Author Topic: What games are you playing 2021: Please don't bully cute, girly-girl alchemist  (Read 15718 times)

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
  Beat FFX a while back.  Only did a little bit of endgame stuff such as unlocking the quicker monster arena creations.  Which was relevant; the pack of Three Stars and Stamina Tonics were what made my strategy at Braska's final Aeon work.  Did not have a good way of dealing with the damned Yu Pagodas so ended up eating lots of Overdrives.  Doubled max HP allows me to survive Ultimate Jecht Shot (I had blown my Talk uses early) and Alchemy enhanced Mega Potion lets me recover from nearly all the damage in one action.  I started with 91 so was able to last long enough to reduce its HP to zero.  He put up a real fight.  I taught Wakka and Auron Quick Hit and even with 0 MP Quick Hits, the fight didn't feel free.

Didn't get that many of the alternate Overdrive modes.  Only Wakka learned Tactictian.  Only Yuna gained Healer.  The guys all got Warrior.  Conrade, Ally, Slayer, and Victor were scattered about with some but not all having access.  (Wakka has the most at 7 while Rikku and Lulu are in the back with 2 possible Overdrive modes.)

Thoughts on my characters:

Tidus: Yuna's magical dream boyfriend sees frequent use thanks to high natural Agility, good Strength, and the time magics.  Haste is godly for bosses until bosses start showing up that can dispel it.  With the few extra Sphere Levels he had after learning Quick Hit, I Return Sphered him to the start and sent him towards Wakka's section.  Managed to scrape up about 50 Strength for the final.  He actually ended up with the lowest HP in my party.  Magic Defense is atrocious and I decided his Magic was unsalvageable, not that his native skillset needs it but it means it makes no sense to teach him anything that uses the Magic stat.

Rikku: Speedy utility character.  Was there to swipe stuff and Use things at key moments.  Was one of the best damage dealers at "that' fight in Zanarkand since elemental gems were doing more damage than just about anyone else at the time.  I'm generally conservative with consumables but there was ever a time to make use of them to end a fight faster, that was one of them.  Almost never used her physical.  Since her offense is item based, after learning Bribe I sent her towards Yuna's grid up towards Protect and Shell to give her something to do with her MP, grabbing Dispel and Reflect along the way.  Bad Defense and evasion so she doesn't take hits well.

Wakka: The best at hitting things with physicals due to highest Accuracy and innate long range attack which is unique to him and no other character can match.  Status effects are very welcome given how much punch FFX randoms have.  Then the game goes on and so many things immune his status game.  Good HP and Strength, decent Agility but not as good as the speedsters, has an actual Magic score, magic defense is terrible.  I sent him towards Tidus' grid when he reached Triple Foul but I don't think he made it there with the few extra Sphere Levels he had.  Scraped up about 50 Strength and a bit more speed for the final.

Lulu: In a twist on the typical black mage, she gets a good defense score and cast best evasion and magic defense.  So she's decent at taking hits if they make it past her evasion.  Her damage and defensive capabilities are valuable early but I found her low speed a liability in the later parts of the game.  I rotate my party members often so Agility ends up the god stat for my playstyle.  If she dies, it can really drag things down as it will be a long time with a character slot that isn't contributing to battle.  She picked up Flare only at the last save point of the game and only because I didn't make the trip towards Dualcast so she sat out the last battle.

Yuna: The healer, duh.  She's one of the most important people to keep alive during boss fights because no one else has much opportunity to learn recovery abilities for quite a long while.  Many of my boss battles involve Hasting her and bringing her in only when needed.  I tended not to use Aeons as meat shields.  They were mostly there to Overkill bosses with overdrives and cheese randoms with their innate defensive traits.  Some enemies have no way of hitting Valefor and bombs will never harm Ifrit, among other uses.  Ended up with decent HP thanks to sending her towards Rikku's grod for a bit for Steal, Use, and the early HP nodes.  Naturally, this does come at the cost of slowing down her White Magic development and she hadn't learned Holy when I beat the game.

Kimahri: I have no regrets teaching him Steal, Use, Reflect, and Dispel but I do think I could have planned things better.  Ended up backtracking through the Sphere Grid more than necessary for what I wanted him to learn.  Which slows down his stat growth.  Besides Steal and Use, I mostly stuck to making him a second white magic user.  Having a second character to cast various utility spells lessens the load for Yuna.  One battle I got through mainly because I'd picked up all the Nul-spells for him.  Would have been too much for Yuna to maintain Nul-spells and healing alone.  And having two possible Esuna casters is better than one.  Picked up Life as well.  I don't want to ignore his physical attacks since he has Piercing weaponry but maybe I'm trying for too much with the Sphere levels I had to work with.

Auron: had a slow start.  Kimahri had higher Strength than him to begin with due to the odd direction I went with the Ronso.  He does surpass Kimahri (and everyone else) in Strength over time but early on, his only unique contribution is Power Break.  Accuracy is awful and that low Agility means I'm less inclined to use him to dominate randoms.  Like Lulu, he doesn't get a second turn in randoms often as I'll usually only pull them out to OHKO their specialty targets.  At least the low speed synergizes well with Threaten, had I thought to use it more.  Reached the end of his grid early along with Rikku.  I spent his remaining Sphere levels in Tidus' grid, mainly seeking out more Agility as well as any extra Strength.  Got to about 20 Agility for the final boss this way and maybe 65-70 Strength.  Power Break and Magic Break see more use as more durable opponents are more common.  Then bosses start to nearly always immune them and Armor Break takes over as the one I get the most use out of.  picked up Sentinel just in time for when enemies with really strong physicals show up and I can guarantee him surviving them but not always other party members.  So he's useful, just not in the same way that the faster characters are.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Fell Seal - Beat the Wizard SCC. Here's the run-down from my last post, where I got stuck at Gelligh 2. Ultimately that proved one of three main struggle fights for the challenge, as you'll see.

Gelligh 2 (8 resets, then 2 injuries) - This battle has you start surrounded on three sides by three groups of two enemies. Two of the groups are a pair of assassins, the third is a werewolf + gunner. They all outspeed me, pepper me with status on turn 1, and the assassins unleash horrific damage on turn 2 (except the one with dual shields). If Kyrie dies I lose. Also when I kill two people a boss shows up.

I'm initially around Level 20 on Kyrie when I get here, with other PCs in the 14-18 range. The enemies are level 22. Eventually I decide to grind out a few more levels for everyone else, getting Kyrie to 23 and the rest of my main team to 18-22. This helps.

What also helps is optimizing my equipment more. Vigil Bands for sleep immunity (the assassins have AoE sleep) is the first change I make, but ultimately I decide that I can get away with lower magic than I'm used to (the enemies largely don't have huge res). I eventually settle on using Thunder Rods (the shield assassin resists all elements except lightning), Glasses (to help with reliability against the assassins... shield assassin is still a dodgetank though), and Sapphire Earrings (which block blind as well as root, which the werewolf sometimes uses, and bleed, which... we'll talk about). The last one is a pretty big pocketbook hit but whatever, I have money.

Strategy is to hope the at least one assassin group stays in an AoE first turn. With blind blocked they can't do that much useful turn 1, although the werewolf can still land various statuses and the gunner usually uses silence. 4-5 attacks are needed, hopefully two assassins die and I can retreat in the direction where they were. Septimus then shows up, keep staying on top of Kyrie's healing (other people can die if necessary), kill the remaining enemies as fast as possible. I don't kill the gunner ultimately, and take down Septimus. He has about 700 HP and counters everything with bleed (Sapphire Earrings to the rescue!). As long as he doesn't build up too much MP he doesn't do too much that's scary, mostly debuff my mind/res, though can punish me with Blood Nova if I group for AoEs, so I don't. Battle ends when Septimus drops.

Bardvig Aqueduct (1 reset, then 3 injuries) - Another Defeat Boss map, this time the boss stays back like a turtle. One of the enemies has Gadgeteer secondary and can push people into the water with a Springer, but I don't bother equipping Flippers because it's easy enough to position myself to avoid this. I'm split into two groups and the group on the northwest side does die, but the other persists, revives, and overcomes the enemies until I can lure the boss forward to his death.

Kapawka Jungle (3 injuries) - Another map where the water is dangerous. I go without flippers again and mercilessly target the Redcaps who can Flipkick me into the water from range 2. The Kawas can also push me into the water with boomerangs but positioning can mostly avoid that. Big elemental weaknesses on everyone here helps, but it's still a dangerous battle.

Godstear Wastes (1 reset, then 4 injuries) - Our introduction to Aeoths. These big guys will fire barrages every turn which take a turn to charge but deal big AoE damage. Specifically, big AoE fire damage. Molten Robes on everyone = they're useless. However, the rest of the fight is still legit, even before considering there's a bunch of hidden traps on this battlefield which steal your turns if you trigger one. Mostly another fight where I need to mostly stay back and let the enemies come to me.

Devilsblood Ascent (3 injuries) - There being 3 injuries here is a bit misleading; this is a rare battle you can use seven people in and with all my recent injuries I have to deploy Anadine who's still like Level 7 or something, obviously she dies during the fight. Otherwise, respect the enmeies who can counter ranged damage with Pounce (being at melee = they can't counter, so does being surrounded on all sides). Pektites return and die real fast as usual between low MDef and Magic Counter.

Mountain Temple 1 (1 reset, then 1 injury) - This is a tricky fight because the enemies have some nasty setups (lots of healing/support, Sniper Shot, a hard-hitting reaver, and a tanky bug with regen/reraise who you can't easily approach with melee because he'll push you into the lava). Fortunately, the enemies don't pressure too much; you have space at the start to wait and let them come to you. And doing this is very important, letting them walk past the bug and into my waiting death spells. I overextend just a bit on attempt 1 and die horribly for it.

Mountain Temple 2 (1 reset, then 0 injuries) - Raife and Grim Eye boss fight. Grim Eye's so weird, his skillset is mostly junk (sacrifice a big amount of HP to temporarily raise elemental defence by 25%, even the Wizard SCC doesn't care about this! ... and it's worse than it sounds, because enemies immediately waste their limited good potions healing him). The only thing scary about him is he can push people into the lava with his boomerang like a standard kawa. Raife also requires some respecting because if he does get to melee range he can do big damage with Infused Edge, get a kill, and Cleave to do even more nonsense. Otherwise not a very scary fight, bit with the Kyrie falls loss condition you do have to be careful.

Crossroads 2 - After Chapter 4 was so rude in general it's nice to get a breather fight. Bunch of demons, not too tricky, the one kinda scary thing normally is a full MT Grand Cross-style ability from the Overscourge but as it triggers up to six counters (each of which can add status!) it basically removes him as a threat after one use.

Illuster - Second apperance from an Aeoth, fire immunity (Molten Robe) returns. I stack it with dark defence from the Ebony Rod and suddenly very few things can actually do decent damage to me. Also easy.

Septimus/Secunda (10 resets, then 5 injuries) - This on the other hand is hell. The battle features Septimus (can instantly kill non-swimmers with Teleport), Secunda (instantly kills any wizard at melee range with her dual-wielding Infused Edge), two ranged attackers who can use One For All, and two bugs, one of whom has Adaptive Evasion and can hit for big melee damage, the other of which is the relative scrub of the fight but still not nothing. Two bosses, I lose one accessory slot due to Flippers, lots of ways for me to take big damage and die... definitely adds up! I generally try to target the vampire with dual guns first since s/he comes reasonably far forward turn 1 if baited properly. The archer usually needs to go next, although their evade can make that a pain. The Adaptive Evasion bug would be a good target since he both takes and deals a lot of damage, but since he becomes immune to magic after being hit by a spell (unless/until I physical him) this is often impractical. Occasionally I can bait him into using his AoE earth spell which gets him to take a bunch of damage back and that helps. Also, the more enemies actually bunch up for AoEs, the more that helps too. I usually end up trying to blitz Secunda at some point, with Septimus and the last bug being lower priority targets. Difficult to manage and pull off though. I end up doing the first tournament (Phoenix Band is a cool prize, one shot of Auto-Life) and gaining a few levels before I'm able to refine my strategy enough to win.

Raife 2 (1 reset, then 2 injuries) - I block fire and dark again to deal with the Aeoth (an Aeoth! At this time of year, in this small a room, localized entirely within the council chambers?) and the demons. This map's pretty simple on paper but my team is in tatters after the last fight so it's definitely the B squad on duty, and they do have some difficulty. But not too bad.

Primus (1 injury) - The most hilarious battle of the run. Primus is certainly competent enough, I have to equip Flippers once again lest he drown all of me, and that leaves him primarily using his AoE move Downfall, which does gravity damage.

Downfall is magic. It gets magic countered. For gravity damage. On a high-HP boss. Multiple times.

Two uses of Downfall by him and I'm through all ~1600 of his HP. He moved towards Kyrie's group at the west, the group at the east (including Raife) never gets to do anything. Which saves me the trouble of deciding if using Raife is legal or not.

Gelligh 3 (3 injuries) - I don't have too much to say about this fight. There are gyaums (the third tier tiger) who can Rally Howl to get some decent damage/speed to them and their allies, some knight with the lord skillset... it's not incompetent but not too notable.

Gelligh Foothills (4 injuries) - Weird fight. You start across a river in range of two ranged fighters who can do some pretty big damage. They don't move though, so run away from them and they become irrelevant. The immediate threats are an annoying druid with lots of damage/healing options and initiative, and also a unicorn-type enemy. Once they're dealt with and I survive that initial onslaught though I can mostly take the rest of the fight out at my leisure.

Raife 3 (11 resets, then 1 injury) - Well then.

This fight is competent enough normally, but is extra hard on this playthrough because it features a very rare enemy who always has Evade Magic, a Scoundrel/Ranger who can status and do decent damage. He's pretty physically tanky too; it takes Corrosive Bombs followed by anywhere from 6 to 10 attacks to drop him depending on who's landing the hits and how many back hits I get. Also, throughout all this, there's a bug in the back who will use the bulldrake full MT while sleeping skills, which slowly grind me down.

Setup is Glasses, status/sleep immunity on most people (I have three Amethyst Earrings by the time I win), and Plainwalker Boots for mobility. I end up not bothering with elemental defences.

The general strategy I come up with is:
-Lure Raife to hit at range 2 on his third turn (he always waits turn 1 then moves forward twice, with haste he gets there pretty quickly). Hopefully he uses a Warmage spell and I can counter it, usually I have to settle for him using a Marked skill though. Then unload on him and he dies. If he gets a turn at range 1 I lose, if an enemy heals him during this blitz I lose, so I mustn't spread my damage or let up. Fortunately, the enemies can't revive him (or any boss).
-Next up are the demons, one malcubus and one archafflictor. Both can be mildly scary with either damage or annoying status. Hopefully they bunch up a bit. Crucially, though, I want them to use both the good potions before I kill them - the scoundrel being left with one is a disaster. The werewolf will revive one of them when they die, no big.
-The vessel/healer can certainly be annoying, so when he comes forward I'm sure to kill him. Fortunately his durability is bad, just avoid Critical Rebirth.
-At this point there are three enemies left: the scoundrel, the bug who is slowly grinding me down, and the werewolf, who won't move until someone enters his melee attack range. DO NOT ENTER IT, his offence is scary as fuck. This is where I kill the scoundrel, having more people still alive now is a huge help for this of course. I have to think carefully about where to face so that he doesn't run back into the werewolf's melee range.
-Finally, kill the werewolf. He'll probably kill one person, no big. I have loads of MP now, two Locus spells trigger his reraise and a third finishes him.
-Bug dies last.

Occasionally the bug will have sleep immunity and this makes him easier, though he does now move forward. I don't manage to win on one of those attempts. I'm rather proud of the winning run though, while I do benefit from some AoEs I feel like I play really well and manage to only get 1 injury (plus Kyrie who doesn't count), which is crazy. I invariably use up almost my entire item supply.

Between fight attempts I do some randoms hoping for drops (I get a second Prism Rod, and two more Amethyst Earrings) as well as catching my levels up a little once again. I also try the second tournament but lose to the first fight.

But with that fight beaten, we're almost done!

Nervanzer Wellspring (1 injury) - Not too bad. Plaguestorm returns, once again Magic Counter does good work. This battle introduces the Abyssal Aeoth, the dark version of the original. Ebony Rods hard spoil this, though I end up not bothering on my two Prism Rod users, they can take half damage if they're actually hit which of course they usually aren't. Mostly routine.

Final battle (3 resets) - The Maw's a pretty tough cookie. 1340 HP, which isn't actually too much on paper, but he takes less damage (10%?) for each living ally. There are initially seven (eight really, but he kills one of them turn 1) and four of them are either hard to kill or come back. The boss uses Sacrifice to kill one of his friends turn 1 and receive every single stat buff, but never does that again. After that, the Maw's most dangerous move is Dreadmaw, a range 3 AOE which inflicts some statuses and also steals any buffs and gives them to the boss. Sadly, this includes my old friend Boon, so I actually try to get kills with my status immune folks and then don't put them near anyone else so this doesn't happen. Besides that the boss also has a range 7 basic physical. If he actually builds up to 30 MP (Dreadmaw costs 12) he'll use an AOE summon which doesn't do status/buffs but does do some nasty damage (150 or so). He only has 3 move so his scariest moves can be kited somewhat if necessary.

Backing him up are one aeoth of each flavour (I equip to get everyone to at least 50 fire/dark res, either Prism Rod + Black Robe or Ebony Rod + Molten Robe), and two viscerwyrms who will revive after 3 rounds. The one on the east side of the battle has Evade Magic so is absolutely not worth killing, the one in the back dies fast when I finally get there, but it's a bit of a trek and involves walking past every other enemy. The wyrms either use 10-range physicals (facing them is important, they're not negligible) or steal a bit of MP, even from their allies if nobody else is in range. When they reach 40 MP they summon a full-HP demon, so between their own revival and this ability the boss keeps gaining new friends, and hence recharging its damage reduction.

There are also one regular demon of each type. The harrower-type dies to fire magic turn 1, the Overscourge tends to get itself magic countered to death like the previous two, and the Malcubus... eh, is a bit magically bulky/annoying but manageable. The aeoths, I quickly decide, are not worth the time to kill.

Best-case scenario is thus the Maw having just three living allies for a mere 30% damage reduction, which isn't too bad. I focus on minimizing the bad things she can do, keeping my units alive (particularly the status immune ones, since they're so much better off against Dreadmaw spam), and killing her allies -> damaging her once the reduction is at only 30-40%. Not too much to say, it's a reasonably tricky slugfest to optimize and I have to use all my healing items of any sort, but I do pull it off after some refinements.

There's a second phase but getting it is either impossible on this SCC or at best requires farming rare drops twice, one of which is in the final battle itself. Noooope! I'm good with this ending.

Fun times! Final levels were 35-39 on my main six (Kyrie, Hubert, Rune, Jelanda, Lulu, Yates)

Compared to FFT SCCs you definitely notice the lower damage scale, Wizards were typically killing in 4-5 hits with Level 1 spells (so 2-3 with Locus, L2 somewhere in the middle) at most points in the game. Lots of managing turns and MP to get off the spells I needed. Magic Counter is great (unlike FFT), you can quickly take out certain enemies if you bait them into using AOE spells, and it even sends status back, too. Boon's nice for a little damage push, and Smart Casting's extremely helpful. I thought I might forgo it on some people for healing but it turns out the healing sucks, while Smart Casting is really useful.

It'll be interesting to compare how other classes do. I really have no idea.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 06:03:56 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Hyrule Warriors 2 - Started this. Not much to say yet!

Laggy Fantasy Tactics - Replay time! Black Eagles theme team. Finished Chapter 1.

Byleth - Ramza's non-binary stats. Building as a White Mage/Squire, has Cure, Cure 2, Raise, and Reraise so far. Is the only person with revival and most of my trouble comes from when they die early, I should probably invest in durability passives.

Edelgard - Dragoon with Equip Axe. It's remarkable how effective this setup is as soon as you get axes, even off female PA it can do 77 damage without an accessory slot. Has Hi-Potion and Potion, should probably get Phoenix Down to have another, tanky reviver. Punch Art's also a thought.

Hubert - Time Mage with Don't Move (Banshee), Slow (Swarm, not that Hubert has that), and Reflect (Rally Res I guess). Also has Fire secondary. Working on Short Charge so I can use Short Charge Death.

Dorothea - Has Bolt and Bolt 2, going through physical classes to get Dancer.

Petra - Has been an archer and a thief with Charge, will eventually go to Ninja.

Fort Zeakden was definitely the hardest fight of the chapter.

Maybe.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
FFX: lingering thoughts and replay highlights

I still think i would have gotten more enjoyment out of Shadow Hearts 2 than FFX.  But Shadow Hearts 2 is rare and FFX has very high distribution (and is thus easy to find) so that's how things landed.  For where it falls in my personal PS2 RPG ranking, probably something like Mana Khemia > Wild Arms 3 > Disgaea > Final Fantasy X = Grandia 2 = Front Mission 4.

Beating the game took about two hours from loading at last save point to end of credits which is pretty much what I predicted.  So it's not something I'll be doing much, maybe not ever again.  Managed to tug at my emotions despite knowing what was coming, impressive.

Replaying it once, maybe not more than once though.  It goes smoother now that I'm not obsessively using Lancet on every enemy out there to avoid missing blue magic.  Some random highlights:

Pulled off a miracle win at the required Blitzball game.  I was down 0-2 after the first half and decided I'd accept whatever the end result was rather than reset.  Because that would involve more Blitzball and no thanks to that.  Scored a goal with Tidus, then scored one with Wakka after he came in all while the Goers didn't score again.  Thus ending the game with a 2-2 tie and sending it into overtime.  RNG gave the Aurochs the ball at the tossup.  Got the ball over to Wakka, got as close to the goal as I could manage, and took a shot under less than ideal conditions.  RNG ruled in my favor blasting a goal through a defender and the goalie to score the game-winning goal.  That felt good to win since I was ready to take whatever result I got.

Took several resets but I was able to shove the Chocobo Eater off the cliff.  Took some doing since I didn't grind for Slow.  It kept running out of HP first.  Needed to look up the AI as well as some tight turn management to pull it off.  Got my Key Spheres and after overkilling Sinspawn Gui (easy with a Seymour -ara spell) and the ones on the Moonflow road, have enough to open every Lv 1 Lock on the grid.

Got Attack Reels at Thunder Plains. (started the requisite tournament at Guadosalam but didn't finish until later)  It's fairly hard to win right away.  Damned Nimrook of the Al Bhed Psyches is such a wall with a very low leveled team.  Tidus still had only one use of Jecht Shot per half and it's still just under an even chance to score at point blank.  To my surprise, Datto was relevant to winning (hadn't found a replacement shooter yet)  He won the dice roll with Nap Shot, putting the goalie into slumberland, allowing him or Tidus to score later.  The AI wasn't able to penetrate my defense wall and goalie and I won that last game of the tourney 1-0

Seeing Attack Reels do triple-digit damage on normal defense is such a weird feeling.  Against crowds, sometimes an MT Element Reels would be the more effective choice.

Didn't really realize how good I had it before the first time with Rikku and an Initiative weapon on her until I went without this game.  Ambushed by 3 enemies, party is all under half HP before I can move.  FFX randoms are scarily competent if left unchecked.

Got the Sun Sigil on my first visit to Calm Lands.  I got a very encouraging result early which gave enough motivation to keep trying.  Took several separate sessions of about 20-30 attempts per session.  I got that magical run before I reached the point where I would have put it off for later.  So Tidus' is the first Celestial I end up completing, long before he has the Strength to take advantage of Break Damage Limit.  Just as rewarding is the feeling I never have to do this again.  (unless I feel masochistic enough to replay the game and go for the Celestial weapons)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 03:16:10 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Fell Seal - Templar SCC-

Looking at this class at a glance, they have a pretty good and self-sustaining skillset. It was interesting to see how all of the different abilities worked together.

Skillset usefulness in general:

Holy Chant -  50-60 Holy-element damage around the user in all directions. Decent but the damage is not that great and it uses 8 MP, which you want to save for Righteous Blade. I mostly used this against the Pektites, who massively resist physicals.

Soothing Chant - 50 - 60 healing in a plus around the user, including themselves. Useful because the healing is pretty limited otherwise.

Cleansing Blade - Magic damage that gets rid of buffs. Situationally very useful and high damage, but didn’t use that often.

Emboldening Chant - +ATK in a plus around the user, including themselves. I used this turn 1 of every fight with at least two people. Attack buffer with subtractive defense is great.

Righteous Blade - Huge Holy-element damage later in the fight - turn 2 or 3. Hits like a truck — became even better later when you encounter a lot of enemies weak to holy, who are oneshot by it even without buffing.

Siphon- an excellent MP manipulator in both directions because it both removes enemies’ abilities to do their turn 2 11-20 MP crap, but also allows you to use Righteous Blade on Turn 2 (as long as you drain at least 4 MP which you usually will). Excellent tool both to decrease enemy offensive output but to increase your own.

Rapturous Chant - Interesting skills. It allows you to heal both status and ~90-100 HP with everyone while sacrificing yourself with no Injury, usually used by a character who would otherwise just die (because Soothing Chant’s healing isn’t that great). I ended up using this a few decisive times to win fights where I was highly statused and out of Remedies, and it’s also pretty cheesy in the escape missions since you can just let Kyrie go to the exit and have every else use it and win without penalty.

Evade Attack - This ability made Septimus 2 pretty easy because it makes Secunda’s attacks pretty weak and the Vampire / Ranger strategies of One For All didn’t work as planned. Otherwise it was generically useful against Assassins and other high damage with basic physicals enemies.

Resilience - -1 turn on statuses came in really handy in a few fights, especially the wyrm fight and any fight that has traps / enemies that counter attacks with Root/Slow/etc.

Defense Expert - Templar is pretty tanky because of this!

Notable fights:

Early game was generally easy. I think the toughest fights in the first half parts were the second temple, the second Mercier fight (I thought I might have to reset just because I couldn’t reach him in his starting position because of Templar’s bad jump, but he came down), and the Baaz Island fight right before the third temple.  A special shoutout, though, to the Wyrm fight, which was both pretty tricky but moreover REALLY FUCKING LONG. He kept Rooting me and I only have two range. He is resistant as fuck to physicals. And because my healing sucked, I had to dedicate a lot of turns to doing it. It took me 1:07 to finish the fight. I did not game over (thank god) but it was quite a trial.

I had a reset on the usually easy ship fight because the sleeping guy just slept in the corner and I had no range nor Flippers. Mistakes were made!

Septimus was screwed over by Assassins not liking Evade Attack. Amazing. The Aqueduct was very tricky for this team — I had three resets, but after turning the game off and coming back, I realized I should have been draining MP aggressively instead of being passive turn 1.

It’s very nice that Aoeths are weak to holy. It really made the fights with them a lot simpler than they could have been. Godeater Wastes was tough but not tooo bad.

The Mountain Temple 1 gave me a couple of resets and I had one reset on being thrown into lava, but nothing too bad.

I had the easiest Septimus + Secunda fight I’ve ever done! Evade Attack is spectacular there. Had a reset on Raife 2 just because I fell into a hole early and was never able to recover. Fuck Raife and Cleave. Primus wasn’t too bad.

The third Gelligh fight gave me a lot of trouble - I ended up having to duel down the Knight after most of my team was decimated — five Injuries, but I won on the first try!

Raife 3 was a nightmare. I think I had about ten resets. Had to lure him to a good spot and MP buff to beat on his evil ass. Also had to go grind to find a Catalyst to upgrade my Phoenix Down because it was just too frustrating without it. Only had one character left at the end, and six Injuries.

Last two fights were trivialized by the Holy weakness and Righteous Blade. 1 Injury on each but only because of lazy play, tbh.

Great fun!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 05:04:28 AM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Oops! all swords!

Swords are probably the worst weapon type in FE3H. So what if... that's all I could use? Maddening NG of course, Crimson Flower. Turned out fine, albeit definitely harder than the mage-only playthrough. I decided ally-targeting magic is legal, but offensive magic is not. Gambits are fine of course.

Byleth: Enlightened One just to make the training easier. Hits hard, has good charm, gets Windsweep, but is infantry. Sword of Creator is unusually valuble because it and Levin Sword are the only swords which can threaten/attack at range beyond 1, so Byleth is clutch for actually reaching some other enemies early.

Edelgard, Petra, Ingrid: Wyvern Lords. No swordfaire blah blah blah but with that strength they deal almost as much damage as the swordfaire classes anyway. Anyway wyvern is amazing as always, Petra/Ingrid did the dodgetank and doubling thing while Edelgard just decided to have bonkers strength/speed (party-best) even for her so that was a thing. Not as good as axe wyverns obviously, but very effective. Best units overall, especially Edelgard and Petra.

Dorothea, Marianne, Constance: The magic swordgirl brigade, all with Hexblade/Soulblade. Marianne and Dorothea went Valkyrie then Mortal Savant, Constance was Dark Flier. Lysithea has Soulblade too but she's a later recruit with fewer supports and no Physic so I didn't end up bothering. This group also all gets Levin Swords which is nice for actually having ranged offence, and obviously Physic (for Doro/Mari) is great.

Ferdinand: Dancer. He was getting pretty horribly RNG screwed, fortunately it didn't matter too much! Was still able to dodgetank effectively in Dancer.

Felix and Yuri: Assassins. Yuri gets early Windsweep, Felix (recruited in C6 for Merc growths) just has some pretty killer stats. Yuri hovered around the 10th or 11th unit slot so ended up falling into a bit of a Windsweep/battalion (Gautier or Indech) utility role, Felix I did a crit build for which was semi-reliable. Assassin has great synergy with dodgetank wyverns since it's so easy to keep them safe.

Jeritza: Just standard Dark Knight, gets Heal and Restore and Darting Blow and Counterattack and Move+1 along with almost joining with Windsweep. He's got pretty solid stats outside of charm/luck but not getting Death Blow somewhat offsets that.

Manuela: Was mostly Dorothea's adjutant, but also came out to play as a Bishop with Warp on the last battle.

Balthus: Solid earlygame, then rapidly declines as others start doubling and he doesn't. I made him a Hero to do Defiant Strength->Assassin but he's dogshit as a Hero (who isn't?) and by the time I got to Assassin his stats had fallen too far behind to compete, oh well.

Linhardt: Some early Physic stuff but since that was literally all he could do aside from hit things for some laughable Steel Sword damage (granted! Did get 3 kills) he was destined to be benched once I got Marianne.

Highlights:

-Enemies with Swordbreaker, i.e. paladins and pegasi, are of course a pain to hit, mostly pegasus riders because they actually have good evade. Grounder is generally my best tool, but even then the accuracy/damage is shaky and pegasus riders in particular hit very hard back. Going for ranged hits and gambits, along with Windsweep, also helped. Chapter 7, 17, and 18 were arguably the hardest fights due to these enemies.

-Swords are bad at killing things, but they are better than most weapons at criticals! The Wo Dao+ has more crit (5, granted), less weight, and more hit than killer weapons, so it's easy to double with and fish for criticals, which given my offensive woes I was often doing. I'm not gonna hype this because it really does reflect how much more trouble swords have at killing in general, but hey, it meant I got to hear lots of crit quotes, and that's pretty awesome.

-The Rapier+ is another highlight sword weapon, and went a long way to making paladins not the problem they could be. It's accurate and pretty strong, extremely so against weakness. The mages could one-shot enemies if striking weakness, and others could double for good effectiveness. There's one from Hanneman/Maneula's paralogue and one from the pagan altar and both were passed around a fair deal.

-Sword combat arts are largely an underwhelming set. Wrath Strike is a bland and so-so power booster, Grounder is accuracy and anti-pegasus troubleshooting, for those who get nothing else. For unique ones... Felix has Sunder to improve his crit fishing if he can't double (pretty situational), Byleth and Petra have Bane of Monsters which is great when operative (if less impressive than some other anti-monster skills). There's also Haze Slice and Finesse Blade, neither of which I used. By far the best sword art is Windsweep (Yuri C+, and Byleth/Jeritza A), since it disables counterattacks, even if the attack misses, making it the best option for safely chipping certain bosses and tough enemies.

Linhardt 3
Ferdinand 32
Jeritza 34
Balthus 38
Marianne 59
Yuri 60
Constance 85
Felix 104
Ingrid 116
Dorothea 122
Byleth 150
Petra 181
Edelgard 212

Most under 200 battles, Edelgard 423 and Byleth 337. I forgot to note Petra.

Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Sometimes I play FE3H, other times I play LFT and put FE3H into it.

Laggy Fantasy Tactics

Byleth - Basically just dual Squire/White Mage. Reaction was typically Dragon Spirit, support varied from DU / MDU / MAU / Short Charge, didn't really get a great move skill, so I mostly just used Move-HP Up. Later on they could use Excalibur to boost holy, except that I forgot it boosted holy until like the last three fights so I was using Excalibur + Chameleon Robe for a lot of fights, oops. White Magic and Yell/Cheer Up are useful support of course.

Edelgard - Axe Jump. This is very effective out of the gate with the first axe but it really doesn't age that well, and not just because Jump itself has charge time problems lategame. Increasingly just used defensive Punch Art skills later on, eventually swapping over to Squire secondary for the last few fights. So not great by the end, but effective from late chapter 1 to chapter 3 or so. Typical reaction was Dragon Spirit (I guess that's my crest of flames standin), support was always Equip Axe of course (except for Squire + Martial Arts at the end), move was Move+2.

Hubert - Black/Time mostly, with little stops in other mage classes... unlocked Calculator but didn't use it. Short Charge Death was the mainstay strategy on top of all the usual Time Magic shenanigans (except Meteor, didn't get that) and a little offensive magic. Reaction was initially Weapon Guard but later transitioned to HP Restore, move was ultimately Teleport (lots of time in Time Mage anyway).

Dorothea - A dancer sandwich. By which I mean she was a Black/White Mage earlygame, then a Dancer midgame, then a Black/White Mage at the end. It worked! Dancer doesn't do magic skillsets well so I gave her some defensive Punch Art and Martial Arts (or sometimes DU / MDU) for Charka/Revive when she wasn't just dancing things to death. She also used the fast-levelling of Dance to snag Move+3 (along with the Monk stuff), and used HP Restore as her reaction typically. As a mage at the end she ran Magic Attack Up for the most part, for usual wizard kaboom. Fire 4 does look an awful lot like 3H Meteor, so that was nice.

Petra - Ninja ultimately, with a bunch of Archer/Thief to get there. Charge, Attack Up/Concentrate (sometimes defensive boosts earlier), Abandon with Mantle for dodgetanking, Move+2. Nothing about this is surprising or unfamiliar. Works solidly as always.

I had two resets on both Zeakden and the Execution Site, then it was mostly clean sailing with the odd reset here and there... until Rofel and Kletian in the final dungeon, easily the two hardest fights of the playthrough. Long fights always got me overwhelmed so I had to tinker with my setup until I could pull off quick kills, which isn't easy with how durable these bastards are now and how scary their support is. How you know this isn't vanilla FFT (I mean, if the unironic axe use didn't tip you off).

I'm also playing Brig 2 (Tim, just promoted) and Hyrule Warriors 2.

Maybe.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Hey yo, DL, it's been a while since I posted here, I've been playing X-Com 2. A lot of X-Com 2. X-Com 2 is good, you should play it if you like SRPGs.

Anyway, I'm trying a Commander run, because lategame on Normal turns out to be too much of a roflstomp. Also, because I am a huge dork, I built all permanent Wild Arms PCs in the character generator for my recruit pool. (This uh, might be a game where I turn out to be driven to make lots of stupid novelty runs a la Dark Souls.)

Day one goes pretty well! Game gives me Virginia, Clarissa, Emma and Carol (Reaper because backpack of death) for my first mission team. My starting region is Africa, and the region bonus for Africa in this campaign is Live Fire Training: all rookies sent through the Guerilla Training School promote to Sergeant instead of Squaddie. Holy shit that is an amazing perk to draw for your starting area.

Less good: Assassin draws regeneration for one of her perks. This is fuckawful to deal with on an opponent that likes to cloak and hide. R.I.P. Jack van Burace, scrubby sniper; bondmate Labby goes berserk and empties all her chaingun rounds without hitting anything; we barely manage to hold it together long enough to evacuate the mission VIP, and ultimately I savescum a little to avoid the timeline where Rebecca gets mind-controlled immediately before evacuating with no one left to save her.

(Generally I try to avoid savescummery, usually at most I will revert to a pre-battle save in order to completely reroll a mission that seemed cursed from word Go, but dammit, it felt like anyone who'd survived that far deserved to escape. And no, I'm not touching Ironman with a ten-foot clown pole, I've had too many instances of "Whoops, your dude stepped one tile too far while looking for a flanking position and pulled all the other pods, R.I.P. you for trying to take advantage of game mechanics.")

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Wild X-Com 2: Trying to train up heroes from the later two factions. This is rough because Avril spends half of her first mission locked in stasis by alien psychics. Game, please, I'm the one that's supposed to be memeing here. Similarly, I'm currently sending Kanon on every HP-boosting covert op I can get because she seems to spend almost all her time in the infirmary after getting shot/stabbed/exploded to 1HP. This, again, is a little too on-brand.

Expanding has been an ordeal, but Europe's region bonus this time is Tactical Analysis. Tactical Analysis is completely OP, so yes, thanks, yoink. Probably gonna hit the Hunter this afternoon so I don't have any interference for the Black Site mission. (I haven't even encountered the Warlock yet and I'm noooot in a big hurry to do so, since it seems like the later you meet them, they later they start getting buffed.)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Fell Seal- fin!  The Raife's last stand and the psuedo-final map are both chaotic nonsense that can get pretty frustrating, but the rest of the endgame is honestly in that hard to find fun-frustrating zone which is very cool.  Honestly between that and the significantly higher emphasis on class balance, in several ways this is probably a better game than FFT in gameplay terms once it gets going?  But the early game can definitely be a slog too.  It's strange.

Last thing on the FFT comparison, I do appreciate how it handles the cast in terms of a) giving you story PCs early so you can play with the unique classes properly and b) letting them stick around and form actual character dynamics, something FFT's permadeath prevents.

Anyway so you can absolutely tell this was made by a small team that had to be budget conscious.  The story here gives us a simple but distinct setting which gives the characters a sliver of morality to debate among themselves, which as noted works better when there's a stable cast dynamic.  The tensions between factions (aside from Everyone vs Immortals) within the setting feels really undercooked, but the in terms of just being setting details for the cast to react to and have to grapple with they serve their purpose well.  Like, the fact that the Kawa elders just... calmly listen to what Kyrie needs, makes sure she understands what they need from her, and her allies are all on board with being respectful and making the exchange cordial and productive is just not... how jRPG quests are structured!  It's cool.  Not amazing, but cool.

What I'm saying is you can tell this is written by nerds who played a lot of these games and understood the limits of their time and budget constraints.  8/10
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Wild X-Com 2, days 3 & 4: Hunter has been hunted. This was scary! I'm mostly still jammed on tier 2 equipment. Most of the beam research is done, but I have negligible funds to actually manufacture the equipment. The mid-game resource crunch is for real this time. It's a good thing I noticed you can double the mission timers, because that Avatar Project meter has spent a looot of time over twelve dots. Plenty of facilities to nuke and I just can't find a buffer in between plot missions where I don't have tons of people injured or tired.

Memorial time again! Perfectly routine mission, primary mission objective is complete, just need to mop up the last pod of enemies and call it a day. Let's toss some scanners around and see what we find? ...Oh. Oh, that's a sectopod. Okay, it's pretty far away, let's get everyone set up--oh, what's that? One tile of Dean's movement took him within enemy sightlines? Okay. Okay.

I freezebomb it, Tactical Analysis hits it, I toss out a mimic beacon, and it still gets enough actions to one-shot Tony* from full health with a crit. Then a lancer runs in from out of nowhere and one-shots Zed from full health with a crit. For fuck's sake, game. Then Zed's bondmate Clive goes berserk and fires pistol rounds into the sectopod until it explodes. Sometimes I'll savescum to reroll a mission that started out with someone getting pointlessly wasted, but late mission deaths feel more like part of a story. I do tend to keep them, unless it's a complete mission failure.

So yeah, we're into August and game is still scary as shit. This feels like the balance of fun vs. tense I was looking after Normal getting stomped in the endgame last campaign.

(*Because there are no dogs in this game, Tony was a robot.)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
XCOM2 is and remains one of the best games of the previous decade. I can't wait for it to get a real sequel.  I also wish my PC could actually play it without hideous slowdown.

Brig- Been playing this again because it's fun. Also, best generic classes remain Treasure Hunter>Sniper>everything else>Saint>Champion>Cardinal. Champion's better at L20 than Saint, but oof to the first 20 levels of sadness.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Honestly Champion's not that great even at 20, they get an accuracy push but that's about it? Their only skillset expansion is a range-1-but-no-movement skill on the literal worst class in the game at using those. Granted the accuracy is nice, so Saint arguably gets even less. I increasingly think Saints should all be reclassed to something else at 15 if not earlier - adding Brave Song or Frost/Charm to that skillset (and eventually even more) is a lot more valuable than sticking it out for Area Cure/Veil while having slightly better stats (mostly HP, since the Saint line is pretty good at that).

I think I agree with your ranking otherwise. Treasure Hunter and Sniper have ranged post-movement offence and that's just so good (Centaur is a top-tier monster line for the same reason). Of the classes in the middle, Viking is definitely towards the bottom (I'm not convinced they're above Saint), Assassin's probably somewhere towards the top, and I have a hard time deciding exactly where the offensive mages go since they range from real good to "welp, time to waste my turn moving" depending on the state of the battle. Also they're straight-up bad classes if you only have 3 command range, fortunately few natural mages do (Matthias and Frederico mostly... they have some filler use, but ugh).

Brigandine 2 - Beaten as Tim. Tim is so, so close to being the most sympathetic ruler by far; his criticisms of the other nations and their ideological prattle are generally on point. Then they add some weird eugenics bloodline fascination. There are no good guys.

Tim himself is a great unit but definitely suffers from the same thing Talia does where I sometimes overestimate his durability and insta-lose the fight because of it. He's better than Talia though because he starts at Level 18 and his personal toys are... if not outright better, then more flexible (in particular, Tim actually gets a great post-movement skill in Imperial Benevolence). Super high magic pool of course.

Ginger's probably the best of the offensive mages I've used... high magic pool, good stats, respectable starting level. Meteor Doom's a fun toy, and as always Charm is great to try to steal monsters if you can win without your attack mage's turn.

Alsin's solid, good out of the gate (high level, great strength, competent pool) but has a bad class (not easily fixed at his level) and 3 command range to hold him back a bit.

Sin's a fun pickup though he's a bit squishy for what he is - still, not gonna argue with Double Movement and good general stuff otherwise (pool in particular). Him leaving at the end was a bit of a rude surprise though, does make him in practice one of the most limited units in the game.

The rest of the plot-important tolks in this country are all pretty shaky, though I got a bit of use out of all of them.

Sylvie's great, sniper with high magic pool yes please. Starting at Level 9 really doesn't slow her down much. Noll is also very solid, pool not as high but not bad, and yeah I'm definitely on the treasure hunter train now, they good.

Other units I got to Level 20+ were Hazarov, Scymerius, Rensei, Leonora (I beat Norzaleo ASAP), and Iyona. Might be forgetting someone.

Maybe.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Wild X-Com 2: Assassin assassinated. Warlock...warred against? Endgame looms. Or cowers more like, because even on Commander, endgame tech and Chosen weapons are just too broken.

Hitting life goals you didn't know you had edition: find sectopod huddle with a heavy mech and a shieldbearer next to a gas station --> Reaper attaches mine to sectopod --> Reaper attaches mine to mech --> sniper fires at sectopod from a mile away --> enjoy the fireworks and be amazed they don't crash the PS4.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Wild X-Com 2: Fin~

Final mission party: Clive, Marivel, Avril, Yulie, Rebecca, Carol. Pre-final sabotage party: Clarissa, Kanon, Jet.

Some PC notes below. A couple odd class matches, since you can't choose with your early rookies. Some nicknames were random when I couldn't think of something more appropriate than what the game chose. I figure mostly these will be obvious (though Marivel's was randomly selected and absolutely perfect).

Wild Arms 1

• Rudy Roughknight: Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Film, because I could never get a second Skirmisher.
  • Cecilia "Lightning" Adlehyde: Specialist Colonel. Obvious healbot, except she got both of the overwatch upgrades and could basically just counterattack anything that happened by endgame until she ran out of bullets. And the Disruptor Rifle holds a lot of bullets.
  • Jack van Burace: Sharpshooter Corporal. KIA by Assassin early in the run.
  • Emma "Shrink" Hetfield: Specialist Colonel. Techie, frags robots, etc. It's a helpful skillset, but not one that I find exceptionally valuable for the final mission.
  • Jane "Calamity" Maxwell: Sharpshooter Colonel. Lemme just take all these free pistol shots instagibbing every Lost on the screen, thx.
  • Zed "Monster" Z: Grenadier Sergeant. I had a lot of trouble getting a competent Grenadier ranked up this run. Zed came out of the gate with amazingly promising stats and got overkilled by a random lancer crit. R.I.P., you goofy bastard.

Wild Arms 2

• Ashley Winchester: Also Sir-Not-Appearing-In-This-Film, couldn't get a second Templar.
  • Lilka "Scratch" Eleniak: Sharpshooter Colonel. The B-team sniper.
  • Brad "Not A Hero" Evans: Grenadier Colonel. Most of his ranks were from covert ops, because he got blasted directly into sickbay whenever I tried to use him.
  • Tim "Shellshock" Rhymeless: Grenadier Sergeant. Mostly backbencher. Bonded with Gallows, which was one of those nice it's almost like the game knows moments.
  • Aisha "Kanon" Bernadette: Skirmisher Colonel.
  • Marivel "Dusk" Armitage: Psi-operative. Primary esper, the others saw relatively little use. I even built the psy lab earlier than usual this run, but it just takes so long to train someone up.

Wild Arms 3

• Virginia "Wings" Maxwell: Ranger Colonel.
  • Gallows "Slim" Caradine: Sharpshooter Sergeant. Spent most of his time on the bench with Tim. Really off class selection by the game here, hard to be enthused about using him when I had cooler snipers around.
  • Jet "Ecto" Enduro: Psi-Operative. Purely backup for missions where I didn't need a slot for anyone I was actively trying to level.
  • Clive "Professor" Winslet: Sharpshooter Colonel. Oh hey, remember that bit above about cool snipers? That is Clive. Clive was good. Definitely the star of the last battle, hop to a platform and Death From Above Darklance kills for days.

Wild Arms 4

• Jude "Preacher" Maverick: Lategame pickup, tossed him into psi-lab because it was empty at that point and I didn't need any class in particular by then. Participated in one mission. Good for you, Jude.
  • Yulie "Doc" Ahtreide: Specialist Colonel. Yulie was Cecilia mk. 2. Or Cecilia was Yulie mk. 2, I forget exactly. Both were great, and I usually tried to have one or the other in my party whenever injuries or fatigue didn't prevent it.
  • Arnaud Vasquez: See Rudy and Ashley's entries. Should've been my second Reaper, but the game decided to give me some rando instead when I ran the recruitment op. Lame.
  • Raquel "Intruder" Applegate: Ranger Colonel. Implacable + Reaper mode = really just Raquel's actual WA4 skillset. Definite closest match to source material here. Yo I'm just gonna take all the turns and cut all the dudes at once. Lategame highlight in the Gatekeeper mission: oh, right, this map is full of burrowed Chrysalids. Okay, Raquel, you just run out there and counter-gib anything that charges at you. Rangers are so good.

Wild Arms 5

• Dean "Fury" Stark: Ranger Captain. Late-ish recruit, definite C-lister.
  • Rebecca "Spider" Streisand: Ranger Colonel, stealth variety. Key officer earlygame, but not gonna be in on our final mission as long as I've got a Reaper to do the job better.
  • Avril "Ice Queen" vent Fleur: Templar Colonel. Templars are immensely satisfying to use. This campaign was the first time I'd actually got one to Colonel to try psionic storm. 100% worth the investment.
  • Carol "Stiletto" Anderson: Reaper Colonel. Pretty comfortable saying MVP here. Just being able to scout out enemy positions in almost complete safety is a huge boon at any point in the game. Being able to mine enemy mobs or one-shot an Avatar with Banish is just a bonus.
  • Greg "Crusher" Russelberg: Grenadier Captain. I'd say "B-team grenadier," but I feel like all of my grenadiers were B-team at best this run.
  • Chuck "Mayday" Preston: Specialist Lieutenant. C-team healer.

Wild Arms XF

• Clarissa "The Kid" Arwin: Sharpshooter Colonel. Party kill leader.
  • Felius "Timecop" Arwin: Specialist Major. B-team techie.
  • Levin "Preacher" Brenton: Yeah, I know the game gave him the same nickname as Jude. I decided I didn't care enough to change either one, because both were entirely superfluous recruits that I only picked up so everyone would be accounted for.
  • Labyrinthia "Capable" Wordsworth: Grenadier Colonel. Also needed a bunch of covert op boosts to get her rank up. Party-worst Willpower. I felt like she never got over Jack getting fragged.
  • Alexia "Princess" Elesius: Ranger Major. The B-team Rebecca.
  • Ragnar "Blitz*" Lebrett: Grenadier Lieutenant. Lots of bench time here, I barely ever had room for grenadiers this run. (*Come on, you know I had to.)
  • Tony: Was a robot, but got schooled in superior firepower by a bigger robot.

i r dork

Okay, so that's done. Waffling on trying Legend difficulty. I want to take a break, but on the other hand, I could see getting brain-nabbed by the right theme if it came to me. XG/XS? Eh, cute idea, but I don't think the series feels that important to me. Suikoden? Eh, it's cool, but lack of canon last names for a bunch of peeps would probably bug me. ...Oh wait, Suicide Squad. Shit. I'm doing this at some point, aren't I?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 02:59:17 PM by Sierra »

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Maximum Rush has drawbacks, but it's better than anything else Saints have. The class's growth starts helping; in particular their STR and AGI both are pretty respectable lategame.  It says something about how bad Grapplers are that they have a self attack buff skill and yet I rated an entire one knight from that line (Alsin) above 3/10. Assassin I like in theory but man. I've gotten to the point where I will convert any assassin L10 and below (Ann, Shuana, Diana) to Archer because their crazy high bases work so well with Archer skillset/growth. Kate and Dellah are just about the only Assassins I use in game for that reason. Jazz is a lost cause regardless due to rune problems and joining late and underleveled.

Vikings... Ginny is scary in spite of the terrible rune, accuracy and mdef because he hits so hard.  He definitely requires a very specific setup (Halo/React) but it's worth the payoff; the offense can't be beat by anyone not named Rudo. As a whole the Viking line isn't great before L20 though and they're not good units outside of Ginny and Adieu.

And yeah, that basically sums up Tim's quest. I liked Sin commenting about how pompous the other leaders sound in the ending. The knights themselves are better than you expect as fighters; Noll/Iyona/Sylvie all stand out for that as noted. The flipside is that some of the plot knights are pretty bad and they are kind of short on knights to boot.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Project Triangle- Saw the demo of this last weekend. There's a lot of promise on the gameplay front; the second battle when you refuse the Archduke's demands in particular was very well done and had good depth to it.

The writing for the heroes was somewhere between stilted and bad. Some of the villains flashed personality and character on their scenes at least, but the main heroes... oof.

In spite of that, I'm very interested in the main game. The splitting storylines do have potential to be decent even with the heroes being duds.
-------------------

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
Had some amazon gift cards so I picked up Mario Golf and Scarlet Nexus.

Mario Golf is fun....but also has some issues with multiplayer, as in...Speed and Battle mode are locked at 2 players max, which is hella lame. Also the RPG mode is fun, but super short. Beat that in one sitting basically.

Starting up Scarlet Nexus. This game seems fun. Will dive into it more Wednesday.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Been a while since I've done an FFX post.  I'm very far in the postgame at present with a 31/35 vicory rate at the Monster Arena.  But the highlights I'm posting now are from way earlier in the maingame.

Won a Stonetouch weapon for Auron early.  And for some reason, he kept winning the coinflip and landing petrify on high HP enemies.  Ochus are terrible at the time they're first encountered.  Gobs of HP, status ailments on all of its attacks, lousy AP for the effort to fight them.  Auron kept making statues out of them.  Iron Giant?  Statue, like 4 in a row.  Chimera?  Statue.  It was quite silly up until the Calm Lands when I switched over to Capture weapons for Tidus/Wakka/Auron in randoms.

Got rocked by Total Annihilation going for the Overkill.  Only one left standing was Auron with about 200 HP.  Sucks for you Seymour; it's not zero.  Got the other two revived (so they don't miss out on AP) and finished him off with an Aeon Overdrive for the Overkill.

Spectral Keeper: Berserk Ward on Tidus + Provoke + Counterattack = Battle wins itself.  I threw Protect on him and stacked a bunch of Cheer to reduce the incoming damage even more.

Nearly every boss from Spherimorph on drops uncommon Sphere Grid items.  Felt good to nail Overkills on every one of them.  Except for Yenke - 1 less Return Sphere isn't worth resetting over.  Also, Kimahri's damage options at the time were meh so didn't have a means of guaranteeing two Overkills in the 2 on 1 story fight.

During the Jupiter Sigil grind, one League had me maintaining a perfect record of never getting scored on until the very last game of that League.  CPU scored on me in the last game with under 15 seconds left on the clock.  And of all the players it could have been, it was that snob Bickson of the Goers.  Not that it mattered for the final outcome as my team was leading 6-0 but the timing felt like something out of a fanfic.

Didn't think I did that much grinding before Omega Ruins but Ultima Weapon was still a pushover.  It got off one attack while I was getting everyone Hasted and acting for AP and I don't think it would have made it to a second even if I hadn't summoned an Aeon to crush it.  Omega went the same way, just bigger numbers and again using an Aeon to deal the finishing blow for the Overkill. (wimpy US original Omega Weapon)
    That single attack was a physical.  Which missed.  (evil laugh)  Would need to go out of my way to see their attack animations.  But Omega is also the one boss rude enough to not be near a save point that I wasn't inclined to take that chance.  (Ultima Weapon?  Mid-boss status.  Or gate with HP)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 12:41:49 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Belatedly, @Sierra, I was definitely amused at all the poor Wild Arms squaddies and their nicknames.

Fell Seal: Did a Gunner SCC. Easier than I was expecting given that the class has bad damage and no healing! Let's break the class down.

Enraging Bullet (range 8 physical with 50% berserk) is the money skill of the class. Since you have huge range, it's often very easy to berserk enemies such that their closest target is one of their friends. You can typically berserk 3 enemies on round 1, each wastes two turns AND does two attacks against their friends, and may even trigger some fun counterattacks too. I shouldn't need to explain the action economy of how this wins fights. Gunners generally don't have too much trouble whenever most key enemies are vulnerable to berserk.

Cripping Bullet and Silencing Bullet are more accurate (75%) than Enraging and last a turn longer, but their effects aren't nearly as potent, since enemies afflicted by these statuses still have valid actions like items or basic physicals. Still, silencing is 100% worth it against pektites (who have trash physicals and don't use items), and otherwise the see use to reduce the offence of berserk-immune enemies. They're also the most accurate statuses to apply, which matters for Opportunistic Bullet (see below).

Slowing Bullet is a decent effect, but at only 50% accurate it's often a backup option when other things are immuned, or if neither silence/cripple are useful, or just as a filler move on an already statused enemy (since statuses wears off with turns, this keeps them affected longer!).

Opportunistic Bullet is the main damage-dealing method. 0.8x + 0.5 * number of statuses on the target. Even one status lets it outdamage basic physicals, and if you let a few statuses pile up it becomes quite impressive indeed. Of note, Noxious Bomb and Corrosive Bomb provide 100% methods to boost its damage further (although they don't do damage and are only range 3 instead of 8), particularly Corrosive due to the def debuff.

It costs 14 MP so it can't be used turn 1, but most other gunner moves cost 6, so it can be used turn 2, and most turns thereafter potentially depending on your actions. It's the most exxpensive gunner move, so MP is rarely something to worry about and I'm not sure I ever used a Mana Stone.

Magic Bullet is highly situational, an MP-costing basic physical which deals magic damage. Only useful against enemies with much lower res than def since it doesn't add or exploit statuses.

Focus doubles the damage of your next turn. Since there's no tempo of adding statuses, it's really only useful on the rare times when you're out of range of any enemy (or at least any enemy you care about), but it does make those turns less wasted.

Their passives are Concentration (+20 hit... gunners basically never miss except against dedicated dodgetanks and even then not often, so this is great... never worry about equipping glasses) and Height Advantage (very situational since few fights let you use it, though a couple that do are reasonably tricky such as the second temple and the final boss... up to +40% damage). Their counter is Teleport Other, which has neat synergy with the rest of their build; if a melee enemy DOES reach you (which they have great trouble doing), you send them the hell away to a random panel.

Overall I found this easier than the Wizard SCC. Some of it is of course just having learned a few fights better (like how blocking blind and sleep both is a good idea against the Gelligh Septimus ambush), but I do think the SCC is legitimately a bit easier. The ability to hang back safely while your enemies kill each other is very powerful.

Notable fights:

Occul Riverbed (the earthwyrms) - Honestly everything before them was pretty easy, but they're certainly tricky! My base damage against them was... 8 at first, I was worried. Fortunately, piling on slow, silence (doesn't do anything, but...), Def Down, and Res Down makes for some mean Opportunistic Bullets, especially if I could pull off a back hit once they rushed out to attack. There are three of them so timing things well to blitz each one was the tricky part, since my supply of the bombs is finite and they're a big deal. They also have Critical: Haste which removes slow, although slow could then remove haste for one attack as well. 2 injuries but no resets.

Godstear Wastes: The first fight with resets (2). I blocked slow (Sapphire Earrings) so that I could safely slow the aeoths myself, but honestly, it's the humans opponents which make this difficult. The enemies start very far away, which might sound favourable but they can do a bunch of scary things at long range, such as buff themselves a lot (barrier is very annoying for my game) and worst of all there's a sorcerer with Initiative who always gets off one attack and can easily get off more, and with my shaky magic durability and no healing each sorcerer spell that lands is a devastating hit to my overall survivability. Had to find the right balance of aggression to push forward against the key enemies while not just getting horribly blitzed by the Warmage and Reaver.

Cataracta Citadel: 3 injuries but no resets at least. Gunners mercifully have innate swim, I block bleed and poison to be able to mess with the bosses safely and of course berserk is great against a bunch of enemies. I have answers to everyone here to varying degrees. Eventually Secunda does close in and do her big damage which I can't really stop but I'm able to keep those rare enough that I'm able to pull through and win.

Primus: He's got resistance to status AND he has a full-MT physical which spreads any status on him to all of my PCs. I still slow him (not sure this is worth it, but it works twice in a row on 25% so hey) and debuff his defences, get all my people slowed and debuffed myself, but I have Opportunistic Shot and he doesn't, so this favours me. 2 injuries but won first try.

Raife 3: It's tempting to berserk the werewolf who does massive damage to his friends but this is a mistake since it wakes him up and that's just one more target to deal with. I win the first time I leave him alone for most of the fight. The malcubus has a Ruby Earring (blocks berserk) and the archafflictor is innately berserk-immune (as they all are, sadly) but I can still berserk the scoundrel and vessel. Once the vessel comes forward a bit, I kill him with damage, which fortunately is quite easy (and the gunner ability to backload damage and then overpower his Critical Rebirth is great). Raife naturally can't get many turns once he's in close, but gets more than he did with wizards, so being careful with my HP so he doesn't kill anyone is important. The bug in the back is terrible as always (since he's basically a sorcerer, see my notes on Godstear Wastes) but eventually once I have control of the fight I can berserk the werewolf and that keeps him awake until I'm ready to kill him with Magic Bullet.

The Maw: Status and kill the various demons, status and kill the viscewyrms (status only lasts one turn on them, but berserk is still nice and I can Opportunistic them as well). A bit tricky because I never have high damage and it's a long fight, but taking the high ground so I can get bonus damage against the boss helps. I ignore the aeoths for the most part, eventually slowing them if they threaten to double. Statusing the boss and then using Opportunistic is of course an option, but again status only lasts one turn and it does transfer to me if I'm adjacent, good thing I never am. Not easy at all and I have four injuries, but I win first try.

Evade Skill is a big pain in the ass but not as bad as Evade Magic was for wizards since range 8 physicals can still put in work.

Maybe.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Divinity Original Sin 2: Definitive Edition -

So I picked this up a couple of months ago after listening to it on WAFF and believe it or not, reading about DSP's misadventures. It sounded cool, so I bought it when it went on discount. I've been playing it for the past 2 months or so now. I did end up setting the difficulty Easy by accident. Mainly because DE gives you 4 difficulty options and I thought they were Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard instead of Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard. Doesn't matter too much because even on "Easy", the game is still fairly difficult. Listening to WAFF did spoil me on some cheese methods of dealing with some fights but some of the hardest encounters in this game are the ones that you can't really prepare for much because this game gives you a lot of freedom. And I mean A LOT.

The best way I can describe this game is that, it's like playing a computer operated game of Dungeons and Dragons. It's a game where the sky is the limit in how you want to approach certain engagements, building your character and of course, what quests you tackle. There's no "BUT THOU MUST" here. If you want to try to do something, chances are the game will let you. Want to set up an ambush with like 20 oil barrels before starting a fight? Go right ahead. Want to drop your enemies into instant death lava? Sure, why not? Want to kill this all around good guy in the town cause you're RPing as a scumbag? Okay, but now everyone around town will hate you. Because of this freedom for creativity though, the game will often put you in positions of disadvantage when you start fights - otherwise it won't have as much of a bite. So playing straight and honest here is tough. One of the more unique things is being able to move your guys when one person is engaged in conversation, so often times, scouting and prepping before the battle by casting buffs can put you on more even footing. You can even get the first strike in fights if you know there will be a fight by attacking while things are still neutral.

And that's just before the encounters take place. You have a lot of customization and character builds that you can do. With DE, you can also freely respec at any time so there's no reason to try different builds until you find something that works. The game operates on 10 school of skills and you can mix and match them as you please, as long as you have the skill points invested in the tree. Warfare, Huntsman and Scoundrel is the physical tree while Fire, Earth, Water, Wind, Polymorph, Necromancy and Summoning is the magic tree. If you want an all elemental caster, you're free to do that and be weaker at dealing damage, but having vast utility by being able to dip into 4 different spell types. You can also do the reverse and just be an one element caster trading your utility for much better damage. To the game's credit, both of these things will work and this is owing to the fact that it gives you a lot of choices on what battles you want to pick and choose. To compensate for a smaller number of schools in the physical tree, the physical branch tends to improve other secondary stats so even spellcasters might consider dipping a few points into them. Warfare improves all physical damage (so it can effect summons and spells that have physical components like Necromancy), Huntsman improves height advantage damage and Scoundrel improves Movement and Crit Damage multiplier. Your also allowed to choose certain passive skills every few levels as well as civil skills such as appraisal, persuasion and bartering. It's a really good character customization system that then gels extremely well with the creativity the combat system allows.

I think the only real downside I can think of is the setting and overarching plot. It's very standard fantasy fare with your elves, dwarves and lizards. However, what DSO 2 lacks in uniqueness of its setting, I think, it makes up for it with much sharper writing. The 6 main PCs all seem to be wonderfully well written and integrated into the game's main plot beats (I say "seem" cause I've only seen 3; the rest I heard about). None of the characters are insufferable. The 3 I have as my companions are all great and grow as you progress on their character quests. Even with the plot, it does something which I very much admire by throwing the player into different moral quandaries and asking the tough questions. For example, during the course of the game, you need to get inside a Magic Academy and to do so, you need to break a code. The game gives you the option of discovering the code by either helping Alexander, the big bad in the 1st arc and generally morally bankrupt person as he agrees to acts of slavery and torture OR you can help out the Sallow Man, a figure who is aligned with the God-King, the satanic figure in this world and often tricks people into a signing a covenant. They both want each other's head and they also both suck, but you're supposed to choose who you're going to help. Of course, since this is DSO 2, you can also kill both (like me), then get in through the obscure back door by doing teleport shenanigans. There are plenty of other dilemmas presented and while you may be able to skip them by doing the obscure 3rd option (since its DSO2), I do appreciate these scenarios. All of them of course, also tie back into an over-arcing theme of the game, which is super neat.

I'll probably have more wrap up thoughts once I'm officially done. I'm about 1/2 way through the last chapter in the game right now so I suspect maybe another week of gameplay. However, if you haven't tried this game and you like D&D, SRPGs, or good writing, I highly, highly recommend it.

Also before I forget - this is a definite DL casting game. Zenny is Trompdoy. Being damned to living eternally while making dick jokes all day is 100% Zenny.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Disgaea 6- fin, or at least fin as I reckon it.

So you can definitely feel the budget on this. The recycling of the main boss in particular is very noticeable. The mechanics have some weird things that feel over complicated or not quite so satisfying, but the changes to how leveling works are so much more interesting (you just get exp on everyone you deployed at the end of a map) it’s hard not to say it’s a net win?

So the core premise is “zombie boy Zed trapped himself in an eternal Isekai loop so he can destroy a powerful god of destruction” and then shenanigans ensue. So the entire rest of the cast are very much specific takes on common other-world archetypes and overall this is probably the best cast dynamic since 4 and the most reliably witty it’s been since 1. I dunno that it’s a better overall experience than those games or 2 but yeesh it’s nice of them to actually put real thought into all this.

On the whole still probably 7/10, but on the high side

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid- blazed through story mode. Very much trying to be budget Netherrealm as a mode (mechanically it’s MvC), but I do feel like it gave you a better sense of how and when to actually deploy mechanics and play the game than those do which is cool. The budget is extremely noticeable, like yeah nah these folk have never made a full game like this before, but it’s quite competent within that framework. Not unlike Fell Seal in that regard, really, although I think FS is more like FFT in a good way than this is like Marvel.  Still, as “for reasons unknowable sometimes I play fighting game story modes” experiences go I don’t have anything actually bad to say about this, just saw ways it could have been better.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - Beat this.

This is the third warriors game I played. What I liked:
-Like other warriors games, it's cool that you can play as a bunch of different characters. Like FEW I appreciated that you can deploy multiple ones in a fight and switch between them.
-The core gameplay is certainly engaging, with major opponents being some of the better ones yet. Learning the various tells of the enemies and responding to the openings they leave is cool. I wasn't sure what I'd think about quickly using the various sheikah slate powers to exploit openings but it ends up feeling pretty fun. I liked how there were multiple versions of each of the boss-type monsters, which are different enough to keep you on your toes. The fights against the Ganon-type enemies late in the game are pretty great (and challenging, at least on Hard). Challenge level's in a pretty good place generally! And if you disagree there are many modes, including a harder one than I played.

My favourite characters to control were Mipha, Urbosa, and Impa. Link's decent too, same with both the bird warriors.

What I liked less:
-Aesthetically I definitely dug this game less than the original Hyrule Warriors. The character designs aren't as vibrant and the music is definitely more of a mixed back; some of it's quite good but I preferred the jammin' rock of HW1 (and FEW for that matter).
-Divine beast sections are awful.
-Aerial combat is pretty janky in general (a bit less so for the characters built around it), and jumping into the air by mashing dodge against a wall can be disastrous.
-I don't think this game is very good at making you care about map management (keeping bases alive and protecting VIPs) compared to HW1 in particular.

It's probably the weakest of the Warriors games I've played which is a shame because I think the core combat is probably the strongest. Still fun.

Dark Deity - I played this. Indie game which is a bit of a Fire Emblem clone Generally recommended, with some reservations.

The main reservations stem from the fact that the game definitely has a bunch of QOL issues and is a bit buggy at points. There's just a fair bit of random jank in there, so if you're gonna play it you probably just have to accept it. Or hope they patch away some of the more annoying problems.

Besides that it's Fire Emblem. Are you here for a large cast of characters with colourful designs, a support system (reminiscent of the modern games in that they're easy to build, thank god), and fun moment-to-moment SRPG combat? Because that's all here too.

Its biggest advantages over most FE games are that it has quite nicely varied map objectives and designs (defend, arrive, escape, time limits, etc.), and also that it has a pretty good take on permadeath where you don't actually lose the character if they die but they will take a random stat penalty (can vary between totally benign and something like 2-3 points in a major stat). You're told what it is immediately so you can still judge if you want to reset, but mostly I didn't. The system makes you care deeply about not losing people (which is important for the tension of FE imo), but also makes it easy to ironman without feeling like you've thrown all your investment for a character in the toilet. Another strength the game has is that, because the game knows that characters will be alive and recruited, the game is able to work a lot of them into the main plot in appropriate ways. There are still a few who basically do nothing but show up very rarely (outside supports - everyone has lots of those), but with a cast of 30 it's to be expected.

Game has a branching promotion system which is reasonably cool, although the slightly awkward thing is that once you hit a certain point in the game, literally everyone shows up and needs to be promoted immediately, and you have to make this choice in the middle of a cutscene (no delaying it). Overall though it's pretty fun. There are six main class lines, each with four branches at Level 10, then another set of four choices (independent of the first) at Level 30, so you get some say in how to build each character. Since you get multiple members of each class line you're free to try building them in different ways. IDK how balanced the choices are but they're at least reasonably interesting, with quite a few classes getting neat passives to play with.

The game does have some definite downsides. Aside from some of the buggy/QOL stuff... the main plot is definitely not great (in that it tends to lurch a bit from one moment to another a bit discordantly), though it does follow the usual FE fashion of at least fleshing out the characters well enough in supports to care (not 3H level of course). Can't say I was a fan of the music either. And the weapon triangle is replaced by an interaction of nine damage types interacting with four armour types which is a bit hard to keep track of and also results in a damage formula which is to complicated to manually calculate (damage projections still exist, but it makes it harder to know if I'm safely exposing someone on enemy phase).

I don't think it's one of the stronger Fire Emblems but it's still a good time.

Notes on some of the PCs I used:

Mages: probably the most impressive class line. 1-2 range is very good, and mages don't really pay for this... in fact they tend to have high HP so they just rule at enemy phase strats in general. All mages also all have the Phase ability (think FEH/FE3H Reposition), and two of their promotions can buff its range which is a bit silly. They also have a promotion which makes ALL their damage drain (only 1/3 health instead of 1/2, but Nosferatu be busted, yo), and a tier 3 class which features 9 move, a phase range boost, and an aura which boosts evade (self included?) which is just silly. They have other good options too and it's nice to vary up which you use somewhat so you cover different damage types. Alden and Sloane were probably my two best PCs; Alden has loads of magic/speed while Sloane is a bit slower but has lots of dex (accuracy/evade... yes this stat matters) and was a silly dodgetank. I also used Monroe who has game-best HP by a lot for... some reason, and Liberty.

Clerics: They can go either physical or magical. They tend to be quite physically tanky which is neat, but also slow and inaccurate so their offence is a little shaky (especially the physical versions) and they are pretty vulnerable to bad matchups. Still, being perfectly serviceable combat units who can also heal is also nice. Their tier 3 class of Phantom also deserves a note for being excellent: mobile, can't lose more than 49% of their health from a non-crit. I used four; Maren's probably the best of them with Live to Serve and stupid-high magic/speed like her brother, Lincoln's not as potent long-term but gets off to a great start (closest thing the game has to a jeigan), Samara has +1 move, and Vesta just has silly tanking (both defences above 40 by the end for me), for the ones I used.

Fighters: They're... okay. Actually I'm just gonna talk about Dragoon. Dragoon has high move, bad stats, but get a crit bonus for every panel they've moved. Fine fine, but not great since crits are only 2x damage in this game and their str is problematic. But then you get an accessory which can swap crit and power and suddenly a dragoon can use this and hit like a truck. And then promote to dragon knight and get even more move. As far as player phase builds go this one's the best, though I'd call this a more enemy phase-favouring game. I used Fenton for this build, and also used Alexa as an axegirl and she was... serviceable I guess, but one of my weaker units. They can shove, which is no Phase but it's fine.

Archers: This is an enemy-phase focused game so archers are gonna be pretty bad... but wait, they do actually hit very hard! I found Garrick quite useful out of the gate in particular. I don't think they age well if kept as archers though, I kept one on my team until the end (Caius) but he was easily my worst unit. Fortunately they can also go to the Strider classline and become very solid melee dodgetanks while having decent damage due to the speed + damage bonus on doubles, I used Maeve for this. Their special is Rally Move.

Rogues: Apparently they can be good melee dodgetanks as well but I was a bit underwhelmed, the only classline I ended up dropping entirely (though Cia was the last person I dropped, so I did use her for over half the game). Their special, Disarm, is also the worst; use an action to prevent an enemy from countering, but it's melee by default, meh whatever.

Adepts: Certainly the weirdest class line; every member of it has balanced str/magic and they can choose between some very different classes. Their special is Chain, a range 1 don't-move effect, pretty situational outside of one build. Their class choices include two mages (which broadly, aren't as good as the proper mages, but one of them boosts Chain's range to 3 at which point this is some Encloser level nonsense and it's quite useful, and they do eventually reach 8 move), a second is a physical melee tank with drain (not as good as mages, again, but hey), and a third is a spear-user which is basically like a FE4 gen 2 swordmaster: fifty billion passives boosting their damage and high evade. Plenty of fun. I used Aurima in the spear line and Thae'lanel in the thunder mage line - Thae himself deserve particular note because he has a killer personal skill which means he can't take more than 30% damage per non-crit hit, allowing him to use an otherwise squishy class very effectively.

Good game, will certainly replay it at some point.

Maybe.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Brig- Did the two knight challenge with Mana Saleesia again. It was much easier this time due to preparation. MS is the hardest country to do this with by a mile due to both an extremely poor selection of knights and a high number of borders to defend.  Every other country can get by with just four teams; MS by default has to use five teams.

Teams at the start:

Rudo/Katri, Emma/Selena, Kyle/Monica, Avril/Cyrus, Titania/Frederico.

So much of managing MS is not only knowing which knights to use, it’s knowing which knights to put where. Rudo’s team went to the southern Mirelava border, Emma went to Sedestoria, Kyle went to Alternia, Avril went to Galest and Titania went to Norbass. Attack plan is Rudo smites the pirates while my secondary teams chip into Guimoule and Gustava. Once I finish with the pirates I sent Rudo up north to finish off Tim and then attack into Norzaleo, leaving Shinobi and Guimoule for last.  One of the biggest advantages of the two knight playthrough is that your knights level up very quickly.  With MS this means you want to put a low level/bad knight with Rudo so you can force them up into competence. Last time I used Veyta which was a mistake (he’s good at even low levels); this time I pick Katri. Katri’s starting rune is irredeemably terrible, but she is an outstanding class so I suck it up and use her. I forced fed her kills until she hit level 20. The AI decided to help and kept on attacking her and Rudo so I got her up to Sniper in a few months. As soon as she hits sniper, I send her north to replace Cyrus.  Veyta replaces her as soon as that happens. That gives me ten no worse than competent knights to use.

Emma/Selena was entirely built out to assassinate Eliza. They are both competent knights so this ended up working well. I thought about classing Emma over to archer but her base stats just aren’t good enough to be worth the hassle; her STR at L10 archer is mid 60’s which is unremarkable. You want to have a Temple Knight to be a hard counter to Eliza as well. Selena was as competent as ever. Sylvie replaced Selena when Rudo promoted as she joined. Kyle/Monica were the only team to not change the entire team.  I put them in by far the most attacked town in the game (Alternia) and they have no problems holding. Kyle and Monica are two of MS's best knights and they manage to hold the fort down. I'm not attacked a ton here. Avril/Cyrus… hoo boy. I used Cyrus here out of desperation. He had slightly higher CP than Veyta who I was trying to level up via questing. Thankfully this team wasn’t attacked until I booted Cyrus for Sniper Katri. Sniper Katri’s rune is still bad but she’s a Sniper with badass STR; I can deal with it.  Once Katri subbed in this team was fine; in particular she was able to kill Ginger without breaking a sweat.

Titania/Frederico quickly turned into Titania/Allen when I realized I didn’t have enough front line units. Frederico is just so bad on stats that even Ranger Allen was an improvement. Speaking of, Ranger Allen sucks. 420~ HP at L12? Get out. I had a half ass plan to dual him down knight and ranger, but I benched him instead when I got Seth from a quest. This was by far the team I used the least; they were the first on the bench for a reason. This was still so much better than the Largo/Frederico dream team from my last two knight playthrough. Grapplers are not only a liability due to gameworst frontline knight durability (No evasion+knockback means they take more damage) but knockback means that they’ll in effect be making it harder to kill melee rune knights.  Two knights focuses even more than usual upon Rune Knight sniping; you just don’t have the power until very late to slug through a wall of meat shields.

Final teams: Rudo/Veyta, Emma/Sylvie, Kyle/Monica, Avril/Katri, Seth/Titania.

Aisha, Gilliam, Jaden, Cyrus, Largo, and Frederico were never used in combat. Allen was only used a few times until I replaced him with Seth. I got Durius, Seth, Alejandro and Ba’al via questing. Alejandro I would have used except that he joined kind of late and didn't have any weapons or armor for him. Seth was quite useful. Durius and Ba’al never got used.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 05:06:54 PM by superaielman »
-------------------