies. The blood underneath her shoe felt sticky. “We have a medic with us, but-“

“Don’t bother.” He suddenly seemed much more animated, his eyes locking to hers.

“Dad, is Mirek…”

He closed his eyes, leaning his head back against the wall. “You and the guards must head out to the fields. Master Mirek was supposed to be patrolling the grounds with Orienna when the attack happened.”

“Then he could still-“

“Yes.”

Eirwen’s heart pounded in her chest, clinging to the slim hope that, somehow, he might still be alive. She had to cling to that slim hope, or the bodies at her feet would drag her into the depths of despair. There would be time for tears after she had located him.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:08:07 AM by AndrewRogue »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 02:06:40 AM »
Fall of the Sebrle 2

The captain had sent half of them out to the plantation, while the other half remained to secure the manor house and dock, as well as treat her father and get the whole of the story from him.

It might not have been enough.

The fading sunlight was already making it difficult to trek through the narrow lines between the paddies filled with veritable fields of rice. Worse, a thick, oily fog hung in the air, clinging to their bodies as they walked.

Her stomach rolled as her body tried to panic, kept only barely in check by her will. Control was the key, The soldiers with her weren’t doing as well.

“By the First,” Tobias growled, his eyes flicking back and forth between the rows of rice. I feel like something is following us. Dammit, this is just the Disquiet, right?”

“It is,” Eirwen said quietly, trying to keep her voice level. It didn’t really sound convincing.

“Empty noise,” Tobias swore, his head jerking to the side. “How do people work with this feeling? Feels like a monster could just appear out of thin air and tear my throat out.”

“It could,” Janette mumbled.

Eirwen took a deep breath to calm herself, an act which she instantly regretted. There was the stench of death in the air.

“Tobias!” A shout came from down one of the paddy aisles. “By the First, get up here!”

The squad quickly, the cloying feeling of the Disquiet forgotten for a moment, as they hastened to reach the soldier.

The discovery was not a good one. The bodies of at least a dozen plantation workers were strewn about the area.

There were no words for the anger that flashed through Tobias’ eyes. “All right, we can’t do this this way. Everyone spread out! Check for any survivors! Finding Master Mirek is still our priority, but if there are plantation workers still alive, I want them found too!” He drew his sword and started gesturing in directions for people to head. “Stay in earshot of each other! Don’t enter any of the buildings alone!”

The soldiers nodded. Tobias cast a glance towards Eirwen. “If you want, you can-”

“I’ll be fine,” Eirwen said. “Master Mirek taught me a lot about the Disquiet. I’ll be okay.”

He grunted and nodded. “Same goes for you then. I respect your position, Eirwen, but while you’re out here, you’re one of my soldiers, got that.”

“Yes, sir.”

He nodded. “Good. Everyone report back to here in fifteen.” There was a moment of hesitation from the soldiers. Even Eirwen could feel it, the foreboding pall hanging over the field. The bodies only made it worse; the fallen plantation workers were a promise of what awaited them. They were all already dead, they just hadn’t realized it. “Get out there! If Lord Mirek dies because you were all too afraid to come out here, it’ll be your head!”

The got them moving, Eirwen noticed. The fear that had been clinging to all of them seemed, at least temporarily, to dissipate. Even her heart, burdened with the certainty of what she had seen in the inn, felt lighter.

It was a shame the feeling couldn’t last as she crept down the length of the paddy, moving between the rows of rice, her feet sinking into the thin layer of muck from which they grew. The plants themselves rustled, blown about by a breeze that she couldn’t feel, while the unnatural, bony trees that grew of their own accord scratched and rattled above her. The thick mist dilluted what little light remained.

Her hand remained tightly gripped around her staff.

Could she oppose an abomination if she encountered one?

It shouldn’t happen, of course. Part of the duty of a Guardian was to patrol the plantation for abominations and eliminate them before they grew into true threats, but... She let the thought trail off. It didn’t matter.

She narrowed her eyes. There was a copse of trees right at the edge of the paddy, overgrown through the various stumps that had been made trying to control it. Was there a darker shape at the base of it? Despite the fact that she should be cautious, her footsteps hastened. This was too far out for  a plantation worker to be alone.

As she neared, she broke into a full run.

It was.

“Master Mirek!”

It was!

The hope that swelled in her heart drained away in the same instant it was born. He was leaning limply against the tree, his leather plated tunic stained red with blood. He hadn’t responded to her.

“I found him! Get the medic, hurry!” Eirwen yelled at the top of her lungs. This was no time for tears. If she could do something, she would. Her shaking hand reached for his neck. She managed not to react defensively as his hand grabbed her wrist. The grip was incredibly weak.

He hacked violently, nearly falling over, his arm shaking as he tried to hold on to her. “I...”

“First! Master Mirek, don’t move!” She begged, bring another hand and gently touching his face. “It’s okay! It’s okay!”

“I have to...” He hacked again, slumping further. Fresh blood stained his vest.

She could hear the rest of the soldiers approaching, but his injuries were incredibly serious. It was a miracle he was still alive. He could well die before the medic could get here if he thrashed. Her voice softened as she shifted him, laying him down on the muck as well as she could. It wasn’t as if he could resist.

“Shhh, Mir. Everything is going to be okay. I’m here for you. Don’t move, okay?”

“Eirwen... I need to...” His voice sounded so far away. “I can’t... She did it... I have to... Why... Why can’t I...” His eyes were unfocused.

“Shh...” she said again, her hand touching his freezing cheek as she tried to gently peel away the tunic. She could feel tears threatening her eyes as she looked at the deep wound in his gut. It was an unfathomable miracle that he was even alive at this point; no doubt the abilities of a Guardian had kept him alive to this point. They were clearly beyond even their limits. “Stay with me, okay?”

The shouts were going up all through the plantation now.

“Eirwen... I...”

“I’m right here, okay? I’m going to stay right here with you, Mir. This is going to hurt a little, but you can take it, right?” She extracted a small bottle of alcohol, as well as cloth, from the little pack she carried with her.

He didn’t even move as she poured it over his wound, mumbling in delirium.

She pressed the cloth to the wound. She squeezed her eyes closed, crushing the tears that tried to escape. “Don’t die, Mir. Please. Don’t.”

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 02:07:41 AM »
Fall of the Sebrle 3

“Slow down already, Orienna!” he said, stopping to wipe the sweat off his brow. Even through the mist of the Disquiet, the sun somehow managed to remain blazing hot. “We’re already way off our patrol!”

She laughed. “Oh come on! Are you already tired, Mirek?”

“Yes, I am! Sprinting like that is enough to wear anyone out.”

“You were sprinting?” She smiled at him, closing the distance between them in an instant.

Despite himself, he smiled. “Look, we’re all good at different things.”

“Mmhmm,” she said, her nose touching his. “Some of us are very good at some things.”

Mirek lightly brushed her lips with his own, before pulling away. “Come on, Orienna. This is certainly not the time or the place. We can play after we finish for the day.” He started to turn, but she grabbed his arm.

“I can’t even feel the Disquiet with you around, though! We should stay out a little longer. There haven’t been any abominations in weeks, and everyone is working twice as hard. The workers are safe.” She smiled brightly, brushing back her short hair. “Besides, I wanted to talk to you. Alone.”

“I guess we can waste a few minutes. What did you want to talk about?”

“I wanted to talk about the revolution.”

Mirek shook his head. “Not doing that during a break. We should just focus on our job and trust the Empress to deal with it.”

Orienna’s voice softened. “Did you ever think they might be right, though?”

His mouth opened, but no sound came out. He stared at her incredulously. Could she be serious? “You’re kidding, right?”

“The problems the Disquiet causes can’t be ignored, Mirek.”

“Neither can the fact that people would starve without the plantations!” His voice heightened far more then he meant it to. “My mother and cousins are working themselves to death trying to make sure enough shipments go out, and we’ve only lost two plantations in the north.”

“The Disquiet is poisoning the world, though. Starvation kills too, but it doesn’t poison the world. It doesn’t twist living things into horrible monstrosities that-”

“And that’s why they’ve got all those imperial researchers working to deal with it. They’re making progress! You can’t tell me those echo sigils Noemi created haven’t made a difference?”

“About as much as we’ve made keeping a few farmhands from getting eaten. None, in the end.”

Mirek took a deep breath. He was getting frustrated. She could be so... obstinate, sometimes. “Look, I believe in what my family and the other practitioners are doing. I wouldn’t be out here if I didn’t. There are problems, of course, but we just need to deal with them until better solutions can be found.”

She paced uncomfortable as he spoke and stopped abruptly when he finished. “Are you sure?”

“Of course,” he offered with a smile.

“Mirek, please. Don’t be stupid about this. I know you love your family, but they’re the filth that’re destroying our world. They’ve invited something into it that they can’t control. That they’ll never be able to cage.” She spoke with a perfect deadpan, her eyes staying level with his, unflinching.

“Wha-”

“No more questions, Mirek. Things are changing. Things have to change.” She tried to smile, but it was obvious she was forcing herself. “I want you there with us, Mirek. Please, make the right choice. I can’t ask you again.”

“This isn’t funny, Orienna,” he snarled, taking a step forward.

Her hands fell to the swords at her side.

Mirek’s mind swam. This had to be a dream. His thoughts couldn’t seem to straighten out. She was joking, right? She had to be joking. Surely the Guardians here wouldn’t even think of joining the rebels. His mother did everything to make sure this was the safest plantation in the Empire.

She took a step forward and pure instinct drove Mirek’s hand to his sheathed blade. “Don’t be stupid!”

He grit his teeth. A dream. That’s what this was. All a dream. He’d wake up any minute and everything would be normal again. He had to focus on that. He had to-

He was faster on the attack then she was. He always was. His draw was the fastest among the Guardians when he actually attacked.

Which was why it made no sense that his arms hadn’t moved.

He stared past her.

It hurt. He couldn’t really fathom the pain, even as she withdrew her weapon from his gut.

She shook, tears streaming down her face. “You forsaken idiot! You should have listened to me! You never listened! Never! You were such a blind idiot.”

He sagged to his knees. He couldn’t seem to move.

Orienna wiped the tears out of her eyes ferociously as she resheathed her blade, turning her back on him, curses and condemnations pouring from her lips as she walked away.

Mirek’s aura collapsed, the Disquiet overtaking him like a wave. In his weakened state, there was nothing he could do to stop it from surging through him.

He was going to die.

He was already dead.

His body moved without his will. It knew what needed to be done, even if his mind didn’t. The world passed by in a dark blur. He wasn’t sure when he stopped moving. He wasn’t sure if he stopped moving. He wasn’t even sure if he was alive.

A gentle voice broke through the haze, a familiar voice. A voice that was important to him.

He grabbed at it, begging the First to let him hold on, to not let the voice desert him. Not to let him sink back into that blackness.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 05:36:33 AM »
Fall of the Sebrle 4

The Sebrle estate was swarming with people. The manor guard was present in full force, while the city guard had volunteered at least two dozen men to hold the estate. The news was already flowing across the Empire, speeding across the teleboxes. The Sebrle family has been assassinated. The only survivor was the youngest son of Kveta and Erastus, the husband of Vanesa, who had been out on a military excursion at the time.

She wondered how soon the news would reach him that the only one left could be his nephew.

Eirwen was sure that, within the week, the Imperial Legion would have set up shop here.

She took a deep breath, continuing to slice the vegetables for dinner. It had been a full day since the incident on the plantation. Her father was already up and moving, but the question of Mirek’s survival was still in doubt. Apparently his exposure to the Disquiet was causing difficulties with the healer’s work.

Part of her wanted to wait outside his room for news of his recovery - that was the only thing she would allow herself to consider - but she couldn’t bring herself to do it. Regardless of what had happened, the estate still needed to be cared for.

No, now more than ever the estate needed to be properly maintained. When Mirek was out of danger, he would need all the support she could lend him. The people would need to see that, even at the very worst of times, the Sebrle family wouldn’t buckle.

She turned as she heard the kitchen door open, the knife remaining in her hand.

She was still a little tense, it seemed. Of course, seeing what had happened on the plantation, it made sense. Even with all these soldiers around the estate, there was a part of her that doubted they could do much if the Guardians attacked in force.

“Good instinct, dear,” her father grunted, his crutches clacking against the ground as he moved. “You are not waiting near the young lord?”

She nodded gently, resuming her cuts. “I would only be in the way of the healers, and standing guard is better done by those who are guards by profession. The best I can do is continue my duties until I can do something more useful.”

Her father nodded, slumping onto a stool near the counter she was working at. “Good.”

“Are you all right, dad?”

There was a long moment of silence before he answered. “My legs’ll be healed in no time. Everything else was nothing more than a scratch.”

She could hear the crutch rattling against the counter. She didn’t have to look to know he was shaking. She pointedly stared at her cooking. “I’m glad.” She managed to keep her voice level.

“We barely had time to react. They came in the back right before we reached it.” He took a deep breath as he forced himself to calm. “The roof nearly crushed me in after the first exchange, but Master Matuous prevented it from crushing me completely.”

“Dad...”

“It is a shame that I will never live down, that of them all I was the one to survive. I would have given my life to see any of them survive, but I was denied that opportunity.” His voice cracked.

The knife in her hand shook, forcing her to stop cutting, but she knew the last thing he would have wanted were the hollow consolations that she could offer. He had devoted his life to the Sebrle family and he had raised her with the intention of instilling her with the same loyalty. “Master Erastus and Master Mirek still live.”

“Yes,” he said, breathing out heavily. “Eirwen, my dear, my snowflake,” he had regained control of his voice. “Now more than ever, your duty will be crucial. I don’t know how things will be in the future, but the family will need you more then ever.”

She finally turned, unable to contain it. He was talking like he was already dead! There had been too much lost already. “Dad-”

“Just listen to me now. Master Mirek is the Lord of Sebrle now. The road ahead of him is longer than it has ever been. It is your duty to help him traverse that road.”

She forced the smile that she offered. “Our duty, dad. It will be our duty to help him along that road.”

His hesitation lasted for only a moment. “Yes. Our duty.”

She set the knife down, taking his hand in hers. “You should rest father. I can handle the manor while you heal.”

“When Master Mirek awakens-”

“I know. I have told them to let me know the instant he does. I will take care of it.” Eirwen surprised herself. She managed to say it without letting slip the weight on her heart. Still, she couldn’t - or was it that she wouldn’t - let anyone else do it. The burden of telling him what had happened should belong to someone who was close to him.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 05:38:04 AM »
Fall of the Sebrle 5

Erastus leaned back in his chair in the tent, ignoring the paperwork scattered about the table in front of him. Lanterns hung from the tent’s skeleton, keeping it as bright as day. He really had no idea what they were expecting him to do with these information reports. It wasn’t his job to find the bastards.

He had let Selena convince him too easily. He was getting old. It was for youngsters to be out here at the frontlines, hunting down traitor Guardians.

Youngsters like your children, his mind supplied.

He sighed, letting the chair’s front legs drop to the ground once more. That was the rub, in the end. The old were here to make sure things worked out for the young. So, here he was, breaking his back so that his kids could concentrate on making sure the Sebrle lands and the plantation stayed working.

Besides, as his wife had reminded him, Gil was an evil old man too. They’d need Erastus to take care of him.

He shifted the papers around in front of him. Of course, if Gil was have as clever as Erastus, he wouldn’t be hiding out here in the god forsaken Red Sand Desert. He’d be somewhere in the capital where no one would even think of looking for him.

Based on what the strategists and commanders had told him, they’d assuredly pinned him to this island and all that was left was to find him and eliminate him. Despite the military’s optimistic thoughts regarding capturing the man, Erastus held no such illusion.

He may have been even older than Erastus, but he was still the master of the Guardians. Erastus would not be taking chances. He’d spent a long time speaking with his nephew before he’d left. The power of the Guardians was something to be respected, even by the most skilled practitioner. The ability to reshape the earth or freeze the air meant very little if you were cut in half by a sword before you managed to do it.

His eyes flicked back to the flaps of his tent. There was someone outside of it.

The flames in the lanterns danced as it was pushed open.

“My apologies for disturbing you, Lord Erastus,” the soldier bowed low, clutching the sealed letter before him. “We have received... we have received news. I was told to bring this to you immediately.”

Erastus pushed himself out of the chair, grunting at the effort required. He really was getting too old for this. “Well? Hand it here then!” He didn’t even wait for the soldier to offer it to him, snatching it out of his hand and breaking the seal in a single motion.

He read the letter.

The lantern flames danced.

He read it again.

And again.

And again.

Somehow, the words stayed the exact same every single time he read it. They shouldn’t, but, against all of his expectations, they did.

“Get out,” Erastus said, his voice flat. He didn’t look up from the letter. The soldier was smarter then he would have expected. He didn’t even offer a perfunctory bow in his haste to leave.

The letter’s parchment crinkled in his hand as he crushed it.

He returned to his desk.

He wasn’t sure how long he sat there. Time seemed to crystallize around him. It might have been moments, it might have been years. All he knew was that the cry of alarm from outside brought a perverse little joy to his heart.

The Guardians had apparently saved him a lot of trouble.

As he stepped out of his tent, he opened his Sense to its fullest. The sounds of the chaotic fighting around him were drowned out by the deafening cacophony of the Flow.

The attack appeared to have been well executed. All around him there were men fighting and dying, flashes of silver in the lantern light signifying the ends of many.

His hands began to dance through the air. Within that chaos was a song that he knew and one that he longed to hear. It was as if his fingers reshaped the sounds around him.

“You’re all going to burn,” Erastus said quietly. “Every single one of you.”
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:44:54 AM by AndrewRogue »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 05:45:31 AM »
Fall of the Sebrle 6

The sound of battle around Erastus had been drowned out completely by the roar of the Flow around him. He walked though the chaos around him like he was taking a stroll through Sebrle with his children.

His hands danced through the air, reshaping the energy around him. Creatures borne of fire were born and charged into the chaos around him. These puppets of flame danced to his will, sparing the soldiers and pouncing upon unwary Guardians.

He barely needed to look around him; his entire world was the Flow around him and his designs for it were simple. He would do the job he’d been brought out here for. He would do the job that had kept him away from home, had prevented him from protecting his family.

Gil would die here.

Erastus’ appearance had caused a shift in the momentum of the battle. Despite their power and the danger that their ambush had posed, it didn’t seem as if there were enough Guardians to maintain a sustained assault.

He could see them  trying to retreat: escape from the camp and flee back into the desert from which they’d emerged.

Now that just wouldn’t do, would it.

The roar of the Flow around him was deafening. The longer this continued, the fainter it seemed to grow. But that was all right. He really only needed to do one more thing right now.

Summoning forth every last scrap of his will, he called forth a massive torrent of flames above him, a gigantic, serpentine shape. Even here on the ground he could feel his hair smolder. He couldn’t hear the symphony of the Flow any longer, but it didn’t matter. He could have directed the next movement in his sleep.

The fiery serpent descended on the retreating shapes.

As it hit the ground, rather then maintaining its cohesion, the creature burst, waves of fire whipping across the desert, the reddened sand melting under their intensity.

The camp, once the center of the chaos, had fallen completely silent... except for Erastus, laughing as he watched the flames spread, thin, and finally die.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 05:47:48 AM »
Fall of the Sebrle 7

Eirwen’s heart pounded in her chest as she stood in the doorway. After four days under the ministrations of practitioners and healers alike, Master Mirek had finally awakened.

He sat up in his bed, looking pale and a little gaunt, but a wisp of a smile graced his face as she entered. “Good morning, Eirwen,” he said, his cheer tempered by a weak cough.

“Good morning, Master Mirek.” She crossed the room, trying not to show her unease. “Do you mind if I sit down, Master Mirek?”

“Of course not.” He coughed again. “I’d offer to move over some, but I’m not sure I could even manage that right now,” he said. His attempt at a laugh ended quickly.

She seated herself carefully on the edge of his bed.

What came next wasn’t going to be easy. The tightness in her throat made it had to swallow.

“So how has everything been while I was out?”

She couldn’t quite meet his eye as she spoke. “Master Mirek...”

The weak smile that he’d been holding seemed to freeze into place. “Who else got hurt?”

Her hand wrapped around his gently. His skin was cold and clammy. This was a terrible idea. He wasn’t well! He was just past the point of death! How could she tell him this now?

Because there wasn’t another choice but to do it now. “Master Mirek...”

“Come on, Ei. You don’t need to be so formal here. Just tell me what’s up. Mat get himself hurt as badly as I did?”

“Mirek, they’re all dead!” The words spilled out of her in a torrent. She gripped his limp hand tightly, hoping against all reason that he would find some comfort there. “We don’t know what happened to Orienna but-”

His expression didn’t change as she forced herself to meet his gaze. “Oh.”

“I... I’m sorry, Mir. The house guard didn’t even suspect anything was wrong until late in the evening and by the time anyone got there it-”

“All of them?” His voice was quiet but level as he asked the question.

“Yes.” She couldn’t maintain the eye contact as she spoke. “We don’t know what happened to Orienna, though, so she, at least, might still-”

Mirek laughed.

She started, the weak gesture was so out of place in the situation. “What is it?”

“You’re not going to find her. She’s the one who did this to me.” He started to laugh again, but it quickly devolved into a wracking cough.

“Please, get a hold of yourself. You’re still not well-”

It took him a moment to stop coughing and finally manage. “I think I’d like to be alone for a little while, Eirwen.”

“Mir-”

“You can go, Eirwen,” he said, his face adorned with a wan smilE as, with a little effort, he pulled his hand away from her. “Please, resume your normal duties. I will call you if I need you.”

“O-of course, Master Mirek.” She stood up, bowing slightly, her hands shaking at her sides. “If there is anything I can do for you, there will be attendants on the door if you need anything.”

“I’ll be fine.”

She nodded, unable to find any words. She turned stiffly on her heel, walking briskly out the door. She took a deep breath before she spoke to the two guards. “He is still very weak, so make sure that he is attended at all times.”

They nodded.

She walked down the halls of the house quietly. The exhaustion was plaguing her over the last few days was finally catching up, no longer held back by her worry. She quietly opened the door to her room and then gently shut it behind her, locking it.

Then, and only then, in the darkness of her room, did she finally slam her fists against the door and allow herself cry.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 05:09:19 AM »
Katarine

Tick-tock

Tick –tock

Simple mechanics. It defined her life from dawn to dusk. Wake, eat, train, eat, train, eat, train, study, study…

Tick-tock

There wasn’t much in life that couldn’t be broken down to simple mechanics. Even the most elaborate magicks Katarine had learned over her term in the military were easily broken down to its components and understood. Even now in these late, post-midnight hours that always comprised her spell preparation, it all seemed to be a gear that never knew when to kick over.

Tick-tock

She rubbed at her eyes, feeling frustrated and clutching the letter from the registration officer again. It was all she could do not to lose herself and fire every destructive spell she had ready at it. Maybe the catastrophe that would cause would make things a bit easier to understand.

They don’t want me anymore.

It was a fairly standard form letter of the “We regret to inform you…” variety, telling her that she was soon to be unemployed and homeless, that her pursuits of the last few years have been wasted and she would potentially be monitored for the rest of her life.

It doesn’t even make sense. Why would the army let me finish advanced spell training if they weren’t planning on keeping me on? It’s not fair. It’s not fair. It’s not fair.

A cry escaped her lips as she hammered her fist down on her desk. The jolt of pain that shot up her arm was the last thing she needed at the moment. The pain would have been a welcome distraction any other time, but all she wanted to do at the moment was sleep- but that always seemed to be the most difficult thing of all.

Tick-tock

Tick-tock

It was an elaborate device and one of Katarine’s few luxuries, and also a curse. That stark, yet rhythmic sound ticking off each second had completely and utterly engrained itself into Katarine’s mind over the long years of sleepless nights. Even in complete silence, she could hear it in her head and nearly lose herself in it. The clock was a necessary evil though. The late nights almost required Katarine to keep a close watch on the time.

She couldn’t remember exactly when she started pushing later and later into the night. She supposed it was when the material, the studying, the preparation, and the pressure kept pushing, pushing and pushing until she didn’t know when one day ended and another began, nearly doubling so when she took on the crystals as her magical focus. The pre-dawn hours she awoke to gave little clue except for the sounds of reveille. From then until lights out she at least had structure. It was the night she hated. There, there was nothing- save for an ever increasing list of incremental, detailed tasks that, if not done, could cost many people their lives… herself included.

Magic was nothing like she had imagined it as a girl. The storybooks always glamorized it, but none ever gave any clue to just how mind-numbingly boring it was. The most powerful wizards were always the oldest too, that Katarine could easily understand: the one, strange conceit to realism. She was much further along than any of her peers and she still had a long ways to go, but as she ran her hand down her face, trying to calm herself down, she indulged herself in twirling an imaginary beard. Another habit that she had no clue when it began, she at least knew the reasoning behind it. She felt horribly, horribly old. Each day stretched out into forever, each month into eternity, each year into infinity. She was young, she knew that – not even out of her twenties - but she couldn’t help feel that with each sleepless night she was leaving more and more of herself behind, that the next look in the mirror would result in a mess of gray hair and wrinkled cheeks.

And yet, even that might be preferable to what really looked back at her: Splotchy, unhealthy skin. Eyes set in deep purple ruts with crow’s feet branching out the sides. Hair looking thinner and thinner with each passing year. It was the side of her that she let no one see. She refused to let it show just how much it took out of her. That stubbornness was but one of the many reasons that she had few friends- and why most of her pay went towards makeup.

On some level, the vanity bothered her. It was a weakness, albeit an understandable one, she could ill-afford. But at the same time the way she merely broke even in hiding her sick pallor worked to hide another one of her weaknesses as well- a sad, cosmic balance in a way. Two wrongs making a right.

Take that, ancient wisdom

The corner of Katarine’s mouth twitched as she almost broke out into a smile. The internal wisecrack was just what she needed to snap herself out of the shame spiral, and her self-control managed to resurrect itself before she could break out into a full smile. Not that she didn’t want to, but with a deep breath the momentary distraction allowed her to collect herself and put the news, and the pain in her hand, out of her mind.

And at last, at long last, she was tired enough to sleep.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 06:01:34 AM »
Fall of the Sebrle 8

Kasia ran up the dormitory stairs, a wad of crinkled papers in her hand. She murmured brief apologies as she pushed past people, ignoring the glares they shot her way. She could deal with it later. Grabbing the railing, she rounded the stairs heavily.

She shoved the door to the dormitory room she shared with Noemi. “Noemi!”

“Shh! Kasia! I’m trying to concentrate!” Noemi hissed.

The young woman stood in the center of their room, a sphere of fire slowly spinning directly in front of her.

“But-”

“Shhhh!” Noemi hissed again, her eyes clenching tighter as the ball of fire wavered.

Kasia quieted down. Not only was it incredibly difficult to get her to change tracks while she was working, but, in this case, it would also be dangerous to interrupt her.

Besides, it isn’t like it a few minutes would make a difference one way or the other.

Watching as the flames danced between Noemi’s hands, she slowly opened her own Sense. She recognized the movements of flame creation - it is one of the earliest forms of Dissonance that all students are taught - but underlaying those simple and familiar notes was a complex underscore that she didn’t recognize.

Slowly, the ball of fire began to stretch and change shape.

That was it! That was why the underscore had been so familiar. Watching the fire take on the shape of a fish - a fin swishing through the air as it circled in front of Noemi - she recognized Erastus’ flame puppetry. Could Noemi have really progressed so far already? That technique required incredible finesse. Even their teachers couldn’t-

Noemi gasped, her eyes snapping open as the fiery fish dispersed and faded into the air.

“Damn. No wonder everyone is always so impressed with uncle Erastus. The principles are simple, but the actual application is something else,” Noemi said, wiping the sweat from her face. “The creation of fire is easy, of course, and the initial shaping of the flow is nothing, but maintaining-”

“Noemi,” Kasia cut in. She’d go in if she wasn’t interrupted.

“Mm? Sorry for stopping you, but I’d been working up to that for a while. If I’d stopped-”

“It’s okay. I mean, I guess it didn’t really need to rush anymore.” Kasia held the paper out to her. “Have you seen this, though?”

“The paper? No, why would I?”

“The story on the front!” Kasia said, pointing. “The Sebrle-”

“-Massacre,” Noemi finished quietly. Her eyes scanned the article quickly.

“The Guardians killed almost everyone on the plantation. Nearly 100 workers killed by some combination of Guardians and abominations and, well...” Kasia trailed off.

“‘The only survivors were Erastus Sebrle, who is currently assisting Imperial Forces in the pursuit of the lead rebels, and Mirek Sebrle, who our reports say has survived serious injuries and is expected to recover,’” Noemi finished quietly.

Silence filled the room.

Kasia watched Noemi, looking for some change in her expression, but it remained flat as she set the paper on the table. “We could probably get a boat out to Sebrle tomorrow. I’m sure our instructors would understand.”

“Why?”

Kasia stopped. “I know its been a while, but we owe the Sebrle that much, don’t we?”

“What would us going down there do?” Noemi sat down in a chair, pressing against the back. “Tell them that we’re sorry? Neither of them is going to want to hear it and it won’t help them at all.”

“But-”

“You can go, if you want. I need to keep up my research, though.” She lifted up the corner of the paper. “Now more than ever. That’s what I can do for them: keep working and find a way to prevent this from happening again.”

Kasia hesitated. It was true, of course. All they could do was offer their condolences but... well. Sometimes people needed that. The Sebrle family had taken good care of them - of all of the orphans. It was just so cold, but that was the way Noemi thought. She concentrated on things that made sense to her. She concentrated on her research. “I... guess you’re right.”

“I could use your help, you know. I think I’m really close to a breakthrough.”

“With your runes?”

“Yeah.” She stood up and walked across the room to a pile of papers, pulling several out. “Look at these.”

Kasia took them and looked at the dense, tiny handwriting. The notes were complicated - Noemi’s understanding of the Flow was exceptional, but her ability to explain it was lacking - but she was used to her way of thinking. Still, the actual mechanics of her work were almost impenetrable to her. “It’s a new rune array?”

Noemi nodded. “Yeah. They’re still generating too much Disquiet in and of themselves, but I think, with a few more adjustments, they could be used to limit the movement of the Disquiet.”

Kasia frowned. “Is that even possible? I thought Disquiet couldn’t be effected by Dissonance.”

“Right, but the Disquiet itself is a contamination of the Flow. If we could create an Echo array that could identify it redirect it, we could control the spread of Disquiet.”

“What doesn’t work about it?”

Noemi gestured vaguely at a complicated knot of runes and notes. “The redirection mechanism, mostly. It can detect the Disquiet well, and it redirects correctly... but the problem is non-airborne Disquiet.”

She frowned. Staring at it. “Should this work with that?”

“It isn’t strong enough to actually stop anything but Disquieted air from passing it. The problem is it tries, which basically breaks the Echo and, unfortunately, releases a lot more Disquiet in the process.”You can’t get it to selectively identify the source.”

Grabbing the paper from Kasia, she tossed it back onto the desk. “Right.”

“Have you shown your instructor?”

“Yeah. He was impressed, but he didn’t have any suggestions to alter the Echos either.”

“How about I run downstairs, get some food, and we’ll brainstorm about it over dinner?”

Noemi frowned. “Don’t you have a final examination in the next couple of days?”

“Its fine. I’m already prepped for it.” She wasn’t, of course. But she could worry about it later. Just like she could sit down and write a letter to Erastus and Mirek a bit later too.

Noemi smiled. “Sounds good then!”

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 07:01:01 AM »
Erastus sat silently in the council chamber, listening to the conversations drown on around him. On a second thought, “listening” wasn’t the right word. Listening implied he cared what they had to say.

He didn’t.

He tapped his fingers on the long table, staring into space, as the conversations moved and swirled around him. The Imperial generals, the Noble Council, the remaining members of the Merchant Council, and even the Empress herself... all of them were here, discussing his fate.

“I cannot believe you are planning to overlook his behavior!” Albrecht Argall snarled, slamming his hands on the table. His thin arms trembled with rage as cast his gaze over the room. “The Red Desert was a part of our lands! The Dissonance he used were far in excess of what was necessary! Entire sections of the desert have been rendered into glass! According to my house practitioners, they’ve even been Stilled!”

General [Name] remained seated, meeting the old man’s burning eyes calmly. “Whether or not Lord Erastus’ Dissonance was excessive is a matter of debate.”

“A matter of debate?” Albrecht snarled. “This monster has irreversibly poisoned the Argall lands! I heard that your soldiers - his own allies! - only escaped his flames by pure chance! I demand that charges be levelled against him!”

Erastus sighed. This was unimaginably dull. He had thought that this session - or was it a trial? a judgement? - would excite him, but it turned out to be worse far worse then the city council meetings his wife had forced him to sit in on.

His wife.

His children.

A brief bark of laughter escaped from his lips, and the room fell silent, all eyes moving to him. He couldn’t help but notice the way the guards - as well as several of the more dangerous individuals in the room - shifted uncomfortably.

“Is there something you wished to say, Erastus?” The Empress spoke, her soft voice carrying through the now silent room. “We have heard from many people at this point, but you have not spoken. In fact, you have been strangely silent this whole time.”

“That would be because I don’t have anything to add, Empress,” he said, his voice much smoother than he expected. “What I did was indeed extreme and possibly excessive. Of course, unlike many of you, I was there, so I suppose I would have the better grasp of what was excessive and what wasn’t, wouldn’t I?”

“Don’t you dare take that tone with me, Erastus!” Albrecht snarled.

“I apologize!” Erastus said, his voice raising to a sing-song pitch as he lifted his hands defensively. “Assuredly you, a noble without the ability to use Dissonance and who has never seen what a Guardian is capable of, would know more than me about what was excessive. Knowing that lower ranking subordinates were capable of killing your children, whom you had taught the arts yourself, you are uniquely qualified to pass judgement on me for what was excessive!”

His hands twitched as he lowered them back to the table. He was taking perverse joy out of watching Albrecht turn redder and redder. If he kept this up, the man might spontaneously burst into flames.

Or die of heart failure.

Either would work.

Looking at the faces of the council members around him, Albrecht slammed his hands on the table. “I’ll-”

“Albrecht. Erastus.” The Empress didn’t even raise her voice. It simply cut through Albrecht’s rant. “I would ask you both to control yourselves, or I will dismiss you both.”

“Yes Empress,” Erastus said, not missing a beat, nor dropping his smile.

It took Albrecht an actual moment to compose himself. “Of course, Empress. I apologize. I do not wish to seem... insensitive to Erastus’ situation. However, the Argall have always struggled with the meager lands we have. To have them damaged this way...”

“I understand. But I also believe that we can all agree that, under these circumstances, we should not hold Erastus personally responsible for it.” Her gaze swept the room and, in its wake, there were nods and murmurs of approval. “Good. As soon as we have the manpower available, I shall dispatch a group to investigate the extent of the damages that Erastus inflicted. You must understand, however, that my first priority is the plantations.”

Albrecht nodded stiffly. “Of course.”

“Good. Then everyone is dismissed. Except you, Erastus. I would have a word.”

He nodded, his gaze shifting out into space as the nobles and elected councilors stood and began to walk out of the room. He didn’t watch, but he could tell from the way they moved past him. The unspoken words: the “Sorry,” the “We understand,” and even a couple that did not seem to feel much sympathy.

If they had really cared, it never would have come to this.

Once the room was empty, the Empress seated herself in her throne, letting out a heavy breath that she had been holding. “Erastus-”

“Thank you for your concern, Empress.”

“I doubt it will surprise to hear that I am going to put an end to your work with the military.”

“I expected as much.” She didn’t even know that the magic he’d performed in the Red Desert had severely damaged his Sense, either. Even if he wanted, he wouldn’t be able to continue.

But it was better he kept that to himself for now.

“Will you need help arranging passage home?”

He shook his head.

Silence filled the cavernous room.

“Take care of yourself, Erastus. Your nephew too.” For just a moment, he saw her drop the mask that he had always seen her wear during official functions. “I am limited in what I can do for now, but you and yours are still cousins... and you are of course loyal servants of the Empire.” Her voice softened just a touch, “It will not desert the Sebrle in these difficult times.”

Erastus stood, and bowed low to the table, hoping the draped sleeves concealed the whitening knuckles of his clenched fist. “Thank you for your kindness, Empress.”