Register

Author Topic: RPGDL 2014 Season 3 Finals and Rankings  (Read 1824 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
RPGDL 2014 Season 3 Finals and Rankings
« on: November 10, 2014, 07:21:13 AM »
Godlike

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Dragon Emperor (Seiken Densetsu 3)

Heavy

Kary (Final Fantasy) vs Oerba Yun Fang (Final Fantasy XIII)

Middle

Roxis Rosenkrantz (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) vs Aigis (Persona 3)

Light

Cinnamon (Mega Man X: Command Mission) vs Piccolo (Suikoden III)

Rankings

For each of the following games, please indicate whether to Rank it or Reject it from further DL consideration.

Bravely Default (12/20)
Suikoden Tierkreis (12/20)

Data Mine

For each of the following games, please indicate if you have Played the game.  Additionally, if you would object to its inclusion in the DL for reasons beyond playership (mechanics, quality, what have you) please indicate this with a vote of Reject

The Last Story
Jeanne D'Arc
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2014 Season 3 Finals and Rankings
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 07:57:02 AM »
Heavy

Kary (Final Fantasy) vs Oerba Yun Fang (Final Fantasy XIII)- Status. Kary's more status resistant than Fogel but is going second here, so yeah definitely leaning Fang.

Light

Cinnamon (Mega Man X: Command Mission) vs Piccolo (Suikoden III)- Thunder def.

Rankings

For each of the following games, please indicate whether to Rank it or Reject it from further DL consideration.

Bravely Default (12/20)- Rank.
Suikoden Tierkreis (12/20)- Abstain. I really have no opinion on this. It's a better rank than Suiko Tactics at least.

Haven't played any of the new games.

Because i always loved these: the downgrade pools if this were an old school DL season.

Celes, Ramirez, Chris, Violetta, Fang, Kary

Cecil, Nel, Wugui, Zero, Roxis, Aigis

Lute, Garr, Lucca, Karin, Cinnamon, Piccolo
------

Celes, Ramirez, Chris, Violetta, Fang, Kary

Violetta: 5-0
Ramirez: 4-1
Fang: 2-3
Chris: 2-3
Celes: 2-3
Kary: 1-4

Violetta eats this field alive. Rameriz's combo of ID and decent slugging takes the rest. Ramirez vs Chris is kind of intersting, but she's giving up too many turns to SL. Fang should beat Kary (see above) and Chris (Mediguard through SL). Chris silences Celes and outtanks Kary.

Cecil, Nel, Wugui, Zero, Roxis, Aigis

Nel: 4-0
Zero: 3-1
Wugui: 2-2
Roxis:  1-3
Cecil: 0-4

Nel statuses the field? Possible Roxis can do something to her in time, but kinda doubt it. Zero stomps the rest of the field into paste. Wugui IDs Cecil and outslugs Roxis. Cecil's a middle.

Lute, Garr, Lucca, Karin, Cinnamon, Piccolo

Lute: 4-1 (Wins: all but Piccolo)
Karin: 3-2 (Wins: Lucca, Cinnamon, Garr)
Piccolo: 3-2 (Wins: Lute, Garr, Karin)
Garr: 2-3 (Wins: Cinnamon. Lucca)
Cinnamon: 2-3 (Wins: Lucca, Piccolo)
Lucca: 1-4 (Piccolo)

Bad field outside of Lute. Could flip on Garr/Cinnamon. Cinnamon's strictly a spoiler, Lucca and Garr are clear lights.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 08:36:40 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 08:38:24 AM »
Godlike

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Dragon Emperor (Seiken Densetsu 3): So Dragon Emperor should 3HKO Lady pretty much regardless of which spells he uses, I think. Which means the first two will be Gigaburn and Ice Cradle to crush her stats. Not inclined to buy Lost Progress stopping stat downs: other SH3 bosses have buff-counters and they don't work on debuffs. Assuming Lady is faster than Dragon Emperor (seems safe)... Dragon Emperor wants to hit her magic damage first, then her physical. Bset I could find that she could do against this is like 3.69 PCHP, death counter included (I'm assuming SD3 stat downs roughly half damage, which fits my memory. So... do I see Dragon Emperor above that? ... yeah almost surely. Even if I see a SD3 turn as long as 6 seconds (and Dragon Emperor certainly acts more often that) I think he's probably safe, although I could be argued I suppose.

Heavy

Kary (Final Fantasy) vs Oerba Yun Fang (Final Fantasy XIII): Kary cuts mental status odds (which includes dark/silence, so pain/fog to me) by 30%. If this affects Fang's base chances, Kary wins instantly. Assuming instead it affects the final odds of the chain, that's still enough to get Fang's status down to turn 2. Meanwhile Fang kinda needs to land both Pain and Fog, I think? Assuming Fang goes first with a shortened chain, it will probably miss, Kary attacks her and puts her in death range to either damage type next turn, that's game?

Light

Cinnamon (Mega Man X: Command Mission) vs Piccolo (Suikoden III): Halves lightning, so survives two Piccolo turns fairly easily. Have to think she probably 2HKOs, she does >30% PCHP per shot. It's pretty close, but you can imagine how much I want to kneejerk for Piccolo in a close fight! (Not like Cinnamon is great in-game either, but meh.)

Bravely Default - Rank.
Suikoden Tierkreis - Rank.

They have 60% playership, they have stat topics, they have no major interpretation issues (BD has one or two involving Merchant/Salve-Maker offence but that's pretty minor overall and barely affects the rest of the cast; just don't nom those two please?). I see no reason to oppose either unless you just hate the DL getting new blood.

The Last Story - Played. It's not a great DL fit, but Pyro made a cool stat topic for it so I'm not going to reject it outright, certainly.
Jeanne D'Arc - Not played
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - Not played
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 - Not played

I have zero sense of the rankability of the three games I haven't played.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 08:47:39 AM »
Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Dragon Emperor (Seiken Densetsu 3) - sure

Bravely Default (12/20) - Rank
Suikoden Tierkreis (12/20) - Rank

The Last Story - Not played
Jeanne D'Arc - Not played
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - Played, reject
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 - Played, reject

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 12:27:02 PM »
Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Dragon Emperor (Seiken Densetsu 3) - I'm more amenable towards Lady Lost Progressing debuffs than Elfboy, but I'm not sure that matters. Dragon Emperor's durability is just openly gross and he shouldn't do worse than 3HKOing Lady.

Kary (Final Fantasy) vs Oerba Yun Fang (Final Fantasy XIII) - Pretty sure this works.

Roxis Rosenkrantz (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) vs Aigis (Persona 3) - Well, first problem: Aigis goes first and, once Orgia Mode kicks in, she 2HKOs Roxis' ass. Second problem: under Orgia, she has roughly 2.5 effective PC HP and about 40% evade - which affects both physicals and magic. Third problem: Roxis needs at least two Chrona Drives to kill Orgia Mode Aigis. I really don't see how Roxis can make this work even if Aigis needs to spend a turn to go Orgia (and I don't remember that being the case). Aigis is kind of a low Heavy when she's not being foiled by her thunder weakness.

Cinnamon (Mega Man X: Command Mission) vs Piccolo (Suikoden III) - Lightning resist means Cinnamon doesn't get 2HKOed by Piccolo even before Iron Maiden and she 2HKOs him back under Iron Maiden. Feels fairly clean - and heck, she might be able to afford a heal here even if she doesn't 2HKO.

Rankings

Bravely Default (12/20) - Rank, sure.
Suikoden Tierkreis (12/20) - Abstain. I feel pretty much the same about this as super does.

Haven't played any of the new games, don't care.

Downgrade pools!

Celes Chere, Chris Lightfellow, Violetta, Oerba Yun Fang, Kary

Well, this is pretty straightforward. Violetta eats this pool for breakfast, being borderline High Godlike against a bunch of Heavy/Godlike borderliners. The rest of the pool... yeah, gets a bit dicier as the rest of the girls mostly trade wins and losses. Celes beats Fang (goes first, lol imp) and Kary (Berserk is turn one against Kary and I allow Vanish, which BARELY makes my threshold for overlevelled spells leniency. Kary -almost- OHKOs Celes with a berserked physical, but doesn't quite get there), loses to Chris (lol silent lake). Besides that, hm. Fang vs. Chris is interesting - Chris opens with Silent Lake and then... well, when she doesn't crit, her damage is low enough that Fang can try to stall it out with Mediguard in theory, but crits and Phoenix Rune put a crimp on that strategy and opening with Mediguard itself gives Chris and extra opening. Past that, Fang, bereft of Saboteur tricks, loses a straight slugfest with Chris of the obscene pdur and 40% evade. Chris also immunes Silence by default and can heal Pain with Kindness Rain, which... doesn't help Fang either. Yeah, I think Chris has the upper hand here. Chris also manhandles Kary: paralysis immunity and only being 3HKOed by her physical goes a long way. Finally, Kary already beat Fang, who beats nobody and stays down.

Violetta: 4-0
Celes: 2-2
Chris: 2-2
Kary: 1-3
Fang: 0-4

Cecil Harvey, Nel Zelpher, Wugui, Zero, Roxis Rosenkrantz, Aigis

Well, this is a lot easier. Zero smash puny field: even against Aigis, his closest match, he likely outslugs her in spite of Orgia mode, since she needs Tarukaja to win before overheating and that just lets him lap and two-round her ass. Going for Orgia gets her outslugged even so, since she doesn't 2HKO him even before Absolute Zero. The rest of the field is just trivial (ID immunity to handle Wugui and the rest slides easy). Nel handles the rest pretty easily - Cecil gets stalled out at worst, Aigis eats it to Lightning weakness, Roxis gets frozen or MP-slaughtered and Wugui eats it to ID-immune healer with physical damage. Wugui manhandles the ID-bait losers, Roxis beats Cecil pretty easily (Cecil doesn't even 3HKO Rosenkrantz!), Aigis already beat Roxis and ODDLY gets spoiled by Cecil with THUNDER ARROWS. Wow.

Zero: 5-0
Nel: 4-1
Wugui: 3-2
Aigis: 1-4
Roxis: 1-4
Cecil: 1-4

Lute, Garr, Lucca Ashtear, Karin Koenig, Cinnamon, Piccolo

Well, sigh. This is a pretty sorry pool outside Lute, who... yeah, I think he solos this. The one match I could be argued on is him vs. Piccolo, but I think I can buy him scraping the OHKO off roughly 61% PC HP physical damage. Cinnamon reams the remainders: she already beats Piccolo as is. Lucca gets 3HKOed (4HKOed post-Protect) and fails to 4HKO herself with FLARE, not to mention sleep strats are out with Iron Maiden immunities. Garr's speed and damage make him a terrible slugger, and even though he likely runs Cinnamon out of Iron Maiden turns, he's slow and undamaging enough to allow the healbot to actually -heal-. Karin... is the most interesting of these, but runs into fundamentally the same problems as the rest: Cinnamon is faster, scrapes the 4HKO even through the regen and doesn't get 3HKOed back. Piccolo doesn't do too badly himself: he loses to Lucca due to her gross mdur, but everybody else gets outsped and 2HKOed. This is, however, Lucca's only victory in the field, since Garr spoils her with Fire immunity and Karin outslugs (avoids a 2HKO, 2HKOs herself and is faster). Meanwhile, Karin also beats Garr (both effectively 5HKO and I'm pretty sure Karin lands a 5-4 to boot).

Lute: 5-0
Cinnamon: 4-1
Piccolo: 3-2
Karin: 2-3
Lucca: 1-4
Garr: 1-4
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:23:28 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 01:01:04 PM »
Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Dragon Emperor (Seiken Densetsu 3) - Can't vote, but does it change anything that Lady (and Umbral) are specifically immune to all the stat-downs?

Rankings

Bravely Default (12/20) - Rank.
Suikoden Tierkreis (12/20) - Rank.

Data Mine

I've not played any of these.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 01:37:34 PM »
Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Dragon Emperor (Seiken Densetsu 3) - Can't vote, but does it change anything that Lady (and Umbral) are specifically immune to all the stat-downs?

Interp call. Seiken Densetsu 3 stat downs are immensely badass due to not being even resistable by -anything- in-game - it's pretty much the same idea as seeing WA4 debuffs as hitting everything in the DL (rewarding them in a duel for their immense in-game effectiveness). SH3's stat debuffs are somewhat better than normal, due to a lot of bosses being vulnerable to a few of them, but your mileage may vary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 03:41:19 PM »
Snow: Saga Lute.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:43:32 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 04:17:46 PM »
Whoops! My bad.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 07:42:47 PM »
Middle

Light

Rankings

Bravely Default (12/20)- Rank
Suikoden Tierkreis (12/20)- No. So these are still pretty borderline numbers paired with what is really not a great DL game at all. Too many PCs? Check. All those damn PCs all end up going into super similar strategies due to skill convergence (where most of the strategies are kind of boring? How much Sleep-based elemental damage healers do you need?) Check. Legal endgame weapons that are highly unbalanced and don't really compare to how PCs look most of the game? Super Check.

If there were more voters, yes. But as is, I don't really see what this truly adds. Keep it as fodder for Futurama seasons.

Data Mine

For each of the following games, please indicate if you have Played the game.  Additionally, if you would object to its inclusion in the DL for reasons beyond playership (mechanics, quality, what have you) please indicate this with a vote of Reject

The Last Story- Haven't played
Jeanne D'Arc- Played
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor- Haven't played
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2- Haven't played
...into the nightfall.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 08:01:37 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Rankings

Bravely Default (12/20) Rank
Suikoden Tierkreis (12/20) Rank

Data Mine

The Last Story: Nope, but I plan to play it within the next two months!
Jeanne D'Arc Nope
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Nope. It's only a more distant list of things to play but not yet.
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 Nope.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 01:36:32 AM »

DE is a better slugfester than I expected.  The absurd durability, sure, but his damage is better than expected, too.

Heavy

Fang isn't that far off 2HKOing with Ruin (she deals ~.75 PCHP this way, Kary is ~.85 PCHP vs. magic), but she doesn't make it.  If she lands Pain by turn 2...  well...  she still eats Attack -> Fire Magic, Fire Magic x2 if needed.  There's also whatever penalty Fang gets assessed for resisting paralysis.  Yeah, it's close but favors Kary.

Rankings

Bravely Default (12/20) - Rank
Suikoden Tierkreis (12/20) - Abstain

The Last Story - Played, although not finished, but far enough to vote it.
Jeanne D'Arc  - Played, although not finished, but far enough to vote it.
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - Nope.
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 - I own it, but haven't played it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 02:24:53 AM by SnowFire »

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 02:07:46 AM »
Godlike

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Dragon Emperor (Seiken Densetsu 3): I guess he wins a slugfest? Feels wrong.

Heavy

Kary (Final Fantasy) vs Oerba Yun Fang (Final Fantasy XIII): 2HKOs. Her effective status resistance is rather ridiculously good against the status she actually faces I think?

Middle

Roxis Rosenkrantz (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) vs Aigis (Persona 3): Bring Lightning

Light

Rankings

Bravely Default (12/20): Rank. It is a good game for the format and more people should play it.
Suikoden Tierkreis (12/20): Abstain.

Data Mine

The Last Story: Played it, stat topic'd it. It isn't UNREASONABLE for ranking but it is a control-one-PC ARPG.
Jeanne D'Arc: Played it, stat topic'd. It translates into the format for the most part but it isn't a very good game...
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor: Haven't played it.
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2: Haven't played it.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 02:08:54 AM »
Do people want to see Bravely Default Jobs, Bosses, or PCs? (With their 6 Jobs apiece)?

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 02:47:20 AM »
Jobs over PCs.
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 03:04:31 AM »
FF5 provides a solid decade of precedent for this, yeah; the jobs are legal noms to me, the PC setups are more in the realm of twink-type material. I'm cool with them in side tournaments obviously.

Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 03:58:40 AM »
That said I've definitely been considering having a twink tourney right after this to use those nice PC setups elfboy and snowfire made in.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 11:58:39 AM »
I don't suppose you'd include my 'starting affinity Junctions' FF8 setups in that? (For all that they are not nearly as good as most of the FF5/BD setups, they follow the same design concept.)

Votes:
Kary
Aigis
Cinnamon

Ranks:
Bravely Default - Rank.
Suikoden Tierkreis - Rank. I imagine that a few regular duelists will rotate in, there doesn't seem like there's any likelihood of it flooding...

Last Story - Played and Completed! I would support it in the DL. Has one interesting high-ranked duelist and some hilariously fail Punies, with a Middle or two in there IIRC. My favorite kind of game. (Psst! Rank Rondo of Swords)
Jeanne D'Arc - Played and Completed! I actually like this game and its Level 5 weirdness. Besides, it'll be fun to nom historical figures from more games than just Shadow Hearts. Anastasia vs. Jeanne~
Devil Survivor: Not Played. It's on my play list... I own it, but I have to finish Strange Journey first. It seems like a good rank.
Devil Survivor 2: Not Played. Likely to be played immediately after Devil Survivor 1. Also owned but untouched.

Someone should stat topic the Demons Souls or Dark Souls bosses. With as much talk as those games get in the WGAYP thread, I imagine they'd make some fun duelists to talk about. Can't really say for sure if they're even rankable without a stat topic though... With as much mechanics data as is floating around about those games though, they've gotta be.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »

Someone should stat topic the Demons Souls or Dark Souls bosses. With as much talk as those games get in the WGAYP thread, I imagine they'd make some fun duelists to talk about. Can't really say for sure if they're even rankable without a stat topic though... With as much mechanics data as is floating around about those games though, they've gotta be.

Bed of Chaos, the most fearsome dueler of all time.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 03:20:44 PM »
Dark Souls is a solo action game; it is not rankable. It'd be like ranking Super Metroid or Ocarina of Time, only with less playership.

Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 06:25:56 AM »
Godlike

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Dragon Emperor (Seiken Densetsu 3)- No vote.

Heavy

Middle

Light

Rankings

Bravely Default (12/20)- Rank
Suikoden Tierkreis (12/20)- Mgrgrgr.  Uh.  Reject.  It's just all fodder all the time and doesn't bring much to the DL proper as a draw.  I normally have good memory for Suikoden games but Tierkreis' cast is a gigantic blur of healing spells and swordgirls.

Data Mine

The Last Story- Not-played.
Jeanne D'Arc- Not-played.  Started a save file at one point, but zzzzzzzzz.
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor- Played
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2- Played.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 11:39:18 AM »
Dark Souls is a solo action game; it is not rankable. It'd be like ranking Super Metroid or Ocarina of Time, only with less playership.

Its PCs obviously aren't rankable, but aren't its bosses fairly similar in format to most ARPG's?

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 03:00:25 PM »

Rank Kraid.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »

Rank Kraid.

Rank Wendy Koopa.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 03:22:18 PM »

Its PCs obviously aren't rankable, but aren't its bosses fairly similar in format to most ARPG's?

Much more similar to the games I listed already, and anyway a solo ARPG boss is not my idea of a good ranking idea. Their durability is very tricky to work out due to different scalings having vastly different interpretations of their HP, on top of the usual "do they hit or not" thing. At least in an ARPG like Tales, the boss hitting is the norm so most people don't mind usually assuming they do (except against good evade). (EDIT: And in SO2/SD3, the game goes a step further towards being a non-ARPG and has the bosses land guaranteed hits with their spells, making them even simplier to deal with.) In a game like Dark Souls or Devil May Cry (etc.), the player is expected to avoid most of what the boss throws at them, which makes it very hard to assume the boss always (or almost always) hits.

But just to re-iterate, even if you did want to experiment with action game bosses in the DL, uh, there are games with actual playership to do this with (e.g. Not Ranked tried with Castlevania's Dracula, back in the day; it wasn't a great success). I think I might actually be the only person on CK's player list who has actually finished Dark Souls...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 03:29:43 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.