Author Topic: Mafia Mod Signups  (Read 85878 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Mod Signups
« Reply #175 on: June 01, 2010, 12:46:49 AM »
Just so remember, Mage.  Ciato does know where you live.  And your room is the one without a lock.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 01, 2010, 02:39:03 AM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

:-* :-* :-*
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2010, 03:56:58 AM »
It's also the one with the weapons.

Btw, Excal/MC, either of you wish to help me co-mod a Pokemon Element Mafia Game?  ;D
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2010, 06:22:54 AM »
Hm.  I dunno.  It strikes me as less of a headache to...

Actually, nevermind.  I'll keep that to myself.  For now.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2010, 08:13:28 AM »
While I'm thinking about it, randomly... a way you might do this is by not mod confirming types, and not giving any indication of how many actual valid votes are on someone in interim votecounts.  Only show actual vote totals on a lynch.  (The mod will have to privately keep track of real votes for determining when hammer is, of course.)  And don't have exactly 17 players, or slightly randomize the types, or both.  If typing and votes are public you get a little amusement early but ultimately very little gameplay impact outside of possibly Steel, unless you put in a lot of role madness that would also be affected.  But if players can bluff types, and only limited confirmation is available, things get... interesting.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 01, 2010, 03:20:34 PM »
If typing and votes are public you get a little amusement early but ultimately very little gameplay impact outside of possibly Steel

Nah, there's impacts late as well as early.

Like...if Scum manage to sneak into the lategame with two of them hitting weakness on the same player, then they can quicklynch...and this risk will make people paranoid of going into the lategame with multiple weaknesses.  (And scum can similarly use this paranoia to get others lynched).

And there's the fact that town doesn't know the Scumteam--let's say there's a scumteam of Grass/Bug/Fire.  It looks like "oh, we probably won't have any trouble lynching Grass: we have two people that hit weakness."  Except scum could leave, say, Water and Electric alive and kill Grass' non-Bug/Fire weaknesses to make Grass unlynchable in LYLO.  (while simultaneously using the same logic to point at Dragon and say "WTF, 4 resistances still alive?  I sense a pattern!  Ice, please vote Dragon.")

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 04, 2010, 06:06:24 AM »
Hey, so.

KoL Mafia.  I'm running it at some point in the future.  Haven't put it together yet, figure I've got plenty of time since it looks like this Pokemon Mafia is at the very least ahead of it.  It will be anonomafia because I like that more than I like regular mafia.

Would anybody be willing to co-mod this with me?  I ask mostly because I want to do some role madness mafia, but have it come out relatively balanced, and thus would like someone more experienced with the game to bounce ideas off of.  So if anyone's down to do that PM me.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #182 on: June 06, 2010, 02:43:52 AM »
Since I apparently never got around to posting it, I'm officially putting myself down as hosting Tsundere Mafia sometime in the future.

Setup hasn't been decided yet, but it will probably not be role madness.

Probably.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Bardiche

« Reply #183 on: June 06, 2010, 03:44:58 AM »
Tsundere Mafia is the only Mafia game I'd play for the foreseeable future.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 06, 2010, 10:01:14 AM »
Alright, since it looks like there'll be three-four games and possibly some pauses, I'll get back into the queue.  It'll either be random low powered Anonygame (theme to be determined when I think of something amusing), or Bastard Anonymafia.  Where everyone should pick a bastard to play as, and I'll just be one.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 06, 2010, 04:37:21 PM »
Alright, since it looks like there'll be three-four games and possibly some pauses, I'll get back into the queue.  It'll either be random low powered Anonygame (theme to be determined when I think of something amusing), or Bastard Anonymafia.  Where everyone should pick a bastard to play as, and I'll just be one.

Does this mean I can play as you?
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 06, 2010, 07:05:44 PM »
No.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 06, 2010, 09:55:56 PM »
This -does- mean, however, that he'll break into your room while you sleep, skin you alive and wear your carcass as a wedding dress.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2010, 09:35:29 AM »
Which one of us is which, Snow?

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 07, 2010, 11:37:42 AM »
Throwing out now, considering the rush of games coming up, that I plan on running a slightly-Bastard Mod and very-Role Madness game. Not certain on the theme yet, but leaning towards Mythological Mafia.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 07, 2010, 04:14:59 PM »
Uh, yo, so I know it's a long ways away especially since it doesn't look like Zoolander Mafia's getting any steam anytime soon, but if I don't have the setup ready by the time Pokemon Mafia starts, does anybody mind me moving KoL Mafia down to the end of the queue (where it is now, not where it will be)?

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 09, 2010, 11:15:26 PM »
So, uhh. Which is next in the list? Dead forum is dead, want to get back into mafierz, etc, etc.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 09, 2010, 11:42:20 PM »
I could run Tsundere if people wanted to play it, but there are enough people that haven't hosted between my AniMafia and now that I'd feel like I was cutting in line if I just went ahead with it on my own.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 09, 2010, 11:47:26 PM »
Current list looks like:
 - (Someone) [Pokemon Mafia]
 - Zenny [KoL Mafia]
 - Kilga [Tsundere Mafia]
 - Excal [Bastard/low-powered Mafia, either or]
 - Yoshi [Mythological Mafia]

So, uhh, unless someone wants to take up the elemental Pokemon one, looking towards either you or Zenny, yeah.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 10, 2010, 03:59:02 AM »
Taking a long break from anything Mafia related.  As I think I said in an earlier post, go ahead and move me to the end of the line on this one.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 10, 2010, 07:59:08 AM »
I'll just confirm that the insanity game I posted before is very much not in the cards; I could only run it while "free" between jobs.  It actually was an enormous blessing it didn't quite make it to enough people as I got surprise expelled from my apartment and got to spend that time moving and assembling furniture instead, so I wouldn't have had the free time after all.

As for now, I just started a new job, it would be unwise for me to commit my time at the moment so I'll also probably bow out of Mafia as a player.

On the Pokemon mafia ideas note, some rambles I held off at the time.  In case someone is thinking of running that, a few thoughts...  I don't think who's what type can be credibly hidden.  Townies by all rights should all immediately fess up to their true type, and this is furthermore easily testable if someone lies about their type - see the contradictions on the vote board.  If the mod chooses to "hide" the true votes and only show apparent votes, this actually doesn't help much - Town can still experiment given sufficient time to "check" to see if claimed types are true, except at the cost of mass annoyance and a logic puzzle.  i.e. decide one day early who to lynch for day 1, then proceed to set up many possible votes that, if all claims are true, will almost-but-not-quite hammer the lynchee.  And demand type claims first thing Day 1 so that the mafia doesn't know which type will be the Day 1 Lynch.  Since he's the D1 lynch anyway the Mafia doesn't gain much if their lies result in a surprise early hammer, and then everyone knows that somebody in that set of votes lied about their type, etc.  More generally, socially it's awkward to have surprise hammers and I'm not a fan of an idea where this is a constant threat.  Votes should be a "safe" social signal as well, if town is very concerned about surprise hammers then another thing that can happen is that town resorts to using all FoS counts and never voting until the last day, which has its own problems (like someone being out of town and unable to switch their FoS to a real vote once the matter is decided, or Mafia lying and claiming the same).  Or, to put it another way, almost all powers that mess with voting in general are kind of meh and have a bunch of risks.  The type idea is cool enough to maybe carry it anyway, I'll grant, but in general I for one prefer voting be kept simple.

I'd tentatively recommend that all types be openly declared from the start (and pick specific Pokemon to play rather than the nebulous idea of the type itself - so "Chansey" not "Normal"), and then declare that during LYLO or potential LYLO all vote powers return to 1 trainer - 1 vote.  That'd make some of the metagaming based on type-hunting less crazy.  Also sculpt the power setup to not cause LYLO too early (no vigs?), since that'd take away one of the fun perks of the game.  For an example of what happens without this LYLO rule...  well, see DL mafia Day 3.  Excal did the right thing and warned Town very clearly that misplacing a vote would be deadly, but it'd be very easy to very quickly hit a worst case scenario where scum can run away with the game given a misplaced vote even when it seems it shouldn't be LYLO - a townie weak to a Scum type and neutral to the other scum types pushes LYLO one day farther forward, and god forbid if there's a townie weak to two Scum members as well, that would push LYLO forward TWO days (assuming the GM calls the game in event of scum quickhammers rather than letting the game run, which would let whoever's entire side was online at the time of the next day post win by quickhammering first).  Basically given worst case scenarios nearly every day after Day 2 will have to be "Potential LYLO, vote for the wrong person and risk consecutive scum quickhammers."  You can also end up with stalemate endings easily where too many type strengths means that certain people are unlynchable, and said people might be scum.  So yeah, I'd definitely be in favor of switching to a normal voting scheme come LYLO.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 10, 2010, 08:42:58 AM »
Snow, I'd just argue that that's pretty cleanly a weakness with the Pokemafia format as a whole.  Because it either allows people to meta based off of typing as to what Scum can be so that they can't horribly rape enough people for an early LYLO off typing (and it'd take a very good setup to avoid that) or it gives Town some very strong (read: mod confirmed) clues when LYLO rolls around and typing dissapears, at which point it's no longer LYLO, and scum has to make their way after having been given a neon sign pointing them out.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 10, 2010, 06:29:44 PM »
Much as I agree the idea has some issues...  not sure I agree?  The mod then only declares LYLO when a totally normal game with no vigs would also declare LYLO.

For example: 6 townies, 3 scum, voting strengths always in effect.  If one townie is weak to the scum, then this is secretly LYLO.  If a townie (who isn't the one weak to scum) gets too many townie votes, scumhammer -> shoot someone else -> quickhammer the one who is "weak" to them.  However, if the rules are changed so that all voting strengths return to 1 during LYLO, then the quickhammer doesn't actually work.  So it's not really LYLO with 6 / 3 ; if a townie gets lynched, then it'll just be LYLO the next day.

This can theoretically play for the scum as well; if there's something weird like Scum Normal, Town Ghost, Town Steel, then without this rule Normal gets auto-lynched.  With 1-trainer 1-vote it becomes normal Mafia.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 13, 2010, 11:33:13 PM »
Hmm. If a few more days of nothing go by, I'll probably go ahead and open up signups for Tsundere. Game won't begin until after Otakon, though, since even if it started today I don't think it would finish in time to avoid being interfered with.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 14, 2010, 01:03:25 AM »
Told you guys the pokemon idea was silly.  >_>

Honestly, if you actually want to run it, I'd just remove LYLO declarations altogether, and just tell people upfront how many scum there are in the game.

I'd also consider reducing the number of scum in the game (running a few simulations to see whether or not that's more balanced).