Author Topic: General FAQ. Site nominations/IRC/downgrades are covered.  (Read 3721 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
General FAQ. Site nominations/IRC/downgrades are covered.
« on: December 19, 2007, 02:52:06 AM »
So you're new here, and you want to know how we create our RPGDL fields. Well, here's the topic about it. Also, if you've nominated in previous seasons, take a look at this if you want a refresher on the rules and suggestions. Follow the rules, and follow the suggestions as well as you can.

Two weeks before a season starts, we create a topic for nomination 'pools'. The pools remain open for roughly a week, and there's an unlimited number of people who can submit pools.

RULES AND FORMAT: Pools are made up of  four to six fighters, in each of the four divisons. We leave nominations open for a week, and when the week's over, roll the season.

In an IRC chat, we poll the nominations. Each nomination a fighter increases their chance of getting in. Example:

Persona A nominaties Zio, Sephiroth, and Fujin.
Person B nominates  Zio, Fujin, and Dario.
Person C nominates Zio, Jade, and Fei.

Zio>Fujin>Fei, for their chances to make it in a season. Of course, only Fei might get in. It's a random draw.

Even if your favorite fighter doesn't get in this season, it's no big deal. It took me seven or eight tries to get Steiner in, and it took me a year and a half to get Shu a fight.

A sample DL field. I created this from the remains of my previous nomination field. This potential field was designed with the DL suggestions for rules and suggestions in mind.. (No more than two-three people from one game, a mix of well known with obscure in the field).

Fighters can only appear once every three seasons, unless they win a title in a divison.

Fujin (FFVIII), Rashidi (OB), Rameriz (SoA), Melfice (G2), Dario (CC), Luca Blight (S2)

Shu (AtL:C), Zalbag (FFT), Wugui (SH), Solo (DWIV), Lance (Brig), Hojo (FFVII)

Seifer Almasy (FFVIII), Poco (AtLC), Borus (S3), Taloon (DWIV), Ryudo (G2), Hanzou (SF)

Lyonesse (Brig), Beecham (S3), Hix (SII) , Kain Highwind (FFIV) , Elliot (SF), Suo (VP)

SUGGESTIONS:

1. Try to balance your field with a casual fan in mind. Off the wall and obsurce games are fine, but in reasonable doses. Try to make at least half of your pool somewhat well known.

3. Try to use fairly fresh fighters. Yeah, someone can be selected after they just get eligable again. Doesn't mean you should use em. Try to stick with four-five season layoffs if you can, or longer. (For most of the field.) Though.. yeah. This is mostly for heavy and middle; it's much harder to find fresh faces in godlike.

If you have any questions about the guidelines, or need help making a field, contact one of the staff members, or ask here or in the current nominations topic.

Fairly well played games: Final Fantasy games, Chrono games, Star Ocean 2.

Average vote draws: Valkyrie Profile, Saga Frontier, Grandia

Fairly poor vote draws: Arc the Lad, Persona, Phantasy Star 3

EDIT: Feel free to use the nomination checker to make sure that your pool is correct.

We roll out site nominations at #rpgdlnoms, on the lunarnet network. Come join us every six weeks on saturday night. They last roughly from 10pm EST to Midnight EST, and it's a blast.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 05:19:52 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: General FAQ. Site nominations/IRC/downgrades are covered.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 02:53:15 AM »
Due to AIM's limitation on number of chatters and other related factors, site nominations are done on IRC now.

Server: irc.lunarnet.net

Room: #rpgdlnoms

Ops: superaielman, Dunefar/Kotono

Everyone who lurked in nom chats: Contact me on AIM at DolorousAnschlag, and I can get you set up with IRC/help out as needed. Everyone's still welcome here.. the reason we're moving is so everyone can watch noms, and so that we don't have to pick and choose who does get to watch.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 05:20:27 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 02:53:34 AM »
Q: How do we get the nomination pools?

A: It's drawn from precisely half of the fighters who lost in round one. To hit a pool, not only do you have to lose round one, but the person who beats you has to lose in the very next round.

Example:

Kefka vs Jecht- Kefka 
 ================                   Kefka vs Ellen- Kefka
Genevieve vs Ellen-Ellen

Genevieve goes to the downgrade pool.

http://www.rpgdl.com/results.php?week=162

Repeat for each quarter of Godlike, Heavy, and Middle. The last two spots are taken by the champion and runner up of each division.

Q: Why are the totals lower for week 6?

A: Well.. a lot of voters tend to just skip it period, as pools are a bit of a headache to sort through. Even more just vote on parts of the pools, or skip them altogether and vote on the team match.

Q: I want to vote on the pools, but it's a pain to vote and figure them out.

A:  The week before pools go up (Finals), someone posts a topic discussing the week's pools, and how they're voting. Even if you don't agree with it, it's a helpful topic to sort your thoughts out in.
-------------------

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 02:53:52 AM »
Joining the #rpgdl IRC channel, by Laggy.

This is a guide for people to join up the RPGDL's chat room on IRC. It's active essentially all day and night, so there's usually always someone to talk to. Newcomers are always welcome, especially those who have questions about the DL - how it works, a particular duel, whatever you have in mind. The more interested in joining the community as an active member, the better; and we don't torment new faces... too much. (We do prefer proper etiquette in terms of conversation (preferably no excessive use of internet acronyms like 'lol') as a disclaimer.)

First off, if you already have an IRC client and know how to work it, you can jump straight in at:
Server: irc.lunarnet.net
Channel: #rpgdl

If you don't, here are the steps to get connected. Note that this requires installing mIRC on your computer - it's a very lightweight program, free and highly useful for IRC, so I recommend you download it nonetheless.

1. Go here and pick any of the download locations.

2. Download and install mIRC. The installation is straightfoward. You can even install it if you don't have administrative access on the computer you're on.

3. Run mIRC (default installation path is C:\Program Files\mIRC\mirc.exe).

4. The About mIRC window defaults to people who haven't registered mIRC, and imposes a brief wait after 30 days have passed. For now, just click Continue.

5. The first time you run mIRC, the mIRC Options window should pop up. Here you will enter your IRC nickname (basically your online alias), along with configuring other options if you wish.

The Category will default to Connect, which has the following fields:

Full Name
Email Address
Nickname
Alternative

Fill these out. All fields are mandatory, but you can place anything you want in the first two (no need to give out your real name or real email address... in fact, I don't recommend it). Your nickname will be the handle you'll be using on IRC. The alternative is if that nickname has already been registered/used.

6. Check the other categories in mIRC Options if you wish, but it isn't necessary if this is your first time. Click OK to save your settings.

7. The immediate window you have open is the server status window. Type:

/server irc.dejatoons.net

and hit enter. You will then connect to the IRC server we're hosted on, and get the MotD (message of the day) through your server status window.

Once this completes, you'll get a popup window with a big list of channels to join. Uncheck the box at the bottom of this screen and just close it.

8. Type:

/join #rpgdl

and hit enter. The window for the RPGDL chat room will show up, and you'll be in.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 05:21:03 AM by superaielman »
-------------------

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 02:54:11 AM »
This came up a couple times last season. The one real drawback to IRC for nomination night is that the java client can't access #rpgdlnoms. Sucks. While I fully recommend sysreset or Mirc, not everyone can use it. So..

http://www.hacksrus.com/~ginda/chatzilla/ Near the bottom, on the right.

It's a java client plugin for Firefox. It's not the greatest in terms of quaility and interface, but it's a fully functioning java.  And it works just fine for nom night.

1. Install the java client into firefox.
2. /server irc.lunarnet.net
3. /nick your name
4. /join #rpgdl
5. /join #rpgdlnoms
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 05:21:19 AM by superaielman »
-------------------