Author Topic: WAXF Battle Mechanics Guide: Elfboy is non-lazy  (Read 1217 times)

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
WAXF Battle Mechanics Guide: Elfboy is non-lazy
« on: November 20, 2010, 04:04:04 AM »
I'm posting this in this forum because this could end up DL content, depending on if we decide this is the kind of thing we want to host. If someone decides it's more appropriate on a different board, feel free to move it.

Anyway! It's been something like a year, but I've put together enough bouts of non-laziness to actually get the Wild Arms XF battle mechanics guide I've been working on complete enough to actually consider publishable! Hopefully!

This is where I need help. Of course, I've looked over the thing myself, and I've run it through a spellchecker (you don't want to know what the equipment section looked like), but neither of these is any substitute for getting some actual editting; what makes sense to me may not make sense to anyone else. So I'd really, really love anyone who would be willing to volunteer to read this over, or at least parts of it.

The link is here. Hopefully it works for everyone interested. Even if you're too pressed for time to do serious editorial work, any comments are appreciated!

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: WAXF Battle Mechanics Guide: Elfboy is non-lazy
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 04:10:13 AM »
Oh, and since I might as well put it here: Stuff that isn't in the BMG, but could be, and if there's enough interest I may add it to future editions:

-How Exp multipliers work
-Monster stats and enemy-only abilities/status effects (I guess the boss stat topic is a start, here)
-Prices and forging details (though, honestly, think this is already covered well enough in other guides)
-Rates of certain untested abilities, such as any that raise rates of skill activations
-Other stuff I'm forgetting

Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 09:16:25 AM »
Hi NEB,

This is Tide and I am hi-jacking Super's account for this important mechanics question! We were curious regarding Accelerate mechanics. The BGM says it activates 1/3 of a time with a random amount of CT being added. Does this mean the in-game description is wrong then? The game always displays the passive going off at the end of your turn and the description even says it activates at the end of the turn. So how is it only 1/3 of the time?

Also, do we not know the amount of CT it adds (or rather the range of CT)? Because I would love to know about this since it may help me figure out more with Hauser's Accelerator mechanic in WA4
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 05:37:09 PM »
I don't think Hauser's mechanic works the same way. Near as I can tell it's something the game checks between each turn. Just a guess though!

The "activation" of Accelerate going off is a bit misleading. Nobody is sure exactly what it does (as far as I know!), this is mostly just based on some tests Pyro did and some more I did to confirm them. It's possible it always activates and then adds a random amount of CT from -200 to 100 (to use the FFT interpretation of it), then caps the lower end at 0, or something like that. However, this is extremely difficult to test without a very rigorous setup, one which I'm too lazy to do. Accelerate is not something you'll build complex, precise strategies around due to its random nature. For more casual play, where it's obviously valuable, it suffices to know that:

-Accelerate is quite random in what it does,  but it will never directly hurt you.
-Accelerate is not as effective on average as RFX+25% (probably around 2/3 as effective past the first turn), but
-It can be learned earlier with around a thirteenth of the effort, so as far as bang for your buck goes it's pretty obviously desirable.

Maybe.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 07:34:28 AM »
I don't think Hauser's is the same either.